LGBTQ+ Care

Ratings of 1 indicate an unsatisfactory LGBTQ+ care.

Ratings of 10 indicate an excellent LGBTQ+ care.

LGBTQ+ Competent Care
LGBTQ+ Competent Care

Based on reviews from the LGBTQ+ community.

Adrienne Neithardt

Westborough, MA 01580
100 MLK Jr. Blvd. Ste. 300
Worcester, MA 01608

2022, Successful
Our meeting was good. She [Dr. Carla DiGirolamo] was blunt but nice about our prospects and what to expect during the entire process and what we needed to do to increase our chances. We were lucky and got pregnant via our one and only embryo...she was always up front with what to expect and responsive With good bedside manner...I requested multiple transfer and she denied me saying it was too risky to have more then two.
Try to get the email of your [Boston IVF] nurse because my experience trying to get a hold of someone via phone was very hard. The phones never worked when I called. I had a lot of trouble booking my blood tests etc around my work schedule so if possible to book ahead do so...I felt very comfortable with her [Dr. Carla DiGirolamo] and her team, she was always up front with what to expect and responsive With good bedside manner
How was your experience with Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
Our meeting was good. She was blunt but nice about our prospects and what to expect during the entire process and what we needed to do to increase our chances. We were lucky and got pregnant via our one and only embryo
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
Keep an open mind and try to stay positive
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
I felt very comfortable with her and her team, she was always up front with what to expect and responsive With good bedside manner
Describe the protocols Carla DiGirolamo used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Icsi for injecting sperm into my eggs We used estrogen and progesterone medications and a shot to trigger ovulation
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Bryna R)
It was very difficult to get a hold of them via the phone however they were very responsive via email. They were nice and always accommodating
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Try to get the email of your nurse because my experience trying to get a hold of someone via phone was very hard. The phones never worked when I called. I had a lot of trouble booking my blood tests etc around my work schedule so if possible to book ahead do so
Describe the costs associated with your care under Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF.
Mostly covered by insurance
Describe Carla DiGirolamo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
I requested multiple transfer and she denied me saying it was too risky to have more then two. In the end we only had one embryo anyways so it wasn’t even an option if I did try to push it

2022, Unknown Success
[Dr. Alan S. Penzias was] Very informative and detailed in his approach explaining facts on data and science thoroughly. Dr.Penzias was also pleasant with his consult. Being at the age of 41 he didn’t mention a donor or surrogate. He is very professional...Have and ask questions and don’t be afraid to take notes...My initial appointment gave me hope...
[Boston IVF] Offers Telehealth appointments for easy scheduling. Most communication via emails and patient portal, informative and responsive to messages. Always received a response from staff to my questions with care. Always professional...One IVF cycle $13,000. Additional cost associated with IVF $3000 ICSI $1300 embryo freezing $600 anesthesia $1200 assisted hatching. Fees did not included medication.
How was your experience with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
Have and ask questions and don’t be afraid to take notes.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
My initial appointment gave me hope.
Describe the protocols Alan S. Penzias used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
ANTAGONIST PROTOCOL with LUTEAL ESTROGEN GONAL-F/ FOLLISTIM 450units MENOPUR 75 Units hCG(chorionic gonadotropin)/Novarel/Pregnyl – 10,000units
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF.
Describe Alan S. Penzias's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.

2019 - 2022, Unknown Success
Brian Berger is very honest and straightforward, but also sensitive to the information he shares. During a consult, he listens and answers questions and takes the time to go over next steps. I plan to continue my treatments with Dr. Berger...Trust that you're in the best hands...
The [Boston IVF] clinic in Quincy is right off of the highway. Early morning appointments are best, with minimal wait time. One of my only complaints is not having a consistent nurse throughout my cycles. I spoke to several nurses and it was difficult for the nurses to get caught up on current cycle information...The nursing staff is friendly and most are compassionate.
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Trust that you're in the best hands.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
The nursing staff is friendly and most are compassionate.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The clinic in Quincy is right off of the highway. Early morning appointments are best, with minimal wait time. One of my only complaints is not having a consistent nurse throughout my cycles. I spoke to several nurses and it was difficult for the nurses to get caught up on current cycle information.
Quincy

2019 - 2021, Unknown Success
He [Dr. Samuel Pauli] showed compassion for my negative pregnancy test, and chemicals. He was willing to listen to my changes in procedures. He valued my feelings...He was compassionate and understanding. I felt he was just as frustrated with my infertility as I was. He didn’t treat me as a number or a ratings score. He wanted me to finally have the family I’ve wanted for 5 years now...He was always willing to discuss options
Make sure your [Boston IVF] portal and appointment times are the same. Always be clear of what department you are trying to get a hold of like admin or nursing. They email direction for egg retrievals/transfers etc and they are pretty clear of instructions...Nurse Nikki always returned my calls, no matter how silly the question...Insurance covered most. Medication costs were ridiculous
How was your experience with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
Don’t be afraid to advocate for you selves if you have ideas of a treatment plans. He was always willing to discuss options
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
He showed compassion for my negative pregnancy test, and chemicals. He was willing to listen to my changes in procedures. He valued my feelings
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Nikki)
Nurse Nikki always returned my calls, no matter how silly the question. She personally called me once we found out I was going to be expecting twins and was so happy for my. She was equally as devastated when told her we lost them at 9 weeks.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Make sure your portal and appointment times are the same. Always be clear of what department you are trying to get a hold of like admin or nursing. They email direction for egg retrievals/transfers etc and they are pretty clear of instructions
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF.
Insurance covered most. Medication costs were ridiculous
2018 - 2021, Successful
LGBTQ+
decided to go with Dr Pauli for a second try. He is very compassionate and extremely professional. He explains every single detail of my treatment plan as well as why he thinks it's best for my situation. I had a successful egg retrieval cycle in 2020 which resulted in 4 embryos passing PGS. The first FET cycle succeeded, and I had a beautiful 4 month old now...single embryo...
Boston IVF is handling large numbers of patients every single day, they are very experienced with the procedures, strong in embryology and cell culture. Compared to a different clinics that landed me with 0 freezable embryos, Boston IVF got me 4 freezable embryos in one cycle, and my first FET succeeded. I had a very pleasant experience with Boston IVF....
How was your experience with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
I had a failed IVF at another clinic in 2018, and decided to go with Dr Pauli for a second try. He is very compassionate and extremely professional. He explains every single detail of my treatment plan as well as why he thinks it's best for my situation. I had a successful egg retrieval cycle in 2020 which resulted in 4 embryos passing PGS. The first FET cycle succeeded, and I had a beautiful 4 month old now. All thanks to Dr. Pauli!
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Nurses are responsive to questions in voice mail; they call every day promptly once blood work + ultrasound results are back so that I know how to proceed.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe Samuel Pauli's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
single embryo

2017 - 2020, Unknown Success
LGBTQ+
Dr. Resetkova has sat and listened to me cry, both in person and over the phone, and has been so compassionate. She definitely does not just see us as a number, she has called me anytime she hears about a possible study or alternative, such as a clinic in LA that will allow same sex couples to adopt embryos, that may help us successfully achieve pregnancy...she goes out of her way to find ways to make this journey very individualized, to minimize your fears and help you understand this journey.
Layunda, or "Lou" [nurse at Boston IVF] as she is called, is so sweet and compassionate, she has always been so friendly and upbeat, and has been so supportive when things don't go as we want them to...The office opens early for monitoring appointments, which is great. On the weekends all monitoring is done at the Waltham office, and all procedures are done at the Waltham office, so the doctor that does your egg retrieval or embryo transfer may not be your primary physician but, the ENTIRE team is wonderful and so caring. My most recent post-op nurse was so attentive and helped me manage the pain I was having with such compassion.
How was your experience with Nina Resetkova at Boston IVF?
I have had nothing but positive experiences with the team at BostonIVF South Shore, from the administrative staff, nurses, phlebotomist, ultrasound techs, and Dr. Resetkova. Everyone is so kind and seems to be genuinely interested in you and your path to parenthood. I can be open an honest with them about how all of this feels, and how frustrating an infertility diagnosis is. They were genuinely happy when we did achieve a pregnancy, and they cried with us when we lost that pregnancy. I feel so completely supported by the team at BostonIVF.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Nina Resetkova at Boston IVF?
Be honest and open with her about your concerns, she goes out of her way to find ways to make this journey very individualized, to minimize your fears and help you understand this journey.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Nina Resetkova at Boston IVF?
Describe the protocols Nina Resetkova used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
I did several un-medicated IUI cycles, then moved onto medicated IUI cylces, non of which resulted in pregnancy. We tried cycles with clomid, and FSH. Then we moved onto IVF, my first IVF cycle started with a short period of oral contraceptive then with used Gonal-F and Menopur to stimulated. We started with lower doses of the Gonal-F and increased as needed with monitoring. This cycle produced very few eggs and was converted to an IUI cycle which was unsuccessful. The next IVF cycle started with high doses of Gonal-F and Menopur, with this cycle we retrieved 8 eggs, more then she expected, 6 fertilized and 2 made it to good quality day 5 blastocysts. We opted not to test our embryos because we were worried with limited numbers we could risk losing them. We transferred both of these embryos and I was pregnant but, lost the baby to a trisomy at 18 weeks. My mos recent IVF cycle we followed the same medication plan, high doses of Gonal F and Menopur, we got 3 eggs, and 2 fertilized. We transferred both of these embryos on day 3. We are now in a holding period because of the COVID 19 pandemic. I am taking an oral contraceptive now in preparation for a hopeful cycle start in May. At that time we will be using Gonal F, Lupron, and Menopur (I believe).
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Layunda)
Layunda, or "Lou" as she is called, is so sweet and compassionate, she has always been so friendly and upbeat, and has been so supportive when things don't go as we want them to.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Nina Resetkova at Boston IVF.
Some of my care was covered under insurance but, some was not. In total I believe we have spent over $10,000 on fertility treatments.
Describe Nina Resetkova's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Our physician explained to us that given my age, the likelihood of multiple pregnancy was low as we would likely lose 1/2 of the embryos transferred. If we retrieve more than 5 eggs that successfully fertilize we will wait until day 5 if possible and transfer 2, if we get less then 5 we will transfer on day 3 and will transfer up to 3 embryos based on quality.
Nina Resetkova
South Shore (closed)

She [Dr. Murphy] is very informative. She answers every question you have with a straight answer. She doesn't give false hope and she will tell you what to expect. Even with only one failed round, I am very eager to start my next round with her as my doctor because this is not an 100% chance thing and with her as my doctor I feel like my odds increase!
Boston ivf is very clean, organized, and friendly. The office is warm and inviting. They support any kind of couples. The nurses and doctors are great with names and faces with all the people they see daily. ... Dr. Murphy suggested 1 embryo transfer because of my age and heath. ... I can't remember her name but she was the beta nurse, always called me early on the days I went in for ultrasounds. Always called me back within the hour if I had a question for her.
How was your experience with Lauren Murphy at Boston IVF?
She is very informative. She answers every question you have with a straight answer. She doesn't give false hope and she will tell you what to expect. Even with only one failed round, I am very eager to start my next round with her as my doctor because this is not an 100% chance thing and with her as my doctor I feel like my odds increase!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lauren Murphy at Boston IVF?
Ask her any questions you have. She will always answer you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lauren Murphy at Boston IVF?
Dr. Murphy was very kind and always answered my questions even if I thought they were stupid questions. She made me feel like no question is stupid. She gave me everything I needed to know and didn't give me false hope.
Describe the protocols Lauren Murphy used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
In my cycle I used menopur, ganirelix, and follistim for my egg retrieval. I got 19 eggs, 8 were fertilized and 4 made it to day 5. 1 was transferred, 2 were frozen. I started progesterone the day after my egg retrieval until after my negative pregnancy test.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lauren Murphy at Boston IVF.
I reached my out of pocket maximum because of a surgery I had prior to starting ivf so I didn't have to pay much for ivf. My lifetime max is 25k and meds is 10k, I reached my med maximum very quickly but I paid nothing for almost all of the medications, except 1 that wasn't covered and my nurse got me a very good price.
Describe Lauren Murphy's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Dr. Murphy suggested 1 embryo transfer because of my age and heath.
Brookline Fertility Center

She [Dr. Carla DiGirolamo] is very straight forward with information, but also explains everything well. Interactions with her are limited. Her personality isn’t very warm, but you can still tell she does care an did compassionate about what you’re going through. She doesnt seem to be open to my suggestions sometime as I’m not a healthcare professional. She recently emailed to check on me during the pandemic which was surprising, but very nice and thoughtful!
Their [Boston IVF] online portal need a lot of help. I wish they would utilize it more to get information to their patients quicker. They are clean and organized. Their method of sign in is good if it’s looked at carefully by the nurses (I’ve been skipped before). Everyone I’ve interacted with at both locations have been very warm and helpful...No one checked in on me and how i was doing during and after each cycles result.
How was your experience with Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
She is very straight forward with information, but also explains everything well. Interactions with her are limited. Her personality isn’t very warm, but you can still tell she does care an did compassionate about what you’re going through. She doesnt seem to be open to my suggestions sometime as I’m not a healthcare professional. She recently emailed to check on me during the pandemic which was surprising, but very nice and thoughtful!
Don’t let your initial reaction to her personality steer you away. She does know what she is doing and she does care, even if it can seem like she doesn’t.
I only got to speak with her twice in the last few months. No one checked in on me and how i was doing during and after each cycles result.
We were given a treatment plan of injections and IUI procedure. Cd 3 start Gonal-F, ultrasound scans and bloodwork every other day, once follicles we’re mature take Ovidrel (trigger shot) then scheduled IUI. We did this twice with a negative result. We were set to try a 3rd time but the pandemic happened. The reason for 3 was insurance purposes. She said she felt confident that we would have good results.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Brynna )
She is very compassionate and takes the time to answer all questions. She also calls back in timely fashion.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Their online portal need a lot of help. I wish they would utilize it more to get information to their patients quicker. They are clean and organized. Their method of sign in is good if it’s looked at carefully by the nurses (I’ve been skipped before). Everyone I’ve interacted with at both locations have been very warm and helpful.
Consultation cost us $150.00 out of pocket. Each medication was $30 per refill/per drug. I haven’t received full billing amount for all cycles yet.

2018 - 2020, Unsuccessful
The first appointment [with Dr. Penzias] was very detailed and helpful. We felt we were in good hands. Some of the follow up appointments did not seem as helpful and i was not always sure of what to do next...We tried Letrozole first. I was happy with this as we wanted to try to conceive naturally. The drug seemed to be prescribed based on my age. We did IUIs next as we had no insurance
She [Boston IVF nurse] is happy to explain next steps and what blood tests are being done and what the results mean...I think the blood lab is the best feature. They are friendly, quick and painless and despite only seeing them a couple of minutes at a time they make an effort to remember your name and whats going on with your life. It is great that there are so many tests available in the clinic...I have a copay for each appointment. IUI we paid for out of pocket at roughly $500. The drugs were $500. This came as a surprise to us
How was your experience with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
The first appointment was very detailed and helpful. We felt we were in good hands. Some of the follow up appointments did not seem as helpful and i was not always sure of what to do next. Until Covid it was very hard to get an appointment and normally required one month wait. This feels like forever when battling a ticking body clock. I liked that he used my data to figure out next steps. I did not feel especially like the treatment was custom made for me but we have not yet been able to start an IVF cycle. It was nice that he tried to enrol us in a clinical trial.
Make a list of all your questions before you go in else the appointment will be very short and you will feel unsatisfied
The first appointment was really helpful. He was very kind in the last appointment as I have been waiting so long. Dr P likes statistics and sometimes I feel like I am one of them.
We tried Letrozole first. I was happy with this as we wanted to try to conceive naturally. The drug seemed to be prescribed based on my age. We did IUIs next as we had no insurance. This was more of our decision due to cost. I feel like if we had insurance we would have jumped straight to IVF
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Lisa)
I feel like I speak to my nurse at least a couple of times per month as i have so many period issues. She is very helpful and clear and gets back to me very quickly. She is happy to explain next steps and what blood tests are being done and what the results mean. I have never called any medical professional this much and I don't get the feeling I am bugging her
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
I think the blood lab is the best feature. They are friendly, quick and painless and despite only seeing them a couple of minutes at a time they make an effort to remember your name and whats going on with your life. It is great that there are so many tests available in the clinic. The Domar center is an awesome resource and I think it would be helpful to advertise their services particularly the mind body program more prominently. The weakness is that they are so busy it is hard to get appointments to see the doctor.

2019 - 2020, 13 Eggs Frozen
2 Egg Freezing With Other Docs
Dr. Berger took the time to understand my condition. He listened to me and diagnosed something I had my entire adult life and had gone undiagnosed for years...Within minutes of speaking with me and looking at my results he had determined that I had lean pcos. As he described symptoms that I’d had my entire life, I was in disbelief that someone I’d met minutes before had finally figured me out...
[Boston IVF is] Organized kind and helpful. Note that they are extremely busy (you may have to wait a bit to see Dr. Berger for first apt so do not hesitate to call now) but always call back as promised and are extremely helpful with scheduling...I did egg retrieval which was self pay. I believe cost was around $6,500 plus drugs...
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Where to begin? I started my egg freeze process just about one year ago with a different doctor. All of my initial labs came back great. My first and second round of treatment ended with a terrible result (compared to what was expected). I ended up with only 3 mature eggs each time. The doctor I was seeing at the time diagnosed me with unexplained diminished ovarian reserve and more or less wrote me off. At this time, I went to Dr. Berger for a second opinion. Within minutes of speaking with me and looking at my results he had determined that I had lean pcos. As he described symptoms that I’d had my entire life, I was in disbelief that someone I’d met minutes before had finally figured me out. I was relieved but cautiously optimistic because of 2 bad cycles with the previous doctor. I began treatment for pcos. I just got back from my cycle with dr. Berger. I had 16 eggs retrieved and 13 frozen. That is four times what I got in my two previous cycles. I am so thankful I found Dr. Berger. Had I not gone to him for a second opinion I may never have known I had pcos and might have never figured this out. Additionally, he was extremely kind and informative. I cannot recommend him enough. Thank you Dr. Berger !!!!
Put your faith in his expertise!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Describe the protocols Brian Berger used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Metformin to treat pcos Began estradiol one week before cycle day 1 Gonal f with decreasing dosage as treatment went on Low dose hcgc Certrotide Ovradil to trigger
Kind and helpful!
Waltham

Dr. Sneeringer recommended eSET for our first transfers, but after 2 unsuccessful tries, was open to transferring two for us...we appreciated her kindness and bedside manner. She was always up to date on our case, empathetic, and confident. She was open to any and all questions, and was thorough in explaining things to us. She tailored my testing to me specifically based on family history (adding some additional genetic tests after discussing my mother's fertility history)
Boston IVF is definitely a huge clinic, but we wanted that. We wanted a clinic that was invested in our success. Make sure you get to know your nurse coordinator, and know that you'll always leave a message on the nurse line and it will be returned in a timely manner. All of the lab and ultrasound staff are amazing as well. Morning monitoring is a seamless procedure at Boston IVF.
How was your experience with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
Dr. Sneeringer was a great fit for us, we appreciated her kindness and bedside manner. She was always up to date on our case, empathetic, and confident. She was open to any and all questions, and was thorough in explaining things to us. She tailored my testing to me specifically based on family history (adding some additional genetic tests after discussing my mother's fertility history).
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
Dr. Sneeringer was very kind, and we always appreciated our consultations with her. We felt supported by her and her team.
Describe the protocols Rita Sneeringer used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
I did a basic antagonist protocol - 10 days of BCP, then 11 days of Gonal-F with the last 5 days adding Cetrotide. I did Ovidrel trigger for all procedures. She kept me on a mid-range protocol and wanted middle-of-the-road results for me, which she said we achieved.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF.
The nursing staff was excellent, all of my medications were ordered without hiccup. My calls were always returned in a timely manner, and even weekend and after-hours staff were wonderful.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF.
My care was completely covered by my insurance, except for my deductible for my egg retrieval.
Describe Rita Sneeringer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
2017 - 2020, Unsuccessful
During the first IUI cycle [with Dr. Pauli], we started with the lowest dose and incremented up until I was on the highest dose plus dexamethasone. For our egg retrieval, he had me do an antagonist protocol with Cetrotide. I don't know the rationale for this protocol over others, but I responded will in terms of follicles/mature eggs produced...he strongly suggested elective single embryo transfers for the first two transfers. After that, he seemed more amenable to doing a multiple embryo transfer if I pushed for that but still recommended single embryo transfers.
A few times I have not received a call [from Boston IVF] with details about the results of some diagnostic tests. I also had an incident during my third IUI where I received a false result. A mechanical malfunction caused my beta result to be recorded as positive rather than negative...is a large fertility clinic, which has advantages and disadvantages. One of the pros is that monitoring and time sensitive procedures (IUIs, retrievals, transfers) happen every day of the week, and with the exception of scheduling consultations with my RE, I'm able to schedule tests/procedures without huge delays/waits. The cons are that care may not be as personalized as it is at smaller clinics with fewer patients.
How was your experience with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
Dr. Pauli has been fantastic. I really appreciate his straightforward manner. He's approach tends to be more conservative and while I have not gotten pregnant yet, I don't think this is a reflection of his clinical skills.
Ask lots of questions. Dr. Pauli always seemed willing to answer all my questions and explain his rationale for my treatment plans, and asking questions helped me to understand.
Dr. Pauli has really listened to my concerns, answered my questions compassionately, and was receptive when I asked about alternative transfer protocols.
Describe the protocols Samuel Pauli used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
We did three IUIs with Dr. Pauli using letrozole, which he selected because the academic research indicates women with PCOS tend to respond better to letrozole than clomid. During the first IUI cycle, we started with the lowest dose and incremented up until I was on the highest dose plus dexamethasone. For our egg retrieval, he had me do an antagonist protocol with Cetrotide. I don't know the rationale for this protocol over others, but I responded will in terms of follicles/mature eggs produced. On retrieval day, we got 21 eggs, 16 mature eggs, 16 fertilized, and 6 embryos frozen on day 5. I did develop mild OHSS. For the first two frozen embryo transfers, Dr. Pauli had me on a birth control and Lupron down regulation then estrogen in increasing doses before starting progesterone in oil after a lining check. Both transfers resulted in negative betas. We switched to ovulation induction with letrozole and an HCG triggers shot for the third embryo transfer, which resulted in a chemical pregnancy. I stopped responding to letrozole, so we switched back to the original transfer protocol and did an ERA, which showed that I was 1 day pre-receptive and needed an additional 24 hours of progesterone. Our fourth embryo transfer resulted in a missed miscarriage between 6 and 8 weeks. Fifth transfer resulted in a negative beta test.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Nicki)
Nurse Nicki primarily manages my care, and she has been fantastic. Occasionally, one of the other nurses on Dr. Pauli's team will manage my care and they have also been great. They almost always return my call on the same day if not within an hour or two of leaving a message.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
BostonIVF (which merged with IVF NE a couple years ago) is a large fertility clinic, which has advantages and disadvantages. One of the pros is that monitoring and time sensitive procedures (IUIs, retrievals, transfers) happen every day of the week, and with the exception of scheduling consultations with my RE, I'm able to schedule tests/procedures without huge delays/waits. The cons are that care may not be as personalized as it is at smaller clinics with fewer patients.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF.
My insurance has covered the majority of my costs.
In my situation, he strongly suggested elective single embryo transfers for the first two transfers. After that, he seemed more amenable to doing a multiple embryo transfer if I pushed for that but still recommended single embryo transfers.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
A few times I have not received a call with details about the results of some diagnostic tests. I also had an incident during my third IUI where I received a false result. A mechanical malfunction caused my beta result to be recorded as positive rather than negative.
Gloucester (closed)
Dr Pauli was always really attentive and informed whenever we met with him. He explained every detail and possibility for us. Sometimes, he would call me after hours to update me on results or if I was having an issue with the clinic...[he] is incredibly generous with his time and knowledge and making us feel like we're moving forward
The doctors [at Boston IVF] are great. If your IVF is pretty straight forward, then I'm sure you'll have no issues going through the process, but do not expect the nurses or the clinicians to know your case or even glance at it before they call you for anything other than routine med calls during your cycle...I went two months without a period and no one wondered where I was or what my status was, so you absolutely have to be your own advocate otherwise, you won't make a jot of progress.
How was your experience with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
Dr Paul is incredibly generous with his time and knowledge and making us feel like we're moving forward. He was recommended to us by my OB-GYN because of his compassion and his expertise which are not exaggerated.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
The nursing staff at Boston IVF are the gatekeepers to your doctor. Every time you ask a question about some element of your treatment, you get the stock answer. Do not expect anyone to be familiar with your file or listen when you explain to them that you have x issue, they are not intimately familiar with your case nor do they care. They're used to straightforward IVF procedures, not nuance.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
This place is an actual disaster. The doctors are great. If your IVF is pretty straight forward, then I'm sure you'll have no issues going through the process, but do not expect the nurses or the clinicians to know your case or even glance at it before they call you for anything other than routine med calls during your cycle. Insurance is an actual disaster and you need to stay on them because you'll lose serious time with oversights. (Example: For me, they wasted two months trying to file my medications with a prescription that doesn't work with my insurance and insisting that I was wrong and telling me to call. No.) Their delays will cost you, for me, it meant three surgeries, one that I wouldn't have required had they been competent. Some of this competency is due to their insurance and authorization people being understaffed and clearly uninformed or unfamiliar. Finally, they basically leave you to manage your own care. No one is holding your hand through this or keeping-up with you. I went two months without a period and no one wondered where I was or what my status was, so you absolutely have to be your own advocate otherwise, you won't make a jot of progress.
$3000
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
They called my prescriptions in to the wrong pharmacy, a pharmacy not even ASSOCIATED with my insurance. For six weeks I waited for pre-authorizations which were not received. I was told to call the pharmacy and they said they never received the authorizations. It was clear that no one at Boston IVF knew what they were doing and the nursing team was tasked with spending six hours on the phone to figure this out instead of the insurance or billing people. I have had multiple delays due to Covid-19, clerical errors that resulted in additional surgeries, and additional stressors. The lack of attention to your record is a huge issue with the assumption that all patients are simply impatient.
Lexington Fertility Center

Dr. Wright is very direct. This does not work for everyone but worked for us. She also talked about what our next steps were and answered every question we had on our list. After 3 failed IUIs she brought us in again to talk about next steps...When my husband explained how all the treatment me were getting me down, she gave us a list of counselors to try...
They [the Boston IVF nurses] are the ones you see most while doing blood work and ultrasounds. They kept me calm or calmed me down when I was upset. They are always prompt in calling you back...They are in the process of moving to a bigger clinic. The only negative is my husband had to collect his sample in the bathroom instead of a collection room like the branch in Mass. has, which made him uncomfortable since it was so close to reception. Overall not a big deal. I like how there aren’t many people in there at any one time.
How was your experience with Kristen Wright at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kristen Wright at Boston IVF?
If you have questions ask.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kristen Wright at Boston IVF?
Dr. Wright is very direct and answers all questions asked. When my husband explained how all the treatment me were getting me down, she gave us a list of counselors to try.
Describe the protocols Kristen Wright used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
3 rounds of IUI with letrozol. I had many diagnostic testing before this. On the last round when my body wasn’t responding she up my letrozol and increased monitoring. I believe she did everything she could do before she said we couldn’t inseminate that last round.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
The staff here is amazing. They are the ones you see most while doing blood work and ultrasounds. They kept me calm or calmed me down when I was upset. They are always prompt in calling you back.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The Bedford branch has been great. They are in the process of moving to a bigger clinic. The only negative is my husband had to collect his sample in the bathroom instead of a collection room like the branch in Mass. has, which made him uncomfortable since it was so close to reception. Overall not a big deal. I like how there aren’t many people in there at any one time.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kristen Wright at Boston IVF.
I don’t remember all the individual costs with the diagnostic testing. An office visit costs almost $400 without a referral. IUI cost $1,200 plus meds.
Describe Kristen Wright's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Kristen Wright
2018 - 2020, Successful
he [Dr. Samuel Pauli] may not come off as the warmest doctor in the practice, but he is highly skilled, and takes you as his patient into consideration with all of his plans...after working with him for several months we appreciated his level of in depth explanation and his approach to our case...He treated us with care and respect, took the time to answer any questions we had, and explained what our other doctor never took the time to review with us.
The clinic [Boston IVF] is clean, welcoming, and comfortable. This experience can be very overwhelming and it is nice that they have so many different satellite offices to fit your needs. I always felt comfortable in all locations...The nursing staff is always so great. You see them often through all parts of your cycle so the emotions are all over the place. They are always upbeat, informative and helpful...It [monitoring] was efficient and quick
How was your experience with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
Dr. Pauli came highly recommended to us after a not so positive experience with another doctor at another clinic. Upon our first meeting he put our minds at ease with his overall knowledge and handling of our case. He treated us with care and respect, took the time to answer any questions we had, and explained what our other doctor never took the time to review with us. He is extremely educated in the fertility process, so it can come off as cold at first but after working with him for several months we appreciated his level of in depth explanation and his approach to our case. Not only would I recommend him to my best friend, I did!
Understand he may not come off as the warmest doctor in the practice, but he is highly skilled, and takes you as his patient into consideration with all of his plans.
Dr Pauli explain each procedure thoroughly and answered all of our questions. He gave his opinions and listened to ours.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The clinic is clean, welcoming, and comfortable. This experience can be very overwhelming and it is nice that they have so many different satellite offices to fit your needs. I always felt comfortable in all locations
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Boston IVF.
It was efficient and quick
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF.
Most of my care was covered under my health insurance plan
Lexington Fertility Center

Dr. Berger was a breath of fresh air...really took my diagnosis into account in planning my cycle and monitored my progress very closely...made me feel very informed and like my protocol was truly customized...even called me on a Saturday without prompting to let me know his plans during my cycle as I progressed...I don’t believe I would have my beautiful twins if it weren’t for him and his attention to my case.
The clinic [Boston IVF] is a well oiled machine. Lots of personnel and great hours to be able to fit you in. I appreciated the patient portal and regular communication. It can sometimes feel like it’s too big but I still felt like I got to know the staff well...[Dr. Berger] really took my diagnosis into account in planning my cycle and monitored my progress very closely. I don’t believe I would have my beautiful twins if it weren’t for him and his attention to my case.
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Dr. Berger was a breath of fresh air after my first doctor. He really took my diagnosis into account in planning my cycle and monitored my progress very closely. I don’t believe I would have my beautiful twins if it weren’t for him and his attention to my case.
Get on the schedule as early as possible as he is very busy and don’t be afraid to ask any question.
He made me feel very informed and like my protocol was truly customized. He even called me on a Saturday without prompting to let me know his plans during my cycle as I progressed.
Estrogen priming, step down protocol with FSH and hcg
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
All the staff at Boston IVF have always been fantastic.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The clinic is a well oiled machine. Lots of personnel and great hours to be able to fit you in. I appreciated the patient portal and regular communication. It can sometimes feel like it’s too big but I still felt like I got to know the staff well.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Berger at Boston IVF.
All covered under insurance except for co-pays for appointments and meds ($20/appt, $30/med)
Describe Brian Berger's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Given my significant DOR, both doctors I saw felt multiple embryo transfer was appropriate to maximize chances. I am somewhat young and in very good health so was a good candidate for carrying twins as my OB explained.
Waltham
Dr Murphy forgot repeatedly what had happened in my history (she forgot about my chromosomally normal pregnancies, about a chemical pregnancy, about the fact that she prescribed and that I took letrozole for one cycle) ... Make sure to understand your own course; she is not reliable ...
Boston IVF is an older office with not a lot of space, but they are efficient and the office and nursing staff are very nice. This was convenient for me and covered by my insurance, so that was good. Parking is expensive. ... The majority of cost was picked up by my insurance; anything that would not be was discussed in advance.
How was your experience with Lauren Murphy at Boston IVF?
Make sure to understand your own course; she is not reliable
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lauren Murphy at Boston IVF.

2020, Consult
Dr Carla [DiGirolamo] is empathetic and compassionate...she is never rushed, tries to understand the problem, work on the diagnosis, and make sure all treatments/risks are fully explained. While she presents options as a doctor, she also gives a good balance of helping us select options we prefer
Strengths: Boston IVF Waltham and Westborough offices are both great clinics with some wonderful doctors and nurses. They are very organized such that wait times are minimal too. Weaknesses: Yet to begin treatment, so can't say yet
How was your experience with Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
Dr Carla is empathetic and compassionate. It has been a pleasure working with her as she is never rushed, tries to understand the problem, work on the diagnosis, and make sure all treatments/risks are fully explained. While she presents options as a doctor, she also gives a good balance of helping us select options we prefer (instead of doctors not giving us enough information and expecting patients to decide on their own).
Go for it!
Dr Carla was patient, empathetic and open to hearing about all previous treatments/alternate treatments as well. She was never rushed, and made sure I and my spouse had all my questions covered. She also made sure to get into as much detail as we'd like to understand treatments. Look forward to the actual treatment and result with her when we get to it!
Yet to begin any treatment
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Shelby Sparby)
Shelby has been the most compassionate and helpful through the entire experience
Office/outpatient visit $443
Yet to begin any treatment

2019 - 2020, Consult
She [Dr. Carla DiGirolamo] took time to answer all my questions and was able to explain everything in a way that I understood...She was very open to answering any questions that I had so I made sure to think of as much as I could before hand...She took time to answer all my questions and was able to explain everything in a way that I understood...I have not started treatment yet but she has suggested an unmedicated IUI.
[staff of Boston IVF] Everyone that I have come into contact in person or on the phone has been very kind and patient. They are able to explain any questions that I have had and don't rush through it...Come prepared with any questions you may have. She [Dr. DiGirolamo] was very open to answering any questions that I had so I made sure to think of as much as I could before hand.
How was your experience with Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
She took time to answer all my questions and was able to explain everything in a way that I understood. She also was not at all judgmental (something I was afraid of going into the first appointment).
Come prepared with any questions you may have. She was very open to answering any questions that I had so I made sure to think of as much as I could before hand.
She was honest and I did not feel rushed in appointments. She took time to explain everything.
I have not started treatment yet but she has suggested an unmedicated IUI.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
The nurses were amazing. The were kind and the woman who took my blood was the best I have ever had. No bruise left which never has happened before.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Everyone that I have come into contact in person or on the phone has been very kind and patient. They are able to explain any questions that I have had and don't rush through it. Everyone seems to really care.

2014 - 2019, Unknown Success
[Dr. Rita Sneeringer] was easy to speak with, gave facts in a kind manner...She is conservative with the medical technology and prefers to "put the eggs through hoops" with lab growth then genetic testing...does not prefer to have Day 3, Day 5 transfers. Prefers genetic screening then frozen transfer. Prefers 2 embryos at most...I felt she brought up donor eggs too early after one unsuccessful cycle
[Boston IVF] Primary care nurse was professional but not compassionate. Made statements that weren't necessary. I had to insist on email to have better communication...all my surgeries were also at the clinic and I felt at ease with the surgical team...Egg freezing cycles = $15,000-17,000. 3 elective frozen egg cycles. Human growth hormone = $3,000.
How was your experience with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
Dr. Sneeringer is probably one of the best in the industry. She is compassionate, friendly, and genuinely wants to see you succeed. She knows when to also be firm and assert her expertise. She did let me ask about novel protocols, etc. The one issue is she is conservative and plays it safe. I was also using frozen eggs. She insisted on developing the eggs past 5 day blasts and having genetic testing on both fresh and frozen eggs. After several failed cycles I asked for a Day 3 transfer and she agreed to a Day 5 transfer. That helped me conceive. But we used every egg and I have no frozen eggs left. I often wish we had done a Day 5 transfer on earlier cycles. Or we had frozen the one remaining embryo that was left with the frozen egg at Day 5. I may have been able to have one more child?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
Dr. Sneeringer is one of the best fertility specialists. She is genuine and cares. Some people prefer a stronger voice, but she is professional and asserts her medical expertise when necessary. She is conservative with the medical technology and prefers to "put the eggs through hoops" with lab growth then genetic testing. I felt she brought up donor eggs too early after one unsuccessful cycle. But otherwise, every interaction with her was professional and with the highest level of medical attention and care.
MD was easy to speak with, gave facts in a kind manner. Head nurse had little bedside manner and even made a statement saying that I shouldn't expect good results as I have low ovarian reserve. It was psychologically difficult process and did not need to be exacerbated.
Cycle 1 - 4 Frozen, Fresh retrieval Cycle 2 - 3 Frozen, Fresh retrieval Cycle 3 - 0 Frozen, Fresh retrieval - Genetic Screening - 1 AA embryo, Frozen transfer Cycle 4 - 7 Frozen, Fresh retrieval - 1 BB embryo and one morula, Day 5 transfer, 1 conception (no genetic screening due to day 5 transfer) Strategies used: 7% chance of frozen eggs working, so best to have fresh cycles with frozen eggs. Always use genetic screening to be safe even with eggs frozen at age 35 and 36.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Meg Kennedy)
Primary care nurse was professional but not compassionate. Made statements that weren't necessary. I had to insist on email to have better communication. Also, I'm in meetings all day, open office, and wireless firewalls for mobile phone issues. The secondary nurse, Bonnie, was much easier to work with, understood how/why I needed to communication using certain means.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
I chose a suburban clinic and not a hospital so that I could receive better 1 on 1 attention. It was much more pleasant than going into a clinical setting. I liked that all my surgeries were also at the clinic and I felt at ease with the surgical team. Weakness was easily being able to get to the clinic. Luckily, my physician also worked in a clinic near my home and I was able to get monitoring and blood work there and still make it to work on time.
Dr. Sneeringer does not prefer to have Day 3, Day 5 transfers. Prefers genetic screening then frozen transfer. Prefers 2 embryos at most. Conservative with number of embryos to be transferred.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
I personally took paper documents to another IVF clinic. An electronic transfer would have been easier. However, that was the only issue. There were never drug Rx mistakes or surgical mistakes.
IUI With Other Docs
As a patient I had very limited interactions with Dr. Wright. She did call after a cancelled cycle which I thought was appropriate. I did feel like the info structure as a whole was like an “IVF Farm” one in and one out. I had to be persistent if I felt something didn’t seem right...The best description I can give is that all my conversations with her were very transactional. Only when I pushed back or questioned something were changes made. I had to trust my instincts and question everything to have treatment adapted to me and my situation and not cookie cutter.
The nursing staff [at Boston IVF] were very caring. Some days it took a while to call back; however, I feel that may have been more related to the whole system...Cancelled cycle was - 5,500 included retrieval but no transfer. Medication each cycle was 1,700...Strengths - open every day of the week, numerous locations, nursing staff Weaknesses - big clinic feel, you are a number and must advocate for yourself every step of the way if not you fall on the standard protocol which may not best for your body. It’s overwhelming and they move so fast by the time you are back in your car your head is spinning. Ask then to slow down and explain everything in detail. Ask lots of questions.
How was your experience with Kristen Wright at Boston IVF?
As a patient I had very limited interactions with Dr. Wright. She did call after a cancelled cycle which I thought was appropriate. I did feel like the info structure as a whole was like an “IVF Farm” one in and one out. I had to be persistent if I felt something didn’t seem right. While Dr. Wright has done this hundreds of time it was my first time seeking IVF treatment so you have to advocate yourself.
Ask questions. A lot of questions. If the questions come later call and ask them. Don’t wait - this is your body and your potential child.
2 cycles of an antagonist cycle, Gonal-F 300 iu, menapur 150iu - 225iu, then cetrotide for the last few days. Triggered with 10,000iu of HCG.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Marianne)
The nursing staff were very caring. Some days it took a while to call back; however, I feel that may have been more related to the whole system.
Kristen Wright

Embryo Freezing With Other Docs
I felt like he [Samuel Pauli] looked into my case individually and didn’t give me a blank diagnosis and treatment....Coming from a doctor with no bedside manner Dr. Pauli is a breathe of fresh air. He has a sense of humar which is needed in this journey...He isn’t in the business’s of making multiples and does what’s best for you to not have a high risk pregnancy....
Friendly phlebotomist and ultrasound techs. Clean and modern office [Boston IVF Lexington]. Always on time for morning blood work and monitoring which I appreciate to get to work on time. Once I showed up to the wrong office and instead of making me leave and travel to another office they handled it like no big deal and fit me right in, I didn’t even have to wait. The awesome nurse knowing I’m self pay suggested I may qualify for a discount I wasn’t aware of. They also gave me med samples from the sample closet to save me a significant amount of money. New policy: sometimes you sign into the portal to look at results but it’s hard to make sense of the hormone levels.
How was your experience with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
Coming from a doctor with no bedside manner Dr. Pauli is a breathe of fresh air. He has a sense of humar which is needed in this journey and comes highly recommended in the online support group I’m in.
If you’re looking to pick a fertility doctor or make a change go for it!
I felt like he looked into my case individually and didn’t give me a blank diagnosis and treatment.
changing my injections as needed to keep follicles growing while also trying to prevent OHSS.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Brittany )
Goes above and beyond!! She gave me extra samples of meds since I’m self pay, filled out multiple papers for applying for scholarships and always calls in the afternoon with blood work results.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Friendly phlebotomist and ultrasound techs. Clean and modern office. Always on time for morning blood work and monitoring which I appreciate to get to work on time. Once I showed up to the wrong office and instead of making me leave and travel to another office they handled it like no big deal and fit me right in, I didn’t even have to wait. The awesome nurse knowing I’m self pay suggested I may qualify for a discount I wasn’t aware of. They also gave me med samples from the sample closet to save me a significant amount of money. New policy: sometimes you sign into the portal to look at results but it’s hard to make sense of the hormone levels.
$9,400 for IVF and monitoring plus medication roughly $2,000-$4,000
Lexington Fertility Center

You will have a wait when seeing Dr. Berger, however this is a positive thing as he does not rush any patient in his office. I appreciate the time he takes to complete a thorough evaluation/consultation which is individualized to the patient. ... I went into this experience knowing little about the IVF process and Dr. Berger put my mind at ease, being patient with answering any questions I had while in his office.
Boston IVF Quincy is easily accessible. The lab-work, ultrasound run right on time in the morning which is wonderful for anyone that needs to get to work. The Quincy lab tech is fabulous and the front desk staff always helpful. ... Monitoring appointments were very convenient they were set up in a window. ... The strengths of the nurses are that they always get back to you same day when you leave a message. The weaknesses are that the nurses are not consistently assigned to your case.
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
I would highly recommend Dr. Brian Berger. I went into this experience knowing little about the IVF process and Dr. Berger put my mind at ease, being patient with answering any questions I had while in his office. He gave me a course of treatment/plan that he recommended but did not pressure me into it, allowing me to weigh out my options and do my own research which was very important for me since I am a self pay patient.
Dr. Brian Berger was very thorough at each visit/consultation. We never felt rushed while in his office and truly felt like our medical history was important in creating a plan for success.
I believe i was on a FSH protocol, slow controlled stimulation, I stimmed for approximately 15 or 16 days, and due to risk for hyperovarian simulation syndrome I triggered with Lupron and had no issues. I had 24 eggs retrieved, 16 fertilized and 11 embryos that made it to blasts/freeze at day 5/6.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Boston IVF.
Monitoring appointments were very convenient they were set up in a window.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Berger at Boston IVF.
I am self pay, IVF with medications and frozen transfer with PGS testing roughly 22,000
N/A have not had transfer yet
South Shore (closed)

She [Dr. Kim Thornton] is very straightforward, and with time being of the essence, that’s what we need! She explains the process very thoroughly and answered all of our questions. Even after our first failed cycle (we didn’t make it to transfer) she quickly sat with us (within 1 day after finding out no transfer) and went through the next course of action! Even went so far as to collaborate with other Drs with in the practice to see if they had similar cases to ours! Overall I’m happy with her and am still holding hope that I’ll have a live birth!
The nursing staff [at Boston IVF] is great! Dawn took the time to sit with us and go through all of the procedure steps and anytime I had a question she was very quick to respond to me...Boston IVF is great in the way that they have offices all over. I mainly go wot a Worcester but have been to Waltham and Lexington for ultrasounds and blood work. They also have in-house acupuncture which is great. Weaknesses, their financial coordinators are VERY quick and only give you information if you ask for it. I found out after my first cycle that self pay clients could apply for a discount (income based) which would have really helped to know before!
How was your experience with Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
I wasn’t sure where to start on the IVF journey. It’s very overwhelming, I filled out an online contact form and received a call from Boston IVF and they paired me with Dr Thornton. Other may not have left the best reviews but I personally think she has been great for us. She is very straightforward, and with time being of the essence, that’s what we need! She explains the process very thoroughly and answered all of our questions. Even after our first failed cycle (we didn’t make it to transfer) she quickly sat with us (within 1 day after finding out no transfer) and went through the next course of action! Even went so far as to collaborate with other Drs with in the practice to see if they had similar cases to ours! Overall I’m happy with her and am still holding hope that I’ll have a live birth!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
If you want someone to give you hugs and kisses, Dr Thornton isn’t the one for you, but if you want an honest approach she definitely won’t sugar coat the process.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
I definitely felt with the small Worcester office Dr Thornton knew it was me there To meet with her. She always talked to me not at me which I appreciate.
Describe the protocols Kim L. Thornton used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
When I first met with add Thornton I was 39 turning 40, my husband had a failed vasectomy reversal. She initially suggested we go back to the office who did the reversal to see if we could retrieve sperm from him. Once that procedure was complete we moved very quickly. We started with Gonal-F and Menopur and then added Cetrotide. Trigger was done and then egg retrieval. Once retrieval was done I started on Endometrin 3 times a day.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Dawn )
The nursing staff is great! Dawn took the time to sit with us and go through all of the procedure steps and anytime I had a question she was very quick to respond to me.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF.
Costs were pretty high! I am self pay meaning insurance doesn’t cover anything for the cycle. All pre blood work was covered but once the cycle started I obtained a loan for $15,000 and paid $1000 out of pocket on top of that. That included medication
Kim L. Thornton
Worcester Fertility Center

During our initial discussion with Dr. Berger we felt he really listened to us, asked us very detailed questions and follow up questions, and thoroughly went over options and potential treatment plans. He generally just had amazing bedside manner. We’ve done two retrievals (about to do our third), and the follow up meetings with Dr. Berger were lengthy, he went over every single detail of what went wrong and what went right, and gave us plenty of tome to ask all our questions. We never felt rushed during our meetings.
The monitoring appointments [at Boston IVF- South Shore] were fast! I was always done with the ultrasound and blood draw within 20 minutes of arriving at Quincy or Waltham. Also, I live on the Cape, and Boston IVF has an arrangement with a local Ultrasound clinic. I was able to do monitoring Monday-Thursday on the Cape, I had to go to Quincy on Friday’s, and Waltham on Sat & Sun.
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Every experience we’ve had with Dr. Berger has strengthened our trust in him. He has great bedside manner, thoroughly explains every step of the process and his reasons behind his decisions for our treatment. He also doesn’t sugarcoat anything, which is appreciated.
Do as much research as possible and learn the lingo. There is a lot of new information, it can be overwhelming to try and follow a conversation at first. Be your own advocate and always bring a list of questions.
I did not do Birth Control priming, instead I was put on Estrogen pills twice a day for 10 days before my period. On day 2 of my cycle I started Gonal-F and Low Dose HCG. My first cycle started with 325 of Gonal-F and 20 of Low Dose HCG, Cetrotide was added around day 9 to slow the growth of the leading follicles. I stimmed for 13 days total. They retrieved 19 follicles, 15 were mature, 6 fertilized, 2 made it to day 5 and one was transferred. The other embryo stopped growing later on day 5. I didn’t get pregnant from this round. Round 2 used the same medications, but upped the dosages to get larger follicles. My starting doses were 450 of Gonal-F and 40 of Low Dose HCG.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Meghan)
Meghan was our primary nurse and Stephanie was our nurse about 30% of the time. They both were great. The office has a policy to return all phone calls if they are left before 4pm, and I loved that.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The only negative I have with Boston IVF is the lack of direct communication with Dr Berger. We have done 2 IVF cycles and have only talked with Dr. Berger 3 times. All other appointments and communication have been with Ultrasound techs or the nursing team. This hasn’t actually been a problem for us, everyone has been great to work with, but it could be a big negative for some patients.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Boston IVF.
The monitoring appointments were fast! I was always done with the ultrasound and blood draw within 20 minutes of arriving at Quincy or Waltham. Also, I live on the Cape, and Boston IVF has an arrangement with a local Ultrasound clinic. I was able to do monitoring Monday-Thursday on the Cape, I had to go to Quincy on Friday’s, and Waltham on Sat & Sun.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Berger at Boston IVF.
I live in Massachusetts and my insurance covers IVF coverage. So I only had to meet my yearly $2000 deductible, and pay $50 copays for office visits with the Dr. My prescription copays added up to about $300 per cycle. We are electing to do PGS testing on the embryos, costing $3700 for 8 embryos.
Dr. Berger strongly recommend we only transfer one embryo and we agreed.