LGBTQ+ Care
LGBTQ+ Care

Ratings of 1 indicate an unsatisfactory LGBTQ+ care.

Ratings of 10 indicate an excellent LGBTQ+ care.

75 Francis Street
Stratham
118 Portsmouth Avenue Suite 102
Stratham, NH 03885

2014 - 2015, Unknown Success
Very knowledgeable about my issues- he [Dr. Hornstein] performed my lap and follow [up] care. Have not [yet] started ivf[.] He took time to explain everything i did not feel rush[ed]. He is very open to work with my other fertility doctor since i live overseas[.] His nurses [at Brigham & Women's] were nice- was not always the same person each time i went. Come ready to ask questions he will take time to explain everything.
How was your experience with Mark Hornstein at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Strenght- very knowledgable about my issues- he peformed my lap and follow uo care. Have not yey started ivf He took time to explain everything i did not feel rush. He is very open to work with my other fertility doctor since i live overseas His nurses were nice- was not always the same person each time i went.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mark Hornstein at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Come ready to ask questions he will take time to explain everything
Nothing to say
Mark Hornstein
Dr. Ashby shared her own experiences with infertility, which humanized the entire process. Dr. Ashby sees a lot of patients, and she did not remember me when I started my second round of treatments, two years after starting the first.
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Ashby sees a lot of patients, and she did not remember me when I started my second round of treatments, two years after starting the first. (This could also be due to the fact that my second round occurred while she had just returned from her own maternity leave. Mommy brain is real!) while I don't fault her memory, I wish that I were more memorable.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Patience for the process. Ask lots of questions. Follow instructions!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?

2012, Unknown Success
Surrogacy With Other Docs
He [Dr Raymond Anchan] was by far the best dr and most qualified I worked with. He was spot on about my condition that several others misdiagnosed. He said if it could be done we would do it together. I am forever grateful...He chose That I undergo lap surgery then we waited 1cycle then it worked.
How was your experience with Raymond Anchan at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
He was by far the best dr and most qualified I worked with. He was spot on about my condition that several others misdiagnosed. He said if it could be done we would do it together. I am forever grateful.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Raymond Anchan at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Don't go anywhere else
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Raymond Anchan at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr A was a dream come true
Describe the protocols Raymond Anchan used in your cycles at Brigham & Women's Hospital and their degree of success.
He chose That I undergo lap surgery then we waited 1cycle then it worked.
Efficient
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
I liked it was in a hospital setting
Describe Raymond Anchan's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
He was realistic and somewhat conservative
Raymond Anchan

2020 - 2021, Successful
IUI With Other Docs
[Dr. Antonio Gargiulo] was very knowledgable but also listens to the patient...changes protocol depending on the condition of the patient. I had sever endometriosis with uterine wall infiltration(Extrinsic adenomyosis) and Dr offered endometriosis focused highly personalized IVF protocols
When I started [at Brigham & Women's Hospital] in 2020, the team was very good...for second child, the team has changed and the process was not smooth like the first time...20,000$ approximately...Very knowledgable, experienced and on top of things...didn't advise for multiple embryo transfer since it was PGS tested embryo and in general the doctor prefers to do eSET
How was your experience with Antonio Gargiulo at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Doctor was very knowledgable but also listens to the patient. He changes protocol depending on the condition of the patient. I had sever endometriosis with uterine wall infiltration(Extrinsic adenomyosis) and Dr offered endometriosis focused highly personalized IVF protocols
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Antonio Gargiulo at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Trust him!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Antonio Gargiulo at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Doctor was very empathetic and he listens
Describe the protocols Antonio Gargiulo used in your cycles at Brigham & Women's Hospital and their degree of success.
I had severe endometriosis with uterine wall infiltration (Extrinsic adenomyosis). My egg retrieval went well but because of my endometriosis I had sever pain during ovulation induction period. But doctor helped me to manage the pain by giving proper medication without stopping the cycle. I got 14 eggs out of which I got 13 embroyos and we did Freeze protocol because I went on lupron for 3 months after retrieval to treat endometriosis. My first transfer ended up in chemical pregnancy, Doctor advised to for a 2nd transfer immediately which also resulted in chemical. So now, Doctor asked us to do PGS testing for the remaining 11 embryos meanwhile asked me to go on lupron suppression. After PGS we got only 4 embryos , so went ahead with the 3rd IVF and one PGS tested embroyo, personally I had very little hope but I trusted the process and went ahead. I had a positive pregnancy test this time and the whole pregnancy was uncomplicated and I delivered a beautiful baby boy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Marcia Sinclair)
Very knowledgable, experienced and on top of things
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
When I started in 2020, the team was very good. But when I went in for second child, the team has changed and the process was not smooth like the first time. I wish the team is retained, esp Marcia and other nurses
Describe the costs associated with your care under Antonio Gargiulo at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
20,000$ approximately
Describe Antonio Gargiulo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Doctor didn't advise for multiple embryo transfer since it was PGS tested embryo and in general the doctor prefers to do eSET
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
It was not the first time, but only second time when there were lot of new members in the team
Antonio Gargiulo

Consult
I like my doctor [Dr. Janis Fox] alot she is really nice and understands me well.. She has send me to do alot of blood works to catch everything that we can see. I've heard she is a good doctor I been having 6 miscarriage but we not quit know why is happening is incredible. Not only has she taken great care of my health, but also she is lovely to speak with at every appointment. It’s rare to find a doctor that combines such personal touches and care for a patient as a person with outstanding quality of medical care. I highly recommend becoming her patient
Great experience [at Brigham & Women's Hospital] as a first timer. I barely waited to be helped when I checked in. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. I especially loved how really took their time to explain my conditions with me as well as my treatment options. I had a great visit and the has really put me at ease so I highly recommend this clinic
How was your experience with Janis Fox at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
I like my doctor alot she is really nice and understands me well.. She has send me to do alot of blood works to catch everything that we can see. I've heard she is a good doctor I been having 6 miscarriage but we not quit know why is happening is incredible. Not only has she taken great care of my health, but also she is lovely to speak with at every appointment. It’s rare to find a doctor that combines such personal touches and care for a patient as a person with outstanding quality of medical care. I highly recommend becoming her patient!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Janis Fox at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
) is incredible. Not only has she taken great care of my health, but also she is lovely to speak with at every appointment. It’s rare to find a doctor that combines such personal touches and care for a patient as a person with outstanding quality of medical care. I highly recommend becoming her patient!
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Great experience as a first timer. I barely waited to be helped when I checked in. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. I especially loved how really took their time to explain my conditions with me as well as my treatment options. I had a great visit and the has really put me at ease so I highly recommend this clinic
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
I.like the hospital everyone is nice when you seem lost they ask you if you need help with anything.In the fertility area all of them are nice they have a good heart you can feel it..I will recommend this hospital to anyone.) is great. He has been very attentive to my health issues. I have had complicated health problems and shehas addressed them all. He is very kind and patient. I am very grateful for her.
Describe Janis Fox's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
I will love to have a healthy pregnancy and that I can stay pregnant
Janis Fox

2021 - 2022, Unsuccessful
I really like her. I wish [Dr. Yanushpolsky] was easier to get a hold of and gave a little more information, but overall i am happy. I wish she did more in person appointments. I have only seen her virtually except for the hsg proceedure...For 2 months i took clomid, then waited for approval for ivf from insurance which was denied. Then put in for iui which was also denied. Waiting on mext steps now
Only met 1[Brigham & Women's Hospital nurse] in person she was very nice, unfortunately i dont remember her name. Another wasnt very helpful over email...I wish she did more in person appointments. I have only seen her virtually except for the hsg proceedure...Havn't really had a chance to experience the actual clinic as mostly everything has been virtual. Have only been in for an hsg and a blood draw.
How was your experience with Elena Yanushpolsky at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
I really like her. I wish she was easuer to get a hold of and gave a little more information, but overall i am happy. I wish she did more in person appointments. I have only seen her virtually except for the hsg proceedure
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Elena Yanushpolsky at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Ask a lot of questions
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Elena Yanushpolsky at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
She was very nice and spoke to me kindly
Describe the protocols Elena Yanushpolsky used in your cycles at Brigham & Women's Hospital and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Only met 1 in person she was very nice, unfortunately i dont remember her name. Another wasnt very helpful over email
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Havn't really had a chance to experience the actual clinic as mostly everything has been virtual. Have only been in for an hsg and a blood draw. Hopefully i will be able to be seen personally soon. I love Brogham and Womens anyway so im sure i will like the clinic
Describe the costs associated with your care under Elena Yanushpolsky at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Just copays right now
Describe Elena Yanushpolsky's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Would prefer multiple embryo transfer
Elena Yanushpolsky
Boston
the nurses have been really good [at Brigham & Women's Hospital]...is a really amazing hospital and the clinic is amazing as well. The clinic benefits from the size of the Brigham and resources. The clinic is well run, appointments don't tend to run behind...Dr Ashby has a unique ability among doctors. To clearly explain to patients the medicine and science side of the care while also showing empathy and a very personable and easy to talk to demeanor. She treats her patients as people...After we met her we were both very impressed. She is very much on her A game every time we meet with her. She clearly explains the science, medicine and metrics of the care in a way that everyone can understand. She also is very personable. I'm impressed!...[protocol] it made sense and the reasoning behind it sound.
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
We seeked her out in part because friends of ours were patients. After we met her we were both very impressed. She is very much on her A game every time we meet with her. She clearly explains the science, medicine and metrics of the care in a way that everyone can understand. She also is very personable. I'm impressed!
Describe the protocols Rachel Ashby used in your cycles at Brigham & Women's Hospital and their degree of success.
I'm a guy I have a hard time keeping straight the specific strategy. I do at the time recall thinking that it made sense and the reasoning behind it sound.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
the nurses have been really good.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
the Brigham is a really amazing hospital and the clinic is amazing as well. The clinic benefits from the size of the Brigham and resources. The clinic is well run, appointments don't tend to run behind.
1 Egg Freezing With Other Docs
I'm 22 years old and have had one of my ovaries removed due to ovarian cysts and recently had reoccurring cysts on my other ovary...I was told that my previous doctor may not have used the best method to remove an ovarian cyst...[Dr. Gargiulo] informed me about a very similar surgery with small incisions, but using robotics instead of heat. He told me that his method entailed using a plastic bag to surround the ovary when removing the cyst so that the ovarian tissue wouldn't be harmed any more than it already was. He used robotics to do this because they are extremely accurate and proven to be successful.
The nursing staff [at Brigham & Women's] was very friendly. It's a difficult environment to work in and they were always upbeat and respectful of the patients coming through the door...The clinic is awesome. It's in a great location in the hospital and all of the staff is very friendly. The last time I left without important paperwork because I asked the person at the front and they had said that I could leave. I wish they had double checked and communicated with the nurse staff that had just seen me. This was the only hiccup I eve had there.
How was your experience with Antonio Gargiulo at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
I'm 22 years old and have had one of my ovaries removed due to ovarian cysts and recently had reoccurring cysts on my other ovary. My past surgery was with another doctor, but this time around my sister (with infertility and PCOS) insisted that I switch to her doctor, Dr. Gargiulo. I was so glad I did. He explained everything at a level that I could understand and made me realize how important it was to take care of this problem now, before I get older. He has special characteristics that no other doctors have. He was always running a bit behind because he refuses to cut time with any patients and likes to spend more time with everyone. He also uses a robotic technique to remove ovarian cysts instead of a laparoscopic technique, which uses heat that could damage ovarian tissue. His methods are much safer and exact than applying heat to the ovary because he essentially uses a plastic bag to enclose the ovary to protect it while removing the cyst. This method is newer, so women are sometimes hesitant to use it, but I had a wonderful experience with it and with Dr. Gargiulo because I truly felt that he had my best interest in mind. By using newer methods, he was able to keep me safe and to save my ovarian reserve, which I'll forever be grateful for!
If he is running behind schedule don't jump to conclusions, because it's probably a good thing! He spends more time with patients, compared to other doctors I've seen, because he is personable and truly cares about you and your health. He goes the extra mile, so just be patient in that waiting room, because you'll have your turn and it's most definitely worth the wait.
Dr. Gargiulo is the best doctor that I have seen. He was referred by my sister who has infertility and treated me just as well as he treated her. He goes the extra mile, unlike other doctors. He is personable and makes you feel that your situation matters and that he'll do everything in his power to help you. I felt extremely safe in his care and would refer any of my loved ones to his care.
I had a large cyst removed in the past, which caused the removal of my ovary as well. When other cysts started to occur on my only existing ovary, I started to see Dr. G.. Though she is a very successful surgeon, I was told that my previous doctor may not have used the best method to remove an ovarian cyst. She specialized more in OBGYN, so she wasn't as familiar with the fertility outcomes as Dr. G. is. The previous surgery was done laparoscopically, which meant that heat was applied to remove the cyst. However, in the long run, heat can damage the ovarian tissue, which can cause the ovary quality and activity to lessen. Dr. G. informed me about a very similar surgery with small incisions, but using robotics instead of heat. He told me that his method entailed using a plastic bag to surround the ovary when removing the cyst so that the ovarian tissue wouldn't be harmed any more than it already was. He used robotics to do this because they are extremely accurate and proven to be successful. He predicted that doing the surgery this way instead would leave my ovary with much better chances of being unharmed. The surgery went exactly as expected and the ovary was not harmed in the process. The recovery was also exactly what he had told me it would be, there were no surprises. He has also suggested for me to see him in a year to consult about freezing more eggs due to a lower ovarian reserve. He used the data to produce exact results and informed me of the statistical chances that I will conceive a baby from the number of eggs I currently have frozen. Due to the lower percentage, I have decided to go ahead and freeze more in a year. I was very, very happy with the results and care that I received from Dr. G and would recommend anyone to him! He presented me with every detail. I would definitely recommend his methods of surgery due to the low risk and positive results that come along them.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
The nursing staff was very friendly. It's a difficult environment to work in and they were always upbeat and respectful of the patients coming through the door.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
I had a $40 copay each time I saw him because my insurance issues that for specialists. I'm still waiting for the bill for the surgery, however, I was told by my insurance company that they should cover a lot of it.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
I left without important paperwork, so as I was driving away, the nurse called me to let me know and informed me that they would mail it to me instead. Before leaving, I had explained to the front desk personnel my confusion and asked if I was finished. She explained that I would leave and that any information would be posted on the portal. In hindsight, I wish she had double checked with the nursing staff to make sure that I was finished with my visit. However, I could have asked any one of them, so I think it was a miscommunication.
Antonio Gargiulo
2013 - 2015, Successful
I was happy to be working with Serene [Dr. Srouji] since she was part of the Brigham and Women's team and she also had other doctors that she could consult when she wanted to bounce something off another doctor. During our meetings she was present there for us to discuss our options. We went through 5 IVF cycles with her and the last 2 were donor egg. ... She is busy and you will see her for your appointments but most of your communication will be with the nurses. Also she is only in Foxboro once a week so it limited the times that she could make an appointment if you wanted to see her there verses Boston.
Brigham and Women's is a big clinic and you may not get the personal attention that you get from some of the smaller clinics. I liked the team of doctors there and also liked that they have options where you can see some of the doctors from the city in the suburbs and not have to drive into Boston all of the time....We did multiple embryo transfers since I was older and the quality of my eggs/embryos.
How was your experience with Serene Srouji at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
I was happy to be working with Serene since she was part of the Brigham and Women's team and she also had other doctors that she could consult when she wanted to bounce something off another doctor. During our meetings she was present there for us to discuss our options. We went through 5 IVF cycles with her and the last 2 were donor egg. Our first donor cycle went terribly wrong and she had felt bad. Knowing this she wanted to lay out our options and went above and beyond if we opted to do a 5th cycle in which we did. She was very surprised by the results of our 1st donor cycle that being worse than my cycles. When we opted for the 5th and final try she even worked with us to secure a donor. The only thing that I wish is when we had a failure she was the one who reached out and not to hear it from the nurses. While we always met with her during our appointments we never spoke with her during the tests and results always came from the nurses. We would then meet with her but it was often a few weeks after we had received the news.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Serene Srouji at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Serene Srouji at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
She would explain what options we had. I was older when we started and knew that it might not be easy but knew that she was there to help us start the family that we so badly wanted.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
This is the team that we had most of our communication with when we received test results along the way and would share with us what we needed to do in terms up changing dosage of medications I was taking.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Brigham and Women's is a big clinic and you may not get the personal attention that you get from some of the smaller clinics. I liked the team of doctors there and also liked that they have options where you can see some of the doctors from the city in the suburbs and not have to drive into Boston all of the time. They are also some of the best doctors and I was happy to be getting help from them to start our family.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
This process was so easy and they had time set aside in the morning where we could come in. Super easy and did not add stress to an already stressful process.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Serene Srouji at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
We are lucky to live in MA where fertility treatment is covered through our insurance so other than medication co-pays we did not have much in terms of costs for the IVF procedures. Our expenses came in with the egg donor process and that can be costly.
Describe Serene Srouji's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
We did multiple embryo transfers since I was older and the quality of my eggs/embryos. She also tried icsi where they place a small pin hole in the embryo increasing the chances that it would take.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
There were a couple times on the weekends that we did not get a call from the on call nurse regarding our next steps so I would have to reach out to them to check in.
Serene Srouji
Foxborough

2023, Successful
Dr. Ashby is one of the very best in her field...reiterated more than once that she did not want us to undergo more IVF procedures than necessary...did everything she could to prepare us for one egg retrieval that I felt was executed perfectly...Antagonist protocol (Gonal F, Menopur, and Cetrotide), with a Lupron trigger
I always felt they [Brigham & Women's Hospital] were 10 steps ahead of me, meticulous, and extremely thorough...prioritizes the patient first above their aggregate success rates...absolutely adore Nanci Hanron and the entire nursing team...completely on top of their research and willing to try different strategies as long as it was backed by vetted research.
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Ashby is one of the very best in her field and I trusted her recommendations and process completely. She carefully reviewed our case, gave us an extremely tailored treatment plan, and clearly communicated the reasoning behind her recommended approach. Dr. Ashby and the Brigham team went above and beyond to give us the best shot at a healthy pregnancy; we had a complex case, and I believe she even asked Embryology to devote additional time to match the best eggs and sperm to give us viable embryos. I also felt she very carefully calibrated my IVF medication to ensure high quality eggs (as opposed to high quantity). I appreciated that she was direct - when you're undergoing IVF, it can be tough to hear IVF treatment may not guarantee success - but I respect that her intent was to manage our expectations and mentally prepare us for possible outcomes.
Several good girlfriends of mine recommended Dr. Ashby to me, and I think my expectation was she was very warm and cuddly. Dr. Ashby IS an extremely empathetic doctor, which I value immensely. She can be direct and it did take me off-guard once or twice - I am only sharing this to say that Dr. Ashby is truly prioritizing your best interest and wants you to have success. She was honest and managed my expectations (I walked in thinking this was an easy case, and it was more complex - that can be hard to hear but I appreciate her honesty). The IVF doctor at our prior clinic we had left sugarcoated everything, and I was devastated when the cycle failed - meanwhile, Dr. Ashby was upfront, but she managed our egg retrieval and transfer perfectly. Dr. Ashby is looking out for her patients, she is compassionate, and she truly wants her patients to have success.
I cannot recommend Dr. Ashby highly enough. I believe Dr. Ashby has undergone IVF herself, so she understands how mentally and physically taxing IVF can be. She reiterated more than once that she did not want us to undergo more IVF procedures than necessary, and she wanted to be mindful of the IVF expenses we could face. I truly felt Dr. Ashby did everything she could to prepare us for one egg retrieval that I felt was executed perfectly. At our first meeting, she had carefully reviewed our case and listened intently, recommending a very tailored approach for me and my husband. There are a lot of IVF clinics out there that will happily encourage patients to undergo round after round of IVF with a generic, out-of-the-box approach; I always felt that Dr. Ashby sincerely wanted to help us get pregnant with as few IVF procedures as possible, prioritizing our mental and physical health as well as being cognizant of how expenses IVF can be. I respect her immensely for being one of the very best in her field, as well as being empathetic to patients.
We used Antagonist protocol (Gonal F, Menopur, and Cetrotide), with a Lupron trigger. We did not do PGTA testing we were working with fewer fertilized embryos. We did ICSI, as well as 3-day and 5-day transfers. I took a prenatal and CoQ10.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Nanci Hanron)
I absolutely adore Nanci Hanron and the entire nursing team. The Brigham nursing team was always 10 steps ahead of me (and I am a very organized person) - for example, testing me for Endometritis (not to be confused for Endometrioses) well before I had researched it and asked if I should be tested for it. There were several times I was moved to tears because I was so moved by how genuine and caring Nanci Hanron is.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
I cannot recommend Brigham and Women for assisted reproductive treatments (IVF) more highly. I always felt they were 10 steps ahead of me, meticulous, and extremely thorough. Every single doctor, nurse, and embryologist I interacted with was not only one of the top in their field, but incredibly compassionate. Brigham prioritizes the patient first above their aggregate success rates. I know it is easy to get caught up in clinics that offer "innovative" treatments for IVF (calcium ionophore, HGH, etc.) and I always felt Brigham was completely on top of their research and willing to try different strategies as long as it was backed by vetted research.
Lab and ultrasound monitoring appointments varied. - The 850 Boylston location was probably the fastest (in and out within about 30 minutes) since they have set hours set aside for IVF patients; having said that, your ultrasound will be with a lab tech and they usually can't disclose much. This is the best location for basic labs and monitoring. - There is Newton Wellesley and that can vary, having said that, it can take 45 min-2 hours (erring on the longer end if you go in the day before a long weekend). - Monitoring at Brigham in downtown Boston can vary (it can run over an hour if they are short-staffed) - I believe the pro with ultrasounds at Brigham is that there is often a doctor who stops in. If you do get pregnant and are at your 7/8/9 week scan, this may give you the most peace of mind because an ultrasound doctor stops by and can confirm heartbeat and such. None of these felt like cattle calls, but 850 Boylston is the fastest, whereas downtown Brigham may be best for more critical appointments like 6-8 week pregnancy scans.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
I believe a round of IVF and transfer may have ran about $22K (but I could be wrong) - the majority covered by insurance. This may seem more costly than similar IVF clinics in the Boston area, but Brigham's approach is to get it right the first time, whereas other clinics (BostonIVF) are happy to charge less but encourage 3-8 egg retrievals plus transfers and not changing protocol between procedures. I'd rather pay more and get things done right with 1 egg retrieval and 1-2 transfers, since IVF is expensive and takes a toll on a person's mental and physical health.
Describe Rachel Ashby's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
We transferred multiple embryos, which made sense for our diagnosis and my age (>35).
Newton

Dr. Isaacson has a calm demeanor, but really feels like he’s trying to help you. He thinks outside of the box & makes helpful, forward thinking recommendations. When he speaks to you about treatment, you really trust him & feel it’s coming from a place of experience & research...did an initial consult to review my miscarriage, infertility, & recent D&C procedure. He then did an internal vaginal ultrasound to check uterus on cycle day 7. Afterwards, he did a diagnostic hysteroscopy. We were checking for Asherman’s Syndrome, or uterine scarring from after a D&C I had don
Scheduling with the clinic [Brigham & Women's Hospital] from out of state was a little hectic, but it seemed like normal things I would run into with scheduling with any clinic out of state. There were some appointment switches that had to be made due to the doctor being out of the office on my originally scheduled appointment day, but the office did a good job rescheduling my appointment around the date & time of my original appointment. I believe there could be more up to date reminders or text alerts, but overall I thought the staff & office did a good job. It was a nice office when we went.
How was your experience with Keith Isaacson at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Keith Isaacson at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
He’s worth the wait or hassle to travel to! We came from Michigan to Boston to see him & it was worth every penny & second.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Keith Isaacson at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Isaacson made us feel so at ease & safe. He was reassuring, kind, & patient. He seemed like he genuinely wanted to help us & all staff at his office made us feel the same way!
Describe the protocols Keith Isaacson used in your cycles at Brigham & Women's Hospital and their degree of success.
Dr. Isaacson did an initial consult to review my miscarriage, infertility, & recent D&C procedure. He then did an internal vaginal ultrasound to check uterus on cycle day 7. Afterwards, he did a diagnostic hysteroscopy. We were checking for Asherman’s Syndrome, or uterine scarring from after a D&C I had done several months prior for a missed miscarriage at 12 weeks gestation. Although the procedure was a little uncomfortable, it was short & i didn’t have to go into surgery or be put to sleep. I’m much happier I got to do the procedure this way.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
The nurses we saw were all nice. We probably saw 3-4 different nurses throughout the appointment. It seemed like they switched every stage of the process. For the consult I believe 2 different nurses came in before the doctor, then a nurse for the hysteroscopy
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Scheduling with the clinic from out of state was a little hectic, but it seemed like normal things I would run into with scheduling with any clinic out of state. There were some appointment switches that had to be made due to the doctor being out of the office on my originally scheduled appointment day, but the office did a good job rescheduling my appointment around the date & time of my original appointment. I believe there could be more up to date reminders or text alerts, but overall I thought the staff & office did a good job. It was a nice office when we went.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Keith Isaacson at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
We went through the hospital’s billing department to secure a quote for the procedure beforehand. This was nice because they factored in insurance to give us an accurate quoted price. I believe they were pretty close to what we ended up being charged. Total out of pocket, we paid around $881 total for the consult, ultrasound, & diagnostic hysteroscopy. I don’t remember exactly what hospital billing quoted us, but it was close. The billing department was overall good & friendly. They did lose my quote once & I had to call & do a little digging to get it re-done but they completed it timely.
Newton
Dr. Ashby is all about woman empowerment. She had a good approach in discussing my fertility options and advocating for myself as a woman, a caregiver to do what was best in my health for me. She was straight with the facts, but empathic about the journey i.e. hormones, appointments, and possibility of not getting a pregnancy test...this was my first IVF cycle and I'm classified as Obese (Cat III) she elected eSET. I don't think I'd be a candidate for MET due to my weight.
The nursing staff is wonderful at Newton Wellesley Hospital! They answer my questions in a timeline manner and are very empathetic about the procedure, medications, blood draws etc...With the patient gateway, my test results are available on the portal which is great. I wish they would also post medication instructions too or it'd be nice to communicate via email for certain things...The care is unparalleled to other experiences I have endured. They are organized, efficient and human. I have been treated with such kindness throughout my entire journey.
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Be prepared with any questions as both of your times are valuable.
I started with Oral Birth Control on Day 1 for about 12 days - 5 days later when menses began had a baseline ultrasound. I took 300 IU of menopur in the AM followed by 300 IU gonal-f in the evenings. After 5 days, I started cetrotide in the AM along with the menopur. I stimulated for ~13 days then trigged by HCG intramuscular shot (evening) followed by retrieval two days after trigger shot
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
The nursing staff is wonderful at Newton Wellesley Hospital! They answer my questions in a timeline manner and are very empathetic about the procedure, medications, blood draws etc. There was one mistake during my visit - as it was my first time, I assumed once I ran out of medication then I was done. However, I need to request refills and my insurance requires a PA. There was a panic for a day, but it all ended up working out. However, I wish someone would have called me a few days in and let me know that I'd likely need more medication based on ultrasounds and blood work.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
This clinic is amazing! The care is unparalleled to other experiences I have endured. They are organized, efficient and human. I have been treated with such kindness throughout my entire journey. The only weakness would be that you don't have a 'point person' - Carol is the charge nurse and is extremely effective in communication, but results are usually provided by a different nurse depending on schedules. With the patient gateway, my test results are available on the portal which is great. I wish they would also post medication instructions too or it'd be nice to communicate via email for certain things.
I have a high deductible insurance plan for my husband and I. I require to pay $3000 toward my deductible which I did with IUI/testing at a previous clinic. My prescriptions were covered with no coinsurance and all medical appointments were covered. Prescription (including additional needed for my cycle) would have been ~$30k for initial order and $13k for additional. Medical appointments were ~15k, but again did not have to pay anything out of pocket. I did do the genetic testing through Myriad. My insurance didn't approve it, but I'll likely pay $350 out of pocket.
At this was my first IVF cycle and I'm classified as Obese (Cat III) she elected eSET. I don't think I'd be a candidate for MET due to my weight.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
I was running out of medication but wasn't informed that I would likely need 3-5 days of additional medication until my follicles reached the appropriate size. Fortunately, they had drug on hand and I was able to get a PA approved same day, but due to the timing I had to drive 1 hour to freedom fertility to get my additional prescriptions.
Newton
Dr Ashby’s advice [about Eset] was based on my age and number/quality of embryos. One of the embryos took so I’m glad we transferred two...s direct but very smart and caring. She’s intelligent and can talk quickly but always allows time for questions...She was candid with me and set realistic expectations, which is very important. She advised on the best treatment for me personally and helped my husband and I think through decisions.
Nancy [nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital] was excellent! Incredibly compassionate and responsive. A real life saver in stressful moments...They were very helpful with helping with costs and contacting the insurance provider... The process can be daunting and I really appreciated how easily I could reach the nurses with questions or concerns. They’re very responsive and you never have to wait long for a call back. The day I went in for my pregnancy test, Grace, who draws blood, ran my sample right down to the lab and I got my (positive) result about an hour later. Amazing!
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Ashby really knows what she’s doing. She was candid with me and set realistic expectations, which is very important. She advised on the best treatment for me personally and helped my husband and I think through decisions.
Ask questions if she talks too quickly.
Dr. Ashby is direct but very smart and caring. She’s intelligent and can talk quickly but always allows time for questions and you can reach her nurses any time of the day, which I utilized quite a bit!
Birth control for 12-15 days, break, injections including Menupur & Gonal F, trigger shot. Then for 10 weeks Endometrin suppositories twice a day.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Nancy & Lisa)
Nancy was excellent! Incredibly compassionate and responsive. A real life saver in stressful moments.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
I think the clinic worked very well overall, a well oiled machine. They make everything easy to understand and are with you every step of the way. The process can be daunting and I really appreciated how easily I could reach the nurses with questions or concerns. They’re very responsive and you never have to wait long for a call back. The day I went in for my pregnancy test, Grace, who draws blood, ran my sample right down to the lab and I got my (positive) result about an hour later. Amazing!
My IVF was covered by insurance so I’ve had to pay copays for ultrasound and prescriptions. That ended up being pricey but that’s because of my insurance plan. They were very helpful with helping with costs and contacting the insurance provider.
We ended up transferring 2 embryos based on their recommendation. Dr Ashby’s advice was based on my age and number/quality of embryos. One of the embryos took so I’m glad we transferred two.

2016 - 2018, Unsuccessful
Dr. Ashby is great - she has been through IVF herself so she is understanding as to what the experience is like. She also has been clear about procedures and expectations...She is very knowledgeable and will even call you on the phone if the wait to see her is too long. She works with a team which has its plusses and minuses. They brainstorm together which helps to come up with a good plan and they can compare experiences against a lot of other patients. It does sometimes feel weird, though, when you go in and have a different doctor do your transfer or retrieval. But I honestly don't mind, because I believe their team to be one of the best around.
[The nurses at Brigham & Women's Hospital] were kind and supportive, much more emotionally present than the doctors. My one frustration is their contact/communication system which is to call and leave them a message and then you have to wait for a call back and you never know when that is coming. I feel like it would be so much easier to have an online message system - both for the nurses and patients.
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Ashby is fantastic - just because I have not yet gotten pregnant, I do not blame her. She is very knowledgeable and will even call you on the phone if the wait to see her is too long. She works with a team which has its plusses and minuses. They brainstorm together which helps to come up with a good plan and they can compare experiences against a lot of other patients. It does sometimes feel weird, though, when you go in and have a different doctor do your transfer or retrieval. But I honestly don't mind, because I believe their team to be one of the best around.
I wish she could be more available to each patient, but I also know that she has a ton of patients.
My first two retrievals we started medicine mid-cycle (so I waited until I ovulated and then we started a few days after that.) I apologize as I don't remember the names for all of these treatment strategies. The first cycle didn't produce as many eggs as the second, but neither was successful. I did not get a positive pregnancy test from either. For the third cycle, Dr. Ashby said she wanted to be more aggressive so we started medicine right after my period began. On that cycle, I produced 16 eggs which is great for someone my egg and we fertilized 13. Of those, there were 4 5-day blast embryos. I transferred two in a fresh cycle and then two in a frozen cycle. Again, I did not get positive pregnancy tests from either of those cycles, but I felt like we were headed in the right direction.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
I feel like I know the nursing staff much better than the doctor team at this point because they are the ones you interact with every time you come in for blood testing or ultrasounds, etc. They were kind and supportive, much more emotionally present than the doctors. My one frustration is their contact/communication system which is to call and leave them a message and then you have to wait for a call back and you never know when that is coming. I feel like it would be so much easier to have an online message system - both for the nurses and patients.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
The clinic is top-rated and I truly believe they are really on top of current research/knowledge etc. I have frustrations that you can't do embryo donation, but that is a Massachusetts thing and not a clinic thing. You do feel a bit like a cog in a machine at times, but that is because they are so successful that they attract so many patients.
I have insurance coverage for the IVF cycles but I still had to make a copay of about $2,000. And the first cycle my pharmacy costs were around $900, but after that they were free.
Because of my age, I was allowed to transfer multiple embryos. The risks were made clear to me, but also the fact that it was unlikely they would all work, so I was happy to give that a try.
Newton

As a patient, I've had a good experience with Dr. Ashby, despite not being pregnant yet. She doesn't just spit out what we need to do, but talks to us and asks how we are doing during this whole process...Round 1 (birth control pills at beginning, started on follistim injections, then cetrotide injections and follistim injections. Post retrieval/transfer used crinone gel, medrol, estradiol) Round 2 (started on patch, then cetrotidge injections, then once I got my period again, I started on follistim and menipur injections, then added cetrotide injections. Post retrieval/transfer used crinone gel, medrol, estradiol) Round 3 Frozen (birth control pills at beginning, then estradiol, progesterone injections. Post transfer continued on progesterone injections and estradiol) Round 4 (lupron injections, then added follistim injections and then menipur injections. No fertilized eggs)
Nancy, and the entire nursing staff [at Brigham & Women's] are amazing. They were great at explaining the whole process as we were going through it. They always called me back when I left messages with tons of questions. They also helped me deal with a lot of back and forth insurance issues...My insurance covered 90% so we paid $1,000 up front for each round that we started. And then a few additional costs I think.
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Ask lots of questions - don't be afraid.
When my husband and I met with Dr. Ashby, she did not just spit out numbers and facts, she explained this and also asked how we were doing during our treatment. She also walked us through each failed cycle to explain what happened and what we would do differently for future cycles.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Nancy)
Nancy, and the entire nursing staff are amazing. They were great at explaining the whole process as we were going through it. They always called me back when I left messages with tons of questions. They also helped me deal with a lot of back and forth insurance issues.
Newton

I did not receive an infertility diagnosis that was complex in any way -- Dr. Isaacson told me that likely I was just not ovulating. As a result, my treatment was simple (prescribed Clomid) and as I got pregnant after the second cycle, I only ever saw Dr. Isaacson once during the initial visit. I saw the nurse practitioner much more frequently (and I will say I very much liked her). So unless you have some more complex things going on and require more advanced treatment, don't expect to interface with Dr. Isaacson that much.
Overall, I can attest that this clinic [Brigham and Womens at Newton-Wellesley] does a fabulous job at fast-tracking your route to pregnancy, customizing the strategy to you and your individual circumstances, physically and financially...As time went on and I visited the office more frequently, I will say the nurses and staff were incredibly personable. My 8-week pregnancy ultrasound was an incredibly warm-feeling experience, with the ultrasound tech, nurse practitioner, and a medical student very attentive and invested. When we discovered a second baby in the ultrasound, I asked if they could bring in my mother-in-law and son from the waiting room, and they happily obliged.
How was your experience with Keith Isaacson at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Isaacson seems like a very straight shooter and very experienced in the fertility world. I get the sense he has seen a great array of patients and has gained some wisdom re: what is the best course of action per each patient.
I felt like a human in that during the initial visit, each person on the doctor's team, including himself, was very polite with me, reassuring, thoroughly explained the medications and procedures. Simultaneously, I felt like a number in that the intake nurse really didn't care to know about my prior acupuncture treatment or lifestyle changes. The clinic also, although being a well-oiled and perhaps efficient machine, divvies up so many parts of the process that in the initial intake appointment, you end up seeing 5 individual professionals, making you feel like you are in a factory. As time went on and I visited the office more frequently, I will say the nurses and staff were incredibly personable. My 8-week pregnancy ultrasound was an incredibly warm-feeling experience, with the ultrasound tech, nurse practitioner, and a medical student very attentive and invested. When we discovered a second baby in the ultrasound, I asked if they could bring in my mother-in-law and son from the waiting room, and they happily obliged.
I was prescribed Clomid with a plan of trying it for 4 cycles given my previous successful (naturally conceived) pregnancy, age, symptoms etc. I very much appreciated the practice's respect for my limited insurance coverage, and that also informed our course of action -- not starting out with too many potentially unnecessary procedures, but being willing to do those if time proved it necessary. One of the procedures we were going to wait on was the HSG procedure that makes sure there is no tubal blockage. I ended up requesting this procedure after the first round of Clomid failed just for my own peace of mind, even though the clinic did not urge me to have this done early on. They performed the procedure at my request, and my tubes showed to be open. There is anecdotal evidence that the procedure can sometimes prove to be therapeutic and the fluid pushing through the tubes may open small blockages. I don't know for sure whether or not this was the case for me, or if I just needed to try Clomid for one more cycle, but I got pregnant with twins after taking my second round of Clomid. I am now 11 weeks pregnant and have been discharged from the clinic to my regular OBGYN. I will say that twins do not run in my family, and I am positive the Clomid stimulated my ovaries such that they produced two eggs. I am incredibly excited to have twins, although people who are wary of twins for either financial or physical reasons should know that Clomid does slightly increase your chances of conceiving multiples. On Clomid, I had painful cramps and bloating during ovulation, and I took this as a sign that it affected me perhaps more than most people, overstimulating my ovaries. Again, my outcome was an incredibly happy one for my family -- but I realize multiples might not be ideal for everyone.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: NP Jennie Mastroianni)
I really loved the nurse practitioner, Jennie. She, along with the friendly, sweet nurses who always made sure to give my son (who accompanied me to many blood draws) plentiful stickers and attention, made my experience at the clinic very warm.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Overall, I can attest that this clinic does a fabulous job at fast-tracking your route to pregnancy, customizing the strategy to you and your individual circumstances, physically and financially.
Insurance covered the majority of our care costs. Probably my biggest expense was my copayment for the HSG procedure, which I requested out of personal interest v. recommendation.

2014 - 2016, Successful
She [Dr Serene Srouji] did some out-of-the-box thinking regarding why our embryos weren't making it to day 5 despite the high number we had. After switching two day 3 transfer with assisted hatching, we had two successful cycles, the first ending in miscarriage due to chromosomal abnormality (we didn't do genetic testing) and the second resulting in my current pregnancy.
Most of the doctors and nurses [at Brigham & Women's] were fabulous. Occasionally Dr. Srouji wasn't able to perform the retrieval or transfer and we would work with other doctors on those days. One in particular, Dr. Walsh, had a terrible bedside manner and I really disliked him, but everyone else was great....Sandy is Dr. Srouji's nurse and she is fabulous, but all the nurses in the practice were great. My husband and I called a lot with questions and they were always patient and informative.
How was your experience with Serene Srouji at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
As noted earlier, Dr. Srouji was incredibly caring and dedicated to helping us achieve success. She called us to check in, tracked my response and made adjustments, and was a clear communicator through every step of the process. I am so thankful for her kind and supportive care. She did some out-of-the-box thinking regarding why our embryos weren't making it to day 5 despite the high number we had. After switching two day 3 transfer with assisted hatching, we had two successful cycles, the first ending in miscarriage due to chromosomal abnormality (we didn't do genetic testing) and the second resulting in my current pregnancy.
Ask lots of questions. It's an overwhelming process and she is there to help you make sure you have the information you need to move forward in the process. And call her nurse Sandy--she is amazing and was a great help to us as well.
Dr. Srouji was incredibly thoughtful and caring. She called after every result (positive and negative) to check in and see how we were doing. She always seemed to be very invested in our success and determining what adjustments needed to be made to improve the treatment after each cycle.
Describe the protocols Serene Srouji used in your cycles at Brigham & Women's Hospital and their degree of success.
We used ICSI because my husband had sperm morphology issues. My PCOS meant lots of eggs of not so great quality, so we switched to a Lupron protocol which helped. We also found that our embryos weren't converting from day 3 to 5 so we switched to day 3 transfer w assisted hatching.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Sandy Vance)
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Most of the doctors and nurses were fabulous. Occasionally Dr. Srouji wasn't able to perform the retrieval or transfer and we would work with other doctors on those days. One in particular, Dr. Walsh, had a terrible bedside manner and I really disliked him, but everyone else was great.
Massachusetts has unbelievable coverage for fertility. We paid nothing out of pocket, maybe a total of $100 in copays for our insurance.
Serene Srouji
2003 - 2013, Successful
Keith [Isaacson] was always there for me. I never felt rushed talking to him. He always took my concerns seriously. When I asked him to do my transfers, he always said yes, instead of farming me out to another doc. When I had to be hospitalized during a pregnancy, he met me at the hospital in the middle of the night and personally did an ultrasound, and stayed with me. He was and is amazing.
How was your experience with Keith Isaacson at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
He is a great listener, a great communicator. He is VERY gentle. I spent many years getting to know Keith--and always felt he was my advocate. I have three daughters BECAUSE of him. And, I continued to see him after I had children--he even performed my recent hysterectomy. I am sad to say I have no more reasons right now to be his patient!
Do whatever you can to get yourself to Keith first. From what I have experienced with other docs at other fertility clinics, it is far more of a factory approach. NOT with Keith.
Keith was always there for me. I never felt rushed talking to him. He always took my concerns seriously. When I asked him to do my transfers, he always said yes, instead of farming me out to another doc. When I had to be hospitalized during a pregnancy, he met me at the hospital in the middle of the night and personally did an ultrasound, and stayed with me. He was and is amazing.
I had four IVFs--each one with more add ons. I won't remember all of the specifics as the last one was 13 years ago--and I am sure there are more sophisticated protocols now. I definitely did Lupron shots--plus whatever else. Progesterone injections post transfer. I know he did IXCI (I may be misspelling this) and assisted hatch as well on the fourth (successful) cycle
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
When I first started with Keith, he was at MGH. By the time I was doing IVF with Keith, he had moved to Newton Wellesley Hospital. At one point, he was doing IVF retrieval/transfer at Boston IVF. He has a minimally invasive surgical suite at NWH--not sure if he does all transfers there today or if he still has a Boston IVF affiliation.
Thankfully, Massachusetts insurance pays for infertility treatment. I know the total costs for my care were extraordinary--but have blocked out the dollar figure!

2004 - 2011, Successful
Dr. Hornstein is a great listener. He made me feel part of the process and the solution. He delivered information with kindness but also with the level of information I truly needed....I had had a successful IVF, then miscarriage, then D&C that left me Asherman's syndrome while at the first clinic. Dr. Hornstein was the first RE to truly listen to me and to come up with a treatment plan that worked for me. When we hit set backs, he was innovative in his approach to overcoming them. I have the utmost respect for him
I spent a lot of time talking with the nursing staff [at Brigham] and felt they were always responsive and caring...I found this clinic to be much more innovative and open to new ideas and solutions....My cycles were covered by insurance. I paid roughly $350 per cycle in meds....Dr. Hornstein is a great listener. He made me feel part of the process and the solution. He delivered information with kindness but also with the level of information I truly needed.
How was your experience with Mark Hornstein at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
I came to Dr. Hornstein after a bad experience with another local clinic. I had had a successful IVF, then miscarriage, then D&C that left me Asherman's syndrome while at the first clinic. Dr. Hornstein was the first RE to truly listen to me and to come up with a treatment plan that worked for me. When we hit set backs, he was innovative in his approach to overcoming them. I have the utmost respect for him and he truly is the reason I've got children today.
Make sure you ask all of the questions you have. Don't hold back. He is a great listener and he will fully answer your questions but you have to be open and share all that you are thinking of.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mark Hornstein at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Describe the protocols Mark Hornstein used in your cycles at Brigham & Women's Hospital and their degree of success.
It's been a number of years. I did 4 IVF cycles with Dr. Hornstein. The final one resulted in a healthy twin pregnancy. My boys were born in 2004 so it's been a while.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
I was that person who was always told there's a chance that X or Y could be the problem but probably not - and it always was. I spent a lot of time talking with the nursing staff and felt they were always responsive and caring.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mark Hornstein at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
My cycles were covered by insurance. I paid roughly $350 per cycle in meds.
Describe Mark Hornstein's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
This really didn't exist when I was undergoing my IVF cycles. We transferred a number of embryos in my final IVF that resulted in fraternal twin boys.

LGBTQ+
Lots of testing [with Dr. Hornstein]...Has a very specific protocol...BC of my age (36) and my BMI (High) only recommended single embryo. His mentality was age and BMI already made it a high-risk pregnancy for myself and baby. Possible multiples would just add to that risk for both...He listened to my needs, met with me a full hour at my initial consultation, gave realistic expectations, answered all questions thoroughly
Clinic [Brigham & Women's Hospital] was good, in the hospital, so what you'd expect. Ran pretty much on time. Sticks to IVF protocol to a T so a lot of appts. Had to meet w/ a social worker before IVF. Had to meet w/ a high risk OBGYN bc of my BMI, had to meet w/ anesthesiologist before retrieval too. Lots of appts...I spoke to a few different nurses, 1 was exceptional- Zussanah. The others seemed inpatient and annoyed at my questions
How was your experience with Mark Hornstein at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Thorough, good at explaining details, kind, realistic, gentle. Very knowledgeable, sensitive. Made me feel that every question I asked held importance and never seemed annoyed (I ask a lot of questions)
He is great, if you have any questions at all, ask. He is very patient.
Lots of testing. I had 5 failed IUIs with another Doctor. Has a very specific protocol. On Day 2 of your natural cycle start OTBC for 10 days. Then have ultrasound for baseline, Then start Menopur and Gonal-f for 5 days. Monitor egg development. Take trigger shot w/Lupron. After egg retrieval Start Crinone.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
I spoke to a few different nurses, 1 was exceptional- Zussanah. The others seemed inpatient and annoyed at my questions.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Clinic was good, in the hospital, so what you'd expect. Ran pretty much on time. Sticks to IVF protocol to a T so a lot of appts. Had to meet w/ a social worker before IVF. Had to meet w/ a high risk OBGYN bc of my BMI, had to meet w/ anesthesiologist before retrieval too. Lots of appts.
My insurance covered actual IVF. Had co pays every visit and every time blood was drawn, ultrasound.

2013 - 2019, Successful
Dr. Ashby was kind and compassionate and always delivered the risks and facts in a gentle way...called before my D&E and helped us through an extremely difficult time. She has met with us several times to present us all the options and risks of each. She has been compassionate and positive and we feel very lucky she is supporting our decision...2 rounds of IUI and about to start IVF...My last miscarriage was a natural pregnancy at 13 weeks.
Despite being in a big hospital the clinic [Brigham & Women's Hospital] feels small and cozy. The entire staff has always been helpful and friendly! My lab results have always come back quickly and the nurse has called shortly after. When I have left a voicemail on the nurses line it is always returned in a timely fashion. I don't have any weaknesses to describe at this time... we are about to start IVF...Grace [nurse] is one of kind. She has the ability to make you smile even during the most difficult of times. She would cheer along as my HCG numbers went up and hugged us after our loss. Clinic Nps
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
We did two rounds of IUI to conceive our son with Dr. Ashby and are now about to start IVF after two miscarriages to hopefully complete our family. My last miscarriage was a natural pregnancy at 13 weeks. Dr. Ashby called before my D&E and helped us through an extremely difficult time. She has met with us several times to present us all the options and risks of each. She has been compassionate and positive and we feel very lucky she is supporting our decision.
Trust her!
2 rounds of IUI and about to start IVF
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Grace is one of kind. She has the ability to make you smile even during the most difficult of times. She would cheer along as my HCG numbers went up and hugged us after our loss.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Despite being in a big hospital the clinic feels small and cozy. The entire staff has always been helpful and friendly! My lab results have always come back quickly and the nurse has called shortly after. When I have left a voicemail on the nurses line it is always returned in a timely fashion. I don't have any weaknesses to describe at this time... we are about to start IVF.
IUI was covered by insurance.... about to start IVF

2012 - 2013, Successful
Mark was a wonderful, caring person who connected with us. He walked us through everything, made sure we understood everything, and changed his course when the first cycle didn't work. Again, he visited us after the girls were born while still in the hospital...He was very easy to talk to and ask questions. We had time in his office to just talk....Lots of shots and I know that I didn't produce as many eggs as we wanted. We used ICSI the second time and that worked.
I was happy with our clinic [Brigham]. I didn't know any better though so it was comfortable for me. I did donate a better squeezy ball for blood draws because it was so hard to get blood from my arm!...[Nurse] She would leave me the best voicemails. They were always so thoughtful and too long to fit on one call!...Most of my procedures were covered but some were subject to my deductible. All the ultra sounds and stress tests after were subject to my deductible.
How was your experience with Mark Hornstein at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Trust him. Go for two! It sounds scary but twins are the best!
He was very easy to talk to and ask questions. We had time in his office to just talk. He visited me while in the hospital once the girls were born to meet them.
I don't remember everything. Lots of shots and I know that I didn't produce as many eggs as we wanted. We used ICSI the second time and that worked.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
I was happy with our clinic. I didn't know any better though so it was comfortable for me. I did donate a better squeezy ball for blood draws because it was so hard to get blood from my arm!
I am a twin so there was no worry about having twins for me, so I was thrilled that the insurance covered two and we did that. I love being a twin mom!

2015, Successful
...See [Dr. Ashby] at the Newton- Wellesley location- SO much better than the Brigham. Appointments on time, better nurses and no more super early morning ultrasounds/ bloodwork.
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
There really were no weaknesses to her treatment or bedside manner- she was exactly what I was hoping to find in a fertility doctor. Because of her (and her staff) I was SO much calmer, happier and confident than with my previous cycle with another doctor. She advocated for what she believed was best for me while also listening to me and taking my opinion and feelings into consideration.
CALL HER NOW! And see her at the Newton- Wellesley location- SO much better than the Brigham. Appointments on time, better nurses and no more super early morning ultrasounds/ bloodwork.
She was the most personable, caring fertility doctor possible. She gave me her direct e-mail as well as her direct phone number and was available anytime I needed her. She was the only doctor to take the time to try to explain "the unexplainable". I felt I was listened to, understood and respected.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Compared to the staff at the Brigham the nurses were SO much more personable, detail oriented and caring.
2017, Unknown Success
Dr. Ashby is very kind and compassionate but also doesn't hold back all of the facts and hard truths of the situation. Her honesty and candor are what made me feel she was the perfect fit for us. I couldn't anything but amazing things about her.... Be open and honest with your wants, needs and struggles. She's there to help!
Amazing group of people [at Brigham & Women's Hospital]! Always smiling and very friendly.... Dr. Ashby is very kind and compassionate but also doesn't hold back all of the facts and hard truths of the situation. Her honesty and candor are what made me feel she was the perfect fit for us. I couldn't anything but amazing things about her.
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
She's amazing! She gave us hope and made us feel at ease with our course of treatment. She's very compassionate but tells the facts and hard truths as well. I appreciate that, I want to know everything good or bad. Wouldn't want to do this with any other doctor.
Be open and honest with your wants, needs and struggles. She's there to help!
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Amazing group of people! Always smiling and very friendly
2009 - 2011, Successful
She wanted the best for my family & worked hard to make it happen. Be ready for straight (yet compassionate) talk about fertility.
She [my nurse] treated me as a "friend," not just a patient. She [Dr. Simmons] came highly recommended & I recommend her highly. She is a gem.
How was your experience with Virginia Simmons at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
She came highly recommended & I recommend her highly. She is a gem.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Virginia Simmons at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Be ready for straight (yet compassionate) talk about fertility.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Virginia Simmons at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
She spoke to me as a person. Never did she make it "my issue" - she was always willing to listen & share her experience. She wanted the best for my family & worked hard to make it happen.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
She treated me as a "friend," not just a patient.
Virginia Simmons