9.8
9.8
LGBTQ+ Care

Ratings of 1 indicate an unsatisfactory LGBTQ+ care.

Ratings of 10 indicate an excellent LGBTQ+ care.

LGBTQ+ Competent Care

Based on reviews from the LGBTQ+ community.

Alex Robles
Strongly recommend: 100%9.9
Ashley Wiltshire
Jenna Turocy
Zev Williams
LGBTQ+ Competent Care

Based on reviews from the LGBTQ+ community.

Priyanka Ghosh

244 Westchester Ave
West Harrison, NY 10604

2021 - 2024, Successful
1 Embryo Freezing With Other Docs
Dr. Brady is an outstanding, brilliant, and compassionate doctor and person...hysteroscopic surgery to remove polyps...went above and beyond on an everyday basis, throughout my treatment...responded often after hours or on weekends...medicated transfer of euploid embryo. Success!
Columbia fertility...ended up feeling like family...Lots of smiles, jokes. Jen the phlebotomist was particularly warm, encouraging, compassionate...center has strong female energy...Angela was a superb nurse, always giving crystal clear, patient, encouraging daily instructions, and helping me through any difficult moments with unwavering optimism
How was your experience with Paula Brady at Columbia University?
Dr. Brady is an outstanding, brilliant, and compassionate doctor and person. I can not imagine a better guide through the wild experience of IVF. I will not forget how she came in specially to do my successful transfer during her vacation. Not only did she go above and beyond then, but she went above and beyond on an everyday basis, throughout my treatment. Her communication and engagement were superb. As I look back at literally hundreds of emails between me and her through the years—I revisit how she always responded with such consideration, calm, wisdom, and clarity. And she responded often after hours or on weekends. Her clear, informative, thoughtful, supportive, optimistic guidance throughout earned my deepest trust. During times I had a failed transfer or disappointing pgt results, Dr. Brady always called to discuss it for as long as I needed, and to go over a new plan with me; her optimism and clear thinking brought me out of some severe lows along the way. She was on her a-game at honestly every moment! I had a rocky time due to my age—poor fertilization and euploid rate—as well as my partner’s age and having had a vasectomy--as well as due to my fibroids, for which I had a robot assisted myomectomy—as well as due to my personal constitution—major mental health reactions to medications--as well as idiopathic allergic reactions following retrievals. Yet throughout one of the hardest times of my life, I felt buoyed into hope by Dr Brady’s strength, clarity, perspective, expertise, and empathy. I wish there was a way I could continue working with her! I feel so lucky that she was the doctor who ushered in this new life.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Paula Brady at Columbia University?
Trust her advice. Know that she is on top of your case—reviewing and remembering details, on top of the latest studies, weighing factors. Trust the incredible doctors she recommends—from Dr. Advincula who did my myomectomy surgery, to Dr. Burns who still gives me acupuncture—Dr. Brady knows the best people and has fantastic judgement in recommending colleagues. Ask any questions and be open about any concerns or thoughts—you will be a team together with her. She will work with you to find the best way forward!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Paula Brady at Columbia University?
I could not have felt more like a human with Dr. Brady’s care! I am definitely spoiled for life. I always felt like I was Dr. Brady’s only patient, and I know all her patients must feel that way. She remembered all the details of my years of treatment—sometimes even better than I did—and referenced them to adjust the next treatment plan. I always felt the confidence of knowing she was drawing her judgement from the most rigorous evidence-based research—while constantly being open to new angles, innovations in the fertility field, and my personal experience.
Describe the protocols Paula Brady used in your cycles at Columbia University and their degree of success.
This is what I remember: First, we thawed 11 eggs from a retrieval I had elsewhere when I was 38. We injected those eggs with thawed TESE sperm. Saved two best for day 3 transfers. One of the remaining embryos grew to blastocyst, and was euploid. After that I did bloodwork, a saline sonogram in which we found fibroids, then a pelvic Mri, and a hysteroscopic surgery to remove polyps and see if my small fibroid could be removed hysteroscopically (it couldn’t). Then we tried two back to back transfers of day three embryos. Modified natural cycles. Both failed. Then we did ERA test, and found I was receptive in a natural cycle. Did more bloodwork. Noted elevated thyroid. Began levothyroxine. Waited until thyroid was optimal. Then, we thawed 6 more eggs from age 38, injected with TESE sperm. Only one egg fertilized normally. Did a natural transfer cycle of a day 3 embryo. It failed. Then had another hysteroscopy—another polyp removed, noted the fibroid was growing. So we planned a myomectomy surgery in 6 months. Then I went into 5 retrievals before myomectomy: Retrieval #1: 225 iu Follistim, 225 iu Menopur, 250 mcg ganirelix, leupron 2mg trigger, pregnyl 5000 iu trigger. 21 eggs retrieved, 13 mature, 5 fertilized normally, 1 blastocyst, pgt aneuploid. Did another pelvic MRI-- found fibroid was growing. Met with surgeon. Switched from levothyroxine to armour thyroid due to my ongoing poor mood and low energy since being on levothyroxine. Retrieval #2: Follistim 300 iu, menopur 150 iu, ganirelix 250 mcg, leupron 2mg, pregnyl 5000. 21 eggs retrieved. 16 mature. 3 blastocysts, two pgt aneuploid, one pgt euploid. Retrieval #3: Duostim; same protocol; 21 retrieved, 1 blastocyst, pgt aneuploid. Retrieval #4: Same protocol, pregnyl 5000. 22 eggs retrieved. 3 blastocysts, 3 pgt aneuploid. Retrieval #5: Same protocol; 23 eggs retrieved, 1 pgt aneuploid. So, in the end had 2 pgt euploid embryos. Recovered two months, then did Robot assisted myomectomy. Started sertraline. Recovered four months, then did medicated transfer of euploid embryo. Success!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Angela)
Angela was a superb nurse, always giving crystal clear, patient, encouraging daily instructions, and helping me through any difficult moments with unwavering optimism. Her communication was excellent—looking back over scores of her emails and instructions—I always knew she would walk me through the important details precisely, clearly, kindly, and thoughtfully. Even when I was dealing with a great deal of anxiety, she was calm and steady, guiding me through step by step through these years!
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
I feel deeply grateful to Columbia fertility. I already miss it. They ended up feeling like family—I was happy to arrive in all of my many visits. Lots of smiles, jokes. Jen the phlebotomist was particularly warm, encouraging, compassionate, and positive throughout my years there. All the nursing staff, phlebotomists, and front desk workers I saw for monitoring were wonderful. I trusted that I was in the most skilled hands—and at the same time everyone was kind, open, and upbeat. The doctors who did retrievals and other procedures for me were without exception fabulous. The Columbia fertility center has strong female energy—I don’t know if this is like other fertility centers, but I really loved that most of the doctors and staff were women. And the men who work there are wonderful too! I did not interact as much with the embryology geniuses behind the scenes, but am infinitely thankful to them!

2022 - 2023, Successful
Dr. Insogna has the best bedside manner and really understands her patients...always seems to find the solution and doesn’t leave you feeling lost or without options...Menopur 150 units and Gonal F 300 units to help mature eggs...Estrace (estradiol) 2mg tablets twice daily to build up lining of uterus...lining showed fluid, used mucinex to decrease fluid
Columbia University Fertility Center is a well-kept facility, both organized and clean...staff is on the same page to ensure that everything functions smoothly...fully satisfied with the decorum of staff both over the phone, online, and in person...Meghan was very responsive to all my questions and provided regular updates
How was your experience with Iris Insogna at Columbia University?
Dr. Insogna has the best bedside manner and really understands her patients. She is very caring and nurturing and makes you feel like she is going through the process with you. She always seems to find the solution and doesn’t leave you feeling lost or without options. We were always able to rely on Dr. Insogna throughout the process and she put us at ease during our most challenging periods. As an older couple, we tried everything to get pregnant, prior to our visit with her, and truly appreciate everything she did to make us comfortable. We can’t thank her enough for all her efforts. We recommend Dr. Insogna to the highest degree for anyone looking to get pregnant through the IVF process and is in need of someone who will be that true support system.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Iris Insogna at Columbia University?
Don’t lose hope even when things don’t always seem to go right. Explore all options and listen to the dr.’s advice.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Iris Insogna at Columbia University?
Dr. Insogna was sensitive to our needs and answered all our questions and concerns
Describe the protocols Iris Insogna used in your cycles at Columbia University and their degree of success.
Used Menopur 150 units and Gonal F 300 units to help mature eggs. Menopur was increased as needed. Used Estrace (estradiol) 2mg tablets twice daily to build up lining of uterus prior to transfer. When lining showed fluid, used mucinex to decrease fluid. PRP was also introduced to increase lining, didn’t help much with thickness, but lining had a beautiful trilaminar appearance. Prior to transfer, took Tamoxifen 40mg, 2 tablet once a day for 5 days. Also, took baby aspirin (81mg) daily and still taking through pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Meghan E. DeRuyter)
Meghan was very responsive to all my questions and provided regular updates on the process and was thorough with her explanations and directions.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Columbia University Fertility Center is a well-kept facility, both organized and clean. All staff is on the same page to ensure that everything functions smoothly, with a seamless transition for patients, as they move through the front office and on to the medical team. Patients will be fully satisfied with the decorum of staff both over the phone, online, and in person.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Columbia University.
Monitoring appointments were scheduled in the morning, the process was quick and efficient. Allowed for me to get to work on time.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Iris Insogna at Columbia University.
Most expenses were covered by my insurance except for the facility fee, embryo storage fee and genetic testing fee
Describe Iris Insogna's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Columbia University.

2022 - 2023, Unknown Success
impressed by Dr. Forman's calm and reassuring demeanor as well as his clinical knowledge and willingness to try something different with my retrieval protocol...I have endometriosis around my ovaries which has impacted my egg quantity and quality...recommended taking letrozole during the first 5 days of stims, plus a lower dose protocol (150 gonal, 150 menopur)...worked really well
Columbia [University] sees a lot of patients...you do feel like a number...no guarantee your own doctor will do your retrieval or transfer...SUPER expensive if you don't have insurance...researchers who deeply understand best practices and new therapies...Scheduling appointments is super easy..Nurse Christine...very helpful and compassionate
How was your experience with Eric Forman at Columbia University?
I came to Dr. Forman after having worked with a different doctor at Columbia and then having moved to NYU. I decided to move back to Columbia to give him a try and I am so glad I did. Right away, I was impressed by Dr. Forman's calm and reassuring demeanor as well as his clinical knowledge and willingness to try something different with my retrieval protocol. He is firmly grounded in emerging fertility research and best practices. My previous doctor at Columbia would tell me what I wanted to hear and was a very confusing and long-winded communicator. Dr. Forman doesn't hesitate to give his clinical opinion and not sugar coat things, but he's also willing to hear your concerns, give options, and if there's something you really want to try, he will usually partner with you. I feel lucky to be in his care. As some have commented, he can sometimes come across as a bit reserved, maybe a little bit awkward, but don't confuse that for a lack of caring. After a recent difficult procedure, he personally called me to check in and make sure I'm ok. He is on email and will respond at almost any time of day. One other possible downside, depending on your wishes, is that he does not do any of the more experimental/non-research based treatments or protocols. So if you want to do immune treatments like intralipids, you may need to go elsewhere.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Eric Forman at Columbia University?
He is open to your questions and suggestions, so don't hesitate to have a conversation. If something isn't working, ask him what other approaches he would recommend. If you're coming from another clinic/doctor, ask what he would do differently. I'm sure he will have ideas.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Eric Forman at Columbia University?
Although Columbia treats lots of women and monitoring can sometimes feel like a cattle call, Dr. Forman makes sure to check in during every stims cycle in some way. He would do his best to do my ultrasound once in a while and would make sure to check in by email. He remembers little details that I've mentioned during previous appointments. Last but not least, he is (shockingly) always available by email and is usually very responsive. When I had concerns about my follicle growth during a stim cycle, he responded right away, heard my concerns and we partnered together to determine whether I would move ahead to transfer. He always gives his clinical opinion but he also is responsive to hearing my needs.
Describe the protocols Eric Forman used in your cycles at Columbia University and their degree of success.
I have endometriosis around my ovaries which has impacted my egg quantity and quality. I've done 8 retrieval cycles to bank 6 embryos. After doing a medium dose traditional protocol and two high dose protocols (one was lupron microflare) all with estrogen priming with other doctors, I consulted with Forman. He recommended taking letrozole during the first 5 days of stims, plus a lower dose protocol (150 gonal, 150 menopur). This protocol worked really well and was something no other doctor recommended. I did one medicated FET which did not work, so next FET we will try a modified natural. In between, Forman suggested a hysteroscopy and endometritis biopsy. I was positive for endometritis, so I did 3 weeks of antibiotics and my second biopsy was clear so we can move on to FET soon.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Christine)
To be honest, because Dr. Forman is so responsive on email, I often communicate with him more than Nurse Christine. However, I've found her to be very helpful and compassionate. I also love the women that do blood draws, they are super sweet.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Like all the big NYC university affiliated fertility clinics, Columbia sees a lot of patients. Sometimes you do feel like a number. There's no guarantee your own doctor will do your retrieval or transfer. Cycles are SUPER expensive if you don't have insurance. That being said, I wanted good results, so I want to go where the doctors perform these procedures thousands of times and are researchers who deeply understand best practices and new therapies.
Scheduling appointments is super easy through MyChart. It can be a bit of a cattle call, but during my 5 rounds of stims, I only remember a couple times when they were running more than 15 minutes late. I felt like everything was very efficient and well-run.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Eric Forman at Columbia University.
Egg retrieval cycles were about 15K excluding morning monitoring because my insurance did cover those visits.
Describe Eric Forman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Columbia University.
Dr. Forman has done a lot of research in this area and he is firm about eSET.

2022 - 2023, Unsuccessful
1 Egg Freezing With Other Docs
Dr. Insogna is the most compassionate, kind, and brilliant doctor I could ever hope to have. She's so warm and encouraging, always holding out hope (while remaining realistic), but erring on the side of positivity...She's also unbelievably accessible both over email and by phone, and she's always very quick to respond to all of my questions and very thorough in her responses...whenever possible, she does my ultrasounds herself. It feels like she goes out of her way to do them and to make sure that we can see each other in person.
Columbia is a wonderful clinic. Like other large clinics, you're likely to see a variety of doctors, nurses, radiology technicians, etc. when you go in. I had excellent experiences with all of them. Everyone was professional, courteous, and knowledgeable. The clinic itself is very comfortable. It feels surprisingly intimate, given how many patients it sees. I almost never have to wait more than a few minutes to be seen for morning monitoring. The receptionists at the front desk are helpful and warm. The office is also very physically pleasant.
How was your experience with Iris Insogna at Columbia University?
If I could give Dr. Insogna a rating of 100 instead of 10, I would. I'd give her a 1,000. From the moment I started working with her, I felt totally at ease with her. At every turn, I've felt like she's my advocate. When things go well, I feel like she's genuinely excited for me, and when I've had setbacks, I feel like she's truly disappointed for me. She’s just unbelievably knowledgeable and brilliant, versed in the latest research and clinical techniques. I completely trust her opinion about everything, but I also feel that she listens to and supports my wishes. She doesn't have a pushy top-down doctor-knows-best agenda (even though she really does know best). I feel like we're partners and collaborators. She acknowledges that I'm the expert on how I'm feeling in my own body and how I feel about different courses of treatment. She's an amazing communicator and explains everything clearly, thoroughly, and in straightforward language. No question is too small for her. She treats my silly questions about fringe nutritional supplements with as much seriousness and respect as she treats my questions about medical procedures. She's incredibly accessible over email and by phone and never makes me feel rushed. She always makes me feel like she has unlimited time to answer my questions. I've also been so impressed by how knowledgeable she is about financing IVF. She acknowledges how expensive it is and collaborates with the billing department to make sure that we have insurance coverage before moving forward. When our insurance provider initially blocked me for treatment, claiming that I didn't qualify as "infertile," she very patiently (and effectively) convinced them that I do meet the criteria. She’s so compassionate, so smart, so caring and kind and great. I could not trust Dr. Insogna more or hold her in higher esteem. She's absolutely amazing. I feel so unbelievably lucky to be working with her.
I'd advise prospective patients to ask her any questions you have. She'll answer every one of your questions with thoughtfulness and care.
Dr. Insogna is the most compassionate, kind, and brilliant doctor I could ever hope to have. She's so warm and encouraging, always holding out hope (while remaining realistic), but erring on the side of positivity. Throughout this challenging process, she's always said such caring, things, going out of her way to reassure me that I'm doing everything right and haven't done anything wrong. She’s quick to acknowledge the emotional and psychological challenges of IVF as well as the physical ones, and she’s always validated my feelings. She's also unbelievably accessible both over email and by phone, and she's always very quick to respond to all of my questions and very thorough in her responses. (She responds the same day I email, often within hours—sometimes within minutes!) She never, ever makes me feel rushed--she acts like she has all the time in the world for me. In terms of clinical care, whenever possible, she does my ultrasounds herself. It feels like she goes out of her way to do them and to make sure that we can see each other in person. I opted to do a natural embryo transfer (which makes the timing impossible to predict), and she was so kind in expressing disappointment that she wouldn't be able to be the one to do the procedure herself (but she also reassured me about the excellent doctor who did do the transfer). She's also always really mindful of issues around consent and making her patients feel as comfortable as possible, even during uncomfortable procedures. So, for example, whenever she's done my ultrasound, she's started by saying, "Is it okay if we get started?" I've always really appreciated that. She also shows me the ultrasound and explains everything she sees. I’ve been really moved, too, by her remarkable recall of personal details about my life. She remembered, for instance, that I was in the middle of a home renovation and living upstate for a while. I know that she has lots of patients, so it blows me away how much of a personal connection I feel that I have with her. And she was willing to tell me about her own experiences with IVF, which I truly appreciated. (She has also shared this on Columbia's website.) Knowing that my doctor has gone through the same treatments I have has been so heartening. I feel like she really understands what I've been going through. On top of all that, she's funny. And she always uses her first name with me, which makes me feel even more like we have a human connection. She's just the best doctor ever. I feel like I won the lottery in getting to work with her. I’m just so grateful.
For my first retrieval cycle, she started with a relatively conservative/low dose of Menopur (I think 150 units) in order to try to give me the lowest dose possible, but she gradually increased it over the course of the cycle as I required the maximum dose (300 iu) for ovary stimulation. I was also on 300 iu of Gonal-F. I think I used Cetrotide, Ovidrel, and Leuprolide to trigger. I had 10 follicles and five eggs retrieved, three of which fertilized normally and two of which made it to blastocyst. Neither was genetically normal. For my second retrieval, she kept me on 300 iu of Menopur and 300 iu of Gonal-F, but she moved me to microcode Lupron in the mornings and evenings (I think 20 iu each time). I believe that I only used the Ovidrel to trigger (but I could be wrong about that). I had 9 follicles, five of which were retrieved (one was matured overnight in culture), three of which (including the one that matured in culture overnight) fertilized normally, two made it to blastocyst, and one was genetically normal. For my third IVF round, I had asked Dr. Insogna about mini IVF, so we tried a hybrid treatment. I took some oral medications (I don't remember which ones--maybe Clomid?) along with lighter doses of injectables. But only two of my follicles were growing, so we decided to cancel that round. (At that point, I thought that insurance would only cover three rounds, and it seemed like a waste given that the other rounds had gone better.) My next round went worse than expected, and I'm almost certain it's because I got very sick right beforehand. My sickness (not Covid) delayed my period for nine days, and I have a very regular cycle, so that was weird. I kept the same protocol as for cycle two above, but I only had, I think, 7 follicles, five of which were retrieved (three matured in culture overnight). I think 2-3 of them fertilized, but none made it to blastocyst. I decided to do a fourth round because when I went in for an evaluation for an embryo transfer, it turned out that I had 14 follicles that month. We kept the same protocol from cycles two and three, and eight eggs were retrieved. Six of them were mature, three fertilized, and two made it to blastocyst. Unfortunately, neither was genetically normal.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: I worked with a lot of nurses, but mostly Haley Roche)
Haley is really kind and approachable. She set up a Zoom with me before I did my first egg retrieval and showed me how to inject all of the medications (even though I'd done an egg retrieval years earlier at a different clinic). She always responds to my emails quickly and thoroughly.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
I am extremely fortunate that I have really comprehensive health insurance, so I've had to pay very little out of pocket to see Dr. Insogna. I realize how incredibly lucky I am.
I only had one embryo, so we didn't discuss this.

2018 - 2023, Successful
Dr. Brady was a thorough clinician who was very pragmatic about expectations, risks, side effects, and outcomes. She shared data and insights every step of the way and supported us in making informed decisions. We received follow-up communications after every visit and she clearly outlined the next steps. She was also very considerate about my comfort throughout the process, always checking in to see how I was feeling and offering advice on ways to manage the process and minimize discomfort. We could not have asked for a better doctor!
The [Columbia University] clinic is really full-service. It has everything on site so no going to different floors or labs for various testing. I had to have an additional procedure not related to IVF during the process and it was so reassuring to be able to do it there with the team I knew. The clinic is also beautiful, spotless, and very covid conscious, which I appreciated...the entire nursing staff were wonderful. They were communicative, thoughtful and very helpful during this process. They always followed up after every appointment and sent clear emailed directions for all steps along the way. I was never confused about what to do and didn't need to track them down for anything.
How was your experience with Paula Brady at Columbia University?
She made what can be an incredibly difficult process as seamless as it could possibly be. She is very detailed and happy to answer any questions so come prepared with all of the things you want to ask because she will happily cover everything and it was very helpful to have a list ready each visit.
Dr. Brady was warm, friendly, and very communicative throughout our entire process. I visited her for both egg freezing in 2018 and then for IVF in 2022. During both processes, I felt completely comfortable asking anything and she answered every question with the same compassion and consideration, no matter how silly it might have been.
I did an egg-freezing cycle and then ended up needing to use those eggs for IVF 4 years later. Dr. Brady gave provided us with clear information and medical recommendations based on my age, test results, insurance coverage and family goals. I ended up doing one egg retrieval cycle during the freezing process and was able to get 10 eggs. Four years later, my husband and I made embryos with those eggs for IVF. We genetically tested all viable embryos and ultimately ended up with 3 healthy embryos available for transfer. We did a single embryo transfer and are currently pregnant with our first child.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Angela Pugliese)
Angela, Diamond and the entire nursing staff were wonderful. They were communicative, thoughtful and very helpful during this process. They always followed up after every appointment and sent clear emailed directions for all steps along the way. I was never confused about what to do and didn't need to track them down for anything.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
The clinic is really full-service. It has everything on site so no going to different floors or labs for various testing. I had to have an additional procedure not related to IVF during the process and it was so reassuring to be able to do it there with the team I knew. The clinic is also beautiful, spotless, and very covid conscious, which I appreciated.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Paula Brady at Columbia University.
My egg freezing was not covered under my insurance so I paid out of pocket but my IVF was covered at about 90%. The egg freezing including medications, retrieval, storage, etc. was about $15,000. The IVF costs were about $4000 (including all medications, monitoring, and genetic testing.)
Describe Paula Brady's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Columbia University.
Dr. Brady recommended a single embryo transfer based on my age (41) and other factors (including research data she shared and our specific circumstances) and we completely agreed with her recommendations.

2019 - 2022, Successful
[Dr. Eric Forman] is extremely communicative and straight forward and clear about the process...is transparent with any risk...available to answer any question or concern...shows compassion when necessary...pregnancy resulted in my healthy baby boy...am pregnant with another healthy baby boy (15 weeks along).
[At Columbia University] all of the people you encounter are warm, friendly and informed. Sometimes the wait time was not ideal...access to your doctors and nurses via email was really amazing and unlike anything I saw at other clinics...felt very heard and taken care of throughout...provided a lot of tutorials and info through IVF
How was your experience with Eric Forman at Columbia University?
At first, I was hesitant and cautious as I was coming from another fertility clinic, CCRM, that I had a horrible and heartbreaking experience at. My first impression of Dr Forman is that he was a tad bit awkward in his demeanor but I was excited at the thought of trying a different and respected clinic like Columbia. Now that I am through all of my treatments (pregnant with my second healthy baby) I can confidently say that I truly loved working with Dr Forman. He is extremely communicative and straight forward and clear about the process. He is transparent with any risk and would be available to answer any question or concern I had along the way both times. He shows compassion when necessary though not overly so which made me feel like he was more genuine than someone who was overly so and phony. Most importantly, I trusted him fully the whole way through and knew he had my best interest in mind always. I am so deeply grateful that I found him and that he gave me a hopeful and successful journey that I hadn't experienced before. I have a 2 year old boy and another on the way both successes of first time transfers and again, I could not feel more grateful for Dr Forman for making my dream come true.
If you are put off by potential awkwardness, please look past it as he is an extremely wonderful and capable doctor.
I felt like a human because I could email Dr Forman directly with any questions/concerns I had and he would reply so quickly with a response. All of the staff on his team likewise made me feel quite cared for throughout the entire process.
We started off with Clomid and IUI cycles as we agreed that would be a good start before the investment of IVF since my fertility was unexplained. Unfortunately these did no produce positive pregnancy tests. Then Dr Forman suggested I might try to get an endometrial biopsy which is done via surgery. I was happy to do so as I didn't want to move forward with IVF without knowing if I had a huge obstacle in my way. Turns out I did have some endometriosis which was removed in that surgery. After that, we decided to do IVF. We did egg retrieval and then froze our embryos and did genetic testing on them. We then thawed and transferred one embryo in May 2021 which resulted in a positive pregnancy. We did progesterone shots and Estradiol for the first 10 weeks. This pregnancy resulted in my healthy baby boy. Then we took a break for about 2 years and decided we wanted to do another transfer. We used the same protocol as with my first son since it worked and I was happy to do that. Now I am pregnant with another healthy baby boy (15 weeks along).
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Kathryn Klinger)
Everyone was available (such an important and underrated attribute), friendly, informative, patient, and compassionate. Any issue I had was handled efficiently and timely. I felt like they all really cared about us.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Strengths are that mostly all of the people you encounter are warm, friendly and informed. Sometimes the wait time was not ideal, but most of the time it was seamless. I think the access to your doctors and nurses via email was really amazing and unlike anything I saw at other clinics. I personally felt very heard and taken care of throughout. They also provided a lot of tutorials and info through IVF which can be overwhelming in regards to the meds. It was all made so much easier because of the care I received at Columbia.
The costs were high as it was IVF. The transfers were about $2800 before meds. The retrieval was closer to $25k. They did provide us with info on financing plans and state grants that could be provided. I don't think the cost is much different elsewhere though. The monitoring appts were all covered under insurance which wasn't the case at CCRM where I went first. So that made a huge difference.
Columbia, I believe, only transfers one embryo at a time as a policy.

2021 - 2022, Successful
LGBTQ+
Dr. Rudick is excellent. Before suggesting a treatment, she tries to understand our circumstances, needs, and concerns. During the process, we changed our ideas back and forth, and she was very patient to hear our new thoughts and provide professional advice. What I appreciated the most was that Dr. Rudick prioritized my own health and well-being. After a few failed IUI cycles, I was a little desperate and asked her if we could do a medicated cycle to increase the number of eggs that month, Dr. Rudick spent time talking me through the pros and cons, and explained why that had an increased risk factor and she would not recommend that process based on my personal situation. Throughout my year and and half of treatment with Dr. Rudick, I constantly felt that I was taking care of Dr. Rudick and that I trusted her and her advice.
The [Columbia University] clinic is very clean, and efficient. There's always someone there to answer my questions, whether it is about sperm shipment, billing questions or over-the-weekend appointments. Overall I had a good experience with the clinic...I reached out to CUFC and they suggested us to meet with Dr. Rudick, who is very knowledgeable about LGBTQ+ care, and we really enjoyed working with her through the process.
How was your experience with Briana Rudick at Columbia University?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Briana Rudick at Columbia University?
If you are like me and want to know the scientific reasons behind those numbers and treatment plans, then always feel free to prepare questions before meeting with Dr. Rudick, and do not hesitate to reach out to Dr. Rudick whenever you have questions. She is more than happy to answer all the questions you have.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Briana Rudick at Columbia University?
Dr. Rudick is very approachable and she tries her best to understand our situation before suggesting a treatment plan. During the process, it was the nurse who usually communicated with me regarding the next steps, but whenever I had questions about the process or my test results, Dr. Rudick always answered them (and sometimes she would call me to explain) in time herself, which made me feel that she was there whenever I needed her.
Describe the protocols Briana Rudick used in your cycles at Columbia University and their degree of success.
I went for fertility treatment due to LGBT reasons. All my baseline test results came back good, so I started with IUI cycles which I used a trigger shot before insemination, but no other medications. We did not change the strategy of IUI and moved to IVF after 5 unsuccessful IUI cycles. For my IVF cycle, I primed with Estrace 2mg tablets, then used Gonal F (300 IU), Menopur (150 IU), Cetrotide, and a trigger shot the night before the retrieval. Dr. Rudick did my retrieval, which was very successful. For fertilization, we did ICSI and PTG-A, and we ended up with 5 Day 5 embryos. For embryo transfer, I underwent a natural cycle transfer, where Dr. Rudick performed my transfer, and resulted in a success pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Julissa Mota)
Julissa is great! She always sent nice messages with clear instructions on the next steps after my test. I had my treatment in 2021 and 2022 where most of the communication and meetings happened online due to COVID. Julissa offered to meet me in person before my IVF treatment, talked me through the injection process, and provided tips she had, which made me feel less anxious and more confident.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
The clinic is very clean, and efficient. There's always someone there to answer my questions, whether it is about sperm shipment, billing questions or over-the-weekend appointments. Overall I had a good experience with the clinic.
It is well organized, for most of the time the wait was not terrible, and all the staff were super nice.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Briana Rudick at Columbia University.
My insurance covers most of my IUI and IVF costs, except regular co-pay, ICSI, and PTG expenses. I would say we spent around 10K overall.
Describe Briana Rudick's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Columbia University.
Dr. Rudick suggested a single embryo transfer.
How competent was Columbia University at LGBTQ+ care?
I mentioned I am in a same-sex marriage the first time I reached out to CUFC and they suggested us to meet with Dr. Rudick, who is very knowledgeable about LGBTQ+ care, and we really enjoyed working with her through the process.
Describe your experience using 3rd party reproduction (donor eggs, donor sperm, or gestational carrier) at Columbia University.
We used donor sperm, and the coordination was quite straightforward. You can always ask if the lab receives a shipment, etc. when you are not sure.

2022, Successful
Columbia is in an excellent location in the city. The clinic was always incredibly clean, with friendly staff. Overall, things were run very efficiently. In the few months I was there, there was the odd day when appointments would be running behind, but generally the regular monitoring appointments were quick and speedy. One thing that really stood out to me was that every nurse there was excellent at administering blood tests – quick and almost completely painless every time.
How was your experience with Jenna Turocy at Columbia University?
Dr Turocy was kind, caring and informative throughout our treatment. She was always available to speak to us on video calls, and was very quick to respond to emails whenever we had questions. Dr Turocy's manner was always gentle and friendly, but we really appreciated that she was also very clear in all her communication, and laid things out in a very simple and factual way. She dealt with the ups and downs in our emotions throughout the process, including whenever we got stressed or anxious. We also live abroad, and despite the time difference and the added complications of our health system here, she went above and beyond to stay in touch with us and communicate with my doctors here. Although our first transfer didn't end up resulting in a health pregnancy, we still could not be happier that we chose Dr Turocy for this process, and have every faith in continuing to have her as our doctor.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jenna Turocy at Columbia University?
Don't be afraid to reach out directly to Dr Turocy, as she will always get back to you over email and is always happy to answer questions. On the flip side, her team is fantastic, so if you're concerned about anything, you can always get in touch with Lauren and Sakari as well.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jenna Turocy at Columbia University?
We came to Columbia after a terrible previous experience at another fertility clinic in the city. The difference in care was immediate – we were introduced to the whole team, including nurse and medication coordinators, and finance, so from day one we knew who to contact if there were any problems. Dr Turocy was always available at short notice to get on a video call with us and answer any questions we had. Communication was excellent from everyone throughout the process. I also hugely appreciated the care from all the nurses and other members of staff who were there. After so many visits for bloodwork and scans, they made the effort to learn my name and what I looked like, so it always felt like a personal experience when I went in there.
Describe the protocols Jenna Turocy used in your cycles at Columbia University and their degree of success.
Dr Turocy worked with us around all our very specific requirements, including the need for us to freeze my husband's sperm, and our desire for genetic testing, as well as the complications around booking flights into New York. Nothing was too much trouble, and she was able to find solutions to every problem we had. She also didn't make us feel as though even trivial issues were a nuisance to her. At our previous clinic my first retrieval only resulted in 10 eggs and 1 healthy embryo, whereas my retrieval at Columbia resulted in 28 eggs and 8 healthy embryos. How closely I was monitored by Dr Turocy in terms of how long she kept me on the medication before retrieval clearly made a big difference to the results.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Sakari Joseph)
I predominantly spoke to Sakari for the duration of my treatment at Columbia. She was absolutely fantastic – always prompt to reply over email and provided very clear, detailed instructions at every step. She went above and beyond to organise additional visits for me with other nurses if she wasn't available herself.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jenna Turocy at Columbia University.
We were self-pay patients, and appreciated that Columbia offer a discounted bundle rate for self pay. This made a huge difference compared to our previous clinic, who charged for each monitoring appointment and blood test. Having all tests and appointments included in the bundle rate meant we didn't have to worry whenever extra tests were ordered.
Jenna Turocy

2020 - 2021, Successful
Investment Banker
[Dr. Forman] asked lots of questions about both my and my husband's medical history, and also made an effort to know more about us on a personal level...was very realistic with expectations and direct in the way he communicated with us, while also demonstrating empathy and compassion. His responsiveness to emails and phone calls, and the office's quick turnaround time in communicating results also helped take some of the stress and anxiety out of an already stressful process.
Christine and the other nurses at Columbia were wonderful. They are extremely communicative and always available to answer questions. All of the staff at the clinic from the phlebotomists to the ultrasound technicians were caring and kind. The morning monitoring process was extremely smooth and ran efficiently...Convenient location, bright, clean office...Some minor billing issues...
How was your experience with Eric Forman at Columbia University?
In our first appointment with Dr. Forman, he provided a thorough overview of Columbia's fertility clinic and the typical diagnostic tests a new couple undergoes before starting treatments. He also went through what the typical path would be to go down (although everyone will be different). Dr. Forman provided plenty of detail on the various procedures and types of medication and answered questions we had about outcome probability and risks of treatment. He asked lots of questions about both my and my husband's medical history, and also made an effort to know more about us on a personal level. After bloodwork and other diagnostic tests, it was decided the best course of action would be to start with IUIs. After the first one was successful, we decided to try another IUI given I had responded well to the medication. We were unsuccessful again on attempts 2 and 3 and decided to move onto IVF. We started IVF with about two weeks of medication and while my follicles were a little slow to start growing, there were plenty to proceed with the egg retrieval procedure. We were excited to have fertilized eggs a day after the procedure, unfortunately, none of the fertilized eggs made it viable embryos and our first cycle was over. This was upsetting and disappointing but Dr. Forman spent an hour on the phone with me after sharing the results walking through what could have caused that outcome and providing reassurance that he was confident that we could have success with another round. We agreed to take a month off and then try again. Dr. Forman tweaked our protocol slightly for round two and it seemed like my response to the medication was better this time around. After the egg retrieval, we had 8 fertilized eggs, 5 which made it to the Day 5 blastocyst stage and 4 which came back as good after being sent for genetic testing. Dr. Forman shared the news with us on Valentine's Day evening (which on top of being Valentine's Day was a also Sunday - he really does care about his patients!!) and we couldn't have been more grateful for such good news that day. We did a medicated transfer cycle a month later with our highest-quality embryo. While we did get pregnant based on the early bloodwork after the transfer, our levels were low and Dr. Forman was realistic about the chances of the pregnancy being viable. Ultimately we experienced a biochemical pregnancy which was devastating to us. Dr. Forman was understanding and compassionate while also giving us hope that we still have good embryos left and that there was a good chance the next try would work. For our next transfer, Dr. Forman suggested we try a natural cycle which involves no medication and closely monitoring my own cycle to time the transfer with ovulation. We used a trigger shot to ensure the timing of ovulation. This second cycle worked; early bloodwork looked promising and continued on the right trajectory and an ultrasound two weeks later confirmed the pregnancy and we saw the heartbeat. At 9 weeks we "graduated" from Dr. Forman's care and he helped us find an OBGYN to allow us to continue our care with Columbia.
Know you are in good hands and ask any and all questions you have - Dr. Forman will find time to get you the answers you need
Dr. Forman was very realistic with expectations and direct in the way he communicated with us, while also demonstrating empathy and compassion. His responsiveness to emails and phone calls, and the office's quick turnaround time in communicating results also helped take some of the stress and anxiety out of an already stressful process.
IUIs: Clomid + Trigger Shot Retrieval Round 1: Started on birth control; Follistim + Low Dose HCG; Ganirelix; Lupron + HCG trigger Retrieval Round 2: Clomid; Follistim + Menopur; Ganirelix; Lupron + HGC trigger Medicated Transfer: Started on birth control; Estrogen + Progesterone injections Natural Transfer: Progesterone suppositories + trigger shot
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Christine (Nurse))
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Strengths -Wonderful doctors and nurses who truly care and are accessible -Efficiently-run morning monitoring process -Convenient location, bright, clean office Weaknesses -Some minor billing issues
Dr. Forman is supportive of elective single embryo transfer
Columbia University

She [Dr. Karipcin] is very efficient and knows what she is doing...She understood my anxiety issues caused due to infertility and understood my physical pain caused by severe endometriosis...we knew she would never take any shorts or do conventional practice, her plan was tailor only for me...Dr K helped us find the right surgeon [for diagnostic laparoscopy] and worked very closely with our surgeon to maximize our chances of successful transfer....
[nurse at Columbia University] was very polite and thorough and explained all instructions very well. she never minded taking follow up questions from me and always returned my calls the same day...Zaria( care coordinator) was very efficient in making changes to accommodate me. She made sure everyone was in sync. I never had to send a single reminder to anyone in the staff.
How was your experience with Sinem Karipcin at Columbia University?
After 2 failed embryo transfer of chromosomally normal embryos and a panic attack we met with Dr K. During our 1st consult she was very patient, professional and proactive- she took notes of my medical history, went through all my scan and reports, asked us abt our fertility goal ( which I had completely given up on), and also gave us an egg retrieval protocol. She knew exactly what I needed for good results. she was very positive abt my case and had a plan- we decided to do 2 egg retrievals as I have DOR and want 2 kids and she strongly suggested me to take Lupron for 2 cycles- due to endometriosis and adenomyosis- clearly it was long journey but she was totally on our side and knew how to get us the results. very next cycle we started ER protocol and despite low follicular count and DOR got 3 embryos. we took a break of 2 cycles, while we were figuring out a possible Infectious disease issue. Then we did 2nd ER and again got 3 embryos. the very same cycle I took first lupron shot. by then my endo pain was getting worse so we decided to diagnostic laparoscopy. Again Dr K helped us find the right surgeon and worked very closely with our surgeon to maximize our chances of successful transfer. Dr K was always more positive abt our case then us. She is very efficient and knows what she is doing. Every second I was in her care I was her number one priority. She decided to do a Mock transfer due to the position of my uterus and made a decision to do my transfer under anesthesia, by this point we trusted Dr K blindly and did what she said- we knew she would never take any shorts or do conventional practice, her plan was tailor only for me. I was vey nervous for the transfer but when I saw Dr K I could relax and calm down my nerves went in the transfer room the whole experience was very positive and I we got pregnant the same cycle. I know only Dr K could have got me pregnant because she understood how my case was different and was willing to think out of box.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sinem Karipcin at Columbia University?
plz trust her. she knows what she is doing. plz let her know your expectations and tell her how you feel abt your struggles. She will go out of her way to make your journey easy. Her positive vibes will make you believe in your dream to become a mother.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sinem Karipcin at Columbia University?
Dr K is like a very kind and understanding friend. She understood my anxiety issues caused due to infertility and understood my physical pain caused by severe endometriosis. she was well aware of my history and knew what hell of a journey I had been through. she always considered my comfort and pain levels before any treatment. I was truly taken care of under her practice. Dr K and Varda ( Nurse) would call me multiple times to make sure all my questions and concerns were addressed.
Describe the protocols Sinem Karipcin used in your cycles at Columbia University and their degree of success.
Dr K suggested Estrogen priming for my case she was right that cycle I did not get a lead follicle. For stimulation we used menopur and follistim. I think I took ovidrel for trigger shot. Although we got only 9 eggs( due to DOR) we got 3 embryos on day5. protocol was the same for both cycles and resulted in total 6 embryos. when I took lupron she strongly suggested me to take add back with it and that was blessing, without add back my lupron days were not livable. Infact with lupron + add back I was very energetic and productive. for transfer I took estrogen vaginally and progesteron in oil.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Varda )
Varda( nurse) was a blessing. I actually looked forward to her call after every monitoring appointment. she was very understanding and had an effect of a tranquillizer on my anxious infertility struck nerves. She was very polite and thorough and explained all instructions very well. she never minded taking follow up questions from me and always returned my calls the same day. I knew she genuinely cared for me and cheered me up whenever needed. Zaria( care coordinator) was very efficient in making changes to accommodate me. She made sure everyone was in sync. I never had to send a single reminder to anyone in the staff.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
strength- best staff. they know they have the best people. everyone is in business of providing care, best medical services and nothing else. very high ethical standards- I never experienced negligence or carelessness from anyone or any department. After every appointment I got a feedback notification from clinic admin. weakness- none
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sinem Karipcin at Columbia University.
our first ER was covered by insurance 100%. 2nd ER was completely out of pocket- abt 10 k and transfer was covered by insurance.
Describe Sinem Karipcin's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Columbia University.
she preferred single embryo transfer.
Columbia University

Because of my diminished ovarian reserve, we planned to do all three retrievals [with Dr. Karipcin] back to back for batching before moving on to a transfer...has a wonderful way of making you feel seen and known. She knows your case inside and out, and is able to talk about it on the fly during appointments and procedures. She is quite genuine and makes you feel like she cares about you and is rooting for your success.
We had a very positive experience with Columbia Fertility Center. Everyone from the front desk, to the phlebotomists, to the sonographers, to the nursing staff and care coordinators were attentive, efficient, and extremely friendly. We had dozens of appointments over the course of a year and rarely, if ever, had to wait (even in the midst of the covid pandemic). The space is bright, friendly, and soothing and extremely clean. The OR is the back of the office which makes it a one stop shop. It truly came to feel like a second home (for better or for worse). There is a 24-7 emergency help line that we made use of several times. It is probably important to know that you will not see your doctor during most of your monitoring appointments and they may not be on call when you have procedures (IUI/IVF). Our case was complicated in certain ways (e.g., I have a tilted cervix which made my IUIs and some additional tests hellish) and as such Dr. K made a special effort to be there for most of our big appointments.
How was your experience with Sinem Karipcin at Columbia University?
We have nothing but positive things to say about Dr. K. Not only is she an attentive and compassionate person but she is also extremely competent as a doctor. We never felt rushed during our appointments and she was responsive and thorough when we had questions. She knew our case inside and out. We ran into a variety of obstacles due to my diminished ovarian reserve and egg quality issues and she adjusted our protocol accordingly - at each stage we had better outcomes than the last. Throughout our travails, she was consistently positive/optimistic yet also realistic about the possible outcomes. If we decide to have more children in the future, we absolutely plan to continue on with Dr. K and in the interim we will highly recommend her to friends and family who encounter their own struggles with infertility.
Our advice is not anything specific about Dr. K - we would advise new patients that this process is very likely to take longer than you anticipate and to adjust your expectations accordingly.
Dr. Karipcin (aka Dr. K) has a wonderful way of making you feel seen and known. She knows your case inside and out, and is able to talk about it on the fly during appointments and procedures. She is quite genuine and makes you feel like she cares about you and is rooting for your success.
We tried for 6 months before seeking out a reproductive endocrinologist (by that point I was age 36). During that period, I had two miscarriages. I was diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve and Dr. K also suspected that I had some endometriosis. My husband had low sperm morphology (2%). Our sequence of treatments was in part based on our insurance coverage which required at least three rounds of IUI before moving on to IVF. As such, we did three IUI cycles – the first one natural (no additional drugs) and the second two medicated – one with clomid and one with letrazole. We had a chemical pregnancy with the first and the second two were unsuccessful. From there we moved on to IVF. Thankfully, our insurance covers three retrievals/transfers (what luck/privilege as we could not go forward otherwise). Because of my diminished ovarian reserve, we planned to do all three retrievals back to back for batching before moving on to a transfer. 1) First Cycle: Meds: 225 gonal; 225 menopur; cetrotide starting day 9 of treatment. Unfortunately, I was unresponsive. I only produced 2 follicles and Dr. K switched us to IUI instead of a retrieval. The IUI was unsuccessful. 2) Second Cycle: Meds: 150 gonal days 1-8 --> 225 gonal starting day 9; 150 menopur; clomid days 1-5; cetrotide starting day 7 of treatment. This cycle I produced more eggs and went forward with the retrieval. 8 were retrieved, 7 mature. Unfortunately, most of the eggs had empty zona pellucida (which is the outside shell). As such, only 1-2 were able to be fertilized with ICSI. None made it past day 3. 3) Third Cycle: Meds: 150 gonal days 1-5 --> 225 gonal days 6-8 --> 300 gonal days 9-11; 150 menopur; letrazole days 1-5; cetrotide starting day 9. This cycle 10 were retrieved, 7 were mature, and 5 were fertilized with ICSI. Of those, 2 became day 5 blastocysts and 3 became day 7 blastocysts. We sent them out for genetic testing and the first two tested normal. We planned to take a month off before our final retrieval and somehow, by some miracle, I got pregnant naturally and am just starting my second trimester (fingers crossed). We have one more retrieval covered by our insurance and tentatively plan to go forward in the future (with Dr. K). In the meantime, our two “good” blastocysts are on ice for the future.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Varda Souverain)
Varda trained me on the injections and communicated with us about our medication protocol throughout our IUI and IVF cycles. She was always available through email/the phone and was quite responsive to our questions/needs.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
We had incredible insurance coverage (IUIs and IVF meds were fully covered, IVF was covered at 75%). We are waiting on bills for our second IVF retrieval but I believe that we ended up paying $1,300 out of pocket for our first retrieval as well as a handful of $20 copays here and there. I believe we will be paying approximately $100/month for frozen embryo storage.
We have yet to get to the transfer phase with Dr. K.
Columbia University

[Dr. Sinem Karipcin] was personable, optimistic and realistic at the same time. I wrote that she treated me like a human because she always remember my name, my husband's name and even the purse I brought to each appointment...I felt like I was in excellent hands because she would tell me all of the statistics and even mentioned how some of the statistics were slightly different for African-American women (I'm African-American). At each appointment, Dr. Karipcin would explain next steps, remind me to stay optimistic. She didn't shy away from explaining potential complications that might arise due to my endometriosis and fibroids, but she would always remind me to focus on the positive and that we would deal with any complications as they might arise.
Columbia University Fertility is clean, the staff is professional and they are very good at providing information upfront. Once you decide to work with them, you are matched with a Care team, given their contact information and clear understand of the procedures and protocols. The New York, NY location is also very accessible by public transportation, which was important to me. The biggest bonus is that Columbia Fertility offers a monthly support group for women undergoing fertility treatments (it was also open to non-Columbia patients), which I found helpful.
How was your experience with Sinem Karipcin at Columbia University?
Dr. K always welcomed me with a warm smile. She has a very strong bedside manner. In fact, I noticed that she greets everyone in the clinic by name when she comes in each morning. I felt like I was in excellent hands because she would tell me all of the statistics and even mentioned how some of the statistics were slightly different for African-American women (I'm African-American). At each appointment, Dr. Karipcin would explain next steps, remind me to stay optimistic. She didn't shy away from explaining potential complications that might arise due to my endometriosis and fibroids, but she would always remind me to focus on the positive and that we would deal with any complications as they might arise.
Be sure to share all of your concerns. Dr. Karipcin will address each and every one of them. At one of our first appointments, I came in with a list of questions and concerns. She didn't let me leave until I'd written down notes/answers to each one of them. At one particular appointment, I cried while waiting to get my blood drawn. Dr. Karipcin and Nurse Varda set with me to alleviate my fears while in between patients.
Dr. K was personable, optimistic and realistic at the same time. I wrote that she treated me like a human because she always remember my name, my husband's name and even the purse I brought to each appointment. When scheduling me for morning monitoring, Dr. K and her team (Nurse Varda and Zaria) were always mindful to get me in as early as possible because I'm a teacher.
We did two round of IVF. Our regime consisted of was Gonal F, Menopur and then Centrotide. The trigger injection was Ovidrel and Lupron. Our first retrieval yielded about 8 eggs. The second retrieval yielded 15 eggs. Our IVF rounds were relatively close together (Oct/Nov 2019 & Dec 2019), the insurance company approved it and we wanted to complete them before Christmas. We did the recommended genetic testings for the embryos. So, now we have a total of 6 chromosomally strong embryos that can be transferred. Our original transfer date was postponed due to Covid. So, we did a transfer in May 2020. I am currently 16 weeks pregnant.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Nurse Varda)
Nurse Varda and Care Coordinator Zaria were extremely helpful to me. Varda was patient and answered every question in the emails I sent her. I would send emails with like 8 items and she would be sure to answer each question/concern. Zaria was thoughtful enough to call me for scheduling during my teacher breaks or lunchtime, because she knew those were the only times I was free to talk. The nursing staff, including ultrasound technician Rachel, Denaisha and Tanisha who took my blood during morning monitoring were also very welcoming, comforting, professional and funny. There was one appointment (in which we noticed that one of my fibroids was slightly bigger and this absolutely crushed me) and they reminded me to be positive, to pray and then got me focused on sports or some other topic so that I would stop crying, before heading to work. I was very thankful for them and their conversation.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
The morning monitoring hours worked well with my teaching schedule. It was very organized as well.
The majority of our treatment was covered by insurance. In fact, we didn't proceed until we knew it would be covered as "in-network." I usually only had to pay the co-payment. The cost of the IVF medications were not fully covered by insurance but they are now covered in New York State.
Columbia University Fertility does not do multiple embryo transfers. This is very clearly explained in the paperwork that you have to sign prior to embarking on the IVF journey. They are also clear to reiterate this around the retrieval dates. I agreed with Dr. K's approach. Due to my age at the time (36), fibroids and endometriosis, multiple embryo transfers were not recommended. Neither my OB/GYN, Fibroid surgeon, nor Dr. Karipcin recommended multiple embryo transfers.
Columbia University

Dr. Rudick was very patient with me, and was always available by email or by appointment to go through all of my questions. She made me feel like I had full control over the process, and that it was up to me to decide how aggressive I wanted to be, and the pace at which I wanted to proceed...She is also very straight forward and matter-of fact with results and reasons for those results, and she doesn't sugar-coat, which I appreciated and which added to my trust of her. When I received bad news after a few cycles back to back, Dr. Rudick sent me a very nice email and I felt that we were in this together, working toward a common goal. Al
The clinic [Columbia University] has a very calming atmosphere, and is very clean. There are plenty of seats for waiting patients, and several bathrooms. There was always water available and fresh fruit. The reception staff was very pleasant each time I arrived and check in was quick. The process during morning monitoring was consistent, and I hardly ever had to wait more than 5-10 minutes after my scheduled appointment time to be seen.
How was your experience with Briana Rudick at Columbia University?
Dr. Rudick is very professional and knowledgeable. She never pushed me to do something I was not ready to do, and let me set the pace of my treatments. When I decided to take a short break between cycles, she was very understanding. She is also very straight forward and matter-of fact with results and reasons for those results, and she doesn't sugar-coat, which I appreciated and which added to my trust of her. When I received bad news after a few cycles back to back, Dr. Rudick sent me a very nice email and I felt that we were in this together, working toward a common goal. Although Dr. Rudick was not always available at every visit, all of the doctors and nurses at Columbia were pleasant to work with. Before and during each procedure, Dr. Rudick would explain each step in detail, which helped ease my anxiety. I felt very cared for by her and the team at Columbia.
I would tell her that she is in good hands, to trust the process, and to ask a lot of questions to ease anxiety and understand all of the details and risks. At points, it can seem like there are no answers and it is all trial-and-error, but with each cycle, more information is gathered that will lead you toward the right treatment for you.
I was treated like a human, Dr. Rudick was very patient with me, and was always available by email or by appointment to go through all of my questions. She made me feel like I had full control over the process, and that it was up to me to decide how aggressive I wanted to be, and the pace at which I wanted to proceed.
After several tests, we were diagnosed with unexplained infertility, which can be very frustrating. We decided to try IUI first. The first cycle of IUI was with Clomid, which was not successful. The Dr. switched me to Letrozole for the next three IUI cycles. I felt a lot better on Letrozole (much less bloated). Unfortunately, these cycles all resulted in biochemical pregnancies. We met with Dr. Rudick to discuss next steps, and she recommended IVF with genetic testing as she suspected a chromosomal issue in the embryo was the cause of the biochemicals. We proceeded with this recommendation, which produced two normal embryos. We transferred one of the embryos and this resulted in a positive pregnancy.
Julissa and the nursing staff were very organized and pleasant to work with. Julissa always called me and/or emailed me with results around the same time of day, the day after testing. This was very consistent and eased my mind, because I knew when to expect to hear from her. I felt that I could reach out to her if I had any questions about medications, treatments, etc. When I started my first IVF cycle, Julissa met with me and showed me how to mix and administer each medication, and gave me tips on how to organize the meds and make it easy. She also sent me links to instructional videos online. The information was very helpful and eased my anxiety. I also got to know the phlebotomists; they were always nice and would greet me and say hello when they saw me. I felt like everyone was rooting for me.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
The clinic has a very calming atmosphere, and is very clean. There are plenty of seats for waiting patients, and several bathrooms. There was always water available and fresh fruit. The reception staff was very pleasant each time I arrived and check in was quick. The process during morning monitoring was consistent, and I hardly ever had to wait more than 5-10 minutes after my scheduled appointment time to be seen.
Fortunately, I had fertility coverage under my health insurance. I did have to pay some costs out of pocket up to the deductible. I also had to pay for the embryo freezing and the Genetic Testing separately, these were not covered by insurance. All in, I feel that I paid close to $8,000 out of pocket in total.
Dr. Rudick recommended transferring one embryo at a time, to avoid a multiple pregnancy. We agreed on this course of action.
Columbia University
I had Katrina and Tiffany as nurses. They did their jobs well. Even the nurses who draw blood exhibited a great standard of care. Peri, the Egg Donor Program Coordinator, is especially great. She was incredibly helpful and reliable.... I can't recommend this clinic (Columbia) enough. The only things that I would hope for other to avoid are things that they can't necessarily control. 1) Make sure your procedures are pre-authorized well in advance. Speak with your insurance yourself and know for sure that pre-autho went through.
How was your experience with Eric Forman at Columbia University?
Dr. Forman listened to my concerns and is very good with first time IVF patients. Nothing was too small for his attention and he’s always doing his best for you. He consistently went above and beyond for me the entire time I was in his care. A perfect example of this was when I had expressed how much I wanted him to perform the actual IVF procedure rather than another doctor from the clinic. The day of the procedure, it wasn’t guaranteed that he could make it but he rushed to the clinic and made it happen. I actually teared up when I saw him. These things mean the world to women who have no control over their bad fortune. He and his team understood that these things mattered and what a difference it makes when your concerns are taken seriously. Even the front desk and nurses who draw blood exhibited the same standard of care. Peri, the Egg Donor Program Coordinator, is especially great. She was incredibly helpful and reliable. I can’t recommend Columbia University Fertility Center enough.
I do not have a uterus but still have my ovaries. IVF, creating and freezing embryos and using a gestational carrier was the only strategy. It was all pretty straight forward for everyone. I declined using birth control because I had LH test strips to tell me approximately when my first day of cycle would be. He then monitored my blood work until we knew when to start everything. My injectables were Menopur, Gonal F & Cetrotide.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Katrina)
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
I can't recommend this clinic enough. The only things that I would hope for other to avoid are things that they can't necessarily control. 1) Make sure your procedures are pre-authorized well in advance. Speak with your insurance yourself and know for sure that pre-autho went through. 2) One of the third party companies that they work with, Igenomix that is used for PGS testing, relies on your IVF doctor to explain things that I believe should be their responsibility. The only thing that the clinic can do to help avoid a lot of frustration when it comes to finding out your results from Igenomix is to explain to their patients that 1) Currently, NY state law does not does not allow companies like Igenomix to disclose mosaic results 2) Explain that mosaic results from Igenomix are handled differently and how. 3) Interpret the results from Igenomix completely for the patient before they try to do it for themselves with an Igenomix rep. Again, all things that I believe Igonmix should explain before someone uses their services considering it has to do with their results and the service that your paying them to do, not the clinic. Igenomix should be saying, “You should know that that NY State law prevents us from disclosing information about mosaics…”, “this is how we outline our results. we conclude mosaic embryos are also abnormal embryos so you wouldn’t use them anyway… (paraphrasing that last part… that’s not exactly right)..”, “This is how you interpret our results, here is an example”.

2023 - 2024, Successful
Dr. Forman always showed compassion and understanding...made sure we were aware of the potential outcomes...had realistic expectations throughout the process...took the time to explain the X linked genetic disorder I had and how to minimize the possibility of passing it to my children
[Columbia University is] Very nice clinic, feels new and sanitary...weakness...at times, they would be very busy and appointments would be running behind so there would be a bit of a wait...majority of the time, I would be in and out in 15-20minutes...Nursing staff were very supportive during the process
How was your experience with Eric Forman at Columbia University?
While Dr. Forman always showed compassion and understanding, he also made sure we were aware of the potential outcomes and had realistic expectations throughout the process which was very helpful during this rollercoaster of a journey. He took the time to explain the X linked genetic disorder I had and how to minimize the possibility of passing it to my children. Dr. Forman also made himself available to answer any questions during the process and was extremely prompt in responding to emails. I liked being able to contact him directly for certain things.
He does not make any promises and give unrealistic hopes, but he is positive and encouraging. Our outcomes were very much in line with what he had predicted given our case so even certain difficult news were not necessarily surprises.
I received personalized care, and all pertinent information was communicated to me personally by Dr. Forman and he took the time to answer my questions while always remembering the details about our case and our goals.
Leading up to the egg retrieval, we did stims which were adjusted after a few bloodwork appointments. Then for frozen embryo transfer, he walked me through the various options and suggested that I am a good candidate for modified natural so I did not take additional medication that weren't necessary for my case. That was very appreciated.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Columbia University.
Nursing staff were very supportive during the process. Typically after a bloodwork and/or ultrasound appointment, the nurse emailed the results. It was timely and with plenty of information and instructions. If I had follow-up questions, they were prompt to respond but I rarely had any questions as the emails were thorough. They also included encouraging language and smiley faces when warranted.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Very nice clinic, feels new and sanitary. It is also in a good location which is easy to access. One weakness is at times, they would be very busy and appointments would be running behind so there would be a bit of a wait. However, majority of the time, I would be in and out in 15-20minutes. This is important as it can be a very time consuming process and stressful to manage the calendar if you have a job or other obligations.
Columbia/Dr. Forman were in network for my health insurance and I had fertility benefit so the out of pocket costs were minimal.
We wanted single embryo transfer and he supported that approach given the research.
2022 - 2024, Successful
Dr. Brady is a caring and compassionate doctor... chemotherapy...was reassuring, knowedgable, and optimistic, while also being candid about the odds of success...communicated clearly and frequently with me and my husband...She also attended both egg retrievals and our transfer...modified the IVF protocol to enhance our odds
[At Columbia University] Everyone from the phlebotomists to the receptionists were friendly and efficient...responsiveness was greatly appreciated...Angela is a great nurse. We communicated primarily over email and over the phone about the medication protocol. She was always professional, warm, and knowledgable.
How was your experience with Paula Brady at Columbia University?
My husband and I had a consulatation with Dr. Brady soon after I completed chemotherapy. We came to Dr. Brady worn out after my cancer treatment and fearful-- there was a 50/50 chance the chemotherapy I received would cause early menopause. Also, the first reproductive endocrinologist we worked with at a different Manhattan clinic told me after our first egg retrieval that we should consider an egg donor. Ouch. Thankfully, we found Dr. Brady through a referall from Memorial Sloan Kettering. She was highly recommened to us and is one of best doctors I've ever had (it's a short list). During my time with Dr. Brady she was reassuring, knowedgable, and optimistic, while also being candid about the odds of success. During each step of the process Dr. Brady communicated clearly and frequently with me and my husband. Luckily, my schedule allowed for me to schedule many of my embryo transfer cycle montiring appointments with Dr. Brady. She also attended both egg retrievals and our transfer. Having that continuity of care made me feel reassured and confident. I trust Dr. Brady and her medical advice implicitly.There were so many instances where Dr. Brady went above and beyond to ensure that we would be scheduled with her for important moments, which I greatly appreciated. She modified the IVF protocol to enhance our odds, and if there was something I wanted to do that wouldn't work, she explained why it wasn't the best thing for me. And it worked! I just "graduated" from the IVF program and I am 11 weeks pregnant. It all feels like a miracle.
Dr. Brady is an amazing doctor. I would recommend her to anyone, especially former cancer patients. If you feel unsure or concerned, ask questions.
Dr. Brady is a caring and compassionate doctor. She is easy to connect with person-to-person and her bedside manner is warm and friendly. Dr. Brady listened to all of my concerns and questions and answered each and every one-- in person during exams, over email, on video consult-- in a warm, thorough, and thoughtful manner. I felt that my concerns and questions were taken seriously and that Dr. Brady expressed empathy and patience when I felt stressed and worried. Best of all she celebrated our wins with us and helped to make our transfer day feel special. I expected the embryo transfer procedure to feel clinical and sterile, but it was a beautiful and moving day that my husband and I will cherish.
Angela is a great nurse. We communicated primarily over email and over the phone about the medication protocol. She was always professional, warm, and knowledgable. One instance that stands out is a phone call we had close to Christmas. We were starting the progesterone shots and felt a bit intimidated by it all. Angela walked us through the procedure over the phone and answered all of our questions. Angela was responsive to my questions and concerns and always returned with a response in a timely manner. If she was out of the office, the nurse covering her was equally as responsive and professional. Dr. Brady's support staff was wonderful as well.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
I had a great experience at CUFC. The Columbus Circle location is busy but efficient. I was always able to get an appointment at my prefered time and it was easy to schedule or modify appointments online. Everyone from the phlebotomists to the receptionists were friendly and efficient. I prefered the White Plains location because it was quieter and intimate, but just as efficient and professional. I found the staff in White Plains to be extremely warm and welcoming. Strengths: the on-call doctors assigned to the after hours number were always helpful. I had to call several times and the responsiveness was greatly appreciated. At the Columbus Circle location they play instrumental covers of pop songs a la Bridgerton. It was always fun to sit in the waiting room and try to figure out what I was listening to. "Is that an all violin version of 'Womanizer' by Britney Spears?"
Due to my medical history (age, cancer treatment) I wasn't eligible for a multiple embryo transfer (and I didn't want that anyway).

2023, 22 Eggs Frozen
Dr. Brady is caring and brilliant...explained the egg freezing process simply and clearly to me and answered all my questions...was patient and nothing ever felt rushed...so attentive and accessible: she would respond promptly to all my many initial questions...made key strategic and personalized decisions throughout the process on my dosages
Columbia was absolutely phenomenal...facilities are clean and state of the art, and every single nurse and staff member...was incredibly compassionate, patient, and smart...made me feel cared for and when I was nervous, the nurses would crack jokes to make me feel more comfortable.
How was your experience with Paula Brady at Columbia University?
Dr. Brady is caring and brilliant. In my initial consultation with her, Dr. Brady explained the egg freezing process simply and clearly to me and answered all my questions (and I had many!). My father (who is also a physician) joined the initial consultation call, and she answered all his questions as well. She was patient and nothing ever felt rushed with her. My father noted to me after the call that he found her to be very impressive and kind. From start to finish of the egg freezing process, Dr. Brady was so attentive and accessible: she would respond promptly to all my many initial questions about which vegan prenatal vitamins are best to use and which skincare was OK for me to use during the egg freezing process. She also made key strategic and personalized decisions throughout the process on my dosages, how much further to push, and which trigger to take. I know she has a very busy practice and so many patients, but she was so accessible and responsive that she made me feel like I was her only patient. Since my actual retrieval day fell on a weekend, another doctor (Dr. Bishop--who was absolutely amazing) did my retrieval. Thanks to Dr. Brady's key strategic decisions and personalized dosing plan for me, I obtained an excellent result especially for a 35.5 year-old: 23 retrieved eggs, 22 of which were mature. The process was seamless for me--I never had physical discomfort or any mental health issues throughout my egg freezing journey thankfully. I think that is due in part to Dr. Brady's excellent dosing and her and her team's care.
Don't hesitate to reach out to her with any questions--she responds to emails quickly and is very patient!
Dr. Brady is a warm and approachable person with excellent bedside manner. Everything felt personalized with her. In the initial consultation, Dr. Brady explained the process so well to me and answered all my questions. My father (who is also a physician) joined the initial consultation call, and she answered all his questions as well. She was patient and nothing ever felt rushed with her. He noted to me after the call that he found her to be very impressive and kind. From start to finish of the egg freezing process, Dr. Brady was so attentive and accessible: she would respond promptly to all my many initial questions about which vegan prenatal vitamins are best to use and which skincare was OK for me to use during the egg freezing process. She also made key strategic and personalized decisions throughout the process on my dosages, how much further to push, and which trigger to take. I know she has a very busy practice and so many patients, but she was so accessible and responsive that she made me feel like I was her only patient.
Nurse Pugliese was excellent. She was thorough and responsive, sending me instructions for the next day on time and answering any questions I had. She took the time out of her busy schedule to have a couple phone calls with me to discuss my questions.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Columbia was absolutely phenomenal. The clinic facilities are clean and state of the art, and every single nurse and staff member I interacted with there was incredibly compassionate, patient, and smart. No issues at all. They all made me feel cared for and when I was nervous, the nurses would crack jokes to make me feel more comfortable.
Progyny

LGBTQ+
[Dr. Sinem Karipcin] is a super positive doctor, and she always has a smile...same sex couple with no infertility...answers emails quickly and is really good at listening to what you...willing to move as quickly as you want to...did RIVF...got 25 eggs, all mature, 19 fertilized, and 12 great embryos...I’m currently 11 weeks
[Columbia University] a well-oiled machine...location is easy if you live on the west side of Manhattan...pricing is very straightforward...only issue is: they definitely do run behind on procedure days occasionally, leaving lots of people with full bladders...Everyone was prompt, kind, and clear. Our only issue was with billing
How was your experience with Sinem Karipcin at Columbia University?
Dr. K is a super positive doctor, and she always has a smile. To be fair, we had a very easy time with IVF as a same sex couple with no infertility, but it’s still not a fun process. She answers emails quickly and is really good at listening to what you as the patient want, while also balancing her knowledge of what works. She’s willing to move as quickly as you want to, which was important to us
Just make sure you’re ok working with an optimist! If you’re someone who prefers a pessimist, she’s not your doc.
Dr. K got to know us very well, very quickly and responded to our particular desires for family building, and tried to save us money along the way!
So we did RIVF. My wife’s egg retrieval was a pretty standard stim cycle of 150 menopur/150 follistim plus ganirilex. She stimmed for only 7 days at which point we got the ok to trigger! We got 25 eggs, all mature, 19 fertilized, and 12 great embryos! Dr. K did not recommend ICSI or PGT testing due to our background, and I really appreciate that decision (saved us money and wouldn’t have helped our success rates). For my first FET, we tried a medicated cycle due to my short luteal phase and that was unsuccessful. She immediately wanted to try a natural FET with PIO and that was the winning combination. I’m currently 11 weeks
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Katrina Leong )
We had a few different people email us at points. Everyone was prompt, kind, and clear. Our only issue was with billing (Jenna is extremely nice but you need to be on her!)
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Columbia is able to move and groove! We did our consult in July and we’re doing a FET by October. It’s a well-oiled machine. The location is easy if you live on the west side of Manhattan. The pricing is very straightforward. My only issue is: they definitely do run behind on procedure days occasionally, leaving lots of people with full bladders. The other thing (this was a pro for me) is they don’t give you your full lab values. Just “good”. I feel like this helped my anxiety, but if you like to know, you won’t like this.
Insurance covers very little for us (not infertile, just gay), so total out of pocket for the egg retrieval (including donor sperm) was around 15k. My two transfers were another 6k. Basic testing was another 5k.
Dr. K made it VERY clear from our consult that we would only do a single embryo transfer. She reiterated this at several points. We had no issue (no desire to risk twins).

2022 - 2023, Successful
Doctor Bishop was very patient and a good communicator...adjusted the treatment a few times and each time we saw improved results...took the time to explain the procedures substantiated by latest research...third time we transferred two and now we are 12 weeks pregnant...called the insurance and advocated on our part and we ended up doing ICSI and the insurance covering it
[Columbia University] seems small initially, but looking back maybe it is just the right size. Your assigned doctor is in charge of all your treatment adjustments but in the process you see many other doctors. Everything is very clean and high tech. Sometimes the waiting time for ultrasounds is not consistent.
How was your experience with Lauren Bishop at Columbia University?
Doctor Bishop was very patient and a good communicator throughout the process. She also adjusted the treatment a few times and each time we saw improved results, with our first egg retrieval we only had one embryo to transfer, while with our second one we got 5. I believe I was a tough patient, with a lot of opinions, but doctor Bishop took the time to explain the procedures substantiated by latest research. My insurance didn't cover ICSI (2 subpar sperm samples were required), so we weren't planning to do it, however the sample collected on the day of the egg retrieval/fertilization was subpar. Doctor Bishop called the insurance and advocated on our part and we ended up doing ICSI and the insurance covering it. She cares a lot about her patients.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lauren Bishop at Columbia University?
Please feel free to ask any questions you may have, she also answers emails fast and thoroughly.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lauren Bishop at Columbia University?
Doctor Bishop was on top of the treatment, and called many times to explain results. When the treatment was predictable time wise (medicated FET), she was the one to do the transfer/egg retrieval. All staff is attentive and professional though, so we got to interact with quite a few other doctors at the practice during our journey and they did not disappoint.
Describe the protocols Lauren Bishop used in your cycles at Columbia University and their degree of success.
I took medication for IUI 4 times, one time we just tried without the insemination (I had some liquid), the other 3 we had the insemination. All these failed. We used various doses of Clomid/Letrozole. Then we had 1 egg retrieval, that resulted in only one transferable embryo. This was transferred but the pregnancy test was negative again. We had another transfer that resulted in 5 embryos. We transferred one and the pregnancy result was again negative. The third time we transferred two and now we are 12 weeks pregnant, we have graduated from Columbia and moved to a usual obgyn. The transfers were a mix of medicated and natural, all embryos were frozen before transfer for at least a few days.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
The practice seems small initially, but looking back maybe it is just the right size. Your assigned doctor is in charge of all your treatment adjustments but in the process you see many other doctors. Everything is very clean and high tech. Sometimes the waiting time for ultrasounds is not consistent.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lauren Bishop at Columbia University.
My insurance covered almost everything. We had to pay for assisted hatching and one of the IUIs but costs were clearly stated beforehand.
Lauren Bishop

1 Embryo Freezing With Other Docs
Dr. Rudick was very data-oriented, fact-based, and direct. She helped navigate results from another clinic from travel for some monitoring, and was very detailed in her communications. I had a lot of specific questions, for which [she] was specific in responses - and again, always grounded in facts...very direct and outcome oriented. I liked that style, which may be in contrast with someone who might lean more empathetic from the beginning.
Columbia is definitely a big practice. I experienced it when we first froze embyros and experienced it again now - it's a machine. Not really personal, but efficient and things move quickly. The team is very nice but again, very New York...I learned that peanut oil is a common part of progesterone tablets, and even though I am allergic to peanuts, was originally prescribed a version that did ultimately have peanut oil. I notified the team though who immediately called in an order to a compounding pharmacy that does a peanut-oil free version
How was your experience with Briana Rudick at Columbia University?
Dr. Rudick was very data-oriented, fact-based, and direct. She helped navigate results from another clinic from travel for some monitoring, and was very detailed in her communications. I had a lot of specific questions, for which Dr. Rudick was specific in responses - and again, always grounded in facts.
Dr. Rudick is very direct and outcome oriented. I liked that style, which may be in contrast with someone who might lean more empathetic from the beginning.
Dr. Rudick and her team were very detailed and communicative about my specific questions, especially with a lot of work travel and moving states in the middle of treatment.
I used frozen embryos that I had frozen at Columbia Fertility years earlier with Dr. Grossman-Becht.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Julissa)
The entire team was great. I think only one time I had to follow up on something from a weekend visit, but that was pretty minor - the team was always proactive and quick with communicating with me.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
I believe insurance covered all of the transfer costs. When we initially froze embryos, I believe we did have to pay for PGS testing and a co-pay on some of the treatments. We've paid for embryo and sperm storage out of pocket.
I think Columbia just does eSET.
What specific things went wrong at Columbia University?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Columbia University.
Relatively minor but I learned that peanut oil is a common part of progesterone tablets, and even though I am allergic to peanuts, was originally prescribed a version that did ultimately have peanut oil. I notified the team though who immediately called in an order to a compounding pharmacy that does a peanut-oil free version

2023, Unknown Success
[Dr. Williams] is very candid with probabilities of success with each procedure, but he will think outside the box...He is very busy, but I admire all of what he does as chief of the department and researcher, so I rely more on communication with the nurses...He did not have to, but recided yo personally do my embryo transfer. His bedside manner is outstanding and warm. I suffer from the effects of age and PCOS, and even with these diagnoses, he is open and respects patients' true choices in their hearts
Great and timely sending out of requisitions [at Columbia University]. One time I was not told when my next monitoring date had to be, so I couldn't get an outside monitoring appointment in time. Howev,other than that they are very professional and clear and rely a lot on email. Before starting an IVF cycle there and before paying for the cucle, it is extremely hard to ask questions or clarify details about the cycle. Be prepared to have to be persistent
How was your experience with Zev Williams at Columbia University?
He is extremely warm and motivated to help patients exactly in the way theyvdream yo become parents. He is very candid with probabilities of success with each procedure, but he will think outside the box always to make your dreams come true. Fertility is a very personal and emotional journey and he respects that while providing non-judgmental, world-class care. He is very busy, but I admire all of what he does as chief of the department and researcher, so I rely more on communication with the nurses knowing he is out there trying to make Fertility outcomes better for patients!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Zev Williams at Columbia University?
Be prepared for the best Fertility doctor there is! Be patient with the communication part as he is busy- you won't regret it.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Zev Williams at Columbia University?
He is incredibly compassionate, and motivated to think outside the box because my results really matter to him. He did not have to, but recided yo personally do my embryo transfer. His bedside manner is outstanding and warm. I suffer from the effects of age and PCOS, and even with these diagnoses, he is open and respects patients' true choices in their hearts... to become parents with their own egg and sperm. He is extremely well educated and knowledgeable, but also spiritually connected somehow.
Describe the protocols Zev Williams used in your cycles at Columbia University and their degree of success.
Letrozole and low dose gonal F/menopur- did not take advantage of the still large egg reserve I have! So we changed it do higher doses of Gonal F and Menopur with Cetrotide as I am at risk of OHSS ++
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Laura Lodico)
Very efficient and on top of my care. I would have just preferred to talk to her on the phone a bit more. But there was a sense of pressure offloaded (I did not need to jump out of work to answer calls!) with the email communication!
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Great and timely sending out of requisitions. One time I was not told when my next monitoring date had to be, so I couldn't get an outside monitoring appointment in time. Howev,other than that they are very professional and clear and rely a lot on email. Before starting an IVF cycle there and before paying for the cucle, it is extremely hard to ask questions or clarify details about the cycle. Be prepared to have to be persistent and call the admin person and the nurse to e things set up time for day 1.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Zev Williams at Columbia University.
10000usd
Describe Zev Williams's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Columbia University.
He did not push for eset because day 3 transfers would probably be more fruitful at my age, and day 3 embryos can't be tested.
Zev Williams

2022 - 2023, Successful
Dr. Brady was just the type of doctor that I needed during this journey. She was always kind, calm, and empathetic towards my struggles and needs as a patient. Dr. Brady patiently answered each and every question and made me feel seen, heard, and validated my feelings...After the genetic testing of my first cycle showed that the embryo quality was poor, [she] adjusted my medication for my 2nd cycle. After my embryo transfer, [she] monitored my bloodwork carefully and increased my thyroid medication.
Between the front desk, the phlebotomist, the nurses, and all the doctors at Columbia have created a safe and positive experience during my visits. I am grateful for everyone's kindness, empathy, and patience...Angela [a nurse] was helpful and kind throughout the process to help coordinate my treatment. She communicated via email in a timely manner and answered all my questions thoroughly.
How was your experience with Paula Brady at Columbia University?
Dr. Brady was just the type of doctor that I needed during this journey. She was always kind, calm, and empathetic towards my struggles and needs as a patient. Dr. Brady patiently answered each and every question and made me feel seen, heard, and validated my feelings. I'm thankful to have her as a doctor during a crucial period of my fertility journey.
Dr. Brady will answer any questions that you have so I would not hesitate to ask anything even if you think it seems silly or trivial. She gives you a peace of mind that puts you at ease.
After the genetic testing of my first cycle showed that the embryo quality was poor, Dr. Brady adjusted my medication for my 2nd cycle. After my embryo transfer, Dr. Brady monitored my bloodwork carefully and increased my thyroid medication.
Angela was helpful and kind throughout the process to help coordinate my treatment. She communicated via email in a timely manner and answered all my questions thoroughly.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Between the front desk, the phlebotomist, the nurses, and all the doctors at Columbia have created a safe and positive experience during my visits. I am grateful for everyone's kindness, empathy, and patience. As a patient, it's important to advocate for your needs and not be afraid to ask questions. At Columbia, I was able to comfortably do that and feel heard. The process can be overwhelming and there is a lot of information to process and remember but the staff has always been willing to help.
Fortunately, most of the cost of my care was covered by my health insurance. However, the genetic testing and embryo preservation were not. For my first cycle, I used my savings to pay for the genetic testing and embryo preservation. However, for the second cycle, I worked with the clinic to have a payment plan.

2019 - 2023, Successful
Dr. K' has the ability to listen attentively, address my concerns, and tailor a personalized treatment plan significantly contributed to the positive experience (i.e when to switch from IUI to IVF, or how to adjust the treatment for better results between retrievals/transfers)...Her kindness, empathy, and understanding made an emotional and challenging process feel more manageable. Her ability to combine medical expertise with genuine compassion is a rare gift
Clinic [at Columbia University] is beautiful, great location (close to all subways), inviting and clean. Both myself and my husband felt very comfortable and safe knowing we are under the care of the staff. Scheduling was easy and appointments were on time...I was 31 years old at the time with no diagnosed issues (except PCOS), so the approach was 1 embryo per transfer...Columbia's team and facilities are top notch.
How was your experience with Sinem Karipcin at Columbia University?
From the moment I stepped into the clinic, I felt reassured and supported, and that feeling persisted throughout both processes (successful IUI in 2020 and successful IVF in 2023). Dr. K' has the ability to listen attentively, address my concerns, and tailor a personalized treatment plan significantly contributed to the positive experience (i.e when to switch from IUI to IVF, or how to adjust the treatment for better results between retrievals/transfers).
Don't be afraid to ask Dr. K anything.
I wanted to take a moment to express my heartfelt gratitude for Dr K's (and her amazing team) exceptional care and support during my IUI/IVF journey which resulted in 2 beautiful daughters (1 IUI + 1 IVF). Her expertise and guidance were invaluable, but it was her compassionate approach that truly made a profound difference. Throughout the ups and downs of fertility treatment and the joyous arrival of our babies, she treated me not just as a patient, but as a human being. Her kindness, empathy, and understanding made an emotional and challenging process feel more manageable. Her ability to combine medical expertise with genuine compassion is a rare gift. Highly recommended for anyone facing the journey.
Baby 1: Diagnosis- PCOS Treatment- IUI Result - 1st IUI worked Baby 2: Diagnosis- Unexplained fertility (PCOS cycle was corrected following baby 1) Treatment- 1. Started with 3 unsuccessful IUI cycles. 2. First egg retrieval resulted in 3 embryos (1 good , 2 mosaic). 1 failed transfer 3. Second egg retrieval resulted in 8 embryos (5 good ,2 mosaic, 1 PGT positive) followed by a successful transfer. Note: Between 1st and 2nd eggs retrieval, Dr K adjusted the treatment which resulted in many more good embryos.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Sam and Kimberly)
Columbia's team and facilities are top notch.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Clinic is beautiful, great location (close to all subways), inviting and clean. Both myself and my husband felt very comfortable and safe knowing we are under the care of the staff. Scheduling was easy and appointments were on time (this is not a given).
There is a flat cost for each retrieval if you do PGT-A and a per embryo cost for PGT-A paid to a 3rd party. Insurance covered everything else.

2023, Successful
I received timely responses via email from [Dr. Karipcin] and her care team...As a patient with severe endometriosis, the doctor suggested daily dosage of 225iu Gonal F and 1 powder vial of Menopur to stimulate eggs during embryo freeze all cycle. This resulted in 4 embryos making it to blast but only two embryos had a PGT tested normal result. For my embryo transfer cycle, the only fertility treatment used was daily estradiol and progesterone shots. This transfer resulted in my first current pregnancy.
The clinic [at Columbia University] is very nice and compassionate to their patients. I love the clean facility and advanced technology that is used for fertility treatment, pregnancy scans, and organized manner in how the monitoring appointments are put together. The only weakness is not having a centralized user friendly portal to quickly view your own medical reports, ultrasounds, and bloodwork results. There is only a portal patients can use to schedule your appointments.
How was your experience with Sinem Karipcin at Columbia University?
Dr. Sinem Karipcin was a great choice for my fertility journey. I was referred to Dr. Karipcin by my regular gynecologist. She listened to all my concerns and answered all important questions that I had during my egg retrieval and embryo transfer procedures. I respected the compassion she shown to my husband and I during the office visits. I received timely responses via email from the doctor and her care team. Medications were sent to my pharmacy on time without any issues. I liked that she was caring and understanding of my fertility issues and suggested appropriate protocols to help me get pregnant. I felt comfortable with Dr. Karipcin as her patient.
Be patient through the entire process as you work side by side with Sinem Karipcin in your fertility journey. Share as many questions and concerns as possible. Make sure you have complete understanding of her recommended fertility treatment and protocols.
Dr. Karipcin was very helpful and communicative throughout my entire IVF egg retrieval process and transfer procedures. I was treated with great care and received personalized treatment virtually and in person.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Columbia University.
Nursing staff were very respectful and kind throughout my IVF frozen embryo cycle and embryo transfer procedures. The monitoring appointments were on time and I was seen right away without any delays in schedule. Following the office visits, communication was given via emails with instructions of "next steps" after every appointment. Staff communicated bloodwork results in a timely manner. The only negative comment I wanted to share is relating to the staff that is responsible for blood draws during the monitoring appointments. I had an issue with one staff who was doing a terrible and painful job drawing my blood every time I went. I didn't like that some staff do not take their time to find appropriate vein locations. Additional training for blood draws and training staff to not use an old injection site to keep drawing blood is appropriate.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
The clinic is very nice and compassionate to their patients. I love the clean facility and advanced technology that is used for fertility treatment, pregnancy scans, and organized manner in how the monitoring appointments are put together. The only weakness is not having a centralized user friendly portal to quickly view your own medical reports, ultrasounds, and bloodwork results. There is only a portal patients can use to schedule your appointments.
Monitoring appointments were very quick and easy to schedule. The blood draws were very painful depending on the staff who was performing it. Your name is called pretty quickly and the appointments were always 30 minutes or less.
All costs for frozen embryo IVF cycle was paid out of pocket 12k procedure and 3k for medications. The cost for the embryo transfer consisted was close to 3k for the entire process.
My FET cycle consisted of a single embryo transfer with estradiol and progesterone shots. My fully medicated protocol led to a successful transfer with a positive pregnancy test.

Egg Freezing With Other Docs
[Columbia University] Glow- friendly staff Grow- sometimes when patients were being called during morning monitoring, people who arrived and checked in first were skipped...It can be difficult for patients sitting on the opposite end because of the music and names are not being said loud enough...Dr Robles is an amazing practitioner! He took time to be present in every appointment including early ultrasounds in the beginning of my IVF cycle. I was struck by the fiercely warm smile he greeted me with during each appointment. It was disarming and calming which is exactly what I needed. Other things that stand out is he called me by first name, explained all aspects of my treatment in great details and showed genuine care in regards to my questions and concerns. Lastly, he made himself available for questions via email and always provided quick responses.
How was your experience with Alex Robles at Columbia University?
Dr Robles is an amazing practitioner! He took time to be present in every appointment including early ultrasounds in the beginning of my IVF cycle. I was struck by the fiercely warm smile he greeted me with during each appointment. It was disarming and calming which is exactly what I needed. Other things that stand out is he called me by first name, explained all aspects of my treatment in great details and showed genuine care in regards to my questions and concerns. Lastly, he made himself available for questions via email and always provided quick responses. Dr. Robles’ knowledge, precision for details and guidance through the IVF process were all instrumental in my successful pregnancy (and it happened on my first IVF cycle and first single embryo transfer). As a person slightly over 40, this is just remarkable results! I truly thank God for Dr. Robles!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Alex Robles at Columbia University?
Don’t be afraid to ask questions. Dr. Robles loves questions!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Alex Robles at Columbia University?
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Haley Roche)
Hayley Roche and Sophie Clarke are a dynamic duo! They both took great care of me with treatment and appointment updates as well as answering any questions I had. Truly appreciate them!
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Glow- friendly staff Grow- sometimes when patients were being called during morning monitoring, people who arrived and checked in first were skipped. I always tried to make sure I sat in the area near the water dispenser when names were called. It can be difficult for patients sitting on the opposite end because of the music and names are not being said loud enough.
Alex Robles