LGBTQ+ Competent Care
LGBTQ+ Competent Care

Based on reviews from the LGBTQ+ community.

100 Walnut Ave., Suite 104
Teaneck
400 Frank W Burr Blvd. Glenpointe, Suite 145
Teaneck, NJ 07666

2017 - 2022, Successful
I felt extremely supported every step of the way, and felt as though she [Dr. Sarah C. Hessler] was experiencing my heartache with me. I feel like more than just a number, and when we talk I feel like I’m her only patient. She is extremely dedicated...We had no trouble with our first transfer in 2019, so when we went back in 2021 to try again we didn’t expect the outcome we got.
Overall I absolutely love them [Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science]. Until recently I didn’t have anything negative to say. With my last 2 cycles failing I just wish my patient portal wasn’t updated until after a phone call from the clinic. It’s difficult to get certain news online...I can’t say enough good things about [nurse] Jen. Look forward to talking with her, knowing all of my questions (no matter how many I come up with) will be answered. I never feel forgotten about
How was your experience with Sarah C. Hessler at New Jersey Fertility Clinics (CCRM/IRMS Facilities)?
We had no trouble with our first transfer in 2019, so when we went back in 2021 to try again we didn’t expect the outcome we got. I felt extremely supported every step of the way, and felt as though she was experiencing my heartache with me. I feel like more than just a number, and when we talk I feel like I’m her only patient. She is extremely dedicated.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sarah C. Hessler at New Jersey Fertility Clinics (CCRM/IRMS Facilities)?
To make sure you’re ready for whatever information comes your way. She delivers news delicately but matter of fact
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sarah C. Hessler at New Jersey Fertility Clinics (CCRM/IRMS Facilities)?
She shared in my excitement, and in my heartache. I knew she was on my side and doing anything she could for the outcomes we wanted.
Describe the protocols Sarah C. Hessler used in your cycles at New Jersey Fertility Clinics (CCRM/IRMS Facilities) and their degree of success.
We did estrogen 2mg twice daily for 4 days then 3x daily through and past transfer, and started progesterone 5 days before transfer
Describe your experience with your nurse at New Jersey Fertility Clinics (CCRM/IRMS Facilities). (Assigned nurse: Jen)
I can’t say enough good things about Jen. Look forward to talking with her, knowing all of my questions (no matter how many I come up with) will be answered. I never feel forgotten about
Describe your experience with New Jersey Fertility Clinics (CCRM/IRMS Facilities).
Overall I absolutely love them. Until recently I didn’t have anything negative to say. With my last 2 cycles failing I just wish my patient portal wasn’t updated until after a phone call from the clinic. It’s difficult to get certain news online.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sarah C. Hessler at New Jersey Fertility Clinics (CCRM/IRMS Facilities).
Retrieval, 1 transfer and 1 year of embryo storage was I think 15k Each transfer after has been about 3600 including the fee from the surgicenter where the transfer takes place
Describe Sarah C. Hessler's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at New Jersey Fertility Clinics (CCRM/IRMS Facilities).
Due to my age we opted for set, after 2 unsuccessful transfers she gave me the option to transfer 2 embryos (1 was tested and the other was not) but we decided together it was best to transfer just 1

2020, Unsuccessful
Dr. Hessler was very personal and went out of her way to answer all questions and address concerns that I had. Any time she spoke to me, there was never a question of her knowing me or my situation...I have a high BMI, and while there were limitations with the clinic itself for IVF, she was willing to work with me to undergo an IUI. She encouraged healthy eating, and while I would have had to lose weight to undergo IVF, she otherwise did not make this about my weight.
Nursing staff [at IRMS] are very friendly, supportive, and communicate instructions very clearly...Communication was very clear, and plan for treatment laid out before starting. I felt my process was monitored closely, and I felt treated with respect. The biggest downfall is that they have a BMI cutoff for IVF. The rationale is due to the anesthesia, from what I recall...It’s actually been shown that women with high BMI’s take longer to get pregnant, and delays in treatment contribute to this.
Dr. Hessler is fantastic. She is very attentive to all questions and concerns. She communicates expectations very clearly, and she respected my choices while giving me clear guidance on the dangers when dealing with what was a confirmed ectopic pregnancy. I have a high BMI, and while there were limitations with the clinic itself for IVF, she was willing to work with me to undergo an IUI. She encouraged healthy eating, and while I would have had to lose weight to undergo IVF, she otherwise did not make this about my weight. I felt she followed all the steps as she would with any other patient. I would have loved to do IVF there as well, and I continue with my monitoring for an outside clinic.
Be willing to ask questions. She will readily answer in a way that is easy to understand.
I had a lot of testing already. She started with a HSG to make sure my tubes were clear, and we proceeded with IUI. She had said IVF would be my best option, and she supported my choice to pursue IVF elsewhere, as I was not able to do so at IRMS.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Jersey Fertility Clinics (CCRM/IRMS Facilities).
Nursing staff are very friendly, supportive, and communicate instructions very clearly.
I saw Dr. Hessler at the Clark office (and I think she is fantastic). My IUI was done by other doctors. Most monitoring was through Clark as well. Communication was very clear, and plan for treatment laid out before starting. I felt my process was monitored closely, and I felt treated with respect. The biggest downfall is that they have a BMI cutoff for IVF. The rationale is due to the anesthesia, from what I recall. Yet, I’m able to do IVF elsewhere with anesthesia. No issues whatsoever. They should revisit this decision, as not all providers exclude. It’s actually been shown that women with high BMI’s take longer to get pregnant, and delays in treatment contribute to this.
My insurance covered treatments, so I mainly paid copays.
Clark

If you would like her [Dr. Hessler] to do the procedures she might be able to schedule it so that she is the covering DR when the time comes...has made herself available by phone/email even on days off if need be...My husband and i wanted to start conservatively, so we first started tracking my ovulation with the drs office, we later started Femara and Ovidrel, and moved onto two double IUIs with Femara and Ovidrel. We are now saving for IVF...With male factor and PCOS i think she explained our situation to us very clearly. I do wish i got to touch base with her before the cycle to know what was ahead when we switched from Ovulation tracking to IUI. It was hard to know what was next if i hadn't gone out of my way to educate myself or made a point to ask the nurse. With the deadlines in each treatment i could have missed a cycle.
Im happy driving further to the Clark office [of Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science Barnabas] because they are so on top of everything, they know me by name, and they are clear with their directions and answers no matter how often i ask questions...Alicia is the best admin i think i have every come into contact with. She goes out of her way to answer all your questions as quickly as possible and it seems like your the only patient in the office ( your not its a huge office lol). The nursing staff is amazing, they are available to you via phone and email and answer any and all questions you have as quickly as they can. The phlebotomists at this office could be better. While theyre incredibly nice they often cant find my vein and im left with bruises.
Dr. Hessler did a great job breaking down our diagnosis and plan for treatment. While it may have taken a while to talk to her on the phone at times we still got through when we needed to. With male factor and PCOS i think she explained our situation to us very clearly. I do wish i got to touch base with her before the cycle to know what was ahead when we switched from Ovulation tracking to IUI. It was hard to know what was next if i hadn't gone out of my way to educate myself or made a point to ask the nurse. With the deadlines in each treatment i could have missed a cycle.
Ask questions, reach out to her if your not clear on something. She will take the time to walk you through it. If you would like her to do the procedures she might be able to schedule it so that she is the covering DR when the time comes.
While the doctors rotate in this large clinic, i spent most of my time in the clark office where i know everyone by name and they know mine. Dr. Hessler has made herself available by phone/email even on days off if need be.
Describe your experience with your nurse at New Jersey Fertility Clinics (CCRM/IRMS Facilities). (Assigned nurse: Jennifer G.)
When i picked the office i knew that i would be dealing with the nurse and staff more than the Dr. So i went out of my way to look for reviews that spoke of the overall office. Im happy driving further to the Clark office because they are so on top of everything, they know me by name, and they are clear with their directions and answers no matter how often i ask questions.
Honestly my costs are high but that is because of my health insurance. Im sure the clinics prices are higher because of its location as my sister paid less for IUI in NC .
I believe this clinic does Single Embryo Transfers.

2 Egg Freezing With Other Docs
Dr. Hessler has great bedside manner and her nurse Jennifer Giordano is truly out of this world fantastic!...I felt fully heard and listened to. She took her time walking me through her recommendations, I never felt rushed while in her presence. She has a great sense of humor and great disposition overall....Dr. Hessler added Prednisone, Lovenox, baby aspirin and ultimately Neupogen to the protocol pre-transfer and into the pregnancy. So far, I am almost 4 weeks and counting.
Monitoring at IRMS Clark is a well oiled machine. They really do get patients in and out in a timely manner regardless of how busy they get.... IRMS' strengths are the multiple locations, the efficiency of the staff (they get you in and out), that all of the doctors are women and they run a well oiled machine in terms of communication, appointments, etc. They're spread throughout so most people can find a location that works for them and you can visit different locations based on schedule changes if needed.
As previously discussed, Dr. Hessler has great bedside manner, I felt fully heard and listened to. She took her time walking me through her recommendations, I never felt rushed while in her presence. She has a great sense of humor and great disposition overall.
Feel free and empowered to ask your questions. If you don't understand something ask the questions. She's also great via email as well.
I met with Dr. Hessler after previously working with Serena Chen. I wanted a difference experience and felt like Dr. Hessler was more empathetic in her dealings with me whereas Dr. Chen was more matter of fact. I was also armed with a second opinion so I came into the conversation better prepared to discuss what I thought was at play with prior unsuccessful cycles. Dr. Hessler has great bedside manner and her nurse Jennifer Giordano is truly out of this world fantastic! She was the big difference maker for me even beyond Dr. Hessler because there is simply more contact with the nursing staff than even the doctors.
I'd gotten a second opinion which diagnosed endometriosis, PCOS and insulin-resistance. Per the protocol recommended by the second opinion, Dr. Hessler added Prednisone, Lovenox, baby aspirin and ultimately Neupogen to the protocol pre-transfer and into the pregnancy. So far, I am almost 4 weeks and counting.
Describe your experience with your nurse at New Jersey Fertility Clinics (CCRM/IRMS Facilities). (Assigned nurse: Jennifer Giordano)
Jennifer Giordano is the best nurse I have ever encountered in my life. She goes above and beyond for her patients, is incredibly responsive, takes care of the big and small details and follow-ups were always on point. She is the distinguishing factor for the IRMS experience in my opinion. It was an absolute pleasure interacting and engaging with her and she made the experience so much smoother than it would've been but for her diligence and attention to detail.
IRMS' strengths are the multiple locations, the efficiency of the staff (they get you in and out), that all of the doctors are women and they run a well oiled machine in terms of communication, appointments, etc. They're spread throughout so most people can find a location that works for them and you can visit different locations based on schedule changes if needed. This was particularly helpful in the monitoring phases.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at New Jersey Fertility Clinics (CCRM/IRMS Facilities).
Insurance covered the bulk of the cycles but I had my deductible ($2700) and co-insurance. For each cycle, I paid btwn 3000-4000 out of pocket for genetic testing, deductible and co-insurance payments.
IRMS strongly favors single transfers advising that multiple embryo transfer increased the risk of failure and complications. I was in agreement that the goal was to have a safe and successful pregnancy and opted for single embryo transfer.

2017 - 2019, Successful
Dr. Hessler looks me in the eyes, shows compassion and will tell you everything that’s going on as it’s happening. She explains it all, and in such a way that you don’t feel broken about yourself afterward... We haven’t started our cycle yet (when I met with her for the first time it was to determine the issue, and then correcting it with surgery)....I had asked about multiple embryo transfer, but dr. Hessler explained to us that due to my age (27) that she believed we would have a successful cycle using just one embryo and that ultimately it is safer for me and for our potential baby.
You’re comfortable when you walk in [Institute for Repro Med & Science], I think that’s all you can ask for in this type of environment. It doesn’t feel like you’re in a clinic. I haven’t come across anything I would view as a weakness....[Cost of Treatment] Estimated 14,000 to start $1000 retrieval $600 anesthesia $1000 transfer plus cost of meds... I email constantly and always get a response very quickly as if I was their only patient....Dr. Hessler looks me in the eyes, shows compassion and will tell you everything that’s going on as it’s happening.
I was so afraid to step foot into that office for the first time not knowing what to expect. I left with my heart feeling full of possibility. I know that she is going to do everything to make me a mom, she is such a kind woman, and a compassionate doctor. I am grateful that she is my first experience with infertility. Couldn’t ask for better
To walk in knowing you’re going to be getting the best treatment. Skepticism isn’t needed because she’s instantly trustworthy
We haven’t started our cycle yet (when I met with her for the first time it was to determine the issue, and then correcting it with surgery). Then my husband and I were going to see her again after our wedding. We were scheduled to start our first cycle on April 18, but due to insufficient funds needed to push it back to September 2019! Still saving!!
Describe your experience with your nurse at New Jersey Fertility Clinics (CCRM/IRMS Facilities). (Assigned nurse: Jenn)
You’re comfortable when you walk in, I think that’s all you can ask for in this type of environment. It doesn’t feel like you’re in a clinic. I haven’t come across anything I would view as a weakness.
LGBTQ+

LGBTQ+
Dr. Thompson is compassionate and has a great bedside manner. She was a wonderful advocate in dealing with my insurance company to cover treatments. All of the pros and cons of our procedures were given to us in a way we could easily digest. We have not conceived as of yet but will certainly stick with Dr. Thompson...Dr. Thompson decided against a fresh transfer because I was at high risk of OHSS due to the number of follicles retrieved. We ultimately had a frozen transfer cycle with the one embryo which resulted in a negative pregnancy test.
Monitoring appointments [at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas] are early from 630am-8am. Weekday monitoring is swift. Weekends take a bit longer because there is only one clinic used for all of the patients...All of the doctors in the practice are women. I've had encounters with all the doctors on staff and each one has an impeccable bedside manner. The nursing staff is friendly and I've formed great relationships with many of them. Weekend monitoring is crowded and takes some time so be prepared to wait a little.
How was your experience with Stephanie Marshall Thompson at New Jersey Fertility Clinics (CCRM/IRMS Facilities)?
Dr. Thompson is compassionate and has a great bedside manner. She was a wonderful advocate in dealing with my insurance company to cover treatments. All of the pros and cons of our procedures were given to us in a way we could easily digest. We have not conceived as of yet but will certainly stick with Dr. Thompson and the IRMS staff.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Stephanie Marshall Thompson at New Jersey Fertility Clinics (CCRM/IRMS Facilities)?
Ask any and all questions that come to mind. I would encourage you to make a list. I would also add, be patient with the process.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Stephanie Marshall Thompson at New Jersey Fertility Clinics (CCRM/IRMS Facilities)?
Dr. Thompson gave a personal touch to her treatment plan.
Describe the protocols Stephanie Marshall Thompson used in your cycles at New Jersey Fertility Clinics (CCRM/IRMS Facilities) and their degree of success.
First IVF cycle: Dr. Thompson used 300uI Gonal-F/150uI Menopur (Trigger 5000 HCG). The rationale used for this dosage was due to me only having one ovary. 19 eggs were retrieved of which only one was mature. The mature egg was fertilized using ICSI. Dr. Thompson decided against a fresh transfer because I was at high risk of OHSS due to the number of follicles retrieved. We ultimately had a frozen transfer cycle with the one embryo which resulted in a negative pregnancy test. Second IVF cycle: 225 Gonal-F/75 Menopur (Trigger 10000 HCG). Stimmed additional 2 days to increase the number of mature eggs retrieved. 11 eggs retrieved, 2 mature fertilized with ICSI. NGS testing on Day 5 embryos resulted in one genetically sound embryo for transfer. Frozen transfer cycle resulted in negative pregnancy test.
Describe your experience with your nurse at New Jersey Fertility Clinics (CCRM/IRMS Facilities). (Assigned nurse: Kim Neilley)
Kim is thorough and always great with communicating next steps.
IRMS is a wonderful practice to receive care. All of the doctors in the practice are women. I've had encounters with all the doctors on staff and each one has an impeccable bedside manner. The nursing staff is friendly and I've formed great relationships with many of them. Weekend monitoring is crowded and takes some time so be prepared to wait a little.
Monitoring appointments are early from 630am-8am. Weekday monitoring is swift. Weekends take a bit longer because there is only one clinic used for all of the patients.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Stephanie Marshall Thompson at New Jersey Fertility Clinics (CCRM/IRMS Facilities).
Most of my care was covered by insurance with the exception of ICSI and genetic testing. Those items were out of pocket. The costs associated with each are listed on their website.
Describe Stephanie Marshall Thompson's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at New Jersey Fertility Clinics (CCRM/IRMS Facilities).
i only had one embryo available each cycle so I do not have experience with her approach on multiple embryo transfer.

2014 - 2016, Successful
Dr Chen was quite busy most days, sometimes arriving a little late or cutting our visits a little short. But I believe that was due to her being the director at the facility. But she has a good knowledge base and always remained positive during the 3 years I was under her care.... he’s also available via phone or email to answer questions or concerns. There were many of times that I called her clarity and she was very helpful. But you should also know, while she’s your main doctor, you likely will not get her for your retrieval or transfer, as that’s based on the rotating schedule they have between the doctors at IRMS.
IRMS is a machine. The waiting room at the Livingston office can be intimidating as you may feel like a number until you have one on ones with your nurse/doctor. During my second retrieval, they’d updated their website to allow you to track your progress during the cycles and notated all of the information on the site regarding your progesterone, estrogen, and beta levels. It was good to have that information readily available at your fingertips.
How was your experience with Serena Chen at New Jersey Fertility Clinics (CCRM/IRMS Facilities)?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Serena Chen at New Jersey Fertility Clinics (CCRM/IRMS Facilities)?
If you can’t have a face to face meeting with Dr. Chen, know that she’s also available via phone or email to answer questions or concerns. There were many of times that I called her clarity and she was very helpful. But you should also know, while she’s your main doctor, you likely will not get her for your retrieval or transfer, as that’s based on the rotating schedule they have between the doctors at IRMS. So if you want to be seen by her exclusively, that will be tough.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Serena Chen at New Jersey Fertility Clinics (CCRM/IRMS Facilities)?
While the IRMS clinic seemed to be a machine with respect to the patients, the doctor listened to my concerns, provided recommendations that get “better” results during the second retrieval, and she remained highly positive (while I struggled to believe) that we would have a baby under her care.
Describe the protocols Serena Chen used in your cycles at New Jersey Fertility Clinics (CCRM/IRMS Facilities) and their degree of success.
My first egg retrieval yielded 9 eggs and for my age at the time that seemed low. During the next cycle, the doctor and nursers provided recommendations to possibly boost egg quality to get better results. While my injectables remained the same, I also took dhea and cq10 for a few months before my second cycle to potentially yeild better egg quality. It was also recommended that I utilize acupuncture, which I did.
The nursing staff was great! As a type A person, I needed to know the status of things at all times and they were very accommodating to my requests and needs. No question or concern was ever too small or silly.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Serena Chen at New Jersey Fertility Clinics (CCRM/IRMS Facilities).
Through the 3 IUIs, 2 egg retrieval’s, and 3 transfers, he cost was approximately $25,000 (inclusive of meds)
Serena Chen
2011 - 2012, Successful
Dr. Cekleniak is one of the most caring people I have ever met. She honestly took the time to listen to everything my husband and I were feeling. She explained every step of the process and made sure we felt comfortable with the plan of action. Anytime we had a question she answered it and made sure that understood what was going on.... She is very nurturing and care. If you are looking for an aggressive doctor who only has to be goal, she isn’t for you. She takes care of you as a whole person, emotionally and physically.
I wish that they [IRMS-Clark] opened earlier. Otherwise they were great. The staff was always friendly and everything was clean. I thought the fact that they have multiple offices was great, so depending on work it was very easy to change offices.... I was not a fan of my nurse. I felt kind of lost in the shuffle. I actually changed offices and began to go to the Livingston location to get a different nurse.
How was your experience with Natalie A. Cekleniak at New Jersey Fertility Clinics (CCRM/IRMS Facilities)?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Natalie A. Cekleniak at New Jersey Fertility Clinics (CCRM/IRMS Facilities)?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Natalie A. Cekleniak at New Jersey Fertility Clinics (CCRM/IRMS Facilities)?
The staff always addresses me by name and knew where I was in the cycle. When I had a negative pregnancy test the nurse was so supportive on the phone and always offered to have Dr. Cekleniak call me if I had any questions.
Describe the protocols Natalie A. Cekleniak used in your cycles at New Jersey Fertility Clinics (CCRM/IRMS Facilities) and their degree of success.
I did 3 Clomid IUI cycles (per my insurance); 3 Follistim IUI cycles; then got pregnant on my first IVF cycle. I used Follistim and Menopur.
Describe your experience with your nurse at New Jersey Fertility Clinics (CCRM/IRMS Facilities). (Assigned nurse: Jennifer Malinconico )
I wish that they opened earlier. Otherwise they were great. The staff was always friendly and everything was clean. I thought the fact that they have multiple offices was great, so depending on work it was very easy to change offices.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Natalie A. Cekleniak at New Jersey Fertility Clinics (CCRM/IRMS Facilities).
I had really good insurance so I had a $10 co pay for MD visits and morning monitoring. Co pay for the medications.
Describe Natalie A. Cekleniak's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at New Jersey Fertility Clinics (CCRM/IRMS Facilities).
Not applicable to my experience.
What specific things went wrong at New Jersey Fertility Clinics (CCRM/IRMS Facilities)?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at New Jersey Fertility Clinics (CCRM/IRMS Facilities).
I had lab results come in and no one called me. I had to call the office after I had them also mailed to my house from LabCorp.
Natalie A. Cekleniak
Clark

Sarah Hessler is amazing. She is very welled mannered. She takes her time with you and your spouse. She discusses everything that has to be done and every worry that is brought up. She responses quickly to me through email or her receptionist.... She understand if an appointment is missed or something came up and will adjust the treatment as necessary. I hope to be having the best results with her! Prayers for 2019
They [Institute for Repro Med & Science at Saint Barnabas] all work as a team with the patient and they take the time out for each patient. The clinic is clean and is set up to fit the patients needs. They are very organized and responsible. The clinic always calls with reminder or rescheduling and they make sure that everything is convenient for you.... Sarah Hessler looks at my case and explain very throughly what needs to be done. She is understanding if an appointment or blood work is missed.
Sarah Hessler is amazing. She is very welled mannered. She takes her time with you and your spouse. She discusses everything that has to be done and every worry that is brought up. She responses quickly to me through email or her receptionist. She is the best doctor I have seen and I can’t wait to move forward. She understand if an appointment is missed or something came up and will adjust the treatment as necessary. I hope to be having the best results with her! Prayers for 2019
Listen to what she has to say. Her opinion might make the biggest difference.
Sarah Hessler looks at my case and explain very throughly what needs to be done. She is understanding if an appointment or blood work is missed. She responds quickly and reassures you of everything. I am happy with her and I can’t wait to keep going. Prayers to iui hopefully end of year
Describe your experience with your nurse at New Jersey Fertility Clinics (CCRM/IRMS Facilities). (Assigned nurse: Jennifer)
Always calls with results and put them on portal.
They all work as a team with the patient and they take the time out for each patient. The clinic is clean and is set up to fit the patients needs. They are very organized and responsible. The clinic always calls with reminder or rescheduling and they make sure that everything is convenient for you.
For iui I only have a 30 dollar copay for each visit and ivf would cost 15000 dollars
2 Embryo Freezing With Other Docs
Dr. Keegan made me feel like I was her only patient during any consults, appointments and procedures. She was upfront with details and answered every question I had with an accurate answer that was not sugar coated (which I appreciated). Her enthusiasm is unmatched when compared to other MD's I have seen in different specialties...
There were a few mornings I showed up [at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science] for monitoring and my nurse had not entered in the appointment ahead of time. The office staff and on site nurse at all those times were phenomenal and resolved the issues within minutes...The lab techs and administrative staff were all very friendly and empathetic towards all patients. They seemed to have good repoir with all patients
How was your experience with Debbra A. Keegan at New Jersey Fertility Clinics (CCRM/IRMS Facilities)?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Debbra A. Keegan at New Jersey Fertility Clinics (CCRM/IRMS Facilities)?
Write down questions you have ahead of time that you want to be sure are answered.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Debbra A. Keegan at New Jersey Fertility Clinics (CCRM/IRMS Facilities)?
Dr. Keegan made me feel like I was her only patient during all consults, phone calls and procedures. When communicating with my nurse, I felt more like a number
Describe your experience with your nurse at New Jersey Fertility Clinics (CCRM/IRMS Facilities). (Assigned nurse: Jenn M)
My nurse was very sweet and compassionate, just was unorganized at times during phone calls. She was also very quick during many phone calls which made me feel like a number
There were a few mornings I showed up for monitoring and my nurse had not entered in the appointment ahead of time. The office staff and on site nurse at all those times were phenomenal and resolved the issues within minutes.
Debbra A. Keegan
Clark

She [Dr. Hessler] wrote/drew notes of everything we discussed and made a copy so we can review and disseminate at home. She was always honest and funny. She took the edge off of a tense situation. I was well aware of my chances and outcomes... Everything was explained in a considerable and easy to understand manor. She was always available for questions and the staff was wonderful
Early morning monitor hours so I was never late to work. The main weekend offices [at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science] were easily accessible. The nurses were always encouraging and gentle. My instructions were always available before 3 pm... Everything was explained in a considerable and easy to understand manor. She was always available for questions and the staff was wonderful
She wrote/drew notes of everything we discussed and made a copy so we can review and disseminate at home. She was always honest and funny. She took the edge off of a tense situation. I was well aware of my chances and outcomes
Have a sense of humor
Gonal F and Menopur. Cetrotide and then Novarel as the trigger shot
Early morning monitor hours so I was never late to work. The main weekend offices were easily accessible. The nurses were always encouraging and gentle. My instructions were always available before 3 pm

2022, Successful
I found that the [Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science] Clark location better met my needs. I had a bad experience with the Livingston location, as I had to work with another physician, which made the process longer and cost me unnecessary money. However, I researched and discovered Dr. Sarah C. Hessler at the clinic. She was a godsend as she quickly addressed my health concerns and resolved the issue.
I strongly endorse Dr. Sarah C. Hessler for her exceptional abilities in assisting couples with conception. Her knowledge and direct approach are truly impressive. With just one treatment, she demonstrated her expertise by successfully helping us conceive, which speaks volumes about her capabilities. I have seen numerous physicians in the past, but Dr. Hessler was able to resolve our issue rapidly and effectively. We will be forever grateful for her and her aid in bringing a gorgeous and healthy baby girl into our lives. Her team was also very caring and helpful throughout the process.
To ensure effective communication, it is important to maintain trust and keep in contact with Dr. Hessler.
I found that the Clark location better met my needs. I had a bad experience with the Livingston location, as I had to work with another physician, which made the process longer and cost me unnecessary money. However, I researched and discovered Dr. Sarah C. Hessler at the clinic. She was a godsend as she quickly addressed my health concerns and resolved the issue.
With health insurance my co-pays were about 8,000 dollars.

2018 - 2019, Consult
She [Dr. Hessler] was very friendly and easy to talk to. I was happy with her care, but it is a large clinic so I never had her doing any of my actual procedures. I also was not happy with the way that the news of my miscarriage was delivered to me. ... When i miscarried, I found out through the patient portal. I then could not get in touch with a nurse or doctor for 3 hours and the doctor still did not contact me for a few days. It was very upsetting and I did not understand what was happening.
In Clark it [monitoring appointments] was very easy. When I had to go to Livingston on the weekends, it was more hectic and annoying. ... Too big, don't hear from or see the actual doctor a lot. Nurses are very friendly and helpful and always greeted you by name and knew each patient. ... When i miscarried, I found out through the patient portal. I then could not get in touch with a nurse or doctor for 3 hours and the doctor still did not contact me for a few days.
She was very friendly and easy to talk to. I was happy with her care, but it is a large clinic so I never had her doing any of my actual procedures. I also was not happy with the way that the news of my miscarriage was delivered to me.
Be prepared for things to change.
Did 3 IUIs with letrozole, followed by 1 with Gonal-F and then IVF with Gonal-F and Menopur. It felts like every step of the way a new hurdle was discovered which was very frustrating.
They were great!
Too big, don't hear from or see the actual doctor a lot. Nurses are very friendly and helpful and always greeted you by name and knew each patient. Why does this have to be 200 characters? I am literally writing just to take up characters to go to the next question. I think this character limit is stupid.
In Clark it was very easy. When I had to go to Livingston on the weekends, it was more hectic and annoying.
$12,000 for IVF with $1,000 on day of retrieval and $600 on day of transfer. IUIs were $600

2021, Successful
Dr Hessler knew me and my history each time we spoke. She evaluated my past and present medical records to discuss different treatment plans and options...She always made herself available to answer all of my concerns and questions whether it was via email or phone. And most importantly, she was honest with the risks in my treatment plan...
The clinic [Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science] has multiple locations but I only traveled to the Clark location and the surgical center in Livingston. Every person I dealt created a positive environment and treated me kindly. Everyone took their time to explain next steps and what I was about to experience before it happened...She [nurse Jen] was always on top of my treatment plan. She also answered every question that I had...
Dr. Hessler treated me with care and compassion. She always made herself available to answer all of my concerns and questions whether it was via email or phone. And most importantly, she was honest with the risks in my treatment plan.
Be prepared with all of your questions and concerns.
Jen is amazing! I’m a very type A personality and her organizational skills spoke to my heart. She was always on top of my treatment plan. She also answered every question that I had
The clinic has multiple locations but I only traveled to the Clark location and the surgical center in Livingston. Every person I dealt created a positive environment and treated me kindly. Everyone took their time to explain next steps and what I was about to experience before it happened.
Clark
Dr. Mann and her staff made my wife and I feel like we were a team and a family. She always took time to answer questions, make sure we knew what was going on, express her professional opinions, and provide encouragement and positivity...was incredible during the whole IVF process. She always took time to answer questions, clarify things, explain the process and next steps, and was always a source of love, compassion, and encouragement even during the tough times.
Denise nurse [at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas] treated my wife and I like family. She always took time to answer questions and was a compassionate, positive, and loving person...Lovely atmosphere and great staff . As patients, staff made you feel like you were part of a team and a family. I absolutely would recommend clinic and Dr. Mann to anyone without hesitation or reservation...
How was your experience with Jessica Salas Mann at New Jersey Fertility Clinics (CCRM/IRMS Facilities)?
Dr. Mann was incredible during the whole IVF process. She always took time to answer questions, clarify things, explain the process and next steps, and was always a source of love, compassion, and encouragement even during the tough times.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jessica Salas Mann at New Jersey Fertility Clinics (CCRM/IRMS Facilities)?
Don’t hesitate to Ask questions and make sure you have an understanding of what is going on. You will absolutely love her.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jessica Salas Mann at New Jersey Fertility Clinics (CCRM/IRMS Facilities)?
Describe the protocols Jessica Salas Mann used in your cycles at New Jersey Fertility Clinics (CCRM/IRMS Facilities) and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at New Jersey Fertility Clinics (CCRM/IRMS Facilities). (Assigned nurse: Denise N)
Denise treated my wife and I like family. She always took time to answer questions and was a compassionate, positive, and loving person.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jessica Salas Mann at New Jersey Fertility Clinics (CCRM/IRMS Facilities).
Not sure
Describe Jessica Salas Mann's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at New Jersey Fertility Clinics (CCRM/IRMS Facilities).
Jessica Salas Mann
Clark

If you’re okay with just going along and not having much communication, [Dr. Stephanie Thompson will] be a fine choice. You have to advocate for yourself and ask questions. She’s not going to take the initiative, you have to...While in the office with her she was kind and sympathetic but we only saw her maybe 3 times over the course of 9 months...We once had the first appointment of the day and she walked into the clinic 45 minutes after our appointment started...When speaking after a failed transfer the Dr clearly hadn’t even reviewed my chart— suggesting we do a fresh transfer when the whole reason we were there was because we needed to do PGS testing and thus, a frozen cycle
I don’t know that we were given any rationale, just instructions [at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas]. We did Gonal-F, Ganirelix, and Menopur leading up...I went to the pharmacy to pick these up and there were two other prescriptions waiting — more doxycline and medrol. Not once had anyone noted to me that these would be part of the protocol. I had to call to ask what they were for...There was no education other than some videos they sent and it was tough to reach anyone to ask questions. They don’t assign you a specific nurse so no one really knows you or your case.
She was kind when we actually interacted with her, but we barely interacted with her. We were a ‘textbook case’ so I think she just gave very standard treatment. It didn’t work and she didn’t note any suggestions she’d change for the next time. Our appointments were always less than 20 minutes and while my Questions were usually always answered, I just didn’t feel confident and happy leaving the appointments.
If you’re okay with just going along and not having much communication, she’ll be a fine choice. You have to advocate for yourself and ask questions. She’s not going to take the initiative, you have to.
While in the office with her she was kind and sympathetic but we only saw her maybe 3 times over the course of 9 months. They wouldn’t allow phone conversations unless she initiated it, even just to ask questions about change in treatment, they were pushing for an appointment. We once had the first appointment of the day and she walked into the clinic 45 minutes after our appointment started. I wasn’t assigned one particular nurse, and while many (but not all— more on that later) were very kind, no one knew who I was. When speaking after a failed transfer the Dr clearly hadn’t even reviewed my chart— suggesting we do a fresh transfer when the whole reason we were there was because we needed to do PGS testing and thus, a frozen cycle. Even when I went for morning monitoring, many days a week for weeks in a row, no one bothered to remember my name or smile and say hi. The ultrasound techs could’ve been working on a cadaver, they barely even acknowledged me.
I don’t know that we were given any rationale, just instructions. We did Gonal-F, Ganirelix, and Menopur leading up. It was lower dosage as I had a high-ish AMH. My husband was on doxycycline before retrieval and I was on it after. Before transfer I was on estrace for many days, and then PIO injections for a few weeks before and after transfer. I went to the pharmacy to pick these up and there were two other prescriptions waiting — more doxycline and medrol. Not once had anyone noted to me that these would be part of the protocol. I had to call to ask what they were for.
The main nurse in the Hoboken Office (Kim) is not kind. Anytime I asked her a question she acted as though I was an idiot or it was annoying. There was no education other than some videos they sent and it was tough to reach anyone to ask questions. They don’t assign you a specific nurse so no one really knows you or your case. Paulina was kinder and more helpful, though hard to get a hold of at times. The on call nurses (Jen, Jen, and Aly) and the OR nurse Kathy that I spoke to were GREAT! They were the most pleasant part of this clinic. There’s just very little information or education given.
It’s dirty and just feels run down. The experience of going for morning monitoring is awful. The ultrasound staff honestly don’t act like you’re a human, give you no info about what’s happening, and barely mumble hello when they walk in. The Hoboken office is gross. The front desk staff is very kind and helpful, at least. Going to Livingston is a pain and they’re the only spot open on weekends and it’s always PACKED. The surgery center is fine, but also very run down. Nothing about it gave me a great feeling. I did outside monitoring while with family a few times and felt much more comfortable at that clinic than I did at my own.
THE WORST. Everyone’s just cranky and rude and it doesn’t seem organized. My absolute least favorite part of this experience. The monitoring staff in Hoboken and Jersey City both were just cold and unpleasant.
Insurance luckily covered most of my care.
Hoboken

She [Dr. Stephanie Thompson] was kind and sympathetic, but her treatment was her standard treatment he gave to everyone of her other patients...She never thought of the latest research, or anyhing tailored to my ethnicity/background...was the only doctor in the Hoboken location, she saw dozens of patients but also had limited hours. She sticks to standard procedures (for me it was 3 different paths I could take), you barely get a chance to speak to her, its always through her nurse or someone else at the practice. I felt like a number, someone spending all their lifetime max on useless treatment that didn't get us very far.
[Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas] was full on weekday mornings, the earlier you get there, the sooner you can be seen. On weekends you have to go to their Livingston location, and that could take up to 3 hours to be monitored. It's pretty bad either way..They need to start to tailor their protocol per patient a bit more, and let the patient see the doctor more often or be able to talk to them. They are definitely maximizing their profit with the least amount of work. They don't understand patient don't have all the money in the world to spend. Because of this clinic, we ended up using all of our lifetime max.
Dr. Thompson was the only doctor in the Hoboken location, she saw dozens of patients but also had limited hours. She sticks to standard procedures (for me it was 3 different paths I could take), you barely get a chance to speak to her, its always through her nurse or someone else at the practice. I felt like a number, someone spending all their lifetime max on useless treatment that didn't get us very far. Her explanation was diminished ovarian reserve, blocked tube, and male infertility factor. She never thought of the latest research, or anyhing tailored to my ethnicity/background.
If you really would like to try her out, and can afford it, do no more than one round with her. I would recommend going to one of the other locations, but even there, you are a number.
She was kind and sympathetic, but her treatment was her standard treatment he gave to everyone of her other patients.
we started with antagonist I believe. The second time it was the opposite, but with priming (birth control pills).
The main nurse was rude, I understand she does this everyday. As a patient spending a lot of money, worrying about your own body, and if you can even have a child in the future- she doesn't have patience to explain anything. I have e-mails to her panicking when I first received all my medication - I was overwhelmed, she never went through a training. All the information given to us was outdated. I don't expect coddling, but I do expect education. Patients are not medical experts, and I highly doubt medical experts want their patients to resort to googling how to inject. The rest of the staff (with the exception of the women who drew blood and were at the front desk) were extremely cold and rude. They just wanted to do the next ultrasound and go home and "keep the line moving". The nurse had us throw away expensive medication before our second round (which costs $6k) because the insurance will always cover it. We blew through our lifetime max because of stuff like this.
They have too few doctors for the number of patients in hoboken, they need a kinder nursing staff, and they need to update their standard of care towards their protocols. They need to start to tailor their protocol per patient a bit more, and let the patient see the doctor more often or be able to talk to them. They are definitely maximizing their profit with the least amount of work. They don't understand patient don't have all the money in the world to spend. Because of this clinic, we ended up using all of our lifetime max.
It was full on weekday mornings, the earlier you get there, the sooner you can be seen. On weekends you have to go to their Livingston location, and that could take up to 3 hours to be monitored. It's pretty bad either way.
n/a, we didn't do embryo transfer with her.
They provided zero patient education regarding administering medication, understanding financials, they billed us incorrectly and were extremely unorganized. They claim they work as "a team" but they don't. We asked them to be careful financially so we can understand what we're doing before moving too far, and that was a failure.

2023, Consult
1 Egg Freezing With Other Docs
I first saw Stephanie and was told a certain process would happen and then she went MIA and barely would call me back and I felt like I was always rushed and she was never listening to my needs...I was extremely disappointed with how she treated me...Even when she called to apologize she barely let me talk and share what happened and more so “told” me what the next steps were (which were not what I wanted).
They [Institute fro Reproductive Medicine & Science] are really fast at responding to you after you write a negative review online but otherwise you are just a number to them. The main person who called me after my review was amazing and I was crying and upset and she was the only one who was supportive as well as the head of the nurses- but otherwise my doctor called and seemed more annoyed or “damage control” mode than caring about me.
I was extremely disappointed with how she treated me. She was MIA when my cycle started and I told her it was mentally effecting me in a bad way and didn’t hear from her and barely heard from the nurses until I wrote a bad review. I just went through the progre with another practice and it was night and day different on how great they treated me compared to this. Even when she called to apologize she barely let me talk and share what happened and more so “told” me what the next steps were (which were not what I wanted).
Go somewhere else
We did a sonogram and consultation and then she barely was available and the nurses told me contradicting info
They booked me for different times, different staff reached out with different thigns for me to do- one told me to start asap , one told me I’m not ready to start. One booked me for 7am, one booked me for 8am, it was a mess. I always felt like a number and the fact that they were unorganized really mentally made me upset and depressed. When I shared that email with them I didn’t hear back from My doctor for days and missed my cycle window. It was a horrific experience
They are really fast at responding to you after you write a negative review online but otherwise you are just a number to them. The main person who called me after my review was amazing and I was crying and upset and she was the only one who was supportive as well as the head of the nurses- but otherwise my doctor called and seemed more annoyed or “damage control” mode than caring about me.
None
They had two different nurses cover me and they both called me telling me different things- one told me to start the process early even though I wasn’t on my period- one told me I needed to wait. I was so confused and I decided to not start due to concern of this practice telling me the wrong thing and how expensive it is to do this procedure. I reached out saying I was feeling depressed and mentally upset and barely heard back and could barely get my doctors opinion. The only reason she called me was my bad review and that made the point even more. It was critical that I felt depressed and upset and couldn’t get the right timing so the cycle was cancelled.
Hoboken

I like a lot of explanation, and I have had to push to get my questions answered [by Dr. Stephanie Thompson]...answers questions completely, you just have to get the appointment to ask her...My cycles have been Clomid and a converted-to-natural because a cyst formed from the Clomid. There is no plan to change from Clomid for my current cycle, despite the cyst. Both completed IUIs resulted in negative pregnancy tests. Dr Thompson’s recommendation has been to go directly to IVF since the beginning, but my insurance requires three IUI cycles to cover IVF.
Kim [nurse at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas] often appeared irritated by my questions on the phone. I got the impression that she had too much on her plate...Infertility is difficult and unpredictable, and IRMS did not specifically make that easier for me...The Hoboken office shares space with an OB-GYN, so you will likely be in the waiting room with infants. On the weekends you will need to travel to Livingston for treatment, which can be inconvenient. The patient portal is useful, but the billing section is very confusing, and I had to make a request to be emailed invoices before paying a bill. Otherwise the staff is very responsive to calls and emails.
I like a lot of explanation, and I have had to push to get my questions answered. I would recommend requesting a consultation appointment after each (failed) cycle, because the clinic does not automatically schedule them. Dr. Thompson answers questions completely, you just have to get the appointment to ask her.
Keep track of your treatment plan yourself and be sure to advocate for yourself.
This clinic has a lot of patients, and you need to keep careful track of what your individual treatment plan is, as you may have to remind them about things you have discussed with the doctor.
Kim often appeared irritated by my questions on the phone. I got the impression that she had too much on her plate.
My insurance covered most of it. Ovidrel injections were about $200 each.
I’m not sure if my experience at IRMS is very different from other clinics. Infertility is difficult and unpredictable, and IRMS did not specifically make that easier for me.

2016 - 2018, Unsuccessful
Dr. Thompson's explanations were vague and lacked a detailed understanding of our file. She wasn't able to synthesize relevant information, so that we could make informed decisions about course of treatment...overlooked at least two major potential causes of our infertility which our new clinic immediately picked up on through routine testing...I never saw Dr. Thompson beyond the initial consultation appointments...
IRMS exhibited a troubling lack of attention to detail, was poorly organized, and treated me and my husband like numbers at best...overlooked at least two major potential causes of our infertility which our new clinic immediately picked up on through routine testing... There was often a long wait, especially on the weekends. There were so many people the clinic crammed in at once on the weekends that there were not even enough chairs to seat everyone in the large waiting room. Doctors never did monitoring during the weekdays, and then when you saw them on the weekends, they were irritated if you asked questions, as they were rushed to try to get through the masses of women in for monitoring.
Do not let sheer convenience dictate your choice of doctor.
My experience at this clinic doing three rounds of failed IVF was terrible, and I regret not switching to a better clinic sooner due to sheer convenience. Among other things, the wrong medications were ordered for me, the instructions for taking medications were on one occasion incorrect, the clinic’s after-hours answering service didn’t work more than once, I was improperly billed for services I couldn’t have possibly consumed, and important test results weren’t timely communicated to me. Unlike my current clinic, the doctors at IRMS were barely involved, and I never saw Dr. Thompson beyond the initial consultation appointments. Dr. Thompson overlooked at least two major potential causes of our infertility which our new clinic immediately picked up on through routine testing. Moreover, Dr. Thompson provided at best vague, incomplete information compared to our current doctor. Test results and instructions were almost always released after my assigned nurse left for the day which meant getting any questions answered was an ordeal. When I could actually reach my assigned nurse, she seemed rushed and as if she didn’t want to be bothered with me. The daily testing times were exceedingly narrow, unlike at my current clinic, and the wait times were almost always unreasonably long, especially on the weekends. The Hoboken office is shared with an OBGYN practice, so you will frequently see babies and pregnant women, whom other clinics actually prohibit in waiting rooms for physical and emotional health reasons. Overall, IRMS exhibited a troubling lack of attention to detail, was poorly organized, and treated me and my husband like numbers at best.
Monitoring hours were extremely limited. There was often a long wait, especially on the weekends. There were so many people the clinic crammed in at once on the weekends that there were not even enough chairs to seat everyone in the large waiting room. Doctors never did monitoring during the weekdays, and then when you saw them on the weekends, they were irritated if you asked questions, as they were rushed to try to get through the masses of women in for monitoring.
Among other things, the wrong medications were ordered for me, the instructions for taking medications were on one occasion incorrect, the clinic’s after-hours answering service didn’t work more than once, I was improperly billed for services I couldn’t have possibly consumed, and important test results weren’t timely communicated to me. Dr. Thompson overlooked at least two major potential causes of our infertility which our new clinic immediately picked up on through routine testing.
Hoboken

Dr. Thompson allowed me to be actively involved in the process,listened to my concerns and addressed all of my needs...it is a stressful time and she gets that. She tries to make the process as smooth as possible and is quick to adjust when necessary. In my particular situation, I was heavily involved in the course of treatment and needed to understand every single step-- she respected that and allowed me to feel comfortable enough to ask every question I had.
Strengths [at IRMS at Saint Barnabas]- close proximity to NYC and easy to get to on public transportation, early morning monitoring hours, great neighborhood, staff is welcoming, organized and professional, short wait times. Weaknesses- its a satellite office so not guaranteed to have all visits/procedures done there. There were times when we had to travel from NYC to Livingston office just for monitoring...My nurse Kim was organized, however wasn't the most approachable or compassionate. Answers to questions were kept short and communications were dry. Had to interact with her either at appointments or via patient portal- so not able to avoid. The IRMS staff was excellent. All of the women there were courteous, professional and attentive.
Dr. Thompson is an amazing doctor. She is compassionate, intelligent, and a great communicator. She listens to her patients, is always well prepared, and has compassion for her patients. It is a stressful time and she gets that. She tries to make the process as smooth as possible and is quick to adjust when necessary. In my particular situation, I was heavily involved in the course of treatment and needed to understand every single step-- she respected that and allowed me to feel comfortable enough to ask every question I had.
Understand that this is a process and results are not guaranteed. You will not see Dr. Thompson every visit and you have to be willing to trust the other staff members and Dr. Thompson's judgment. If something doesn't make sense to you- speak up.
The IRMS staff always greeted me by name. Dr. Thompson and the other attending doctors always greeted me by name and knew my history. Phone calls were always timely returned and information was easily shared. Dr. Thompson allowed me to be actively involved in the process,listened to my concerns and addressed all of my needs.
1st cycle used Clomid (50 mg) w/ Ovidrel (250 mcg injection ) caused visual disturbances- not pregnant 2nd cycle used Femara/Letrazol (2.5mg 2x day for 5 days) w/ Ovidrel (250 mcg injection )- not pregnant 3rd cycle used Femara/Letrazol (2.5mg 2x day for 5 days) w/Ovidrel (250 mcg injection) - pregnant
Strengths- close proximity to NYC and easy to get to on public transportation, early morning monitoring hours, great neighborhood, staff is welcoming, organized and professional, short wait times. Weaknesses- its a satellite office so not guaranteed to have all visits/procedures done there. There were times when we had to travel from NYC to Livingston office just for monitoring.
$50 copay per monitoring visit. Ovidrel was $120 out of pocket or $100 deductible then $40 thereafter Clomid $18 per fill (Not covered by insurance) Letrazol $8 per fill (Covered by insurance)
Hoboken

Dr. Thompson suggested that she will most likely prescribe Letrozole with a ovulation trigger shot. I have one child that I had naturally, so I am assuming that is why she didn't jump into suggesting IUI or IVF right away. I appreciate that!...really took her time getting to know myself and my husband. She answered all of our questions and we did not feel rushed...She thoroughly explained what she was doing/testing every step of the way. I am still in the diagnosis stage of my treatment, but I feel ask though Dr. Thompson has the right plan for me. I told her that I may have PCOS but she wanted me to get tested for it just to be sure since I wasn't positive. She did not push the most expensive treatment on me. I appreciate her honesty and the time that she spent with myself and my husband during our consultation.
Kim [nurse at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas] was very organized. She knew her stuff, and was great at explaining the steps that we had to take. I feel that she could be more compassionate...The clinic appeared to be very clean and organized. The exam room was very clean and the temperature was just right. The bathrooms are clean as well. The front desk was efficient. Not overly nice, but they were pleasant enough.
Dr. Thompson has excellent bedside manner. She thoroughly explained what she was doing/testing every step of the way. I am still in the diagnosis stage of my treatment, but I feel ask though Dr. Thompson has the right plan for me. I told her that I may have PCOS but she wanted me to get tested for it just to be sure since I wasn't positive. She did not push the most expensive treatment on me. I appreciate her honesty and the time that she spent with myself and my husband during our consultation.
She seems like a very compassionate Dr. Just make sure that you come prepared with your entire health history and background so that she can make the right course of treatment for you.
Dr. Thompson really took her time getting to know myself and my husband. She answered all of our questions and we did not feel rushed.
I have not been prescribed any drugs yet, but Dr. Thompson suggested that she will most likely prescribe Letrozole with a ovulation trigger shot. I have one child that I had naturally, so I am assuming that is why she didn't jump into suggesting IUI or IVF right away. I appreciate that!
Kim was very organized. She knew her stuff, and was great at explaining the steps that we had to take. I feel that she could be more compassionate.
So far I only had to pay for my first consultation and pelvic ultrasound. It was just over $300. My bloodwork was covered 100% by my insurance.
This is N/A to me.
Hoboken

She [Dr. Margaret Graf Garrisi] was not always the doctor that saw me, or did procedures. I only consulted with her if something went wrong. She was a sweet doctor but sometimes i felt there was a lot of miscommunications and at times i felt like maybe she didn’t know what she was doing knowing my issues. She would give me wrong dosages, at wrong times and would have to cancel cycles. It was a lot of frustrations.
The staff [at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas] was polite at time but not always sensitive to the patients needs. They had an attitude at times and as you read in my whole journey, they screwed a few times with the medications and times to take the medications and not one apologized for their mistake. Only the doctor called to apologize but i wrote an email to my nurse and she never acknowledged it. As an infertility patient, who went through a nightmare of a journey, they should be more understanding. Some where nice.
How was your experience with Margaret Graf Garrisi at New Jersey Fertility Clinics (CCRM/IRMS Facilities)?
She was not always the doctor that saw me, or did procedures. I only consulted with her if something went wrong. She was a sweet doctor but sometimes i felt there was a lot of miscommunications and at times i felt like maybe she didn’t know what she was doing knowing my issues. She would give me wrong dosages, at wrong times and would have to cancel cycles. It was a lot of frustrations.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Margaret Graf Garrisi at New Jersey Fertility Clinics (CCRM/IRMS Facilities)?
Be patient and always ask for her to get back to you, to check you or monitor you, not a technician or a nurse. Communicate well with her and ask her to explain things instead of just rambling on.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Margaret Graf Garrisi at New Jersey Fertility Clinics (CCRM/IRMS Facilities)?
I felt like a human because they took the time to consult with me, call me by my name, not a number and treat me like i was a priority. However, i will not put 100% because sometimes they were insensitive to me as a infertility patient.
Describe the protocols Margaret Graf Garrisi used in your cycles at New Jersey Fertility Clinics (CCRM/IRMS Facilities) and their degree of success.
I will display my full journey. I was diagnosed with PCOS, an ovulatory dysfunction and a blocked dysfunctional tube. met with dr. Garrisi on 10/18/2017 after being referred to her by my gyno. had an ultrasound done. Prescribed Provera and started taking it on 10/19 for the next 7 days. ** Nurse said once I start bleeding on the first day to call them to schedule an appt. for an HSG test. Started first pill of Provera, same day. Few days later, 6th day of pill, a few clots of blood, Spotting. On November 6th had a Saline Sono done. Days later i followed up wit Dr Garrisi, discuss the surgery for removing the polyps. Blood work and ultrasound. Discussed My husband’s blood work and mine. He is a carrier of genetic disorder and I’m negative. (Nothing to worry about) On the 16th- started taking birth control as prescribed to stop my cycle, waiting for surgery schedule date. Surgery scheduled for 12/11 at 10am. Went well. Surgery done on 12/11 - went well. follow up after surgery. found out my polyps were benign but have a chronic endometriosis infection on my uterus lining. Prescribed antibiotics for 14 days to cure the infection. RWas told on the 2nd week to make an appt for the 3rd or 4th week to have follow up biopsy done again. Cervix is back to normal. 12/23 - started taking the antibiotics. Metronidazole 3x a day Doxycycline 2x a day 14 days. *2018* 1/5 - ended the two week antibiotics. Follow up appt done for the 4th week, on 1/17 3 pm No bleeding since. 1/17- follow up appt with dr. Garrisi, has a biopsy done to check if the infection is gone. 1/25 - results in... infection gone. Dr wants to do a saline sono once my period comes to double check if everything is okay to proceed. Need to get on the pill for my period to come. 1/29 - blood work and ultra sound to put me on medroxyprogesterone. 1/30 - started taking the pill for 7 days (call dr. office at cycle day ) 2/13 - Cycle day 1. Called to make the Saline sono for Wednesday 2/21. (Cycle day 9) 2/21 - Saline sono - everything is good and prescribed meds to start the ivf cycle Started birth control at 8:51 pm to stop my cycle For the next 5 days. Cycle day 9. IVF cycle treatment starts March 3rd 2018. 3/3 - started IVF cycle. appt in Livingston, blood work and ultrasound. First injection of gonal F pen 225 units and menapur 75 units. 7:30 pm Saturday, Sunday and Monday only. Tuesday 3/6 appt at 7 am Hoboken. 3/4 - cycle 3 - bleeding less not as heavy. Injections day 2. 3/6 - blood work and an ultrasound in Hoboken. 7 am. Continue injections. Menapur, gonal F and cetotide 3/8 - cycle day 24 - blood work and ultrasound 7 am Hoboken - tech said i had a lot of follicles and that’s good! Take three injections as usual. 6th day of stimming. 3/9 - cycle day 25. Blood work and ultrasound 7 am Hoboken. 3rd time this week. One shot of HCG at 11:30 pm, no other shots. Found out the retrieval is Sunday!!!! 3/10 - cycle day 26. Cramping a lot, a lot of pain. No shots. 3/11 - cycle day 27. Retrieval surgery done at 11:30 am by dr. Thompson Took out 15 follicles/eggs. Went well but In a lot of pain. Starting new medication. Shot of progesterone and two sets of pills. So much pain! 3/12- pain!!!!! Cycle day 28. Found out only 4 eggs fertilized. 3/13 - pain decreased but still there. Cycle day 29. 3/14 - not the greatest of news! Estrogen Levels are really highly 5860 and i have OHSS. Couldn’t do the transfer on day 3. Pain still there. 3/16 - we decided to cancel the day 5 transfer. Ovaries are still enlarged even though my levels went down to 3000 but doctor said it was wise to cancel and wait till next month to do the transfer. I’m okay with this decision, my health comes first. I could’ve gotten very sick. Less pain but still feel it. Super bloated from the fluids in my uterus and back. 3/18- learned the 3rd embryo didn’t make it and i could’ve miscarried. Did not get frozen and i only have two day 3 embies. 3/21 - blood work and ultrasound- estrogen levels are back to normal, ovaries still a little large but everything is healing good. Have a few ovarian cysts due to the retrieval, which according to dr garassi, will go away. 3/27 - appt for blood work and ultrasound. I’m okay. Starting birth control pills to control the cycle, evening. 3/28 - period gone. Cycle day 4 - 2nd day on bc pill. 3/29 - cycle day 5, follow up with dr. Garrisi, everything went well. Will start the meds next week and transfer will be scheduled for 4/24 or 4/25 or 4/26 4/2 - last day of birth control pill. Cycle day 9. 4/3 - follow up for monitoring. Asked to stop the bc pill and will hopefully start Saturday the hormone pills. 4/5 - cycle day 12. Everything normal so far. 4/7 - appt in Livingston- found a lot of cysts in the ovaries and must continue birth control till Thursday. Was not able to start hormones. 4/12 - last day of birth control pill. Monitoring check up Tuesday. 4/17 - no bleeding, doctors appt. I’m okay to start the estrace tonight. 2 pills 2x a day. 4 mg (HERE WE GO! Starting the cycle again!) 4/21 - monitoring, hormone levels went up from 48 on Tuesday 4/17 to 208 and was Told to start taking 2 pills 3x a time. 6 mg. 4/23 - blood work; everything came out okay to continue pills. Levels 296. 4/30 - Doctor appt for monitoring, everything came out okay. Received the email that I’m ready to start preparing for the embryo transfer and it’s scheduled for 5/7. MONDAY IS THE BIG DAY!! start all the rest of the meds and injections on Wednesday. 5/7- was not the big day!!! A huge mistake with the medications happened and the injections were given to me two days too soon and the transfer should’ve been on 5/5 not 5/7. My heart broke! Second time this process has been cancelled. Have to start all over again due to the staffs mistake. Have to wait for my period to come. Stopped meds. 5/14 - first day of period, spoke to nurse Kim, refilled my hormone medications and hopefully after monitoring tomorrow, i can start Tuesday May 15th. 5/15 - appt for usual. Everything came out okay to start hormones today. Second time starting meds for the thaw cycle., third time starting hormones for the IVF cycle. Started estradiol two tablets twice a day, to Friday. Saturday, appt in Livingston 5/23 - day 9 on hormones. doctors appt for monitoring. One week completed. 6/4 - transfer day!!! Two baby embies went in! Finally. 6/15 - positive result. I’m pregnant! My HCG BETA levels are low (22) but have to go in Monday to test again and see if they rising up. Staying positive!! nurse says it’s too soon. 6/18 - results stated i lost the embryos and had an early miscarriage. In July went for a follow up and found out my insurance will no longer cover another treatment and must pay out of pocket. I was not told this during my first and only cycle that it would be my only shot. It was a nightmare of journey which ended up in a big disappointment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at New Jersey Fertility Clinics (CCRM/IRMS Facilities). (Assigned nurse: Kim Neilley )
The staff was polite at time but not always sensitive to the patients needs. They had an attitude at times and as you read in my whole journey, they screwed a few times with the medications and times to take the medications and not one apologized for their mistake. Only the doctor called to apologize but i wrote an email to my nurse and she never acknowledged it. As an infertility patient, who went through a nightmare of a journey, they should be more understanding. Some where nice.
Technicians and nurses who draw blood see you more than your own nurse and doctor. The financial aspect of the clinic and most nurses can be rude. Be patient and if you don’t feel comfortable, find a new clinic.
I would have liked for my doctor to monitor me but it was always a technician who never said a word to me but good morning and have a good day. Never worried about hurting me.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Margaret Graf Garrisi at New Jersey Fertility Clinics (CCRM/IRMS Facilities).
My insurance had a limit of $10000 for infertility treatments once in a lifetime
Margaret Graf Garrisi

2015 - 2018, Unsuccessful
Most of the nurses [at IRMS] and even the lab technicians were great, but the Hoboken main nurse was often cold and often seemed annoyed. However, they are doing what the doctor tells them to do and although she was not pleasant, I care much more about my doctor, so the nurses personality was really not much of a concern for me.... Their strength is working with you financially and being responsive. Advice would be if you are having trouble to talk to someone and find the right person to help you
Dr. Thompson was great and I would recommend her to anyone. Although the I did not get pregnant, I believe she did everything in her power to help me. She was realistic with me and even though I knew egg donor was a possibility and we discussed it, I never felt she pushed it on me (as I have heard from friends about their doctors). She was always willing to listen to my concerns and was very compassionate. She was sensitive to the fininacial stress of infertility as well as all the emotional stress. I think a lot of people write bad reviews of doctors when they do not get pregnant, but it’s not her job to perform miracles, it’s her job to work to the best of her ability to help us achieve a pregnancy. Unfortunately, she is not magic and she is working with the human body. She can not control my advanced age or medical problems. She did everything she could to help me and was sincerely disappointed with me when it did not work. She is supportive, knowledgeable, kind and available and that is really everything I wanted in a doctor.
If you need more from her, just be kind and ask and if it is a realistic expectation she will probably be willing help you!
Dr. Thompson was always kind and recognized me when I was there for appointments. It would not even occur to me to say I was treated like a number.
I went through 4-6 (can’t remember exactly) egg retrievals and we honestly used almost every protocol available.
Most of the nurses and even the lab technicians were great, but the Hoboken main nurse was often cold and often seemed annoyed. However, they are doing what the doctor tells them to do and although she was not pleasant, I care much more about my doctor, so the nurses personality was really not much of a concern for me.
Their strength is working with you financially and being responsive. Advice would be if you are having trouble to talk to someone and find the right person to help you. The receptionist in Hoboken and also Vic Marie went above and beyond to help me many times.
Sometimes on the weekends (in Livingston) I waited a little, but in Hoboken and Jersey City I felt there was very little wait.
I worked with Lisa in finance and I really don’t remember the total of everything over 4 years.
Hoboken

[Dr. Margaret Graf Garrisi] has been candid and compassionate along the way and this has made my husband and I feel more comfortable with the process. She has explained everything in a way that is easy to digest, even if it's not been the information we were hoping for at the time...She is thorough and she provides answers to all of your questions but be certain to take notes so you can reflect on it all after you've left the appointment.
The minimum cost for one cycle [at IRMS] will be $12,000. If we opt to do two cycles then we will be faced with a cost of approximately $21,000...I do not have any complaints with IRMS. They have flexible hours, a friendly staff and they are close to where I live. Given that I am in a situation with trying to conceive that I certainly didn't want to find myself in, the treatment and response from this clinic has been overall positive and has made me feel better.
We have not yet started our cycle so we've only had a few appointments with the doctor. However, she has been candid and compassionate along the way and this has made my husband and I feel more comfortable with the process. She has explained everything in a way that is easy to digest, even if it's not been the information we were hoping for at the time.
Take notes! She is thorough and she provides answers to all of your questions but be certain to take notes so you can reflect on it all after you've left the appointment.
Dr. Garrisi has always made our concerns and questions feel valid. She is patient, thorough and direct. We really appreciate her approach and her positive, yet honest communication style.
Again, since we haven't started our cycle (but are hoping to later this spring), this is difficult to answer. I have my list of medications planned but this will all be finalized as we get closer to the start date.
Describe your experience with your nurse at New Jersey Fertility Clinics (CCRM/IRMS Facilities). (Assigned nurse: Kim McNeilly)
All of the nurses and staff have been patient, kind and quick to respond to my questions/emails/messages. It's been a very positive experience and for that I am very grateful.
The minimum cost for one cycle will be $12,000. If we opt to do two cycles then we will be faced with a cost of approximately $21,000.
Margaret Graf Garrisi