LGBTQ+ Competent Care
LGBTQ+ Competent Care

Based on reviews from the LGBTQ+ community.

LGBTQ+ Care
9.7
9.7
LGBTQ+ Care

Ratings of 1 indicate an unsatisfactory LGBTQ+ care.

Ratings of 10 indicate an excellent LGBTQ+ care.

159 East 53rd St, 3rd Floor
109 West 27th St, 9th Floor
Westchester
132 Parkway Road, Floor 2
Bronxville, NY 10708

2019, 20 Eggs Frozen
Dr. Licciardi was my doctor but I saw him only twice during the process. We met at the consult and then he preformed one ultrasound. I was surprised when I learned he wasn't the one conducting my retrieval but he called me and put me at ease about who was doing the retrieval.... I really thought Dr. Licciardi's care was excellent during the process. He was always accessible by phone and email, and he called me several times to keep me updated and to check on me. I definitely felt that he cared
[NYU] is a factory but very organized. There were times I questioned if they were tailoring my meds correctly but at the end they knew what they were doing because I got way more eggs than expected. Also, need better communication regarding requirements if you ever want to donate the eggs. I was told that I had time to make the decision before retrieval and then week before the retrieval I was told that you need to start the process one month prior.
How was your experience with Frederick Licciardi at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Dr. Licciardi was my doctor but I saw him only twice during the process. We met at the consult and then he preformed one ultrasound. I was surprised when I learned he wasn't the one conducting my retrieval but he called me and put me at ease about who was doing the retrieval. I really thought Dr. Licciardi's care was excellent during the process. He was always accessible by phone and email, and he called me several times to keep me updated and to check on me. I definitely felt that he cared and I wasn't just another number in the factory. . I think Dr. Licciardi wanted to manage my expectations because he told me to expect 10-14 eggs, but 22 were retrieved and 20 mature eggs were frozen (age 36). What this actually means I really don't know because Dr. Licciardi made it clear that there are no guarantees.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Frederick Licciardi at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
He is not going to hold your hand during the process but you will get excellent results.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Frederick Licciardi at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Dr. Licciardi was my doctor but I saw him only twice during the process. We met at the consult and then he preformed one ultrasound. I was surprised when I learned he wasn't the one conducting my retrieval but he called me and put me at ease about who was doing the retrieval. All of the doctors are highly skilled with decades of experience so you will always be in great hands. I really thought Dr. Licciardi's care was excellent during the process. He was always accessible by phone and email, and he called me several times to keep me updated and to check on me. I definitely felt that he cared and I wasn't just another number in the factory.
Describe the protocols Frederick Licciardi used in your cycles at NYU Langone Fertility Center and their degree of success.
We started out with 150 Gonal F in the morning and 75 Menapur at night and then we decreased Gonal F dosage by the end of week one. Total cycle lasted 10 days. Results were 22 eggs retrieved. 20 frozen (but 2 were not fully mature but they froze them anyway).
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
You may see the same nurses during blood work, but often they are different. I never encountered any nursing staff who were rude or unkind. Nurses on retrieval day were very sweet and caring.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
There should be more preparation for administering the injections. There was an orientation but I forgot everything by the time it was time to start the cycle. It is a factory but very organized. There were times I questioned if they were tailoring my meds correctly but at the end they knew what they were doing because I got way more eggs than expected. Also, need better communication regarding requirements if you ever want to donate the eggs. I was told that I had time to make the decision before retrieval and then week before the retrieval I was told that you need to start the process one month prior. Still not sure what the actual answer is for that question.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Frederick Licciardi at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
$6900 for egg freezing and storage for one year. 1,000 for anesthesia. I received a discount because it was medically necessary for me.
Describe Frederick Licciardi's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
What specific things went wrong at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
I wanted the option to donate my eggs if I wanted. There were certain requirements that had to be met ahead of time. I wasn’t given the correct timeline for that so I do not have option to donate my eggs if I wanted to do so. It’s not the end of the world and probably will need all the eggs.
NY - 53rd Street (Eastside)
She [Dr. Hodes-Wertz] was extremely knowledgeable and kind. I felt like she meant business- she presented my options and was blunt and honest but not rude or mean. As someone with a larger BMI she never mentioned my weight as an issue and looked for actual causes of my issues...I took clomid, then had some ultrasounds and when a follicle matured they gave me the ovulation trigger injection ovidrel
That clinic apparently only does single from what she informed me at the time of my consult...This [NYU Langone Fertility Center] clinic is like a factory but I feel like they really know what they are doing and are experienced. I was not expecting a small town feel, but each time I walked in I was greeted by friendly staff. Each person I interacted with was kind and wanting to help. Their outcomes also speak for themselves.
How was your experience with Brooke Hodes-Wertz at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
She was extremely knowledgeable and kind. I felt like she meant business- she presented my options and was blunt and honest but not rude or mean. As someone with a larger BMI she never mentioned my weight as an issue and looked for actual causes of my issues.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Brooke Hodes-Wertz at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
As with any provider, read up on your options first so you can be prepared to ask questions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Brooke Hodes-Wertz at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
This is certainly a busy clinic however they are efficient. I saw Dr Hodes each time and I felt like she knew what was going on with me.
Describe the protocols Brooke Hodes-Wertz used in your cycles at NYU Langone Fertility Center and their degree of success.
We got pregnant with our first IUI. I was on the last day of my period during the consultation, so taking that into consideration she started treatment with me that day since I agreed. I took clomid, then had some ultrasounds and when a follicle matured they gave me the ovulation trigger injection ovidrel. I then went back for bloodwork 2 weeks later and was called that day with positive news. I did bloodwork 6 days after that to check Hcg and an ultrasound with Dr Hodes where we heard the heartbeat 2 weeks later.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU Langone Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Audrey)
I worked with Audrey- she actually did my IUI and she was wonderful. Super knowledgeable. I had issues w getting insurance approval of ovidrel and she helped immediately. She also called me 3 hours after I had blood drawn to give me my results.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
This clinic is like a factory but I feel like they really know what they are doing and are experienced. I was not expecting a small town feel, but each time I walked in I was greeted by friendly staff. Each person I interacted with was kind and wanting to help. Their outcomes also speak for themselves.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brooke Hodes-Wertz at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
My IUI and all meds were covered by my insurance plan- my plan covers up to $20,000 of fertility treatments per lifetime.
Describe Brooke Hodes-Wertz's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
2016 - 2019, Successful
Dr Fino is great. We did not see her every visit as the clinic's schedule rotated. Certain doctors did certain procedures on specific days. But our consultations and appointments with her were always great. She took time to listen to our concerns and fully explain things. It was never rushed.... NYU prefers and indeed recommends single embryo transfer, especially if you opt for PGS, due to the risks associated with a multiples pregnancy.
Clean and spacious facility Generally on time with appointments but book early because they are very popular. You could easily feel like a number [at NYU] because there are so many patients in and out every day, but the staff does a great job at showing kindness and empathy, while keeping things moving along too.... Monitoring was from 7-9am 7 days a week. I am sure exceptions could be made if needed but I never needed to request this.
How was your experience with Elizabeth Fino at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Elizabeth Fino at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Book earlier than you think. They are very busy and it can take a while to get an initial appointment.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Elizabeth Fino at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
It's a little of both at NYU. They have A LOT of patients and a very well-run and well-organized system. I can see how people would easily feel like a number but the staff is so friendly and caring and compassionate that I always personally felt like a human, even if I was just one of many women getting shuffled through the morning monitoring process. They always had a smile and asked how I was doing.
Describe the protocols Elizabeth Fino used in your cycles at NYU Langone Fertility Center and their degree of success.
Honestly can't remember the specifics...
Friendly and well organized.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Clean and spacious facility Generally on time with appointments but book early because they are very popular. You could easily feel like a number because there are so many patients in and out every day, but the staff does a great job at showing kindness and empathy, while keeping things moving along too.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Monitoring was from 7-9am 7 days a week. I am sure exceptions could be made if needed but I never needed to request this. It would be crowded but I always arrived before 7 and was one of the first patients to be seen. I actually appreciated the set up of a morning monitoring window because I could get in and out before starting my workday and get my results/instructions before the end of the day.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Elizabeth Fino at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
On par with other NYC facilities but to be honest, I can't remember exactly.
Describe Elizabeth Fino's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at NYU Langone Fertility Center.

2 Embryo Freezing With Other Docs
[Dr. Grifo is] very scientific and thorough. He gave me very realistic expectations with respect to the number of eggs retrieved and embryos created...we retrieved more eggs than expected and were able to freeze more embryos than expected...He was a strong proponent of eSET given my age and the fact that we used a PGS embryo...it takes months to book an appointment with him
I was pleasantly surprised how NYU's clinic was truly state of the art. I trusted the lab, the doctors, administrators, staff, and nursing team. Everyone was accommodating and understanding and worked with my schedule. I was able to start my cycle within a week of meeting with Dr. Grifo for the first time and was pregnant within less than two months...Monitoring appointments were an efficient, well-oiled machine.
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
He's the best in the field. He's absolutely brilliant, and I trusted him with all decisionmaking. I instantly felt that I was in great hands. He's very scientific and thorough. He gave me very realistic expectations with respect to the number of eggs retrieved and embryos created, and I was pleasantly surprised when we retrieved more eggs than expected and were able to freeze more embryos than expected.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Do your homework before you see him. He is happy to answer as many questions as you have even though his time is previous and it takes months to book an appointment with him.
Describe the protocols James Grifo used in your cycles at NYU Langone Fertility Center and their degree of success.
I don't remember.
The nursing staff was extremely competent and helpful. I was always able to connect with someone who could answer any of my random questions and concerns.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
The clinic is phenomenal. I used a different clinic with my first IVF pregnancy in Florida, and I was pleasantly surprised how NYU's clinic was truly state of the art. I trusted the lab, the doctors, administrators, staff, and nursing team. Everyone was accommodating and understanding and worked with my schedule. I was able to start my cycle within a week of meeting with Dr. Grifo for the first time and was pregnant within less than two months.
Monitoring appointments were an efficient, well-oiled machine.
Describe the costs associated with your care under James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Around $35,000
Describe James Grifo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
NY - 53rd Street (Eastside)
Dr Hodes-Wertz was clear and concise with how she explained all upcoming steps and managed our expectations throughout...I always felt Dr Hodes-Wertz was involved in the decision making. It would be easy to feel like just a number at the clinic, but I feel like they make every effort to diminish that, with great success for me. The nurses were all engaged and recognized you on each visit and cheered or empathized with you based on your progress. We were very happy with the outcome.
monitoring window [at NYU Langone Fertility Center] was conveniently in the morning before work, it also helped to get results in faster...is a Large organization and it would be easy to get lost in the system, but they ensure you don't feel like just a number - there are a lot of early morning visits in the process which I don't think i was fully prepared for.
Although NYU Fertility is a large clinic and i often saw multiple different nurses and doctors, I always felt Dr Hodes-Wertz was involved in the decision making. It would be easy to feel like just a number at the clinic, but I feel like they make every effort to diminish that, with great success for me. The nurses were all engaged and recognized you on each visit and cheered or empathized with you based on your progress. We were very happy with the outcome.
Ask questions, have an open mind when she is suggesting treatment and if you have personal preferences, discuss them openly.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
NYU Langone is a Large organization and it would be easy to get lost in the system, but they ensure you don't feel like just a number - there are a lot of early morning visits in the process which I don't think i was fully prepared for.
Teh monitoring window was conveniently in the morning before work, it also helped to get results in faster.
$12,000 after insurance
NY - Westside
It [NYU] is a busy clinic and you don't see your doctor every visit, but she checked in frequently and made all of my plans. NYU is a reputable clinic with good outcomes so I felt the business was worth the while...It was well run, a few days I had to wait longer than others, the staff was always apologetic...Dr. DeVore always heard me out and listened to my thoughts/feelings/questions. It was a very collaborative experience. She checked in on me frequently during my treatment and made sure to ask me about life outside of fertility. She was thoughtful, supportive, and down to earth. I feel so grateful to have found her...Ask your questions, she will answer all of them thoroughly and thoughtfully...She advocated for single embryo transfer
How was your experience with Shannon DeVore at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Shannon DeVore at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Ask your questions, she will answer all of them thoroughly and thoughtfully.
Describe the protocols Shannon DeVore used in your cycles at NYU Langone Fertility Center and their degree of success.
I don't remember
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
It is a busy clinic and you don't see your doctor every visit, but she checked in frequently and made all of my plans. NYU is a reputable clinic with good outcomes so I felt the business was worth the while.
Describe Shannon DeVore's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
She advocated for single embryo transfer
Shannon DeVore
NY - 53rd Street (Eastside)

Talk to him [Dr. Grifo] about any doubts and ask questions regarding potential complications... Great patient care, vet knowledgeable, and personable. Good flexibility in connecting through the phone as opposed to only through office visits. Vet patient and personable. But I am still in the middle of the process at this time... Even though they [NYU] have lots of patients the level of care is individual.
Very experienced staff [NYU], well oiled machine. It feels like the do this all the time and know all of the possible complications. Even though they have lots of patients the level of care is individual. I would definitely recommend this center... Good flexibility in connecting through the phone as opposed to only through office visits. Vet patient and personable. But I am still in the middle of the process at this time
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Talk to him about any doubts and ask questions regarding potential complications
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Great patient care
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Very experienced staff, well oiled machine. It feels like the do this all the time and know all of the possible complications. Even though they have lots of patients the level of care is individual. I would definitely recommend this center
NY - 53rd Street (Eastside)

Dr. Hodes treated me like a human and also like a friend. ... With Doctor Hodes I finally feel that I can drop my guard and trust the advice that I'm getting. She is compassionate, smart, patient, communicative and understands the importance of fertility treatment. ... There are two offices and several doctors but she always made it convenient for me to see her when important. She called me back when I had questions and spent extra time explaining things as needed. I felt so comfortable working with Dr.Hodes and will miss being under her care.
It's very busy and there are a lot of doctors and nurses but I have had a positive experience with each and every one. I never waited more than 5 minutes and I always receive a call or email back within 2 hours. ... NYU as a practice prefers eSET vs. multiple embryo. ... All of the nurses were amazing as they were very friendly and educational. I specifically spoke to Andrea almost every time and she was a fresh breath of air.
With Doctor Hodes I finally feel that I can drop my guard and trust the advice that I'm getting. She is compassionate, smart, patient, communicative and understands the importance of fertility treatment. She's a great doctor and I felt so comfortable and safe under her care.
Ask as many questions as you have ---she will make time for you and answer them. I always felt bad taking her time during my morning monitoring appointments as she had dozens of patients to see but she always insisted that I asked all my questions as she'd rather answer them in person.
Dr. Hodes treated me like a human and also like a friend. She shared personal information that was relatable and helped me feel comfortable under her care. There are two offices and several doctors but she always made it convenient for me to see her when important. She called me back when I had questions and spent extra time explaining things as needed. I felt so comfortable working with Dr.Hodes and will miss being under her care.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
I don't have anything negative to say about this clinic. It's very busy and there are a lot of doctors and nurses but I have had a positive experience with each and every one. I never waited more than 5 minutes and I always receive a call or email back within 2 hours.
$14,500 for ER/Fresh Transfer ICSI + monitoring $1500 for embryo freezing $3600 + fees for PGS testing $2-8K for meds
NYU as a practice prefers eSET vs. multiple embryo. I asked Dr. Hodes on her opinion and she was very honest and explained the rationale behind it which is ultimately for the patient to give birth to a healthy baby. With multiple embryo transfer the pregnancy is at higher risk and does not increase the chances of a live birth. I know that the clinic would consider multiple embryo transfers depending on the patients prognosis and history but they treat that case by case. Dr. Hodes also went through IVF and had twins and she shared that information with me explaining how much harder her pregnancy and postpartum was with the twins vs. singleton. I really appreciate her honesty and sharing her own personal experience . Going through fertility could be lonely and having a doctor that understands not only the medical part but emotional is very helpful and beneficial to fertility treatment.
NY - Westside

Dr. Fino is exceptionally knowledgable, practical and compassionate. She spends at least 20 minutes with me every call we have and thoroughly answers all of my questions. She's also exceptionally open to hearing what research I have done or approaches I would like to consider. I appreciate that after my first failed transfer of a PGS tested embryo she gave me information on a reproductive immunologist to further explore additional options.
The NYU nursing staff is like my family. They all know me by name, are upbeat friendly faces to see every morning monitoring. Can't say enough about this staff. Really love them.... Well oiled machine. Check in at computers up front and wait to be called. Blood taken first then sent to room for the ultrasound. I always get there early and am in and out in no time.
How was your experience with Elizabeth Fino at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Don't be discouraged by the fact that you don't see her very often or that you can't get immediate access to her. She is exceptionally responsive and thorough and if you schedule a call you will get all the time you want/need with her. She's been fantastic and I trust her completely.
NYU is a large fertility clinic and well oiled machine. At first I felt like a number until I learned how to operate within the system. It's difficult to have direct access to your Doctor, which is understandable given the volume of patients they say day in and day out. However, any time I leave messages with Dr. Fino's assistant for Dr. Fino I get an immediate response. They went above and beyond for me several times. Dr. Masbou who is a fellow that works with Dr. Fino is super responsive and accessible by email as well. The staff at NYU has come to feel like family and they are very responsive and well organized.
IUI protocol: letrozal (for PCOS) First Egg Retrieval: Gonal F (150), Menopur (150) both tapered down to 75 toward end of stimulation, Cetrotide First Transfer Cycle: Estrace (2 mgs, 4 mgs, 6 mgs), Progesterone 1.5cc First cycle Vitamins/Medicines: 750 mg Metformin, 600 mg CoQ10, 800 mg Folic Acid, 2,000 mg Vitamin D3 After failed transfer Dr. Fino performed a saline sonogram to look for fibroids and/or endometriosis and an endometrial biopsy. The biopsy found Endometritis. Husband and I were treated with strong course of 2 antibiotics for 2 weeks. Second Egg Retrieval: Gonal F (150), Menopur (150) both tapered down to 75 toward end of stimulation, Cetrotide. During this retrieval Dr. Masbou performed a follow up endometrial biopsy or scratch to both confirm Endometritis was cleared and at the recommendation of Dr. Jonathan Scher (reproductive immunologist). Second Transfer Cycle: Includes protocols from Dr. Jonathan Scher (reproductive immunologist as well). Estrace (2 mgs, 4 mgs, 6 mgs), Progesterone 1.5cc, Baby Aspirin (81 mg), Lovenox (0.6mL), Intralipid 20% Second cycle Vitamins/Medicines: 1500 mg Metformin, VitaCare (prescribed prenatal), 600 mg CoQ10, 1.4 mg Folic Acid (Metanx), 4,000 mg Vitamin D3, Fem-Dophilus pro-biotic, 400 mg Magnesium Citrate, Prednisone (15 mg per day), Synthroid (25 mg)
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
The clinic is extremely large so you have to proactively manage your care and be your own advocate. Do your research so you're prepared with your questions when you talk to your doctor or the staff. I keep a binder with all of my lab results, protocols, Insurance forms, Financial forms, general info etc. I have found absolutely everyone on this staff to be responsive and fabulous.
Our first cycle was completely covered by United Healthcare with the exception of PGS testing. The first cycle totaled approximately $21,000. Our second cycle (retrieval, PGS testing and transfer) have been completely covered by Progeny.
NYU recommends single embryo transfer for PGS tested embryos. We discussed all of the risks.

IUI With Other Docs
Because of my age, Dr. Berkeley felt it was imperative to get started on a treatment course quickly. Unfortunately, my diminished ovarian reserve resulted in two failed IVF cycles, which were heartbreaking to us. When we were ready, Dr. Berkeley recommended that our best option would be donor egg treatment.... Dr. Berkeley takes a considerable amount of time with his patients to get to know them, and thoroughly explain not only what he thinks is going on case by case, but his strategies for resolving the issues.
NYU is a large place, and there are always many people in the waiting room. Suffice to say, I have never once felt like a number at this clinic. I am always greeted with a smile by my caregivers, who call me by name, and am treated with respect. The billing process at NYU is always scary as you have to check out with full payment before you leave.... For this third cycle, Aleksandra has been my main nurse care coordinator. She is personable, skilled, scientific and warm.
How was your experience with Alan Berkeley at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
One person who knows Dr. Berkeley well at his clinic described him to us once as a man who can look at a set of numbers in front of him and explain patterns that he immediately sees amongst them. There is no doubt that he is has an extraordinarily scientific brain. But along with this, he is compassionate, honest and caring with his patients. Though NYU is large and sees many daily patients, not once has Dr. Berkeley or any of his staff made me feel like a 'number.' In truth, Dr. Berkeley spends more time with us one on one that any other doctor I've ever known. He always wants to make sure you fully understand what is going on in your treatment, both before and during any treatment course. One very positive thing I will also say about Dr. Berkeley is that he is very pro-patient in his patient counseling. I am sure many of us have experienced well meaning partners at times who have wanted to do treatments that require less financial risk, at the expense of not working as well. He reminds partners in the room that it is, in fact, the female patient undergoing treatment that has to undergo the procedures, and that they should really be the ones to consult carefully before making any hard and fast decisions. Dr. Berkeley is always in the patient's corner - and this is very reassuring.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Alan Berkeley at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Patients who are seeking an honest assessment of their fertility issues and chances at conceiving will do well under Dr. Berkeley's care. He is kind and compassionate, but he is not a man who will sugar coat your situation. If this is the type of doctor you seek, then you will be very happy with his treatment.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Alan Berkeley at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
We first tried a different fertility clinic which we promptly left before the first cycle commenced as we felt this office was not really on top of things. After this experience, we decided to go to NYU and work with Dr. Berkeley after another friend gave us a good recommendation of him. Immediately upon meeting him, I sensed he had the wisdom of a highly skilled scientist, but the warmth of a family member. Dr. Berkeley takes a considerable amount of time with his patients to get to know them, and thoroughly explain not only what he thinks is going on case by case, but his strategies for resolving the issues. He is also a very straight shooter - and by this I do not mean he is brutal with his honesty. He simply explains odds in a realistic yet comforting manner. Although we had two failed cycles, we feel very happy under Dr. Berkeley's care and will soon be undergoing a donor egg cycle as our main issue is diminished ovarian reserve. I am so grateful to have found Dr. Berkeley and to be under his care.
Describe the protocols Alan Berkeley used in your cycles at NYU Langone Fertility Center and their degree of success.
Because of my age, Dr. Berkeley felt it was imperative to get started on a treatment course quickly. Unfortunately, my diminished ovarian reserve resulted in two failed IVF cycles, which were heartbreaking to us. When we were ready, Dr. Berkeley recommended that our best option would be donor egg treatment. We did not feel like he was pushing us against our will, or trying to 'sell' us on something. It took us awhile, but we felt very comfortable with the decision we made to work with him to accomplish our goal using donor egg as our next step. NYU is also really on top of making sure you not only understand what is going on in your cycle treatment, but also helping you through every step in the process, either with phone calls or emails.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU Langone Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Aleksandra)
For this third cycle, Aleksandra has been my main nurse care coordinator. She is personable, skilled, scientific and warm. I could not be more pleased with her care and the time she has taken to answer my questions and reply to my emails. She is a true compassionate caregiver and I am very grateful.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
NYU is a large place, and there are always many people in the waiting room. Suffice to say, I have never once felt like a number at this clinic. I am always greeted with a smile by my caregivers, who call me by name, and am treated with respect. The billing process at NYU is always scary as you have to check out with full payment before you leave. Some of those bills will bill enough to give you a coronary. But hey let's face it - infertility treatment is prohibitively expensive no matter the clinic. With this in mind, I am more interested in the type of quality healthcare I get for my money. NYU has been a solid choice for us.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alan Berkeley at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
The costs are astronomical no matter where you end up going. This is the reality of infertility treatment in the US.
Describe Alan Berkeley's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
NYU uses the eSET approach unless the multiple embryo transfer is discussed first, and I believe this is used on a case by case basis. I am comfortable with the fact that Dr. Berkeley uses eSET as I am in my 40's and already at high risk if and when I conceive.
Alan Berkeley
NY - 53rd Street (Eastside)

She [Dr. Goldman] also hears me when I am weighing the costs of IVF vs continuing to do IUIs, and never pressures me about IVF. She is wonderfully steady, warm, upbeat and quick to laugh - every single attribute I personally need on this journey...smart and patient. She walks me thru every step and every outcome. She is direct but kind, and in my case has been cautiously optimistic, which is just what I need to push thru the IUI efforts. When I have asked for additional testing, she and her team provided it as well as analysis of the results.
They [nurses at NYU] are amazing, all incredibly thoughtful, warm and capable women. All encouraging of the process and mindful of all the components involved (billing, meds, travel to the clinic, scheduling.) I have felt like they have held my hand every single step of the way...The clinic is great. It's clean and the systems in place (ipad registration, open hours for bloods, etc) are well organized. Everything moves so quickly and efficiently. It takes me longer to get to 1st Avenue than my time actually spent in the clinic. THAT is incredible. My only complaint is I have no cell coverage while in the clinic. And when I log in to guest wifi I am still not connected. Seriously, my only complaint is the shoddy wifi.
How was your experience with Kara Goldman at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Dr. Goldman is smart and patient. She walks me thru every step and every outcome. She is direct but kind, and in my case has been cautiously optimistic, which is just what I need to push thru the IUI efforts. When I have asked for additional testing, she and her team provided it as well as analysis of the results. She also hears me when I am weighing the costs of IVF vs continuing to do IUIs, and never pressures me about IVF. She is wonderfully steady, warm, upbeat and quick to laugh - every single attribute I personally need on this journey.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kara Goldman at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Be honest with her. Tell her all of your concerns and the circumstances that are affecting your life in the process, as they relate to the process. For example I had a myomectomy 12 months ago and have a major concern for the medications to increase the return of uterine fibroids. She and her team have been monitoring my fibroids along the way and been thoughtful about my medications. Since I am single and pursuing this on my own, I was also upfront about the costs that I can bear and those that I can't. While she is direct with me about the best possible outcomes I NEVER feel bullied into procedures that I cannot afford. She is truly wonderful.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kara Goldman at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Dr. Goldman is thoughtful and professional, honest and warm. This business is all a mixed bag: good numbers, science mingling with miracles, data on donors, genetic testing, but through it all Dr. Goldman and her team speak to me and my life and my choices as if I am their only patient.
Describe the protocols Kara Goldman used in your cycles at NYU Langone Fertility Center and their degree of success.
1) Testing everything: all bloods, genetic testing, mammogram, cancer genetic testing, donor counseling (SO IMPORTANT), Hysteogram (spelling?, but the fallopian tube test), sperm donor genetic testing. Once everything was good, then IUIs. 2) First attempt: 100 mg of Clomid, day 3 of cycle to day 7. Then u/s and bloods, three follicles (19, 20 and 22mm), trigger shot. Return next day for IUI. Negative pregnancy. Second attempt: 100 mg of Clomid, day 3 of cycle to day 7. Then u/s and bloods, three follicles (17, 23, 24mm), trigger shot Ovidrel. Bloods one week later to test progesterone, result "as perfect as can be." Return next day for IUI. Negative pregnancy. Third attempt: will follow protocol, after a one cycle break.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU Langone Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Andrea)
They are amazing, all incredibly thoughtful, warm and capable women. All encouraging of the process and mindful of all the components involved (billing, meds, travel to the clinic, scheduling.) I have felt like they have held my hand every single step of the way.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kara Goldman at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
labs are about $150 each, IUI about $600, u/s $250, specimen handling fee $75, I believe.
Kara Goldman

2015 - 2018, Unknown Success
She [Dr. Noyes] might not be characterized as overtly warm & friendly - her manner is more grounded, straightforward, blunt. I really appreciated this about her. Her direct manner and her honest, thoughtful input (as I made the decision to try this) was what I wanted and needed. I never felt rushed with her but also her directness cut to the heart of the matter so we were not wasting time in our meetings either. I found her to have an intelligent, dry sense of humor which I appreciated. She is very no-nonsense and can seem a bit distant as a result;
How was your experience with Nicole Noyes at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
She might not be characterized as overtly warm & friendly - her manner is more grounded, straightforward, blunt. I really appreciated this about her. Her direct manner and her honest, thoughtful input (as I made the decision to try this) was what I wanted and needed. I never felt rushed with her but also her directness cut to the heart of the matter so we were not wasting time in our meetings either. I found her to have an intelligent, dry sense of humor which I appreciated. She is very no-nonsense and can seem a bit distant as a result; however, she clearly cares about her work, her patients and helping them make a baby.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Nicole Noyes at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Don't expect warm & fuzzy, but you'll get so much more that this.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Nicole Noyes at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
A few aspects of my specific situation (which also then changed from first visit in 2015 to 2017/18) made the decision to try IVF a personal challenge to work through. She actively and patiently listened to me with each visit over the several year period before deciding to try it. Without trying to sway me either way, she offered her honest input - both the statistics/facts but also (and more importantly) her experience and observations as someone who has worked with many women though this decision and process.
Describe the protocols Nicole Noyes used in your cycles at NYU Langone Fertility Center and their degree of success.
I am just about to have my retrieval (tomorrow) so unclear yet how things will go in terms of a successful cycle or not. This is my first IVF cycle but in talking with others, I think what I was on was very typical. Menopur 300, gonal-f 300 - daily for 8 days w/ antagonist Centrotide last 3-4 (?) days. Ovadril trigger shot. I am old to be trying this (45) but my hormones and all that can be tested leading up to this indicated it was still a possibility, though a long shot (Dr Noyes was clear about this but also not hopeless).
Overall i think they are too overloaded. They do very well given this, but I think it can at times compromise their focus and care. I have found them primarily to be professional, knowledgeable, friendly and understanding of the trial the IVF experience is. But I did sometimes feel shuttled through an assembly line at times. At times they seemed as grumpy as we were to be there at 7 a.m. on a Sunday.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
This has been my only experience with a fertility clinic so i don't have anything to compare it to. NYU I think is one of the larger 'factory' types of fertility clinics. And, at times I did feel that. But, that said, they do have a pretty well-oiled efficient system and I felt confident I was in good hands and that if my cycle was cancelled at any point it would not have been due to human error or balls dropped. Also, in spite of the assembly line feel at times, most of the staff (medical and administrative) I encountered were friendly and had a personality and tried to make a human connection for that brief encounter. Overall, I was impressed that everyone clearly had a sense of and respect for the difficulty & expense of this process. This was reflected in the tone of the facility and the care at each turn.
It was well orchestrated for sure. I was never there for longer than felt appropriate for what needed to happen that visit. It was not perfect (first couple times, it wasn't clear who I was seeing for the ultra sounds (a doctor, my doctor, a tech?) or what they were looking for with the first couple visits) but I advocated for myself and if asked for more info immediately got it & the nurse realized she had been too quick.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Nicole Noyes at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
it is the same as far as i know for all the docs at nyu... nyu cycle is 11,700 because I'm doing PGS (PGS is another 2-3,000 i think it is ...plus the outside lab fees)...there are other fees too. If I make it to transfer that will be 2,000 i think
Describe Nicole Noyes's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Her policy I assume is that of NYU's, which is single only - they wont do multiples. Higher risk of multiple pregnancies compromising heath and development of each other. I'd be a single mom if this works...so twins was not something I was eager to get out of this anyway.
Nicole Noyes
NY - 53rd Street (Eastside)

I'm undergoing treatments as a single mother by choice. From the beginning Dr. Noyes has shared personal anecdotes and resource suggestions that support and validate this path. She's been candid about my treatment options and built a plan that is well-suited to my situation and personal desires...If you are comfortable with a straightforward/blunt doctor that you can count on to listen to you and help you shape a plan based on your individual needs, then she is for you.
There are several nurses that handle the IUI process and all of them have been pleasant to work with. Despite treating a large number of patients, they frequently remember my name and treatment history without having to look at my chart.... I chose it because I truly believe they're experts in this field and can help me get results. Make no mistake, it [NYU - 1st Ave] is a large practice and if you meander into the office during the last 15 minutes of Morning Monitoring hours on a weekend, it's going to be standing room only and it is going to take a while to be seen.
How was your experience with Nicole Noyes at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
I like a straightforward doctor, which Dr. Noyes is. That doesn't mean she lacks compassion, just that like me, she gets to the point and I feel confident that she understands my situation and is committed to helping me get the results I want. While I am only about a third of the way through my overall fertility plan, my interactions with her so far have made me feel heard and given me hope that this process will be successful. Dr. Noyes has created a plan that perfectly aligns with the desires I shared with her, and as we've hit bumps in the road (like a miscarriage after success with my first IUI treatment), she's been compassionate and adjusted our plan accordingly.
If you are comfortable with a straightforward/blunt doctor that you can count on to listen to you and help you shape a plan based on your individual needs, then she is for you. If you need someone to hand-hold you every step of the way, she might not be... but I've found her to be a caring and comforting doctor.
I'm undergoing treatments as a single mother by choice. From the beginning Dr. Noyes has shared personal anecdotes and resource suggestions that support and validate this path. She's been candid about my treatment options and built a plan that is well-suited to my situation and personal desires to "get this done as quickly as possible." She takes the time to listen to me and always answers my full list of questions. When I miscarried, she was sympathetic, but remains positive about the likelihood of me successfully carrying to term in the future. Additionally, her assistant Alyssa is a pleasure to work with and helps me squeeze into see her or speak with her when I have questions. I have never felt like a number or like I was on a conveyor belt at her practice.
There are several nurses that handle the IUI process and all of them have been pleasant to work with. Despite treating a large number of patients, they frequently remember my name and treatment history without having to look at my chart. They've helped keep me positive about this process and frequently done a good job at answering questions before I even think to ask them.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
I believe this is a top rated clinic in the U.S. for a reason. I've had several friends have success with this practice, and I chose it because I truly believe they're experts in this field and can help me get results. Make no mistake, it is a large practice and if you meander into the office during the last 15 minutes of Morning Monitoring hours on a weekend, it's going to be standing room only and it is going to take a while to be seen. That said, all of the staff have treated me with courtesy and care and I have never been made to feel like a number - despite clearly knowing that I am one of a large number of patients.
Nicole Noyes

2018, 21 Eggs Frozen
1 Egg Freezing With Other Docs
[NYU] provides a thorough orientation session with booklets and videos to guide you through the entire process....Morning monitoring can be busy, but if you get there early, you are seen quickly and efficiently. Out of pocket prices can be on the more expensive side among NYC clinics, but I think you get what you pay for....The nursing staff was experienced, knowledgeable and easy to reach and talk to.
How was your experience with Elizabeth Fino at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Dr. Fino was very thorough and professional. She patiently explained the whole process to me including risks and benefits in great detail. I took down notes during my consultation, and by the end, I had a whole page of notes. The most important thing was that she got me an amazing result for my egg retrieval. I was 37 yo, and she managed to retrieve 23 and freeze 21! I was thrilled! I was expecting about half the number of eggs given my age. On top of that, I had requested no anesthesia to save on the cost of an anesthesiologist. Basically Dr. Fino just worked with me throughout the procedure. If it was too painful, she would pause and then continue when I was ready. Even with the pausing, she worked fast and was done in 15-20min. I'm still amazed that she retrieved that many eggs and with no anesthesia!
Bring pen and paper with you because Dr. Fino can give you a ton of information and advice! The clinic will give you booklets and written instructions, but she can you answer your specific questions very thoroughly and in detail!
Dr. Fino was excellent clinically and had a compassionate bedside manner. She was warm and friendly and answered all my questions patiently.
I used gonadal F, menopur and ovidrel for the egg retrieval and freezing.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
The nursing staff was experienced, knowledgeable and easy to reach and talk to.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
The clinic is one of the oldest IVF clinics in the country and has a lot of experience with IVF. It is very well organized. It provides a thorough orientation session with booklets and videos to guide you through the entire process. In fact, you cannot proceed with treatment unless you attend the orientation session, so they are very committed to educating you as a patient and informing you of all the risks and benefits. Morning monitoring can be busy, but if you get there early, you are seen quickly and efficiently. Out of pocket prices can be on the more expensive side among NYC clinics, but I think you get what you pay for. The price was worth it considering they got me an excellent result.
Monitoring appointments were first come, first serve from 7am to 10am. The earlier you went, the faster you could be seen. I personally liked the flexibility of having a walk-in appointment over making an appointment for a specific time.
NY - 53rd Street (Eastside)
We just did retrieval earlier this week and our numbers were good. Dr Fino noted that my wife was at risk for OHSS and carefully adjusted her medications and schedule to get the best possible results with minimal discomfort (even though this information was usually relayed to us by the nurses)...You're one-on-one time with her may be limited so always be prepared with questions. That being said, it's not difficult to reach a nurse or another doctor in the practice that can help you along the way.
There are a LOT of people doing morning monitoring at NYU Fertility right now. If you arrive at the tail end of a particularly busy day (9am, as opposed to coming closer to 7am) you could be there for 45 minutes. But the staff and operations there are generally very efficient and have everything down to a science...their costs are comparable to NYC average...Mary is the main point of contact for many of the IVF patients and she is incredible. All of the onsite nurses and professional and reliable.
How was your experience with Elizabeth Fino at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
There is nothing constructive to say about Dr Fino. She is a great communicator, pays attention to every detail in our paperwork/conversations and is extremely compassionate. We just did retrieval earlier this week and our numbers were good. Dr Fino noted that my wife was at risk for OHSS and carefully adjusted her medications and schedule to get the best possible results with minimal discomfort (even though this information was usually relayed to us by the nurses).
Dr Fino, Nurse Mary and the entire staff at NYU are fantastic. When you speak with them, you feel like you're the only patient in the world. That being said, NYU is a machine and the volume of people entrusting their fertility services can be overwhelming. In more boutique centers we visited, you can easily call or email your doctor. At NYU, you can hopefully schedule a call with them within a week.
We had completed an unsuccessful IUI with my wife's OBGYN and, given her age (almost 41) decided to move straight into IVF. With Dr Fino we timed my wife's cycle, started with the injection therapy, and did a retrieval. We are waiting to see how many viable embryos there are after day 5/6. Then the plan is to do PGS (at an outside lab) and frozen embryo transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU Langone Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Mary)
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
At the end of the day, we chose the bustling, busy operation that is NYU Fertility over a more boutique, personalized experience because of numbers. They are exceptional against the national average in terms of FET, live births, and single births. We knew what to expect and, while it would be great to be able to call/email our doctor anytime, we have been satisfied with our decision based on results so far.
We are fortunately covered for 3 cycles of IVF through insurance (but not PGS testing). From what it looks like, their costs are comparable to NYC average.
NY - 53rd Street (Eastside)
Dr Hodes-Wertz knows how to balance giving blunt diagnosis with warm bedside manner. She has never rushed me and has always spent time to listen to my concerns. I did not feel judged for any of my questions. Dr. Hodes-Wertz is both professional, talented, confident in her practice and kind...took the time to call me on a couple occasions when she needed to provide unpleasant diagnosis and spent the time to answer my questions on the phone and in person in follow up appointments.
After your initial consultation with your Doctor [at NYU], you may see multiple other Doctors in the practice during your follow up monitoring visits, egg retrieval and embryo transfers. I felt comfortable with this practice since the visits are generally very quick...The nursing staff is extraordinary at the NYU langone practice. They would always provide clear instructions about my medication and injections. I always received a return phone call, if I had questions. They were so kind during my morning monitoring. I have been spoiled by their treatment!
Dr. Hodes-Wertz is very kind and patient. She is also very smart and professional. This balance is very comforting as a patient, especially when dealing with a sensitivity of fertility. Dr. Hodes-Wertz took the time to call me on a couple occasions when she needed to provide unpleasant diagnosis and spent the time to answer my questions on the phone and in person in follow up appointments. She never made me feel judged for asking many questions about the diagnosis and treatment. I felt comfortable moving forward with a Salpingectomy because she made me feel comfortable and confident about the surgery and outcome. After getting pregnant from my first cycle of IVF and later experiencing a Pprom, Dr. Hodes-Wertz provided treatment that my OB did not offer such as an Endometrial Biopsy. I am currently in my second IVF cycle with Dr. Hodes-Wertz and I have a very hopeful outlook on a successful pregnancy due to her care.
Don't be afraid to ask her any questions. She is very patient and kind. She will provide straightforward diagnosis, but she is very kind, professional and confident in all of her treatments.
Dr. Hodes-Wertz found that I had a blocked tube and suggested a Salpingectomy in order to avoid complications with getting pregnant. She performed the surgery and I recovered so quickly that I was able to be up and about the next day. She also suggested genetic and PGS testing, which I carried through with and gave me peace of mind when I got pregnant and also when I had a PProm because I could rule out genetic factors from being the cause.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
After your initial consultation with your Doctor, you may see multiple other Doctors in the practice during your follow up monitoring visits, egg retrieval and embryo transfers. I felt comfortable with this practice since the visits are generally very quick.
I was happy with the monitoring appointments as they were from 7am to 9am and easy and quick to get to before work.
Dr. Hodes-Wertz's approach to recommend both PGS and single embryo transfer made me feel safe and confident in my pregnancy.
NY - Westside

During the consultation Dr. Licciardi was very personable and thorough in reviewing the IUI and IVf statistics with my husband and I. He was available following my unsuccessful cycles for any questions or concerns I have.... Dr. Licciardi contacted me following both failed IUI’s. He follows up to check in to see how I am feeling following the failed attempt.... 1- Gonal F with Ovidrel for 1st IUI cycle. Gonal F was chosen over clomid bc my body had previously grown cysts with Clomid.
NYU Fertility’s nursing staff is well organized. The blood and ultrasound monitoring queues are efficiently run.... Call administrators provided incorrect information regarding hours of operation. I drove and hour on Christmas eve morning only to find out the office was closed despite being told the day before that the clinic was open. The on call doctor was available through phone and was able to direct me to Columbia to complete bloodwork.
Ask questions because he is available and willing to explain.
1- Gonal F with Ovidrel for 1st IUI cycle. Gonal F was chosen over clomid bc my body had previously grown cysts with Clomid. Chemical Pregnancy. Ended having to take another Ovidrel 3 weeks post IUI to help remove cyst. 2 - Gonal F. I ended up ovulating before actually taking the Ovidrel. IUI was canceled. 3 - Switched to Menopur for follicle growth and began using cetrotide to delay ovulation.Ovidrel. No success with IUI. 4 - Menopur and will start cetrotride soon.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU Langone Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Andrea & Carol)
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Call administrators provided incorrect information regarding hours of operation. I drove and hour on Christmas eve morning only to find out the office was closed despite being told the day before that the clinic was open. The on call doctor was available through phone and was able to direct me to Columbia to complete bloodwork. It was a hectic couple of hours.
$35 copays and $100 per IUI. Medications averages around $195 per cycle.
2015 - 2018, Successful
He [Dr. Licciardi] was patient and explained everything in a way that I could understand. I never felt like a number or a statistic. He was knowledgeable and compassionate. He called me during the cycles and afterwards to discuss next steps or to congratulate when cycle took...My first cycle he utilized clomid and other meds in order to help with the stimulation. When that cycle failed (it was my second) he suggested donor eggs. The donor egg cycle worked.
It [NYU] isike any other clinic in that you need to get there early for monitoring. Results come back quickly. My only complaint is the billing department. One doesn’t know what the other one is doing and you have to call several times to resolve any issues...The nurses at the clinic were exceptional and I couldn’t have asked for a better experience...Aleksandra was a god send! She entertained my craziness and made me feel so comfortable.
He was patient and explained everything in a way that I could understand. I never felt like a number or a statistic. He was knowledgeable and compassionate. He called me during the cycles and afterwards to discuss next steps or to congratulate when cycle took.
Have your questions ready and be open to any course of action proposed.
I appreciated that Dr Licciardi took the time to explain everything to me and contact me throughout the cycle. The nurses at the clinic were exceptional and I couldn’t have asked for a better experience
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU Langone Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Aleksandra )
Aleksandra was a god send! She entertained my craziness and made me feel so comfortable. Even after I left their care, she emailed me just to see how I am progressing w my pregnancy.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
It isike any other clinic in that you need to get there early for monitoring. Results come back quickly. My only complaint is the billing department. One doesn’t know what the other one is doing and you have to call several times to resolve any issues.
He goes for single embryo transfer initially.
NY - 53rd Street (Eastside)
He [Dr. James Grifo] always made me feel like I was important. It didn’t matter how busy he was, he made sure to answer all my questions and not rush my appointments... was an absolute genius in his field. Not only was he brilliant and ready to make changes so that I could achieve the best possible results, he was also kind, compassionate and caring. He knew how nervous I was and always made sure to calm me down and be the positivity that I needed.
They are very busy [at NYU] , but the whole process runs smoothly. You will get the best treatment and that is what is most important...I recommend getting to early morning monitoring before 8:55am because otherwise you will have a wait. If you have a question, ask. A nurse will always get right back to you. They really have your best interest at heart. This is a hard process but they are all there to help you every step of the way.
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Dr. Grifo was an absolute genius in his field. Not only was he brilliant and ready to make changes so that I could achieve the best possible results, he was also kind, compassionate and caring. He knew how nervous I was and always made sure to calm me down and be the positivity that I needed.
Trust him. Even if you don’t like what he has to say, trust that he will do everything he can to get you a baby.
He always made me feel like I was important. It didn’t matter how busy he was, he made sure to answer all my questions and not rush my appointments.
Follistem, Menipour, clomid, trigger shot
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
They are very busy, but the whole process runs smoothly. You will get the best treatment and that is what is most important. The lab is one of the best in the city. Know that this is important. I recommend getting to early morning monitoring before 8:55am because otherwise you will have a wait. If you have a question, ask. A nurse will always get right back to you. They really have your best interest at heart. This is a hard process but they are all there to help you every step of the way.
It was covered under my insurance. I only had to pay for PGS testing. Once I was pregnant I had to pay for the sonograms.
NY - 53rd Street (Eastside)

The first thing Dr. Licciardi said to me at our initial consult was, "it looks like you have been on a long road, and I know how difficult that is." It was a simple acknowledgment but exactly what I needed to hear....Dr. Licciardi is one of the top in his field, but does not have the arrogance that sometimes comes with that. He is patient, and caring. He takes the time to listen and explain. Though we did not see him at most appointments, we spoke to him often and felt comfortable that he was overseeing our treatment throughout.
Overall, the nurses [at NYU] were very helpful. We did part of our cycle remotely and most of the nurses went the extra mile, following up with our local lab to ensure they got the blood work in a timely way. The nurses were knowledgable and caring....I went about an hour into the monitoring hours, after the morning rush but before the latecomers. I don't think I waited more than 15 minutes any morning. Very efficient.... NYU is large, and it is important for you to advocate for yourself.
Dr. Licciardi is one of the top in his field, but does not have the arrogance that sometimes comes with that. He is patient, and caring. He takes the time to listen and explain. Though we did not see him at most appointments, we spoke to him often and felt comfortable that he was overseeing our treatment throughout. We were not from NY, and Dr. Licciardi worked with us, to enable us to do part of our cycle with my local Dr. Dr. Licciardi does lecture around the world so he is not always in the office, but even when traveling his staff can usually reach him,
Ask questions. He offers the information the average person wants to hear, but if you are like me and want to understand all the details, ask him to elaborate. He will, and he will explain it clearly until you are satisfied. Also, you can't separate him from the NYU, the clinic that he practices in - NYU is large, and it is important for you to advocate for yourself. However, we were happy with almost all the nurses and staff there and always knew we could go directly to Dr. Licciardi with questions or concerns.
The first thing Dr. Licciardi said to me at our initial consult was, "it looks like you have been on a long road, and I know how difficult that is." It was a simple acknowledgment but exactly what I needed to hear. His caring demeanor continued throughout our treatment. When he spoke with us, he explained his recommendations and patiently answered our many questions.
We had MF (low sperm count) and FF (PCOS). We came to Dr. Licciardi after having done a surgery for MF, monitored cycles and IUIs and having had one miscarrigae. We knew we wanted to move on to IVF. Dr. Licciardi recommended a basic IVF protocol - gonal-f, PIO, ganirelix, doxycycline, ovidrel trigger - as our medical presentation made us good candidates for a basic cycle. Thankfully, he was right. We were able to transfer 1 fresh embryo, and froze 5 all of which were BB or above. We failed the fresh cycle - I believe my body was just too traumatized from all the meds of the cycle. We took a month break and came back for a FET, which was successful.
We dealt with many nurses and there was only one we didn't care for. Overall, the nurses were very helpful. We did part of our cycle remotely and most of the nurses went the extra mile, following up with our local lab to ensure they got the blood work in a timely way. The nurses were knowledgable and caring. Again, NYU is a large clinic and it is important when dealing with so many different people that you are your own advocate and make sure the nurse you are speaking with is aware of the full picture.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
NYU is top center. It may have been overwhelming for us if it was the first stop on our fertility journey. By the time we got to NYU, we were reassured to be in a place with top doctors and labs, and were fine with not having the amenities of a concierge practice. If you are just starting out and using NYU it may be more challenging, though I would still recommend them. We had a consult in another top clinic, and we found NYU to be a lot more caring and small-feel despite its prominence.
12,600 for IVF cycle + 3000 for ICSI + 1000(?) for embryo storage
From what I understand, Dr. Licciardi feels strongly that it is safer to transfer one embryo, and rarely recommends transferring multiple. We discussed this at length with him prior to our FET, and ultimately trusted his judgment and transferred one.

2017, 32 Eggs Frozen
Dr. Hodes has an excellent bed side manner because she replies promptly, listens fully to concerns and takes the time to explain her answers. She never seemed overly worried and was honest and transparent about things like the risk of engaging in exercise throughout the process. I don't think Dr. Hodes could have done anything better at all really. I recommend my friends to her. On the doctors, maybe what specifically made her bedside manner so good. How did she adjust the protocol from the first to the second treatment. Did she air on the side of conservatism or do you think she was pretty aggressive. Anything she could do differently that would make her better.
NYU is an egg freezing machine that kinda feels like a MedSpa.There, I did not always see my doctor for ultrasounds throughout the process, but whoever was on staff, and all of the doctors I had were very nice and talked me through what they were seeing on my ultrasound as well as how much longer they thought I had in the process...I liked the West Side location for blood and ultrasound much better because there was never any wait like there can be on the East and you can go right before 9am (not so early as the East side) and be out by 9:15am. I found it more efficient, faster and easier for me since I live on the West side.
Utilize the west side clinic.
In my first cycle, I was on the cusp of having retrieval a day sooner or later. Dr. Hodes opted for later and thus 3 of the 20 eggs I got were "over baked"; however, 3 were still under baked. In the second cycle, I was ready for retrieval two days sooner than the first, so I got less hormones and a better result of freeing 18 eggs out of 23 retrieved. I am not sure if my body just produced better the second time, or Dr. Hodes used her learnings from the first time to make the second time more efficient.
The nurses as well are very nice and knowledgable. They are friendly, yet do there best to get you in and out as quickly as possible. They definitely have their process down to a T.
NY - Westside

kara [Goldman] was one of the best doctors I have ever interacted with. She was compassionate and realistic. She advised where required and told us when a decision had to be ours. She was patient with us and always willing to answer questions and spend the necessary time. She made a difficult situation as comfortable as possible...She was great. Patient, realistic and always professiona...She skipped IUI and went directly to retrieval
The clinic [NYU] is great. The only issue is that you see a different doctor everyday and that the appointments check-ins can be tough. There were a couple billing issues and the billing situation was very difficult to navigate...Great nursing staff. Always helpful, compassionate and informative. Only issue with 1 nurse over the 10-15 we saw over a 5 month period.... It can get very busy and take a lot of time. Once we learned to "game" the system and show up early or late it was better.
How was your experience with Kara Goldman at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
kara was one of the best doctors I have ever interacted with. She was compassionate and realistic. She advised where required and told us when a decision had to be ours. She was patient with us and always willing to answer questions and spend the necessary time. She made a difficult situation as comfortable as possible.
Feel free to ask as many questions as possible. Note however that there is always a lot of information, but you will have multiple opportunities to go over everything at each step.
She was great. Patient, realistic and always professiona
She skipped IUI and went directly to retrieval. The issue we had was a shortage of eggs, so she was realistic and didnt want to waste our time and money. During the second retrieval she changed one of the meds and our result was not as good, so she quickly changed course for the third retrieval and our result was better. She also advised to do a frozen transfer as the technology was such that it would increase the genetic screening and increase our chances for an ultimate live birth. She also said she highly recommended only a single transfer as we did a frozen transfer and there was no need to to do multiples as we already know the embryo is viable, rather than the 40-50% chance of a viable embryo transfer.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
The clinic is great. The only issue is that you see a different doctor everyday and that the appointments check-ins can be tough. There were a couple billing issues and the billing situation was very difficult to navigate.
It was somewhere in between. It can get very busy and take a lot of time. Once we learned to "game" the system and show up early or late it was better.
About $20,000 -25,000 per retrieval all in (including meds) and $5,000 for the transfer. This is probably too simplistic as it was a very complicated process.
Describe Kara Goldman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
She definitely pushed for eSET as we did a frozen transfer and the embryo was already tested and viable. It got us out of the 40-50% viability with a fresh transfer. Also we were very clear we did not want twins.
What specific things went wrong at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
There was one point where they called the Pharmacy late and given the time sensitivity of some of the medications this added some stress.
Kara Goldman
NY - 53rd Street (Eastside)
Be prepared to work with her team more than her [Dr. Hodes-Wertz]...I came to Dr. Hodes-Wertz with PCOS. I was not ovulating and my parter had sub-optimal sperm. I was put on a dosage of Letrozole. The first dosage wasn't enough, but an increased dosage got me ovulating. We were able to use a washed sample of my partner's sperm to do IUI. The whole process was very quick and efficient - only 3.5 weeks from my first visit with Dr. Hodes until the IUI. The IUI was successful and I am now 7 weeks pregnant with twins!
They [NYU] are incredibly efficient and very good at communicating. Even though there are a lot of appointments (bloodwork, ultrasounds, etc.) they get you in and out quickly and you get your results in a very timely manner. You might feel like a number at times, but they are efficient and they successfully got me pregnant...I was seen in 2 different offices. The smaller west side office on W 52nd Street was wonderful. The team is small and very friendly. When I called or came in to the office they knew exactly who I was. I also had to go to the main NYU Fertility center on 1st Ave for blood work and ultrasounds. At the main facility I was just a number. They are incredibly efficient and move people through quickly, but it means that each time I saw different people and to them I was just a name on a piece of paper.
I only saw Dr. Hodes-Wertz 3 times during my treatment, but found her to be very informative with good bedside manner. After our first meeting with her we felt very confident that she knew what she was doing and we were in good hands.
Be prepared to work with her team more than her.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU Langone Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Andrea )
The NYU Fertility Center nursing staff is amazing. After each visit I received a follow up call within 24 hours with test results and instructions on next steps. They were all very warm, informative, and efficient over the phone. I talked to nurses more regularly than seeing them.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
They are incredibly efficient and very good at communicating. Even though there are a lot of appointments (bloodwork, ultrasounds, etc.) they get you in and out quickly and you get your results in a very timely manner. You might feel like a number at times, but they are efficient and they successfully got me pregnant.
Dr. Hodes-Wertz accepted my insurance so I had minimal out of pocket costs. Most of my co-pays were for bloodwork and tests.
NY - Westside
He [Dr. Grifo] was so personal and personable. He humanized this entire, gut-wrenching process of IVF. While being very data driven and showing us statistics regarding success rates at my age and ovarian reserve level, Dr. Grifo also said I was heroic for undergoing such procedures and to stop blaming myself. He shared his personal story of infertility and feelings of helplessness and failure.. During the process, my meds were customized and monitored daily
NYU has a smaller clinic on the Westside of Manhattan that was a life saver for me w/ all of the early morning blood draws and ultrasounds...The nurses were accommodating (arriving early for me), sympathetic and I truly felt like they were rooting for me. They were always patient and kind...Despite the size and being part of an academic institution, I never felt like a number at NYU. My treatments were so customized and the Drs and nurses so personal, I felt like they really knew me. The technology was also great; iPads to sign in quickly, online secure emails and online videos to help w/ injections.
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Dr Grifo was transparent from the get go about our chances of success. He used data regularly to supplement his commentary. He was so, so human and made us feel like heroes for undertaking IVF, as opposed to failures who couldn't conceive. He shared his own story of infertility and all of the associated feelings. I felt so comfortable from that first visit; I was depressed, angry and confused, and Dr Grifo was understanding of each of these emotions and offered suggestions to help. He never made me feel like just a number. He was patient in person and by phone, always answering our questions and personalizing his advice.
Go sooner rather than later.
From the initial visit, it was clear Dr. Grifo was different. He was so personal and personable. He humanized this entire, gut-wrenching process of IVF. While being very data driven and showing us statistics regarding success rates at my age and ovarian reserve level, Dr. Grifo also said I was heroic for undergoing such procedures and to stop blaming myself. He shared his personal story of infertility and feelings of helplessness and failure; can you even imagine a pioneer of IVF feeling like this, let alone admitting it? He made me and my husband feel hopeful, but again he utilized data to explain his beliefs and confidence. During the process, my meds were customized and monitored daily (this was certainly not the case at the prior clinic where we went through three, unsuccessful egg retrievals. The nurses were supremely confident, down to earth and competent. Furthermore, I felt like they were rooting for me and knew me. The Dr who performed the transfer (not Grifo) was incredible; she was realistic, yet optimistic and spoke to me like a real human (not just #7 transfer today).
While at first my protocol looked similar to the prior clinic we'd used for 3 rounds of eggs retrievals (all unsuccessful), I quickly saw that NYU was different. The nurses and Drs were constantly evaluating and tweaking my dosage. I took clomid pills, menapur injections, ganerilex injections and double trigger shots. For the transfer there was vaginal and oral estogren pills, as well as other injections. I produced 21 eggs for retrieval, 3 survived until day 5 and 2 tested normal w/ PGS. We transferred 1 embryo and I'm due to have a baby in less than 6 weeks.
NYU has a smaller clinic on the Westside of Manhattan that was a life saver for me w/ all of the early morning blood draws and ultrasounds. I have to be at work by 8am and going to NYU on the East side would've been very stressful. The nurses were accommodating (arriving early for me), sympathetic and I truly felt like they were rooting for me. They were always patient and kind.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Dr Grifo did not accept my primary insurance (Cigna) but did take my secondary (UHC). Many things were covered, but this was our fourth egg retrieval in 1 calendar year so we didn't have a lot of coverage left. Out of pocket was ICSI and PGS, and they charged you in advance and refunded the difference (if fewer embryos made/tested).
We had 2 PGS tested embryos at the end of the retrieval and asked Dr Grifo his thoughts on transferring both. He strongly preferred transferring one, saying odds for pregnancy wouldn't increase w/ 2 and given my age (39) why risk both taking and having an even higher risk pregnancy. His rationale was, would you be more upset to not have a 3rd child or lose both and not get the 2nd you've been trying for all this time.

2015 - 2017, Successful
Dr Grifo is a very straight forward, compassionate and efficient doctor. He is open to questions, and will explain the procedures. He doesn't waist time but will leave you time to process your options and the emotional components involved...I had 2 retrievals, 2 transfers and I now have 2 children...thanks doctor Grifo for his eSET approach to keep a safe pregnancy but also a gentle "fourth trimester".
The [NYU Langone Fertility] center felt exactly the contrary of an industry. I often saw doctor Grifo, all the doctors and nurses knew me, knew my name and my fertility journey, and all were very helpful and compassionate...The clinic is clean, friendly and comfortable. The organization is well functioning. It is easy to access in Manhattan and part of a major hospital (NYU). The billing department could be their weakness.
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
To do the embryo screening (PGD/PGS).
The center felt exactly the contrary of an industry. I often saw doctor Grifo, all the doctors and nurses knew me, knew my name and my fertility journey, and all were very helpful and compassionate.
IVF, day 5 embryo PGD/PGS and transfer of a frozen single embryo. For each retrieval (11 eggs at 38 years old and 14 eggs at 40 years old) there was each time only 1 chromosomally normal embryo. I had 2 retrievals, 2 transfers and I now have 2 children.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU Langone Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Maribel Feliciano)
The coordinator and nurses were really good. The follow-up during the treatment was excellent, and I never felt I didn't know what I was doing or supposed to do. All instructions were very clear and nurses were easy to reach.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
It was an efficient well oiled system. Monitoring was in the morning between 7am and 9am and the wait was short.
All was covered by my insurance. PGD/PGS was around $4000
I agree and thanks doctor Grifo for his eSET approach to keep a safe pregnancy but also a gentle "fourth trimester".