LGBTQ+ Competent Care
LGBTQ+ Competent Care

Based on reviews from the LGBTQ+ community.

9.7
9.7
LGBTQ+ Care

Ratings of 1 indicate an unsatisfactory LGBTQ+ care.

Ratings of 10 indicate an excellent LGBTQ+ care.

159 East 53rd St, 3rd Floor
NY - Westside
109 West 27th St, 9th Floor
Westchester
132 Parkway Road, Floor 2
Bronxville, NY 10708

2020 - 2021, Successful
LGBTQ+
Dr. Grifo spent a lot of time explaining, in blunt terms, the chances of a successful IVF given my age. (We are a same-sex couple, so IVF was our only option really to conceive). He explained the process and the protocol he'd use at our initial consultation. After that, we didn't see Dr. Grifo again — patients at NYU Fertility will see other doctors during monitoring and for procedures, which makes you feel more like a number than a patient of one specific doctor. It's also unclear if the doctor personally reviews monitoring results and makes decisions or if the doctor you see during monitoring is making decisions about next steps. That was never clear to me.
during monitoring [at NYU Langone Fertility Center] you may see a different nurse as there are multiple women waiting each morning. You'd get a quick blood draw and they would review instructions for drugs etc., This was when you had a chance to ask any questions. They would call in the afternoon with instructions based on your blood results...There's a $4,600 fee that you have to pay up front to cover biopsies. After you're done at the clinic, you get a refund for any unused funds. It took me MONTHS to get the refund and had to repeatedly follow up in order to get any update...
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
If you want to speak to Dr. Grifo you should push for that. Otherwise, you will only ever deal his assistants and with other doctors and nurses you see along the way.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
I went to Dr. Grifo because he came highly recommended from another friend/patient. He obviously knows what he's doing and has tons and tons of experience however, apart from our initial consultations and video calls with Dr. Grifo after the first failed cycle, we never had any interactions with him. I saw a different doctor or fellow during monitoring and Dr. DeVore did my transfers both times. I'm also not entirely sure my monitoring data was ever personally reviewed by Grifo to determine course of action.
Describe the protocols James Grifo used in your cycles at NYU Langone Fertility Center and their degree of success.
On our first cycle, I was on 300 of Gonal F and 150 of Menopur and Clomid, Cetrotide and a combo of Ovidrel and Lupron for the trigger shot. This resulted in 6 eggs being retrieved, 4 of which were successfully fertilized using ICSI, 2 were biopsied, there were no viable embryos first cycle. Second cycle, I took Lupron from the start and alternated between Gonal F and Menopur starting on the 4th day. Ovidrel for the trigger shot, 6 eggs retrieved, 4 embryos, 4 biopsied, 1 healthy embryo, 1 segmented-mosaic. The healthy embryo resulted in a baby girl!
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
during monitoring you may see a different nurse as there are multiple women waiting each morning. You'd get a quick blood draw and they would review instructions for drugs etc., This was when you had a chance to ask any questions. They would call in the afternoon with instructions based on your blood results. They were all friendly, some more than others, but no complaints.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
The waiting room is nice and open and the check in process was organized. Sometimes, they'd not call you in in the order you arrived, so after waiting a very long time I would go to the back to check in. This only happened once or twice otherwise I was called in quickly on most days.
Describe the costs associated with your care under James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
There's a $4,600 fee that you have to pay up front to cover biopsies. After you're done at the clinic, you get a refund for any unused funds. It took me MONTHS to get the refund and had to repeatedly follow up in order to get any update. It was not easy to get the refund and if I hadn't persisted I don't think I would have seen the money.
Describe James Grifo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
I trusted and agreed with Dr. Grifo's advice that we should only transfer a single embryo and that's what we did.

2020 - 2021, Successful
2 Egg Freezing With Other Docs
Dr. DeVore is empathetic and I never felt rushed when I saw her in person or spoke to her...Compassionate, empathetic, responsive, tailors your treatment to you, willing to try new things, willing to listen to your concerns/suggestions yet will provide her thoughts/take on it, interacts with you instead of solely relying on the nurses/staff...
NYU is a well-oiled machine. They are equipped to handle their volume of patients and although I often felt like a number during morning monitoring due to the number of other patients, most of the nurses were very warm and pleasant. It is helpful to go earlier (closer to 7am) during morning monitoring hours -- you will be in and out as opposed to scheduling closer to 9am...
How was your experience with Shannon DeVore at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Absolutely love her. I have recommended her to three of my close friends. She is everything you would want in a fertility doctor. Compassionate, empathetic, responsive, tailors your treatment to you, willing to try new things, willing to listen to your concerns/suggestions yet will provide her thoughts/take on it, interacts with you instead of solely relying on the nurses/staff. I wish I had started my egg freezing journey with her and didn't just go with a name/title as I did for my first doctor, which came recommended by my gyno and a friend that works on the admin side of the NYU hospital system. I had an unquestionably better experience with Dr. DeVore and am so happy I switched to her.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Shannon DeVore at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
She will be your guide and friend throughout this difficult process, so treat her with kindness and she will be there for you every step of the way. Don't be afraid to bring your perspective and suggestions based on your own research and reading -- she is open to hearing your ideas and is not dismissive like other doctors can be.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Shannon DeVore at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Dr. DeVore is empathetic and I never felt rushed when I saw her in person or spoke to her. She was willing to experiment and try different protocols when it became clear my past protocols were only producing a minimum number of eggs. I felt like she understood my concerns with my past experience with another doctor and was open to hearing my suggestions based on research I had done, instead of shutting it down quickly like my previous doctor had. Infertility is still a developing field of science so I appreciated that she was open minded since I was desperate for different results and standard protocols were not working well for me. She is extremely responsive and I appreciated that she often called me herself (rather than have a nurse call) to give me an update or my results.
Describe the protocols Shannon DeVore used in your cycles at NYU Langone Fertility Center and their degree of success.
Prior to starting with Dr. DeVore, I had done two cycles with another doctor in the practice using first an antagonist protocol with clomid (resulting in 3 M-2) and second a microdose lupron protocol (resulting in 2 M-2 and 2 M-1). The results were mediocre so Dr. DeVore experimented with different protocols, including having me come in as soon the same morning I started spotting versus day 2 (with day 1 being full flow) with my previous doctor. Our rounds together included the following. I appreciated that after each of the first two rounds, we tried something different since the protocol wasn't producing the results we were hoping for. The number of eggs retrieved given my age were soul crushingly low. Round 1: Antagonist (300 Gonal F, 300 Menopur). Results: 1 M-2, 1 GV, 1 unable to be retrieved Round 2: Low dose antagonist with Clomid (75 Gonal F, 75 Menopur) Results: 1 M-2, 1 M-1 and 1 GV Round 3: Microdose lupron with Omnitrope for first 5 days (5 MDL, 300 Gonal F, 150 Menopur) Results: 6 M-2 and 1 GV Round 4: Microdose lupron with Omnitrope for first 5 days (5 MDL, 300 Gonal F, 150 Menopur) Results: 4 M-2 Round 5: Microdose lupron with Omnitrope for first 5 days (5 MDL, 300 Gonal F, 150 Menopur) Results: 6 M-2, 3 GV Round 3 was my best round yet so we appeared to have found a protocol that worked for me, so we stuck with it for rounds 3-5.
Here's where I did feel like a number sometimes given how many people they saw but I appreciate that they always had the correct info and I never questioned their competence or attention to detail. I did hate that I always had to leave a message with a central answering service to talk to a nurse but I appreciate that the nurses were pretty timely in giving me a call back.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Efficient and well-oiled machine. I was a seasoned pro having done 7 cycles so I appreciated being able to get in and out relatively quickly. Just know that you will not always see your doctor during monitoring -- it depends on what day you are scheduled to come in based off your own body/results and which doctor is on call that day. But I appreciated that I always knew Dr. DeVore was reviewing my results behind the scenes and she would often give me a call re: next steps if she did not see me for monitoring that day.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Shannon DeVore at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
$9,200 for first round of egg freezing, $8,200 for each subsequent round. These included all morning monitoring, blood tests, retrieval, etc. other than anesthesia. Medication was separate.
Describe Shannon DeVore's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
NY - 53rd Street (Eastside)

Dr. Devore is exceptional. She went above and beyond for me on several occasions...I could not use my own eggs due to fragile x premature ovarian failure and she was very supportive of my donor egg search...I used their portal to ask many questions and she always got back to me...My first transfer resulted in an ectopic pregnancy and she immediately reached out to an excellent NYU surgeon to fit me into his schedule...
NYU was excellent. They provided me with an amazing egg donor. The doctors and staff are exceptional. They are efficient, compassionate...The nurses were friendly, efficient, and very competent. They took blood samples, handled scheduling the many visits, answered many of my questions. -The only negative is that there was not enough training on progesterone oil shots that we give ourselves at home. I needed more instruction...
How was your experience with Shannon DeVore at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Dr. Devore is exceptional. She went above and beyond for me on several occasions. I am extremely grateful and happy with her care. -I could not use my own eggs due to fragile x premature ovarian failure and she was very supportive of my donor egg search. She was kind and easy to talk to about that. I was also using donor sperm so I was a double donor IVF candidate. -I had had consultations with 3 other fertility doctors before her and they seemed arrogant and egocentric to me. I thought it was every doctor in the fertility field before I met Dr. Devore. She has somehow remained approachable. She made me feel like we were on the same level, for lack of a better term. -She explained each step thoroughly and answered all of my questions. I have some autoimmune issues and was concerned that they might play a role. I also was slightly neurotic about all of it and she was patient with me throughout. She was straightforward about the likelihood that each step would work. -I used their portal to ask many questions and she always got back to me. Many of the steps are time-sensitive so her timeliness was critical. -She was open to my feedback about my meds regimen. As it turned out, her instinct was correct, not mine. -My first transfer resulted in an ectopic pregnancy and she immediately reached out to an excellent NYU surgeon to fit me into his schedule. Amazing! That was above and beyond. -She then helped me to quickly arrange another transfer (after the healing period) before NYU’s one-month holiday break, rather than making me wait until after the break. Again, amazing! The second transfer worked and I’m looking at my 4-month old daughter right now. -When I asked her for ob recommendations at the end, she recommended Cornell b/c she had heard that they opened a new labor/delivery center that had all single beds. I really appreciated that extra assistance and it turned out to be amazing advice. -I had a hematoma with my second transfer. nyu was amazing - i reported the bleeding to them at 10pm and they gave me a 7am appt the next morning. They took a look and said I was still totally pregnant and the baby was fine. I think the dr that day was not dr devore but she was wonderful as well. -I could not be happier with the care I received from Dr. Devore
-ask all your questions, even the ones you think are silly or obvious. she will answer them all. -go with her instinct rather than yours. she is very experienced and has great judgement. -If it applies to you, do some egg and sperm donor research beforehand, specifically about genetic problems and testing for those.
-Fertility was an emotional topic for me and Dr. Devore was wonderful, so kind and easy to talk to. I was never felt embarrassed with her; I was comfortable the whole time. -I could not use my own eggs due to fragile x premature ovarian failure and she was very supportive of my donor egg search. -She answered all of my questions, sometimes multiple times, with patience. -She was honest about the likelihood of each outcome -Our meds regimen was specific to my medical situation. She was open to feedback about it. I never felt like a number. -Dr. Devore is a fantastic doctor
context: I was coming from early menopause, caused by fragile x premature ovarian failure so I likely needed more estrogen than most. -you go in for ultrasounds regularly throughout to measure the thickness of your uterus. -my first step was to to thicken my lining with a birth control pill for 11 days. I believe this was to simulate a menstrual cycle. -i took the following (am uncertain of order): blue estrogen pills inserted vaginally, estrogen patches, progesterone suppositories, progesterone oil injections (first in sesame oil, then olive oil when I developed an allergy to the sesame oil). -we added baby aspirin and low doses of prednisone for the second transfer but I don't think in hindsight they were really necessary. They were at my request due to some autoimmune issues I have but I think it would have worked without them and if I have another child, I would skip those.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU Langone Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Jean-ann mckiernan)
-I have nearly all positive things to say about the nursing staff. The nurses were friendly, efficient, and very competent. They took blood samples, handled scheduling the many visits, answered many of my questions. -The only negative is that there was not enough training on progesterone oil shots that we give ourselves at home. I needed more instruction and support and mostly got it from facebook which should not be the case. I asked one of the nurses to draw circles on me where I should give myself the shots and she drew them at different places on my right and left sides, which confused me further. They should be the same spot on my left and right side. but apart from that, they are excellent. -The egg donor coordination team was wonderful! They are compassionate and competent. There was one small communication blip over email that they very quickly corrected. -The billing department was wonderful! No issues at all.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
NYU was excellent. They provided me with an amazing egg donor. The doctors and staff are exceptional. They are efficient, compassionate. The offices were spotless. They took covid precautions seriously. They are meticulous. I have no complaints at all, except the one issue I mentioned about the nurses not training us enough on home injections. They are the best and I'd recommend them to my best friend. I am so grateful I lived near them and was able to use them.
I believe Dr. Devore doesn't recommend multiples. I had heard that the new standard for all doctors was not to do them because it is higher risk.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
It was nothing serious at all. I think once or twice I called them to get my results because they weren't sent to me fast enough. But it was not a big issue.
NY - 53rd Street (Eastside)

NYU [Langone Fertility Center] is very efficient. The number of patients can be very intimidating so it is really important to have a good relationship with your doctor - otherwise you can feel like a number. With Dr. DeVore I always felt like I was her most important patient and I imagine she makes everyone feel that way.
How was your experience with Shannon DeVore at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Dr. DeVore is literally an angel. She was my second fertility doctor and I started with her at a point when I was feeling really down about my circumstances. I have a genetic condition that my husband and I were trying to screen and then found out that I have diminished ovarian reserve. The combination of the two made me feel like there was no chance for success. From the first time I spoke with Dr. DeVore I knew I had the right person on my team. She is brilliant, compassionate and values the doctor/patient relationship. Because of the genetic factors I completed multiple egg retrievals - my first cycle was the best one and I (being superstitious) wanted to recreate that cycle as closely as possible heading into my last one. That included being on birth control when it wasn't necessary and waiting an extra day before starting stims (which is rather unorthodox). Instead of brushing me off, Dr. DeVore welcomed my thoughts and believed that my instincts were valid. She really listened and as a result I had another very successful cycle. Dr. DeVore checked in on me often and made a point to be there for my scans whenever possible. She consoled me when a cycle didn't go well and celebrated the victories as if she was one of my closest friends. I truly believe that she made all the difference in my journey.
No advice - just know that you picked the best doctor ever.
I am a patient that needs a lot of hand holding - to understand test results, next steps and all my options. Dr. DeVore always went out of her way to make sure that my questions were answered (no matter how many times I asked the same thing) and made herself really available throughout the process. She never made me feel like I was bothering her or second guessing her medical advice - it was a true partnership and I always felt like I was really being heard.
For some reason I had great results using birth control and a slightly delayed start. Makes no sense but it worked!
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
NYU is very efficient. The number of patients can be very intimidating so it is really important to have a good relationship with your doctor - otherwise you can feel like a number. With Dr. DeVore I always felt like I was her most important patient and I imagine she makes everyone feel that way.
Single embryo
NY - 53rd Street (Eastside)

Dr. DeVore treated me with kindness and compassion throughout every step of my fertility journey. She listened and never made me feel like my concerns or anxieties were invalid or not worthy of her time. She is truly one of the first physicians that I ever felt really listened to me...Fertility treatment is hard and it takes time and a lot of tears to get a place of joy. I couldn't have asked for a more compassionate, caring, and intelligent doctor to be paired with on this journey. There aren't enough words to describe my gratitude to Dr. DeVore.
I would have likely benefited from more of an introduction to the clinics services as a whole [at NYU Langone Fertility Center], ie. who to call for what kind of question, but I quickly figured out how things worked. I had a couple of upsetting experiences seeing other doctors during morning monitoring, but with the amount of appointments I had, those were very much the exception. Overall, the clinic's strengths far outweigh its minimal weaknesses.
How was your experience with Shannon DeVore at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
When my fertility journey began at NYU I was given an appointment with Dr. DeVore, in part because she had availability at the time I requested. It was only minutes into my first appointment with Dr. DeVore that I got the feeling that I was assigned to the doctor who I was meant to be on this journey with. Fertility treatment is hard and it takes time and a lot of tears to get a place of joy. I couldn't have asked for a more compassionate, caring, and intelligent doctor to be paired with on this journey. There aren't enough words to describe my gratitude to Dr. DeVore.
Know that there are moments of this journey that can be harder than others, but TRUST that you're in the greatest hands possible.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU Langone Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Aleksandra Kostyra)
Aleks was incredibly thorough. If she wasn't available to respond to questions, someone else on her team would follow-up. She never made me feel like I had a "dumb" question and was always willing to explain different aspects of my protocol that I was unsure of.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
The team at NYU seems to have their practice down to a science. Just one visit during morning monitoring can show you just how many moving pieces there are how many patients the clinic is working with at any given time. Some mornings were a breeze, but the majority I spent significantly longer in the lobby waiting than I would have liked, despite set arrival times. That part can get quite frustrating, but it always seemed like the team was doing their best to try to manage. I would have likely benefited from more of an introduction to the clinics services as a whole, ie. who to call for what kind of question, but I quickly figured out how things worked. I had a couple of upsetting experiences seeing other doctors during morning monitoring, but with the amount of appointments I had, those were very much the exception. Overall, the clinic's strengths far outweigh its minimal weaknesses.
None of my donor related expenses were covered - ie. anything related to donor egg and sperm. In addition to those expenses, PGS testing, copays, etc. - my final cost was approximately $30,000
NY - 53rd Street (Eastside)

[Dr. DeVore] does a good job of balancing giving you information you need but not overloading you with every detail. At a large clinic like NYU, she is available, and would always call me back in a timely manner and give me the time I needed to feel comfortable with our conversations...If you want to see Dr. DeVore more often, be willing to go to the West Side location when she is there--it is also a lot smaller, which is awesome--I was able to see Dr. DeVore for a lot of my monitoring visits by being flexible on location and asking the scheduling nurse where she would be.
NYU is a big clinic, so you need to be ready to advocate yourself and be organized. It can be confusing at first to figure out how everything works and who initiates things, so be prepared to call your Patient Care Coordinator until you get the answers you need. If you want your hand held through everything this might not be the place for you...Your RE is unlikely to be the one doing your procedures (egg retrieval, transfer) unless you are lucky enough to have then on the day they are doing procedures...[nurses] are always friendly and compassionate, and will answer your questions when they call with updates/details.
How was your experience with Shannon DeVore at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Dr. DeVore is a wonderful doctor. Throughout my treatment with her I have felt like I was getting great care. She does a good job of balancing giving you information you need but not overloading you with every detail. At a large clinic like NYU, she is available, and would always call me back in a timely manner and give me the time I needed to feel comfortable with our conversations. Additionally, it is possible to see her more often as her nurses do a great job of telling you where she will be for monitoring visits so you can adjust your location (East Side or West Side) which I really appreciated!
Dr. Devore really cares about her patients. She is available despite being in a large clinic, and always takes the time needed to make you feel comfortable with the path forward.
Clomid, Gonal-F, Menopur, Cetrotide, Dual trigger
I LOVE the nurses at NYU Fertility. They are always friendly and compassionate, and will answer your questions when they call with updates/details. The nurses on the 6th floor for retrievals/transfer are awesome and always made me feel at ease.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
NYU is a big clinic, so you need to be ready to advocate yourself and be organized. It can be confusing at first to figure out how everything works and who initiates things, so be prepared to call your Patient Care Coordinator until you get the answers you need. If you want your hand held through everything this might not be the place for you. The East Side location is huge and a bit more impersonal. If you want a smaller feel I highly recommend going to the West Side for morning monitoring--it is a smaller and more intimate office and you will see your RE if you go on the days that they are there. Your RE is unlikely to be the one doing your procedures (egg retrieval, transfer) unless you are lucky enough to have then on the day they are doing procedures. I still felt really comfortable with the doctors I did have for these procedures, but it is something to be aware of. This is when having the consistency of the nurses is helpful.
I was lucky enough to have insurance coverage through my employer.
With PGT-A testing a single embryo transfer is the recommended approach.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
There was a little confusing over being able to do a retrieval after the holiday shutdown. I was initially told yes, but when they went to schedule me they were already booked and then I was told that I couldn't do a retrieval--I think some of this was a side-effect of Covid-19 and people trying to get in cycles as they said they had never had to put a limit on the number of people doing retrievals before, but it was still a very frustrating experience.
NY - 53rd Street (Eastside)

Dr. DeVore is incredibly empathetic. She treated me always like I was extremely important, my concerns were always valid and there was no question too simple or complicated that she wouldn’t answer...impressively intelligent and knowledgeable. She clearly is up to date on the gold standards with regard to REI and all the most up to date treatments and recommendations...told me very honestly that she would recommend IVF rather than try IUI several more times as she was confident that would yield us better results....
All of the staff [at NYU Langone Fertility Center] were excellent. They clearly know they work in a field where patients are anxious, stressed and emotional. They all show compassion and understanding that this is a difficult time to navigate...The offices are also open 7 days a week. The offices also have an operating room on site so that travel to multiple sites is never required...ease at which to obtain appointments - flexibility for those who need it for work
How was your experience with Shannon DeVore at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Dr. DeVore was incredible to work with. Approaching infertility for any reason is a stressful and emotional experience. She always made me feel as though she would be with me every step of the way and would always be honest with her recommendations and thoughts. I would recommend her (and already have) to any patient looking for the perfect doctor to help navigate through the intricacies of infertility. I never once felt as though I would be left alone to figure anything out. She was fantastic and I am forever grateful.
Make the appointment!!!!! You will not regret it.
Dr. DeVore is incredibly empathetic. She treated me always like I was extremely important, my concerns were always valid and there was no question too simple or complicated that she wouldn’t answer. She is compassionate and genuinely caring - two rare findings in elite and highly intelligent doctors.
Dr. DeVore is impressively intelligent and knowledgeable. She clearly is up to date on the gold standards with regard to REI and all the most up to date treatments and recommendations. We tried IUI twice - once with natural cycle and the second time with ovulation induction to help increase the number of follicles and increase the chances of fertilization. She then told me very honestly that she would recommend IVF rather than try IUI several more times as she was confident that would yield us better results. She was absolutely right and asked me when we would want to get started - she then ensured that all of my appointments, medications and plans were set far in advance as my schedule is complicated.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU Langone Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Alyssa )
All of the staff were excellent. They clearly know they work in a field where patients are anxious, stressed and emotional. They all show compassion and understanding that this is a difficult time to navigate.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Strengths: ease at which to obtain appointments - flexibility for those who need it for work. The offices are also open 7 days a week. The offices also have an operating room on site so that travel to multiple sites is never required. Weaknesses: nothing really that I can point out.
Well-oiled machine - even during the stressful time of COVID
I have pretty good coverage with my job - however PGS isn’t covered and the medications generally aren’t fully covered but I got information from the office for other pharmacies that offer major discounts. We probably spent ~10,000 dollars total.
She will always work with you to meet your needs and goals. She will also give honest advice about results and risks.
NY - 53rd Street (Eastside)

We agreed to undergo 3 IUI cycles [with Dr. DeVore] and then IVF if IUI's were not successful...treated me as a human during the entire duration of my treatment. She spent time to ensure she understands the problems we faced and she explained to us all the next steps required to proceed with IUI treatments...She took time to answer all our questions in detail, followed up with us when clarity was needed on test results and most importantly helped us get pregnant within the first IUI cycle. Her ovulation induction nurse Carol was great as well. She performed the IUI and has great bedside manners.
the clinic [NYU Langone Fertility Center] is well located in NYC. The Fertility center on 5th FL is spacious, clean and well run by administrators and nurses. The facility on the west side is also new, modern and well organized and run by support staff. Both facilities were clean and I felt well taken care of during my visits and treatment...team of coordinators and nurses were also very transparent and kept us informed all the time about testing results, upcoming meetings and follow-ups
How was your experience with Shannon DeVore at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Dr. Devore is a caring and excellent professional. She took time to answer all our questions in detail, followed up with us when clarity was needed on test results and most importantly helped us get pregnant within the first IUI cycle. Her ovulation induction nurse Carol was great as well. She performed the IUI and has great bedside manners. Dr. Devore's assistant Christine is also great. she was very receptive and promptly answered all our questions. When we had questions for the doctor she would quickly convey the message to the doctor and we'd receive a call back shortly from the team with an answer. The NYU langone Fertility center staff was also great. everyone was courteous and prompt. I never had to wait more than 5 minutes to be seen. Overall we had a great experience and we'd go back to Dr. Devore and her team to help us conceive again. Highly recommend them to anyone having difficulty getting pregnant.
understand the procedure recommended, the medication prescribed and ask lots of questions if additional clarity is required.
Dr. Devore treated me as a human during the entire duration of my treatment. She spent time to ensure she understands the problems we faced and she explained to us all the next steps required to proceed with IUI treatments. She recommended we undergo 3 IUI treatments and then IVF is IUI unsuccessful.Her team of coordinators and nurses were also very transparent and kept us informed all the time about testing results, upcoming meetings and follow-ups
We agreed to undergo 3 IUI cycles and then IVF if IUI's were not successful. We prepared for and got through the first IUI cycle and 2 weeks later I found out I was pregnant. As soon as I tested positive I went to the office to get a blood test confirmation. The team also measured my HCG level. A week later I went for another blood test and my HCG level was measured again. The 2 weeks later I was scheduled for the first ultrasound at 6 weeks and 5 days. we heard the heartbeat and saw our baby for the very first time. Dr. Devore confirmed all my measurement look great and she recommended a list of OB's to start seeing for the rest of my pregnancy and delivery
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU Langone Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Carol)
Carol and the entire team were great, receptive and great communicators.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
the clinic is well located in NYC. The Fertility center on 5th FL is spacious, clean and well run by administrators and nurses. The facility on the west side is also new, modern and well organized and run by support staff. Both facilities were clean and I felt well taken care of during my visits and treatment.
doctor's fees, ultrasound fees, blood test fees and facility fees
Describe the specific things that went wrong at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
a day before the IUI we went in for an ultrasound to ensure I was ready. the nurse/doctor who performed the ultrasound told me I am ready for the procedure the next day. A few hours later Dr. Devore called to clarify that I was not ready and that we'll need to take hormones one more day and then come back for an ultrasound to confirm readiness.

2020, Unknown Success
Dr. DeVore was amazing. This was a very hard process for me emotionally and she was always there for me...egg freezing was very personal and something I didn’t necessarily want to do. Dr. Devore was very compassionate during my journey. I had a lot of concerns both with my intended results and costs as I was paying out of pocket. Dr. DeVore listened to all of my concerns as well as my extensive list of questions that seemed to get longer every day...
NYU seems like a well oiled machine. There are longer waits the later in the morning you go. I would recommend early appointments. I felt it was easier/ more convenient to get information over the phone...There are a lot of women going through this, which means there are a lot of nurses. Some are better than others. Some treat you like a number vs. a human...whenever I called or had questions I was reassured by whoever called me back - and I called very often. Sometimes it was hard to get through though...
How was your experience with Shannon DeVore at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
I had my surgery 2 hours ago and already recommended Dr. DeVore to one of my best friends. For me, egg freezing was very personal and something I didn’t necessarily want to do. Dr. Devore was very compassionate during my journey. I had a lot of concerns both with my intended results and costs as I was paying out of pocket. Dr. DeVore listened to all of my concerns as well as my extensive list of questions that seemed to get longer every day. I couldn’t imagine doing this without her.
It is a little overwhelming to see how many woman are going through fertility treatments. At times during morning monitoring, it is hard not to feel like just a number. But Dr. DeVore was amazing. This was a very hard process for me emotionally and she was always there for me. I talked to her often on the phone and she did her best to make herself available when I had appointments.
There are a lot of women going through this, which means there are a lot of nurses. Some are better than others. Some treat you like a number vs. a human. But all that mattered to me was that Dr. DeVore didn’t. For the most part, whenever I called or had questions I was reassured by whoever called me back - and I called very often. Sometimes it was hard to get through though.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
NYU seems like a well oiled machine. There are longer waits the later in the morning you go. I would recommend early appointments. I felt it was easier/ more convenient to get information over the phone. They also have an app that isn’t necessarily the most helpful- I could never see the messages that were sent to me on the app and would have to log in on my laptop.
I paid all out of pocket. The procedure was 9200 and my medications cost about 5000. Anesthesia was 1050. The initial consult was 550 + 450 for a telemedicine call.
NY - 53rd Street (Eastside)

Dr. Devore is one of the most thoughtful and kind doctors and people I've ever met. After losing our daughter at 2 days old (born full term), my husband and I suffered infertility for over a year caused by complications at delivery. Upon meeting us, Dr. Devore was well read on our case and immediately empathetic and sensitive to the many emotions we were feeling. She continued to be this amazing throughout the course of our treatment. We've met many doctors but none as special as her.
The nursing staff [at NYU Langone Fertility Center] was excellent. They were friendly and made me feel comfortable. They also helped provide hope on days that I wasn't feeling too positive. I would never have to question what my IVF dosage would be because they'd call as soon as they received my bloodwork...The clinic is clean, organized, friendly, empathetic, knowledgeable and flexible. They were also very responsive and easy to get a hold of. If I could not see Dr. Devore, the other attending doctor was always up to speed on my situation.
How was your experience with Shannon DeVore at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
My husband and I tragically lost our daughter who was born full term at 2 days old. I then suffered complications caused by placenta accreta which caused infertility for almost 2 years. Upon meeting Dr. DeVore, she was incredibly empathetic, kind, sensitive and she developed a plan of action. The thought of more surgeries or beginning fertility treatments after our loss was incomprehensible to me. But Dr. DeVore helped me through it both physically and emotionally. I had two hysteroscopys to remove scar tissue and then we began fertility pills and IUI. We ultimately decided to do IVF and Dr. DeVore was amazing and kept us informed and comfortable every step of the way. We now have many healthy embroys and have decided to use a gestational carrier due to health concerns for me to carry another pregnancy. We believe we will have healthy children and we don't think that would have been possible without Dr. DeVore. She has become one of the most special people in our lives.
Trust her because she cares and has put a lot of thought into her plans.
Dr. Devore monitored me very closely and often had me come in more than normal just to make sure my blood/hormone levels and ultrasounds were on track. She made adjustments when necessary. The biggest concern was getting my lining thicker so each month she would try a different method so that she had 'data points.' It also gave her a good idea of what my dosages should be for IVF.
The nursing staff was excellent. They were friendly and made me feel comfortable. They also helped provide hope on days that I wasn't feeling too positive. I would never have to question what my IVF dosage would be because they'd call as soon as they received my bloodwork.

2017 - 2020, Unknown Success
1 Egg Freezing (cancer)
Cancer
Embryo Freezing With Other Docs (cancer)
[Dr. Elizabeth Fino is] non judgmental, encouraging and realistic at same time, intelligent and well informed, no ego and open to both questions and my/my spouse’s own preferences...IVF injectables (follistim and ??) with monitoring (blood tests, ultrasound, in office visits) followed by egg retrieval. Had very good egg response but poor maturation. Unclear if this was due to egg quality or other factor.
[NYU Langone Fertility Center] Clinic is familiar with high risk patients and unusual circumstances. Communication with office staff can be very inconsistent - sometimes quick and other times have to call repeatedly...10k out of pocket for treatment plus costs of office visits and monitoring, which were covered by insurance. Clinic gave significant discount and some free pharmaceuticals since IVF was for preservation
How was your experience with Elizabeth Fino at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Available, intelligent, non judgmental, encouraging and realistic at same time, intelligent and well informed, no ego and open to both questions and my/my spouse’s own preferences. Strongly recommend.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Elizabeth Fino at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Communication with support staff (billing, etc) can be challenging. Be proactive about getting the information you need and let Dr Fino know if you need help or are running into issues.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Elizabeth Fino at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Dr Fino and staff were very flexible in accommodating quickly scheduling around cancer treatment timeline, realistic and compassionate communication, detailed explanations.
Describe the protocols Elizabeth Fino used in your cycles at NYU Langone Fertility Center and their degree of success.
IVF injectables (follistim and ??) with monitoring (blood tests, ultrasound, in office visits) followed by egg retrieval. Had very good egg response but poor maturation. Unclear if this was due to egg quality or other factor. Was slated to begin second cycle but had to cancel due to a separate, unplanned surgery.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU Langone Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Donna)
Donna was amazing, other nursing staff were generally very compassionate and capable also, office/billing less so.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Clinic is familiar with high risk patients and unusual circumstances. Communication with office staff can be very inconsistent - sometimes quick and other times have to call repeatedly. Billing was very challenging and errors caused months of headaches and ultimately the person was fired. Be proactive about getting the information you need and ask your doctors for help If you need.
Quick and courteous
Describe the costs associated with your care under Elizabeth Fino at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
10k out of pocket for treatment plus costs of office visits and monitoring, which were covered by insurance. Clinic gave significant discount and some free pharmaceuticals since IVF was for preservation before cancer treatment.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Billing person said she submitted to insurance but had not.
Elizabeth Fino

Investment Banker
Dr. Grifo does a great job about running through the statistical odds of pregnancy success while also maintaining a level of compassion / acted as a quasi therapist during my treatments. He is well respected in the industry and I feel comfortable in his care. ... Dr. grifo was extremely compassionate when we experienced a loss due to ectopic pregnancy as a result of a round of IUI. He was always available if we needed to talk.
This clinic [NYU] has a long history of positive results and while you might not see your doctor for the iui / monitoring process, they have a very well regarded team and I still felt comfortable being in trusted hands. Sometimes you feel like a number while going through the process but I think it’s somewhat a reflection of how busy they are / the number of cases they have seen / they have had a lot of success.
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Stay organized and don’t be afraid to speak up if you want to try something and ask for his honest opinion on it. While doctors can do their best to give their most educated advice, they are not psychics and part of figuring out which treatment to move forward with is in part a personal choice.
Dr. grifo was extremely compassionate when we experienced a loss due to ectopic pregnancy as a result of a round of IUI. He was always available if we needed to talk. The office itself is run like a very well oiled machine. Morning monitoring makes you feel like a number - but at the same time I am thankful they are efficient and I am in and out of there in the mornings before work.
We have done 4 IUI cycles which included clomid for 5 days, a ovidrel trigger shot and a IUI.
The nursing staff was always so nice and friendly. Sometimes can be a bit unorganized but only on minor things.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
This clinic has a long history of positive results and while you might not see your doctor for the iui / monitoring process, they have a very well regarded team and I still felt comfortable being in trusted hands. Sometimes you feel like a number while going through the process but I think it’s somewhat a reflection of how busy they are / the number of cases they have seen / they have had a lot of success.
All IUI costs were covered by insurance
Dr. grifo strongly urges for a single embryo transfer
NY - 53rd Street (Eastside)
Absolutely outstanding care. She [Dr. DeVore] is so personal with the patient, so human as a woman herself. Best advice. Manages expectations and helps you make the right decision with a full context...Having her at each of my surgery calmed me down and I am convinced that her mood and confidence and guidance helped me with Producing more results as expected. Having her excitement on the phone as she told me the final results was just so special. I have rarely felt that close to a doctor....
[nurses at NYU Langone Fertility Center] prompt care and answers. Very personal service...Good management of expectations on waiting time. Very good organization. Seamless process, good communication on results and next steps. You get callS back everyday. My only suggestion is to maybe see if their flexibility of 7-9 monitoring on weekends could be for a little later but that’s all!
How was your experience with Shannon DeVore at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
No weakness really. We did try a hormonal treatment a little earlier in one cycle and I know the results didn’t come as expected / I had to cancel the cycle but she has never hidden that from me. She did that in the best way possible: Trying to make my results and cycles as effective as possible. She is beyond impressive with her care, her personal advice, her concerns, her follow-ups, her experience as both a woman and a doctor. Having her at each of my surgery calmed me down and I am convinced that her mood and confidence and guidance helped me with Producing more results as expected. Having her excitement on the phone as she told me the final results was just so special. I have rarely felt that close to a doctor. Her pronostics are Always on point. She is just made for this!
To never stop doing what she does and keep a strong team of women with her! Having the feedback from female doctors is important. Her team is excellent too. I can tell she is a great manager.
Absolutely outstanding care. She is so personal with the patient, so human as a woman herself. Best advice. Manages expectations and helps you make the right decision with a full context. Beyond a doctor, I would almost consider as professional friend, that’s how we connected very well. She is extremely professional. I would highly recommend to anybody and would also come say hi at the facility next time I am in New York just because I am so grateful.
Ultrasound from start was low: so she was able to give me expectations on keeping cycles regular. And guiding me on cancelling some travels. She has also been very much adapting when I had to go to France and and followed everything remotely with the best guidance.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU Langone Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Jackie)
Same with Christine and Jackie: prompt care and answers. Very personal service. Impressive. Also the type of persons I would love to see again next time I am in New York. Only good memories and advice.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
A little bit of a coordination and wait between them and my insurance but minimal. Sometimes difficult to get people on the phone. This relates to an earlier question but posting it here as I can’t go back And just remembering it: had to insist a Lot w follow ups to get an overview of my consent forms and future storage needs.
She has been very good at adapting to my cycle and waiting a little more before retrieval knowing that my body process is a little longer than usual
NY - 53rd Street (Eastside)
Undergoing fertility treatment during a global pandemic brought on all kinds of additional questions, concerns, and complications. Dr. DeVore went above and beyond to make sure I was informed, comfortable, and aware of my options. She considered not only my physcial health, but also remembered the information I shared about my career stressors...was always honest and extremely considerate of my concerns, questions, and unique needs. I felt like she completely understood what I was hoping to accomplish, and she was always forthcoming, providing additional information that I might want to consider for future decision-making. I felt that she was very attentive to my treatments and made the best possible decisions throughout my cycles.
While the morning monitoring is run like a tight ship [at NYU Langone Fertility Center], the nurses are kind and treat you like a person. They provide clear instructions telephonically and are very responsive to questions. When it comes to the actual retrieval, the nurses are PHENOMENAL (Jackie, Mary, and Danielle come to mind). They were so patient and caring - exactly what I needed throughout the retrieval experience.
How was your experience with Shannon DeVore at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Dr. DeVore was always honest and extremely considerate of my concerns, questions, and unique needs. I felt like she completely understood what I was hoping to accomplish, and she was always forthcoming, providing additional information that I might want to consider for future decision-making. I felt that she was very attentive to my treatments and made the best possible decisions throughout my cycles.
Be honest and communicative about what you're hoping to achieve as a result of the treatments.
While the morning monitoring is run like a tight ship, the nurses are kind and treat you like a person. They provide clear instructions telephonically and are very responsive to questions. When it comes to the actual retrieval, the nurses are PHENOMENAL (Jackie, Mary, and Danielle come to mind). They were so patient and caring - exactly what I needed throughout the retrieval experience.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
I was prepared ahead of time, knowing that I wouldn't always see my doctor. Nonetheless, that can be jarring for those who don't expect that. Every doctor I saw was extremely attentive, prepared, and willing to answer questions and provide additional context if I requested it. The facilities are very pleasant and clean. When I returned for my second cycle, it felt like I was returning to a comfortable place where I'd be taken care of and that was very assuring for me.
Investor
1 Egg Freezing With Other Docs
I appreciate how Dr Licciardi was blunt, straightforward and I liked his bedside manner. One time during treatment he called me at home to see how I was doing. But I only saw him once in person apart from the initial consultation (he just happened to be attending one day during monitoring)...Once I began treatment, it was as though he completely checked out. None of my doses were adjusted even though I was not responding and he wasn’t reachable when a nurse called me to cancel my cycle right before retrieval day.
The NYU FC nurses are great, there are a lot of them with varying levels of experience but the senior nurses are extremely knowledgeable, very responsive...Given their volume, they operate like a well-oiled machine...I had to postpone my cycle by a month because their orientation class was fully booked. I changed coordinators and this didn’t happen again...I was informed of my cancelled cycle via voice mail from a nurse the day before my scheduled retrieval. I called back 3 min later but could not reach anyone, they had closed early for the day.
How was your experience with Frederick Licciardi at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
I would recommend Dr Licciardi to someone with a simple case. For someone with a more complex case or poorer prognosis, needing more customized care, I would NOT recommend him at all. I changed doctors after my cancelled retrieval and I am extremely happy I did so.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Frederick Licciardi at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Be ready to advocate for yourself and do not expect to be guided at all. Ask a thousand questions if you do get the chance to speak with him (different protocols, what could they adjust, what levels are they looking for and on what basis will they adjust doses) - don’t expect any of this information to be volunteered as you may never actually see Dr L in person again after your first visit. He doesn’t always answer calls, but he DOES respond to emails.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Frederick Licciardi at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
I appreciate how Dr Licciardi was blunt, straightforward and I liked his bedside manner. One time during treatment he called me at home to see how I was doing. But I only saw him once in person apart from the initial consultation (he just happened to be attending one day during monitoring), and I felt like I got conflicting information and levels of care from different doctors and fellows over the course of each cycle. Once I began treatment, it was as though he completely checked out. None of my doses were adjusted even though I was not responding and he wasn’t reachable when a nurse called me to cancel my cycle right before retrieval day.
Describe the protocols Frederick Licciardi used in your cycles at NYU Langone Fertility Center and their degree of success.
IUI cycle - Letrozole (one follicle, no pregnancy) IVF cycle - “mild” dose antagonist protocol with estrogen prime - protocol: estrogen patch + ganirelix prime; 150 iu follistim + clomid, ganirelix (17 days of stims), ovidrel trigger - result: cancelled cycle, recruited one follicle, still intended to retrieve (DOR, poor prognosis) but ovulated after trigger / shortly before retrieval
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU Langone Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Mary Hartpence)
The NYU FC nurses are great, there are a lot of them with varying levels of experience but the senior nurses are extremely knowledgeable, very responsive (once I could not reach my nurse because she was in the OR but they share files and my problem was solved by another nurse right away). Given their volume, they operate like a well-oiled machine.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Strengths: organized, high volume, solid nursing staff, once you learn to navigate the clinic they are very responsive, good for cookie-cutter cases Weaknesses: you’ll never see your doctor, you’ll get conflicting information from attending a and fellows (several doctors openly questioned my protocol), you will NOT receive personalized care. Also because they are so big, there’s not a lot of flexibility around scheduling (need to check a lot of boxes, little leeway). For me this didn’t work - my ovarian reserve is very low and my antral count varies month to month. I need to optimize my cycles around my body and not the clinic’s calendar, so switched to a smaller clinic with better results.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Frederick Licciardi at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
IUI and IVF were covered by insurance, meds were out of pocket (~$5000), biopsy for PGS was ~$4,600 out of pocket.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
1) When scheduling my first IVF cycle, miscommunication between my doctor and coordinator meant that I never actually got on the official calendar. I had to postpone my cycle by a month because their orientation class was fully booked. I changed coordinators and this didn’t happen again. 2) I was informed of my cancelled cycle via voice mail from a nurse the day before my scheduled retrieval. I called back 3 min later but could not reach anyone, they had closed early for the day. It took me several hours to reach anyone and still never received a medical explanation for why my estrogen dropped right before the retrieval. 3) I paid upfront for PGS testing (biopsy) but retrieved zero eggs. I have spent months trying to get that cost refunded since there were no embryos to biopsy. I have still not gotten an answer from the billing dept.
2018 - 2020, Unknown Success
Dr. Grifo took the time to sit with me and my husband on our first visit, to explain everything to us. I was so impressed by his warmth, especially as one of the top doctors in this field, during that first visit. Subsequent visits were more rushed and I didn't really feel that same warmth...You're not going to get a lot of face time with Dr. Grifo...I felt the whole time that I was in good hands in his practice.
This is a very professional clinic [NYU Langone Fertility Center], and they have clearly been around the block. They have a TON of experience, and it shows. One downside of being part of a huge clinic is that it can sometimes feel like you're getting lost in a sea of patients. I often had a hard time getting through to the nursing team...The nursing and coordinator teams, overall, were fantastic. Very compassionate and took the time to explain things to me.
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
There's no question Dr. Grifo is one of the top experts in this field. While I would have loved to have had more face time with him throughout my treatment, I trust him and his associates implicitly. I felt the whole time that I was in good hands in his practice.
You're not going to get a lot of face time with Dr. Grifo, and the office is quite large and busy, but it's generally a well-oiled machine.
Dr. Grifo took the time to sit with me and my husband on our first visit, to explain everything to us. I was so impressed by his warmth, especially as one of the top doctors in this field, during that first visit. Subsequent visits were more rushed and I didn't really feel that same warmth, but I guess that is to be expected.
In our case, we are dealing with male factor infertility (my husband has non-obstructive azoospermia). Everything on my end was totally fine, so I didn't have to go through quite as aggressive of an egg retrieval protocol as initially expected. I don't remember all the details but the drugs used in my cycle were gonal-f, menopur, and one other (can't remember the name right now!). They were able to retrieve 18 eggs, of which 12 were able to be frozen. Then those eggs were thawed on the day of my husband's TESE procedure. They fertilized 6 eggs, and only 1 made it to the blastocyst stage. Unfortunately, it was a mosaic with a very low chance of survival so this was a failed IVF cycle. We'll try again in the future.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
The nursing and coordinator teams, overall, were fantastic. Very compassionate and took the time to explain things to me. My only complaint was that they were very difficult to get in touch with at times. I had a lot of complicated timing things to work around and it took me days to get through to a nurse to explain how things were going to go. That was very frustrating.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
This is a very professional clinic, and they have clearly been around the block. They have a TON of experience, and it shows. One downside of being part of a huge clinic is that it can sometimes feel like you're getting lost in a sea of patients. I often had a hard time getting through to the nursing team, which was completely understandable given how many patients they have, but that didn't make it any less frustrating. They're also not fully up-to-speed from an EMR standpoint. My husband's side of things were a lot easier to navigate because the male fertility center is fully on the up-to-date EMR platform through NYU. Even though the female fertility center is part of the same system, they're using an antiquated system so results aren't uploaded, and it's very hard to communicate with the care team through there.
It was generally pretty efficient. I always made sure to go first thing in the morning so I always missed that morning rush.
I don't remember the exact breakdown but if I recall correctly it was about $10,000 for the egg retrieval and another $10,000 for the thaw and fertilization (including genetic testing)
I know that Dr. Grifo does not do multiple embryo transfers, as his experience has shown him that it's not worth the risk. I understand and agree with his position.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Communication was a really big issue. I had multiple days where I had to spend the entire day on the phone trying to track down a member of the nursing team or a care coordinator, to get answers on how to proceed with certain parts of my cycle. In the end it all worked out, but that lack of clear communication added a lot of stress to an already stressful situation.

LGBTQ+
Dr. Grifo spoke to me in a professional, respectful manner and responded to my question by clarifying with elaboration, visuals, charts, scientific research, and articles. He explained the process very clearly and I felt confident in his experience, abilities and credentials...I would have preferred he performed my surgery but it was explained to me that due to the unpredictability and nature of the procedure and human body that this might happen, so I felt prepared...
All of the staff [at NYU Langone Fertility Center] seems authentic and legitimately concern about my well being and care. I was very happy with my experience...It [monitoring appointments] was very convenient and run smoothly. I managed fitting it into my busy schedule....The waiting room was spacious and had several kiosks for check-in. The wait was rarely long and the system for the different parts of the process felt streamlined...
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
The doctor was calm, thorough and patient with me. He seemed very comfortable with the work that he does and invested in helping people. I would have preferred he performed my surgery but it was explained to me that due to the unpredictability and nature of the procedure and human body that this might happen, so I felt prepared. I felt very good about my experience and investment of time and money.
Make sure to follow up because I never heard anything after the procedure and not sure what I am supposed to do next besides pay the freezing fee. I have been to busy to pursue until I plan to use the eggs.
I receive ongoing injections myself, he performed sonograms once or twice a week depending on the day. I didn't suffer negative side effects and the videos were helpful in giving me confidence in injecting myself.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
All of the staff seems authentic and legitimately concern about my well being and care. I was very happy with my experience.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
The waiting room was spacious and had several kiosks for check-in. The wait was rarely long and the system for the different parts of the process felt streamlined. I felt comfortable coming here on a regular basis. The nurses communicated with me and the nurses left messages when they couldn't reach me despite my challenging work schedule.
It was very convenient and run smoothly. I managed fitting it into my busy schedule.
The procedure and medications.
LGBTQ+ Care

The doctor [Dr. Frederick Licciardi] and his research is top notch...First transfer was with Ovidrel, second was a natural cycle...He felt very comfortable going with one each time [Eset Approach]. I wasn't interested in the risk of multiples given my "Advanced" age...I still have his voicemail saved from when our transfer didn't work. He was honest and compassionate about what had happened ("I wish I had better news, and I know how disappointing this must feel.") but was still optimistic about the future ("Give me a call when you are ready and we will go over next steps.")
The morning clinic [NYU] is a work horse - you come in and then you leave and it is all business. It's an odd thing - but there is no sense of community, not once did another patient say something kind to me or smile, everyone looks at their phones. The nurses are moving people through as fast as possible. Whole thing is very odd - unlike anything I have ever experienced...They did not account for the timing of mail order delivery of drugs.
Dr. Licciardi is great. I still have his voicemail saved from when our transfer didn't work. He was honest and compassionate about what had happened ("I wish I had better news, and I know how disappointing this must feel.") but was still optimistic about the future ("Give me a call when you are ready and we will go over next steps.")
The doctor and his research is top notch. You have to be prepared mentally to deal with the NYU clinic - which is a whole other story.
We talked about common interests beyond having babies - like skiing. For me this is important - it's like a sales call, let's talk about something for a minute or two that isn't this crazy expensive stressful situation that we are really here to discuss.
Unfortunately I do not have access to the paperwork - but I could supply this later. (First transfer was with Ovidrel, second was a natural cycle)
The morning clinic is a work horse - you come in and then you leave and it is all business. It's an odd thing - but there is no sense of community, not once did another patient say something kind to me or smile, everyone looks at their phones. The nurses are moving people through as fast as possible. Whole thing is very odd - unlike anything I have ever experienced.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
It's NYU - and they have a great track record at getting the results that I wanted. I would recommend them for the work, but not the decor. Also the location is not easy to get to in the morning. I did hear that they might be opening more locations for bloodwork.
$4500/IVF
Describe Frederick Licciardi's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
He felt very comfortable going with one each time. I wasn't interested in the risk of multiples given my "Advanced" age.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
They did not account for the timing of mail order delivery of drugs.
NY - 53rd Street (Eastside)

Susan Maxwell performed a laparoscopic tubal ligation (1 tube removal)...Not only she was calm and very professional, but also very knowledgeable and took her time to explain the procedure at pre op appointment, before surgery and follow up appointment...I could trust her from my first appointment, calm, clear, listens, answers all the questions....
I think [NYU Langone Fertility Center] is number one due to the amount of research they do and more than 20 years of practice. All the doctors constantly publish research papers... It is a huge practice and they are super busy...Tabitha - care coordinator / assistant - followed up, was really easy to reach, checked up on me...laparoscopy - tubal removal - around 75K -100K - 100% covered by insurance egg retrieval - out of pocket included in the IVF package - around 15K without medication which was around 4K
How was your experience with Susan Maxwell at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
I would recommend Dr. Maxwell to my best friend as she is absolutely wonderful. I could trust her from my first appointment, calm, clear, listens, answers all the questions. She is a fertility physician and she performs fertility surgeries herself. This is not that often when your RE can do both.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Susan Maxwell at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
trust her, she is excellent
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Susan Maxwell at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Susan Maxwell performed a laparoscopic tubal ligation (1 tube removal). This was my first surgery and I was really afraid of it. Not only she was calm and very professional, but also very knowledgeable and took her time to explain the procedure at pre op appointment, before surgery and follow up appointment. The surgery was flawless. I have no scars. the post surgery directions were super clear. Her medical assistant Tabitha is the best I communicated at NUY. Susan Maxwell also performed my 1st egg retrieval as a doctor on duty. She is wonderful.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU Langone Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Tabitha (Tabi) )
Tabitha - care coordinator / assistant - followed up, was really easy to reach, checked up on me!!! after my surgery knowing I was so afraid of it. The best smile and amazingly caring.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
I think NUY fertility is number one due to the amount of research they do and more than 20 years of practice. All the doctors constantly publish research papers, they are super stars there. This is the strength. Nurse team - excellent. They have a LOT of patients. So be patient and they will treat you the best. There are some characters which make me smile every time. Weakness - some doctors assistants but you have to bare with them if you are happy with your doctor and once you recognize this problem you find a way around it. I was going to leave my doctor as I could not communicate with my doctor's assistant. It is a huge practice and they are super busy.
Monitoring is well organized. Come earlier - leave earlier.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Susan Maxwell at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
Susan Maxwell
NY - 53rd Street (Eastside)

Dr Berkeley and the team at NYU were efficient and professional...is a professional, highly informative doctor. My partner and I both appreciated his honest, straightforward explanations and approach to our situation. He is not overly optimistic about the odds of success. He gives you the facts and I appreciated that as a patient...34 eggs were retrieved. 25 were mature, 20 fertilized via ICSI and 11 made it to day 5 for biopsy for PGD & PGS testing and freezing
NYU has a great team of doctors and nurses...From the nurses I met with for monitoring, to the embryologist I met on the day of my FET, everyone was kind and answered all of my questions. I felt like I could trust the team at NYU and that I was in good hands...They have a very strong team of capable nurses at NYU. They were all very professional and kind. They answered all of my questions and were problem solvers when it came to making sure you had the medications you need. Cherie had a lot of insight into where to go to get medications and ways to save money on certain medications by applying for grants & discount programs. The nurses before and after my egg retrieval and FET were very kind and professional as well.
How was your experience with Alan Berkeley at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Dr Berkeley is a professional, highly informative doctor. My partner and I both appreciated his honest, straightforward explanations and approach to our situation. He is not overly optimistic about the odds of success. He gives you the facts and I appreciated that as a patient.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Alan Berkeley at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Ask as many questions as you can and know your medical history so you get the most out of your time with him.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Alan Berkeley at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Dr Berkeley and the team at NYU were efficient and professional. From the nurses I met with for monitoring, to the embryologist I met on the day of my FET, everyone was kind and answered all of my questions. I felt like I could trust the team at NYU and that I was in good hands.
Describe the protocols Alan Berkeley used in your cycles at NYU Langone Fertility Center and their degree of success.
I was on a gonadotropin PGS/PGD Protocol. I started with Gonal F 225 and Menopur 150 for the first 6 days. On the 7th day I was instructed to add Cetrotide in the morning in addition to Gonal F 225 and Menopur 150 at night. On day 11, I took the Cetrotide injection in the morning and the trigger shot that night which was a combination of Ovidrel and Lupron. Retrieval day was a day later and 34 eggs were retrieved. 25 were mature, 20 fertilized via ICSI and 11 made it to day 5 for biopsy for PGD & PGS testing and freezing. I did not have many side effects during the stimulation cycle except that my lower abdomen felt very sore on both sides. I was extremely bloated 2 days after the egg retrieval and definitely had to take it easy. I felt completely back to normal 2 weeks after retrieval.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
NYU has a great team of doctors and nurses. I felt like I was in good hands and when going through IVF, you have to be able to trust the fertility clinic you have chosen. I never doubted my decision to go with NYU and I'm happy with the outcome I had with them.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alan Berkeley at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
My insurance provided 20K in fertility benefits that is all going towards my IVF cycle at NYU. PGD & PGS testing from Natera costs 6K. I have paid around 3K to NYU so far. I had a copay for many of the medications so I ended up paying $350 for the medications needed during my gonadotropin protocol. I opted to do a natural cycle for my FET and was prescribed Crinone (Progesterone gel). The cost of those with insurance was $90 for a box of 15. I had to buy 4 boxes for a total of $360.
Describe Alan Berkeley's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
My frozen embryos were PGD & PGS tested. NYU informed me that they only do eSET for my circumstance. That is what I wanted as well.
Alan Berkeley

2019, 20 Eggs Frozen
Dr. Licciardi was my doctor but I saw him only twice during the process. We met at the consult and then he preformed one ultrasound. I was surprised when I learned he wasn't the one conducting my retrieval but he called me and put me at ease about who was doing the retrieval.... I really thought Dr. Licciardi's care was excellent during the process. He was always accessible by phone and email, and he called me several times to keep me updated and to check on me. I definitely felt that he cared
[NYU] is a factory but very organized. There were times I questioned if they were tailoring my meds correctly but at the end they knew what they were doing because I got way more eggs than expected. Also, need better communication regarding requirements if you ever want to donate the eggs. I was told that I had time to make the decision before retrieval and then week before the retrieval I was told that you need to start the process one month prior.
Dr. Licciardi was my doctor but I saw him only twice during the process. We met at the consult and then he preformed one ultrasound. I was surprised when I learned he wasn't the one conducting my retrieval but he called me and put me at ease about who was doing the retrieval. I really thought Dr. Licciardi's care was excellent during the process. He was always accessible by phone and email, and he called me several times to keep me updated and to check on me. I definitely felt that he cared and I wasn't just another number in the factory. . I think Dr. Licciardi wanted to manage my expectations because he told me to expect 10-14 eggs, but 22 were retrieved and 20 mature eggs were frozen (age 36). What this actually means I really don't know because Dr. Licciardi made it clear that there are no guarantees.
He is not going to hold your hand during the process but you will get excellent results.
Dr. Licciardi was my doctor but I saw him only twice during the process. We met at the consult and then he preformed one ultrasound. I was surprised when I learned he wasn't the one conducting my retrieval but he called me and put me at ease about who was doing the retrieval. All of the doctors are highly skilled with decades of experience so you will always be in great hands. I really thought Dr. Licciardi's care was excellent during the process. He was always accessible by phone and email, and he called me several times to keep me updated and to check on me. I definitely felt that he cared and I wasn't just another number in the factory.
We started out with 150 Gonal F in the morning and 75 Menapur at night and then we decreased Gonal F dosage by the end of week one. Total cycle lasted 10 days. Results were 22 eggs retrieved. 20 frozen (but 2 were not fully mature but they froze them anyway).
You may see the same nurses during blood work, but often they are different. I never encountered any nursing staff who were rude or unkind. Nurses on retrieval day were very sweet and caring.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
There should be more preparation for administering the injections. There was an orientation but I forgot everything by the time it was time to start the cycle. It is a factory but very organized. There were times I questioned if they were tailoring my meds correctly but at the end they knew what they were doing because I got way more eggs than expected. Also, need better communication regarding requirements if you ever want to donate the eggs. I was told that I had time to make the decision before retrieval and then week before the retrieval I was told that you need to start the process one month prior. Still not sure what the actual answer is for that question.
$6900 for egg freezing and storage for one year. 1,000 for anesthesia. I received a discount because it was medically necessary for me.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
I wanted the option to donate my eggs if I wanted. There were certain requirements that had to be met ahead of time. I wasn’t given the correct timeline for that so I do not have option to donate my eggs if I wanted to do so. It’s not the end of the world and probably will need all the eggs.

2017 - 2019, Unsuccessful
Embryo Freezing With Other Docs
Dr. Grifo is very straight forward with his communication. He is blunt when delivering statistics and probabilities. However, he has his own story of infertility with his wife and children and he has compassion for what his patients are going through. He is invested in figuring out why things aren't working and provides comfort and hope when needed. He is extremely knowledgeable and respected in this industry.
My embryo [at NYU] was thawed for a FET and I was on the table waiting for the transfer. The embryologist was unable to properly get my embryo into the catheter for transfer. They said it became damaged and no longer felt comfortable transferring it.... I was impressed that they told me and confessed to the incident rather than transferring it and risking an unsuccessful transfer. Dr. Grifo also gave us some financial relief for a subsequent retrieval cycle
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Have all of your questions prepared before seeing him or getting him on the phone. He's willing to spend time with you answering them, but is quick and succinct, so be prepared. He is not overly warm, but after completing several cycles with him, I can attest he is a compassionate doctor. He's not the doctor you go to for a close Dr./Patient relationship. You go to him for his expertise and experience.
Dr Grifo appeared genuinely invested in our success and showed sympathy when things did not work out time after time. He would spend as much time on the phone as we needed, answering questions, suggesting further tests, providing condolences, etc.
I did a cycle at RMA where I was on 150 of Gonal F and 150 of Menopur. Dr. Grifo studied my results and ordered me to double that protocol and do 300 of each. He also added Clomid to my protocol. These changes helped me produce more eggs.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
It used to be painful to call the clinic. You got the answering service each time, even during business hours, but they have changed it recently. Someone actually answers the call and they try to get someone on the line that can help you real time. The wait times can be long during monitoring hours, but I've been to RMA as well and it's bad everywhere. Get there early. They move through monitoring quickly.
Often long waits, but the clinic was very efficient getting people in and out as quick as possible.
$20K+
He prefers to only transfer one PGS tested embryo. He says there are too many risks to the mother and baby with Multiples. I don't know if he would agree to transfer multiple. I did not press him on this because his argument makes a lot of sense.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
My embryo was thawed for a FET and I was on the table waiting for the transfer. The embryologist was unable to properly get my embryo into the catheter for transfer. They said it became damaged and no longer felt comfortable transferring it. I was really upset, given I did not have many embryos. However, I was impressed that they told me and confessed to the incident rather than transferring it and risking an unsuccessful transfer. Dr. Grifo also gave us some financial relief for a subsequent retrieval cycle given one of our precious embryos was destroyed. These things can happen, and clinic handled the mishap very well.
NY - 53rd Street (Eastside)

Dr. Grifo was very encouraging throughout our process. He was mindful of both the emotional and physical demand of IVF. He was sure to communicate how none of this was our fault, talked us through each step of the process, and reassured us when things didn't go as planned.... When our first transfer failed, it was very evident that Dr. Grifo was upset for us. He called us and scheduled a face to face to talk through options and next steps.
They [NYU] are very organized. When you arrive, you check in with the video monitors, and wait to be called. The wait time was always minimal. You were escorted to the back room for blood work, if needed, and then into one of the rooms. They knew who you were, what you there for, and answered any questions which made you feel more like a patient than a number. While it was sometimes crowded, they clearly knew what to do and were able to make their way through each patient in a timely manner.
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
Dr. Grifo was recommended to us by a very close family friend. After starting our journey with another doctor, when IVF became the best next step, we had to switch for insurance purposes. Our first visit with Dr. Grifo was comprehensive and very informative. He asked us a tone of questions, talked us through the science of the process in ways that we could understand and was sure to create space and time for any questions that we might have. My husband and I felt very comfortable with him and were eager to get started. Throughout my treatment, I was fortunate to visit the clinic on his "days" which always made me feel better. He was always very thorough and would talk us through the implications of anything that was going on, offering encouragement and support. When our first transfer failed, it was very evident that Dr. Grifo was upset for us. He called us and scheduled a face to face to talk through options and next steps. He assured us it wasn't our fault and that there was hope in terms of next steps both traditional and more innovative, and even offered ideas based on his latest research. He suggested further testing to help inform the course of action. I saw him for a biopsy, which was uncomfortable, but I always appreciated how Dr. Grifo would talk me through the procedure to help pacify any fears or discomfort. Lastly, we were very fortunate that Dr. Grifo was able to transfer our second embryo, which was successful! It was so great to have him there, and provide us with the confidence and calm that we needed. He told us it was his birthday, and that he had a good feeling about it! When we saw him at one of the first ultra sounds after being pregnant, it was clear how thrilled he was for us. He expressed his joy and confidence in us as parents, and allowed us to hear the heart beat as many times as we wanted! We simply could not have done this without him and we are so thankful for his knowledge and expertise.
To be patient, and to understand that as much as you'd like to see Dr. Grifo every time you are there, there are doctors of the day for a reason. Trust that he is very informed of your journey, and is always available if you want to schedule a call or email.
We used a series of injections to stimulate egg production/growth. I was then monitored regularly to ensure the right dose/frequency and monitor progress. These injections included daily doses of gonal, a few of lupron, and then an ovulation stimulator to ensure ovulation occurred. I was also put on estragen to help encourage a healthy uterine lining for the transfer. During the retrieval process, we retrieved 28 eggs, however, the nurse suggested we use ICSI, to help ensure fertilization given my husbands sperm numbers, were just slightly under the amount they wanted. After the transfer, I was put on progesterone and estrogen to help support the pregnancy. When our first transfer failed, Dr. Grifo suggested a biopsy of my uterine lining to test for bacteria which could have influenced the transfer. It came back negative so he told us to move forward with another transfer. This time around, Dr. Grifo suggested that we might want to try something different just for our peace of mind. So we tried a natural cycle without the use of estrogen and just the use of letrazole. However, after my first visit, Dr. Grifo didn't really like that I wasn't progressing and decided to put me back on the same cycle we tried before as it seemed to work better. It did, and that is what got us to our second transfer with Dr. Grifo! After that transfer, he put me back on the progesterone shots and estrogen, however, after I told him that the shots were making me really sore, he offered my progesterone inserts to help alleviate some of the shots.
The nursing staff was very knowledgable, encouraging, kind and patient. They were very thorough when calling with results and directions. I appreciated they also help talked me through the emotional implications of all of this.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
They are very organized. When you arrive, you check in with the video monitors, and wait to be called. The wait time was always minimal. You were escorted to the back room for blood work, if needed, and then into one of the rooms. They knew who you were, what you there for, and answered any questions which made you feel more like a patient than a number. While it was sometimes crowded, they clearly knew what to do and were able to make their way through each patient in a timely manner.
I provided some of my thoughts on a previous question.
I fortunately had good insurance which covered most of the costs of our first cycle with frozen embryo transfer. We did however, have to pay out of pocket for the PGS testing, about $7000, and then we had to pay out of pocket for the second transfer as it put us over my lifetime max. That was $4000.
Dr. Grifo shared his concerns about transferring one PGS normal embryo at a time. Given our embryos were normal, he was pretty adamant about his thoughts on transferring one at a time to reduce risks. However, he ultimately said that he'd do whatever we wanted.
NY - 53rd Street (Eastside)

Dr Licciardi spent a good deal of time with us during our consultation and he was blunt yet always very positive. He also listened to my ideas and we came up with a plan together. He didn’t push me right into IVF and encouraged my break between IUIs and IVF.... The only weakness I see is that I only saw dr Licciardi twice. Once during consultation and the next when he performed one of my IUIs. I’m not sure if that’s normal in all clinics but he is responsive and helpful over email which really helps ease my nerves when I have questions or concerns.
This [NYU] is a very busy but very organized clinic. The nurses get you in and out for early morning blood work and the wait times are never that bad. They have a very good system. It is a bit hard to get someone one the phone quickly, but they do always return calls within the same day or next morning. I’ve had no issues with billing or authorization and they are always very quick and helpful, calling Aetna for me and helping to make the insurance process as easy as possible.
Dr Licciardi has great bedside manner and very personable. He seemed interested in getting to know us as a couple and he explained our test results to us in ways we could understand. He was thorough in all the tests he recommended and always told us his expert opinion, not just what we wanted to hear. He also listened to me and my concerns while going through IUI and I felt that we came up with my fertility plan together, which helped make me feel more involved and in control. Dr Licciardi never pushed IVF on us even though he believes that will be our best route, but knowing we weren’t ready and wanted to give IUI a shot, he was supportive and helped us to try and make that happen. After 4 failed attempts we decided to take a break and I started acupuncture. He was supportive and even encouraged it. We will be starting IVF in May. The only weakness I see is that I only saw dr Licciardi twice. Once during consultation and the next when he performed one of my IUIs. I’m not sure if that’s normal in all clinics but he is responsive and helpful over email which really helps ease my nerves when I have questions or concerns. My two friends have had success with Dr Licciardi so I’m hopeful and excited to see what happens.
Be upfront about your ideas and plans for treatment and email him with any questions or concerns, you’ll get the quickest reply.
Dr Licciardi spent a good deal of time with us during our consultation and he was blunt yet always very positive. He also listened to my ideas and we came up with a plan together. He didn’t push me right into IVF and encouraged my break between IUIs and IVF. He also called to follow up with me after failed IUIs and is quick to answer any questions I have over email, which is super convenient.
All of my tests came back great, however my husband had slightly low motility. We wanted to start slow so our first cycle we tried natural IUI which Dr Licciardi was very supportive of since I have no discovered issues ovulating. After that failed we moved to Chlomid, followed by two more rounds using injectables. After 4 failed rounds I decided to see an acupuncturist and get my body and mind back in shape I order to start IVF. My cycles are on the shorter side which may be causing an issue with implantation. My acupuncturist and I are working together to correct that and it’s working! I’ll be starting IVF in May with a protocol of 150 Gonal F and 150 menopur to start.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU Langone Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Kamini)
Every single nurse or coordinator I have dealt with has been amazing. They are friendly, remember your name, comforting and knowledgeable. They always make me feel that they care and are here to help. They are responsive and informative. I am very happy with the team of nurses!
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
This is a very busy but very organized clinic. The nurses get you in and out for early morning blood work and the wait times are never that bad. They have a very good system. It is a bit hard to get someone one the phone quickly, but they do always return calls within the same day or next morning. I’ve had no issues with billing or authorization and they are always very quick and helpful, calling Aetna for me and helping to make the insurance process as easy as possible. They answer all of my questions and never make me feel like a bother.
Our clinic does not do multiple embryo transfers and they explained the risks very clearly. My husband and I are on board.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at NYU Langone Fertility Center.
One of the nurses called with my 3rd IUI result and advised me I was pregnant, however, she read my estrogen levels instead of progesterone and realized it right away. She was so apologetic and says that has never happened in 18 years since she’s been a nurse. It was disappointing but I understood people make mistakes and we are all human. Dr Licciardi called me immediately after to make sure I was okay. I actually enjoyed those 5 seconds of thinking I was pregnant. :)

1 Egg Freezing With Other Docs
Dr. Grifo has a call with me each step of the way, good or bad, to explain what is going on, to answer questions, to discuss next steps and create a plan of action. He uses his own personal experiences to relate to you, and shows empathy and compassion... He adjusted my plans accordingly. He was compassionate and empathatic and while I didn't see him often, he called and we spoke on the phone as long as I needed to to feel comfortable.
The one criticism would be that sometimes billing comes before all else, but that is understandable to some degree. They [NYU] are very good at what they do overall, and very efficient. I like that for retrievals you don't need to be there in one cattle call, you are assigned specific times. Morning monitoring is efficient particularly when you get there early. Their check in system is very easy to use.... Mary and the other nurses were wonderful and helpful.
How was your experience with James Grifo at NYU Langone Fertility Center?
He is just wonderful. I had an experience with one other doctor as a consult and another for treatments, Dr. Grifo was the first to treat me like a human. He adjusted my plans accordingly. He was compassionate and empathatic and while I didn't see him often, he called and we spoke on the phone as long as I needed to to feel comfortable. He also shared tips outside of the treatment protocol to help give us the best chances possible.
Go to him!! And trust him and his experience and judgement.
Dr Grifo learned from my past protocol with someone else that I needed an adjustment to my protocols. In addition to menopur and gonal F we added Clomid. In my prior cycle with another dr just menopur and gonal f resulted in a cancelled cycle. Dr. Grifo adding the clomid resulted in retrieving 5 eggs, which was more than even when I did a stimulation round several years ago when I was younger.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU Langone Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Mary)
Mary and the other nurses were wonderful and helpful. They are efficient and compassionate.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Fertility Center.
The one criticism would be that sometimes billing comes before all else, but that is understandable to some degree. They are very good at what they do overall, and very efficient. I like that for retrievals you don't need to be there in one cattle call, you are assigned specific times. Morning monitoring is efficient particularly when you get there early. Their check in system is very easy to use.
I felt this was a very efficient process. Obviously there was some waiting on some days, but nothing significant.
Medications out of pocket were about 7K, insurance covered IVF I beleive the cost was about 8K, PGS testing was $5,100 upfront for related costs but receive refund for embryos not able to be tested