LGBTQ+ Care
LGBTQ+ Care

Ratings of 1 indicate an unsatisfactory LGBTQ+ care.

Ratings of 10 indicate an excellent LGBTQ+ care.

55 Francisco Street
San Francisco, CA 94133

He [Dr Herbert] was genuine and caring. Strengths: efficient, kind, excellent education Weakness: IVF doesn't work for everyone!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Carl Herbert (retired) at Pacific Fertility Center?
He was genuine and caring. Strengths: efficient, kind, excellent education Weakness: IVF doesn't work for everyone!

2016 - 2023, Successful
Dr. Chenette is an eminently experienced and compassionate fertility doctor. He made me feel fully confident in the IVF process, and at my age. His manner, approach, and knowledge from having worked with numerous other patients assured me of my capacity to be successful in what I was seeing as a scary pregnancy process..Standard egg retrieval and freezing. There were no special treatment strategies..adamant about transferring one embryo at a time.
[Pacific Fertility Center's] administration is good, but could be improved. Financial management, scheduling management, and patient portal could be improved. But I caveat that by saying that I have yet to experience an easy-to-use or delightful patient portal with any doctor's office...patient portal makes messaging somewhat confusing. On a few occasions I did not receive responses to my queries over the patient portal
How was your experience with Philip Chenette at Pacific Fertility Center?
Dr. Chenette is an eminently experienced and compassionate fertility doctor. He made me feel fully confident in the IVF process, and at my age. His manner, approach, and knowledge from having worked with numerous other patients assured me of my capacity to be successful in what I was seeing as a scary pregnancy process. He was my partner, aligned with me on this very personal journey. I just love him.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Philip Chenette at Pacific Fertility Center?
None.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Philip Chenette at Pacific Fertility Center?
Dr. Chenette felt like a wise and compassionate advisor to me for the six years I was under his care. Over that time I struggled with a marital issue that kept me from proceeding with IVF. Dr. Chenette was always patient and kind, reassuring me that my chances of conceiving were still strong, despite my marital impasse and advanced age.
Describe the protocols Philip Chenette used in your cycles at Pacific Fertility Center and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center.
The clinic's administration is good, but could be improved. Financial management, scheduling management, and patient portal could be improved. But I caveat that by saying that I have yet to experience an easy-to-use or delightful patient portal with any doctor's office.
Describe Philip Chenette's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Pacific Fertility Center.
Dr. Chenette was adamant about transferring one embryo at a time.
What specific things went wrong at Pacific Fertility Center?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Pacific Fertility Center.
The patient portal makes messaging somewhat confusing. On a few occasions I did not receive responses to my queries over the patient portal. There was no clear and single source CheckList for the items I would have to complete leading up to embryo transfer. I feel like there were times when pricing and costs were not crystal clear.
Philip Chenette
2022 - 2023, Unsuccessful
5 Egg Freezing With Other Docs
At no point did we ever hear from Dr. Li. She also always seemed rushed. No time to dive deeper to understand why she was taking a certain approach. Not willing to explore alternative options....had 30 frozen eggs and this resulted in zero viable embryos. There was only one day-7 blast
[Pacific Fertility Center] operates as a factory. All they care about is their streamlined operations...were unhelpful in processing this shock, and defensive when we asked questions about what could have possibly happened in the lab that day...Care coordinator was highly incompetent, missing all kinds of details.
How was your experience with Liyun Li at Pacific Fertility Center?
I had 30 frozen eggs and this resulted in zero viable embryos. There was only one day-7 blast, and it came back aneuploid after testing. This was completely shocking, not at all in line with the expectations had set. Dr. Li and the clinic were unhelpful in processing this shock, and defensive when we asked questions about what could have possibly happened in the lab that day. It was not a collaboration at all, I was made to feel like a very annoying patient for asking so many questions. There was zero support for the trauma of it, mainly a 'we don't give a F about it' attitude.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Liyun Li at Pacific Fertility Center?
Do not.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Liyun Li at Pacific Fertility Center?
The entire clinic operates as a factory. All they care about is their streamlined operations. After my 2nd and last transfer failed, only the nurse called to say the beta was negative. At no point did we ever hear from Dr. Li. She also always seemed rushed. No time to dive deeper to understand why she was taking a certain approach. Not willing to explore alternative options.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Daisy)
Care coordinator was highly incompetent, missing all kinds of details. We ended up switching to a different one.
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center.
This clinic will absolutely treat you like a number. Their approach is the opposite of patient centric. Make sure to get an experienced coordinator: ask about the coordinators available and their experience level. There is very high variance on this point. If you ask too many questions about your protocol or want to understand details, be forewarned that they will treat you like an annoying/ high maintenance patient.
What specific things went wrong at Pacific Fertility Center?
Liyun Li
2013 - 2014, Successful
[Dr. Philip Chenette] will tailor a protocol based on his assessment of the patient...He has excellent bedside manners, made us feel at ease in this stressful process of IVF. In addition he is a very , patient an compassoniate doctor who is very knowledgable is his field with his many years of experience... Throughout the process, Dr. Chenette, was always available for our needs, and always very patient, compassionate and knowledgable.
She [nurse at Pacific Fertility Center] is really helpful and always a step ahead... is a very nice facility. It does not seem like a fertility clinic when you walk in. Very good ambience, friendly staff. The location is great.When you look out the window, of the office, there is a beautiful view of the bay, it will help ease your mind off of the stressful process of IVF. The office staff , coordinators, RN's, MD's are all awewome!...
How was your experience with Philip Chenette at Pacific Fertility Center?
IVF itself is a very stressful process. Throughout the process, Dr. Chenette, was always available for our needs, and always very patient, compassionate and knowledgable. In addition he has excellent bedside manners and of course, a very high success rate! :)
His positve attitude and knowledge in the field will bring you success.
Dr. Chenette will tailor a protocol based on his assessment of the patient
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Sue)
She is really helpful and always a step ahead
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center.
PFC is a very nice facility. It does not seem like a fertility clinic when you walk in. Very good ambience, friendly staff. The location is great.When you look out the window, of the office, there is a beautiful view of the bay, it will help ease your mind off of the stressful process of IVF. The office staff , coordinators, RN's, MD's are all awewome!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Philip Chenette at Pacific Fertility Center.
IVF itself is a very expensive process. I suggest to check with your insurance to see if there is any coverage
Philip Chenette
San Francisco

I appreciate being treated as an intelligent person while also having each detail described at the same time. ... Dr Ryan was very to the point, but compassionate at the same time. ... We have not yet completed our IVF cycle, but I feel very comfortable under the care of Dr Ryan. ... We don’t feel like that at all with Pacific Fertility Center. ...
We have been to other clinics where we felt like we were just a number. We don’t feel like that at all with Pacific Fertility Center. ... At every visit, the coordinator, consultant, or nurse was already updated on our info. This gave us so much confidence that we were being treated with great care! ... Everyone on staff has been very helpful, kind, and confident. It’s a long drive for us, but it’s absolutely worth it.
How was your experience with Isabelle Ryan at Pacific Fertility Center?
Dr Ryan was very to the point, but compassionate at the same time. I appreciate being treated as an intelligent person while also having each detail described at the same time. We have not yet completed our IVF cycle, but I feel very comfortable under the care of Dr Ryan.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Isabelle Ryan at Pacific Fertility Center?
Don’t hesitate to ask all of your questions!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Doris )
The entire staff has been above and beyond AMAZING! At every visit, the coordinator, consultant, or nurse was already updated on our info. This gave us so much confidence that we were being treated with great care!
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center.
The clinic is very impressive. Everyone on staff has been very helpful, kind, and confident. It’s a long drive for us, but it’s absolutely worth it. We have been to other clinics where we felt like we were just a number. We don’t feel like that at all with Pacific Fertility Center.
Isabelle Ryan
LGBTQ+
LGBTQ+
It felt like Dr. Herbert knew us as a couple and he was present and available when we asked him questions about treatment...After 3 failed IUI, he prepared us for the possibility of IVF and explained all pros and cons of the treatment process. During visits, Dr. Herbert moves quickly and I am sometimes left with some questions about the course of treatment, however, he's been consistently available for follow up via email, phone and in person. Overall, my partner and I have received clear guidance and realistic expectations throughout our process with Dr. Herbert.
It felt like Dr. Herbert [at Pacific Fertility Center] knew us as a couple and he was present and available when we asked him questions about treatment...After 3 failed IUI, he prepared us for the possibility of IVF and explained all pros and cons of the treatment process. During visits, Dr. Herbert moves quickly and I am sometimes left with some questions about the course of treatment, however, he's been consistently available for follow up via email, phone and in person. Overall, my partner and I have received clear guidance and realistic expectations throughout our process with Dr. Herbert.
How was your experience with Carl Herbert (retired) at Pacific Fertility Center?
My partner and I love seeing Dr. Herbert. He is very warm and has shown compassion with each negative pregnancy test. From the start of treatment, I was clear about what our path would be. After 1 failed IUI, he adjusted medication dosage. After 3 failed IUI, he prepared us for the possibility of IVF and explained all pros and cons of the treatment process. During visits, Dr. Herbert moves quickly and I am sometimes left with some questions about the course of treatment, however, he's been consistently available for follow up via email, phone and in person. Overall, my partner and I have received clear guidance and realistic expectations throughout our process with Dr. Herbert.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Carl Herbert (retired) at Pacific Fertility Center?
I would review all of the information you receive after each visit. If any questions come up, email the staff and/or schedule a call with Dr. Herbert.

2016 - 2020, Successful
Dr. Herbert listens well to your story, always has patience to answer any questions and best of all brings some humor into it when appropriate. He is very candid yet in a way that helps you make better decisions for your own care. ... We decided to try IUI before going to any further measures. He and his team explained very well what will happen and answered all the questions. I did cycles with using Letrozole and then the trigger shot before procedure. It was all very straightforward and well explained. I was very lucky to produce a live birth after only one IUI. And conceived again using the same strategy 1.5 years later that resulted in another live birth.
They're [Pacific Fertility Center] very professional. They are always on time. Make sure you always stand up for yourself and ask all the questions as they don't know what you don't know. See all the doctors if you don't like your personal doctor. But they all are great and caring, they have a great team that works very well together and has their treatment philosophy aligned.
He was always warm and patient with me. He also always told me how it will be and did not sugarcoat anything to make me feel better. He did that in a way that was patient and caring and I always felt in the best hands with him.
Ask all the questions. He's on your team, you might as well be motivating the team together by cheering each other on.
Describe the protocols Carl Herbert (retired) used in your cycles at Pacific Fertility Center and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Pacific Fertility Center.
They were very warm and compassionate of my situation. They always answered all questions in person, via email or by call. They were very caring throughout, gave me charts and reminder emails. They always had a smile on their face.
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center.
They're very professional. They are always on time. Make sure you always stand up for yourself and ask all the questions as they don't know what you don't know. See all the doctors if you don't like your personal doctor. But they all are great and caring, they have a great team that works very well together and has their treatment philosophy aligned.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Carl Herbert (retired) at Pacific Fertility Center.
It was around $1,135 for the IUI plus medications.

2020, 15 Eggs Frozen
Dr. Ryan is a clear and direct communicator, without sacrificing warmth. She managed my expectations about my retrieval, and my results met/exceeded those expectations. I am a very skittish patient and she provided the right level of detail for me to understand the process without being overwhelmed...Be prepared to ask questions and discuss data, especially during later appointments.
(care coordinator) was organized and proactive, which was especially helpful when I needed to start my cycle a week earlier than expected...[Pacific Fertility Center is] Beautiful facility with high quality equipment and care. All of the doctors on staff are skilled and personable, and I was able to consistently see my primary doctor. I felt like the clinic was personally invested in my comfort and outcome.
How was your experience with Isabelle Ryan at Pacific Fertility Center?
Dr. Ryan is very direct and matter of fact, which I appreciated. Be prepared to ask questions and discuss data, especially during later appointments.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Isabelle Ryan at Pacific Fertility Center?
Dr. Ryan was warm, clear and pragmatic. She managed my expectations around egg yield and maturity, while being encouraging and positive about the outcome. The care team paid attention to the details, from easy scheduling and billing to proactive pre and post procedure care.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Marris)
Marris (nurse) was clear and warm and helped reduce my anxiety. She made the pre and post procedure experience nearly spa-like. Chau (care coordinator) was organized and proactive, which was especially helpful when I needed to start my cycle a week earlier than expected.
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center.
Beautiful facility with high quality equipment and care. All of the doctors on staff are skilled and personable, and I was able to consistently see my primary doctor. I felt like the clinic was personally invested in my comfort and outcome. Truly a personal, hands on, boutique experience.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Isabelle Ryan at Pacific Fertility Center.
All costs were covered by my insurance
Isabelle Ryan