LGBTQ+ Competent Care
LGBTQ+ Competent Care

Based on reviews from the LGBTQ+ community.

LGBTQ+ Care

Ratings of 1 indicate an unsatisfactory LGBTQ+ care.

Ratings of 10 indicate an excellent LGBTQ+ care.

Brasselton
Atlanta, GA 30309
1100 Johnson Ferry Road NE, Suite 200
Atlanta, GA 30342

2012 - 2015, Successful
RBA is a wonderful practice. I was referred by my ObGyn. I've had many visits to the Main office and to Dr. Brama's Piedmont location. I cannot think of any weaknesses. Everyone was kind and professional.....The nurses were all very sweet and knowledgeable. There was one particular nurse that I did see a lot over the years. She was great. I was almost at the two mark after my transfer. It was the first day of summer school, so it was a stressful and busy day.
How was your experience with Pavna Brahma at RBA?
My experience with Dr. Brama was wonderful. She did whatever possible to make sure I understood what was going on with my body. She even drew pictures of my organs to explain parts of the process. My road to motherhood began with the removal of tubal blockages. My left tube was completely blocked and Dr. Brama removed it in 2012. She wanted to remove both, but respected my wishes to give the partially blocked (right) tube a chance. Surgery was successful and after a couple of attempts with IUI, she suggested not wasting my money. The other tube was not cooperating. It would be better to remove it and proceed with IVF. My second surgery was completed a year after my first. After my body had time to heal, I was ready to begin egg retrieval. The retrieval went well; 17 eggs harvested and fertilized. 5 of them made it to 5day blasts. Unfortunately, my body went through ovarian hyperstimulation, so the window to transfer was closing. I opted to freeze the embryos, allow my body to recoup...and pay down some medical bills. A few months later I was back. I began taking the meds to prep my body for the transfer. This procedure was the only part Dr. Brama wasnt a part of due to a scheduling conflict. However, she told me personally which in my mind attributed to the great relationship we had. Again every part of the process was explained. We discussed risk factors and I decided to transfer 1 thawed embryo. For me, 1 was all it took. The transfer was successful and I carried my daughter for a little over 37 weeks. After my baby was born, Dr. Brama was the first person I took her to meet. I couldn't have asked for a better doctor.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Pavna Brahma at RBA?
Dr. Brama is very wise and has great bedside manner. Stay optimistic and and trust her guidance.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Pavna Brahma at RBA?
Not to say that one should go off of a picture alone, but as I read the bios of each doctor at RBA, there was a wariness in Dr. Brama's smile that drew me to her. Upon meeting her, I knew I had made the right decision. Taking the news of infertility was hard and Dr. Brama allowed me the time to have my emotional moment. NEVER was there a time that I felt rushed or "like a number".
Describe the protocols Pavna Brahma used in your cycles at RBA and their degree of success.
I do not recall the protocols Dr. Brama used, but in my opinion it was a blend of her medical expertise and respecting my wishes as a patient. I could've probably shaved a year off of my time had I not tried to make use of the partially blocked tube. I appreciated that, but what I appreciated more was Dr. Brama not being afraid as my doctor to then say to me we're wasting time. Not in those exact words, but it was the snap back to reality I needed to regain my focus and stay the course. I don't know if I'm a special case...being successful with IVF on my first try, but it was a pleasant surprise.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RBA.
The nurses were all very sweet and knowledgeable. There was one particular nurse that I did see a lot over the years. She was great. I was almost at the two mark after my transfer. It was the first day of summer school, so it was a stressful and busy day. That afternoon I went to the restroom and saw that I was spotting. Can we say minor freak out? I called Dr. Brama's office and this same nurse was able to calm me down. She asked how bright the blood was. Its was dark burgundy/brownish. She reassured me it was old blood and to not worry. More than likely it was implantation bleeding...and it was. I think all of the nurses are well trained and understand the delicate nature of each situation and our stress levels.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Pavna Brahma at RBA.
Unfortunately I do not recall the prices associated with my care during those 4 years. Georgia insurance does not cover infertility. I did eventually open a loan with CapExMD. Then I started a GoFundMe page to help pay off the loan.
Describe Pavna Brahma's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RBA.
We did have a thorough discussion about the number of embryos to transfer. For a while I thought about multiples, but I've always worried about my stature. I'm not even 5 feet tall. It didnt take much convincing on my end, but Dr. Brama also felt it would be best for a single transfer.
2014, Unsuccessful
She [Dr. Pavna Brahma] listen to my thoughts about what I wanted during a cycle...She has an excellent bedside manner and she’s very warm and caring...She works with you on a plan that you can both agree on. She always kept me in the loop... I saw her every visit. She’s very thorough in her testing and blood work. She didn’t test for any immune or genetic issues though and felt it wasn’t warranted. I felt differently but my insurance also didn’t cover it. She made sure that I was on the correct supplements during my preparation phase and that I saw a dietitian that specialize in PCOS and prenatal health.
The wait time can be long [at RBA] so get the early morning appointments if possible. If you switch to a different RBA location you must request your records to be sent as they aren’t available system wide for some reason...Our start was to get my PCOS under control then prepare for IVF with ICSI...She [Dr. Pavna Brahma] listen to my thoughts about what I wanted during a cycle...She has an excellent bedside manner and she’s very warm and caring
How was your experience with Pavna Brahma at RBA?
She works with you on a plan that you can both agree on. She always kept me in the loop and made sure we took strived to my PCOD under control first. I saw her every visit. She’s very thorough in her testing and blood work. She didn’t test for any immune or genetic issues though and felt it wasn’t warranted. I felt differently but my insurance also didn’t cover it. She made sure that I was on the correct supplements during my preparation phase and that I saw a dietitian that specialize in PCOS and prenatal health.
Make a list of concerns you have. Make sure she has any records that pertain to your fertility weeks before your appointment and if possible have your ob/gyn do a preliminary workout so you can ask questions.
She listen to my thoughts about what I wanted during a cycle, the outcome of the cycle and agreed on what we needed to do to prepared. She has an excellent bedside manner and she’s very warm and caring. I really like her.
Our start was to get my PCOS under control then prepare for IVF with ICSI.
Describe your experience with RBA.
The wait time can be long so get the early morning appointments if possible. If you switch to a different RBA location you must request your records to be sent as they aren’t available system wide for some reason.
My insurance covered everything

2011, Unsuccessful
Mostly we liked Dr. Brahma. However, during the first IUI I remember starting to cry and she seemed genuinely surprised and not sure how to deal with me (which truly surprised me - can't imagine I was the first woman to respond that way!)...I was disappointed with the way she responded during the procedure. It seemed like she should have known how to handle a hormonal woman crying during an unpleasant procedure when she's trying to have a baby...
They [RBA] seemed to be efficient, we never waited very long to see a doctor or nurse. The one thing that was funny that I remember was that everyone in the office was so soft-spoken. It was a little odd!... there was one ultrasound tech who was awesome. Her name was Linda. She was compassionate, but also understanding. Whenever we went in, she had an attitude of "I know this isn't pleasant so let's just try and get it over with." She didn't 'sugar coat" it or try to chit chat. She also really listened to what I had to say and how I was feeling.
How was your experience with Pavna Brahma at RBA?
Please see earlier note about the IUI procedure and her response. Mostly we liked her, but I was disappointed with the way she responded during the procedure. It seemed like she should have known how to handle a hormonal woman crying during an unpleasant procedure when she's trying to have a baby.
Try her out. See if you like her style.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RBA.
I don't remember a lot of the nursing staff. However, there was one ultrasound tech who was awesome. Her name was Linda. She was compassionate, but also understanding. Whenever we went in, she had an attitude of "I know this isn't pleasant so let's just try and get it over with." She didn't 'sugar coat" it or try to chit chat. She also really listened to what I had to say and how I was feeling. She never made me feel silly for asking a question or being nervous or responding to anything in a certain way. She was the best part of the experience!
Describe your experience with RBA.
I honestly don't remember much about the clinic. They seemed to be efficient, we never waited very long to see a doctor or nurse. The one thing that was funny that I remember was that everyone in the office was so soft-spoken. It was a little odd!

2014 - 2016, Unknown Success
Dr. Brahma [at RBA] was extremely helpful and informative. She was was very positive about the procedures and our options. My husband and I were referred from the Macon GA Fertility Clinic. At the first appointment, we felt comfortable with continuing our fertility journey with Dr. Brahma and her team. My husband was treated by Dr. With, who was also very helpful. I would recommend Dr. Brahma to anyone. This is not an easy journey and having a great doctor does make a difference.
How was your experience with Pavna Brahma at RBA?
Dr. Brahma was extremely helpful and informative. She was was very positive about the procedures and our options. My husband and I were referred from the Macon GA Fertility Clinic. At the first appointment, we felt comfortable with continuing our fertility journey with Dr. Brahma and her team. My husband was treated by Dr. With, who was also very helpful. I would recommend Dr. Brahma to anyone. This is not an easy journey and having a great doctor does make a difference.
I would advise a prospective patient to be completely open with Dr. Brahma. Also, to ask any questions that you may have.
She was honest and courteous with all of our questions and concerns.
In the beginning, we discovered that my egg reserve was low. As a result, we looked into using an egg donor.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RBA.
My experience with the nurses was always a good one. I had little contact with the nurses as Dr. Brahma was extremely involved in my care and she was present during every visit.
Describe your experience with RBA.
The clinic has several locations which makes it easier for appointments. I cannot think of any weaknesses.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Pavna Brahma at RBA.
We have the basic costs for our care: office visit copays, procedure costs and deductibles.
Piedmont Hospital
Dr. Straub explained things well and let us know of the risks involved with the treatments. He was always positive and told us that if this specific treatment didn’t work, we would adjust and take the next step. Lucky for us, Clomid worked on the 1st cycle after some initial testing!...Dr. Straub himself was very good at explaining exactly what could happen or would happen. I still have his drawings for his explanations of our treatments. Amazing!
They [RBA - Atl Pied] were friendly and courteous. The clinic in ATL was a little difficult to locate at first but the receptionist was kind enough to provide directions. We were with them for the first 10 weeks of my pregnancy and I would make the 1.5 hour drive a hundred times over....[nursing staff] They kept us well informed and communicated via telephone and email, which was very helpful...he nurses kept me informed and Dr. Straub himself was very good at explaining exactly what could happen or would happen.
How was your experience with Robert Straub at RBA?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Robert Straub at RBA?
Do not hesitate. Schedule an appointment now to be referred!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Robert Straub at RBA?
The nurses kept me informed and Dr. Straub himself was very good at explaining exactly what could happen or would happen. I still have his drawings for his explanations of our treatments. Amazing!
Describe the protocols Robert Straub used in your cycles at RBA and their degree of success.
Low dosage of Clomid with an injection- can’t recall the exact name of the injection
Describe your experience with RBA.
They were friendly and courteous. The clinic in ATL was a little difficult to locate at first but the receptionist was kind enough to provide directions. We were with them for the first 10 weeks of my pregnancy and I would make the 1.5 hour drive a hundred times over.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Robert Straub at RBA.
$60 copay per visit
Describe Robert Straub's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RBA.
Robert Straub

2014 - 2018, Successful
Dr Brahma has tremendous empathy and a compassionate bedside manner. She did not sugar coat or over promise results, but was balanced and honest.... I would never have chosen the course of infertility, but knowing Dr Brahma as a result was the silver lining. Her compassionate and wise care changed everything for my husband d and me. We are forever thankful for her intellectual brilliance and her loving bedside manner.... Typical egg retrieval and transfer of tested, frozen embryos.
RBA has changed a lot and their corporate administration has gotten disorganized. You have to be your own advocate and stay on top of your protocols, procedures and paperwork. Still have a very strong lab... I would never have chosen the course of infertility, but knowing Dr Brahma as a result was the silver lining. Her compassionate and wise care changed everything for my husband d and me. We are forever thankful for her intellectual brilliance and her loving bedside manner.
How was your experience with Pavna Brahma at RBA?
Don’t wait to go see her!
Typical egg retrieval and transfer of tested, frozen embryos. She was wise to encourage me not to wait too long when I was scared to try IVF
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Mary Koelbel, Crystal Alcantara)
Very well trained t Dr Brahma
$25k
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RBA.
Just occasional miscommunication from how RBA has changed

Cancer
1 Egg Freezing With Other Docs (cancer)
Donor Eggs With Other Docs
She [Dr. Brahma] is amazing! But I would highly recommended her to anyone who wants a compassionate and effective fertility doctor. ... She was caring and sympathetic which was appreciated for this type of treatment. ... Wonderful and I have recommended her to multiple friends. ... I have heard she has recently left RBA and is consulting although I am not sure where? ... Take notes.
I was at Piedmont [RBA] satellite office which was quiet and usually I was the only patient in there. I went to the main office a few times for retrieval etc and it was very busy. Billing office was easy to communicate with. They gave detailed invoices. ... Great communication , she [nurse] responded to my emails within the hour every time. ... $20k [cost of treatment] ... Take notes.
How was your experience with Pavna Brahma at RBA?
Wonderful and I have recommended her to multiple friends. She is amazing! I have heard she has recently left RBA and is consulting although I am not sure where? But I would highly recommended her to anyone who wants a compassionate and effective fertility doctor.
Take notes.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Mary)
Great communication , she responded to my emails within the hour every time.
Describe your experience with RBA.
I was at Piedmont satellite office which was quiet and usually I was the only patient in there. I went to the main office a few times for retrieval etc and it was very busy. Billing office was easy to communicate with. They gave detailed invoices.
$20k

2023, Unknown Success
Review of
[Dr. Erin Lewis is] very clear that her goal is to prevent any losses and to minimize how many times you have to go through any of the procedures involved in this process. She is also realistic based off of the circumstances personal to you about alternative outcomes and how she will approach modifying things for the next time or in the future should you face any sort of negative outcome or loss. Not only does she have a back up plan but she has multiple of them so she is prepared to approach all angles of what may need to be modified to provide you with success.
Them [RBA] clinic is excellent really. They made it very easy and timely to get my initial consult and all appointments in throughout the process. They don’t make you wait or be on any waitlist start a cycle they prioritize you and fit you in and are seemingly very dedicated to working around and for their patients. Their online website/prelude app makes it extremely easy to communicate through messaging with the nursing staff, financial staff, appointment coordinators etc. to arrange whatever you may need or ask whatever questions you may have. When I have had an appointment I have never had to wait longer than five minutes in their lobby. The facility itself is very clean, up-to-date and functional. Staff that draws your blood the ultrasound techs in the front desk have all been kind and considerate and made it very comfortable for somebody like me and it’s pretty quiet and nervous about being in the situation and I appreciate it endlessly.
How was your experience with Erin Lewis at RBA?
As I mentioned before, Dr. Lewis it’s truly the first doctor or really person throughout my IVF journey over the last 1.5 years to actually ask me if I was doing okay physically, mentally and emotionally. Not only is she just a genuinely good person and cares about you as a human being but she is incredibly intelligent well trained and prepared to personalize your treatment regardless of what setbacks You may encounter along the way. She will take the time whenever you need to schedule an appointment in person or on the phone telephone, as I live three hours away it has been very convenient to be able to schedule telephone calls with her, and in then she will answer any questions you have as well as go over all the options available as well as her recommendation. Not only will she tell you her recommendation but she will tell you why and she will use actual evidence-based medicine that is current to back up why she’s recommending some thing to you. She is not stuck in the past or in any old routines that some IVF doctors get in , she it’s very clear that her goal is to prevent any losses and to minimize how many times you have to go through any of the procedures involved in this process. She is also realistic based off of the circumstances personal to you about alternative outcomes and how she will approach modifying things for the next time or in the future should you face any sort of negative outcome or loss. Not only does she have a back up plan but she has multiple of them so she is prepared to approach all angles of what may need to be modified to provide you with success. I am currently starting my second egg retrieval, first one with her, this week. I feel very comfortable with the plan we have for it as well as for freezing and biopsy of the embryos we will (hopefully) get! Along the way to prepare for this I had an HSG performed, and an ERA to determine the best transfer time for me. Unfortunately the last clinic had not recommended biopsy of the embryos because I was 29 (which I say to anyone embarking- just biopsy them It’s worth it) so unfortunately we don’t know the quality of the embryo that had been transferred by her from the old clinic. So this time we plan to biopsy them. She did notice that I had some cervical stenosis as well and should that have been one of the reasons for my transfer failures she has explained to me that we can do a cervical dilation three weeks prior to my next transfer in order to eliminate that obstacle. So clearly as you can see she is looking to scientifically determine all angles of what may be causing your fertility and prevent them in the future to provide you with success. I feel very confident and encouraged she is going to make it happen for us and will be determined to do so.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Erin Lewis at RBA?
Absolutely feel peace of mind she and her staff will take care of you the way you deserve to be treated during this journey in your life.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Erin Lewis at RBA?
When I first talked to Dr. Lewis it was on the telephone as I do live 3 1/2 hours away from her clinic. This was after going through a retrieval with two failed transfers at a different facility in a different state that had been somewhat traumatizing. I realized when she answered the phone she was the first person at a fertility clinic to ask me “how are you have you been doing OK?“ I can’t even describe to anyone what that meant to me and how much I realized until that moment I had not been treated like a human being or had any of my emotions considered throughout the process. Had my last embryo that was created at the old facility transported to Dr. Lewis and unfortunately I did not take but a no-fault to her. I am currently starting my stim cycle for a new IVF round with her as I write this. I can say that over the last six months of tests, procedures, and conversations with her she has remained one of the kindest and “human” doctors I have ever had. Mind you, this is in addition to her incredible intelligence and training.
Describe the protocols Erin Lewis used in your cycles at RBA and their degree of success.
So basically When I first had my consultation with Dr. Lewis I had one remaining embryo from the previous terrible facility I do used, but had not been biopsied. I had not had an HSG done at the other facility, so we did that procedure first, it was normal. Then since we do not know the quality or any information about that last embryo we transported to Dr. Lewis we did an ERA procedure which essentially measures your receptivity to implantation after a certain amount of progesterone exposure. This procedure was important to complete so that if the reason my prior transfers Hatfield were related to needing more or less progesterone transporter to be successful we would know that moving forward. Mine ended up coming back receptive on a standard day most people are which is what I had had my previous transfers at. So at that point we thought it was worth attempting to transfer the embryo, during the ERA Dr. Lewis discovered that I had pretty significant cervical stenosis and mentioned perhaps that could be another factor related to my past failed transfers. I explain to her I noticed my prior clinic physician struggling with my cervix as well and he had passed the embryos back-and-forth through the tubing during the transfer which was shocking to her. She looked back through the record and that physician had never even documented the struggle with my cervix or having done that to the embryos which disturbs me. But we decided it was worth a shot since the transfer catheter is much smaller than the ER a catheter to move forward with the embryo transfer of that last sent embryo. Unfortunately it did not work so moving forward with this IVF cycle I’m starting this week we are going to of course biopsy any hope for embryos we have but also she explained that three weeks before we transfer any frozen biopsied embryo that she wants to perform a cervical dilation procedure, which is essentially an outpatient surgery procedure . (Usually covers by insurance btw bc it’s a medical diagnosed problem) Tess eliminating that as an obstacle to the next transfer. She has made it very clear that her goal is to make this the last egg retrieval I have to go through to get as many embryos as possible and to do everything they can to make the next one successful.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RBA.
Dr. Lewis interfacility use the Prelude Connect app which is freaking awesome. I had not had any resource like this in anyway at the facility I had used before. Essentially you can message the nursing staff anytime, if you do it after business hours they will get back to you as soon as the business hours return, there is a number for after hours you can call them. This app also posts all of your labs end it has a calendar that the nurses put your appointments in and medication‘s with doses and times on, which could be adjusted by them lifetime if needed which is very helpful. They have all been very compassionate and competent. Rachel I will say particularly has been one of the best nurses that I have had take care of me, I have a nurse practitioner who worked many years as a nurse (and she didn’t know that or anything) but I say that to emphasize she really does the right thing by her patients.
Describe your experience with RBA.
The clinic is excellent really. They made it very easy and timely to get my initial consult and all appointments in throughout the process. They don’t make you wait or be on any waitlist start a cycle they prioritize you and fit you in and are seemingly very dedicated to working around and for their patients. Their online website/prelude app makes it extremely easy to communicate through messaging with the nursing staff, financial staff, appointment coordinators etc. to arrange whatever you may need or ask whatever questions you may have. When I have had an appointment I have never had to wait longer than five minutes in their lobby. The facility itself is very clean, up-to-date and functional. Staff that draws your blood the ultrasound techs in the front desk have all been kind and considerate and made it very comfortable for somebody like me and it’s pretty quiet and nervous about being in the situation and I appreciate it endlessly.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RBA.
They have always made it very easy for me to schedule monitoring appointments and been flexible; even if I’ve had to request a time change the day before.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Erin Lewis at RBA.
So for the whole IVF cycle with retrieval it was approx 14,500. The frozen transfer is approx 4600 for everything. The only things that those cost at not include were medication‘s or embryo biopsy. The financial staff provided me with multiple resources for financing, which I ended up using “future families” and shot out to them for being an amazing financing company specific for IVF loans.
Describe Erin Lewis's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RBA.
Of course there are a lot of factors that physicians consider for the situation of single versus multiple embryo transfer. For my age being 30 next month, assuming that the embryos we hopefully get our good quality Dr. Lewis explained that her recommendation is to transfer one healthy embryo at that point. She explained all of the science behind that recommendation as well. However since I have had three transfers that I failed up until this point, she did verbalize to me that if we really wanted to transfer two embryos when the time comes she would be willing to do that.
Erin Lewis

2013 - 2019, Successful
Be prepared to wait for your initial appointment, but he [Dr. Toledo] is worth the wait...suspected that we were getting "bad eggs" (resulting in the chemical pregnancies), and he therefore recommended pre-implantation genetic screening to screen for embryos with abnormal numbers of chromosomes. He also suggested ICSI to directly inject the sperm into the egg. We did our first and only retrieval in November 2013, and came away with 9 eggs, 8 fertilized, and 7 made it to day 5, at which point they froze and biopsied all of them for genetic screening.
Megan and Lisa were my primary nurses during my IUIs, egg retrieval, and first transfer [at RBA]. They were both wonderful and responded to all of my emails quickly... For IVF, we used a financing plan that totaled approximately $22,000, but included 3 fresh cycles and 3 frozen cycles (and the benefit stops after a successful pregnancy). We only ended up needing one of each, so we probably overpaid...The parking is also kind of expensive, so I would recommend carpooling with your significant other for appointments so you don't have to pay two parking fees.
How was your experience with Andrew Toledo at RBA?
Dr. Toledo has a wonderful bedside manner. He is friendly and personable and has been doing this a long time. It takes a long time to get into see him, but there's a reason for it. You won't be sad you waited an extra few weeks. Some of his explanations are technical, but for the most part, he explains things in terms non-medical people can understand. He will take as much time as he needs with patients for consultations - I think those are booked in one hour blocks, just so he doesn't have to get to another patient. I think we spent one hour with him in our initial consult (not including exams, bloodwork, and meeting with the nurses before and after). He answers questions patiently and is happy to take follow up calls. Once we had decided to go forward with IVF, I had questions about the drugs and injections I was prescribed, and I was able to get on the phone with him personally within a couple of days to get answers from him.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Andrew Toledo at RBA?
Be prepared to wait for your initial appointment, but he is worth the wait. And have a list of questions ready to go and be prepared to take notes.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Andrew Toledo at RBA?
Dr. Toledo is the most kind and caring doctor I've ever had. He has a wonderful bedside manner. Every time we have been back to see him, he remembers us, our kids, and things we like to do. When we did our egg retrieval, we got fewer eggs than we expected, and he let me cry on his shoulder when I found out.
Describe the protocols Andrew Toledo used in your cycles at RBA and their degree of success.
We started with IUI on Femara. (I had been prescribed Clomid and timed intercourse with my OB/GYN but that had not worked, so we moved onto Femara.) Each IUI cycle also included a trigger shot 12 hours before the first insemination, and then 24 hours, there was a second insemination. The first IUI cycle was negative, so they changed the timing of my progesterone. The second attempted IUI did not make it to insemination because I did not get any follicles, so they reversed on the progesterone timing. The second and third IUI were identical in terms of medications, and both resulted in chemical pregnancies. My beta with the second IUI stalled at just below 50, and the beta with the third IUI barely made it above 10. Dr. Toledo did give us the option after the second failed IUI to start IVF, but we elected to try one more. After the third failed IUI, we were told our best option was to proceed with IVF. We had a whole lot of bloodwork done (on both me and my husband) and a meeting with a genetic counselor. Dr. Toledo suspected that we were getting "bad eggs" (resulting in the chemical pregnancies), and he therefore recommended pre-implantation genetic screening to screen for embryos with abnormal numbers of chromosomes. He also suggested ICSI to directly inject the sperm into the egg. We did our first and only retrieval in November 2013, and came away with 9 eggs, 8 fertilized, and 7 made it to day 5, at which point they froze and biopsied all of them for genetic screening. I was on Bravelle and Menopur at the lowest doses recommended (I believe 2 injections of each, each day) because I have PCOS and they were worried about overstimulating. We then stopped the medication since we would be doing a fresh transfer. We ended up with 4 genetically normal embryos, and planned to transfer one of them in January. For the transfer, I was placed on birth control to level off my hormones and then put on estrogen (patches) and progesterone (suppositories) on the first day of the transfer cycle, which I was on till the pregnancy reached 12 weeks. (They will normally wean you off these starting at 8 weeks when the placenta has taken over, but I was traveling around week 10 and was being extra cautious, so they let me stay on it till 12 weeks, when I started seeing my regular OB/GYN). The transfer took place on day 20 of my cycle, and Dr. Toledo did the transfer himself. We got a positive pregnancy test, and that baby is now almost 4.5 years old. Dr. Toledo also did an "uterine scratch test" at the beginning of the cycle, which has shown increased pregnancy rates. We did a second frozen transfer in October 2016 with the same protocol and steps as our first frozen transfer, but Dr. Toledo did do an HSG test to make sure my uterus was still in good shape (no fibroids, cysts, etc.) It was all clear, and one of his colleagues did the second transfer. That baby is now 1.5.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Megan, Lisa, and Krista)
Megan and Lisa were my primary nurses during my IUIs, egg retrieval, and first transfer. They were both wonderful and responded to all of my emails quickly. I did not have as much interaction with Krista because I treated there for a relatively short period of time with my second transfer (Megan and Lisa had both left by then), but she was always kind, called promptly with lab results, and answered emails quickly too.
Describe your experience with RBA.
Dr. Toledo's assistant - Melissa - is amazing and returns calls quickly. The front office staff, particularly Mary Ellen, is a delight and calls you by name when she sees you come in. They do have a policy that no children are allowed, which I appreciated as a patient before we had our girls and respected as a patient who has had two successful pregnancies. If you are bringing in new babies to meet Dr. Toledo, they ask you to wait across the elevator bank, just so you do not upset couples who have not yet had successful pregnancies. The only complaint I had about the clinic was their financial/accounting people. They often tried to bill us for things we hadn't had done, and one lady was particularly insensitive when I had to check out after I'd found out we wouldn't be able to go forward with the second planned IUI. The parking is also kind of expensive, so I would recommend carpooling with your significant other for appointments so you don't have to pay two parking fees.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Andrew Toledo at RBA.
The IUIs cost around $1500 ($500 per insemination, plus ultrasound monitoring and meds). For IVF, we used a financing plan that totaled approximately $22,000, but included 3 fresh cycles and 3 frozen cycles (and the benefit stops after a successful pregnancy). We only ended up needing one of each, so we probably overpaid. We were told when we went back for our second transfer that they had changed the program such that we could have used the funds leftover after our first successful transfer to put toward the second transfer. Medications for the egg retrieval were probably in the neighborhood of $4,000 to $5,000, most of it being out of pocket. My husband changed insurance plans for our second transfer, which had an allowance for fertility coverage, and it cost us approximately $600 or $700 out of pocket (including meds) . I think the frozen transfer without insurance would have been around $3000.
Describe Andrew Toledo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RBA.
Dr. Toledo was strongly in favor of a single embryo transfer - I was 31 and 34 at the time of both my transfers - and he did not see a reason to consider a multiple embryo transfer at my age. Given our circumstances, we also had a very good chance of one working (and those odds only increased with two), and he reminded us that twins is twice the cost at the same time (two daycare payments, two college tuitions, two of all the baby gear, etc.).

2022 - 2023, Unsuccessful
LGBTQ+
Dr. Toledo is so nice and such a confident doctor...was just told I was too fat to get pregnant even though I had gotten pregnant but suffered a miscarriage...used letrozole and a trigger shot on two cycles and on the second I got pregnant...umped up the dosage and added progesterone to aid in implantation. It just didn’t work for those 4 times
[RBA's] billing team is horrible to work with, and instead of paying for what you are getting per treatment it is a flat fee for everything even if you don’t do everything it covers...have to stay on top of nursing to make sure you get the correct medication, and getting the correct testing for your treatment plan.
How was your experience with Andrew Toledo at RBA?
Dr. Toledo is so nice and such a confident doctor. I do wish we spoke about more ways I could help myself like supplements and more to help me along my journey. A lot of it was me doing research on my own and when I brought it up he would then agree. In the end I was just told I was too fat to get pregnant even though I had gotten pregnant but suffered a miscarriage. It’s very frustrating, but I do like him I’d just like more from him
Do your own research and ask ALOT of questions at the consultation
During many of the times it was just the doctor on call, and even when I asked about my doctor they would automatically tell me no you just have to use whoever is on calls. There was once I found out he was actually available and after my miscarriage it was upsetting that no one understood. Also there were a lot of new people on staff in 2023 and there was always a mix up
We used letrozole and a trigger shot on two cycles and on the second I got pregnant. When I tried again after miscarrying it looked like I wasn’t ovulating. He bumped up the dosage and added progesterone to aid in implantation. It just didn’t work for those 4 times
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RBA.
Some of the main nursing staff was very knowledgeable and nice. Often with newer nurses joining things for mixed up and the care was as good
Describe your experience with RBA.
The clinic’s billing team is horrible to work with, and instead of paying for what you are getting per treatment it is a flat fee for everything even if you don’t do everything it covers. The money doesn’t roll over and you don’t get a refund. You have to stay on top of nursing to make sure you get the correct medication, and getting the correct testing for your treatment plan.
$2500 each cycle for IUI
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RBA.
I’ve had where they told me Dr Toledo would do the procedure and it wasn’t him, a nurse put in the wrong prescription and it’s timed. I also would try to check online for test results they weren’t there so I’d have to call and a few times they couldn’t find them

2022 - 2023, Consult
Review of
I have never met her [Dr. Erin Lewis] in person only on video twice and a phone call. She is nice tries to explain things. Just needs like 3 confirmations to move forward. We were not really told our options because we thought we knew what we wanted before seeing her. A lot of the stuff I have a problem with is her unpreparedness because of a lack of communication from the clinic. If she was getting the info before seeing me I think she would be great.
Its hard to get a responce from the [RBA] office. You never really know what your next step is. And the finacial people cannot tell you hardly anything. You are better off asking for the codes for everything you might need and calling your insuramce directly to see whats covered...The pre screen staff were very nice and the blood work ladies are funny. Havent talked to any actual nursing staff except through messages and they are kinda choppy
How was your experience with Erin Lewis at RBA?
I am still early in the processes. I have never met her in person only on video twice and a phone call. She is nice tries to explain things. Just needs like 3 confirmations to move forward. We were not really told our options because we thought we knew what we wanted before seeing her. A lot of the stuff I have a problem with is her unpreparedness because of a lack of communication from the clinic. If she was getting the info before seeing me I think she would be great.
Dont be in a rush. The reply time is longer than you want it to be.
Its hard to get a responce from the office. You never really know what your next step is. And the finacial people cannot tell you hardly anything. You are better off asking for the codes for everything you might need and calling your insuramce directly to see whats covered.
Not there yet
Describe your experience with RBA.
They do not like to answer the phone. They do not like to call back. They do not give you the prices of services until you are about to do it. The finacial group shares very little and does not give you an accurate picture of what you will be paying.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Erin Lewis at RBA.
Aetna PPO Blood work 1 $90 Blook work 2 $90 Sonohystogram $226 IVF wPGA $5,400 (havent done) Meds 4,500-7000 (havent done)
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RBA.
I have had appointments scheduled at the wrong location and had to correct them. I have had bloodwork that was suppose to be drawn and was scheduled but not prescibed until after I was there. I have had paperwork with missing and conflicting information on it that I had to point out. Whenever I call noone ever answers the phone.
Erin Lewis

2022, Unsuccessful
I was intrigued by him [Dr. Shapiro] in the initial consult, which ended up being my only interaction with him. He was very knowledgeable and even though I'm a nurse, endocrine has never been something I've completely understood, he was able to break down concepts in a way I understand more easily...I was "diagnosed" during my consultation based on lab work my GYN had completed and symptoms. When my spouse and I completed the additional workup/diagnostic tools, prior to having results communicated I was asked to pay for treatment that was pre-planned like part of a standard treatment protocol...
The clinic [RBA] is very clean, updated, and the front office staff was very friendly. The parking situation and finding the office is a little confusing, it might be beneficial to have some details on the website to review prior to going...They were prompt to respond to messages in the portal. However, when I asked for my results on different occasions I was told that "no news is good news" and that I needed financial clearance prior to a nurse call...
How was your experience with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
I was intrigued by him in the initial consult, which ended up being my only interaction with him. He was very knowledgeable and even though I'm a nurse, endocrine has never been something I've completely understood, he was able to break down concepts in a way I understand more easily.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
If you just want treatments to be completed and not need to understand why your body is not able to conceive a baby naturally, go for it and have your checkbook ready.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
Describe the protocols Daniel Shapiro used in your cycles at RBA and their degree of success.
I was initially started on metformin to help with insulin resistance as he said I had PCOS since I had abnormal cycles. He planned to do letrozole and HCG with IUI. He said he chose letrozole because when choosing an oral medication to aid in ovulation, it has less side effects.
Describe your experience with RBA.
The clinic is very clean, updated, and the front office staff was very friendly. The parking situation and finding the office is a little confusing, it might be beneficial to have some details on the website to review prior to going.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Shapiro at RBA.
IUI package is $2500; Timed Intercourse is $1900. The idea of the "packages" is a fairly new concept for them as they varied from the individual prices I was given in August for the tests/labs and I was told about the packages in November/December.

2022, Unknown Success
He [Dr. Toledo] has a caring and warm personality and makes you feel well taken care of while under his care. He was available and thorough when studying past histories of my husband and me. We felt like he had been treating us for years from the initial consultation...antagonist IVF cycle...he explained to us that his recommendation would be to transfer multiple embryos if the first round is unsuccessful (as a secondary option). But, he also mentioned that the choice is completely ours to make....
The nursing staff [at RBA] is always very responsive. They have always responded to me the same day I have sent in messages. The nurses that I have spoken to on the phone have always been compassionate and caring...would recommend that they invest in a different patient portal system. The one that they currently use is not very user friendly and seems to be a bit unorganized. The messaging system is a one way messaging, and if communication is going back and forth, I think an upgrade is due. But other than that, the clinic does a fantastic job...
How was your experience with Andrew Toledo at RBA?
Doctor Toledo has a passion for caring for his patients. He has a caring and warm personality and makes you feel well taken care of while under his care. He was available and thorough when studying past histories of my husband and me. We felt like he had been treating us for years from the initial consultation. After meeting with him, we had a renewed sense of hope to conceive after facing years of challenges with infertility.
I do not have a piece of advice specific to Dr.Toledo himself... But the patient portal that they use does not have a feature to reply to messages. It is basically a one way messaging portal. So, anytime I need to respond to messages, I have to create a new message and tag it in the subject line as "replying to:(name)" because it begins a new thread. This can create a barrier in communicating between doctors/nurses and patients. Using a patient portal that allows two way messaging could potentially make communication more clear.
During our initial consultation with Dr.Toledo, we felt like he had been treating us for years. He took the time to really study our histories and we felt comfortable discussing our backgrounds with him. He was very open and warm spirited when getting to know us (even though we felt like he already knew us).
My treatment with Dr.Toledo is an antagonist IVF cycle. I am in the process of being prescribed 3 injections for about a 1.5-2 weeks. One injection is to stimulate the ovaries, another injection is for preventing premature release of the eggs, and the third is a trigger shot to release the follicles at the right time so that they may be retrieved. We plan to fertilize the retrieved eggs and freeze. When it is time, we will do a frozen embryo transfer and I will be administered medications to help create the optimum uterine conditions for the transfer.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RBA.
The nursing staff is always very responsive. They have always responded to me the same day I have sent in messages. The nurses that I have spoken to on the phone have always been compassionate and caring. When things got stressful and overwhelming, their helpful manner was encouraging.
Describe your experience with RBA.
Strengths: The nursing staff is very caring which will make the clinic as a whole stand out in a very good way. The doctors are like no other. After years under the care of my gyno trying to help us conceive, the doctors at RBA clinic are amazing with knowledge, patient care, and treatment planning. Weaknesses: I think I would recommend that they invest in a different patient portal system. The one that they currently use is not very user friendly and seems to be a bit unorganized. The messaging system is a one way messaging, and if communication is going back and forth, I think an upgrade is due. But other than that, the clinic does a fantastic job!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Andrew Toledo at RBA.
There were several options explained to us about the costs of IVF. Our financial consultant explained pricing with all of the options that we could choose from. It was all about what worked best for us. My husband and I liked the Bundl deals that were presented to us, and we actually ended up doing the level 2 one which included 2 retrievals and several transfers within a 36 month time frame. Because we chose the option for a 100% money back guarantee with Bundl, our total costs were $30,900.00. This plan is basically insurance for money back, multiple retrievals and transfers (if needed).
Absolutely. Dr.T did not tell us that we could NOT transfer multiple embryos, but he did educate us on the chances of the embryos splitting. The odds are higher of them splitting to create twins when you undergo IVF. So he explained to us that his recommendation would be to transfer multiple embryos if the first round is unsuccessful (as a secondary option). But, he also mentioned that the choice is completely ours to make.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RBA.
This is not necessarily a complaint for the clinic because I do not believe the fault was theirs... But my labs were lost for our prescreen bloodwork. I truly believe that LabCorp sent our samples to the wrong location of RBA. It was actually my clinic who did the work to hunt them down and locate them.

2020 - 2022, Successful
LGBTQ+
Dr. Rubin is an amazing doctor and makes me feel comfortable and she makes me feel like I matter. From the first time I sat in her office she has always made me feel welcomed and safe. She was very supportive during each cycle even the one positive pregnancy I had that ended in death. I recommend Dr. Rubin to all my friends...If you want to feel safe and feel like you matter Dr. Rubin should be your doctor.
RBA’s strengths focus on ensuring the patient is aware of what procedure will happen, how it will happen, and follow up is great. The financial office is not as informative about what is owed. I may come in for one cycle and do the ultrasound and not be charged and the next cycle I am asked for payment. It can become confusing. I’m not sure if I had a credit or what...The clinical team is very responsive and informative. Always professional and available to answer questions.
How was your experience with Jessica Rubin at RBA?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jessica Rubin at RBA?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jessica Rubin at RBA?
Dr. Rubin truly cares about her patients. After the passing of my son who was born 8/9/21 and passed the next day 8/10/21 she has been very empathetic and very supportive on trying to get me to a successful pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Callie )
Describe your experience with RBA.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jessica Rubin at RBA.
IUI in 2021 was about $350 and I can’t remember how much ultrasound was IUI in 2022 is about $475 and I paid $215 for ultrasound Storage is $200
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RBA.
I was told when insurance was verified that my insurance would cover the IVF and when it came time to start a cycle I was told different information. I was prepared to pay the discussed amount of almost $6000 but once I received that news it was disappointing and I did t have $20,000 to pay.
Jessica Rubin

2020 - 2021, Successful
Dr. Best was always excited about the next steps in my treatment even when it wasn't what we expected...She reviewed my chart carefully as well as listened to my experiences from my previous clinic and miscarriages. She used that information to make sure my next transfer would be successful...Dr. Best's approach was eSet, however, with my age and previous miscarriages I requested two embryo transfers. She agreed.
Multiple locations [RBA] and early morning appointments were great. The staff was friendly. All the various techs from blood taking to ultrasounds to the front desk were great. The primary location was busy but they keep things moving at a good pace...A few times I had to call billings to make sure my claim was submitted but they were very responsive...[nurses were] Very responsive and answered any questions I had or took my questions back to Dr. Best. They would call or email with the answer....
How was your experience with Monica Best at RBA?
Dr. Best was always excited about the next steps in my treatment even when it wasn't what we expected. She treated you like a real person and never was I afraid to ask questions. She reviewed my chart carefully as well as listened to my experiences from my previous clinic and miscarriages. She used that information to make sure my next transfer would be successful.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Monica Best at RBA?
Come prepared with all your questions. She will answer them or get back to you with those answered. She listens well to everything you ask and even comments you make about your concerns.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Monica Best at RBA?
Dr. Best always remembered my name and the treatment plan she had set. Always checked on my care and never made me feel like I was not part of the plan.
Describe the protocols Monica Best used in your cycles at RBA and their degree of success.
I had three surgeries to remove adhesions, however, it was worth it. Dr. Best suggested a natural cycle as I would get pregnant on my own but would miscarry. The protocol was baby aspirin, Lovenox, estrogen, and PIO (both injections and pills).
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RBA.
Dr. Best's nurses were the best. Always were kind and understood the plan Dr. Best had outlined. Very responsive and answered any questions I had or took my questions back to Dr. Best. They would call or email with the answer.
Describe your experience with RBA.
Multiple locations and early morning appointments were great. The staff was friendly. All the various techs from blood taking to ultrasounds to the front desk were great. The primary location was busy but they keep things moving at a good pace.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Monica Best at RBA.
My insurance covered most of the care and my co-pays were very reasonable. A few times I had to call billings to make sure my claim was submitted but they were very responsive.
Describe Monica Best's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RBA.
Monica Best
Sandy Springs (main office)

Our consultations went very well with Dr. Slayden. He was easy to talk to, humorous, and always explained risks and benefits associated with each procedure and medication...He has an analytical and conservative approach...whoever is on call for the week does your retrieval and transfer so you might not receive direct physical care from your assigned doctor
While getting into RBA can be a communication challenge, once you are "in" as a patient you receive top-notch care...whoever is on call for the week does your retrieval and transfer so you might not receive direct physical care from your assigned doctor...communication has been very fast and effective once you are officially an RBA patient. There were no mishaps and all calls/portal messages were returned promptly
How was your experience with Scott Slayden at RBA?
Our consultations went very well with Dr. Slayden. He was easy to talk to, humorous, and always explained risks and benefits associated with each procedure and medication. I never felt pushed in any way and was actually given the option of what protocol I wanted to pursue for transfer. I obviously trusted his judgement and went with his first suggestion, but I appreciated him giving me options and fully explaining risks and benefits that went along with it. He has an analytical and conservative approach which we appreciated.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Scott Slayden at RBA?
Do copious amounts of research and education on your own so your time during consultations can be spent talking specifically about YOU and not general info about IVF that you could already learn about on your own time. Have your questions written down beforehand.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Scott Slayden at RBA?
While getting into RBA can be a communication challenge, once you are "in" as a patient you receive top-notch care. I do remember trying to get initially scheduled took some time but communication has been very fast and effective once you are officially an RBA patient. There were no mishaps and all calls/portal messages were returned promptly. I really felt like all nurses, doctors, and office staff cared.
Describe the protocols Scott Slayden used in your cycles at RBA and their degree of success.
We were dealing with MFI so I had a very textbook and normal straight-forward protocol. BC for 2+ weeks, low dose HCG + Follistim for a few days, and then added in daily Ganirelix for the remainder of stims. Triggered with Lupron and had retrieval 2 days later. 21 eggs retreived, 13 mature, 9 fertilized, 6 embryos, 3 PGS normal. All frozen for a FET 2 months later. Transfer protocol was BC for 2+ weeks, daily Lupron injections ( I am a normal ovulator so this was added to prevent my body from ovulating on its own, resulting in a cancelled cycle), combination of Estrogen tablets + patches, and progesterone in oil injections. 1st FET was successful and I continued all FET meds until week 10 of pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Shelby and Lizzy)
Nurses are the MVPs of this place. My nursing team (Lizzy and Shelby) was incredibly compassionate, great at communicating, organized, prepared me well, and I knew they were cheering for us. I also had a great experience with the blood draw nurse (I can be a hard stick and she was always gentle patient and kind) and ultrasound techs.
Describe your experience with RBA.
Strength: high end technology, large and can take many patients, top-notch nursing and office staff, lots of resources, helpful online portal, good location, industry leaders, never a long wait time for appointments, was comfortable and well taken care of in surgery and procedures. Weakness: would be nice to have met our doctor in person but we know this is due to Covid (whoever is on call for the week does your retrieval and transfer so you might not receive direct physical care from your assigned doctor, this was not an issue for me though)
Describe the costs associated with your care under Scott Slayden at RBA.
Retreival was $14,100, stim meds were $4000, genetic testing was $100 per embryo + $250 shipping cost (this was a 3rd party expense), FET was $4250 per transfer and transfer meds through 10 weeks of pregnancy were about $1200
Describe Scott Slayden's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RBA.
RBA is a supporter of eSET due to their high success rates weighed against risks of multiple births, we were in agreeance with this
Scott Slayden

2020, Consult
Investor
Dr. Rubin did not treat us like a number but it wasn’t very humanly either. She was not what we expected. As a person, doctor, let alone an infertility specialist. She had no bedside manner and she was offensive...barely explained the IVF and IUI procedure. She didn’t even take the time to educate us in depth but gave us the Spark Notes version of the explanation; uhm social media bloggers were much more helpful than Dr. Rubin. My husband and I did not move forward with her. We did not feel she was the right doctor for us.
The [RBA] receptionist is impolite... basically rude. Having a welcoming Receptionist is important. She did not help with the check in process. quest lab is on the same floor as RBA, which is convenient...Nurse Caitlin was fantastic. It’s a shame she is so kind and compassionate that works with a doctor who is the completely opposite...Choose a doctor and team that you feel comfortable with. Someone you will have faith in and you can trust in.
How was your experience with Jessica Rubin at RBA?
Nurse Caitlin was fantastic. It’s a shame she is so kind and compassionate that works with a doctor who is the completely opposite. Dr. Rubin barely explained the IVF and IUI procedure. She didn’t even take the time to educate us in depth but gave us the Spark Notes version of the explanation; uhm social media bloggers were much more helpful than Dr. Rubin. My husband and I did not move forward with her. We did not feel she was the right doctor for us.
Dr. Rubin did not treat us like a number but it wasn’t very humanly either. She was not what we expected. As a person, doctor, let alone an infertility specialist. She had no bedside manner and she was offensive. First, she would not shake our hands because of COVID (understandable, although it was just being introduced into the US). She then proceeded to ask if my husband and I were related, immediately following “I have to ask legally”. And a few moments later she asked where we were from, as if she wanted to confirm we did not have COVID. She felt immediately uncomfortable when we told her we had not traveled outside the US in 3-4 years. She then talked about how she traveled Japan and China in November 2020 and talked about that for about 3 minutes....................... Our consultation was barely 15 minutes for $270.
Describe the protocols Jessica Rubin used in your cycles at RBA and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RBA.
Nurse Caitlin was great. She was kind and compassionate . I wish I could request her at a different facility :’)
Describe your experience with RBA.
The receptionist is impolite... basically rude. Having a welcoming Receptionist is important. She did not help with the check in process. quest lab is on the same floor as RBA, which is convenient.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jessica Rubin at RBA.
Consultation was $270.
Describe Jessica Rubin's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RBA.
Jessica Rubin

2018 - 2020, Unsuccessful
Doctor Shapiro spends time with me answering questions with facts and studies instead of telling me no or yes. He has validated my want to be a mom and how hard it must be to be in childcare and not be able to have my own children...quick to answer questions with care...We’ve used 3 different egg donors, and when the cycles weren’t working with my husband’s sperm, they kindly asked for us to use a sperm donor. We’ve changed estrogen from pills to injections when the pills weren’t working for me
Communication at first [with RBA] was hard with trying to get all the correct paperwork for our checklist. We kept getting told we had it all done and then something else would need to be signed. We live out of state so we’ve had to get things notarized and mailed quickly bc of this and spent lots of money...We got a package that was $28,500 with eggs...Kelly was my first nurse and the most kind and validating person ever. I had issues with Diana’s communication (called and left me a voicemail telling me I had no surviving embryos)
How was your experience with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
Knowledgeable and caring. He’s validated all my feelings, takes time to answer questions in detail and has fought the clinic for us when things haven’t gone well. I haven’t been able to stay pregnant yet but he has confidence and is going to keep helping us fight. He’s never acted like we are a problem.
Just be honest with what you need, he listens and truly cares. You’re not a number
Doctor Shapiro spends time with me answering questions with facts and studies instead of telling me no or yes. He has validated my want to be a mom and how hard it must be to be in childcare and not be able to have my own children. He and his nurses are quick to answer questions with care.
We’ve used 3 different egg donors, and when the cycles weren’t working with my husband’s sperm, they kindly asked for us to use a sperm donor. We’ve changed estrogen from pills to injections when the pills weren’t working for me. The rest has been same with progesterone.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Vann)
Kelly was my first nurse and the most kind and validating person ever. I had issues with Diana’s communication (called and left me a voicemail telling me I had no surviving embryos). Vann has been through infertility so she gets it in a deeper way. She emails me even when the office is closed and is always beyond helpful and compassionate.
Describe your experience with RBA.
Communication at first was hard with trying to get all the correct paperwork for our checklist. We kept getting told we had it all done and then something else would need to be signed. We live out of state so we’ve had to get things notarized and mailed quickly bc of this and spent lots of money.
We got a package that was $28,500 with eggs

2019 - 2020, Consult
I personally wanted a doctor with high success rates and want the clinical information. I do not need warm fuzzy bedside manner. I just want the facts and no nonsense. So Dr. Straub was perfect! He doesn't treat me as a number per se but he also isn't hand-holding...He wants to do high dose injections, ICSI, 5 day embryos with genetic screen, ultrasound guided frozen transfer the next cycle, assisted hatching, and post-transfer course of steroids and progesterone.
[RBA Clinic] Strength: everyone is very professional, the facility and people are high quality Weakness: limited hours the clinic is open and limited phone accessibility with difficulty reaching a live person. They do have multiple offices in the metro Atlanta area for convenience...It is around 10k for if no insurance for just the egg-collection. If you have insurance they raise the price high enough that you end up paying 8k out of pocket. Labs and genetic testing are extra. Medications are additional and expected to cost 5-7k, then there are fees for egg/embryos frozen storage.
How was your experience with Robert Straub at RBA?
He is very matter of fact and wants you to have your baby through the way he scientifically knows it will happen. I was very pleased to learn that what he was recommending was in line with the best practices I had read up on. He is there for you if you are ready for IVF. He won't try to talk you into it but he really doesn't want to do other options when he doesn't think those things will be successful. But I prefer he to-the-point style.
Look for results, not hand-holding.
I cannot undergo IVF yet because of Covid-19 but I am in line for when it is allowed again. I am 35 with low ovarian reserve and my husband is 52. He wants to do high dose injections, ICSI, 5 day embryos with genetic screen, ultrasound guided frozen transfer the next cycle, assisted hatching, and post-transfer course of steroids and progesterone.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RBA.
They are all nice on the phone but his office has very limited hours and it is difficult to reach anyone in person. I usually have to leave a voicemail.
Describe your experience with RBA.
Strength: everyone is very professional, the facility and people are high quality Weakness: limited hours the clinic is open and limited phone accessibility with difficulty reaching a live person. They do have multiple offices in the metro Atlanta area for convenience. The Sandy Springs is close to my work so I like that.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Robert Straub at RBA.
He appears to transfer the number recommended by the guidelines. It is age dependent and stage of embryo dependent.
Robert Straub
Sandy Springs (main office)

Dr. Shapiro took the time to meet with my husband and I for an hour to discuss our specific situation and the best options. He was attentive and addressed out questions and concerns...He went over our medical history and was very realistic as to our situation. He was not overly optimistic but was also not discouraging. He offered concrete a strategies to address and potential back up plans...He went over our medical history and was very realistic as to our situation. He was not overly optimistic but was also not discouraging. He offered concrete a strategies to address and potential back up plans.
Everyone was really great at the clinic [RBA]! They were kind, compassionate and encouraging. My main issues was that it was very hard to reach someone fast or directly. I found that on a couple of occasions they did not seem to have my tests stored in an organized manner and seemed to not even know they were available...$14,100 for IVF...The office was always neat, clean and I never had to wait long to get my bloodwork our ultrasounds. The staff was very pleasant and encouraging. I did find that they were a bit disorganized with their paperwork and my test results. It was also very hard to reach someone directly and in an expedient manner.
How was your experience with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
I would highly recommend a consultation!
My diagnosis was multifaceted- very low AMH, ovarian resistance and possibly poor egg quality due to my age (40). We went directly into IVF starting on the 1st day of my period with a relatively high dose of medications. Unfortunately my follicles did not respond to the hormone stimulation and we decided to cancel the cycle. On our follow-up appointment, we decided to attempt another round of IVF but starting the hormone injections 15 days prior to the start of my period. This decision was based on the fact that I had enough follicles, just not enough of them grew.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Jenny)
Everyone was really great at the clinic! They were kind, compassionate and encouraging. My main issues was that it was very hard to reach someone fast or directly. I found that on a couple of occasions they did not seem to have my tests stored in an organized manner and seemed to not even know they were available.
$14,100 for IVF
Describe Daniel Shapiro's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RBA.
I really liked Dr. Shapiro's thought process behind choices like these and found myself in agreement with his suggestions.
Sandy Springs (main office)
Dr. Slayden always made me feel welcomed and heard...Take plenty of notes when you go to appts, bc he does talk fast...We decided to do IVF with low dose HCG, Cetrotide, and Gonal F...Due to my estrogen being too high, we had to nix the Fresh transfer protocol and move to a complete FET. He believed I was on the verge of having OHSS....currently 18 weeks, 3 days pregnant with our little girl!
I really enjoy the satellite sites compared to the main clinic [for RBA]. I feel like they were more personable compared to those at the home base. I went to Marietta and Cartersville satellite sites. I had to go to Sandy Springs (main clinic) for husband's appts, retrieval/transfer, and during the beginning of pandemic. The main clinic just has a lot going on, esp bc it is attached to a large hospital.
How was your experience with Scott Slayden at RBA?
As a patient, Dr. Slayden always made me feel welcomed and heard. He listened to what I had to say and what my needs were, then planned the best course of treatment to satisfy everyone. He was positive during every appt. I did not feel like a number under his care.
He is very energetic, so be prepared. But he is willing to do what is necessary to get you pregnant. Take plenty of notes when you go to appts, bc he does talk fast. He will answer every question you have to the best of his ability.
Dr. Slayden always asked about my husband when he couldn't make it to appts (esp during the pandemic). He would always take the time to ask about work, etc. He was always so caring and wanted to make sure we would become pregnant. He answered every question we had and made sure we understood our options. He also let us pick what WE wanted.
We started off with MFI. We were recommended to Dr. Slayden by my husband's urologist, who is also at RBA. We decided to do IVF with low dose HCG, Cetrotide, and Gonal F as the medications for retrieval. Due to my estrogen being too high, we had to nix the Fresh transfer protocol and move to a complete FET. He believed I was on the verge of having OHSS and didn't want to risk anything. Then the pandemic hit, but we were able to have our FET in June 2020 (successful) and currently 18 weeks, 3 days pregnant with our little girl!
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Lacie Bean )
Lacie was an actual saint. She held my hand every step of the way, esp when my husband couldn't be there. She did everything she could to help the pregnancy along. She always called to check on me, held my hand when I cried, and made sure that I always had what I needed. I couldn't have gone through this without her. The other nurses and staff were great, too! Always friendly and willing to help!
Describe your experience with RBA.
I really enjoy the satellite sites compared to the main clinic. I feel like they were more personable compared to those at the home base. I went to Marietta and Cartersville satellite sites. I had to go to Sandy Springs (main clinic) for husband's appts, retrieval/transfer, and during the beginning of pandemic. The main clinic just has a lot going on, esp bc it is attached to a large hospital.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Scott Slayden at RBA.
Whew. With any fertility treatment, it is expensive. Luckily, SOME things were sent to our insurance, but not all. Most everything was paid out of pocket (esp IVF treatment, meds, FET)
He explained to us the difference and due to my age, size (fairly small in weight and height), and the increased chance of having twins (or more), we all agreed that a single embryo transfer was best.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RBA.
There were a couple of times with my husband's results that they failed to call us and we had to call them to get them.
Scott Slayden
2018 - 2020, Unknown Success
Dr. Toledo was so personable! He was very honest and told what he expected from our situation...During the stimulation process, my body was slow to respond to the medications. He never gave up and allowed me to STIM a few days longer. My results were awesome and he stopped by after he did the retrieval to tell me what a great job I did!...always hugs me and shakes my husband’s hand. He’s a breath of fresh air during this difficult time...
A great strength [at RBA] is the front desk receptionist!...makes you feel so welcomed. The entire nursing staff are super helpful, friendly and personable even down to the phlebotomists!...[financial advisor] broke everything down and you were able to make payments...[nurse] was so excited about my results she called me already excited!!! They made this process really wonderful!
How was your experience with Andrew Toledo at RBA?
When I first met Dr. Toledo, he walked into his office and was very cheerful and gave off a wonderful positive vibe! As time went on and I completed the check list, we met with him again to discuss the next steps. He still was very optimistic and told me what protocol that he thought would work. During the stimulation process, my body was slow to respond to the medications. He never gave up and allowed me to STIM a few days longer. My results were awesome and he stopped by after he did the retrieval to tell me what a great job I did!
Go in open minded and trust his thought process on what he thinks will work out for you!
Dr. Toledo was so personable! He was very honest and told what he expected from our situation. He did the egg retrieval and was so encouraging. He stopped by and talked to us and told us my results after retrieval. He always hugs me and shakes my husband’s hand. He’s a breath of fresh air during this difficult time
I I had to take 300 IUs of Gonal-F, 2 times a day (one in the morning, one at night). I did this for 17 days. I also gave myself 0.5 ml of Lupron daily. My husband gave my my trigger shot HCG, which wasn’t bad. I had 18 eggs, 16 embryos, and 11 embryos were frozen. 2 embryos came back genetically normal.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA.
The nursing staff was AWESOME!!! They communicated thoroughly and timely! When they would call after I did my retrieval, she was so excited about my results she called me already excited!!! They made this process really wonderful!
Describe your experience with RBA.
A great strength is the front desk receptionist! She is the greatest. She has the personality of the sweetest grandmother ever! She’s so nice and friendly and makes you feel so welcomed. The entire nursing staff are super helpful, friendly and personable even down to the phlebotomists! I can’t think of any weakness that I witnessed.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Andrew Toledo at RBA.
Their financial advisor Tay was awesome! She broke everything down and you were able to make payments.
Dr. Toledo only wants to transfer a single embryo because of my age (41).

2015 - 2019, Unknown Success
Overall, I had a great experience with him [Dr. Daniel Shapiro]....He is extremely personable and will be very honest and upfront with you on treatment and potential roadblocks...He understands our frustration, but has changed the plan on us a few times. I will do whatever is best, and appreciate his explanations of treatment...He is extremely personable and will be very honest and upfront with you on treatment and potential roadblocks...He took the time to get to know me. I ran into him outside the office and he knew and said hi to me.
Strengths [at RBA] - doctors all truly care and are compassionate. Check-in and check-off staff are so nice. Check out system was down a few times during checkout, meaning I couldn’t pay and got a very large bill with all of my “past due” payments at once, which wasn’t fun. Be patient, as cycles take time...Some nurses were better than others. Some acted as though they hadn’t read my charts and I was practically telling them what to do. Some understand my case and advised accordingly...I showed up once for a midcycle ultrasound, and the ultrasound person said they had me down for a baseline
How was your experience with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
Overall, I had a great experience with him. My first 2 pregnancies everything went according to his plan and I got pregnant very quickly. We are trying for our 3rd, with the same plan as before, and are having an insanely hard time getting pregnant. It is frustrating because to him, this is normal and is unexplained infertility, but knowing I got pregnant so easily the first two times makes this even harder. He understands our frustration, but has changed the plan on us a few times. I will do whatever is best, and appreciate his explanations of treatment.
I took Femara for each cycle, along with Progesterone shots, ovidril to trigger ovulation, and IUI
Describe your experience with RBA.
Strengths - doctors all truly care and are compassionate. Check-in and check-off staff are so nice. Check out system was down a few times during checkout, meaning I couldn’t pay and got a very large bill with all of my “past due” payments at once, which wasn’t fun. Be patient, as cycles take time.
One IUI cycle including medicine was between $2,500-$3,000

Egg Freezing With Other Docs
Embryo Freezing With Other Docs
Dr. Shapiro spent so much time with us discussing every aspect of our treatment plan. We expected someone as busy as him to rush us through the initial conversation, but he took his time and made sure every single one of our questions was answered. He was blunt in a way I appreciated and never seemed condescending or like he was judging our questions.
It’s a giant practice [RBA] - lots of doctors and a few different locations. While your specific doctor remembers your case and information not every single person at the office location will. One great aspect has been that pretty much everything can be done in house. From bloodwork to genetic consults and everything in between. I rarely have to go anywhere else to get a test done.
How was your experience with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
Very knowledgeable about what seemed like our very specific set of circumstances, which I think speaks to his overall expertise. He made us feel comfortable discussing topics we hadn’t discussed with anyone else yet. Most importantly he eased a lot of the concerns I had about whether or not it was even possible for me to use my eggs in our course of treatment. The only weakness I’d say we’ve encountered is that it took awhile to get the initial appointment-approx. 6 weeks - but we were lucky to have the time to wait.
Come in prepared with all your questions, he’ll have the time to answer them. Be willing to be open about exactly what your expectations are with him so he can set realistic goals for you.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA.
There was some initial confusion with the care coordinator on exactly what types of tests and blood work needed ordered for my first few appointments. But every other nurse in the office always worked extremely hard to get it sorted out when I was there. Everyone has been very responsive to emails and questions and we’ve never had trouble getting in touch with anyone.
Describe your experience with RBA.
It’s a giant practice - lots of doctors and a few different locations. While your specific doctor remembers your case and information not every single person at the office location will. One great aspect has been that pretty much everything can be done in house. From bloodwork to genetic consults and everything in between. I rarely have to go anywhere else to get a test done.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Shapiro at RBA.
He only does single embryo transfer - something we were ok with.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RBA.
During the initial bloodwork and ultrasounds there was an instance of the care coordinator ordering the wrong ultrasound and ordering the bloodwork twice. It was frustrating in the moment but the nurse assigned to me that day was incredibly helpful about getting it all sorted out.
Sandy Springs (main office)

Don’t feel like you are coming with too much history because you are not. Dr. Toledo will look at everything and anything you bring...He listened, took a look, and was appreciative of all I had provided...immediately took a look at my thyroid levels and put me on medicine. In his opinion, I should have been on it already. My levels were in perfect range after few short weeks...has exceeded every expectation I ever had of a RE...He had a bit of a waiting list, but I took that as I good sign. I
We qualified for the “baby guarantee” program [at RBA]. You and your spouse have to meet certain criteria pertaining to your health and specific tests to qualify. The initial fee for this program is 25k...The central clinic is great. Friendly staff from the second you walk in and there is always someone with you at any time. The great thing about RBA is there are several satellite offices...I can visit any satellite office for monitoring or labs and they all communicate.
How was your experience with Andrew Toledo at RBA?
Dr. Toledo got to know my husband and I as individuals and not just patients. He wanted to know about our stresses in life, occupations, how our journey had been. Our first appointment was an open dialogue about what we had experienced. I was certain he would push IVF from the start. Isn’t that what they do at a reproductive clinic? To our surprise, he didn’t. After several appointments and honest conversations with Dr. Toledo we have decided to pursue IVF. I’m confident he has the hope that we do.
Come prepared. Don’t feel like you are coming with too much history because you are not. Dr. Toledo will look at everything and anything you bring. I predicted that I had a thyroid problem so I pulled blood labs from three years back (non related to fertility). He listened, took a look, and was appreciative of all I had provided.
Dr. Toledo has exceeded every expectation I ever had of a RE. With a troubling and disappointing 2018, we scheduled and appointment with Toledo. He had a bit of a waiting list, but I took that as I good sign. I had four unrelated individuals recommend his name to me, so when our appointment day came I felt as though I was meeting a celebrity. Toledo sat with my husband and I and went page by page over our history. He was so compassionate and thorough. We left with a renewed sense of hope and peace. Every appointment since has been better then the last. Being in his care as where we are supposed to be.
Dr Toledo immediately took a look at my thyroid levels and put me on medicine. In his opinion, I should have been on it already. My levels were in perfect range after few short weeks. He ordered another sonohysterogram. I had one done a year before with my OBGYN but he wanted to run one again. I can’t even begin to explain how easy that procedure was at RBA compared to my first. The ladies at RBA explained that that was something they do daily whereas an OBGYN might know how to do it but they don’t practice it that often. Dr. Toledo also ordered a few tests on my husband so we could have the most current information. He then sat down with us and went through everything, thoroughly explained our options, and gave us his opinion.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA.
At RBA we work with the same staff from the beginning to the end. Dr. Toledo has an admin who scheduled our first consultation and has always been available for general question. Then there is a separate young lady to go through our protocol, next medical steps, consents, etc... Tay is his financial contact. She had a separate meeting with us to talk solely about financing, insurance, and drug costs. We have also met a team of nurses and his medical assistant who have guided us through everything at this point. We feel like we are in really good hands.
Describe your experience with RBA.
The central clinic is great. Friendly staff from the second you walk in and there is always someone with you at any time. The great thing about RBA is there are several satellite offices. I live in the city but work about an hour north. I can visit any satellite office for monitoring or labs and they all communicate.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Andrew Toledo at RBA.
We qualified for the “baby guarantee” program. You and your spouse have to meet certain criteria pertaining to your health and specific tests to qualify. The initial fee for this program is 25k. The program lasts for two years or one live birth, whichever comes first. If this does not happen you get the majority of your money back. If you choose to leave the program you also get the majority of your money back. We looked at all options and financially this made the most sense. It’s a great program and we are lucky to be in it!