4.4
4.4

LGBTQ+ Care

Ratings of 1 indicate an unsatisfactory LGBTQ+ care.

Ratings of 10 indicate an excellent LGBTQ+ care.

Nutrition counseling is not offered
Nutrition counseling is not offered
Selling medication is not offered
Selling medication is not offered

1918 Randolph Rd., Suite 410
Charlotte, NC 28207

2023, Unknown Success
From the beginning, Dr. Gidhei took the time to fully understand our fertility journey and background...She has been hopeful, but forthright with each step of the IUI and IVF processes. Our questions are taken seriously and answered appropriately...Dr. Ghidei was not necessarily available to respond to questions during the rest of the UVF process. This was a bit frustrating as her patient. Overall, we feel safe and heard with Dr. Ghidei.
The [Reproductive Specialists of the Carolinas] staff is all welcoming and kind. The doctors are knowledgable and treat you respectfully. Unfortunately, the billing is intentionally unclear, expensive, and costs are not provided to patients before treatment is given...We were surprised to have different doctors every visit, none of whom were our doctor. While there at key points in the process, Dr. Ghidei was not necessarily available to respond to questions during the rest of the UVF process. This was a bit frustrating as her patient. Overall, we feel safe and heard with Dr. Ghidei.
How was your experience with Luwam Ghidei at Reproductive Specialists of the Carolinas?
Dr. Ghidei explains steps in the process as they are happening, and was present enough to perform our IUI and Egg Retrieval for IVF. She takes the time to thoroughly answer our questions when we see her, and doesn't make us feel silly for asking them. She was not in the clinic for any of the lead in ultrasounds or bloodwork, which is not necessarily a problem except that we were not told she was away during those lead up weeks. We were surprised to have different doctors every visit, none of whom were our doctor. While there at key points in the process, Dr. Ghidei was not necessarily available to respond to questions during the rest of the UVF process. This was a bit frustrating as her patient. Overall, we feel safe and heard with Dr. Ghidei. We feel like she has given us the proper course of treatment for our situation and would recommend her to others.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Luwam Ghidei at Reproductive Specialists of the Carolinas?
Come prepared with questions about the process and potential courses of action related to your situation.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Luwam Ghidei at Reproductive Specialists of the Carolinas?
From the beginning, Dr. Gidhei took the time to fully understand our fertility journey and background. While we did need to bring questions about different scenarios, procedures, etc to her attention (instead of them being explored without our nudging), she responded to each thoughtfully, and allowed us to make choices in an unpressured manner. She has been hopeful, but forthright with each step of the IUI and IVF processes. Our questions are taken seriously and answered appropriately.
Describe the protocols Luwam Ghidei used in your cycles at Reproductive Specialists of the Carolinas and their degree of success.
We used Antagonist protocol including Omnitrope. This was pursued after a failed first IVF round where no embryos made it to the blastocyst stage (antagonist protocol without Omnitrope). In the second IVF cycle, Gonal F was used in a higher dosage + a low-dose HCG. These were supplemented with HGH (Omnitrope). Results were (IVF Cycle #1 vs IVF Cycle #2): Eggs Retrieved: 15 vs 24 Mature Eggs: 9 vs 19 Fertilized Eggs: 7 vs 15 Developed Blastocysts: 0 vs 6
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Reproductive Specialists of the Carolinas.
None of them were ever consistent or around enough to actually have interactions to measure.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Specialists of the Carolinas.
The staff is all welcoming and kind. The doctors are knowledgable and treat you respectfully. Unfortunately, the billing is intentionally unclear, expensive, and costs are not provided to patients before treatment is given. For instance, after paying $21,000 for an IVF cycle with high-level bullet points laid out by phase, we then received additional bills costing thousands of dollars for procedures that were required as part of the IVF "lead-in", which they consider separate from the IVF "cycle", even though they go by the same name as the bullet points provided previously. These are also scans/procedures that could have been done by other doctors who accept our insurance, which should have been allowed since these scans were "lead-in" and not part of IVF according to them.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Luwam Ghidei at Reproductive Specialists of the Carolinas.
$3,000 for IUI $21,500 for 1 IVF cycle covering from your baseline ultrasound through a frozen embryo transfer. This does not include "Lead-In" ultrasounds and bloodwork which were another $2,000. - ICSI for more than 10 eggs was an additional $1,200 - PGT-A testing was $200 per embryo - Any transfers required after the first frozen embryo transfer are an additional $6,000 - Cost of protocol medications was ~$4,000 additional
Describe Luwam Ghidei's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Reproductive Specialists of the Carolinas.
The doctor's preference and standard protocol is transferring a single embryo.
What specific things went wrong at Reproductive Specialists of the Carolinas?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Reproductive Specialists of the Carolinas.
Prior to our second IVF cycle, we decided to do a DNA fragmentation test on sperm to rule this out as a contributing factor to our unexplained infertility. The clinic forgot to actually order the DNA frag test for nearly 2 weeks causing us to nearly miss our window for starting our cycle. Separately the clinic tried to have us order medications from a partner pharmacy that gives them kickbacks. This pharmacy's pricing was significantly higher than what we found just searching online on our own. We've had multiple billing issues and surprise bills that we were not told about until after the procedure was done.

2023, Unknown Success
Dr. Ghidei was a wonderful doctor. She set my expectations accurately and explained everything in great detail when I had questions. When I wanted to consider incorporating an additional medication, she was open to hearing my idea and weighed the pros and cons, and scientific efficacy before deciding my protocol...Under her care, my 2nd retrieval proved much more fruitful with 24 eggs, 19 mature, 15 fertilized, and 6 blasts. We did a happy dance after she gave me my numbers
All doctors [at Reproductive Specialists of the Carolinas] are knowledgeable, kind, and easy to talk to. The nursing staff has made me feel really comfortable, and the front desk staff is continually cheering me on. Financially, I wish that the clinic would give us the cost of each individual thing that needs to be done leading up to IVF. Their actual IUI/IVF “package” costs are laid out in front of you, but that doesn’t include lead-in costs...RSC as a whole does single transfers only
While you don’t need to do extensive research before a discussion because she explains infertility matters so well in laymen’s terms, if you want to be able to dive deeper into the topic and advocate for yourself, she welcomes your interest in the subject and can speak even more in depth.
Dr. Ghidei clearly read over my file and all my additional notes. She listened to my concerns and had an honest conversation with me regarding my treatment thus far, and where she wants to take me.
After a failed first retrieval at a different clinic (15 eggs, 9 mature, 7 fertilized, 0 blast), I switched clinics and to Dr. Ghidei. She was surprised, as was I, at our results and came prepared for my next stims protocol. She brought up incorporating Omnitrope, which I was interested in after reading about increased egg maturity and embryo development anecdotally through online forums. She gave me the full picture that it hasn’t been proven to work for everyone, there is some evidence that in can help, so she was happy to add it to my protocol. I also appreciated that she was mindful of noting its addition to my protocol because of the cost. Under her care, my 2nd retrieval proved much more fruitful with 24 eggs, 19 mature, 15 fertilized, and 6 blasts. We did a happy dance after she gave me my numbers.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Specialists of the Carolinas. (Assigned nurse: Ellison)
Ellison has been in contact with me consistently through the portal.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Specialists of the Carolinas.
All doctors are knowledgeable, kind, and easy to talk to. The nursing staff has made me feel really comfortable, and the front desk staff is continually cheering me on. Financially, I wish that the clinic would give us the cost of each individual thing that needs to be done leading up to IVF. Their actual IUI/IVF “package” costs are laid out in front of you, but that doesn’t include lead-in costs. My husband and I were paying out of pocket, and had we known the price of some procedures, I would have sought those tests and care with a doctor that accepted my insurance. (They accept insurance, just not mine.)
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Reproductive Specialists of the Carolinas.
Efficient monitoring, early AM. Everyone has an appointment time, you’re usually out with 15 minutes.
We paid out of pocket. Our preliminary consult and testing was about $1000. IUI was about $2700, IVF + ICSI + FET was about $24,000. Medication not included.
RSC as a whole does single transfers only.
What specific things went wrong at Reproductive Specialists of the Carolinas?
My husband and I requested a DNA Fragmentation test, to which our doctor agreed was a good idea. We were told they would order the test and to wait. So we waited… about two weeks, and we didn’t hear anything. So I had to google and call the test company, only to find out that we have to initiate that test by purchasing it first… then the doctor will “approve it”. No one told us. We would have been sitting around waiting had we not been more proactive.

2022, Unknown Success
Visits were always rushed, I rarely got to meet with Dr Johnson (2-3 times over a 5 month period) and she always seemed either annoyed at any questions, impatient to leave the room, or just generally uninterested...If you're sensitive about the upcoming journey, do not expect this to be a warm and welcoming atmosphere, they are just there to get the job done. Most visits will be with others outside Dr. Johnson herself
[Nusring staff at Reproductive Specialists of the Carolinas were] More compassionate than the office staff and Dr Johnson, also friendlier, but nothing to write home about...[clinic was] Very unorganized, from appointment scheduling in the beginning, to proper billing, and more than once I had to correct the information on the screen (name/DOB/reason for visit) prior to my ultrasounds which was probably the most unsettling. Communication was via a patient portal and often times took 48 hours for a response. Great physical location, beautiful modern office space. Most information was relayed via documents sent to the portal for you to read over, not communicated in person.
How was your experience with Matrika Johnson at Reproductive Specialists of the Carolinas?
Answers given for her specifically in previous question. Rarely saw her, she never had a genuine or caring demeanor about her, and she appeared either rushed, impatient, or/and uninterested to the point I was afraid to bother her with questions.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Matrika Johnson at Reproductive Specialists of the Carolinas?
If you're sensitive about the upcoming journey, do not expect this to be a warm and welcoming atmosphere, they are just there to get the job done. Most visits will be with others outside Dr. Johnson herself, and communication with nurses is often delayed via the patient portal.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Matrika Johnson at Reproductive Specialists of the Carolinas?
Unfortunately, from the get-go I felt as if this doctor/practice didn't have the time to deal with the sensitivity that comes along with infertility. Visits were always rushed, I rarely got to meet with Dr Johnson (2-3 times over a 5 month period) and she always seemed either annoyed at any questions, impatient to leave the room, or just generally uninterested.
Describe the protocols Matrika Johnson used in your cycles at Reproductive Specialists of the Carolinas and their degree of success.
Metformin, Vitamin D & birth control for 6 weeks prior to starting the subcutaneous hormones shots. 10ish days of hormones then egg retrieval. One month of no meds after retrieval, then started estrogen (oral) and 2 weeks later progesterone-in-oil intramuscular. Carried on with Estro/Progesterone for 10 weeks into pregnancy
Describe your experience with Reproductive Specialists of the Carolinas.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Matrika Johnson at Reproductive Specialists of the Carolinas.
Still working through that. As a Progyny patient, I was being told one thing from Progyny and another from the billing specialist, Amy, at RSC.
Describe Matrika Johnson's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Reproductive Specialists of the Carolinas.
No complaints/ thoughts

2021, Unsuccessful
I felt that this persona she [Dr. Matrika Johnson] advertises on social media (“I’m a fertility patient too so I understand the struggle”) was completely fabricated. Someone experiencing infertility should be compassionate to others going through the same struggle instead of being cold and impersonal. She did not making me feel like a human being - I was just a number. I wouldn’t recommend her to my worst enemy.
The [Reproductive Specialists of the Carolinas] receptionist always made you feel warm and welcomed. Besides that it was just like a factory. There was one instance where I was waiting with other patients in the waiting room (they were always running behind) and I heard the medical assistant say “oh that lady with the fibroids is here” like the woman wasn’t a human being. They falsely advertise a boutique experience when nothing about the experience felt “boutique”.
I felt that this persona she advertises on social media (“I’m a fertility patient too so I understand the struggle”) was completely fabricated. Someone experiencing infertility should be compassionate to others going through the same struggle instead of being cold and impersonal. She did not making me feel like a human being - I was just a number. I wouldn’t recommend her to my worst enemy.
Don’t do it. Research all of the clinics in the area and their SART statistics. Speak to other women. There is a reason everyone chooses other popular clinics in the area.
The receptionist always made you feel warm and welcomed. Besides that it was just like a factory. There was one instance where I was waiting with other patients in the waiting room (they were always running behind) and I heard the medical assistant say “oh that lady with the fibroids is here” like the woman wasn’t a human being. They falsely advertise a boutique experience when nothing about the experience felt “boutique”.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Specialists of the Carolinas. (Assigned nurse: Melissa )
The nurse I mainly saw in the clinic was named Melissa. She showed zero compassion and also did not respect my privacy. She would also eat her food in the hallway with her mask down in the middle of Covid instead of being in a designated break room so there was also a lack of caring for the spread of Covid.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Specialists of the Carolinas.
I think a new patient should do more research about other clinics in the area. Going through infertility is one of the most difficult experiences a woman can go through and you want a doctor who truly cares about you and your desire to have a child versus just getting a paycheck. If I would have listened to Dr. Johnson, I would not have my baby. I went through another clinic who told me everything she said to me regarding treatment/results I received from her clinic were completely incorrect. Along with having terrible results, she told me there was no point in trying anymore and didn’t even offer donor eggs/embryos as an option. Obviously the other clinic was right.
What specific things went wrong at Reproductive Specialists of the Carolinas?
When I was transferring clinics, I signed a release to have my chart sent over to the new clinic. I followed up multiple times. Eventually part of the chart was sent. I had to end up going online and printing things myself because Dr. Johnson’s office did not send everything. I did discover in some of the paperwork that was faxed over that Dr. Johnson did not fully disclose some results (noticed by my new doctor at my consultation).

2022 - 2023, Unknown Success
LGBTQ+
Dr G [Ghidei] is great she’s so kind...tried to explain everything to us and answer any questions....very caring...very knowledgeable, empathetic, caring just all around great person. She shows compassion and kindness...did some adjustments for my upcoming transfer
I love my clinic [Reproductive Specialists of the Carolinas]! I can’t really anything other than that...whole staff is just great...Very welcoming, very nice. Treated us with respect!...communicate well...
She’s the absolute best! We love her she’s very knowledgeable, empathetic, caring just all around great person. She shows compassion and kindness. It’s important for doctors to be this way and she is the best at it. Always made us feel comfortable and always open to explain
Your in great hands
Dr G is great she’s so kind. She tried to explain everything to us and answer any questions. She very caring! We love her!
Well I can’t remember everything but. I do know she did some adjustments for my upcoming transfer
How competent was Luwam Ghidei at LGBTQ+ care?
Very welcoming, very nice. Treated us with respect!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Specialists of the Carolinas. (Assigned nurse: Ellison or Alison )
The whole staff is just great!!!
Describe your experience with Reproductive Specialists of the Carolinas.
I love my clinic! I can’t really anything other than that. We haven’t got our take home baby yet but we are hopeful and trust our clinic. We absolutely love them and if your looking for a great clinic look no further
In the mornings before 10 am
Cost can get expensive with no insurance
How competent was Reproductive Specialists of the Carolinas at LGBTQ+ care?
Very welcoming. Doctor G treats everyone great and so do everyone else. It’s very diverse
Describe your experience using 3rd party reproduction (donor eggs, donor sperm, or gestational carrier) at Reproductive Specialists of the Carolinas.
They communicate well

2023, Consult
Donor Sperm With Other Docs
LGBTQ+
Dr. Ghidei is very welcoming and takes the time to answer all your questions as well as listen to every aspect of your journey. We’ve had a long road 8+iuis and 3 miscarriages and she was intent on listening to everything we had to say...She really took the time to listen to our long history during the consultation and took the time herself to follow up...We haven’t done a cycle with Dr. Ghidei yet, hopefully soon!
They [Reproductive Specialists of the Carolinas] are very good at helping you understand every step and take the time to answer your questions...It was super easy to get in within the month I scheduled. Definitely have your records ready as it made things much easier and much faster...We recently made the switch upon moving from another state. Dr. Ghidei is very welcoming and takes the time to answer all your questions as well as listen to every aspect of your journey. We’ve had a long road 8+iuis and 3 miscarriages and she was intent on listening to everything we had to say.
Have your records ready, made things a lot easier.
We haven’t done a cycle with Dr. Ghidei yet, hopefully soon!
Describe your experience with Reproductive Specialists of the Carolinas.
It was super easy to get in within the month I scheduled. Definitely have your records ready as it made things much easier and much faster. They are very good at helping you understand every step and take the time to answer your questions.
We’ve only had a consultation and bloodwork so far which we’re all covered by insurance.
LGBTQ+ Care
Dr. Johnson is an amazing physician. She inherited me as a patient after mine left the practice. When I thought I miscarried she called me back in 5 minutes...she’s been available when I need her, regardless of the time. She’s energetic, human, brilliant and is so attentive to detail...I feel confident she will help me become a mother...a real person and treats her patients like real people
[Reproductive Specialists of the Carolinas is] Very well run, but can be hard to get in touch with a person on the first call. I appreciate the fact they are open 7 days a week...Expect to see lots of faces but after a few months, they are all familiar...Monitoring is a well oiled machine...I’m in and out in 30 minutes tops...Expect a fantastic physician
Expect a fantastic physician!
Dr. Johnson is a real person and treats her patients like real people. She’s incredibly meticulous, empathetic and incredibly responsive.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Specialists of the Carolinas.
Very well run, but can be hard to get in touch with a person on the first call. I appreciate the fact they are open 7 days a week and have been very communicative during COVID19. Expect to see lots of faces but after a few months, they are all familiar
Monitoring is a well oiled machine. I had to go to an out of state clinic while traveling for work and a simple monitoring ultrasound and bloodwork appointment took 2+ hours! At my clinic, I’m in and out in 30 minutes tops!
LGBTQ+
[Dr. Luwam Ghidei] is always communicating! Gave us good information and served with compassion and empathy always. She has been very hopeful of the process...Always welcoming, answers quickly, gives details as requested...treated me like family and not just a patient.
[At Reproductive Specialists of the Carolinas] Everyone communicates really well! Haven’t had any issues with anyone...portal response is fantastic! Front desk is always welcoming, nurses are great and even those behind the scenes. Everyone treated me like family and not just a patient.
She is always communicating! Gave us good information and served with compassion and empathy always. She has been very hopeful of the process. We are looking forward to continuing the journey with her and are hopeful we will get better outcomes
None
Always welcoming, answers quickly, gives details as requested
I don’t remember the details
Nursing staff here is amazing!
Describe your experience with Reproductive Specialists of the Carolinas.
Everyone communicates really well! Haven’t had any issues with anyone. The portal response is fantastic! Front desk is always welcoming, nurses are great and even those behind the scenes. Everyone treated me like family and not just a patient.