LGBTQ+ Competent Care
LGBTQ+ Competent Care

Based on reviews from the LGBTQ+ community.

LGBTQ+ Care

Ratings of 1 indicate an unsatisfactory LGBTQ+ care.

Ratings of 10 indicate an excellent LGBTQ+ care.

11425 El Camino Real
San Diego, CA 92130
590 Camino De La Reina
San Diego, CA 92108
44274 George Cushman Court
Temecula, CA 92592

2014 - 2015, Successful
Donor Eggs With Other Docs
I could not be happier with my care by Dr. Kettel. He is warm, compassionate, and honest. He has a great bedside manner and is extremely intelligent. I trust him 100% and highly recommend him!
I was always treated like one of the family! My care could not have been better at SDFC!
How was your experience with Michael Kettel at San Diego Fertility Center?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael Kettel at San Diego Fertility Center?
Describe your experience with your nurse at San Diego Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Cindy Christensen)
She was so warm and caring! Gave us a hug when meeting us and was so timely and open in all communication!
Michael Kettel
2014, Successful
LGBTQ+
We did 2 rounds of clomid and IUI.[with Dr. Chuan at San Diego Fertility Center]. After the second round I was pregnant with triplets!...She is a very caring person. She really wants to be able to give patients a baby and is very good about explaining every aspect of your treatment
How was your experience with Sandy Chuan at San Diego Fertility Center?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sandy Chuan at San Diego Fertility Center?
Go here first. Don't bother with anywhere else. It doesn't get better than this
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sandy Chuan at San Diego Fertility Center?
She is very warm, friendly and easy to get along with.
Describe the protocols Sandy Chuan used in your cycles at San Diego Fertility Center and their degree of success.
We did 2 rounds of clomid and IUI. After the second round I was pregnant with triplets!
Describe your experience with your nurse at San Diego Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer)
Fantstic
Clean, friendly, warm
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sandy Chuan at San Diego Fertility Center.
Not sure
2021, Successful
Dr. Park is my angel. She and her staff [at San Diego Fertility Center] were pleasant, efficient and supported me every step of the way. I can’t thank them enough for my beautiful girl...I was confident that my treated was tailored to my individual needs...[nurse] Cindy was kind detailed and easy to communicate with...After 1 round of IVF and my first transfer I was pregnant
How was your experience with Susanna Park at San Diego Fertility Center?
When I found doctor Park at 43, I was hopeless and discouraged after two different doctors had strongly recommended donor eggs, one refusing to treat me without them. From my initial consult with Dr. Park, she was optimistic and positive, thoroughly explaining the protocol she believed could help and how it would be different than my last two rounds. I’m so glad I trusted her, so much so that I drove down from Orange County for all my appointments. After 1 round of IVF and my first transfer I was pregnant and I’m currently sitting here with my 4 month old daughter. Needless to say Dr. Park is my angel. She and her staff were pleasant, efficient and supported me every step of the way. I can’t thank them enough for my beautiful girl.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Susanna Park at San Diego Fertility Center?
Na
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Susanna Park at San Diego Fertility Center?
I was confident that my treated was tailored to my individual needs.
Describe the protocols Susanna Park used in your cycles at San Diego Fertility Center and their degree of success.
Na
Describe your experience with your nurse at San Diego Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Cindy Christianson )
Cindy was kind detailed and easy to communicate with.
Describe your experience with San Diego Fertility Center.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Susanna Park at San Diego Fertility Center.
Insurance covered some but total out of pocket was approximately 10k plus medication.
Describe Susanna Park's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at San Diego Fertility Center.
2020, Unknown Success
3 Egg Freezing With Other Docs
3 Embryo Freezing With Other Docs
His [Dr. Said Daneshmand] care is so personal, he is truly always available to his patients and no question is too small. He realizes how difficult it is to go through this process and takes it upon himself to engage fully with his patients...thoroughly reviewed ALL of my fertility history and assured me we would be successful...has an expertise in the field that cannot be replicated.
[San Diego Fertility Center] Does not feel like a factory like other centers. Warm, welcoming vibe. The surgery center is right downstairs which is very convenient and feels easier to manage than if you had to go to a hospital. Care is very personalized...communication with patients makes it feel like you are part of a family, not just another statistic. You get the feeling that they actually CARE if you get pregnant, and that they are doing everythign to help you get there.
How was your experience with Said Daneshmand at San Diego Fertility Center?
Dr. D is a gift to the world of fertility treatments. I wish every women could see him!! As a physician myself, I know how challenging it can be to connect to patients and make them feel heard. Dr. D has an innate ability to connect to patients, and he has an expertise in the field that cannot be replicated. I went to the "top" doctor in NYC before seeing him, and had awful results. When I met Dr. D, thoroughly reviewed ALL of my fertility history and assured me we would be successful. And he was right. I owe him so much!!!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Said Daneshmand at San Diego Fertility Center?
Go to him earlier rather than later!! Dont waste time at other clinics.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Said Daneshmand at San Diego Fertility Center?
After undergoing 3 unsuccessful cycles at Cornell in NYC, where I felt like I was being pushed through a factory system and rarely had contact with my doctor, Dr. D was a breath of fresh air!!! His care is so personal, he is truly always available to his patients and no question is too small. He realizes how difficult it is to go through this process and takes it upon himself to engage fully with his patients. His assistant, My, is equally as engaged and her communication with patients makes it feel like you are part of a family, not just another statistic. You get the feeling that they actually CARE if you get pregnant, and that they are doing everythign to help you get there.
Describe the protocols Said Daneshmand used in your cycles at San Diego Fertility Center and their degree of success.
IVF with gonal F, menopur, dexamethasone. retrieval, ICSI, frozen transfer, no PGTA.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at San Diego Fertility Center.
Always amazing!!! Always available to answer any questions, even on weekends. If anythign was clear, they explained right away.
Describe your experience with San Diego Fertility Center.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Said Daneshmand at San Diego Fertility Center.
$15k
Said Daneshmand

2023, Successful
[Susanna Park] is patient, calm and warm...takes the time to answer every questions you may have...replied to my emails, my concerns. I was very reassured to see her before my egg retrival...just may not have always enough time because she is very busy...Estrace 2mg tabs twice a day Gonal 300 Menopur 75 then increase of Menopur 150 and Cetrotide 0.25 And trigger with Pregnyl (HCG)
[San Diego Fertility Center] strengths...Clean Big With good nurses (they had lot of work so they have to see you fast)...my anesthetist was so funny...You are followed by your doctor since the biginning and until the end weaknesses lack of time, they have to do fast...Sarah was great, she speaks a little fast for us (because we are french and comprehension can be difficult). She is very available and nice.
How was your experience with Susanna Park at San Diego Fertility Center?
As I said before, she is patient, calm and warm. She takes the time to answer every questions you may have. She replied to my emails, my concerns. I was very reassured to see her before my egg retrival. She just may not have always enough time because she is very busy. But we are aware of that and respect it anyway.
Trust her, don,t hesitate to ask questions
She is very warm and kind. She takes her time to explain everything, she came to make me a hug the day of the egg retrival, she always answers by mail when I had questions
initially Estrace 2mg tabs twice a day Gonal 300 Menopur 75 then increase of Menopur 150 and Cetrotide 0.25 And trigger with Pregnyl (HCG)
Describe your experience with your nurse at San Diego Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Sarah York)
Describe your experience with San Diego Fertility Center.
Clinic's strengths : Clean Big With good nurses (they had lot of work so they have to see you fast). with supplies good doctors ++Dr Park and my anesthetist was so funny (but I don't remember his name) You are followed by your doctor since the biginning and until the end weaknesses lack of time, they have to do fast..
42 000 $
eSET prefered
Describe the specific things that went wrong at San Diego Fertility Center.
Just somebody told me that I have an appt for an ultrasounds on the morning, but it was the day of my egg retrival. It was a mistake. that's ok but we were stressed. For the trigger, I had to go to a pharmacy, but we get the instructions very late... we almost missed the pharmacist because he had to close the clinic.

2019 - 2022, Successful
LGBTQ+
Dr Park was extremely thorough in her explanations to us. She laid out the entire process to us during our initial consultation. Throughout our journey, we were treated like family, not like a number...She was kind and was enthusiastic about our journey. We really can't say enough about Dr Park...made sure we understood all the risk factors or scenarios we could run into, even scenarios that's weren't ideal. It was good to understand all the positive and negative things that could happen using surrogacy.
The [San Diego Fertility Center] clinic was clean and well kept. It was easy to get to and there was plenty of parking. They have nice, private room where you do your consulting with the different entities, like the finance aspect. The treatment rooms are nice as well...Dr Park was very thorough and made sure we understood each step of the process. She was kind and was enthusiastic about our journey. We really can't say enough about Dr Park and her staff. Everything was excellent.
How was your experience with Susanna Park at San Diego Fertility Center?
Trust what she is saying/doing.
Describe your experience with your nurse at San Diego Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Sarah)
All of the staff at SDFC treated us like family. We always felt like a priority to them.
Describe your experience with San Diego Fertility Center.
The clinic was clean and well kept. It was easy to get to and there was plenty of parking. They have nice, private room where you do your consulting with the different entities, like the finance aspect. The treatment rooms are nice as well.
The costs were about what I expected. We did our research, and the costs seemed fair compared to market costs.
Dr Park made sure we understood all the risk factors or scenarios we could run into, even scenarios that's weren't ideal. It was good to understand all the positive and negative things that could happen using surrogacy.

2017 - 2019, Successful
LGBTQ+
Dr. Park was amazing and always so clear in what the next steps were. She was kind and understanding and excited for our future...She was extremely knowledgeable and went above and beyond for us as patients. She was so clear and thorough as we were first time patience. We have since recommended her to lots of our friends! We LOVE her!
[San Diego Fertility Center] Nursing staff was wonderful! They were a little scattered when we were doing the RIVF and getting our cycles aligned with calendars and stuff, but they were very responsive when we had questions...Always very friendly and happy to see you! They were helpful in getting appointments scheduled and very flexible as things changes all the time based on cycles. We LOVE our clinic and have recommended to many friends.
How was your experience with Susanna Park at San Diego Fertility Center?
Go in with an open mind and she will help steer you in the best/most successful direction.
Describe your experience with San Diego Fertility Center.
We did pay up front and insurance wasn’t billed.
We tried with 2 embryos the first time and Dr Park discussed the chances of getting pregnant as well as the chances of twins. We felt completely knowledgeable about our options.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at San Diego Fertility Center.
Calendars were hard to follow and days were off on meds in the beginning but they worked with us to get everything corrected:)

2024, Successful
LGBTQ+
Dr. Park is so knowledgeable, thorough yet concise and just an overall pleasure to be around...She was so kind and explained everything in a way we could understand. She was so personable and made us feel so special...just completed our second surrogacy
[At San Diego Fertility Center] We love them all. They are all so professional and helpful...were welcoming, knowledgeable, kind and really stepped in to answer any questions we had...were fortunate enough to also find our egg donor trough them...Sarah...is amazing...positive, so helpful...good at checking in and being there for you each step of the way.
How was your experience with Susanna Park at San Diego Fertility Center?
Dr. Park and the entire team are the best. We just completed our second surrogacy with them and we couldn't be happier. Dr. Park is so knowledgeable, thorough yet concise and just an overall pleasure to be around.
Go with her!
Describe your experience with your nurse at San Diego Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Sarah York )
Sarah has also been with us for both of our surrogacies and she is amazing. She is positive, so helpful and they are so good at checking in and being there for you each step of the way.
Describe your experience with San Diego Fertility Center.
We love them all. They are all so professional and helpful. They were welcoming, knowledgeable, kind and really stepped in to answer any questions we had. We were fortunate enough to also find our egg donor trough them.
I believe about 30k each round. We did 2 rounds

2022, Unknown Success
The most knowledgeable trusted and experienced doctor I could ask for! He [Dr. Michael Kettel] always has answers and takes the time to address all concerns. I feel comfortable in one of the most scary situations I’ve ever been in under his care...Wonderful doctor with a wealth of knowledge and mastery in his field
It [San Diego Fertility Center] is immaculate, beautiful, clean and advanced! This was the nicest infertility clinic I’ve ever seen! I do however wish we were able to see the doctors themselves more often. They’re very patient for putting up with all of us who desperately want to have a child...the phlebotomists are INCREDIBLE and the lead nurses are great!
How was your experience with Michael Kettel at San Diego Fertility Center?
The most knowledgeable trusted and experienced doctor I could ask for! He always has answers and takes the time to address all concerns. I feel comfortable in one of the most scary situations I’ve ever been in under his care.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael Kettel at San Diego Fertility Center?
If he has availability, go see him!
Wonderful doctor with a wealth of knowledge and mastery in his field
Describe the protocols Michael Kettel used in your cycles at San Diego Fertility Center and their degree of success.
I’ve done 3 IUIs but had trouble ovulating twice before we moved to IVF. I’ve been on gonal f, menopur and cetrotide
Describe your experience with your nurse at San Diego Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Amanda )
Amanda is great, the phlebotomists are INCREDIBLE and the lead nurses are great!
Describe your experience with San Diego Fertility Center.
It is immaculate, beautiful, clean and advanced! This was the nicest infertility clinic I’ve ever seen! I do however wish we were able to see the doctors themselves more often. They’re very patient for putting up with all of us who desperately want to have a child!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Kettel at San Diego Fertility Center.
25k for one full IVF cycle + meds I believe
Describe Michael Kettel's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at San Diego Fertility Center.
They prefer to do a single FET for safety
Michael Kettel
2021 - 2022, Successful
Dr Park was very easy to talk to, communicated treatment plans, options, and the possible paths, very well. She answered all questions and treated me like a human being. Her staff were a dream to work with. I would highly recommend using Dr Park...Very thoughtful and professional. Listened and communicated well...very prompt and on top of everything
SDFC was easy to work with, were patient, answered all my questions and ensured that I understood. They were clear with the treatment plans and what was coming up next, and were very prompt and on top of everything. Highly recommended...All the staff were super friendly, very helpful, professional and compassionate...About $60k in total, of which about $13k was for an egg donor
How was your experience with Susanna Park at San Diego Fertility Center?
Dr Park was very easy to talk to, communicated treatment plans, options, and the possible paths, very well. She answered all questions and treated me like a human being. Her staff were a dream to work with. I would highly recommend using Dr Park and the San Diego Fertility Center.
Very thoughtful and professional. Listened and communicated well.
Describe your experience with your nurse at San Diego Fertility Center.
Describe your experience with San Diego Fertility Center.
SDFC was easy to work with, were patient, answered all my questions and ensured that I understood. They were clear with the treatment plans and what was coming up next, and were very prompt and on top of everything. Highly recommended!
About $60k in total, of which about $13k was for an egg donor
Explained the options and let me choose

2021, Successful
LGBTQ+
Dr Park was amazing in accompanying us through this journey, sharing all the information we needed and wanted, providing strong insights based on her experience to support us every steps of the way...has a genuinely human approach in treating her patients, what gave us full confidence we made the right choice in going to her...transparent communication was very helpful to make the best rationale decision in a time that is very emotionally challenging for patients...
We had interactions with Dr Park direclty and a lot of SDFC stakeholder. Each role was very clear and coordination across the different team members was very effective. So navigation was super smooth and guided all the way...Dr Park was very transparent, providing us all the necessary information for us to make the right decisions. She has a genuinely human approach make us 100% certain we made the right choice in selecting her...
How was your experience with Susanna Park at San Diego Fertility Center?
do not hesitate at all!!
Dr Park was amazing in accompanying us through this journey, sharing all the information we needed and wanted, providing strong insights based on her experience to support us every steps of the way. Dr Park has a genuinely human approach in treating her patients, what gave us full confidence we made the right choice in going to her.
Describe your experience with San Diego Fertility Center.
We had interactions with Dr Park direclty and a lot of SDFC stakeholder. Each role was very clear and coordination across the different team members was very effective. So navigation was super smooth and guided all the way, thanks to the great experience from SDFC.
40k$
Dr Park experience and transparent communication was very helpful to make the best rationale decision in a time that is very emotionally challenging for patients

LGBTQ+
I felt very valuable as a patient [of Dr. Susanna Park]...was very compassionate and helpful during every step. She answered all questions I had even when I received 4 negative pregnancy tests from my IUI treatments. During the consultation she explained everything in depth for me to understand and even gave my wife information if she wanted to donate her eggs...I used IUI with clomid and ovidrel injections.
The clinic [San Diego Fertility Center] remembers the patients. I walk through the door and the receptionist knew my name after a few visits. All the love and care the staff shows you, makes you feel so happy. The downfall is when you need a weekend appointment and you have to travel to Del Mar where that staff may not know you like the others do...[the nurses are] The absolute best. They always had a smile and showed so much joy for you during your visits. They were all wishing and hoping for a positive pregnancy every time.
How was your experience with Susanna Park at San Diego Fertility Center?
Susanna Park was very compassionate and helpful during every step. She answered all questions I had even when I received 4 negative pregnancy tests from my IUI treatments. During the consultation she explained everything in depth for me to understand and even gave my wife information if she wanted to donate her eggs.
Ask questions! She is there to help.
I felt very valuable as a patient
I used IUI with clomid and ovidrel injections.
Describe your experience with San Diego Fertility Center.
The clinic remembers the patients. I walk through the door and the receptionist knew my name after a few visits. All the love and care the staff shows you, makes you feel so happy. The downfall is when you need a weekend appointment and you have to travel to Del Mar where that staff may not know you like the others do.
IUI treatments are 700 each time

2020, Consult
[Dr. Susanna Park's] very patient and good at explaining things in a way that everyone can understand...She was so warm and showed a lot of empathy! She explained everything to us in great deal and even handed me a tissue when I was crying...She made us feel very comfortable and even explained things to us with drawings, pictures and diagrams. She encouraged us and we loved that she also works very closely with our fertility acupuncture clinic we go to.
So far, it [San Diego Fertility Center] seems to be very clean and welcoming. The front desk staff are always very sweet. Anytime we have sent an email, we have always gotten a prompt response! So far there have not been any weaknesses that I can think of since we haven’t actually started our cycle yet...Our Mini IVF was broken down into different categories. I think the cost before meds would be about $15K...[Dr. Susanna Park's] very patient and good at explaining things in a way that everyone can understand...She was so warm and showed a lot of empathy! She explained everything to us in great deal and even handed me a tissue when I was crying...She made us feel very comfortable and even explain
How was your experience with Susanna Park at San Diego Fertility Center?
Dr. Park greeted us with a very warm personality and kind regard. She made us feel very comfortable and even explained things to us with drawings, pictures and diagrams. She encouraged us and we loved that she also works very closely with our fertility acupuncture clinic we go to.
Just ask a lot of questions because she’s very patient and good at explaining things in a way that everyone can understand.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at San Diego Fertility Center.
We haven’t got that far yet.
Describe your experience with San Diego Fertility Center.
So far, it seems to be very clean and welcoming. The front desk staff are always very sweet. Anytime we have sent an email, we have always gotten a prompt response! So far there have not been any weaknesses that I can think of since we haven’t actually started our cycle yet.
San Diego - Mission Valley

Before our first meeting, Dr. Chuan read through my entire medical file but before she provided any insights or thoughts, she had my husband and I both provide individual summaries about our multi-year journey to getting pregnant and the interventions and hurdles we can encountered. Immediately after, she provided ideas and thoughts that were tied directly back to not only the information she read but also the information we volunteered. This is important because every appointment I saw her for after that point, she always referred to specific information either from my file or from what we shared. I never felt like a number because she always tapped into the parts of me that were personal and human through the entire experience.
My treatment team [at San Diego Fertility Center] consisted of Monica and Jenn in the SDFC Temecula office. Jenn was my nurse and Monica was my Nurse Practitioner. I could not have made it through my fertility journey without them. They both were honest women that showed compassion while being direct...we did not qualify for the success guarantee package...when you are a patient and on a treatment plan, they will do EVERYTHING to accommodate you and your schedule within the constraints of their time windows for specific appointments. BEFORE you become a patient though, it can feel a little cold or business-like. What I mean by that is, as a new patient reaching out to a fertility team/office, I felt like my emotions were high and the most important thing was getting an appointment as soon as possible. When I called, it felt like I was just any other human calling and that they would fit me in when it was convenient. As soon as I became a patient and
How was your experience with Sandy Chuan at San Diego Fertility Center?
Dr. Chuan is an incredible doctor that can present information to you that is honest and accurate but also kind at the same time. With fertility, sometimes it can feel really harsh hearing the cards you're dealt and I think Dr. Chuan walked the line of being upfront and honest with you but also knowing how to wrap the details with compassion and kindness. One thing I didn't realize going into it was that I would not see Dr. Chuan for every appointment. That didn't end up being a big deal for me since her staff was incredible and supportive BUT I know for some families, that is important and I think it should be shared if that is a concern for you as a patient.
I don't really have any. I don't think you need advice to see her. She was honest and factual with my husband and I and that was most important to me.
I don't remember the specifics BUT I do remember we skipped trying IUI with Dr. Chuan specifically. We had been working with a "natural" fertility specialist for the year leading up to deciding to go to Dr. Chuan. I had done exploratory surgeries and medications with the prior doctor that Dr. Chuan explained basically acted like IUI treatments even though they hadn't been presented that way. For that reason, Dr. Chuan recommended jumping into IVF because we had been unsuccessful thus far with the other interventions and essentially had unexplained infertility. I am dumbing this down a lot but we jumped in fast and I appreciated that because we had been trying for multiple years before that point and I was ready for answers and actions and that is what Dr. Chuan provided.
Describe your experience with your nurse at San Diego Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Monica)
My treatment team consisted of Monica and Jenn in the SDFC Temecula office. Jenn was my nurse and Monica was my Nurse Practitioner. I could not have made it through my fertility journey without them. They both were honest women that showed compassion while being direct. There are so many emotions when you are going through fertility and I can say having a staff that was consistently honest with me about my treatment and/or current state helped me keep my head straight and my feet on the ground and not let my imagination get the best of me. They were always available to answer questions or be the emotional support I needed when struggling through this journey. I cannot emphasize enough how important these two women were to my experience and success with this journey.
Describe your experience with San Diego Fertility Center.
This clinic's (Temecula - SDFC) strength is that when you are a patient and on a treatment plan, they will do EVERYTHING to accommodate you and your schedule within the constraints of their time windows for specific appointments. BEFORE you become a patient though, it can feel a little cold or business-like. What I mean by that is, as a new patient reaching out to a fertility team/office, I felt like my emotions were high and the most important thing was getting an appointment as soon as possible. When I called, it felt like I was just any other human calling and that they would fit me in when it was convenient. As soon as I became a patient and was developing relationships with the staff, it was literally like their arms opened up to me and I felt like I was taken care of constantly.
I don't remember the exact dollar amounts but we did not qualify for the success guarantee package which means that you pay a one time price for treatments (medication is never included in the cost-you pay that on your own) that I think was around $25k and you can have as many transfers as it takes to get a successful pregnancy. We ended up having to do a pay as we go program where we paid $15k which included a retrieval and transfer but since out first transfer didn't take we had to pay for a second one which I think was around $5k. Medications were probably between $6k-10k total for the retrieval and two transfers.
Describe Sandy Chuan's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at San Diego Fertility Center.
Dr. Chuan recommended single embryo transfer for us because of the rate of success and the fact that it is typically safer for both mom and baby. We had really wanted to do a multiple embryo transfer but we are not fertility specialists and are not well read on how the technology has changed. When she explained how much everything has improved and how much higher the chances are for implantation with a single embryo transfer, we followed her lead and guidance because we trusted her and it logically made sense.

LGBTQ+
Dr. Park is direct, clear, and warm as the San Diego sun. She was responsive via email, made time via Skype and in person, and answered all questions (even repeated questions as I scaled my fertility learning curve) with consistent enthusiasm. Importantly, my GC felt treated like a human...As I used a donor egg and GC, much was straight-forward. However, she explained that (as of 2019), the science showed that PGT provided no advantage in a successful pregnancy or in terms of the health of the child. She was clear that from a scientific perspective, the only reason to do PGT was for sex selection, which I opted not to do.
It was Dr. Park's approach and unique energy that drew me to SDFC and grounded me throughout the experience...The staff are positive and energetic. The building is bright and welcoming...I felt a bit of a southern California veneer about many of the staff and slickness about the design of the space. It's not thick, but I felt it. I'm a 20-year New Yorker who grew up in the Midwest, and culturally, any hint of falseness makes me a bit uneasy. Rest assured, they are all highly professional, and they took very good care of me.
How was your experience with Susanna Park at San Diego Fertility Center?
I met with Dr. Park twice via Skype and once in person before traveling to San Diego for treatment. Her enthusiasm for this work practically made me want to change careers and start working in fertility. When it came to choices like PGT or sex selection, she presented the facts, reasons people decide for or against, then remained neutral, leaving space for those very personal choices. She gave valuable insights throughout the process (advising on medical aspects of the GC contract, weighing potential risks of anti-nausea medication during pregnancy). I joined the transfer via Skype, and the way that she remained connected to my GC, to me, helped narrated each step, and executed the transfer was magical. I was thrilled to share photos of my newborn daughter with Dr. Park!
Dr. Park acts as a consummate professional and will treat you with caring and respect. She does not lord her expertise over you nor does she sugarcoat things or coddle you. If you need coddling, look elsewhere. If you want a smooth, caring, human process – strongly consider Dr. Park.
Dr. Park is direct, clear, and warm as the San Diego sun. She was responsive via email, made time via Skype and in person, and answered all questions (even repeated questions as I scaled my fertility learning curve) with consistent enthusiasm. Importantly, my GC felt treated like a human. Dr. Park is clearly motivated by helping people create and grow families.
As I used a donor egg and GC, much was straight-forward. However, she explained that (as of 2019), the science showed that PGT provided no advantage in a successful pregnancy or in terms of the health of the child. She was clear that from a scientific perspective, the only reason to do PGT was for sex selection, which I opted not to do. Pregnancy and birth on first transfer, and today I have a healthy, beautiful newborn girl. Another area where we discussed treatment strategies was around genetic testing. I initially selected a first-time donor. Once the results of her genetic testing came in, we matched for a genetic variant that had a rather high likelihood of expressing as disease in a child. (The donor's particular variant was actually quite common and less problematic; mine was the one that made it tricky.) I consulted with the folks at Invitae (wonderful, btw) and with Dr. Park. She was direct, clear, and compassionate in giving me excellent information that helped me decide to go with a different egg donor.
Describe your experience with your nurse at San Diego Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Sarah York then Bonnie Harrison)
Sarah York was the nurse for one phase of the process. She was good – responsive, knowledgeable, organized, caring. Bonnie Harrison was the nurse for a later phase. I never met her in person or via Skype, which made communication feel a bit less connected. Otherwise, Bonnie was similarly responsive, knowledgeable, and organized.
Describe your experience with San Diego Fertility Center.
The staff are positive and energetic. The building is bright and welcoming. There were signs on the doors of various meeting rooms welcoming intended parents. I felt a bit of a southern California veneer about many of the staff and slickness about the design of the space. It's not thick, but I felt it. I'm a 20-year New Yorker who grew up in the Midwest, and culturally, any hint of falseness makes me a bit uneasy. Rest assured, they are all highly professional, and they took very good care of me. It was Dr. Park's approach and unique energy that drew me to SDFC and grounded me throughout the experience.
At the time (2019) San Diego gave the option of single or double embryo transfer. However, with strong embryos and a surrogate with no fertility issues, the strongly advised approach was single embryo transfer, which is what I did.
2023, Successful
I found Dr. Friedman to be incredibly warm and intelligent. I instantly felt like I was in good care. She was well versed on my case and chart notes by our first meeting, which put me at ease. I felt she was up to date on the latest research and methods- she would offer reasoning for her opinions and guidance based on research which she would share. She treated me as a collaborator...She explained things with an ease and thoroughness that was incredibly helpful. She showed up and offered comfort before and after egg retrieval and our transfer. I always felt like she remembered us and our case.
The [San Diego Fertility Center] clinic has everything on-site which was wonderful. The staff was organized and the entire process required minimal, if any, follow up on my part. From the initial call to billing, we felt supported by the entire clinic...The coordination staff and nursing staff was fantastic. They were available and quick to respond to my questions. They listened to my concerns and took actions that brought me great ease and comfort. They were knowledgeable and thorough in their explanations. The nurses always took their time in appointments to answer any and all questions. Importantly, they would check if unsure and always followed up.
How was your experience with Brooke Friedman at San Diego Fertility Center?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Brooke Friedman at San Diego Fertility Center?
Trust that she truly has an eye on what's going on and your process.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Brooke Friedman at San Diego Fertility Center?
Dr. Friedman is an incredibly smart, kind, and personable doctor. She explained things with an ease and thoroughness that was incredibly helpful. She showed up and offered comfort before and after egg retrieval and our transfer. I always felt like she remembered us and our case.
Describe your experience with your nurse at San Diego Fertility Center.
Describe your experience with San Diego Fertility Center.
The clinic has everything on-site which was wonderful. The staff was organized and the entire process required minimal, if any, follow up on my part. From the initial call to billing, we felt supported by the entire clinic.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brooke Friedman at San Diego Fertility Center.
Most importantly, I never once gelt nickel and dime'd. While this process is expensive, I knew upfront what everything would cost and didn't have to think about it again.
Brooke Friedman

2022, Successful
LGBTQ+
Dr. Park is very warm, approachable, and honest. She gained our trust early in the process...If there were any potential risks she made us aware of them. When out first transfer was unsuccessful, Dr. Park immediately called a meeting with us to discuss next steps, change in strategy and reasons for the change. She even spelled out the worst case scenario and at what point we would need to consider a different surrogate potentially. It was things we didn't want to always hear, but truly needed to hear...
[San Diego Fertility Center] Strength was communication in outlining key dates, test results, etc. Whenever we were unclear on anything, our emails (and surrogates emails) were answered quickly. Sarah [nurse] generally was very sweet and warm from our first zoom call and the entire process...Determining which 'plan' we would go into contract for was the most confusing I would say. Dr. Park explained the differences and we understood what each plan equated to contractually with the clinic...
How was your experience with Susanna Park at San Diego Fertility Center?
Dr. Park was thorough and honest from the onset. If there were any potential risks she made us aware of them. When out first transfer was unsuccessful, Dr. Park immediately called a meeting with us to discuss next steps, change in strategy and reasons for the change. She even spelled out the worst case scenario and at what point we would need to consider a different surrogate potentially. It was things we didn't want to always hear, but truly needed to hear. At all point we understood what our surrogate was undergoing so we could provide her as much support possible too. We truly felt every decision SDFC encouraged us to make, was in our best interest.
Strength was communication in outlining key dates, test results, etc. Whenever we were unclear on anything, our emails (and surrogates emails) were answered quickly. Sarah generally was very sweet and warm from our first zoom call and the entire process.
Describe your experience with San Diego Fertility Center.
Strengths: overall knowledge and expertise. We came across SDFC at the MHB conference in NYC. Every panel Dr. Park (or SDFC team members generally) spoke on, they instantly won viewers over. The confidence, and displayed knowledge made you want to speak further with the team. I would say marketing is definitely a strength of theirs. SDFC know their subject matter, and can speak for hours on it. No real weaknesses I would say. Determining which 'plan' we would go into contract for was the most confusing I would say. Dr. Park explained the differences and we understood what each plan equated to contractually with the clinic. I think the risk vs. reward in the packages from a percentage of success standpoint could have been clearer perhaps?
Dr. Park strongly encouraged a single embryo transfer.
2020 - 2021, Successful
She [Dr. Park] really tailored her approach to our specific situation and discussed options that were in line with what we needed; very much a personlized experience. Great communication...She suggested multiple embryo transfer but we ultimately opted for single; she didn't pressure us but was supportive...Dr. Park was always very open and honest in talking to us about our options and the considerations for different treatment paths...
She [nurse at San Diego Fertility Center] was very quick to respond by email but not very clear; she often did not answer our questions in her response. Very cheery but often not very helpful and sometimes confusing in her responses. We never had the opportunity to meet her in person (although we were there in person ourselves). If doing it over we would request a different nurse coordinator...
How was your experience with Susanna Park at San Diego Fertility Center?
e had a great experience with Dr. Susanna Park. Dr. Park was always very open and honest in talking to us about our options and the considerations for different treatment paths. She really tailored her approach to our specific situation and discussed options that were in line with what we needed; very much a personlized experience. Great communication. Highly recommend!
Don't hesitate to share preferences and hesitations, priorities with her; be candid.
She was very quick to respond by email but not very clear; she often did not answer our questions in her response. Very cheery but often not very helpful and sometimes confusing in her responses. We never had the opportunity to meet her in person (although we were there in person ourselves). If doing it over we would request a different nurse coordinator.
Describe your experience with San Diego Fertility Center.
Generally good atmosphere and very efficient operations. One of the receptionists there is especially fantastic - always friendly, helpful, and super sharp. The only challenge is that we saw such a variety of different nurses and doctors and we never knew who we would see at a given appointment.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at San Diego Fertility Center.
Our nurse coordinator had some recurring trouble communicating with the pharmacy; on a several occasions it required quite a bit of follow up from our side as prescriptions were forgotten or incorrect.

LGBTQ+
During our consult she [Dr. Sandy Chuan] was warm and shared stories of past experiences and was very easy to relate too. She was informative without speaking too technical...Very professional and knowledgeable...She went with the best program for me, not immediately to IVF...I was initially told to try IUI first as I've never tried to conceive. I had a HSG performed along with genetic testing to make it easier to find a sperm donor who wouldn't share a genetic abnormality. I had donor sperm shipped to main facility and it was ready for use for insemination. I did one normal unassisted cycle but ovulated prematurely. For my next cycle I used Clomid to increase the odds of healthy follicles. After the second cycle I had a positive pregnancy result.
I had a HSG performed [at San Diego Fertility Center] along with genetic testing to make it easier to find a sperm donor who wouldn't share a genetic abnormality. I had donor sperm shipped to main facility and it was ready for use for insemination. I did one normal unassisted cycle but ovulated prematurely...After the second cycle I had a positive pregnancy result...Both [nurses] were very supportive and remembered our names when we came into the office.... For my HSG it was between $100-175. I had my lab work done for free. For my first cycle it was $700, it was cancelled before insemination. For the next cycle it was $250 and was fully completed. I paid $80 for the Clomid and trigger shot, as it was partially covered by insurance. I also paid for genetic testing of my blood which was $250.00.
How was your experience with Sandy Chuan at San Diego Fertility Center?
Very professional and knowledgeable. The staff in her office was the best. Her NP, Monica, and the other assistants, both Jenns included made me and my spouse feel very welcomed. I would recommend her to anyone who is trying to conceive. She went with the best program for me, not immediately to IVF.
Be patient of any setbacks and stay positive! She has your best interest at heart.
During our consult she was warm and shared stories of past experiences and was very easy to relate too. She was informative without speaking too technical
Describe your experience with your nurse at San Diego Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Monica (NP) and Jenn Hoffman)
Both were very supportive and remembered our names when we came into the office. Their focus was the same as ours and I felt they genuinely cared.
Describe your experience with San Diego Fertility Center.
Easy location to find, clean and new building. Weakness is that is closed the weekends so you have to travel to another office for appointments. There is also no financial counseling on site. Other than those couple of things, the office is big and has an ample amount of rooms to see its patients. The waiting room is well set up as well.
I paid out of pocket for my expenses. For my HSG it was between $100-175. I had my lab work done for free. For my first cycle it was $700, it was cancelled before insemination. For the next cycle it was $250 and was fully completed. I paid $80 for the Clomid and trigger shot, as it was partially covered by insurance. I also paid for genetic testing of my blood which was $250.00.
Temecula

Dr Park is very sweet and professional. She carefully answered our questions, went through every detail we needed and was very available for us. She was very patient and took time to know us and our story... preferred single embryo transfer but a organised a Skype with our surrogate And us to discuss the other options after the first pregnancy ended with a miscarriage. Very open but professional recommendations...
The clinic [San Diego Fertility Center] is very welcoming, proper and well located. The staff is pleasant and professional. We feel confident as soon as we enter in the clinic. Every appointment has been done on time, no delay and the staff took the time we needed to feel confident (no rush)...packages for the IVF and the transfer to the surrogate have been proposed and then refined together to suit our needs.
How was your experience with Susanna Park at San Diego Fertility Center?
Dr Park is an amazing doctor, professional and human. She is sweet and knows how to reassure and explains every step very clearly. She answers also emails personally and very properly. She was involved in our journey from day 1 to our baby girl birth and even beyond!!
Go with Dr Park. The clinic is great but I only trust 100% Dr Park among all the doctors.
Describe your experience with your nurse at San Diego Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie Sahadeo )
Stephanie is a very clear and human nurse. She supported us all along the process and carefully listened to our concerns or fears. She made the things very understandable and makes her sure everything was okay for us. We were able to join her each time we needed even during the weekend. Very supportive, nice and sweet
Describe your experience with San Diego Fertility Center.
The clinic is very welcoming, proper and well located. The staff is pleasant and professional. We feel confident as soon as we enter in the clinic. Every appointment has been done on time, no delay and the staff took the time we needed to feel confident (no rush)
Different packages for the IVF and the transfer to the surrogate have been proposed and then refined together to suit our needs. The costing was very clear and details : no bad surprise. Main costs were Eggs retrieval procedure and fertilisation including monitoring to prepare, surrogate preparation and monitoring including Medication for one cycle, transfer and PGT if needed. A success garantie package was one of the option we choosen.
Dr Park shared with us the different options : PGT or not, single embryo transfer VS transfer of 2 embryos. She gave us the advantage/disadvantage of each and the associated risks (biopsy of embryos for PGT, twins pregnancy, increase of only few % of pregnancy success if multiple embryos transfer). She preferred single embryo transfer but a organised a Skype with our surrogate And us to discuss the other options after the first pregnancy ended with a miscarriage. Very open but professional recommendations

Investment Banker
LGBTQ+
After watching her video speaking at a conference on the MHB website, I instantly decided that I wanted to use both Dr Park and SDFC for our journey...[she] is hugely approachable and even though we had not met her physically by the time we started the process (only on Skype as we are from England), it did not distract from the process as all. You get the real sense that [she] and the rest of the SDFC team really care about what they are doing, they are passionate and want the best outcomes for patients, IPs and of course babies.
SDFC clinic is not the cheapest clinic as far as I can tell from my research. However, we were blessed with success on the first transfer and around 8 embryos have been created from a single egg donation. Overall, I would say that this is a very good result...There were a couple of nursing staff who provided us with regular updates. They were friendly and approachable.
How was your experience with Susanna Park at San Diego Fertility Center?
Dr Park is hugely approachable and even though we had not met her physically by the time we started the process (only on Skype as we are from England), it did not distract from the process as all. You get the real sense that Dr Park and the rest of the SDFC team really care about what they are doing, they are passionate and want the best outcomes for patients, IPs and of course babies.
Dr Park is very approachable. I would recommend watching some of the videos on Youtube and the Men Having Babies website. After watching her video speaking at a conference on the MHB website, I instantly decided that I wanted to use both Dr Park and SDFC for our journey.
Dr Park is super friendly and approachable. We very much felt a part of the process even though we are in England and had to have calls via Skype. I was lucky enough to meet Dr Park at a conference when she was in London and even though she didn't know I was going to be there, she instantly knew who I was and was approachable, friendly and open. When we got our embryos she carefully explained each step, the risks and rewards e.g. of testing, etc.
Dr Park provided us with information on IUI, PGT testing and other things through the process. I don't remember the technical specifics but at each stage we were confident that we were equipped with the information we needed to make the right decisions for us.
Describe your experience with San Diego Fertility Center.
The costs were dealt with by the finance department. The structure of the costs were set out with three different streams of programs to choose from.
As IPs we had decided we only wanted a single transfer so there was no debate around this.
LGBTQ+ Care

She [Dr. Sandy Chuan] has an amazing bedside manner and takes the necessary time to listen to needs of patients. One of the best bedside manners I have ever experienced in all physician patient encounters I have seen...My first transfer failed and was a chemical pregnancy but Dr chuan really encouraged us and changed my protocol and felt hope that we would be pregnant even when I was losing hope and down and second transfer with single embryo was successful and I’m currently Pregnant in my second trimester. I feel Dr chuan was invested in my Success and I trusted her every step of the way and it paid off. She was never too busy for me and always made me and my husband feel she would do whatever it took within her capacity to get us a baby. I absolutely love Dr Chuan and as a doctor myself was so impressed with her skill, her bedside manner and her knowledge. She gets the best recommendation from Me
Jenn [nurse at San Diego Fertility Center] was very responsive which was really nice. I’m a very type A person and going through Ivf you lose a lot of control so it was really nice to have jenn to respond to my needs quickly and ease the anxiety...I did 2 egg retrieval’s back to back which worked out to be about $28k in that cost included a transfer. My second transfer was $4200 around there. Also had a hysteroscopy for $2500. The medications for stimulation were expensive and added an extra $7k to total costs. But to me was all worth it.
How was your experience with Sandy Chuan at San Diego Fertility Center?
Dr. Chuan from the moment my husband and I met her for our initial consultation showed us kindness and empathy. It was clear to us she was very invested in her patients and their success. My case was complicated as I had uterine fibroids and Dr Chuan was very honest and said I needed to have a myomectomy before she can do an egg retrieval due to large size of my fibroids. After having my myomectomy I waited 6 weeks before doing my first egg retrieval and only got 2 PgS normal embryos and Dr chuan took time to explain to me and my husband why another retrieval was a good idea. We did another retrieval back to back with much more success and got 5 PGS normal embryos. I had to wait 6 months post myomectomy to do a transfer and with covid was more. When I was finally ready to do a transfer My first transfer failed and was a chemical pregnancy but Dr chuan really encouraged us and changed my protocol and felt hope that we would be pregnant even when I was losing hope and down and second transfer with single embryo was successful and I’m currently Pregnant in my second trimester. I feel Dr chuan was invested in my Success and I trusted her every step of the way and it paid off. She was never too busy for me and always made me and my husband feel she would do whatever it took within her capacity to get us a baby. I absolutely love Dr Chuan and as a doctor myself was so impressed with her skill, her bedside manner and her knowledge. She gets the best recommendation from Me
Trust her! She knows what she is doing and she wants her patients to succeed.
She has an amazing bedside manner and takes the necessary time to listen to needs of patients. One of the best bedside manners I have ever experienced in all physician patient encounters I have seen
When my first transfer was a chemical I felt very sad and I didn’t expect it to fail since was a pgs normal embryo and I had a hysteroscopy before and uterine cavity looked ok. Dr chuan gave me option to Do receptiva test only cause she said due to my fibroids I may have andenomyosis or endometriosis and also did ERA. My receptiva was normal and ERA mildly Prereceptive. She ultimately felt the first transfer failed due to embryo. Next transfer she changed my protocol to Lupron and It was successful. She never gave up even when I wanted to.
Describe your experience with your nurse at San Diego Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Jenn Hoffman )
Jenn was very responsive which was really nice. I’m a very type A person and going through Ivf you lose a lot of control so it was really nice to have jenn to respond to my needs quickly and ease the anxiety
Describe your experience with San Diego Fertility Center.
Strengths are friendly staff, really nice facility makes you feel VIP, draw their own labs for hormone checks and pregnancy tests, doctors are all professional and nice. Surgery center is downstairs from the clinic so very convenient
Dr chuan felt strongly about just doing a elective single embryo transfer as we didn’t want twins due to the stress of my job and we had PGS normal embryos. After first transfer failed I asked her if we should do 2 embryos instead as this would increase my chances and she suggested doing one this time since I had a lot of embryos and if this didn’t work then we can do 2! So glad I listened to her cause now I’m pregnant with one embryo and twins would have been very stressful for me and my husband

2018 - 2020, Successful
Donor Eggs With Other Docs
[Dr. Chaun] was great with providing statistical data to manage your expectations while providing these facts in a very gentle manner. With each IVF protocal I went through, she would tweak the medication or the protocal I was to under go based on how the prior protocal went. I had poor egg quality and a low ovarian reserve but after 4 rounds of IVF, we were able to get one PGS normal embryo! Dr. Chuan knew how important this one embryo was to me and would often personally do my ultrasounds, check ups and hysteroscopy herself.
SDFC staff were all very personable and knew who I was and what procedure I was undergoing every time I came into the office...very clean and easy to find with ample parking. Staff there are great not only in the clinic side but also the surgical team for egg retrievals, nursing staff and embryologists. The lab team was wonderful also and got back to me very quickly with questions...The order sheet tends to have an oversupply of what to purchase and sometimes you're left with pricey medication that you've paid for but haven't used.
How was your experience with Sandy Chuan at San Diego Fertility Center?
Dr. Chuan cares. She cares about you as her patient and is very understanding of what you're going through. She was great with providing statistical data to manage your expectations while providing these facts in a very gentle manner. With each IVF protocal I went through, she would tweak the medication or the protocal I was to under go based on how the prior protocal went. I had poor egg quality and a low ovarian reserve but after 4 rounds of IVF, we were able to get one PGS normal embryo! Dr. Chuan knew how important this one embryo was to me and would often personally do my ultrasounds, check ups and hysteroscopy herself. I remember she wanted everything to be perfect before we went through with the embryo transfer. I did have several cancelled transfers due to my lining not being thick enough and each time Dr. Chuan would apologize and change my protocal slightly to get me the best results. I fondly remember her saying "we only have one", and I knew how important this was to her as it was to me. Her taking her time and waiting until the perfect moment paid off as I had my baby girl in November 2020. She was right when she told me, "it only takes one".
As it pertains to purchasing the fertility medication, it's very pricey. I wish I had known I didn't need to purchase everything they noted on the order sheet all at once. As the cycle progresses, Dr. Chuan may increase or decrease certain medications. The order sheet tends to have an oversupply of what to purchase and sometimes you're left with pricey medication that you've paid for but haven't used. I learned you can order just enough to cover you for a couple days at a time and keep calling the pharmacy for a certain amount to last a couple days or through the weekend to ensure you only purchase what you need. It takes extra time and you have to be very organized with what your dosage is and also have to make extra trips to the pharmacy but it ended up saving us thousands of dollars in medication that otherwise would have been leftover.
Dr. Chuan and the SDFC staff were all very personable and knew who I was and what procedure I was undergoing every time I came into the office. They would say hi to me by name and were all very friendly from the ladies at the front desk to the phlebotomists. Most importantly, I had a mini breakdown after my first IVF egg retrieval which resulted in 0 embryos. Dr. Chuan very kindly set aside time to talk to me that very day about my options and what my next steps would be. She was very empathetic to how I was feeling and when she spoke to me, she talked to me like a friend and not just a doctor to patient which I really appreciated. Under Dr. Chuan's care, I felt like she really understood how important this was to me on a personal level and I felt like she was my cheerleader keeping my hopes up when things seemed dire while still managing my expectations. I can't say enough great things about Dr. Chuan and her staff.
My first IVF cycle, I was a "sandwich" protocol that resulted in low retrieved eggs and 0 embryos. My second IVF cycle was an Antagonist protocol that resulted in more retrieved eggs and 2 embryos however the embryos were not normal. My third protocol used estrace and testosterone gel that resulted in low retrieved eggs however the eggs were better quality. This was the cycle that we had our daughter out of. My last cycle was the antagonist protocol again that resulted in one embryo that was abnormal.
Describe your experience with your nurse at San Diego Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Shannon Martinelli)
The primary contact I had was with Shannon Martinelli, Dr. Chuan's medical assistant at the Del Mar Clinic. She was great at responding to my many many questions throughly and responded to me very quickly. Everyone I came into contact with was very helpful, kind and knowledgeable.
Describe your experience with San Diego Fertility Center.
The clinic is very clean and easy to find with ample parking. Staff there are great not only in the clinic side but also the surgical team for egg retrievals, nursing staff and embryologists. The lab team was wonderful also and got back to me very quickly with questions. I have no complaints with anyone I have came into contact with at this clinic.
I paid approximately $85,000 for 4 rounds of IVF including medication.
San Diego - Del Mar Main

I did not see [Dr. Chuan] as much as I expected, but I learned quickly that this was the norm and you see your Dr for the really important stuff. She was always straight forward with the information and answered all of my questions...compassionate and was never rude or hard to communicate with...also listened to my own suggestions and would give me practical feedback...She understood exactly why we were doing IVF and allowed us to make our own path.
[Nurse at San Diego Fertility Center] answered my emails promptly and even laughed with me when I asked crazy questions...kept me in the loop and if she didn't know the answer she would get it for me. She kept me connected to Dr. Chaun. Everyone I came in contact with rather in person or through email was very approachable and personable...
How was your experience with Sandy Chuan at San Diego Fertility Center?
I did not see my Dr as much as I expected, but I learned quickly that this was the norm and you see your Dr for the really important stuff. She was always straight forward with the information and answered all of my questions. She was compassionate and was never rude or hard to communicate with. She understood exactly why we were doing IVF and allowed us to make our own path.
Go in being open and honest, the more information you give her the better the feedback and treatment options you will have.
My nurse Jenn was excellent! We would always chat and she remembered my treatments. During my IUI's I had nurse, Monica, she was also great. Dr. Chuan also listened to my own suggestions and would give me practical feedback.
My egg retrieval was standard, towards the end my medication was reduced due to high estrogen levels and the risk of OHSS. The outcome was no OHSS. For my first transfer, I also think it was standard protocol. It failed. Before my next transfer I requested an ERA, she told me they usually don't do those until multiple failed transfers but honored my request and I had ERA/Receptiva completed. After my 2nd failed transfer, she offered to use the same protocol but also offered me a more medicated process similar to the process of someone who had endometriosis since my ERA/Receptiva results were borderline and the option for blood thinners, more steroids, and intralipids. I opted for this method because I wanted to do all we could and not wait for another failed transfer to try these things.
Describe your experience with your nurse at San Diego Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Jenn Hoffman & Monica)
Jenn was very upbeat and available for my questions. She answered my emails promptly and even laughed with me when I asked crazy questions. She kept me in the loop and if she didn't know the answer she would get it for me. She kept me connected to Dr. Chaun. Everyone I came in contact with rather in person or through email was very approachable and personable.
Describe your experience with San Diego Fertility Center.
I started at the Temecula site, and ended up having to drive to the San Diego office for everything once I started the IVF process. They have longer wait times but it wasn't terrible. The front desk staff at the San Diego office seemed really busy but they were still nice.
Most of it was covered by insurance, out of pocket I think we paid close to maybe 10K including prescriptions.
My insurance only covered single embryo transfer, but my Dr said we could discuss multiples at a later time if needed.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at San Diego Fertility Center.
I had an appointment get lost, but the fixed it as soon as I arrived. I did not get some of my test results but when I emailed the nurses they were provided.
Temecula
Dr. Chuan was wonderful to work with from the moment we met her. She is very personable, warm, and has a great bedside manner, but is also very good at providing the realistic facts of the situation. She didn't sugarcoat our chances of success, but was able to set realistic expectations with us. With each appointment, she took the time to answer all of our questions and make sure we understood next steps...clearly explained our options to us from the first visit. She set realistic expectations - discussing the changes of success, specific to my diagnosis and age group. She was genuine at each visit, and always caring, supportive, and enthusiastic. I would not hesitate to recommend her to anyone.
All the nursing and support staff were amazing [at San Diego Fertility Center] - though we were assigned a primary care coordinator, when she went on maternity leave, everyone that helped cover was very helpful. They were quick to respond to emails or phone messages regarding any questions I had. Jenn even went above and beyond to mail us the gender of our baby upon our request, and make it a special package for us to open. Prior to proceeding with our first cycle for egg retrieval, we had a spontaneous pregnancy. When we reported this, everyone on staff was so happy and supportive. Unfortunately we experienced a miscarriage, but were able to move forward with successful treatments.
How was your experience with Sandy Chuan at San Diego Fertility Center?
Dr. Chuan clearly explained our options to us from the first visit. She set realistic expectations - discussing the changes of success, specific to my diagnosis and age group. She was genuine at each visit, and always caring, supportive, and enthusiastic. I would not hesitate to recommend her to anyone.
Trust the process and ask any questions you may have.
Dr. Chuan was wonderful to work with from the moment we met her. She is very personable, warm, and has a great bedside manner, but is also very good at providing the realistic facts of the situation. She didn't sugarcoat our chances of success, but was able to set realistic expectations with us. With each appointment, she took the time to answer all of our questions and make sure we understood next steps. Additionally, her support staff was amazing. The amount of information can be overwhelming, but they were so organized and able to help us stay on top of everything we needed to do.
Stimulation protocols for egg retrieval included Menopur and Gonal-F, with increased doses of Menopur as we got closer to egg retrieval. We used cetrotide for ~5 days, and then Ovidrel (preferred to Pregnyl by insurance) to stimulate ovulation. With both cycles, follicles grew as expected, though a little slower the second time around. Each time I had ~8 follicles available. We retrieved 6 on cycle one, resulting in 4 embryos, of which 2 were good quality after PGS. The second cycle was even more successful than expected, retrieving 7 eggs, 4 embryos making it to the blastocyst stage, and all 4 with positive PGS results.
Describe your experience with your nurse at San Diego Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Shannon Martinelli; Jenn Hoffman)
All the nursing and support staff were amazing - though we were assigned a primary care coordinator, when she went on maternity leave, everyone that helped cover was very helpful. They were quick to respond to emails or phone messages regarding any questions I had. Jenn even went above and beyond to mail us the gender of our baby upon our request, and make it a special package for us to open. Prior to proceeding with our first cycle for egg retrieval, we had a spontaneous pregnancy. When we reported this, everyone on staff was so happy and supportive. Unfortunately we experienced a miscarriage, but were able to move forward with successful treatments.
Describe your experience with San Diego Fertility Center.
This clinic is wonderful at being organized and breaking everything down simply to prevent you from feeling overwhelmed. It was always easy to schedule an appointment. All the staff were great to work with and had great bedside manner. Special shout out to Laura Dunn who helped us navigate through insurance and billing. Everything seemed to go very smoothly for us; SDFC staff work very well together as a team. I especially like their approach of discussing cases between the various reproductive endocrinologists to get the best results for their patients. I have some friends that received care through other clinics, which they did not recommend I use due to issues with not feeling cared for, heard, and questionable billing practices.
Prepaid cash price for 2 egg retrievals (with PGS for 8 embryos) and one embryo transfer: $31,556 Total out of pocket cost was lower due to services covered by insurance