6.8
6.8

LGBTQ+ Care
LGBTQ+ Care

Ratings of 1 indicate an unsatisfactory LGBTQ+ care.

Ratings of 10 indicate an excellent LGBTQ+ care.

7.3

Woodbridge
13580 Groupe Drive
Woodbridge, VA 22192

2013, Unsuccessful
I was happy with the efficiency of the Shady Grove process, however, the waiting room area can feel very impersonal and crowded at times. Jordan was our point person for everything. She was on the ball, cheerful and genuinely wanted to see us succeed for us and not for the statistics of the clinic.
How was your experience with Michael Levy at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Levy has a long track record of several decades treating patients for infertility. He is affable and personable and confident in his abilities. For those with less challenging or complex fertility issues, I believe he would be a good fit. I did not feel in our case, as we discovered we discovered we had challenges, that he was flexible or open-minded in our chances for a successful round.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael Levy at Shady Grove Fertility?
He has a long history of treating patients and I believe there is something to be said for this depth of experience. However, if you discover you are a more challenging case, I would encourage exploring other doctors.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael Levy at Shady Grove Fertility?
I was happy with the efficiency of the Shady Grove process, however, the waiting room area can feel very impersonal and crowded at times. With regard to our specific treatment by Dr. Levy, I thought he was very quick to jump the gun after our second failed IVF and suggest thinking about donor eggs. Not only did this seem premature to me, but it made me feel like my doctor was willing to go to bat for me.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jordan Blades)
2013, Successful
He [Dr. Bromer] knew my case and details and was very good at relaying information...We had a great experience. He adjusted cycles as needed and was great with communicating. He was personable and answered and questions we had. He was nice, sincere, empathetic, and genuine...able to diagnose and determine a treatment plan for us in a short amount of time
Everyone was incredibly nice and polite. I did not meet a single person [at Shady Grove Fertility-Frederick] I wasn’t happy with or felt or off by. My nurse was fantastic and answered my questions in a timely manner both through email and phone calls. The bloodwork nurses were fantastic as well...We did a shared risk program and paid $22,000 for our IVF. Medication was an extra expense. Our fresh cycle was approximately $7,000 in medication. The two frozen cycles were approximately $5000 in medication.
How was your experience with Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility?
We had a great experience. He adjusted cycles as needed and was great with communicating. He was personable and answered and questions we had. He was nice, sincere, empathetic, and genuine. I was very happy with our experience with Dr. Bromer.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility?
Ask questions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility?
He knew my case and details and was very good at relaying information.
Describe the protocols Jason Bromer used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
I do not remember specifics. I triggered with Lupron.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility.
Everyone was incredibly nice and polite. I did not meet a single person. I wasn’t happy with or felt or off by. My nurse was fantastic and answered my questions in a timely manner both through email and phone calls. The bloodwork nurses were fantastic as well.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
My clinic was great with communication and empathy. Everyone was polite and knowledgeable. They were able to diagnose and determine a treatment plan for us in a short amount of time. I think future patients should not judge the clinic by their first visit. You are literally a number when you go in for a consultation, but you become family.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe Jason Bromer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Jason Bromer
2012 - 2013, Successful
Surrogacy With Other Docs
I had only a couple short meetings with her throughout the process. She [Dr Osborn] was my first doctor so I did not know all the questions to ask, I found out most information online...Ask lots of questions. Ask her to tell you the numbers. I had to ask a few times to get to the bottom of it - I asked "Based on my numbers, what is the estimated number of cycles it will take to get to a live birth?" Then her answer was 2.6
Shady Grove is a factory. Good results, but I only saw Dr. Osborn 3 times the whole time I was there...Multiple locations, convenient, runs like a well oiled machine, but also feels like an assembly line...I actually signed up for shared risk program where you pay 2.5 times the cost of one cycle, with money returned if there was no live birth after 6 cycles.
How was your experience with Barbara Osborn at Shady Grove Fertility?
I had only a couple short meetings with her throughout the process. She was my first doctor so I did not know all the questions to ask, I found out most information online..
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Barbara Osborn at Shady Grove Fertility?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Barbara Osborn at Shady Grove Fertility?
Describe the protocols Barbara Osborn used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
300 Gonal-f, 225 Menopur
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Linda Hocker)
I needed to get 1 extra vial for an extra day of meds but could not get it from the pharmacy downstairs and Linda was able to call the office and get me one
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Barbara Osborn at Shady Grove Fertility.
2010 - 2013, Successful
They [Shady Grove Fertility] did a nice job dealing with the insurance and let us know what we might have to pay for and how to get our drugs from insurance.Very helpful with scheduling appointments...Wish she [Dr. Osborn] had looked at why I couldn't do this on my own but on the whole she is a kind and caring doctor. In the end I did get the one thing I wanted... and then some. My twins are here because of her...We planned an IUI. She watched and my eggs took a long time to grow so lots of extra FSH shots. We had success on our first try...always felt like to goal was to just have a baby .. not to find out why I couldn't get pregnant on my own
How was your experience with Barbara Osborn at Shady Grove Fertility?
Wish she had looked at why I couldn't do this on my own but on the whole she is a kind and caring doctor. In the end I did get the one thing I wanted... and then some. My twins are here because of her.
Ask why you can't get pregnant on your own... there are other medical issues from infertility
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
They did a nice job dealing with the insurance and let us know what we might have to pay for and how to get our drugs from insurance.Very helpful with scheduling appointments..............................
this was back in the day when insurance plans covered things.... I paid almost nothing
No nothing

2011 - 2012, Unknown Success
She [Dr Osborn] did a good job and was cautious about treatment - she encouraged us to only implant a single perfect embryo on our first round, instead of automatically going for multiples. I would recommend her to someone who is knowledgeable about the process and doesn't need a lot of hand-holding.
The waiting room [at Shady Grove on K Street] is very crowded and that can get a little awkward. But they were always prompt with all of the appointments. They were great about squeezing me in the time I thought I was having a miscarriage. Ultimately I am glad that we made the choice to go here. I liked the injection class they taught - very useful and helpful.
How was your experience with Barbara Osborn at Shady Grove Fertility?
She is a very knowledgeable doctor. I would describe her as clinical; meaning that she knows a lot but is always thinking about the medical side of things. I did not really feel like I could talk with her about the emotional part of the IVF process. I also didn't feel like I could ask questions about my treatment outside of any appointments we had. She did a good job and was cautious about treatment - she encouraged us to only implant a single perfect embryo on our first round, instead of automatically going for multiples. I would recommend her to someone who is knowledgeable about the process and doesn't need a lot of hand-holding.
Be assertive during your appointments with her and ask a lot of questions then, because I felt she was hard to talk with otherwise.
She was a good but impersonal doctor. She definitely explained the process fully, but I didn't see her except when there was something major to discuss (like a negative pregnancy test.)
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Heidi)
Heidi was a great nurse - she was extremely attentive and communicative during the process. She was very responsive to any emails I sent and answered all questions quickly.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady Grove is very well-run. It's very organized. It is convenient - there are multiple locations, and I could go to different locations for blood draws or ultrasounds if a certain one was closer (i.e., if I was doing errands on a Saturday in Baltimore, I could go to a MD location and they'd do the work and have the results.) The waiting room is very crowded and that can get a little awkward. But they were always prompt with all of the appointments. They were great about squeezing me in the time I thought I was having a miscarriage. Ultimately I am glad that we made the choice to go here. I liked the injection class they taught - very useful and helpful.
It was crowded but organized. There was a sign in sheet and then you were called from it. The waits were not too bad considering the number of people being treated. Everybody was very efficient. They were also nice but not overly chatty or personal. I could get some quick questions answered, but mostly they referred me to my nurse, who was excellent about answering anything, and doing it quickly.
Our insurance covered half of the care. We were told that our negotiated rate with our carrier (Kaiser) was the lowest of the insurance providers who covered fertility treatments. I think our costs were about $10k for the IVF with egg retrieval and about $5k for the second cycle of just the embryo transfer. This included all of my medication (purchase separately) and frozen embryo storage.
2012, Unknown Success
I only got to work with Dr. Saffan in the initial diagnosis phase before we had to move away, but I feel like the was very thorough and went through explanation of all of the medical tests that needed to be done and why. After results for each test came in he sat down and explained them to us with patience and understanding, letting us ask questions but not letting us get overwhelmed all at once. In hindsight I would have liked one more test to diagnose my endometriosis earlier on but I understand that it is not an industry standard.
The financial advisor [at Shady Grove in Fair Oaks] was excellent in pulling our benefits and showing us what would be out of pocket, which was very little....Its a huge network and they have all of the latest resources and technology. I wish I had had the opportunity to stay in the area and complete my treatment at Shady Grove. I felt safe and taken care of there...Dr. Saffan ran hormone tests, HSG, genetic testing, as well as the usual pre-pregnancy blood tests. He presented the genetic testing well, which I can attest to because it is my educational background.
How was your experience with David Saffan at Shady Grove Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of David Saffan at Shady Grove Fertility?
Don't be afraid to ask questions, he is does not shy away from anything you might want to know. If he thinks it will overwhelm you more than inform, trust him.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with David Saffan at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Saffan was the first doctor we went to about our infertility issues. He was very honest and open about expectations. He answered all of our questions and took his time with us in the initial visit and subsequent visits. He was kind but to the point and fact driven. He was one of the best doctors I had.
Describe the protocols David Saffan used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
My initial diagnosis that I knew I had was PCOS. Dr. Saffan ran hormone tests, HSG, genetic testing, as well as the usual pre-pregnancy blood tests. He presented the genetic testing well, which I can attest to because it is my educational background.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Saffan at Shady Grove Fertility.
We had good insurance through Fairfax County. The mayority of the procedures were covered through the insurance. The financial advisor was excellent in pulling our benefits and showing us what would be out of pocket, which was very little.
Fair Oaks

2011 - 2012, Successful
Dr. Osheroff was detailed and supportive of us. He is not overly emotional but was very informational. ... Shady Grove and Dr. Osheroff are strongly committed to the eSET philosophy, but ultimately it was our decision. ... Don’t expect him to be super emotional and listen to his advise. ... your contact with your doctor is limited by having to see other physicians when you are required to do most of the IVF procedures at the main clinic. ...
In my opinion Shady Grove is a numbers oriented practice, but you should not let that discourage you from seeking treatment as the standard of care is high. Every step of our treatment was ultimately our decision and we were respected. ... The entire staff in Columbia were warm and supportive. ... Shady Grove and Dr. Osheroff are strongly committed to the eSET philosophy, but ultimately it was our decision.
How was your experience with Joseph Osheroff at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Osheroff was detailed and supportive of us. He is not overly emotional but was very informational. The worst part of the process at Shady Grove is that your contact with your doctor is limited by having to see other physicians when you are required to do most of the IVF procedures at the main clinic.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Joseph Osheroff at Shady Grove Fertility?
Don’t expect him to be super emotional and listen to his advise.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Joseph Osheroff at Shady Grove Fertility?
The entire staff in Columbia were warm and supportive.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility.
The nursing staff is the best part of the Columbia office, and frankly they are the ones you have the most contact with due to your daily monitoring.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joseph Osheroff at Shady Grove Fertility.
Fresh IVF cycle was around $19,000. Our yearly cryo for the 7 extra embryos we froze is $650/year.
Describe Joseph Osheroff's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Joseph Osheroff
2012, Unsuccessful
Dr levens explained each step of the process with candid success rates. During 1st pregnancy baby was diagnosed with Turners syndrome...Dr.Levens candidly counseled me on my options. He was the most thoughtful physician I've ever met. I believed he truly cared about me and my situation... He helped me understand the donor egg process, answered every email, called back with answers to all of my questions.
[Shady Grove] Very organized. A well oiled machine. Saw patients from all over the world. I came from out of state because of the shared donor/shared risk program...37k shared risk. If I didn't have a live pregnancy in six tries, I would receive my money back...Dr Levens was excellent, candid, and compassionate. He helped me understand the donor egg process, answered every email, called back with answers to all of my questions.
How was your experience with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
Please see my previous response. Dr Levens was excellent, candid, and compassionate. He helped me understand the donor egg process, answered every email, called back with answers to all of my questions.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
Ask many questions. He is willing to take the time to answer.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr levens explained each step of the process with candid success rates. During 1st pregnancy baby was diagnosed with Turners syndrome. (Most difficult time in my life). Dr.Levens candidly counseled me on my options. He was the most thoughtful physician I've ever met. I believed he truly cared about me and my situation.
Describe the protocols Eric Levens used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
I cannot remember specifics. I was on BC pills, Lupron, estrogen IM and Progestrone IM.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Joan Coleman )
Excellent.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe Eric Levens's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Given my age. And donor eggs, dr. Levels was quite emphatic on a eset
Eric Levens
2009 - 2012, Unknown Success
I thought he [Dr. Mottla] was very understanding and I liked his approach to things. He was a good listener. He talked through the options carefully and did not discourage me from skipping IUI (due to being age 41) and going straight to IVF...He was great, but the nurse who I mostly worked with was a bit scattered and did not communicate as well as I would have liked... I did not like that they required a meeting with a psychologist that THEY chose.
I don't have any concerns about this clinic. [Shady Grove - Annapolis] I used it because it was convenient. I did not like that they required a meeting with a psychologist that THEY chose. That person wanted to charge $250, but I talked with someone I know who charged less than half of that...He [Dr Mollta] was great, but the nurse who I mostly worked with was a bit scattered and did not communicate as well as I would have liked...about $13,000 or $14,000 for one IVF cycle.
How was your experience with Gilbert Mottla at Shady Grove Fertility?
I thought he was very understanding and I liked his approach to things. He was a good listener. He talked through the options carefully and did not discourage me from skipping IUI (due to being age 41) and going straight to IVF.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Gilbert Mottla at Shady Grove Fertility?
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Dana)
She seemed a bit scattered and it wasn't always clear to me what was coming next.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I don't have any concerns about this clinic. I used it because it was convenient. I did not like that they required a meeting with a psychologist that THEY chose. That person wanted to charge $250, but I talked with someone I know who charged less than half of that.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Gilbert Mottla at Shady Grove Fertility.
I paid about $3,000 for medications, plus about $13,000 or $14,000 for one IVF cycle. I can't recall the exact total.
2009 - 2012, Unsuccessful
He [Dr Saffan] is a straight shooter.... he will tell the truth and give you all the info to make your decisions. He spoke with me and my husband and explained all of my challenges and how to overcome them. In the end I had to readjust my diet and loose weight to have a better result for another possible IUI... He spoke to me yet I am a complicated case. He handled himself well.... The staff [Shady Grove- Annandale] was great they got to know me by name.
It [Shady Grove - Annandale] was welcoming and friendly and soothing. I was comfortable and welcomed. My husband was uncomfortable but when we came in to the office a lot of his concerns eased. I had to come back multiple time alone and it was always welcoming. The staff was great they got to know me by name....he [Dr. Saffan] will tell the truth and give you all the info to make your decisions.... He handled himself well.
How was your experience with David Saffan at Shady Grove Fertility?
He is a straight shooter.... he will tell the truth and give you all the info to make your decisions. He spoke with me and my husband and explained all of my challenges and how to overcome them. In the end I had to readjust my diet and loose weight to have a better result for another possible IUI
Please be willing to hear the truth.
He spoke to me yet I am a complicated case. He handled himself well.
I forgot I am so sorry
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Yes)
Very good and communicable
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
It was welcoming and friendly and soothing. I was comfortable and welcomed. My husband was uncomfortable but when we came in to the office a lot of his concerns eased. I had to come back multiple time alone and it was always welcoming. The staff was great they got to know me by name.
My insurance paid for most of my expenses so all I had to pay for was my copay and medicines
Describe David Saffan's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
2010 - 2012, Successful
Dr. Osborn met with us to understand who we are, our background, etc. She met with us again to review genetics study tesults and explain everthing. She came in to see me during most of my visits, and she followed up after my daughter was born....She took time to get to know my husband and me....I followed a traditional course of treatment with clomid, IUI, then IVF....hey know exactly what they are doing and have all the facilities with the most recent technology.
Shady Grove is THE place to go! They know exactly what they are doing and have all the facilities with the most recent technology. I went to clinics in DC, VA, MD and PA depending on my travel schedule....Dr. Osborn met with us to understand who we are, our background, etc. She met with us again to review genetics study tesults and explain everthing. She came in to see me during most of my visits, and she followed up after my daughter was born....She took time to get to know my husband and me....I followed a traditional course of treatment with clomid, IUI, then IVF
How was your experience with Barbara Osborn at Shady Grove Fertility?
Use her!!! She is terrific!
She took time to get to know my husband and me.
I followed a traditional course of treatment with clomid, IUI, then IVF.
Sibley
2006 - 2012, Successful
Dr. Esposito was patient and caring. During our experience she willing to explain the reproductive science, as well as, health risks. She had a sense of humor but was absolutely professional. We received excellent care and results!...[protocols] Tracking menstral cycle and learning about fertile periods....The clinic [Shady Grove] was kept very clean and the staff was extremely professional. Any medical advice that was offered was personal and confidential.
The clinic [Shady Grove] was kept very clean and the staff was extremely professional. Any medical advice that was offered was personal and confidential. The clinics waiting space and it’s medical rooms were all comfortable environments. They answered phone calls and questions in a timely manner....[Nursing Staff] Professional and caring...Dr. Esposito was patient and caring. During our experience she willing to explain the reproductive science, as well as, health risks.
How was your experience with Melissa Esposito at Shady Grove Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Melissa Esposito at Shady Grove Fertility?
Eat well, keep stress at bay and trust your Doctor.
Describe the protocols Melissa Esposito used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Tracking menstral cycle and learning about fertile periods.
Professional and caring.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The clinic was kept very clean and the staff was extremely professional. Any medical advice that was offered was personal and confidential. The clinics waiting space and it’s medical rooms were all comfortable environments. They answered phone calls and questions in a timely manner.
Melissa Esposito
2009 - 2012, Successful
I felt that Dr. Levy knew who we were but that the staff did not. [He was] very professional, very reassuring and I felt very comfortable....He adjusted the day to return for the IUI of the blastocyst - and came in on weekend. [Cost of treatment was] expensive because insurance did not cover the costs.
How was your experience with Michael Levy at Shady Grove Fertility?
Very professional, very reassuring and I felt very comfortable.
You are in good hands.
I felt that Dr. Levy knew who we were but that the staff did not.
Describe the protocols Michael Levy used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Levy at Shady Grove Fertility.
Expensive because insurance did not cover the costs.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
Just some minor miscommunication about the medicines.
2004 - 2011, Successful
I did not like his [Dr. Michael Levy] bedside manner- I thought he was callous and not compassionate to the emotional turmoil. However, he helped me to concieve my son (17 months of treament) and ultimately my daughter (donor egg and gestational carrier) and I will always be eternally grateful for his success. I don't think he is "nice" but I think he knows what he is doing...As the intended mother I was not always made aware of what drugs were being prescribed and timelines for procedures with my donor and my gestational carrier. This was very frustrating.
The whole process was very emotional and the office [Shady Grove Fertility] didn't always communicate clearly and when I called to inquire (usually about a medication or timing) I was once told "to just wait" and that he wasn't doing the transfer until HE [Dr. Michael Levy] was ready. m(He later apologized)...As the intended mother I was not always made aware of what drugs were being prescribed and timelines for procedures with my donor and my gestational carrier. This was very frustrating.
How was your experience with Michael Levy at Shady Grove Fertility?
I did not like his bedside manner- I thought he was callous and not compassionate to the emotional turmoil. However, he helped me to concieve my son (17 months of treament) and ultimately my daughter (donor egg and gestational carrier) and I will always be eternally grateful for his success. I don't think he is "nice" but I think he knows what he is doing.
Do not expect warm and fuzzy and don't take it personally.
The whole process was very emotional and the office didn't always communicate clearly and when I called to inquire (usually about a medication or timing) I was once told "to just wait" and that he wasn't doing the transfer until HE was ready. m(He later apologized)
I spent seventeen months taking clomid and metformin until my son was concieved (2002) and then used an egg donor and a gestational carrer (3 transfers with 2 separate carriers) with my daughter born in 2009. I do not remember all the drugs used for the egg retrieval and insemination.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Shady Grove Fertility.
It was very hit or miss and some were definitely more compassionate than others.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I think the clinic is a reflection of the doctor. Sometimes as a patient I was made to feel my questions or concerns were an inconvienience.
Insurance covered my 17 months of infertility. Egg Donor and retrieval was about $20,000 Transfers were in the $10,000 range each if I remember correctly.

2009 - 2011, Unsuccessful
While I was pregnant, she [Dr Lorna Timmreck] ordered me to stop taking endometrin, because she did not think my Beta's were high enough and could not see the sack in my uterus. I begged her to give me more medication, but she refused. Shortly afterwards, I started bleding and lost the baby. Afterwards, I showed my Betas to two other fertility clinics - both were shocked at Timmreck's decision to stop a potentially viable pregnancy.
The good [at Shady Grove fertility of Columbia] : Lots of locations and (almost) convenient hours. Many doctors to choose from with pretty brochures in nice offices. The support groups are great. The bad: patients are just numbers - no individual treatment plans. Patients are mostly seen by nurses and rushed staff members.
How was your experience with Lorna Timmreck at Shady Grove Fertility?
While I was pregnant, she ordered me to stop taking endometrin, because she did not think my Beta's were high enough and could not see the sack in my uterus. I begged her to give me more medication, but she refused. Shortly afterwards, I started bleding and lost the baby. Afterwards, I showed my Betas to two other fertility clinics - both were shocked at Timmreck's decision to stop a potentially viable pregnancy.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lorna Timmreck at Shady Grove Fertility?
Get a new doctor - I did and was treated MUCH better by someone else. Plus, I now have a baby!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lorna Timmreck at Shady Grove Fertility?
Despite being her patient for years, she did not even remember my husband's name and seemed to care more about my shoes than us, as human beings.
Describe the protocols Lorna Timmreck used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Started with a natural iui, then progressed to three standard iui's, then to two ivf's with ganeralix, gonal f and menopur. Second ivf resulted in a pregnancy, but Timmreck had me stop the endometrin due to low Betas, so I lost the baby.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie)
She was kind, but nervous. The staff was ok and there was one phlembotomist who was great. The other one I tried to avoid.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The good: Lots of locations and (almost) convenient hours. Many doctors to choose from with pretty brochures in nice offices. The support groups are great. The bad: patients are just numbers - no individual treatment plans. Patients are mostly seen by nurses and rushed staff members.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lorna Timmreck at Shady Grove Fertility.
I was mostly covered by insurance and had to only pay for medications, which ended up to be a few thousand dollars in total.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
I believe I lost a baby due to my doctor's decision.
Lorna Timmreck
2009 - 2011, Successful
Surrogacy With Other Docs
I went to this clinic [Shady Grove of Rockville] for over 2.5 years and got to know everyone quite well. Everyone was very friendly, and they mostly ran on time...IUI was about $1500 IVF was about $10,000 Donor egg (shared) was about $20,000...I switched to Dr. Levy because I did not like his partner at the same clinic. Dr. Levy treated me like a person and I always felt like I had his undivided attention. If fact when I switched to him, I had been under the other doctors care for over a year and had had 8 IUI treatments with no success and the other doctor never stopped to ask "what is going on here?". Immediately upon beginning to see Dr. Levy he assessed me and my treatment and began to look further into why I wasn't getting pregnant which resulted in a different direction of treatment.
How was your experience with Michael Levy at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Levy is a kind, patient man. He got to know me on a personal level. At our initial meeting he came to get me from the waiting room and asked me about the book I had been reading. I felt good about him overseeing my treatment and I didn't have an easy time with anything related to fertility.
If you can get him as your doctor do so!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Lindsay)
I really loved my first nurse Lindsay which is why I ended up staying with my first doctor longer than I should have. Most of my dealings were with her and she was amazing. When she left Shady Grove I decided to get a new doctor as I did not like my first.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I went to this clinic for over 2.5 years and got to know everyone quite well. Everyone was very friendly, and they mostly ran on time.
I went in during monitoring hours which worked for me. I thought the techs were super nice and friendly.
IUI was about $1500 IVF was about $10,000 Donor egg (shared) was about $20,000
2009 - 2010, Successful
Dr. Saffan came across right from the beginning as experienced and practical. He was kind and compassionate without ever condescending...After a short break, we did another IVF cycle with the same drug protocol as the first cycle. This time there were two good embryos, so Dr. Saffan recommended transferring both. The cycle was successful for both embryos and I delivered healthy twins.
The clinic [Shady Grove Fertility of Annandale] was easy to interact with, pleasant to visit (or as pleasant as possible under the circumstances), and well organized. I appreciated that different types of visits were concentrated at different times of day. I could get in very early in the morning for blood draws and never ran into pregnant women.
How was your experience with David Saffan at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Saffan came across right from the beginning as experienced and practical. He was kind and compassionate without ever condescending. As a patient, I was looking for a doctor who would tell me exactly what to do and he did. He was accessible when we had questions and maintained an even keel through ups and downs.
Dr. Saffan was compassionate, direct, and thorough. I felt like he knew my case, he knew me and my husband, and he wanted us to succeed.
If insurance had not been a factor, Dr. Saffan would have steered us directly to IVF. As our insurance did not provide coverage for IVF without first undergoing 3 cycles of IUI, he took us through that process. First we did a basic workup to rule out anything obvious. Then, we did 3 cycles of IUI, all of which were unsuccessful. We took a short break to do further testing and identified a blood clotting factor that we addressed in subsequent treatment. We took a class to understand all the processes of IVF and underwent our first cycle. We had a great embryo and did a single embryo transfer, which Dr. Saffan preferred and recommended to avoid multiples. We had a positive pregnancy test and heartbeat, but lost the pregnancy at 9 weeks. After a short break, we did another IVF cycle with the same drug protocol as the first cycle. This time there were two good embryos, so Dr. Saffan recommended transferring both. The cycle was successful for both embryos and I delivered healthy twins.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Shady Grove Fertility.
I have a really hard time with blood draws, which is awful for fertility treatment. All of the nurses were very patient and supportive and the one or two who were best at getting my blood made an extra effort to help me out.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The clinic was easy to interact with, pleasant to visit (or as pleasant as possible under the circumstances), and well organized. I appreciated that different types of visits were concentrated at different times of day. I could get in very early in the morning for blood draws and never ran into pregnant women.

2009 - 2010, Successful
She [Dr Garde] always took plenty of time when me. I never felt like I was rushed. She answered every question I had and I never felt like a question was ignored....We traveled from another state because having a singleton was very important to us. Dr. Garde understood that. We did two cycles with her and she always adjusted the protocols as needed along the way.
We traveled from out of state because we wanted to be at a clinic that helped people achieve singleton pregnancies. We felt that other clinics downplayed the risk of carrying twins (not just higher-order multiples). They [Shady Grove] were very used to working with out-of-state patients and we appreciated that.
How was your experience with Rachana Garde at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Garde was easy to talk to and she really attempted to get a feel for what was important to US.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rachana Garde at Shady Grove Fertility?
Travel as far as you need to to see Dr. Garde!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Rachana Garde at Shady Grove Fertility?
She always took plenty of time when me. I never felt like I was rushed. She answered every question I had and I never felt like a question was ignored.
Describe the protocols Rachana Garde used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Mary)
Every time we called Mary, she picked up the phone herself. We never had to leave messages with voicemail or with a receptionist. We had ONE nurse and she was easily accessible. That meant a lot to us.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
We traveled from out of state because we wanted to be at a clinic that helped people achieve singleton pregnancies. We felt that other clinics downplayed the risk of carrying twins (not just higher-order multiples). They were very used to working with out-of-state patients and we appreciated that.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Rachana Garde at Shady Grove Fertility.
Another reason we chose this clinic is because they had one of the most generous shared help plans in the country. We did misunderstand the plan (our fault) and did not use it the first cycle (although we had an income-based discount). If we had had a full understanding of the program, we would have ended up saving ourselves the cost of that one cycle.
Rachana Garde
Woodbridge

3 Egg Freezing With Other Docs
He was kind, engaged, focused on me and my issues, while being forthcoming and honest. Did not have a God complex like I saw at Dominion Fertility.
[The nursing staff was] good but not always as on the ball as I wanted given how anxious you tend to be... One Friday I did not receive an update call. It was v frustrating but not unforgivable.
How was your experience with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
Done previously.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
Use other tools to keep perspective such as yoga and meditation.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Shady Grove Fertility.
Good but not always as on the ball as I wanted given how anxious you tend to be. They were good but it is the hardest thing most of their patients have ever gone through.
2003 - 2010, Successful
Extraordinary physician [Michael Levy] who is medically excellent and emotionally intelligent....He focused on medical, emotional and financial aspects of care and conveyed warmth and hope....You will love him.
My nurse [at Shady Grove] felt like a partner. She cared as much about our outcome as we did. [The clinic was] cheerful, friendly, energetic, organized, efficient. Well run.
How was your experience with Michael Levy at Shady Grove Fertility?
Extraordinary physician who is medically excellent and emotionally intelligent.
You will love him.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Kathy bugge)
My nurse felt like a partner. She cared as much about our outcome as we did.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Cheerful, friendly, energetic, organized, efficient. Well run.
It was mostly covered by insurance
Rockville

We met with him for our initial consultation and after that we essentially never saw him again during treatment....He [Dr. McKeeby] seems like a nice guy, but there was never any real follow up or interest in my case. He arrived to an appointment unprepared and clearly didn’t review my test results... as they were incomplete and required a follow up exam...Dr. McKeeby was supposed to follow up with me after our final meeting regarding the next steps and he never did...
They’d say they’d call and then they [Shady Grove Salisbury] wouldn’t. They’d forget to relay test results. Ordering medication was a nightmare thanks to no help on their part. The nurses/staff don’t seem to really make a connection with the patients because it’s always a different nurse calling with results, or communicating the doctor’s orders....Provided medication charts were halfway completed, failed to be informed of exam results... which ultimately delayed starting treatment, issues with prescriptions being called in
How was your experience with Jeffrey McKeeby at Shady Grove Fertility?
He seems like a nice guy, but there was never any real follow up or interest in my case. He arrived to an appointment unprepared and clearly didn’t review my test results... as they were incomplete and required a follow up exam. This somehow slipped through the cracks (one of many times overall with this clinic). I’m still trying to figure out if this was the fault of Dr. Mckeeby, the nurses or the clinic’s organization. Either way, it’s super disappointing. Finally, Dr. McKeeby was supposed to follow up with me after our final meeting regarding the next steps and he never did...
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jeffrey McKeeby at Shady Grove Fertility?
We met with him for our initial consultation and after that we essentially never saw him again during treatment. During that time, I can 100% say he wouldn’t recognize me as a patient if he saw me in the waiting room.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Shady Grove Fertility.
They’d say they’d call and then they wouldn’t. They’d forget to relay test results. Ordering medication was a nightmare thanks to no help on their part. The nurses/staff don’t seem to really make a connection with the patients because it’s always a different nurse calling with results, or communicating the doctor’s orders. We are all just numbers.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I was so hopeful that SGF would help my husband and I. Words can’t explain how disappointed I am with their organization as a whole. If I would have gotten pregnant right away I’d be happy because a) I wouldn’t have experienced the many weaknesses of their organization after treating there for a year, and b) I’d have a baby. This clinic is for women who get pregnent within two cycles. Anything more than that, you’ll learn that you’re just a number. The only reason I stayed for so long is because I was desperate and there a few other choices in the area.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jeffrey McKeeby at Shady Grove Fertility.
Insurance covered most costs.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
Annapolis office - Provided medication charts were halfway completed, failed to be informed of exam results... which ultimately delayed starting treatment, issues with prescriptions being called in or lack thereof, was told by Nursing staff it wasn’t worth doing insurance appeal against doctor’s advice, getting in touch with nurses was difficult, lack of empathy from staff, lack of communication, etc, etc.
Jeffrey McKeeby
Salisbury (closed)
Egg Freezing With Other Docs
I highly recommend Dr. Widra. Friends have been successful. He is honest, compassionate, trustworthy and very skilled....Go see him. You will know where you stand and he will always be up front.
They [the staff at Shady Grove] understood the journey on which you were embarking and the emotion surrounding it. Dr. Widra and all of the Shady Grove staff were so compassionate...When I got a negative result she could not have been kinder and more compassionate.
How was your experience with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
Go see him. You will know where you stand and he will always be up front.
They understood the journey on which you were embarking and the emotion surrounding it. Dr. Widra and all of the Shady Grove staff were so compassionate. When I read the story of this site's founders I was compelled to do the survey because we were lucky enough to have a great experience. And I am confident I would be writing this even if I did not become pregnant.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Sandra)
When I got a negative result she could not have been kinder and more compassionate. And when I became pregnant, she was elated. They are in lock step with you.
Donor Eggs With Other Docs
Anne [nurse at Shady Grove] and Dr. Mottla were completely on the same page. I heard everything twice....Dr Mottla was very knowledgable and took the time I needed to process the challenges in my journey. He went above and beyond. He is direct and to the point. He is efficient and on time. His new office is lovely and much nicer and larger than the prior one.
How was your experience with Gilbert Mottla at Shady Grove Fertility?
Listen to him.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Gilbert Mottla at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Mottla was great. He always made a point to follow up with me and explain the plan. He saw me in the morning for monitoring and modified his schedule to accommodate mine.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Anne Stegner)
Anne and Dr. Mottla were completely on the same page. I heard everything twice.

Consult
in consult [Dr. Devine] suggested that due to lower AMH that a hormonal patch would be used at the beginning of the egg retrieval process rather than birth control to synch my menstrual cycle in order to maximize eggs... I have not proceeded due to predicted costs being higher than expected and inability to get information at this point about other options that I believe might be available to me
I was given an estimate of at least $60,000 (about half of which would be medication) for 4 cycles of egg freezing that I would recommended to pursue...A lot of enthusiastic interaction from clinic in moving me forward with consult and beyond but little to no outreach in response to my confusion about the financial parts and the details of that.
How was your experience with Kate Devine at Shady Grove Fertility?
consult was informative but I have not proceeded due to predicted costs being higher than expected and inability to get information at this point about other options that I believe might be available to me
Describe the protocols Kate Devine used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
in consult it was suggested that due to lower AMH that a hormonal patch would be used at the beginning of the egg retrieval process rather than birth control to synch my menstrual cycle in order to maximize eggs; did not follow up to get more details
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
they seem to be a well oiled machine of processing patients. due to high volume of patients this probably translates to good treatment based on their experience. they behave in a very profit-driven manner, where time is of the essence for them to move a new patient forward quickly through the process for their monetary gains rather than an individual's window of fertility. A lot of enthusiastic interaction from clinic in moving me forward with consult and beyond but little to no outreach in response to my confusion about the financial parts and the details of that.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kate Devine at Shady Grove Fertility.
Kate Devine