6.8
6.8

LGBTQ+ Care

Ratings of 1 indicate an unsatisfactory LGBTQ+ care.

Ratings of 10 indicate an excellent LGBTQ+ care.

7.3

Woodbridge
13580 Groupe Drive
Woodbridge, VA 22192

2020 - 2022, Successful
Currently 37 weeks with a little boy thanks to Dr. Reh, her [SGF] team, and IVF...My nurse, Lana, is the greatest human on the planet, and the NP I worked with, Tammy, is also the greatest human. I loved working with them! The girls at the front desk were also so kind and helpful, the nursing staff that drew blood were lovely - overall a 10/10 office...My only complaint is that sometimes wait times for monitoring appointments reached 15-20 minutes. Otherwise, I was always able to get an appointment when I needed, felt comfortable and safe in the clinic environment, and it was generally easy to access
How was your experience with Andrea Reh at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Reh was just the person we needed on our team during our fertility journey. My husband and I were diagnosed with unexplained infertility and Dr. Reh was so direct and clear with information and options, yet also positive and optimistic. Her team is amazing and I always felt like I was able to get into contact with the right person when I needed. She listened to me, validated me, and gave me options when options were available - I felt like I had space and respect to make decisions that were best for my husband and I. I appreciated her direct nature and honesty throughout the entire process. During monitoring appointments, I didn't always see her, but a) I loved the team so much that it didn't matter who I saw and b) if I ever needed to see her directly or speak with her, it was easy to do! Currently 37 weeks with a little boy thanks to Dr. Reh, her team, and IVF!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Andrea Reh at Shady Grove Fertility?
She is willing to consider all options!
Describe the protocols Andrea Reh used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
For IUI cycles, Dr. Reh prescribed Letrozole with a trigger shot. All 4 IUI cycles resulted in at least 1-3 appropriately sized follicles. None were successful. For egg retrieval, I followed a "standard" protocol and had a successful retrieval with 19 eggs, 13 mature, 11 fertilized, 6 day-5 embryos, 4 PGT-A normal.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Lana)
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
My only complaint is that sometimes wait times for monitoring appointments reached 15-20 minutes. Otherwise, I was always able to get an appointment when I needed, felt comfortable and safe in the clinic environment, and it was generally easy to access.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Andrea Reh at Shady Grove Fertility.
I was an out of pocket patient. An IUI cost about $2,000 per cycle with medications. I paid for the Shared Risk Program with PGTA testing - this cost about $26,000. Medications for egg retrieval were about $4,000. Overall, I paid about $40,000 throughout treatments.

2022, Unknown Success
Dr Doyle is a very empathetic, compassionate, and knowledgeable care provider who explained treatment options very well and took extra time and care to address all of my questions and concerns. He showed empathy when communicating disappointing news such as when one of my IVF cycles failed to produce a genetically normal embryo. Dr Doyle helped make adjustments for a second IVF cycle that was successful and he personally implanted the resulting embryo which resulted in a successful pregnancy and love birth and my currently healthy baby. Overall, I was very happy with the treatment and care that I received from Dr Doyle.
Shady Grove Fertility (Rockville) is a very efficient place- I was able to get in and out for blood tests and monitoring appointments relatively quickly with little wait time and they have many appointment slots available so they offer maximum flexibility and efficiency which is helpful. Given the large practice, it is not unusual to lose the more personal feel of a smaller practice however the staff and nurses were are friendly in my experience and a few even remembered me and provided a positive personal experience.
How was your experience with Joseph Doyle at Shady Grove Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Joseph Doyle at Shady Grove Fertility?
Don’t be afraid to ask questions because Dr Doyle is very knowledgeable and understanding and he will take the time needed to answer all of your questions and make you feel comfortable with treatment options and plans.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Joseph Doyle at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr Doyle took ample time to explain treatment options and showed great empathy and patience in answering all of my questions.
Describe the protocols Joseph Doyle used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
I can’t recall specifics, however I did do two IVF cycles which resulted in two genetically normal embryos.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Amanda)
Dr Doyle’s nurse, Amanda, is an effective communicator and she always promptly responded to my questions and concerns and effectively relayed issues between me and Dr Doyle.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The monitoring appointments were very easy to schedule and staff and technicians are friendly for the most part.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joseph Doyle at Shady Grove Fertility.
About $30,000 but my insurance covered 80-90% of the cost, minus embryo storage costs.
Describe Joseph Doyle's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
I believe that Shady Grove only permit transfer of one embryo at a time and Dr Doyle recommended to me to only transfer one embryo at a time.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
There were a few frustrating practices of this practice when it comes to insurance billing and reimbursement. They claimed I was not covered for a procedure when in fact it was a covered procedure under my insurance plan, so I would suggest taking a very proactive approach to managing the billing and coverage with your insurance plan. Make sure you call your insurance to confirm coverage of each procedure and make sure that you confirm that shady grove is submitting everything to your insurance for reimbursement because sometime they forget to submit bills to insurance for reimbursement on your behalf.

2020 - 2022, Unsuccessful
While I am sure she [Dr. Rebecca Chason] is a great Dr, she was very clear about the expectations and my doing donor eggs. I have a good egg reserve for my age and wanted to try with my own eggs and not be pushed into donor when I had other options. So I felt that my care was not as aggressive as could have been because they just didn’t think it would work...Demand more, do your research and ask tons of questions. Don’t assume because they are the Dr they know more. You have to advocate for yourself and what you would like done
They [Shady Grove Fertility] have a age cut off, a BMI cut off and the financial team is very bad at getting back to you in a timely fashion. They staff you worked with most were the ones that took your blood, and the ones that did the ultrasounds. They were very kind, compassionate and friendly...the weekend nursing staff were a bit more compassionate than the weekday staff. But overall not a bad experience
How was your experience with Rebecca Chason at Shady Grove Fertility?
While I am sure she is a great Dr, she was very clear about the expectations and my doing donor eggs. I have a good egg reserve for my age and wanted to try with my own eggs and not be pushed into donor when I had other options. So I felt that my care was not as aggressive as could have been because they just didn’t think it would work. After the 3 failed IUI I reached out about a change to my regimen because clearly what I was on was not working. They said no it would stay the same and I was responding well. Well after 2 more failed attempts Dr. chasen now wants to talk about changing the regimen which I felt was a little late. I aged out of IVF at that particular clinic but never got a change to do a successful retrieval so I moved on to a clinic that didn’t have a age cut off of 45 for your own eggs. I didn’t even bother with the last IUI….more money wasted with no measurable change to the regimen
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rebecca Chason at Shady Grove Fertility?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Rebecca Chason at Shady Grove Fertility?
I barely spoke to Dr. Chasen more so her nurse. Overall while they were nice I didn’t feel that they cared as much as I would have liked during this emotionally stressful period. They kept pushing me to do donor egg although my egg reserve was good. I do feel that my failed egg retrieval could have also been avoided if certain things would have been noted before hand.
Describe the protocols Rebecca Chason used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
For the IVF…I was on BC pills initially, then Lupron, added in 150 menopour and 275 gonal f. They started high because of my age and I reacted better than they thought so they had to lower the gonal f to 150 so I would not go into ohss. I went into retrieval with them seeing at least 16 follicles mature and ready. I woke up saying they were unable to retrieve any because they could not access my ovaries vaginally and abdominally they saw a blood vessel in front of the ovary and decided to not proceed. It was devastating They then told me that they would not move on with IVF for that reason….no trying to figure out how we can go around that because I clearly responded well. They then moved to IUI which was 100mg clomid for 5 days and on day 3 150 gonal f and day 5 150 gonal f. When I went in each time they saw 2-3 follicles that were mature and ready for insemenation. The sperm was great according to them, but Nothing took.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Ann)
They nurse was pleasant enough and was available when I had a question. The staff at the clinic were great. I will say that the weekend nursing staff were a bit more compassionate than the weekday staff. But overall not a bad experience
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
They have a age cut off, a BMI cut off and the financial team is very bad at getting back to you in a timely fashion. They staff you worked with most were the ones that took your blood, and the ones that did the ultrasounds. They were very kind, compassionate and friendly
It was convenient as early as 7am and in and out in 30 mins and still able to get to work in a timely fashion
Describe the costs associated with your care under Rebecca Chason at Shady Grove Fertility.
My insurance is pretty good and covered a good amount. The meds were the most expensive part. Without meds IVF was around 4,000. With meds $13,000. IUI meds were about $350 and out of pocket was 1,000
Describe Rebecca Chason's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
It was just twice that I had to call about results and to know if I was triggering that night as the staff failed to call as the usually did. I was able to reach a night nurse who after looking up the information called me back and said that yes I was to trigger which I would have missed if I was not proactive about calling
LGBTQ+

2021 - 2022, Unsuccessful
LGBTQ+
IUI out of pocket was ~$1600...Too busy, especially the financial department. They have an efficient process which is nice, but it is impersonal and the wait time can be really bad (over 45 mins on several occasions). Their office is lovely and their technology seems very up to date. Many of the actual providers are very kind, especially the nurses and front office staff..
How was your experience with Joseph Doyle at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr Doyle was warm, compassionate, and nonjudgmental. He was a good listener and never made me feel rushed or pressured to make a decision. He followed up with me on a concern I expressed after hours one time too. He clearly relies heavily on his nurses and NPs to do the majority of the actual direct procedures, and he just handled consultations and approving the course of treatment. So over-all high quality provider with low quantity of actual interactions. I definitely appreciate working with him though and would recommend him to others, especially if they are going to be seen at Shady Grove Fertility.
Ask questions- he’s great at explaining things and giving answers, but he doesn’t necessarily talk a lot about things unless you ask for specifics. The nurse gives more of the details.
Although the clinic over-all makes me feel like a number, whenever I’ve met or spoken directly with Dr. Doyle, he is very kind, affable, and never seemed rushed or dismissive. He’s matter of fact but still willing to explain things to me and answer my questions in a detailed way when I want/need him to. One time he even called me back after hours to talk to me about my misgivings from recommendations by the weekend doctor and nurse.
Ovidrel + IUI + monitoring of bloodwork & ultrasound x1 cycle resulted in 1 mature follicle, no pregnancy 5 pills of 2.5 letrozole, ovidrel + monitoring of bloodwork and IUI with donor sperm x1 cycle for PCOS - 2 mature follicles, no pregnancy 5 pills of 5 letrozole, ovidrel + monitoring of bloodwork & IUI with donor sperm x2 cycles for PCOS- resulted in 2 mature follicles and one mature follicle before IUI was scheduled Told me that with our next cycle we can do 5 pills of 7 mg letrozole for PCOS -
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Marina)
Organized but busy. Answered my questions whenever I had them, but I don’t know that she knew me without looking at my chart.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Too busy, especially the financial department. They have an efficient process which is nice, but it is impersonal and the wait time can be reallllllyyy bad (over 45 mins on several occasions). Their office is lovely and their technology seems very up to date. Many of the actual providers are very kind, especially the nurses and front office staff.
My insurance covered the consult with just a copay, but IUI out of pocket was ~$1600
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
One time it was difficult to get the right prescription sent to the pharmacy.

2021 - 2022, Unknown Success
Dr. Chason is an extremely compassionate and warm person and that is extended through her team, her bed side manner, and delivery of information etc. I feel grateful to have her as my treating clinician...she has strong analytical skills to assess what appropriate next steps may be if one course of action did not pan out as expected. She is compassionate, empathetic and realistic.
I truly enjoy my [Shady Grove Fertility] office location. I have experienced compassionate and kind people...[nurse] Joan is a dream come true. She is a very organized person. She is patient, empathetic, and informative. Her response time is quick and she is accessible...For a new patient using insurance I would encourage you to know your benefits well, do not rely just on what is being shared. The policy holder will always have more access to their plan than the provider.
How was your experience with Rebecca Chason at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Chason is accessible. While most of my treatment I communicated with my nurse, I could always be in touch with her if needed. I feel she has strong analytical skills to assess what appropriate next steps may be if one course of action did not pan out as expected. She is compassionate, empathetic and realistic.
Trust her, and ask questions if you need more for your own understanding. She is patient and will make sure you walk away knowing what the plan is and that you understand it as much as you want to.
1st cycle was an antagonist protocol using birth control start, Menopur, Gonal F, Ganirelix and Lupron trigger (I do not recall the dosage). I had a high AF count and we wanted to prevent OHSS, and she felt I would be a good responder. I stimmed for 8 days, triggered on the 9th. We retrieved 21 eggs, 13 mature, 4 fertilized, 2 made to it to blast and 1 was euploid. That transfer resulted in a chemical pregnancy. For the 2nd round we made a change to improve our fertilization rate, we switched to a Lupron stop protocol. The goal was to produce better quality eggs to increase fertilization. I used Lupron for 9 days once I had a positive ovulation test, then I stimmed for 8 days triggering on the 9th using Menopur, Gonal F and a HCG trigger. We retrieved 19 eggs, 13 mature, 12 fertilized, 10 made it to blast, 7 euploid, 1 transferred resulted in a miscarriage. This last round is still being monitored for my HCG levels to drop and we will discuss next steps. I between round 1 & 2 retrieval I had a mock transfer which discovered a polyp, and between round 2 retrieval and transfer I had one hysteroscopy to remove the polyp and endometritis was discovered as well as low visibility of my right tube. I had a course of antibiotics for 2 weeks to rid the inflammation, followed by an endometrial biopsy which showed improvement but endometritis still present. At that time I opted for an additional hysteroscopy for a repeat biopsy and to look at the right tube. The biopsy showed the endometritis cleared, and the right tube entrance had scar tissue that was cleared.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Joan Skovron)
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I truly enjoy my office location. I have experienced compassionate and kind people. For a new patient using insurance I would encourage you to know your benefits well, do not rely just on what is being shared. The policy holder will always have more access to their plan than the provider.
Most of my treatment was covered by insurance, outside of pgt-a testing, and embryo freezing cost.
My doctor recommended the transfer of a single embryo. We were informed as to the reasoning and stats behind that recommendation.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
Conflicting information from a financial counselor regarding my insurance benefits. I had called my insurance and was ensured that a particular analysis for my husband was covered by insurance. I was told by the clinic it was not, this was not correct as my plan was different than the traditional plan they had seen which did not cover the analysis in question.

2017 - 2022, Unsuccessful
My husband and I have always felt comfortable and heard when we meet Dr. Chason. She's eternally optimistic yet realistic. We feel hopeful, supported and confident whenever we leave our appointments. Even with setbacks, she gives us feedback we can use to make decisions and move forward. She has remained receptive to our concerns and open to adjusting our cycles when needed.
The [SGF Annapolis] receptionists are lovely and encouraging. Scheduling is easy. However, there have been a couple times, over the years, that I've waited almost an hour to be seen. I adore the techs and phlebotomists. Unfortunately, one of my absolute favorite phlebotomists left during the pandemic. I had a concern with one of the NPs, which I addressed with my primary nurse. I haven't had any issues since.
How was your experience with Rebecca Chason at Shady Grove Fertility?
Bring questions! She will provide answers and resources.
Dr. Chason personally follows up through out our cycles. She went above and beyond to provide me with an excellent surgeon to manage our ectopic pregnancy. She also followed up with the surgeon post op to continue consulting on my case.
(2017-2020) We had 11 IUIs using donor sperm; 3 rounds were medicated (Clomid x2, Femara x1). I am sensitive to medication and prefer to limit it's usage. I had an allergic reaction to Clomid during our second medicated cycle. We had our first positive test with our 6th round. However, I miscarried a few days before our first ultrasound. (2021) We opted to try a round of IVF. We used estrogen patches, Menopur, Ganirelix, Gonal-F, Crinone and Estradiol. We had a fresh transfer on day 5; we opted to have our remaining embryos tested (PGT-A). Our cycle resulted in a positive pregnancy test, but the pregnancy was ectopic. We have not yet started preparing for our first FET.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Ann S.)
Ann took over my care when my previous nurse took a new position. She's calm and reassuring. She's very responsive when I reach out by phone or email. She's always so sweet when I see her around the office.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The receptionists are lovely and encouraging. Scheduling is easy. However, there have been a couple times, over the years, that I've waited almost an hour to be seen. I adore the techs and phlebotomists. Unfortunately, one of my absolute favorite phlebotomists left during the pandemic. I had a concern with one of the NPs, which I addressed with my primary nurse. I haven't had any issues since.
Under our previous insurance, we paid for 5 IUIs out of pocket. Our current insurance covers services. For the majority of visits, I was charged my copay. IVF was applied towards my deductible in addition to copay charges. However, embryo testing was 100% out of pocket ($3600).

2021 - 2022, Unknown Success
Dr. Bromer understands there’s more to infertility and every patient is different. He sees me as a person, not just lab numbers, and treats me with care and respect...He seems to understand how challenging and stressful this is, so he presents all the information up front and made me aware of all my options and the chances of it working realistically. No false hope, but he’s kind about it, and willing to work with the patient
The entire staff at SGF is beyond kind. They all understand this is an emotional and stressful situation and they make me feel valued and respected. They’ve listened to fears and concerns with patience. They’re exceptional to me...If you’re within a driving distance of a few hours, it’s worth using them. Compared to other clinics and doctors I’ve seem, SGF’s approach seems to be treating an individual compared with treating a “diagnosis.”
How was your experience with Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Bromer looked over my entire medical history, not just the lab numbers. Fertility science is constantly changing and he seems understanding of that, whereas other doctors I’ve had historically are inflexible. Dr. Bromer is honest and direct while being caring. He seems to understand how challenging and stressful this is, so he presents all the information up front and made me aware of all my options and the chances of it working realistically. No false hope, but he’s kind about it, and willing to work with the patient. I have the utmost respect for him.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility?
See him. You won’t regret it.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility?
Describe the protocols Jason Bromer used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
I will be using an IVF cycle with a sperm donor. The amount and types of medications will be closely monitored dependent on my body’s response to them.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jamie)
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Previously my only complaint would’ve been access to Shady Grove clinics, but as they’re spreading and opening new locations, it’s no longer a concern. If you’re within a driving distance of a few hours, it’s worth using them. Compared to other clinics and doctors I’ve seem, SGF’s approach seems to be treating an individual compared with treating a “diagnosis.” A friend recommended them to me after bad experiences at other clinics and I’m so grateful she did.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility.
There are several treatment options with different costs associated, including shared responsibility, income based discounts, and the one I used- military discounts.
Jason Bromer
Frederick

2019 - 2022, Unsuccessful
Dr. Devine is very knowledgeable and gave advice in probabilities/estimates of success which I found to be very helpful when I needed to make a decision about how I wanted to proceed. She proactively consulted with another dr who had more experience with a more novel treatment plan for my adenomyosis. I appreciated her thorough approach to managing my care.
[Shady Grove Fertility - Washington DC] Strength - success rates. Weakness - factory feel, financial billing department is not responsive and gives inaccurate information, you rarely interact with your dr after your treatment plan is finalized. A different dr will do your egg retrievals, and most other procedures you may need along the way.
How was your experience with Kate Devine at Shady Grove Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kate Devine at Shady Grove Fertility?
Get your emotional support from your partner, friend, or therapist, don't expect to get it from Dr. Devine. She is very knowledgeable but isn't very warm or empathetic.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kate Devine at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Devine was not particularly warm, but she was compassionate when I experienced miscarriages or set backs.
Describe the protocols Kate Devine used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
I don't remember the specifics. I had 2 IVF cycles which yielded a total of 3 PGT tested normal embryos.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility.
Generally I had positive experiences with my nurses but found the nursing team approach to be frustrating and ineffective. Information would get lost between the nurses, I would get asked the same questions by multiple nurses on the team. I wished I had one point of contact instead of multiple. The staff who draw your blood and perform your ultrasounds were kind and skilled.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kate Devine at Shady Grove Fertility.
My insurance covered 80% of my fertility treatment costs.
see above

2021 - 2022, Unknown Success
The kindest thing that Dr. Swelstad did was give me a call the day before the FET. I was unable to pick up his call, but he left a voicemail and upon listening to his message, I felt more at ease with the procedure the following day. I really appreciated the couple of minutes that he took out of his day to reach out...Although the IUIs were unsuccessful, Dr. Swelstad's guidance and medication adjustments were welcomed
Generally, my experience at [SGF] Fair Oaks has been a good one. My favorite person (other than Dr. Swelstad) at the Fair Oaks office was Tiffany who (a majority of the time) drew my blood. She is so lovely and nice. I always enjoyed by short interactions with her. The front staff is nice enough. Sometimes the mornings are very busy (most of my appointments) but there is that 1-2 times where I was the only person in the wait room.
How was your experience with Brad Swelstad at Shady Grove Fertility?
I wish that I could have had more face-to-face interactions with Dr. Swelstad but I understand that at a large clinic such as SGF, that's not always possible. In the two times that Dr. Swelstad completed my ultrasound (during two IUI rounds) he always made me feel at ease and made me feel like he knew who I was based on our virtual meetings. Dr. Swelstad is direct and considerate. He added dashes of humor to our interactions and I liked that about our conversations. Although the IUIs were unsuccessful, Dr. Swelstad's guidance and medication adjustments were welcomed. My husband and I have been very happy with our relationship with Dr. Swelstad. We are at the beginning of an active pregnancy journey and we hope to be able to share happy news with Dr. Swelstad by the end of this year!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Brad Swelstad at Shady Grove Fertility?
Don't be afraid to ask Dr. Swelstad questions. He might not give you warm, fuzzy responses, but he is honest and clear.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Brad Swelstad at Shady Grove Fertility?
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Although I am reviewing the Fair Oaks clinic, I also went to the Fairfax location and the SGF location in Rockville. Generally, my experience at Fair Oaks has been a good one. My favorite person (other than Dr. Swelstad) at the Fair Oaks office was Tiffany who (a majority of the time) drew my blood. She is so lovely and nice. I always enjoyed by short interactions with her. The front staff is nice enough. Sometimes the mornings are very busy (most of my appointments) but there is that 1-2 times where I was the only person in the wait room.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brad Swelstad at Shady Grove Fertility.
My insurance is pretty terrific (thank goodness!), so our only costs were the PGTA testing and freezing our embryos. I also had a co-pay for the meds, but that wasn't bad.
Brad Swelstad

2019 - 2022, Successful
She [Dr. Esposito] was extremely compassionate. Very willing to take the time to talk to me about all of my concerns. Allowed me to ask questions and didn’t make me feel stupid for any of the questions I asked...For my egg retrieval I was on menopeur, and gonal F. It yielded 15 eggs, 11 fertilized and 4 made it to day 5/6 with 2 testing genetically normal through PGT-A testing. For my first transfer I was on estrogen and 5 days of PIO prior to the transfer. For my second transfer, after an ERA cycle adjustments were made to my protocol.
My nurse [at Shady Grove Fertility] was always willing to answer my questions. She was available by both phone and the portal. She made sure I understood everything completely and would review multiple times to make sure I understood...At times the office was difficult to get ahold of by phone. The front desk staff at times was not very welcoming. As a whole the clinic is very organized and extremely responsive. I would want a new patient to know that it’s ok to be persistent. That you must advocate for yourself not only with your doctor and clinical care team but at times with the front desk staff in regards to scheduling appointments.
How was your experience with Melissa Esposito at Shady Grove Fertility?
There was never a time where I didn’t feel heard or seen as a patient. Dr. Esposito was always understanding of my concerns and hesitations. She took the time to explain to me anything I had Questions about. After learning my son was born 14 weeks prematurely she made sure to check in to see how he was doing and has continued to check in on him. She truly cares about her patients and wants them to be successful in their treatment.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Melissa Esposito at Shady Grove Fertility?
Go in with an open mind. Be open to hearing your options and don’t be afraid to ask questions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Melissa Esposito at Shady Grove Fertility?
She was extremely compassionate. Very willing to take the time to talk to me about all of my concerns. Allowed me to ask questions and didn’t make me feel stupid for any of the questions I asked
Describe the protocols Melissa Esposito used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jessica Klock)
My nurse was always willing to answer my questions. She was available by both phone and the portal. She made sure I understood everything completely and would review multiple times to make sure I understood.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Monitoring appointments were always scheduled for the morning, I never felt like just a number. I always felt like my time was valued and respected.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Melissa Esposito at Shady Grove Fertility.
Roughly $30,000 including costs of medication

2021 - 2022, Unknown Success
She [Dr. Devine] used numbers and statistics to explain her reasoning for decisions and for her overall optimism for us...she is direct and appointments feel quick - come with questions ready and prioritize their importance...Dr Devine showed up to do our second transfer even though she wasn’t on call for transfers that day, which was a lovely surprise...Dr Devine almost always recommends eSET vs multiples...
The Rockville office [Shady Grove Fertility] is calm and the facilities are modern. The nurses and nurse anesthetist for egg retrieval were stellar...Despite having many patients, they seem to get everyone scheduled when they need to be...sometimes appointments can start late esp for bloodwork and ultrasound. Sometimes it feels like until you’re an IVF patient, you’re low priority. Sometimes I felt like the coordination between the andrology lab and the other areas was lacking...
How was your experience with Kate Devine at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Devine is the director of research and I trusted that she had up to date, accurate, and thorough information to guide us. She presented options and answered our questions. All the while, she was reassuring about our prospects. She is direct, so we felt that she would have told us if she weren’t optimistic. Dr. Devine seems busy - we had 3 zoom appointments with her and then met her in person when she came to do our second transfer (which was a pleasant surprise)! We would go back to her for baby #2.
Know that she is direct and appointments feel quick - come with questions ready and prioritize their importance.
Dr Devine was kind and reassuring to us right off the bat. She used numbers and statistics to explain her reasoning for decisions and for her overall optimism for us. Although we had previously only met her on zoom, Dr Devine showed up to do our second transfer even though she wasn’t on call for transfers that day, which was a lovely surprise. The nurses helped me feel like a human because every time we talked on the phone, they were willing to answer all of my questions and I knew they were in contact with Dr. Devine.
We were not quite at a year so Dr Devine recommended starting with unmedicated IUIs. We did 3 without success. At that point, we were at a year and she gave us the option of medicated IUI or straight to IVF. She did not push us either way, but told us why a couple might opt for one or the other. We went straight to IVF because of its higher likelihood of success. My stims cycle was pretty straightforward, with a Lupron trigger prescribed over hcg due to worries about OHSS (which I didn’t ultimately get). I opted for a freeze all cycle and we did PGT-A testing for our 9 embryos, 5 of which came back normal. We did two medicated transfers, the first of which failed and the second of which has resulted in a current pregnancy. The first cycle, we did estrace 3x daily plus PIO every third day and endometrin inserts twice daily. For the second cycle, I think dropped the inserts and did PIO daily (my preference). She offered us a modified natural cycle which we would have tried except that we had a lot of travel that precluded it. That would have been our next choice of transfer 2 had not worked.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie, KC, Vanessa were my main 3)
The nurses were lovely. In particular, Stephanie was always so kind, reassuring, and willing to answer my MANY questions along the way through messages and on the phone.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Strengths: multiple facilities in the area, relatively easy to make appointments once you’re a patient, top notch doctors and care team. The Rockville office is calm and the facilities are modern. The nurses and nurse anesthetist for egg retrieval were stellar. Dr Humm did my retrieval and was superb. Despite having many patients, they seem to get everyone scheduled when they need to be! Cons: there are a lot of patients and they do seem busy at times, sometimes appointments can start late esp for bloodwork and ultrasound. Sometimes it feels like until you’re an IVF patient, you’re low priority. Sometimes I felt like the coordination between the andrology lab and the other areas was lacking.
IVF was about $7000 after insurance. FET cycles were about $1000 plus a $645 “thaw fee” not covered by insurance. Embryo storage is $60/month per retrieval cycle.
Describe Kate Devine's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Dr Devine almost always recommends eSET vs multiples. Multiples was not an option for us, which we didn’t mind.
2020 - 2022, Successful
Use Dr Garde if you want someone matter of fact and willing to explain things fully. I don't require a ton of empathy or bedside manner, someone who needs a high level of warmth may not get it from her simply because she's busy and direct... has many patients and is booked fully and isn't always the one to reply to emails or even do all the procedures...she was there for the at the times that mattered.
SGF is a well-run operation with great amenities (offices, online portal, etc). They have a strong and big team and it shows. I was lucky to "find" a normal embryo by my 3rd IVF cycle (age 40). I get the sense SGF runs a pretty standard set of protocols. For women / couples requiring highly custom protocol or who want to do things that are more off the normal path, another clinic may be preferred.
How was your experience with Rachana Garde at Shady Grove Fertility?
Shady Grove, and Dr Garde, may not be for everyone but they were great for me. They run a big operation, and some people may not like the feel. For me, there was always someone there to respond or see me on a moment's notice, bloodwork is run quickly, etc. Dr Garde clearly has many patients and is booked fully and isn't always the one to reply to emails or even do all the procedures (her nurse team and other doctors assist). This doesn't bother me - They were always well-coordinated and she was there for the at the times that mattered.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rachana Garde at Shady Grove Fertility?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Rachana Garde at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr Garde, along with SGF, see a lot of patients. However, she always knew me and knew where I was in my treatment. She was direct while also being empathetic to my scenario. She gave me advice when I asked for it. She wasn't always the person to see me when I went in (that's the way SGF works), but she did make an effort to accommodate doing my transfers when I wanted her to, and she once stopped in to see me even when she wasn't my scheduled doctor.
Describe the protocols Rachana Garde used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
We did 3 egg retrievals, all with the same drugs (gonal-f, cetrotide) but varied amounts. I produced a high number of eggs for my age but after my first retrieval it became clear that quality could be my issue. I did genetic testing in my first two cycles and decided not to in my 3rd cycle (then eventually came back and did genetic testing on 2 frozen embryos from that 3rd cycle - now my daughter!).
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Rachana Garde at Shady Grove Fertility.
I don't recall exactly, but my insurance covered the vast majority (I was very lucky for this) but not genetic testing, which I recall being about $5000 per attempt.
Describe Rachana Garde's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
SGF policy is pretty strictly adhered to. If embryos are genetically tested and normal, then only one can be transferred. They won't transfer abnormal embryos. And in the case where we didn't do genetic testing, I was allowed to do multiple and I chose to transfer 2 embryos at once in consultation with Dr Garde (I did this twice - once was fresh and I failed to get pregnant; once was frozen and I miscarried).
Rachana Garde
Fairfax

2021 - 2022, Unknown Success
Dr. Nair has a great bedside manner and truly takes her time in getting to know you and your partner. She focuses on your health and ways that are beneficial in your journey to conceive...knowledgeable and tells you the blunt truth about the best treatment option...Due to my advanced age my eggs were of poor quality. She suggested other options to continue or journey to conceive. She also was very supportive when we miscarried...
Shady Grove is amazing and has everything under one roof. At first I thought I was just going to be a number, but they truly get to know you as a patient. My experience has been wonderful thus far...My original nurse retired and I have a new one. So far she has been amazing...Since we are using donor eggs the cost is not covered by insurance. However, Shady Grove does have excellent programs to help...
How was your experience with Anitha Nair at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Nair has a great bedside manner and truly takes her time in getting to know you and your partner. She focuses on your health and ways that are beneficial in your journey to conceive. I’m so thankful for her.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Anitha Nair at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Nair is knowledgeable and tells you the blunt truth about the best treatment option.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Anitha Nair at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Nair explained all my options to me and my husband. Due to my advanced age my eggs were of poor quality. She suggested other options to continue or journey to conceive. She also was very supportive when we miscarried.
Describe the protocols Anitha Nair used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
We just started our next cycle with donor eggs. Currently just on birth control. Awaiting the next steps.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Shady Grove Fertility.
My original nurse retired and I have a new one. So far she has been amazing.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady Grove is amazing and has everything under one roof. At first I thought I was just going to be a number, but they truly get to know you as a patient. My experience has been wonderful thus far. I’m looking forward to what the future holds.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Anitha Nair at Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe Anitha Nair's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Prayerfully we will get to that step sometime this year.
Anitha Nair

2022, Unsuccessful
Went to Dr. Singer and got all tests done prior to conceiving. He never told me that I was a carrier for hemophilia. I’m now currently pregnant with a baby, who tested positive for hemophilia...Always was trying to label me and I could conceive naturally. He made it like something was wrong with me at every visit
[Shady Grove Fertility has] no communication and like an assembly line. I wish someone would’ve told me about my genetics and helped what I needed nobody advised me to go through IVF to avoid my baby being a severe hemophiliac...
How was your experience with Tomer Singer at Shady Grove Fertility?
Went to Dr. Singer and got all tests done prior to conceiving. He never told me that I was a carrier for hemophilia. I’m now currently pregnant with a baby, who tested positive for hemophilia. And my baby is predicted to be a severe hemophiliac. My pregnancy journey has been the most depressing and hardest thing I’ve had to deal with.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Tomer Singer at Shady Grove Fertility?
If you want a doctor who communicates with you and is honest then seek a different doctor. My life will now be completely different having a child with a disease.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Tomer Singer at Shady Grove Fertility?
Describe the protocols Tomer Singer used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Always was trying to label me and I could conceive naturally. He made it like something was wrong with me at every visit. He never mentioned the most important thing, which is that I’m a carrier for a rare blood disorder. I will now have a son that will live with this in a severe form for the rest of his life.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Meg)
I was never told about my genetics, which could save the future of my son’s life. He will now live as a severe hemophiliac. It was a waste of time going to this practice.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
No communication and like an assembly line. I wish someone would’ve told me about my genetics and helped what I needed nobody advised me to go through IVF to avoid my baby being a severe hemophiliac
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
The clinic never told me that I carry hemophilia. My life is now forever changed as I’m pregnant with a baby, who tested positive for this rare blood disease. It is predicted to be severe. He will need to be monitored and infused at least once per week.
Tomer Singer

2021 - 2022, Unsuccessful
[Dr. Andrea Reh] did not review my records before the appointments, and it felt like she does not remember any information pertaining to my previous treatment under her supervision...I wanted to see a different provider in Shady Grove Fertility, but it would have added two more months of waiting...During 6 months of treatment, I saw her only three times (initial consult, one monitoring ultrasound, and follow-up consult). The rest of the communication with Dr. was done through the nurse.
I really liked that SGF has multiple locations and early morning monitoring appointments which provided great flexibility. Scheduling is very easy. They are quick in responding to most of the questions via the patient portal. All communication on your treatment is done through the nurse...During 6 months of treatment, I saw [Dr. Reh] only three times (initial consult, one monitoring ultrasound, and follow-up consult).
How was your experience with Andrea Reh at Shady Grove Fertility?
I wanted to see a different provider in Shady Grove Fertility, but it would have added two more months of waiting for my initial consult so I agreed to proceed with Dr. Reh. During 6 months of treatment, I saw her only three times (initial consult, one monitoring ultrasound, and follow-up consult). The rest of the communication with Dr. was done through the nurse. I did not feel I got sufficient explanations of why specific treatment was chosen based on my situation (e.g. natural vs. medicated IUI, choice of specific protocol). I felt part of the problem was that she did not review my records before the appointment, so she did to have any specific suggestions on my treatment during our conversations. I was receiving written recommendations on my treatment only after my appointment with Dr. Reh which made it more difficult to ask questions. She also did not seem caring.
Try to do your own research on possible treatments and make a list of questions that you may have about it before the appointments.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Andrea Reh at Shady Grove Fertility?
I did not feel any personal attitude from Dr. Reh's side. She did not review my records before the appointments, and it felt like she does not remember any information pertaining to my previous treatment under her supervision.
I did two IUIs using clomid, ovidrel and progesteron. I did not receive any rationale for why these medications were chosen for my cycle. I tolerated them well, and my response was also good, but both cycles failed.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I really liked that SGF has multiple locations and early morning monitoring appointments which provided great flexibility. Scheduling is very easy. They are quick in responding to most of the questions via the patient portal. All communication on your treatment is done through the nurse. She has been indeed wonderful, but I would have hoped to be able to ask Dr. questions directly and receive some explanations from her as well. I felt disappointed that IUIs (and most of the monitoring) are performed by nurces. The billing was not always consistent (I was billed in different ways for absolutely identical encounters.)
Costs through our insurance: Initial consult $200 First IUI cycle $1200 Second IUI cycle $800 (had fewer monitoring appointments), plus meds.
Describe Andrea Reh's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.

2021 - 2022, Unknown Success
Our first visit, we really liked Dr Mottla. He has a warm manner and was reassuring...We had issues as time went on, particularly with communication and with my partner being included in the process...I was disappointed with the lack of explanation when plans would change after an IUI cycle didn't work...we didn't feel like our unique situation or past conversations were being taken into account...
I go to both the Annaoplis and Columbia clinics [Shady Grove Fertility] due to where I work. Staff at both are friendly and helpful...At the Annapolis clinic, they have me meet with the nurse at the end of each labs/US appt which is VERY helpful and helps me feel comfortable with the plan. However, this is not done at the Columbia office, so there have been some miscommunication and confusion...
How was your experience with Gilbert Mottla at Shady Grove Fertility?
Our first visit, we really liked Dr Mottla. He has a warm manner and was reassuring. He was pretty realistic about success rates, which I appreciated, though I did have to press him for specific numbers. We had issues as time went on, particularly with communication and with my partner being included in the process. I am a Primary Care Doctor, so I may have been seeking more explanation of treatment plans than other people, but I was disappointed with the lack of explanation when plans would change after an IUI cycle didn't work; for example why we were switching medications. There was also a big misunderstanding where my partner and I thought we were only doing one cycle of IUI and then moving onto IVF, but after our first cycle of IUI didn't work, Dr. Mottla just created a treatment plan for a second cycle of IUI with new medications and his nurse told us as if this was the plan all along, so we didn't feel like our unique situation or past conversations were being taken into account, ie, we felt like a number. It is also fairly difficult to get timely appointments with a provider to discuss our questions and treatment plans; it definitely has not been offered or recommended and we have had to advocate for ourselves to schedule and schedule pretty far in advance, which can be stressful during the very uncertain journey of infertility treatment.Once I voiced my concerns about wanting more explanation for treatment decisions, Dr Mottla and our nurse did try to share more of the clinical thought process with me, which I appreciate greatly. I would like to see the default approach be to ask patients what level of information and explanation they appreciate. The staff at the Annapolis location also provides more explanation than the Columbia office. At the Annapolis office, the nurse meets with me after each labs/US visit to go over the plan and see if I have questions, which I LOVE, but the Columbia office doesn't do that, and I have to go to both offices due to where I work, so there have been miscommunication and misunderstandings esp when I go to the Columbia office. Finally, my partner has felt very removed from the process which has been hard on both of us. For reasons still somewhat unclear to me, Dr. Mottla called me initially to discuss my partner's semen analysis results instead of my partner, and wasn't planning on calling my partner until I asked him to; this felt very inappropriate to us and like an effort wasn't being made to include him. They say that they treat us "like a team", but all that really means is that everything falls on the woman, which leaves me feeling stressed and alone and him feeling excluded and ignored. Citing COVID protocols, my partner was excluded from my IUI ultrasound. We had been excited for him to be more involved and he is scientifically-minded, so I thought it would be cool for him to see the dominant follicle and be more involved in the process, as well as to be there to support me. Unfortunately, we didn't realize he couldn't come in until we were at the appt, so he spent the appt stewing in the car for 45 mins and I felt more alone than ever. I take COVID very seriously, but it is April 2022, he is fully vaccinated including booster, and I know firsthand that most offices and hospitals are lifting their restrictions, so it was all around upsetting and seemed to have little medical reasoning.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Gilbert Mottla at Shady Grove Fertility?
Advocate for yourself early and often. If you want to see him/discuss your treatment plan, schedule an appointment with plenty of advance notice. If you want to know the actual chances of success, ask for specific numbers; fertility care in general tends to default to toxic positivity which was counterproductive and upsetting for my partner and me.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Gilbert Mottla at Shady Grove Fertility?
Describe the protocols Gilbert Mottla used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
IUI x3, first clomid, then letrazole for last two cycles due to thin uterine lining (6mm) at day 8-9. Also used vaginal estrogen for first two cycles and menopur for last cycle. HCG trigger shot and vaginal progesterone used for all three cycles.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Ashley Hall)
Ashley is a little newer to fertility care, so there were some miscommunications initially, but she listened to my feedback and since then, she has been proactive with communicating treatment plans and explanations with me. She is very professional, respectful, and compassionate.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I go to both the Annaoplis and Columbia clinics due to where I work. Staff at both are friendly and helpful. Toxic positivity has sometimes been an issue; for example staff telling me "that's so exciting" at the start of IUI, which was actually a pretty stressful and confusing time for us. At the Annapolis clinic, they have me meet with the nurse at the end of each labs/US appt which is VERY helpful and helps me feel comfortable with the plan. However, this is not done at the Columbia office, so there have been some miscommunication and confusion. I strongly recommend that patients advocate for themselves and ask questions as much as possible.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Gilbert Mottla at Shady Grove Fertility.
No insurance coverage, paid $1440 for each IUI cycle and extra for meds
Describe Gilbert Mottla's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Unknown
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
We have gotten conflicting information at times for treatment plans and reasoning, eg nurse told us that doctor recommended switching medications but didn't know why; one nurse told us a medication was for one thing and another nurse told us it was for something different. When my husband had his first semen analysis, there was an abnormal result but we didn't realize till he signed up for the portal 2 wks later; no one had called with the results, and when the doctor did call, they called me instead of my husband.
Gilbert Mottla

2019 - 2022, Successful
Dr. Widra was kind and professional during all of our interactions. He is a man of science and he was very up front with us about the best course of action...I had a great experience with Dr. Widra. I was 37 with diminished ovarian reserve when I went to see him and we were keen to move ahead with IVF and he was very upfront about our odds of success. Our first round yielded two genetically normal embryos and he encouraged us to do one more round which yielded three genetically normal embryos. We then did the progesterone receptivity test before moving ahead with a frozen transfer which resulted in a successful pregnancy and a baby girl. His advice was spot-on.
The [Shady Grove Fertility] billing department is a hellscape. We got so many confusing bills and statements and it was just awful to deal with them but the medical side of the business is great. The nurses and doctors are so caring and compassionate...The nursing staff is lovely and since this is such a high traffic place they keep on top of you and help you stay organized...Dr. Widra was kind and professional during all of our interactions. He is a man of science and he was very up front with us about the best course of action.
How was your experience with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
He is a man of science and will get right to the point.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The billing department is a hellscape. We got so many confusing bills and statements and it was just awful to deal with them but the medical side of the business is great. The nurses and doctors are so caring and compassionate.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility.
$60K - we did not have insurance. This covered two rounds of egg retrieval and transfer.
Describe Eric Widra's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
The office does single embryo transfer and allows for sex selection (we had all girls so didn't need to do this).

2022, Consult
Not only was she [Dr. Timmreck] cold and not interested in listening to my concerns she abruptly ended our conversation and stated she was busy and other patients to see. She mentioned numerous times throughout our conversations that she was busy. It was clear that I was not her priority during my appointment. Not only did she dismiss my concerns but she made feel as though I was just number going through a factory...
The clinic [Shady Grove Fertility] had tons of appointments openings, very easy to schedule testing. The ease of scheduling appointments was very nice. The clinic was easy to fine and had a huge waiting room. However, the long wait time once you arrive to your appointment can be a little frustrating...Very impersonal experience. Recommendations were not unique yo my situation and just though I brought up very specific concerns, she [Dr. Timmreck] brushed over them and said she had zero experience in treating my condition...
How was your experience with Lorna Timmreck at Shady Grove Fertility?
I had a traumatic experience meeting with Dr. Timmreck. She lacks compassion and experience with diverse patients. Not only was she cold and not interested in listening to my concerns she abruptly ended our conversation and stated she was busy and other patients to see. She mentioned numerous times throughout our conversations that she was busy. It was clear that I was not her priority during my appointment. Not only did she dismiss my concerns but she made feel as though I was just number going through a factory. She stated she did not have experience with patients like me and that she is not at expert. I not recommend her.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lorna Timmreck at Shady Grove Fertility?
Get another doctor, do not work with her.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lorna Timmreck at Shady Grove Fertility?
Very impersonal experience. Recommendations were not unique yo my situation and just though I brought up very specific concerns, she brushed over them and said she had zero experience in treating my condition
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The clinic had tons of appointments openings, very easy to schedule testing. The ease of scheduling appointments was very nice. The clinic was easy to fine and had a huge waiting room. However, the long wait time once you arrive to your appointment can be a little frustrating
Lorna Timmreck

2021 - 2022, Successful
the most kind, thoughtful and validating doctor you can imagine. She [Dr. Esposito] absolutely knows what she’s doing and tailors your treatment plan to YOU, regardless of what is typical or not...When we began discussing transfer protocol, she mentioned a modified natural FET, using my body’s hormones mostly with some hormonal support...she was the one who performed my transfer and tailored my transfer protocol to our situation...
had the absolute best care team [at Shady Grove Fertility]. I always had a million questions and she talked through all of them with me. I never felt rushed off the phone, even when I knew she had other patients to call. She was my calm and reassurance when I needed it - I couldn’t imagine having a different nurse on my care team...conveniently has multiple locations for monitoring. Patient portal is easy to use. Easy to make appts...if you don’t get one of the 7am lab appts, you’re waiting forever. Can very much feel like a conveyor belt...
How was your experience with Melissa Esposito at Shady Grove Fertility?
Literally the most kind, thoughtful and validating doctor you can imagine. She absolutely knows what she’s doing and tailors your treatment plan to YOU, regardless of what is typical or not. She will hold your hand through the hard and celebrate every success with you.
Get on her books as soon as possible. You will not regret it.
I switched to Dr. Esposito after not receiving the care and compassion from another doctor in the clinic. On my first consultation with her, I felt heard, seen and validated. I cried with relief because I had felt so tired of having to advocate so hard for myself and with her, I felt like I finally had someone in my corner. She thoroughly reviewed my chart and didn’t dismiss a single question (and there were many). I had a severe complication from my egg retrieval (completed by a different doctor), she called me TWICE a day in the hospital to check on me. She made sure she was the one who performed my transfer and tailored my transfer protocol to our situation. When our first transfer was successful, she performed almost every ultrasound knowing how anxious I was due to our recurrent losses. I could not have asked for a better doctor and i’m so grateful to her.
We anticipated great results from egg retrieval. We retrieved 12 eggs, 11 mature, 8 fertilized, 2 day 5s & 1 day 6, 2 pgt normal. I had severe internal bleeding after the egg retrieval that was performed by a different doctor (rare complication). We decided to push back the FET to let my body heal from the hormones and complication. I was so thankful for this suggestion even if I was disappointed, I knew it was the right call and trusted her judgement. When we began discussing transfer protocol, she mentioned a modified natural FET, using my body’s hormones mostly with some hormonal support. She said she had great success with her RPL patients. She told me to think on it, research and come back with any questions. After researching, I knew this is what I wanted to do! I was still on progesterone suppositories and used my body’s ovulation cycle to time the trigger shot and transfer. I’m so glad I listened because our transfer was successful and now we have our rainbow baby!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Casey!)
Casey is the best! I had the absolute best care team. I always had a million questions and she talked through all of them with me. I never felt rushed off the phone, even when I knew she had other patients to call. She was my calm and reassurance when I needed it - I couldn’t imagine having a different nurse on my care team!
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Strengths - conveniently has multiple locations for monitoring. Patient portal is easy to use. Easy to make appts. Weaknesses - if you don’t get one of the 7am lab appts, you’re waiting forever. Can very much feel like a conveyor belt.
I was lucky to have insurance coverage and was close to my OOPM when I started under Dr. Esposito’s care so we had a significantly lower cost than I had always heard about and anticipated.

2021 - 2022, Successful
Dr Rey took time to understand my lengthy and complicated journey to pursue IVF treatment. She acknowledged how difficult it was and was kind but clear about her approach...We decided that for my next embryo transfer we would try an unmedicated cycle before transfer since I had been able to get pregnant previously...The natural cycle worked better and my uterine lining got thicker than the previous cycle – my embryo transfer went smoothly and I'm now 9 weeks pregnant....
[at Shady Grove Fertility] Lots of locations, caring staff, considerate team members. Only negative I experienced was that sometimes the AM monitoring staff at Arlington seemed grumpy – perhaps they were understaffed but they were not as friendly as nurse staff at other Shady Grove locations...My primary nurse communicated clearly and was my liaison with Dr Rey. She showed care and a clear understanding of my particular fertility case...
How was your experience with Andrea Reh at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr Rey was wonderful, she connected with me at important moments, made sure I had time and space to ask questions, and she always made me feel like she was familiar with the details of my fertility journey.
She has a very calm demeanor but don't take that as a lack of enthusiasm or investment in helping you have a baby.
Started with a standard egg retrieval process with injectable medications. Resulted in 3 day-5 embryos, which were then biopsied for PGT A & PGT M. Only 1 embryo was cleared for transfer. I was hoping for more than 1 viable embryo so Dr Rey counseled me on options and we decided to do a 2nd round of egg retrieval – she upped my medication levels this time, resulting in 6 or 7 embryos that were then sent for genetic testing. Of those, we got 4 viable embryos! Once we had 5 embryos we decided to move forward with a medicated frozen embryo transfer. During the medication lead up to the transfer my uterine lining was not thickening up to an ideal number – I discussed with Dr Rey and since my lining was naturally thin, I opted to move forward with the embryo transfer. I got a positive pregnancy test but had a miscarriage at week 6. I was pretty devastated and doubting myself – thinking I had done something wrong. When talking to Dr. Rey she was honest with me that even she was a bit surprised that I miscarried with a genetically viable embryo, but she explained that PGT testing isn't 100% guaranteed due to what cells are tested in the blastocyst stage. We decided that for my next embryo transfer we would try an unmedicated cycle before transfer since I had been able to get pregnant previously. (I pursued IVF because I had to terminate two wanted pregnancies due to fatal genetic issues, my husband and I are carriers of the same genetic disease) The natural cycle worked better and my uterine lining got thicker than the previous cycle – my embryo transfer went smoothly and I'm now 9 weeks pregnant.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Brittany)
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
My fertility care was covered by my employer so I had minimal exposure to costs. I will say that Shady Grove offered financial consultations and plans.
Dr Rey explained that they typically transfer a single embryo because of the risks associated with twins, especially for someone at my age (37). She also recommended 1 embryo since I had been able to get pregnant naturally in the past and my focus in IVF was pre-implantation genetic testing.

2022, Successful
Dr. Malik was an amazing listener and really cared about our results. I saw several NP's for my bloodwork/ultrasound appointments but she was checking in and I knew always reviewing my results. She performed the actual implantation procedure and was always patient to answer my questions...I usually heard from the same nurse on her team which was so helpful for dosage/bloodwork instructions...She spent a super long time getting to know us in my first consult and always took time to answer all of my questions...
How was your experience with Shruti Malik at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Malik was an amazing listener and really cared about our results. I saw several NP's for my bloodwork/ultrasound appointments but she was checking in and I knew always reviewing my results. She performed the actual implantation procedure and was always patient to answer my questions. I would highly recommend her!!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Shruti Malik at Shady Grove Fertility?
Trust her and her team, it seems so overwhelming but you're in good hands and they always give bite sized information to take it day by day.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Shruti Malik at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Malik was SO MUCH BETTER than the first doctor I saw. She spent a super long time getting to know us in my first consult and always took time to answer all of my questions. She and her staff were wonderful, I usually heard from the same nurse on her team which was so helpful for dosage/bloodwork instructions. She was warm and I would 1000% recommend her to friends (already have)!
Describe the protocols Shruti Malik used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
We first tried an IUI since we're relatively young and healthy and have unexplained infertility. Rather than continue to try IUI's, we opted to try IVF as insurance didn't pay for any of it, we wanted to put the money towards the better option (percentage of success wise). We did one cycle of IVF, and our first fresh transfer was a success. We are so grateful!
Brittany was my main point of contact at Shady Grove and would call me every afternoon to give me the results of that mornings tests and explain next steps. She was super patience explaining the dosage of the meds, and there were others who walked me through the meds in person multiple times because I was so intimidated by mixing and shooting. But the whole team was always supportive and wonderful.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady Grove Arlington was by far a better experience than Shady Grove Fairfax. The first doctor I had there (older guy) had a terrible bedside manner and didn't explain anything to me. Didn't even ask me very many questions about our history or situation. Dr. Malik and the team at Arlington was a godsend. Even the blood techs were way better! Shoutout to Carmen who ALWAYS found my vein. Fairfax had a few amateurs who took two and three jabs. Not usually a problem but when it's every morning, it was terrible.
Mornings were always busy to be expected, wished they had some later options but it is what it is.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Shruti Malik at Shady Grove Fertility.
The cost of the actual IVF were laid out clearly, one thing that wasn't were the meds. We had nothing covered by insurance so while it was estimated we'd pay 5K for meds, it was more like 8K because of increased dosage and refills. Good to know- just over estimate if you're paying out of pocket.
Describe Shruti Malik's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Dr. Malik strongly recommended we only try one embryo for now since it was our first try, and she was right- it stuck! Grateful to be pregnant with one :)

2021 - 2022, Successful
Dr. Reh is a wonderful provider would be an understatement. She is outstanding and provided a warm and successful experience from beginning to end. Because of Dr. Reh, we now have a beautiful daughter. All credit goes to her...From our very first visit with Dr. Reh, my husband and I knew we could trust her...If I choose to move forward with a second embryo transfer, I will make sure Dr. Reh is my provider. She is outstanding and the absolute best
The volume at Shady Grove is very high. Many many patients walk through the doors, but don't let that deter you. The staff is very professional and patients are never just "numbers"...large institution and you may not always see Dr. Reh at your appointments. Trust the process. She is still overseeing your treatment and is always available via her staff...To say Dr. Reh is a wonderful provider would be an understatement. She is outstanding and provided a warm and successful experience from beginning to end. Because of Dr. Reh, we now have a beautiful daughter. All credit goes to her and her team.
How was your experience with Andrea Reh at Shady Grove Fertility?
To say Dr. Reh is a wonderful provider would be an understatement. She is outstanding and provided a warm and successful experience from beginning to end. Because of Dr. Reh, we now have a beautiful daughter. All credit goes to her and her team. From our very first visit with Dr. Reh, my husband and I knew we could trust her. She directed us to begin our journey with medicated/timed cycles. We tried four cycles of Letrozole. After that treatment did not result in pregnancy, we moved to IVF. Dr. Reh explained thoroughly explained the IVF process and our individualized odds of success. We were incredibly confident in her treatment plan. We underwent one egg retrieval cycle which resulted in three PGT-normal embryos. I let my body rest for a few months after the egg retrieval and transferred one embryo, which resulted in a success pregnancy and birth. Dr. Reh personally called me the morning of the egg retrieval to wish me luck and was present for my "graduation" appointment at Shady Grove before I moved to my OBGYN. She was also my provider for several of my monitoring appointments. If I choose to move forward with a second embryo transfer, I will make sure Dr. Reh is my provider. She is outstanding and the absolute best Shady Grove has to offer.
Shady Grove is a large institution and you may not always see Dr. Reh at your appointments. Trust the process. She is still overseeing your treatment and is always available via her staff.
Dr. Reh, her staff and the entire Shady Grove team truly "saw" me. They understood my concerns and goals. I never felt like they were too busy to answer my questions.
I do not ovulate regularly, so I started with Letrozole and medicated/timed cycles. I completed four cycles of varying dosages. While I did ovulate each time, I did not become pregnant. When I moved to IVF, I used an antagonist protocol (Gonal, Menopur and Cetrotide) for my stimulation cycle. I produced 22 eggs. ICSI was used resulting in three PGT-normal embryos. One embryo was transferred which then gave us a successful pregnancy and a healthy baby girl.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Brittany Lessik, RN)
Brittany was absolutely fantastic in every way! Brittany was extremely responsive and communicative. She quickly answered all of my questions about protocols and prescriptions. However, she was also incredibly sympathetic. She was compassionate during the difficult times and celebrated our wins! Brittany is a tremendous asset to Shady Grove. I feel very very lucky to have had her as my Fertility Care Coordinator.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The volume at Shady Grove is very high. Many many patients walk through the doors, but don't let that deter you. The staff is very professional and patients are never just "numbers". I utilized the Arlington office for 90% of my appointments, but they do not perform monitoring over the weekends. I was appreciative the Fairfax office accommodated Saturday and Sunday appointments.
We took advantage of the Shared Risk program. Treatment and medications totaled $30,000.

2020 - 2022, Successful
I really enjoyed working with Dr. Malik. From the very first appointment she outlined the options available to me and we created a game plan. When our initial plan did not work, we discussed a change in course and she listened to my concerns...Even though I did not see or speak to Dr. Malik every single time I was in the office for misc. appointments I always knew that my questions via the portal would be answered quickly...
Someone always answered the phones when I called which may sound minor but given my experience with other medical practices was a welcome change. Everyone was courteous and informed...The only weakness regarding the front desk staff is that I received inconsistent pricing for my IUI...Whenever she could, she would give me samples from the doctors office to help with costs. The duo of Dr. Malik and Patrice made this process easy.
How was your experience with Shruti Malik at Shady Grove Fertility?
I really enjoyed working with Dr. Malik. From the very first appointment she outlined the options available to me and we created a game plan. When our initial plan did not work, we discussed a change in course and she listened to my concerns. I had 2-3 virtual appointments with Dr. Malik. She called me after major milestones and conducted my egg transfer. I had no issues with the practice's set-up (i.e. most day-to-day communications occurring through nurses and inseminations occurring with NP/other physicians). Even though I did not see or speak to Dr. Malik every single time I was in the office for misc. appointments I always knew that my questions via the portal would be answered quickly.
Be honest with her about your wishes. She listens and will respond accordingly. If you don't tell her, she can't help you.
She always took the time to answer my questions which were plentiful and I never felt rushed through our appointments. She knew the facts of my case and I did not have to remind her about specifics.
I am a single mother by choice and my initial tests (Fall 2020) came back fine so we started out with unmedicated IUIs. I wanted to avoid pumping my body with meds if possible. I had planned on stopping the journey if I was unsuccessful after 3 IUIs. The second IUI resulted in a chemical pregnancy. After the third IUI I re-evaluated my options with Dr. Malik and decided that I did in fact want to keep going. I even decided that I would attempt a 4th IUI. If that was unsuccessful then I would switch to IVF, which I did. With the first stim cycle the objective was to have me on the lowest level meds possible. Sadly, my body did not respond to the meds so the cycle had to be cancelled. I was an emotional wreck and knew I only had 1 more cycle in me. Thus, I asked that she max me out to the highest level of meds that was safe to give me the best chance. She agreed and we did that for the second stim cycle. My body did respond and we ended up with 3 embryos. 1 was transferred fresh and 2 other were frozen.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Patrice Smith)
I adored Patrice. I had so many questions during the process that she promptly responded to. She had a great bedside manner. Even when her phone calls delivered bad news she would take her time to listen to me offer her insight on the process. When I transitioned to IVF I was concerned about the cost of the medications. Whenever she could, she would give me samples from the doctors office to help with costs. The duo of Dr. Malik and Patrice made this process easy.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Someone always answered the phones when I called which may sound minor but given my experience with other medical practices was a welcome change. Everyone was courteous and informed. I enjoyed the fact that there were multiple offices I could visit based upon my schedule and availability. I split my time between Fair Oaks, which was opened Monday through Friday and handled my monitoring appointments, and Fairfax, which was opened on the weekends and handled inseminations/IVF procedures. I received the same high level of care at both offices. The only weakness regarding the front desk staff is that I received inconsistent pricing for my IUI. I had to pay out of pocket and it seemed like the staff was not used to this, thus I would be quoted between $200 - $250. I would just budget $250 and if it was less it would be a bonus to me. The finance department had some weakness as well. They were a bit slow to respond (compared to the speed of the nurses) and sometimes their explanations were unclear. However, I had heard that same complaint from others before I began working with the finance department so knowing that was the case I stayed on top of them. In the end, that weakness was insignificant to me in the grand scheme of things.
$200-$250 per IUI $20K IVF procedure $7-10K IVF meds
Dr. Malik's position was that it best to transfer one embryo at a time due to the medical risks associated with multiples pregnancy. I was fine with this as I had no desire to have multiples.

2021 - 2022, Successful
She [Dr. Reh] clearly understood emotions were involved in our decision making process. She was patient as we took our time to decide next steps, changed our minds and was very reassuring with all of our concerns...She increased our letrizole dosage to help increase chances for pregnancy by having multiple eggs produced at once. She was always careful not to over stimulate. We also tried chlomid upon our own request and desire to try other ovulation stimulating medication. And finally she was a pro at our IVF...
The nurses [at Shady Grove Fertility] were extremely responsive to questions about the treatment. They not only provided detailed answers that were easy to follow, but they were very quick to respond...once you get to your first treatment, the place runs like a well oiled machine. Communication through the portal is extremely efficient and the pharmacy recommendations are phenomenal. Appointments are easy to schedule...
How was your experience with Andrea Reh at Shady Grove Fertility?
I could not have asked for a better doctor. Fertility treatment is always challenging, but Dr. Reh made the process easier. She was extremely patient and excellent at making sure to address all of our concerns.
Follow the process and be patient because fertility treatment takes time (after all, one cycle is a minimum of 28 days).
She clearly understood emotions were involved in our decision making process. She was patient as we took our time to decide next steps, changed our minds and was very reassuring with all of our concerns..
She increased our letrizole dosage to help increase chances for pregnancy by having multiple eggs produced at once. She was always careful not to over stimulate. We also tried chlomid upon our own request and desire to try other ovulation stimulating medication. And finally she was a pro at our IVF. She carefully adjusted the medication for optimal results (maximizing the number of developed eggs at the same time) and we had resounding success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Tammy, Brittany, Rachel)
The nurses were extremely responsive to questions about the treatment. They not only provided detailed answers that were easy to follow, but they were very quick to respond.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
It takes a while to enter the system in terms of registering and initial testing. But once you get to your first treatment, the place runs like a well oiled machine. Communication through the portal is extremely efficient and the pharmacy recommendations are phenomenal. Appointments are easy to schedule.
My insurance only covered initial diagnostic treatment. The fertility treatment itself was out-of-pocket, though the clinic did give information on financial resources if needed.
We did PGT-A testing and therefore only did a single embryo transfer.

2021 - 2022, 30 Eggs Frozen
Listened to him [Dr. Widra], listen to yourself, ask questions- he will answer them...Very nerdy and wants the best outcome and will share lots of numbers with you, to ensure you have all the information to understand what’s going on. He was understanding and listened to me concerns when I had any. He often went into details until I I fully understood.
[Shady Grove Fertility is] Super effective and efficient with appointments. I’ve never waited more than 5 mins. Friendly and warm and welcoming. I don’t feel like a number, they know my face and ask how I am doing and if need anything. I’m on a first name bases with the staff after 2 appointments...[nurses are] Responsive, great listeners, knowledgeable, compassionate, funny, and angels!
How was your experience with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
Listened to him, listen to yourself, ask questions- he will answer them.
I was asked how I was feeling and coping by the doctor. He encouraged acupuncture which was my favorite part of this whole process.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Shady Grove Fertility.
Responsive, great listeners, knowledgeable, compassionate, funny, and angels!
$7,500 for one egg freezing cycle without drugs