LGBTQ+ Competent Care
LGBTQ+ Competent Care

Based on reviews from the LGBTQ+ community.

LGBTQ+ Care
LGBTQ+ Care

Ratings of 1 indicate an unsatisfactory LGBTQ+ care.

Ratings of 10 indicate an excellent LGBTQ+ care.

Redwood City
570 Price Avenue
Redwood City, CA 94063
1 Daniel Burnham Court
San Francisco, CA 94109
San Francisco - SOMA
425 Mission St
San Francisco, CA 94105

I like that Dr. Tran answers questions candidly. He never "sugar coats." I personally am data driven and prefer facts over feelings, especially in my situation (diminished ovarian reserve at 30 yrs old), so I prefer his approach. He's kind but not warm which is fine with me considering he's supposed to be my doctor, not my friend...[eSET approach] I am doing day 3 embryos because I have so few so we will be transferring 2.
my primary nurse [at Spring Fertility] she's been amazing throughout my treatment (I've been with them for almost 4 months now). She responds thoroughly to all my questions and is also generally kind...[check insurance]Apparently, insurance contracted rates are different then self pay rates. For example, paying for my medication through insurance would have cost $9000 against my lifetime max of $20k (for ONE cycle). That doesn't even count the procedure or monitoring appts. Self pay was only $1600
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility San Francisco?
I like Dr. Tran because he seems very knowledgeable and data driven. I only have one complaint which is that he does not seem able to give recommendations on specific treatment protocols. I have very very low amh for my age, and at the beginning of my treatment, I didn't know if I should be trying to do multiple retrievals to get more eggs before trying a transfer. I asked what people in my situation normally do and he seemed hesitant to provide any detail and a comparison point for me. In addition, I've done 3 min stim cycles (oral medication + injections), the first two with clomid and the 3rd with letrizole because I wanted to do a fresh transfer with the last one. The first two went very well. The last failed in that my follicles did not grow. Although it's a small sample size, I would think we should want to go back to clomid and then try a FET. He wasn't able to provide much guidance for me. In that situation, I would have wanted advice. However, I think for liability reasons, they cannot "recommend" particular treatments protocols or fresh/frozen transfers so I'm not sure if this is something I can truly fault him for.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Nam Tran at Spring Fertility San Francisco?
Be sure that you want a more scientific doctor as opposed to a warm and friendly doctor.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility San Francisco?
Describe the protocols Nam Tran used in your cycles at Spring Fertility San Francisco and their degree of success.
I've done three retrievals with Dr Tran. All three were min-stim cycles meaning 5 days with clomid or letrizole and then another 4-8 days with gonal f and menopur (150 units gonal f, 75 menopur). The first went very well- clomid seemed to work well for me and from an initial scan where only 2-4 follicles were visible, I had 6 eggs retrieved, 4 mature, 1 almost mature=3 frozen day 3 embryos; 2 ok quality, 1 good quality. That took 11 days total until trigger; 5 days of clomid and 6 days of stims. The 2nd cycle similar thing happened- I had EIGHT follicles as of day 8 of the cycle! But unfortunately at retrieval, the doctor said 2 follicles on the left prematurely ovulated and they couldn't retrieve them. So we only retrieved 5 eggs, only 3 mature and 1 almost mature. Crazy enough, the 1 that was almost mature did mature and ended up becoming a Morula (stage between day 3 and blastocyst) and I had one other good quality day 3 embryo (both frozen). That took 9 days total until trigger, 5 of clomid, 4 days stims. The 3rd was a disaster. I decided I wanted to try and fresh transfer so we switched to letrizole for the first 5 days. At day 5, I had a measly 3 follicles, one at 10mm, the other two small. Day 8, had more 6, but the largest one had only grown one mm. Day 11, I had 8 follicles but the biggest ones weren't growing. He made me go for another 3 days so in total, I did 5 days on letrizole and NINE days on stims. We ended up cancelling which I was happy about and to be honest, I was a little frustrated that they let me go that long bc it ended up doubling the cost of my medication that cycle. After that, I knew logically I should go back to using clomid. So am going to do a 4th cycle, freeze only, and then do a FET after that. Dr Tran didn't necessarily push me that way but to me, it seemed obvious (even if the sample size was small).
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility San Francisco. (Assigned nurse: Jillian)
Jill was my primary nurse and she's been amazing throughout my treatment (I've been with them for almost 4 months now). She responds thoroughly to all my questions and is also generally kind.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility San Francisco.
Spring's facilities are clean and updated. The doctors, nurses, and receptionists were all lovely. However, Spring's billing department was frustrating to work with. The kind of insurance I have is a lifetime max. Meaning that once I've used up $20k, they won't cover anything else and we will have to pay everything out of pocket. It was very unclear what would be applied against my lifetime max. Apparently, insurance contracted rates are different then self pay rates. For example, paying for my medication through insurance would have cost $9000 against my lifetime max of $20k (for ONE cycle). That doesn't even count the procedure or monitoring appts. Self pay was only $1600! Would have been great for the billing department to have presented these options to me upfront and show how everything is broken down. The only thing they gave me upfront was a piece of paper that showed total self pay for my cycle with nothing itemized.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Nam Tran at Spring Fertility San Francisco.
First cycle cost $13,049, 2nd cost $13,165, third cost $4,854 (was just medication and monitoring appts because it was cancelled). The first two costs are generally related to contracted rates between my insurance and Spring. A portion of that is out of pocket related to medication or certain procedures that are out of network. I expect the fourth cycle to be around $13k total.
Describe Nam Tran's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Spring Fertility San Francisco.
No comments. I am doing day 3 embryos because I have so few so we will be transferring 2.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Spring Fertility San Francisco.
Only one time did I confirm a day three baseline appointment over email with my coordinator and she forgot to schedule it. She told me I never responded but I can see via email I did. She quickly found another appointment for me though so it wasn't a big deal.

2020, Consult
So far, we've only had the opportunity to do a virtual consultation with Dr. Tran...He was punctual, and neutral in his discussions and assessment. Very informative, and fully explained his thoughts and suggested course of action. He is patient with answering questions, and does so confidently, with no fluff...If you're looking for a doctor who will be emotionally supportive, I'm not sure he's the best fit for you...
Spring came highly recommended from several friends...Super well organized, in-house embryologists, and seems to have high-tech approaches from what we've researched...quick to answer questions, and take the time to make sure you feel comfortable with what the next steps are....For our full bundle, the estimated costs are about $18,000 not including medication and bloodwork.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility San Francisco?
So far, we've only had the opportunity to do a virtual consultation with Dr. Tran and it went well. He asked us a few questions, and took the time to get familiar with information we had sent in earlier. We liked his no-nonsense straight to the point style. He is respectful, but direct, and lays out options in a very matter of fact way which we appreciated.
If you're looking for a doctor who will be emotionally supportive, I'm not sure he's the best fit for you, but we've also only had a consult and have not experienced working with him fully. However, if you appreciate getting right to it, I think he's the one!
Due to the COVID Shelter In Place, our consultations with Dr. Tran was done virtually. He was punctual, and neutral in his discussions and assessment. Very informative, and fully explained his thoughts and suggested course of action. He is patient with answering questions, and does so confidently, with no fluff.
I've recently had an HSG test done elsewhere and tubes are open, and both our counts for egg and sperm are better than average for our age, so Dr. Tran mentioned the possibility of the tubes perhaps not functioning (not the same as being open), potential poor egg quality, or potentially something on the male end. So we are going all in with a plan to start with a new panel of bloodwork, get genetic testing done for both of us, and then proceed with IVF, including ICSI, PGS/PGD, and potentially a Saline Sonogram somewhere in this.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility San Francisco. (Assigned nurse: Kassidy)
Our experience has been with Kassidy as the coordinator, and Ebony for the finances. The team there so far has been extremely on top of it! I love how organized they all are, and are quick to answer questions, and take the time to make sure you feel comfortable with what the next steps are.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility San Francisco.
Super well organized, in-house embryologists, and seems to have high-tech approaches from what we've researched. Spring came highly recommended from several friends, and even friends of friends, all of who provided their recommendations independently and saw success with Spring, and specifically with Dr. Tran.
The team there was super helpful in providing a breakdown of numbers and the various packages they have. For our full bundle, the estimated costs are about $18,000 not including medication and bloodwork.
n/a yet.
San Francisco

Dr. Klatsky is warm and meets each patient where they are. E.g., early on I wanted to leave most things up to him, but as we progressed I got more involved in the data. He is warm and compassionate, and has a quirky sense of humor...he will be candid and forthright...Mid-luteal cycle start for my second cycle as I responded poorly at the first retrieval...is kind, patient, and thorough...He followed up with me when the number of eggs retrieved at my first retrieval was not what we were expecting, with a commitment to figure out what was going on.
Spring is a nice clinic. I appreciate that it felt almost spa-like. For people with grueling work schedules, they are able to see you early morning (e.g., 7 am), and it runs like clockwork at that time. The receptionists are nice and remember your name/face. The early morning flexibility with appointments and the concierge-like service was the most important factor for me in choosing Spring vs. UCSF...Catherine is my patient coordinator, and she is absolutely wonderful in every way. I used to send long lists of questions at the beginning, and she never handled them with anything other than good cheer, a high degree of competence, and utter professionalism. I’m sure her case load must be high, but she is amazing at her job. I feel lucky to be working with her, given how on top of everything she is all the time.
How was your experience with Peter Klatsky at Spring Fertility San Francisco?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Peter Klatsky at Spring Fertility San Francisco?
Come armed with knowledge, or as you are - he will be candid and forthright.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Peter Klatsky at Spring Fertility San Francisco?
Dr. Klatsky is kind, patient, and thorough. He meets everyone where they are - e.g., if you just want the data/facts he’ll do that. But he also cares. He followed up with me when the number of eggs retrieved at my first retrieval was not what we were expecting, with a commitment to figure out what was going on.
Describe the protocols Peter Klatsky used in your cycles at Spring Fertility San Francisco and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility San Francisco. (Assigned nurse: Catherine Lange )
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility San Francisco.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Peter Klatsky at Spring Fertility San Francisco.
It’s all covered by my company’s insurance.
Describe Peter Klatsky's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Spring Fertility San Francisco.
N/A; haven’t transferred yet

2018 - 2020, Unsuccessful
5 Egg Freezing With Other Docs
Dr Minjarez is a great Dr, she is very understanding and friendly and you know she is rooting for you. She has an excellent bedside manner. Most of her feedback is data and statistically based, and sometimes I just wanted her gut are a heartfelt point of view. She has a wealth of knowledge and is willing to try new things and hear you out.
I think the strengths [of Spring Fertility] are that they will take on very challenging cases and that they have an excellent lab. They have an excellent staff of Dr but as they are growing their personal touch is being lost and the care can become inconsistant...I had really great nurses, but unfortunately, there was a lot of turn-over. I would have to re-explain my situation every time a new nurse was assigned to me.
How was your experience with Debra Minjarez at Spring Fertility San Francisco?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Debra Minjarez at Spring Fertility San Francisco?
Make sure you have a list of all your questions beforehand, she is very busy so you never know the next time you will have a one on one opportunity again. After that, there is a lot of going through nurses.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Debra Minjarez at Spring Fertility San Francisco?
In the beginning, I definitely felt more like a human, but as time went on, and the more treatment I got I felt I have to really push to be seen and heard. That they were too bust
Describe the protocols Debra Minjarez used in your cycles at Spring Fertility San Francisco and their degree of success.
Mini-stim due to diminished ovarian reserve. Hope to get high quality over quantity
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Spring Fertility San Francisco.
I had really great nurses, but unfortunately, there was a lot of turn-over. I would have to re-explain my situation every time a new nurse was assigned to me. However, everyone I worked with was very sympathetic and kind. They are extremely busy so you have to be persistent especially if you need meds quickly.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility San Francisco.
I think the strengths are that they will take on very challenging cases and that they have an excellent lab. They have an excellent staff of Dr but as they are growing their personal touch is being lost and the care can become inconsistant
Describe the costs associated with your care under Debra Minjarez at Spring Fertility San Francisco.
Costs were withing the same amount as other clinics, slightly more than a hospitol
Describe Debra Minjarez's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Spring Fertility San Francisco.
This is all based on your personal situation; your age, egg quality, egg reserve, your financial situation. She would never have a blanket approach to all patients
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Spring Fertility San Francisco.
I have had my financial information done incorrectly and was not given hard copy results of embryo quality once
San Francisco
Dr. Tran is highly skilled, and extremely involved/immersed in what's going on. He's laser focused on delivering results, and for that reason he's crazy busy. Make the most of your time with him and other doctors by having list of questions ready before every appointment, and get questions answered during your appointment. With regards to treatment, he can be stubborn about his viewpoint/methods. But as long as you can show him that you respect his expertise, stay relax and talk through your concerns, he is open to compromise and/or break from the normal protocol.
[Spring Fertility offered a] Package deal for 3 retreivals and 1 FET...The retrievals: 1st: 9 eggs/5 embryos 2nd: 14 eggs/5 embryos 3rd: 21 eggs/ 10 embryos * all embryos are day 3...Time is always very tight, albeit efficient, at Spring. You always feel that they are trying to get through as many people as possible, all the while staying on schedule. I was aware of this prior to starting treatment, but it was still tough to deal with and get used to
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility San Francisco?
As others have mentioned, Dr. Trans communication style is to keep things very short and to the point. Usually, I prefer this style, but through the confusing and daunting IVF process, Dr. Trans explanations are a bit too fast and simplistic for me. The lack of detail/explanation causes confusion, and makes me feel that he's ready to rush on to the next patient.
The clinic is super efficient, almost too much so. The nurses and coordinator would respond right away for any critical or appointment related questions. However, when it comes to questions requiring more detailed explanation, I've had them completely ignore my emails (waiting over 4days), until I called them directly about the question. Also, any questions for doctors outside of appointments go thru nurses. So they either end up answering them or you have to wait to get them to forward the question to the doctor. Outside of a scheduled appointment, I've never had the doctor respond directly via email or phone call to a question. This has caused frustration since many times I had questions where the nurses did not understand the nuance of what I was asking. Finally, their financing team has been terrible-- poor and confusing explanations of costs, and slow to respond.
3 retrievals followed by FET. Drugs: GonalF and menopur, Cetrotide, Leuprolide, and novarel. The retrievals: 1st: 9 eggs/5 embryos 2nd: 14 eggs/5 embryos 3rd: 21 eggs/ 10 embryos * all embryos are day 3
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility San Francisco.
The experience at Spring is very much in sync with the characteristics of its key founder --Dr. Nam Tran. Dr. Tran is highly skilled, and extremely involved/immersed in what's going on. Because of this, the clinic is in very high demand. The upside, is that you can feel confident that the Dr. Tran knows what he's doing and, to the best of his abilities, can deliver results. The down side of being a patient at Spring is sharing this high caliber group with lots of other folks. The clinic is growing, and there are bumps, and still lots of learning on their part. Time is always very tight, albeit efficient, at Spring. You always feel that they are trying to get through as many people as possible, all the while staying on schedule. I was aware of this prior to starting treatment, but it was still tough to deal with and get used to. Though, at times when I thought no was paying attention or didn't expect any response, key management of the team or Dr. Tran himself would get back to me on treatment (even while on extended vacation), or fixed problems right away (financial, staffing issues, etc). Being aware of this is important for anyone considering treatment at Spring. Be patient with their growth, and clearly express issues, via email or with directly with staff. They do address issues right away.
Package deal for 3 retreivals and 1 FET.
Due to my age and likely poor egg quality, Dr. Tran advises transferring multiple eggs (ie 5+ per transfer).
San Francisco

[Dr. Tran is] not afraid to think outside the box and try new things to get you the best result. His bedside manner can be a little blunt/robotic, but you can tell his way of showing he cares is giving 110% to get you pregnant...I have severe migraine with aura, and was told I could no longer safely have any estrogen-increasing drugs due to the risk of stroke. Tran crafted a new plan to manage my stroke risk...My estrogen actually went down during stims!
Strengths [of Spring Fertility] - very intelligent physicians, not tied down by protocol/they individualize treatment for everyone, state of the art embryology lab they designed from scratch, beautiful office space. Weaknesses- disorganized nursing staff who are difficult to get in touch with...During retrieval I kind of felt like a number, nurse communication was poor. It would take 48+ to get a response to an email, and it often wouldn't even answer my question. But when I had a miscarriage, they really stepped up to the plate and went above and beyond
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility San Francisco?
I'm a physician assistant so I've met a lot of physicians, I can honestly say Dr. Tran is the smartest physician I've ever met. He's an absolute genius, kind of the "mad scientist" type. He's not afraid to think outside the box and try new things to get you the best result. His bedside manner can be a little blunt/robotic, but you can tell his way of showing he cares is giving 110% to get you pregnant. I've had two other fertility doctors before him, but from now on I'm only trusting Tran!
His bedside manner comes off a little cold at first, his way of showing he cares is to go above and beyond trying new things to get you pregnant!
During retrieval I kind of felt like a number, nurse communication was poor. It would take 48+ to get a response to an email, and it often wouldn't even answer my question. But when I had a miscarriage, they really stepped up to the plate and went above and beyond. The nursing director personally called multiple times to check on me. The anesthesiologist worked late so I could be sedated during a D&C.
I had two cycles cancelled a different clinic before going to Tran. I have severe migraine with aura, and was told I could no longer safely have any estrogen-increasing drugs due to the risk of stroke. Tran crafted a new plan to manage my stroke risk- no birth control priming, start injections mid-cycle, and high dose letrozole during stimulation. My estrogen actually went down during stims! It worked great, no stroke and 11 blasts from one cycle (afc 12.)
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility San Francisco. (Assigned nurse: Onjira)
My nursing staff was terrible. It's the only bad thing about Spring. My nurse twice sent the wrong doses on medications (I'm do thankful I noticed) and forgot to tell me to take an antibiotic before retrieval. Emails would be answered within 48 hours less than 50% of the time, I'd have to follow up with multiple phone calls to get in touch. The one face to face meeting we had she was unable to answer basic questions about the retrieval process. I will say the nursing director, Heather, is very sweet and helped me during a miscarriage. She really went above and beyond, but the rest of the nurses I interacted with were so disappointing.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility San Francisco.
Strengths- very intelligent physicians, not tied down by protocol/they individualize treatment for everyone, state of the art embryology lab they designed from scratch, beautiful office space. Weaknesses- disorganized nursing staff who are difficult to get in touch with
An embryo freezing cycle was $13,500 pls meds, I think it went up $1,000 this year. A FET is about $4,750.
I am under 35 so an basically required to do eSET at Spring. I think after 3 failed transfers or over 35 they do multiple.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Spring Fertility San Francisco.
Twice my nurse entered the wrong stim dose into my calendar, and she forgot to tell me to take azithromycin before retrieval (forgot to call it in, too.)
San Francisco

[Dr. Tran] first assessed my case in the summer of 2019. He was the second doctor to assess me for IVF. I was 37, I am BRCA1 positive, and I was told I have a diminished ovarian reserve...was VERY good at explaining that I would need several rounds of IVF if I had a hope of freezing my eggs, what the costs of that would be, and how we might manage things going forward...can actually have the luxury of filtering our embryos for the deleterious BRCA1 gene mutation...Don't expect a warm bedside manner, but expect excellent results.
The clinic [Spring Fertility] is great, convenient location, relaxing atmosphere, answers are readily available, very modern facilities. All ultrasounds are visible to the patient. All appointments started & ended on time, it was easy to coordinate...EXTREMELY efficient and professional. They have great systems, my care was handled by people who were always aware of where I am in my treatment...Total costs for 3 rounds of IVF, genetic testing, egg freezing and one implantation were close to $60,000.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility San Francisco?
Dr. Tran first assessed my case in the summer of 2019. He was the second doctor to assess me for IVF. I was 37, I am BRCA1 positive, and I was told I have a diminished ovarian reserve. This was the conclusion at UCSF, which dr. Tran confirmed. Both dr. Tran and the other clinic were not optimistic about my chances of getting embryos, however, dr. Tran was VERY good at explaining that I would need several rounds of IVF if I had a hope of freezing my eggs, what the costs of that would be, and how we might manage things going forward. We decided to go ahead with one round of egg retrieval, and move forward depending on the result. Unbelievably enough, the first round was successful beyond all our plans & expectations, with 12 eggs retrieved during the first cycle alone. We understood that we are in a whole different ballgame, and given that there is no problem harvesting my eggs, we can actually have the luxury of filtering our embryos for the deleterious BRCA1 gene mutation. This result is life changing. We went ahead with further two rounds of egg retrieval and embryo freezing. We managed to get enough eggs to produce 10 day 6 blastocysts. Out of those, 5 were free of BRCA1. Hooray! We went ahead and implanted our first embryo 2 months ago. Knock on wood, things went very well. I am 38, and this is my first pregnancy. I am over the moon! The result speaks for itself. The experience, though by no means physically pleasant, was as efficient, easy and painless as it could possibly be. There was no time when I didn't know what the next step was. All decisions were pretty clear, at each fork in the road, I knew what my options were. The clinic was easy to reach. They were always on top of things, nobody was ever confused (clearly they have a great system of patient records). All appointments were fast and on time. I am really really pleased with how things went, would recommend Dr. Tran to my best friend 100 times, if they ever had trouble conceiving.
Don't expect a warm bedside manner, but expect excellent results.
I felt that the clinic was EXTREMELY efficient and professional. They have great systems, my care was handled by people who were always aware of where I am in my treatment, and what the next steps were, I was never in the dark. Dr. Tran doesn't have the warmest manner, but that was a minor factor, given how well my care was handled.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility San Francisco. (Assigned nurse: Onjira Dharmasukrit)
Onjira was excellent, easy to reach, had the correct answers, was always on top of things. Great nurse to work with. 100% recommend.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility San Francisco.
The clinic is great, convenient location, relaxing atmosphere, answers are readily available, very modern facilities. All ultrasounds are visible to the patient. All appointments started & ended on time, it was easy to coordinate.
Total costs for 3 rounds of IVF, genetic testing, egg freezing and one implantation were close to $60,000. Nothing was covered by insurance.

LGBTQ+
I had failed multiple IUI cycles elsewhere already. Based on my ethnicity and a combination of PCOS and unexplained infertility, and with some other considerations (like limited sperm vials to work with) I was recommended [by Dr. Nam Tran] an antagonist protocol for a freeze-all cycle and FET. We opted for PGS just because we could. We ended up having to adjust medications downwards because I was responding too well. Got more of everything than estimated - eggs, fertilized #, day 3, day 5/6. FET was a letrozole-assisted cycle and succeeded on the first try...He had a VERY, very, very, very strong preference for eSET due to my age and PGS-tested AA grade embryos.
I had nothing but excellent experiences with all the nursing staff [at Spring Fertility]. Every question I had was answered, even at 9pm at night, and all communications were timely...18k for stimulation/retrieval including icsi and pgs. around 4k for medications. 4500-5000 for FET. then $950 for saline sono and $450 for the last appointment to confirm pregnancy before graduating to my regular OB...I think the clinic is pretty great and their doctors, embryologists, and nursing staff are top notch. I also had no issues with billing or with any other clinic interactions. Spring was also one of the only Bay Area clinics that weren't transphobic and queerphobic, and that counted for a lot for us.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility San Francisco?
I absolutely loved Dr. Tran. He was super straightforward, answered all my questions and beyond, and performed all procedures skillfully. He was also very respectful of me and my partner at every opportunity. It is a pretty rare situation that I leave a serious conversation with a doctor feeling pretty good about everything - even if the answer isn't necessarily what i wanted - but somehow he managed to make that happen.
I spend a lot of my time dealing with healthcare advocacy for others, so Dr. Tran's bluntness was a big positive. But if that's not working for you, I would highly recommend Dr. Harris, who I think was my favorite for bedside manner out of all the doctors at Spring that I saw in brief.
The attention to detail and the way everyone communicated with me felt very personalized. Everything from consideration of names and pronouns, to timely updates.
I had failed multiple IUI cycles elsewhere already. Based on my ethnicity and a combination of PCOS and unexplained infertility, and with some other considerations (like limited sperm vials to work with) I was recommended an antagonist protocol for a freeze-all cycle and FET. We opted for PGS just because we could. We ended up having to adjust medications downwards because I was responding too well. Got more of everything than estimated - eggs, fertilized #, day 3, day 5/6. FET was a letrozole-assisted cycle and succeeded on the first try.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility San Francisco. (Assigned nurse: Yvette Perez)
I had nothing but excellent experiences with all the nursing staff. Every question I had was answered, even at 9pm at night, and all communications were timely.
San Francisco

[Dr. Nam Tran is] not going to waste your time with un-substantiated rabbit holes...The one key decision, which was different from my past (unsuccessful) transfers with my 1st doctor: unmedicated transfer cycle, using my own body's natural cycle to guide transfer timing. I believe that made all the difference in my outcome! That meant that the stuff I had to do before my other (unsuccessful) transfers - endometrial scratch, ERA testing, daily injections with progesterone treatments - were not necessary...made a last-second decision to do ICSI with one of our retrievals. He clarified why and I'm fine with the rationale, but would have liked to know in advance.
[Spring Fertility has a] Concierge feel. Beautiful facilities, incredible medical team. I loved being able to work with Dr. Klatsky and Dr. Harris when Dr. Tran was out of the office. Both are incredible doctors. The surgery nurse is stellar...My experiences with the entire team were incredibly positive with the exception of Yvette. While she was very competent, her demeanor was lacking in compassion. Her delivery of our - positive!!! - pregnancy blood test results sounded like she was telling me my puppy died. TWICE...The one key decision, which was different from my past (unsuccessful) transfers with my 1st doctor: unmedicated transfer cycle, using my own body's natural cycle to guide transfer timing. I believe that made all the difference in my outcome! That meant that the stuff I had to do before my other (unsuccessful) transfers - endometrial scratch, ERA testing, daily injections with progesterone treatments - were not necessary.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility San Francisco?
The proof is in the pudding. I'm a 42-year old woman, using my own eggs and husband's sperm, and am currently 20-weeks pregnant after a single embryo transfer! Dr. Tran is matter-of-fact and VERY data-based meaning he doesn't waste time with frivolous treatment without proven efficacy. After two failed transfers in LA, my doctor there had me going down rabbit holes. Not so with Dr. Tran! He reads all of the studies so you don't have to. At the same time Dr. Tran really, really cares about your outcomes. I have video of Dr. Tran in our first ultrasound, grinning from ear-to-ear. As we're all first laying eyes on our baby to be, Dr. Tran is ecstatically exclaiming "you've got a one good one!"
Don't be afraid to ask questions and be open to data-based answers. Like I said, he's not going to waste your time with un-substantiated rabbit holes.
1. Dr. Tran REALLY cares--I have a photo of him grinning from ear to ear as he is conducting my first ultrasound post-transfer, confirming our pregnancy! 2. The entire team converses with you in calming, collegial, layman's terms. 3. Every time I walked into the clinic, I was greeted with my name (without looking at the chart). 4. The demeanor of doctors, nurses, and staff, along with the physical setup of the office, are all very peaceful (i.e., designed with the human being in mind).
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility San Francisco. (Assigned nurse: Yvette)
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility San Francisco.
We chose eSET because of my risk factors: age and two previous ectopic pregnancies. That was absolutely the right thought process and decision!
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Spring Fertility San Francisco.
Dr. Tran made a last-second decision to do ICSI with one of our retrievals. He clarified why and I'm fine with the rationale, but would have liked to know in advance.
San Francisco

Dr. Tran is an intelligent, competent doctor, but there's a lack of emotional IQ to balance his intellectual IQ. ... I found Dr. Tran to be very conservative in his approach vs. other docs, which may be due to his background at UCSF (teaching hospital). He will not perform an ERA, or other new procedures, unless they have tons of data back them up. He won't order blood-tests or recommend aggressive treatments unless absolutely necessary.
pring is busy....really busy. They need more docs for the amount of patients they take on. It's easy to get lost in the cracks here...and there are a lot of cracks. What I love the most about Spring is the lab facility. It's a reason in itself to come here for treatment. I just wish their doctors, and care team were also part of that reason too! ... Unfilled medications, procedures rescheduled last minute, billing issues, lack of communication, etc. You have to stay on top of your care team, medications and billing - just be prepared!
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility San Francisco?
Dr. Tran is an intelligent, competent doctor, but there's a lack of emotional IQ to balance his intellectual IQ. Infertility is an emotional journey, and we look to our doctors for support. Many times during my care I felt like he didn't have enough capacity for me, and he was taking on too many patients. In the worst of times, I felt abandoned by him as my doctor. He is present at appointments, but his time is rushed. Appointments have become difficult to schedule due to his split time between Redwood City and SF offices, and I have even had major procedures rescheduled last minute to accommodate his busy schedule.
Get to know your nurse, because Dr. Tran will not be available to you beyond your appointments. Be direct in your questions. Don't let yourself get rushed, or brushed off - speak up for yourself. You may need to ask questions multiple times to get the answer you need. Find a good therapist to help with the emotional stuff - you will need it.
Dr. Tran is smart, but we've been disappointed in his bedside care. As long as appointments and/or procedures go as planned, he is a fine, friendly doc. But when things get complicated (as they often do with IVF), he seems to lack patience, and is reluctant to verbalize his reasoning for making treatment decisions. We had a heart wrenching complication during our cycle, and Dr. Tran never went out of his way to check in on us. The only time we ever heard from him was during scheduled appointments, which were always rushed. If that's not being treated like a number, I don't know what is.
I found Dr. Tran to be very conservative in his approach vs. other docs, which may be due to his background at UCSF (teaching hospital). He will not perform an ERA, or other new procedures, unless they have tons of data back them up. He won't order blood-tests or recommend aggressive treatments unless absolutely necessary. He isn't super proactive - which may be partially due to his lack of time. If you're looking for a doc that will be extremely thorough, and give you all the bells and whistles, he many not be the doc for you.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility San Francisco. (Assigned nurse: Laurel)
We never met our nurse and care coordinator in person, so it always felt detached, but overall kept decent rapport. Unfortunately we had several missteps with medications, treatment calendar information, etc. which caused some lost trust. Since the doctors are inaccessible beyond appointment hours, questions around treatment, etc. had to go through the nurse, which can get frustrating. Nursing staff at the clinic seems inexperienced overall, but there are some great gems if you can find them/get their time.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility San Francisco.
Spring is busy....really busy. They need more docs for the amount of patients they take on. It's easy to get lost in the cracks here...and there are a lot of cracks. What I love the most about Spring is the lab facility. It's a reason in itself to come here for treatment. I just wish their doctors, and care team were also part of that reason too!
We had some insurance coverage, but about $46-50k for retrieval, $6k for transfer, $800 for meds
I wasn't given an option - single embryo transfers only
San Francisco

Be prepared with a list of questions to get the most out of your visits with Dr. Tran. We had most of our monitoring visits with him personally, but they're routine in nature and quick,...the whole reason we did IVF was the genetic test at D5/6 so we can minimize the risk miscarriage. The mid-luteal protocol didn't allow for a Day 3 transfer...He is strong with the numbers and the science behind this, which was important to my spouse particularly, but also showed great understanding and willingness to listen and consider not only new information but our desires about the ivf cycle we were undergoing as well as next steps. His team of nurses was phenomenal - accessible, understanding and compassionate.
team of nurses [at Spring Fertility] was phenomenal - accessible, understanding and compassionate...Dealing with the billing department at Spring was the most stressful and painful experience, an unwelcome one too given how taxing the IVF process already is. Inquires required multiple follow-ups before Spring would respond (sometimes 2-3 weeks later)...This is a boutique practice. The clinic was conveniently located for us, and they have other locations in the Bay Area. They seem to be growing and adding new doctors, but I never felt that I have to wait to get an appointment or even wait during an appointment for more than 5 minutes. They'd get me out on time as well, so there was minimal interruption to my work day. The online portal is good, but most importantly they respond and follow-up promptly.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility San Francisco?
What I mostly appreciated about Dr. Tran was his willingness to listen and adjust the treatment as new information came in and we wanted a change in direction. I think there's a lot of ego in this field and his flexibility was refreshing. He is very keep on the mid-luteal protocol. At the beginning he was reluctant to share what approach he'd take, stating that he doesn't care what the protocol is called, but whether it is appropriate for us, but ultimately took the approach he seems to be known for. We experienced a setback with unusually high drop in embryos in the lab (b/n D3 and D5/6). He was upfront about how unexpected that result was and presented a solution, without throwing the stats based on my age in my face, which I appreciated. Ultimately, we didn't get to an embryo transfer with him. He very candidly shared his opinion that our embryos had a better chance in my uterus, which is what we came to realize, and showed that he had our interest at heart. This is not where the clinic makes money, so he won my full trust with this recommendation.
Be prepared with a list of questions to get the most out of your visits with Dr. Tran. We had most of our monitoring visits with him personally, but they're routine in nature and quick, so I found myself following up with the nurses with follow-up questions I didn't get to or didn't think of during the visits.
Dr. Tran showed interest in and concern about our individual journey to parenthood. He is strong with the numbers and the science behind this, which was important to my spouse particularly, but also showed great understanding and willingness to listen and consider not only new information but our desires about the ivf cycle we were undergoing as well as next steps. His team of nurses was phenomenal - accessible, understanding and compassionate.
We had to IVF cycles with mid-luteal protocol, with moderate to low doses. I had 8-9 follicles at baseline, and given that there wasn't much potential beyond that, it was important for me to not get overly medicated (some other fertility doctors we consulted with in our research mentioned "aggressive" protocol, which was a big turnoff). Dr. Tran took a moderate approach and adjusted down given my good response in the first cycle. The meds were 225 IU Gonal-F and 150 IU Menopur. Great response initially - of 8 follicles we retrieved 8 mature eggs, 7 fertilized with ICSI. Second time less so - of 9 follicles, we retrieved 4 and only 2 mature eggs which were fertilized. "0" embryos at Day 5/6, however, and the whole reason we did IVF was the genetic test at D5/6 so we can minimize the risk miscarriage. The mid-luteal protocol didn't allow for a Day 3 transfer. Seems like our embryos can't make it beyond that in lab environment.
My IVF nurse was phenomenal - responsive, knowledgeable, caring - just on top of her game in every sense. Yvette was super helpful and patient with all my questions, and they were many as I kept reading and educating myself. Same goes for my coordinator Nichakorn.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility San Francisco.
I definitely felt that I was getting personal care. This is a boutique practice. The clinic was conveniently located for us, and they have other locations in the Bay Area. They seem to be growing and adding new doctors, but I never felt that I have to wait to get an appointment or even wait during an appointment for more than 5 minutes. They'd get me out on time as well, so there was minimal interruption to my work day. The online portal is good, but most importantly they respond and follow-up promptly.
We went through insurance as we had some coverage (with a lifetime max). Still unsure of the total out-of-pocket costs for either cycle due to the messy billing. Dealing with the billing department at Spring was the most stressful and painful experience, an unwelcome one too given how taxing the IVF process already is. Inquires required multiple follow-ups before Spring would respond (sometimes 2-3 weeks later). They simple didn't address/ignored some direct questions. Last but not least, they said they'd do the billing in a certain way for our second cycle, but didn't do so despite the agreement we had reached on that. Super frustrating experience, and I am still entangled in this two months after treatment.
eSET was the considered approach but we didn't have a single embryo for transfer.
San Francisco

We did an IUI cycle with letrozole and trigger shot [with Dr. Peter Klatsky]. I asked for letrozole over clomid because I had researched that it had fewer side effects...We’ve decided to start with 3 cycles of IUI and if need be go to IVF next. He was very warm and optimistic at all my ultrasounds and I didn’t feel rushed...he’s to the point but not dry. He’s optimistic but also realistic. We went in with unexplained infertility, he explained in detail both the IUI and IVF procedures.
My care coordinator Kelsey [at Spring Fertility] is fantastic! She’s always prompt in responding to my emails and helped me check off everything I needed to get done prior to starting out IUI cycle. I really like working with her. While she was gone on vacation, I still felt very taken care of by the other staff at Spring...Each IUI is about $1600. Letrozole and trigger shot about $100ish...Clean and modern facility. You get access to the Spring portal online that has everything you need for your cycle which is great. I’d get texts a few hours before I had to take my pills as a reminder and to check to make sure I had the correct dosage. The staff are all very friendly.
How was your experience with Peter Klatsky at Spring Fertility San Francisco?
Dr. Klatsky is optimistic but also realistic. He’ll explain everything in detail if you ask him to. I came prepared with a list of questions at the consultation and he answered all of them with patience. My ultrasound appointments were smooth, I appreciated his positivity.
Come prepared with questions! You’re your own advocate.
I really like Dr. Klatsky, he’s to the point but not dry. He’s optimistic but also realistic. We went in with unexplained infertility, he explained in detail both the IUI and IVF procedures. We’ve decided to start with 3 cycles of IUI and if need be go to IVF next. He was very warm and optimistic at all my ultrasounds and I didn’t feel rushed. If you have questions, don’t hesitate to ask, in fact I recommend to always come with questions and he’ll answer them for you.
We did an IUI cycle with letrozole and trigger shot. I asked for letrozole over clomid because I had researched that it had fewer side effects.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility San Francisco. (Assigned nurse: Kelsey)
My care coordinator Kelsey is fantastic! She’s always prompt in responding to my emails and helped me check off everything I needed to get done prior to starting out IUI cycle. I really like working with her. While she was gone on vacation, I still felt very taken care of by the other staff at Spring.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility San Francisco.
Each IUI is about $1600. Letrozole and trigger shot about $100ish.
San Francisco

Dr. Minjarez has a strong preference on eSET, due to all of the risks for mom and babies if there are multiples...reviewed my specific health history with me, and then went over the potential problems, how to resolve those, and how to move forward. It was very personalized to my specific fertility challenges...clearly cares about her patients. She takes the time to hear about your fertility journey in your own words, but has also clearly taken the time to review the information you provide in your intake forms. I think she takes all steps necessary to achieve pregnancy.
I have visited the Oakland and San Francisco clinics [of Spring Fertility]. They are both great. Easy to get to & park near. Inviting, clean environment that always smells good. Friendly staff. Rarely a wait time beyond your scheduled appointment...I had a saline sonogram to look for scarring in the uterus. Then had a hysteroscopy to remove the scarring...The communication preference seems to be email, which is fine but if there is a back and forth going, sometimes a phone call makes more sense.
How was your experience with Debra Minjarez at Spring Fertility San Francisco?
Dr. Minjarez clearly cares about her patients. She takes the time to hear about your fertility journey in your own words, but has also clearly taken the time to review the information you provide in your intake forms. I think she takes all steps necessary to achieve pregnancy.
Ask questions. And ask what she would ask if she were in your shoes. Know that the fertility journey is not linear.
Dr. Minjarez reviewed my specific health history with me, and then went over the potential problems, how to resolve those, and how to move forward. It was very personalized to my specific fertility challenges.
I had a saline sonogram to look for scarring in the uterus. Then had a hysteroscopy to remove the scarring. And now am on estrogen, and then will the provera toward the end of the estrogen.
The communication preference seems to be email, which is fine but if there is a back and forth going, sometimes a phone call makes more sense. They are prompt with responses, but I did have to sometimes dig for information or ask questions about things that I thought should have been readily available information, like prescriptions needed following a surgery and what purpose the medication served.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility San Francisco.
I have visited the Oakland and San Francisco clinics. They are both great. Easy to get to & park near. Inviting, clean environment that always smells good. Friendly staff. Rarely a wait time beyond your scheduled appointment.
Saline sonogram was around $700. Hysteroscopy with anesthesia was around $3500. Initial office consult was around $350.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Spring Fertility San Francisco.
I had a hysteroscopy and the Dr who did the surgery, and Dr Minjarez gave me specific information about the drugs I was to take and the timing of the drugs. Then when the nurse called for follow up she had the information down differently. But she did call back with the correct information.
San Francisco

Appointments [with Dr. Minjarez] can be brief, but her team is always very responsive via email if things come up afterward...caring and kind. Even during short visits, I feel like Dr. Minjarez is very present and attentive to me and my partner...took time to thoroughly explain different parts of the process and answer any of our questions. We've had some delays getting started, and she's been helpful and responsive. She does a good job of balancing clear, direct communication with kindness and the feeling like she's rooting for us.
she [nurse at Spring Fertility] taught an injectable medications class that was very helpful. Our patient navigator and the team have been very helpful, promptly answering all of our questions and providing clear, detailed instructions...saline sonogram: $950...ovarian stimulation and monitoring, retrieval of oocytes, embryology lab services (including ICSI, PGS/PGD): $18,375...This facility transfers only one embryo at a time...when vetting labs we asked for Spring's stats, measuring against Fertility IQ's standards for lab quality, and they passed with flying colors.
How was your experience with Debra Minjarez at Spring Fertility San Francisco?
Dr. Minjarez took time to thoroughly explain different parts of the process and answer any of our questions. We've had some delays getting started, and she's been helpful and responsive. She does a good job of balancing clear, direct communication with kindness and the feeling like she's rooting for us.
Make sure you think through your questions ahead of time -- it really benefit us to have done our research so we could make the most of our time with Dr. Minjarez. Appointments can be brief, but her team is always very responsive via email if things come up afterward.
Dr. Minjarez and her staff are caring and kind. Even during short visits, I feel like Dr. Minjarez is very present and attentive to me and my partner.
We haven't started stimulation yet, because my follicles weren't ready. But the plan is to stimulate with FSH and Menopur.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility San Francisco. (Assigned nurse: Flo)
We haven't worked a lot with our nurse yet -- she taught an injectable medications class that was very helpful. Our patient navigator and the team have been very helpful, promptly answering all of our questions and providing clear, detailed instructions.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility San Francisco.
It's hard to say right now because we're at the very beginning of the process, but when vetting labs we asked for Spring's stats, measuring against Fertility IQ's standards for lab quality, and they passed with flying colors.
saline sonogram: $950 ovarian stimulation and monitoring, retrieval of oocytes, embryology lab services (including ICSI, PGS/PGD): $18,375 medication package: $4,400 future frozen embryo transfer (monitoring + thawing, transfer): $5,250 embryo cryopreservation after 6 months: $650
This facility transfers only one embryo at a time.
San Francisco

Dr. Harris has a warm demeanor and is really invested in success for his patients...At the beginning there was some miscommunication, but when I expressed my concern Dr. Harris was apologetic and made up for the initial misunderstanding...He was always sure to ask at each visit how things are going, whether you have experienced any side effects, etc...is openly optimistic and enthusiastic, and the result is that you can get swept into the optimism and expect more from your treatment than it can realistically deliver.
Strengths [at Spring Fertility]: - great staff - clear communication - transparent - very clean Weaknesses: - they use a surgical center that is out of network for all insurance - some procedures can only be done at the SF office so if you are going to the RWC office expect to have to go downtown occasionally...She [nurse] was warm, friendly, and followed up quickly when I had questions. Her e-mails with the course of treatment were always detailed and clear.
How was your experience with Isiah Harris at Spring Fertility San Francisco?
At the beginning there was some miscommunication, but when I expressed my concern Dr. Harris was apologetic and made up for the initial misunderstanding. He truly wants to see his patients succeed and does what he can to that end. He was always sure to ask at each visit how things are going, whether you have experienced any side effects, etc. He explains the options clearly, and is thorough in describing the treatment plan.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Isiah Harris at Spring Fertility San Francisco?
Dr. Harris is openly optimistic and enthusiastic, and the result is that you can get swept into the optimism and expect more from your treatment than it can realistically deliver. The result is that a failure can hit harder than it might have otherwise. I'm ultimately happy with our choice of doctor, but just be realistic with yourself,
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Isiah Harris at Spring Fertility San Francisco?
Describe the protocols Isiah Harris used in your cycles at Spring Fertility San Francisco and their degree of success.
We used Clomid with an Ovidrel trigger shot followed by IUI three times. We have just started our first IVF cycle with Dr. Harris. Given our severe male factor infertility, he originally suggested we skip IUI and go directly to IVF, but that was not financially feasible for us at the time so we attempted IUI anyway despite the probable negative outcome. The first IUI cycle I had some spotting pre-period, which is unusual for me, and a positive pregnancy test long after the Ovidrel should have dissipated so we suspect the possibility of a chemical pregnancy. Dr. Harris was thorough with his description of the different approaches we could take with IVF and explained clearly why he felt the approach we went with was best for us. We're using birth control for 2 weeks followed by injectables for egg retrieval at the end of the month.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility San Francisco. (Assigned nurse: Michelle Chicas)
She was warm, friendly, and followed up quickly when I had questions. Her e-mails with the course of treatment were always detailed and clear.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility San Francisco.
Strengths: - great staff - clear communication - transparent - very clean Weaknesses: - they use a surgical center that is out of network for all insurance - some procedures can only be done at the SF office so if you are going to the RWC office expect to have to go downtown occasionally
Describe the costs associated with your care under Isiah Harris at Spring Fertility San Francisco.
The self-pay cost for IUI is $1600 and it's $18,375 for IVF. With insurance, we paid ~$600 for the first two IUI cycles and nothing for the second as we'd hit our max out of pocket. IVF is going to cost around $3000 and most of that is the out-of-network surgical center. I don't yet know what additional there will be on top of that for the genetic testing, anesthesiologist, etc.
Describe Isiah Harris's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Spring Fertility San Francisco.
We didn't discuss this as I had decided in advance that I wanted to do single embryo transfer.
Isiah Harris
San Francisco

I am early 30s with good stats, and his strategy was 3 unmedicated IUIs, then (if no pregnancy) 3 medicated IUIs, then potentially move on to IVF. ... now that I have had 3 unsuccessful IUIs, Dr. Tran thinks I should do one before beginning the more involved and expensive process of medicated IUIs. ... I have only ever seen Dr. Tram in person once, at my initial consult. ...
Strengths: friendly, easy to make appointments, knowledgeable staff [Spring Fertility] Weaknesses: billing can sometimes lag. Sometimes I will be asked to pay for a procedure the day I come in (my insurance doesn’t cover anything fertility related) whereas other times they would not charge me day of, and instead I would get hit with several appointments worth of charges a couple months later.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility San Francisco?
I have only ever seen Dr. Tram in person once, at my initial consult. My IUIs were done by different doctors, and all other information has been conveyed through nurses and my patient coordinator. However I feel like I’m getting the care I need, and if I move on to IVF, I believe I will see him more.
His primary focus is IVF, so if you are starting with IUI, you might not see him for many of your appointments. However he will still be involved in your care, and it’s easy to get answers to questions via your patient coordinator.
Along with the doctors and nurses, I was assigned a “patient coordinator” who is available to answer all my questions. Being able to go through this one person who knows me and my treatment history makes me feel much more connected to my treatment. It makes t easier to ask questions, so I understand more of what is going on. And everyone is always very responsive and friendly.
I am early 30s with good stats, and his strategy was 3 unmedicated IUIs, then (if no pregnancy) 3 medicated IUIs, then potentially move on to IVF. I have had three unsuccessful IUIs. I am now going to have an HSG test. I elected not to have one before beginning initial treatment, but now that I have had 3 unsuccessful IUIs, Dr. Tran thinks I should do one before beginning the more involved and expensive process of medicated IUIs. Depending on the results of the HSG test, I will either move on to the planned medicated cycles, or look at IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility San Francisco. (Assigned nurse: Brittany Delacruz)
Great! Very responsive and quick to answer questions. Also very warm and friendly.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility San Francisco.
Strengths: friendly, easy to make appointments, knowledgeable staff Weaknesses: billing can sometimes lag. Sometimes I will be asked to pay for a procedure the day I come in (my insurance doesn’t cover anything fertility related) whereas other times they would not charge me day of, and instead I would get hit with several appointments worth of charges a couple months later.
Monitoring ultrasounds—$400 IUI— Around $800

2017 - 2019, Successful
Dr. Tran has always been very honest and straightforward which I greatly appreciate. He is very accurate in his assessments and his protocol is always adjusted and designed to fit my individual needs. ... He is straightforward and sets realistic expectations which is exactly what you need in this process so you are not giving an unrealistic sense of hope; with this approach it can lack a little bit of warmth in his messages but in the end you leave his office with a real sense of understanding for the future.
The clinic [Spring Fertility] is professional and innovative; their results speak for themselves. However, with the rapid growth of the clinic they have lost some of the personal care and precise communication / organization that they had when the clinic first opened. ... I have worked with Laurel Maley and Allie Bell over the last several years and both of them were absolutely amazing and made a very stressful process smooth and bearable. They are knowledge, kind, responsive and effective in communicating / answering all the million of questions you have along the way.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility San Francisco?
From a scientific and IVF protocol I completely trust Dr. Tran and his decisions. He is very accurate in his assessments and his protocol is always adjusted and designed to fit my individual needs. He is straightforward and sets realistic expectations which is exactly what you need in this process so you are not giving an unrealistic sense of hope; with this approach it can lack a little bit of warmth in his messages but in the end you leave his office with a real sense of understanding for the future.
Be patient with the process and trust Dr. Trans decisions as he shares the same desired outcome.
I have been a patient of Dr. Tran from the beginning of the clinic's opening and as they have grown the level of individual attention to detail is slightly diminished. However, Dr. Tran has always been very honest and straightforward which I greatly appreciate. He is very accurate in his assessments and his protocol is always adjusted and designed to fit my individual needs.
I did two retrievals using Lupron, Gonal-F, Menopur, Cetrotide and Novarel. Both retrievals resulted in a desirable amount of eggs; my particular problem is in growing the embryos to day 5. The number of embroys drastically dropped during this time. First retrieval results in 2 embryos that both came back normal after genetic testing. The second retrieval resulted in 1 embryo that came back abnormal. I then did a FET immediately following the second retrieval that resulted in a healthy pregnancy. I did a second transfer Sept 2019 with the remaining embryo from first retrieval that did not result in a pregnancy. I am currently undergoing preparation for another retrieval.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility San Francisco. (Assigned nurse: Laurel Maley)
I have worked with Laurel Maley and Allie Bell over the last several years and both of them were absolutely amazing and made a very stressful process smooth and bearable. They are knowledge, kind, responsive and effective in communicating / answering all the million of questions you have along the way. They are thoughtful and compassionate; everything you would want in the person who is your primary contact during this process! There are some nursing staff that need to avoid speaking to you about your case when they don't know all the specifics; best to avoid communicating information that could lead to confusion.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility San Francisco.
The clinic is professional and innovative; their results speak for themselves. However, with the rapid growth of the clinic they have lost some of the personal care and precise communication / organization that they had when the clinic first opened.
The first two retrievals and transfer were covered by insurance. Second transfer was around $6,000 and current retrieval will be around $25,000
I agree with Dr. Tran's approach of eSET as I highly risk adverse to having multiple babies at my age.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Spring Fertility San Francisco.
There was one instance when a nurse that I worked with briefly sent me conflicting information related to my protocol; however, after calling the clinic directly my questions and concerns were immediately addressed.

2017 - 2019, Unsuccessful
If a doctor with a really good bedside manner is important to you, chose one of the other doctors at this clinic. Dr. Tran can be a little "cold", but that was not something that bothered me...I trusted that he was well educated and believe that he made decision in our treatment that he thought would result in the best outcome. I felt that he set our expectations for success once we moved on to IVF too high. Sometimes I would have to push him to make changes to my course of treatment after multiple failures because he did not believe changes were needed. I'm not a fan doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome.
Appointments were almost always on time [at Spring Fertility] which made me feel like they valued my time. Nursing staff and front desk staff were very nice. Billing staff communication was hit-or-miss...Most of the nursing staff seemed to really care about the outcome of my treatment and showed a lot of empathy when things didn't work out. The front desk staff always greeted me by name...There were two miscommunications in the first 6 months of treatment that had me questioning whether I should continue treatment at this clinic, but after that everything was good. On our first IUI cycle, no one told us that my husband needed certain bloodwork before the IUI and they ended up having to push my IUI back a few days to give time to get his results back. There was another time when I was supposed to take a medication that noone told me about. I received a text reminder to take the medicine and that is how I found out about it and had to ask for a prescription. After we moved on to IVF, the communication was great and we didn't have any problems. The staff were always very responsive to questions over phone and email.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility San Francisco.
Appointments were almost always on time which made me feel like they valued my time. Nursing staff and front desk staff were very nice. Billing staff communication was hit-or-miss. I was told by my Gyn that this clinic was the best choice if you are looking for the most cutting edge fertility treatment.
IUI cycle - $1,500 plus cost of meds IVF retrieval + PGS - $17,500 plus cost of meds Frozene Embryo Transfer - $4,500 plus cost of meds
Dr. Tran was very adamant about not transferring more than one embryo.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Spring Fertility San Francisco.
Issues were described under the nursing staff section
San Francisco

[Dr. Nam Tran is] Creative yet evidence-based and doesn’t recommend a bunch of things you don’t need. He is a scientist and straightforward but compassionate, and has some good deadpan humor! He does explain things quickly so write down and bring your questions and don’t hesitate to send up a follow up question. I most appreciate that Dr. Tran is willing to keep working with poor prognosis patients—some clinics want to move on to donor eggs to boost their numbers but not the case here. We were initially devastated after our first two cycles led to no transferable embryos likely due to poor egg quality and me being a poor responder to meds. At that point he recommended proceeding with minimal stimulation ivf which worked really well for us and ended up giving us a better blast yield per cycle and ultimately leading to success for us. Not all clinics do mini IVF so I was grateful Spring offers this as other clinics would have either proceeded with full stim (high expense for low yield) or pushed donor eggs.
Spring Fertility really focuses on the patient experience-everyone is very responsive, they have a lot of nice touches...they pay attention to the little things. The protocols are tailored to individuals not just an algorithm...We had one instance where we had to call back and clarify a miscommunication about an embryo report. However literally every other communication (probably more than 100 contacts between appointments, emails, and phone calls) was timely and accurate.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility San Francisco?
Dr. Tran is seriously smart and on the cutting edge. Creative yet evidence-based and doesn’t recommend a bunch of things you don’t need. He is a scientist and straightforward but compassionate, and has some good deadpan humor! He does explain things quickly so write down and bring your questions and don’t hesitate to send up a follow up question. I most appreciate that Dr. Tran is willing to keep working with poor prognosis patients—some clinics want to move on to donor eggs to boost their numbers but not the case here. We were initially devastated after our first two cycles led to no transferable embryos likely due to poor egg quality and me being a poor responder to meds. At that point he recommended proceeding with minimal stimulation ivf which worked really well for us and ended up giving us a better blast yield per cycle and ultimately leading to success for us. Not all clinics do mini IVF so I was grateful Spring offers this as other clinics would have either proceeded with full stim (high expense for low yield) or pushed donor eggs.
Write down your questions and don’t hesitate to send the team a follow up question!
1 letrozole flare 1 mid-luteal start 3 mini IVF with clomid and gonalF/menopur
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility San Francisco.
This clinic prioritizes the patient experience and does all the touches right. We had so many visits there over our time and really appreciated their organization, timeliness, and attention to all the little things.
Pricing is transparent and up front. Comparable to other clinics in the area. Mini IVF cycles can be packaged which makes the cost about 50% of a regular IVF cycle
They recommend eSET for PGS tested
San Francisco

I cannot say enough good things about Dr Tran and our treatment is still going... He did all of my ultrasounds, he was supportive and thorough and is clearly a leader in his field...Dr. Tran is an unbelievably smart, thoughtful and experienced fertility doctor who I trusted 100%... Dr Tran has said from the very beginning I will only be transferring one embryo. ..He clearly loves what he does and was always willing to answer my questions or concerns in a very direct way....
I love love love the clinic [Spring Fertility]. The opening hours and location were the biggest plus for me. I had all of my appointments around 7am so never missed time off of work, the location is central SF and has easy parking, though you have to pay for it. The office is a good size with lots of rooms for ultrasounds and the lab is amazing. When you are about to have your egg retrieval you can see the embryologists at work and it makes it all so real.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility San Francisco?
I cannot say enough good things about Dr Tran and our treatment is still going. We are awaiting our FET having undergone an egg retrieval and PGS testing we have 6 healthy embryos waiting for us. He predicted we would have 3 but would do everything he could to make it more and he did just that. He did all of my ultrasounds, he was supportive and thorough and is clearly a leader in his field. I never questioned him because I had full faith he knew what he was doing and I was in the best hands possible.
Dr Tran has a dry sense of humour and is not the warm and cuddly type- he is a wildly clever doctor so don’t expect cuddles and a shoulder to cry on. He is fact driven, experienced and knows best so trust him. He was literally at the clinic every single time I went- 7am in the morning, Sunday’s, he was there. That’s what I want in a doctor.
Dr. Tran is an unbelievably smart, thoughtful and experienced fertility doctor who I trusted 100%. He clearly loves what he does and was always willing to answer my questions or concerns in a very direct way.
I did 14 days of stims using menopur and cetrotide. I had 7 monitoring visits before my egg retrieval and after each visit my dosages were changed to suit my blood results.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility San Francisco. (Assigned nurse: Onjira )
Onjira was my primary care nurse and she was ok. Not the same level at Helen or Ava or any of the other nurses that helped me each visit. She did her job and was helpful when necessary but I think Dr. Tran deserves a better nurse.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility San Francisco.
I love love love the clinic. The opening hours and location were the biggest plus for me. I had all of my appointments around 7am so never missed time off of work, the location is central SF and has easy parking, though you have to pay for it. The office is a good size with lots of rooms for ultrasounds and the lab is amazing. When you are about to have your egg retrieval you can see the embryologists at work and it makes it all so real.
So far we have paid $18,750 for egg retrieval, $4400 for meds, $900 for additional embryo biopsy, and I believe FET will be $4500. All up it will cost well over $30,000- more if our FET is unsuccessful.
I am yet to transfer but Dr Tran has said from the very beginning I will only be transferring one embryo. I am happy with this as I don’t want to put my body through any undue stress.
San Francisco

Dr.Minjarez always communicates clearly and directly. She would send me current research on my condition and explain why she recommended particular tests....My one complaint is that because she is so direct, it sometimes feels like she is not the most empathetic with my feelings/journey. With that being said, my partner loves that she is very direct. I also had some issues with seeing different doctors (she is based in Oakland and I live in SF so elected to see some of the Drs in the SF office for routine sonograms). Due to some communication issues, I elected not to do that for this most recent transfer cycle and have been happy with Dr.Minjarez being my only provider.
How was your experience with Debra Minjarez at Spring Fertility San Francisco?
Dr.Minjarez always communicates clearly and directly. She would send me current research on my condition and explain why she recommended particular tests. My case has been complicated, due to multiple miscarriages and a few set backs along the way. She has handled everything in stride and is confident in her decisions when it has been necessary to change the course of treatment. My one complaint is that because she is so direct, it sometimes feels like she is not the most empathetic with my feelings/journey. With that being said, my partner loves that she is very direct. I also had some issues with seeing different doctors (she is based in Oakland and I live in SF so elected to see some of the Drs in the SF office for routine sonograms). Due to some communication issues, I elected not to do that for this most recent transfer cycle and have been happy with Dr.Minjarez being my only provider.
She is brilliant and knows about all of the recent research. She is very direct and will not tell you something that she does not fully mean/believe. Because she is so direct, if you want someone who is more empathetic, it might not be the best fit.
Dr.Minjarez has taken the time to call me after hours to talk about next steps. For example, after I had an early loss with my first transfer, she called me to talk about what we could do to move forward. She also took time to get to know me and my partner.
For my most recent FET, I did 2.5 months of Lupron following a diagnosis of diffused adenomyosis. I then did a controlled cycle using estrogen patches and progesterone in oil injections. After my first transfer ended in an early loss, she had me tested for endometritis using a CD138 stain. (It was negative)
The nursing staff at Spring has been so helpful and caring. My care coordinator is responsive to my questions via call and email. I have also had a great experience anytime I have had to call in on the weekend for urgent requests (one time I was traveling and did not have the right medications and they immediately helped me find a local pharmacy that had the medication I needed).
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility San Francisco.
Spring is very clean and has state of the art equipment. There are 4 full time doctors, which is on the smaller side compared to some other clinics we considered. My complaint is that it seems like the doctors do not have the best communication procedures in place. I had a cancelled FET cycle and had seen 2 separate doctors and a nurse practitioner and it did not seem like there was clear communication. Once I decided to only go to Oakland to see my Dr. this was not an issue, but something to consider if you are planning on seeing doctors at a different location than your primary Dr.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Spring Fertility San Francisco.
There was a window of time for monitoring appointments but I never had to wait for more than 10 mins and they were almost always right on time.
I think Egg Retrieval and PGS testing was around $25,000. Each FET has been between $3000-5500
We were not given the option for multiple embryo transfer. I am not sure if this is standard procedure for my clinic or if it is because of my uterine issues.
San Francisco

Dr Tran is an incredible doctor- his knowledge of reproduction and his role in making it happen is astounding. I respect how efficient Dr Tran was at all of my appointments, I felt like he was always present and invested in our success. I felt safe, supported and 100% confident in his abilities as my doctor. ... He did every ultrasound I had, including first appointments of the day and on sundays.
One of the things I most appreciated about Spring is their convenience. They are open every day of the year, they open at 7:30am so all of my monitoring appointments happened before work, they were always on time, I never waited and the facilities are spotless. There is parking available on site too, which made life so much easier. ... Onjira was my nurse and she was just ok. I am not one to ask too many questions but she didn’t seem to be up to the same standard as the rest of the nursing staff. Ayda and Helen we’re both brilliant.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility San Francisco?
Dr Tran is not going to sit there and give you a cuddle, if you are looking for a doctor to look you in the eyes and tell you everything is ok- that is not Dr Tran. He is smart, fast and to the point and I absolutely appreciated that about him. He did every ultrasound I had, including first appointments of the day and on sundays. He must work 7 days a week, fertility and his work are clearly his passion and I felt so confident in his abilities at every step of the process.
Dr Tran will get you results, but don’t forget that this is a business and he’s a busy man. Expect the best service, honest answers and world class care.
Having done 4 unsuccessful IUIs with Kaiser and being very unimpressed with the care I received there, we moved to spring. I knew Dr Tran was our doctor and within 2 weeks of our first appointment I was starting injectables. I did a combination of menopur, gonal f and certitide for 13 days. My doses were adjusted each day depending on my daily ultrasound and blood results.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility San Francisco.
Egg retrieval- $18,500 Additional 2 embryo biopsy - $900 FET - $4500 Meds - $4400
I am yet to have my FET but have PGS rested embryos ready to go, our recommendation has been to transfer one embryo.
San Francisco

We came in fully knowing we want to do IVF after 12+ years of unexplained infertility and a previous pregnancy loss. He was thorough answering all of our questions and laying out the course of treatment as clearly as possible. ... Dr. Tran shared all the possible statistics of going through an IVF with a couple our age (late 30's). ... He expressed that he does not want us to go through more than one egg retrieval if we can help it. His goal is to help us get pregnant as soon as possible. I really do feel he has our best interest in mind.
I got the feeling that Spring clinic really nerds out on the science behind IVF, and I love that because it's not something I want to have to deal with! I'm more than happy to put my eggs in their hands so that they can create lab magic. Expect to hear a lot of statistics. ... So clean, organized, every time I call I talk to a real live person and they help me immediately.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility San Francisco?
As we have only seen Dr. Tran for a consultation, I cannot speak to his care going through the IVF process. However, just based on our consultation, I know we have made the right choice. We came in fully knowing we want to do IVF after 12+ years of unexplained infertility and a previous pregnancy loss. He was thorough answering all of our questions and laying out the course of treatment as clearly as possible. Of course, things can change as you go through the cycle, and we are not quite there yet. Dr. Tran is after eggs of great quality that will create embryos of great quality. He expressed that he does not want us to go through more than one egg retrieval if we can help it. His goal is to help us get pregnant as soon as possible. I really do feel he has our best interest in mind.
I would say to have your questions ready, and know that he speaks very scientifically. I got the feeling that Spring clinic really nerds out on the science behind IVF, and I love that because it's not something I want to have to deal with! I'm more than happy to put my eggs in their hands so that they can create lab magic. Expect to hear a lot of statistics.
Dr. Tran shared all the possible statistics of going through an IVF with a couple our age (late 30's). He was very sensitive because of the loss we've experienced, and although I did not feel like he treated us like a number, it was staggering to learn all the statistics and to think of IVF in a very systematic way like that. He knows what he is talking about, and fully acknowledges that there are anomalies or "lucky" situations that can occur, no matter what the numbers suggest. I appreciated his honesty.
As we have not done a cycle yet (most likely will start in June), I can only speak to the protocol we have been given. I was so elated to learn that I will not take birth control to start my cycle, but will begin injections about 3-6 days after ovulation of the cycle before egg retrieval. I am to call on first day of my period, go in for an ultrasound, and then return once I have a positive ovulation test for another ultra sound. From there, my treatment protocol will be personalized.
So far I have worked with Michelle, my care coordinator. I have had a few questions for her, and had to get her some info regarding previous testing I have done, and she has been so easy to work with. She communicates easily, responds quickly, and is readily available. She sets my mind at ease every time I talk to her.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility San Francisco.
So far the clinic is awesome. So clean, organized, every time I call I talk to a real live person and they help me immediately. I was surprised that they had 80's music in the waiting room. The receptionist at the front said that Dr. Tran likes to keep it fun. It was a little odd to have an ultrasound with an antral follicle count being done with Whitney Houston playing in the background, but hey, I kind of liked it!
Our consultation was paid for by insurance as we have some infertility coverage. I believe the appointment was around $400, plus additional lab fees for blood work. We received our workup for our IVF treatment, and it's around $18,000 for monitoring, egg retrieval, ICSI, assisted hatching, taking sample of cells for PSG and sending them off. Meds are estimated to be an additional $4000 and then the FET is estimated to be another $3500-5000. This does not include the actual cost of the genetic testing. I think that is another $3000-5000.
Dr. Tran's approach is single embryo transfer as often as possible. He did not mention multiple embryo transfer, so I'm sure if he does it, it's on a case by case basis. As someone who has lost twins, I appreciate that our transfer will be a single one.

2019, 33 Eggs Frozen
Dr. Tran was warm, friendly and to the point. I really appreciated his ability to balance clear, candid and accurate information well also being super nice. He took the time to learn my goals, tailor the treatment, and set realistic expectations. My favorite part was that if my personal fertility goals had been different, he would have actually not recommended egg freezing. I love he was willing to turn away business if it wasn't in the best interest of his patient.
I am obsessed with this clinic. The facilities are convenient in the city, with a parking garage below and easy street meters. The ambiance is incredibly lux. The sparkling water and snacks were clutch with all the blood draws. I never had to wait long, unless I was early, but my favorite part was that patients in the waiting room were super diverse and friendly. The other patients would grab coffee and chat with each other.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility San Francisco?
Nothing! You're in great hands at Spring. The whole experience is incredible with great customer service, support and facilities.
The clinic experience was so wonderful! The nurses and receptionists made a point to learn my name, offer snacks and water when I had blood draws, and ask about events happening in my life that I had shared. They were so lovely.
I elected to freeze my eggs for later use. I was given a tailored protocol of menopur, gonal, and later cetrotide. We used a lupron trigger to help avoid OHSS. Spring adjusted my dosages almost daily for the last half of my injects to help prevent OHSS (which they did!) and provided clear communication on their online portal about medications.
Yvette was my primary care nurse and Shirley was my scheduling coordinator. They were both incredibly responsive. Yvette was super helpful answering all my panicked emails when I thought I had done the injections wrong. She was super patient and sweet with my random questions about taking baths and tylenol too.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility San Francisco.
Progyny and my primary insurance handled all costs and billing. My out of pocket costs were minimal and covered by my yearly out of pocket maximum for all health coverage.
San Francisco
[Dr. Peter Klatsky] made me feel like I was his only patient. My wins were his wins. He stayed the extra hour to chat, always made the personal phone call, responded to emails...tempered my worries, managed my expectations, and put such an emphasis on the partnership that I never ever felt alone...sincerely invested in your care and goals to build your family.
Spring flipped our perception of a fertility journey on its head. They cared. They felt more like family than anything...The environment is warm, the team is kind and most importantly, their lab and approach are exceptional relative to even the oldest centers in the bay area. I'd go back to Spring or send any of my loved ones there 10/10 times.
How was your experience with Peter Klatsky at Spring Fertility San Francisco?
Dr. K made me feel like I was his only patient. My wins were his wins. He stayed the extra hour to chat, always made the personal phone call, responded to emails. He tempered my worries, managed my expectations, and put such an emphasis on the partnership that I never ever felt alone. I remember thinking that I was at the end of the road when I had to find a new clinic and pursue IVF, but what I later learned was that going to Spring and seeing Dr K was actually just the start of the journey. It was like there was finally a light at the end of the tunnel and some semblance of control (as I knew I was in good hands).
I'd advise them to come in with questions and a notepad when you have your initial consult. He will have a lot to share with you and you'll have an in depth conversation on what's next for you. This meeting is important and can feel overwhelming so it's helpful to have some questions in mind and a place to put your thoughts. That said, his care team is incredible and will always follow up with detailed notes and ensure you have everything you need.
Dr. K cares deeply about his patients. He is sincerely invested in your care and goals to build your family. He will take the extra time needed to make you feel comfortable. We trusted him whole heartedly and are so thankful we had the opportunity to work with him. The care we had prior to Spring was exactly what you'd expect from a big hospital setting. You felt more like a number. Physicians forgot who you were, what your protocol was, and frankly never felt invested in your success. Spring flipped our perception of a fertility journey on its head. They cared. They felt more like family than anything.
I went through a medicated IVF cycle (ISCI etc). I needed estrogen to build my uterine lining and progesterone shots to follow the pregnancy.
exceptional - the most kind, compassionate, human... engaging and timely. cant say enough good things!
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility San Francisco.
Spring is the best of the best. They feel more like a family than a fertility clinic. The environment is warm, the team is kind and most importantly, their lab and approach are exceptional relative to even the oldest centers in the bay area. I'd go back to Spring or send any of my loved ones there 10/10 times.