LGBTQ+ Competent Care
LGBTQ+ Competent Care

Based on reviews from the LGBTQ+ community.

LGBTQ+ Care
LGBTQ+ Care

Ratings of 1 indicate an unsatisfactory LGBTQ+ care.

Ratings of 10 indicate an excellent LGBTQ+ care.

Grand Rapids
Mason, MI 48854
Traverse City
1200 6th Street
Traverse City, MI 49684

[Dr. Mili Thakur] is very kind and compassionate. She is also very intelligent and knowledgeable about genetics. She took her time explaini ng the process to us. She made us feel welcome as it can be embarrassing to seek fertility help.I felt like we were in good hands with her...First cycle I used clomid and only one follicle matured. This cycle I am using clomid and follistim with a planned iui...took time to explain the process to my husband. As a nurse I understood but he did not so it was nice that she took time to explain the steps we would be taking.
One issue [at The Fertility Center of Michigan] can be parking depending on the time of your appointment. The center is in a shared building with other customers so it can get tight. It is always very clean in the waiting room. I would suggest larger BP cuffs or having nurses put cuff on forearm if not available. Otherwise cuff is too small and readings are not accurate...She [nurse] answers all my questions, usually several times, without making me feel foolish. She asks what I want to do regarding my plan of care.
How was your experience with Mili Thakur at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Mili Thakur is very kind and compassionate. She is also very intelligent and knowledgeable about genetics. She took her time explaini ng the process to us. She made us feel welcome as it can be embarrassing to seek fertility help.I felt like we were in good hands with her.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mili Thakur at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Dont be afraid to ask questions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mili Thakur at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
She was very kind and took time to explain the process to my husband. As a nurse I understood but he did not so it was nice that she took time to explain the steps we would be taking.
Describe the protocols Mili Thakur used in your cycles at The Fertility Center of Michigan and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Amy)
Amy is fantastic! She answers all my questions, usually several times, without making me feel foolish. She asks what I want to do regarding my plan of care.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Amanda is wonderful. Always so kind. One issue can be parking depending on the time of your appointment. The center is in a shared building with other customers so it can get tight. It is always very clean in the waiting room. I would suggest larger BP cuffs or having nurses put cuff on forearm if not available. Otherwise cuff is too small and readings are not accurate.
Mili Thakur
Kalamazoo

2016 - 2017, Unknown Success
Time with Dr. Shavell is great. I only wish there were more appointments with her(that you were not charged extra for) and not support staff so it would be easier to ask questions directly to her. She definitely listens and addresses all concerns when you are with her. And she is also good at explaining anything you don't understand....After failed clomid cycles with obgyn, dr. Shavell ran testing that included HSG, blood tests, ultrasound and SA for my spouse.
Beautiful facilities [at The Fertility Center] (Mason and Grand Rapids locations). All very minimal wait times....Nursing staff has been great and I have no complaints....$500 for IUI with SA/Wash....Time with Dr. Shavell is great. I only wish there were more appointments with her(that you were not charged extra for) and not support staff so it would be easier to ask questions directly to her. She definitely listens and addresses all concerns when you are with her.
How was your experience with Valerie Shavell at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Valerie Shavell at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Come prepared with your questions because direct one on one time with her is valuable time.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Valerie Shavell at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Dr. Shavell is very kind and sweet manored so she makes you feel as though you really matter and she wants to help figure out what's best for you.
Describe the protocols Valerie Shavell used in your cycles at The Fertility Center of Michigan and their degree of success.
After failed clomid cycles with obgyn, dr. Shavell ran testing that included HSG, blood tests, ultrasound and SA for my spouse. Determined that IUI was the best next step. IUI #1 was 2.5mg Femara on CD 3-7, ovidrel trigger on CD17 with 2 mature follicles and IUI on CD19, cycle ended on 12dpIUI. IUI #2 was 5mg Femara on CD 3-7, ovidrel trigger on CD17 with 1 mature follicle and IUI on CD19, cycle ended on 12dpIUI. Our next plan of action is a more agressive IUI with either metformin, Femara and ovidrel or injectable meds like menopur, gonal f or follistim and then ovidrel and IUI; since the femara and ovidrel are working but not good enough. My spouse is also on clomid for his male infertility issues.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Nursing staff has been great and I have no complaints.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Beautiful facilities (Mason and Grand Rapids locations). All very minimal wait times.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Valerie Shavell at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
We have approximately 50% fertility related coverage however 0% of IUI and IVF are covered. So those additionally out of pocket costs were reasonable. $500 for IUI with SA/Wash.
2020, Consult
Since we had a televisit, its hard to describe our experience, since its alot different with other appointments. But i believe she [Dr. Mili Thakur] answered all of our questions and i feel like she helped us, and provided alot of information...She's great, if you have questions just ask...went above and beyond making sure we understood everything so far. Its a difficult time with covid 19, and she made sure we knew how to protect against it and explained how right now they can not do new ivf, since no one knows how it will or could affect fertility or pregnancies
We are in the very early stages of treatment, we have only had our initial appointment [with The Fertility Center of Michigan]...we went over medical history, and what she thinks we can still trt, and what is safe to do with this pandemic covid 19...i do love the fact that they are doing the televisits. I was very worried that our appointment was going to get pushed back with the offices not being able to see patients, but because of the televisit we we're able to seen(televisit) sooner than our initial appointment.
How was your experience with Mili Thakur at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Since we had a televisit, its hard to describe our experience, since its alot different with other appointments. But i believe she answered all of our questions and i feel like she helped us, and provided alot of information.
She's great, if you have questions just ask.
I felt like Dr. Thakur went above and beyond making sure we understood everything so far. Its a difficult time with covid 19, and she made sure we knew how to protect against it and explained how right now they can not do new ivf, since no one knows how it will or could affect fertility or pregnancies
We are in the very early stages of treatment, we have only had our initial appointment, and that eas a televising, but we went over medical history, and what she thinks we can still trt, and what is safe to do with this pandemic covid 19
I have not seen any of the nursing staff, with the stay at home order, the offices are closed to patients and our appointment was a televisit
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
At this point in our fertility/infertility journey I can not say how the clinic was, since we have the pandemic covid 19,and the stay at home order,so offices are closed to patients, i am however excited to meet everyone in person once the covid 19 has calmed down, or clears up so that the clinic can open back up.i do love the fact that they are doing the televisits. I was very worried that our appointment was going to get pushed back with the offices not being able to see patients, but because of the televisit we we're able to seen(televisit) sooner than our initial appointment.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mili Thakur at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Being that we have only had a consultation it is too early to say anything about cost as we arr still learning what we need to do.
Mili Thakur

2013 - 2019, Successful
Dr Shavell reviewed everything with us. She was kind and straightforward regarding our options. After the many failures we experienced, she gave us the best option at that point resulting in our son. ... She is the person you want in your corner with fertility treatments. She is kind and forthcoming about what will work best for you are as a person or couple TTC. I can't thank her enough for not giving up on us and giving us the best thing in our lives, our son.
TFC [The Fertility Center of Michigan] was the best decision we made when choosing a clinic. the staff and drs are wonderful and work as a team to help you every step of the way. with multiple locations in Michigan, it was very convenient ... Always treated as VIP when in their [the nursing staff] care. Wonderful staff. ... [the total cost] 36,721.36 ...
Dr Shavell is wonderful doctor. She is the person you want in your corner with fertility treatments. She is kind and forthcoming about what will work best for you are as a person or couple TTC. I can't thank her enough for not giving up on us and giving us the best thing in our lives, our son.
Be open to advice she has to give you.
Always treated as VIP when in their care. Wonderful staff.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
TFC was the best decision we made when choosing a clinic. the staff and drs are wonderful and work as a team to help you every step of the way. with multiple locations in Michigan, it was very convenient.
36,721.36
2019, Consult
The clinic [The Fertility Center of Michigan] is very small and I was unsure where to enter. Once inside the office is very inviting...The nursing staff were very nice and compassionate...We just had a consult. She [Dr. Valerie Shavell] told me the process of IVF and explained every step...let me know that I could choose the number of embryos to transfer whether it be single or 2...She understood my struggle and said that we would find a way to create a family. She is compassionate and empathetic...She let me know how the process would work and the potential outcome. She offered all of the options to help afford the procedure due to it being so expensive
Dr shavell was understanding and thoroughly explained every aspect of IVF. She let me know how the process would work and the potential outcome. She offered all of the options to help afford the procedure due to it being so expensive
Ask all the questions that you have. Dr shavell is willing to answer and explain everything
We just had a consult. She told me the process of IVF and explained every step.
The nursing staff were very nice and compassionate.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The clinic is very small and I was unsure where to enter. Once inside the office is very inviting. I may not go back to the Mason office and instead go to the grand rapids office due to it being close to the same distance
Office visits are covered under my insurance but I will have to pay out of pocket for all drugs and treatment due to fertility not being covered with my insurance
Describe Valerie Shavell's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Dr shavell let me know that I could choose the number of embryos to transfer whether it be single or 2
Mason
Nice and kind. She [Dr. Shavell] gave me my treatment plan for the next month in ways I understood. ... You won’t see the actual doctor much so make sure when you do you ask all the questions you can. ... I have only seen or talked to the doctor 2 times in several months. ... Femara 2.5 days 3-7 first month, then 5mg second month, and 7.5mg third month. IUI at any time. CD 12 ultrasounds every month
I feel the nurses [The Fertility Center] pretty much run the show and give out all the advice. It’s hard when you don’t feel listened to and have to make an actual appointment to get answers from the doctor. ... I sometimes felt they [nurses] weren’t listening to my concerns. I had to make an appointment with my doctor to talk about what’s next because they didn’t seem to know what to do.
Nice and kind. She gave me my treatment plan for the next month in ways I understood. I wish I could see her over Dr. Thakur. I hope they can get down to the bottom of why I can’t conceive. This is probably one of the most frustrating journeys of my life and I hope they can fix it
Overall good. I sometimes felt they weren’t listening to my concerns. I had to make an appointment with my doctor to talk about what’s next because they didn’t seem to know what to do.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I really feel like the doctor should be more present in the patient’s care. I have only seen or talked to the doctor 2 times in several months. Maybe that’s how they keeps costs down I don’t know. I feel the nurses pretty much run the show and give out all the advice. It’s hard when you don’t feel listened to and have to make an actual appointment to get answers from the doctor.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Forgot to call in my Ovidrel
The Fertility Center of Michigan
Grand Rapids - Women's Center/Downtown (closed)