6.4
6.4

LGBTQ+ Care
LGBTQ+ Care

Ratings of 1 indicate an unsatisfactory LGBTQ+ care.

Ratings of 10 indicate an excellent LGBTQ+ care.

499 Illinois Street
San Francisco, CA 94158

IUI With Other Docs
She [Dr. Evelyn Mok-Lin] is very intelligent and up to date on protocols and medical literature. I felt confident in her decision-making...Different people saw me each time and were not familiar with my situation or complications...Try to contact Dr. Mok-Lin directly if something is confusing...You will see different people most visits. Expect people to not know details of your medical record or recent events. There is a lot of disorganization with administration and billing that add unnecessary stress to the process. Poor communication.
You will see different people most visits [at UCSF]. Expect people to not know details of your medical record or recent events. There is a lot of disorganization with administration and billing that add unnecessary stress to the process. Poor communication.... [there were] Miscommunications, delays in prescriptions and insurance authorization led to cancellation of a cycle.
How was your experience with Evelyn Mok-Lin at UCSF?
She is very intelligent and up to date on protocols and medical literature. I felt confident in her decision-making. Care team was disorganized and sometimes slow to respond, did not process requests, and mis communicated about my plan and communication.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Evelyn Mok-Lin at UCSF?
Be proactive. Try to contact Dr. Mok-Lin directly if something is confusing.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Evelyn Mok-Lin at UCSF?
Evelyn Mok-Lin
2012 - 2013, Successful
Egg Freezing With Other Docs
She [Dr. Huddleston] was the right doctor for me. Direct, smart, caring, ready to take the next steps. She spends time with you, explains as much as you need and feels like she's doing everything she can to get you results. [UCSF] is an IVF clinic, they are going to want to do IVF. If you don't want that, you're going to need to talk about going slowly, trying other things first.
[UCSF] is an IVF clinic, they are going to want to do IVF. If you don't want that, you're going to need to talk about going slowly, trying other things first...I felt like my care mattered, that she [Dr. Huddleston] was paying attention to my case and coming into my appointments having reviewed my charts.
How was your experience with Heather Huddleston at UCSF?
She was the right doctor for me. Direct, smart, caring, ready to take the next steps. She spends time with you, explains as much as you need and feels like she's doing everything she can to get you results.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Heather Huddleston at UCSF?
It's an IVF clinic, they are going to want to do IVF. If you don't want that, you're going to need to talk about going slowly, trying other things first.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Heather Huddleston at UCSF?
I felt like my care mattered, that she was paying attention to my case and coming into my appointments having reviewed my charts.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at UCSF.
They were available on the phone, called back and were sweet.
Heather Huddleston

2014, 12 Eggs Frozen
1 Egg Freezing (cancer)
Cancer
He doesn't have the best bedside manner in the world, but it's certainly good enough and does a fantastic job of explaining the process, the risks, and expectation setting. He was honest, nice enough, very open, optimistic, great nursing staff.
Amazing nurse support. Felt like they were my friends.
How was your experience with Mitch Rosen at UCSF?
He was honest, nice enough, very open, optimistic, great nursing staff.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mitch Rosen at UCSF?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mitch Rosen at UCSF?
Amazing nurse support. Felt like they were my friends.
2013, Unknown Success
Dr. Rosen spent 1+ hours with us at the initial appointment understanding everything. Very clearly explained all my hormone levels. Great doctor. Doesn't seem to care about multiples, however!
Loved the [UCSF] personal nurse who was my point of contact after my initial consult. Wonderful over the phone. Never met in person.
How was your experience with Mitch Rosen at UCSF?
Spent 1+ hours with us at the initial appointment understanding everything. Very clearly explained all my hormone levels. Prescribed Clomid and when we asked about the possibility of multiples he said "I'm not worried about multiples"
Great doctor. Doesn't seem to care about multiples, however!
Loved the personal nurse who was my point of contact after my initial consult.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Olga)
Wonderful over the phone. Never met in person. Very warm.

2014 - 2015, Successful
4 Embryo Freezing With Other Docs
Nice doctor who cared. Great, helpful, kind.
Paula was great, but there's still a lot you need to be on top of yourself. You have to be on top of your own prescriptions, otherwise nothing.
How was your experience with Paolo Rinaudo at UCSF?
Great, helpful, kind
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Paolo Rinaudo at UCSF?
Good option
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Paolo Rinaudo at UCSF?
Nice doctor who cared
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Paula)
Paula was great, but there's still a lot you need to be on top of yourself.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Paolo Rinaudo at UCSF.
approx $10k for everything?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UCSF.
You have to be on top of your own prescriptions, otherwise nothing
Paolo Rinaudo
Egg Freezing With Other Docs
He is gifted and compassionate and really really wants success. He has been through infertility himself so he knows!
I called her [my nurse] crying a few times and she was supportive and wonderful. He [Dr. Fujimoto] is gifted and compassionate and really really wants success.
How was your experience with Victor Fujimoto at UCSF?
He is gifted and compassionate and really really wants success. Like I said he has been through it himself and was beyond thrilled for us and our success.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Victor Fujimoto at UCSF?
Again he has been through this. He is gifted and will help if he can.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Victor Fujimoto at UCSF?
He seemed to have a tough exterior but omg he seemed sad when we were and thrilled when we were. He had a ton of sympathy for our struggle. He has been through infertility himself so he knows!
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: ??? bernstein)
I called her crying a few times and she was supportive and wonderful
2011, Successful
Dr. Zamah was warm, caring, smart and experienced. He was considerate but didn't hide the reality of the challenges of our situation. He was thoughtful about our IVF protocol.
How was your experience with Musa Zamah at UCSF?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Musa Zamah at UCSF?
He was personal, understanding and empathetic.
Musa Zamah

2020, Unsuccessful
Surrogacy With Other Docs
Dr. Noel is amazing. After a frustrating experience with doctors at Spring, Martha Noel was a breath of fresh air. She was patient, answered all my questions, never seemed rushed, was incredibly thorough, and she was at all my appointments. I felt completely at ease in her care...She was immediately curious about my birth experience of my first child and my failed transfers. She dug into my history
Financial department [at UCSF] is a weakness. Hard to get receipts. I found the front desk team to be very kind. The only challenge we had was trying to get receipts for reimbursement. It was much more complicated and required lots of back and forth compared to other clinics. But worth it for the doctor..
How was your experience with Martha Noel at UCSF?
I cannot express how grateful I am to Dr. Noel. After two failed transfers, I came to her with one embryo left. She was immediately curious about my birth experience of my first child and my failed transfers. She dug into my history and got curious like the doctors at Spring Fertility had not. She developed a hypothesis about what might be going on. We did an ERA test before the transfer and used those results to time the transfer. She also was very careful and detailed in setting up my protocol. I am happy to say I am 11 weeks pregnant. After my previous experience, I told the nurse it was important for me to see Dr. Noel as much as possible at my appointments. And they totally made that happen. If I ever had questions, she emailed me back right away. And Dr. Noel took her time in my appointments like other doctors had never done before. She never made me feel rushed. Overall, she's smart, detailed, empathetic, a strong communicator, just amazing. I am so happy that I switched for my last embryo!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Martha Noel at UCSF?
I don't have any. She's amazing.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Martha Noel at UCSF?
Describe the protocols Martha Noel used in your cycles at UCSF and their degree of success.
ERA test
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Financial department is a weakness. Hard to get receipts. I found the front desk team to be very kind. The only challenge we had was trying to get receipts for reimbursement. It was much more complicated and required lots of back and forth compared to other clinics. But worth it for the doctor.

2019 - 2020, Consult
Dr. Fujimoto has a preference for single embryo transfer. His goal is to help a family conceive and deliver to a healthy singleton pregnancy...[he] took his time explaining details to us if we were unclear and encouraged us to ask questions. We felt little to no pressure from him to make a specific decision...Even though we approached IVF with a sense of urgency, he was measured and took his time taking care to consider all of the facts before making a decision.
Don't be shocked UCSF is a large practice and you will see many doctors. Your doctor may not perform your procedures and you will work with many of the other doctors...It often felt difficult to get additional information over the phone regarding follow-up appointments or referrals my doctor made. Ultimately, they [nurses] were always responsive via email and phone within 48-72 hours.
How was your experience with Victor Fujimoto at UCSF?
Dr.Fujimoto was encouraging, thoughtful, and thorough. At every turn, he made sure we understood potential risks. Even though we approached IVF with a sense of urgency, he was measured and took his time taking care to consider all of the facts before making a decision. It can be frustrating when you're ready to go but hurdles keep arising, but I'm grateful for Dr. Fujimoto's measured approach as we can all move forward confident that I'll have the appropriate care in pregnancy.
Take advantage of the face time you have with him. UCSF has a large practice and you'll interact with your care team more often than your doctor. Go into meetings with him informed and ready to ask any questions you may have.
Dr. Fujimoto took his time explaining details to us if we were unclear and encouraged us to ask questions. We felt little to no pressure from him to make a specific decision. I appreciated that he helped us make informed decisions throughout the process. At the moment I found it frustrating but, he took his time always prioritizing my overall health and the health of any future pregnancy. He was confident, kind, and straight-forward.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Carolina & Teona)
It often felt difficult to get additional information over the phone regarding follow-up appointments or referrals my doctor made. Ultimately, they were always responsive via email and phone within 48-72 hours. Their communication was generally clear and easy to understand. I did have to play go-between for my care team and another doctor within the UCSF network that I was referred to. They didn't always let me know exactly what they needed from the other doctor and didn't seem to be communicating with the other doctor outside of messages sent through me.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Don't be shocked UCSF is a large practice and you will see many doctors. Your doctor may not perform your procedures and you will work with many of the other doctors. UCSF is a center for excellence and a leader in the field.
Describe Victor Fujimoto's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UCSF.

2020, Consult
just starting my journey with UCSF...I have only communicated with one nurse thus far given where I am in the process. She was timely and thoughtful with her response... I can speak to her [Dr. Martha Noel] professionalism, compassion, and communication styles, all which we are finding exceptional to this point. We have visited other clinics in the Bay area and did not receive this level of care.
How was your experience with Martha Noel at UCSF?
At this point, I have only had consultations and email exchanges with Dr. Noel due to COVID preventing continuation of treatment. But I can speak to her professionalism, compassion, and communication styles, all which we are finding exceptional to this point. We have visited other clinics in the Bay area and did not receive this level of care.
Be prepared with questions. She is clearly very intelligent and shows interest in making sure you understand what she is sharing.
Dr. Noel has an incredible balance of intelligence, directness and humanness. She clearly took ample time to review my case history before we first met, asked thoughtful questions and gave a thorough assessment of what she was thinking about my individual situation. She demonstrated sincere compassion as I shared my journey with her and was also very detailed in her answers to my questions. After we met, I emailed her and her team and she responded to me personally within 12 hours.
I am at the very beginning stage of working with Dr. Noel, so unfortunately I cannot answer at this time, but I am happy to come back and share my full journey working with her.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
I am just starting my journey with UCSF. I am happy to respond when I have experiences to share. Due to COVID, I have only met with Dr. Noel virtually and her team via email. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Describe the costs associated with your care under Martha Noel at UCSF.
We do not have insurance that will cover this procedure but Dr. Noel was very helpful in explaining that she could file our application to get a huge discount off of the anticipated fertility medications.
San Francisco
We agreed from the start that I only wanted to transfer one embryo at a time...Dr Noel treated me like a peer. She was very clear and helpful breaking down the options, the process for each, the odds for everything given my age and number of frozen eggs, etc. Whenever I needed her to explain things or answer questions, she made a point to make herself available for a call.
[UCSF is a ]World class public teaching hospital with professionals driven to serve their patients...I liked all the other nurses and techs along the way...Dr Noel treated me like a peer. She was very clear and helpful breaking down the options, the process for each, the odds for everything given my age and number of frozen eggs, etc
How was your experience with Martha Noel at UCSF?
I thought she was a perfect fit for me. Very pragmatic, very straightforward, very clear about what she could bank on happening and what she didn’t have much control over. Very easy to communicate with and accessible for questions. She was cautiously optimistic but also reassuring that it would be fine if things didn’t work out immediately and that we’d adjust and try again.
Call and make the appointment! Don’t wait.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Olga)
I loved Olga start to finish. I liked all the other nurses and techs along the way, too. (OMG they are so much better than my experience at PFC…) I thought my care coordinator was very nice and enthusiastic but felt a bit scattered.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
World class public teaching hospital with professionals driven to serve their patients. 1000% better than the private Pacific Fertility Center that has pretty people at reception and nurses who can’t draw blood very well.
Describe Martha Noel's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UCSF.
We agreed from the start that I only wanted to transfer one embryo at a time.
2019, Consult
Since I have PCOS which is her [Dr. Thalia Segal's] study direction, I think she provided me and explained some key findings to me clearly...for certain concerns she may not be able to answer and need consult other doctors...mini stimulation IVF, but so far I haven’t received my protocol or calendar...I had an initial consultation with Dr. Segal. She is a very nice person and answered my long list of questions one by one. I don’t think she is that experienced compared with other doctors in UCSF. But she will try to find the answer or consult Dr Cedars if necessary.
Ruth [nurse at UCSF] is nice however I don’t feel she follow up everything on a timely manner. Normally when u call them, it will be transferred to voicemail. You may get a call back within 2 days...Mini IVF costs around 6-7k, IVF one around is around 16k...is fully packed with tech and good staffs. The only thing is it’s a big hospital, so as a patient, you need know to keep track everything and push for the results. Otherwise you will be at loss and don’t know what’s your next step. So far, I haven’t experienced any billing issues. Just cannot get in touch with my care team made me but frustrated, already tried both patient portal and phone call.
How was your experience with Thalia Segal at UCSF?
Since I have PCOS which is her study direction, I think she provided me and explained some key findings to me clearly. The only thing is she is young and not that experienced, for certain concerns she may not be able to answer and need consult other doctors.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Thalia Segal at UCSF?
Be prepared before your visit and know what do you really want to do.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Thalia Segal at UCSF?
Describe the protocols Thalia Segal used in your cycles at UCSF and their degree of success.
I will go ahead with mini stimulation IVF, but so far I haven’t received my protocol or calendar.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Ruth)
Ruth is nice however I don’t feel she follow up everything on a timely manner. Normally when u call them, it will be transferred to voicemail. You may get a call back within 2 days. Or....you need call and push again...like what’s happening on me now.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
UCSF is fully packed with tech and good staffs. The only thing is it’s a big hospital, so as a patient, you need know to keep track everything and push for the results. Otherwise you will be at loss and don’t know what’s your next step. So far, I haven’t experienced any billing issues. Just cannot get in touch with my care team made me but frustrated, already tried both patient portal and phone call.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Thalia Segal at UCSF.
Mini IVF costs around 6-7k, IVF one around is around 16k.
San Francisco

[Dr. Martha Noel] She answered all of my questions and is very nice and comforting during the initial consultation. I didn’t feel like I was an exclusive patient of hers. My follow up visits were under the care of multiple other colleagues and nurses...She suggested I start off with IUI. I did five cycles and all of them failed. We proceeded with ivf and egg retrieval with PGs testing of the embryos
[UCSF] Big clinic in a nice location. They were pretty much on time with my appointments and follow up. You have to pay for parking but I guess that’s normal for the city. The warriors stadium went in next door so expect traffic on game days...My follow up visits were under the care of multiple other colleagues and nurses...
How was your experience with Martha Noel at UCSF?
She answered all of my questions and is very nice and comforting during the initial consultation. I didn’t feel like I was an exclusive patient of hers. My follow up visits were under the care of multiple other colleagues and nurses. I felt a lot of issues were missed
She’s fully capable of treatment and care, but see if you can request her for all of your procedures
This clinic sees a lot of patients and when I had a miscarriage, she didn’t know about it until a week later
She suggested I start off with IUI. I did five cycles and all of them failed. We proceeded with ivf and egg retrieval with PGs testing of the embryos. I did a fresh transfer and it failed. We were in the middle of going through another round when a different doctor found a hydrosalphinx and I required surgery to remove the tube. I was able to have a successful pregnancy and live birth after that. I feel like they missed hydrosalphinx and I wasted a year of my time and money on IUIs that didn’t work because of the hydrosalphinx.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at UCSF.
Nursing staff was always nice
2022, Successful
Dr. Fujimoto is extremely competent and compassionate in my experience. He was willing to consider and try new protocols based on emerging research and his clinics experience...Dr. Fujimoto will devise and oversee your care plan, but most visits will be with UCSF residents. I was fine with this and don’t feel it impacted quality of care...
UCSF is generally a well run clinic. Because they are large, I never had issues getting appointments at times that worked for me. my only issue was with billing- they made some errors and overbilled at times so I had to be on top of monitoring it...Dr. Fujimoto will devise and oversee your care plan, but most visits will be with UCSF residents. I was fine with this and don’t feel it impacted quality of care.
How was your experience with Victor Fujimoto at UCSF?
Dr. Fujimoto is extremely competent and compassionate in my experience. He was willing to consider and try new protocols based on emerging research and his clinics experience. For example, my prior clinic had cancelled transfers due to thin lining, but he was willing to transfer so long as other indicators looked good.
Describe the protocols Victor Fujimoto used in your cycles at UCSF and their degree of success.
I had recurrent thin lining and fluid in the uterus, which my prior RE blamed on a fibroid and suggested surgery (it would have been my third) after two failed FETs. Dr. Fujimoto did an ERA test, which he used to determine I needed additional days of progesterone before an FET, and also suggested trying a fresh transfer as some women respond better to that.
2021, Successful
Dr. Thalia explained every step and future plans with me and my partner very clearly. She is very approachable and was very positive. I remember she told me every pregnancy is a miracle and I would believe that always. She had the right plan for me. I had a small surgery and she is such an expert that I recovered very fast and it was pretty smooth.
Great clinic. They communicated very well and they were approachable. I would recommend them always. UCSF has big infrastructure and they have experienced doctors and equipments. The nurses and coordinators are well knowledgeable and communicate well...Dr. Thalia was understanding and made sure she explained everything well
How was your experience with Thalia Segal at UCSF?
Dr. Thalia was understanding and made sure she explained everything well. I recovered very fast from a surgery because she is such an expert. She was positive and I will never forget that she told me on my first visit that every pregnancy is a miracle.
Any fertility journey is difficult but have patience along with the doctor. Trust her and her plans. There is light at the end of the tunnel.
Dr. Thalia explained every step and future plans with me and my partner very clearly. She is very approachable and was very positive. I remember she told me very pregnancy is a miracle and I would believe that always. She had the right plan for me. I had a small surgery and she is such an expert that I recovered very fast and it was pretty smooth.
San Francisco

Dr. Anaya was great. She was informative and compassionate. She’s an active listener and always followed up with us in a timely and warm manner. We had setbacks with a failed transfer followed by Covid but she adjusted our medications and rolled with the punches with us and we were successful with the 2nd...She was very open and warm...Do research but stay open to her suggestions.
The [UCSF] clinic was always clean and welcoming. Even during Covid, the proper procedures were followed without making it seem scary or exaggerated. Staff was always on top of things and caring. There are few free parking options...Dr. Anaya was great. She was informative and compassionate. She’s an active listener and always followed up with us in a timely and warm manner. We had setbacks with a failed transfer followed by Covid but she adjusted our medications and rolled with the punches with us and we were successful with the 2nd.
How was your experience with Yanett Anaya at UCSF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Yanett Anaya at UCSF?
Do research but stay open to her suggestions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Yanett Anaya at UCSF?
She was very open and warm. The whole staff at UCSF was.
Describe the protocols Yanett Anaya used in your cycles at UCSF and their degree of success.
Don’t remember unfortunately.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
The clinic was always clean and welcoming. Even during Covid, the proper procedures were followed without making it seem scary or exaggerated. Staff was always on top of things and caring. There are few free parking options.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Yanett Anaya at UCSF.
We only paid a transfer out of pocket and it was around $5,000. We are currently paying cryogenic storage of embryos and it is $550 usd/year which is going up to $700 in 2024.
Describe Yanett Anaya's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UCSF.
The goal was to have a healthy baby and this would best achieved with a singe embryo transfer since multiples can be dangerous.
Yanett Anaya

2020, Unknown Success
He [Dr. Fujimoto] was warm but direct. He spoke very highly about his team and did a warm handoff. He clearly and fairly explained cost and risks and benefits of options and let us decide what is best for us. Most of all, instills hope...we went straight for IUI treatment plan after an ultrasound and genetic testing. We were delayed given COVID but are moving on to CLOMID + timed intercourse this month and then IUI next month.
The waiting room [at UCSF] was clean and comfortable with resources for support, including a book of advice/thoughts for patients to write in and read. The online communication system is very helpful. They respond very quickly when I message them in the online system...They [nursing staff] were clear and efficient...
How was your experience with Victor Fujimoto at UCSF?
He was warm but direct. He spoke very highly about his team and did a warm handoff. He clearly and fairly explained cost and risks and benefits of options and let us decide what is best for us. Most of all, instills hope.
none
He was warm, gave me individual consultation, and a hopeful prognosis which felt personal
He said we should be pregnant given our age and nearly 2 years of trying, so we went straight for IUI treatment plan after an ultrasound and genetic testing. We were delayed given COVID but are moving on to CLOMID + timed intercourse this month and then IUI next month.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at UCSF.
They were clear and efficient
Describe your experience with UCSF.
The waiting room was clean and comfortable with resources for support, including a book of advice/thoughts for patients to write in and read. The online communication system is very helpful. They respond very quickly when I message them in the online system.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Victor Fujimoto at UCSF.
So far, only a copay

2019, 13 Eggs Frozen
I really liked the way he [Dr. Mitch Rosen] talked to me about my plans and made sure it was considered in overall treatment. His style worked with my communication style...The only downside is after initial plan was set I never saw Dr. Rosen again and it would have been helpful to speak to him directly. Everything was done in a matter of weeks and the doctor who performed the retrieval was also very nice...it took place over three weeks or so.
They [nurses at UCSF] were extraordinarily well organized. I thought they were pleasant and easy to deal with and I had a lot of questions and went back and forth over whether to freeze...It's far from the city which was annoying to get to. However it was extremely efficient and I never waited for more than five minutes and also a pleasant environment. It's a very well oiled machine there...The only downside is after initial plan was set I never saw Dr. Rosen again and it would have been helpful to speak to him directly. Everything was done in a matter of weeks and the doctor who performed the retrieval was also very nice.
How was your experience with Mitch Rosen at UCSF?
I thought the clinic especially the nurses were incredible. The only downside is after initial plan was set I never saw Dr. Rosen again and it would have been helpful to speak to him directly. Everything was done in a matter of weeks and the doctor who performed the retrieval was also very nice.
Go in with questions and prepared to freeze.
I really liked the way he talked to me about my plans and made sure it was considered in overall treatment. His style worked with my communication style.
Describe the protocols Mitch Rosen used in your cycles at UCSF and their degree of success.
I don't recall much . except that it took place over three weeks or so.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Liz Gomes)
They were extraordinarily well organized. I thought they were pleasant and easy to deal with and I had a lot of questions and went back and forth over whether to freeze.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mitch Rosen at UCSF.
$12000 - 10k for procedure plus meds and labs
Describe Mitch Rosen's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UCSF.
2013 - 2016, Successful
Review of
He's [Dr Nam Tran] very matter of fact. I liked his straightforward nature, but if you are looking for someone to hold your hand, he's not it...Honest, direct feedback and recommendations. Acknowledging both the physical and emotional sides of the equation.
Twice an IUI Cycle was cancelled [at UCSF] due to missing my ovulation. I would have expected them to chedule check-ins earlier so that it wouldn't happen. Now, I am more forceful about scheduling my appointments early...Patient navigators are great. New facility at Mission Bay is beautiful and parking is easy. You will interact with a lot of different caregivers.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Nam Tran at UCSF?
He's very matter of fact. I liked his straightforward nature, but if you are looking for someone to hold your hand, he's not it.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Nam Tran at UCSF?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UCSF.
Twice an IUI Cycle was cancelled due to missing my ovulation. I would have expected them to chedule check-ins earlier so that it wouldn't happen. Now, I am more forceful about scheduling my appointments early.
Nam Tran
Review of

[Dr. Thalia Segal] listened, explained everything (even multiple times when needed), and had a very thoughtful and clear communication style...called me personally later in the day when we found out our first positive pregnancy had a no heartbeat. Two years on, I still remember that phone call...She and the rest of the UCSF nursing team made what was one of the hardest days of my life bearable.
because UCSF is a large organization with its own silos there can be misses in the experience...we had to delay one procedure because someone in the back-office did not do what they said they would do to send an authorization request to my health insurance. It took active program management on my end keeping things on track and moving forward.
How was your experience with Thalia Segal at UCSF?
Dr. Segal helped us through one of the hardest experiences of our lives -- trying to get and stay pregnant. After we miscarried, we were set for the next transfer as I had just received my medications, but then Covid hit, and everything was put on hold, indefinitely. She called and emailed to check-in with us as time went by. She also helped navigate some of the challenges within the UCSF system. We now have an amazing daughter that I am so thankful for. I could not imagine going through this process without a doctor like Dr. Segal.
Dr. Segal is amazing but make sure she is/you are fully supported staff wise (nurse and coordinator).
Dr. Segal was amazing throughout the entire process. She listened, explained everything (even multiple times when needed), and had a very thoughtful and clear communication style. She also called me personally later in the day when we found out our first positive pregnancy had a no heartbeat. Two years on, I still remember that phone call. And while the scheduling wizards were on our side, she was the doctor who performed the D&C procedure, and I would not have wanted anyone else to do it. She and the rest of the UCSF nursing team made what was one of the hardest days of my life bearable.
We attempted two rounds of IUI. Both were not successful. We advanced to IVF. For egg retrieval, stimulation phase we used Estrace, Gonal F, Menopur and Ganirelix. The trigger was HCG. After live transfer, I was on Medrol, Endometrin, Estrace and then a Valium (one-time). For our second transfer (FET), originally, we were going to do the "gold standard" which included progesterone in oil. But then Covid hit, and everything was put on hold. When we re-engaged with Dr. Segal a few months later as things were opening back up, we decided to forgo the progesterone protocol as we had two embryos frozen in the same tube and opted to transfer both. I cannot recall the specifics of the protocol the second round, but it was much lighter. Thankfully, one embryo took.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF.
I think because Dr. Segal was a newer doctor, in the beginning she did not have a dedicated nurse, just a coordinator. So, it was a rocky start. Things improved once she had a dedicated nurse, although there were two nurses helping at times, which sometimes complicated things.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
UCSF does feel as though it's at the forefront of medical advancement. But because UCSF is a large organization with its own silos there can be misses in the experience. UCSF was the only clinic that was covered by my work's fertility benefit, so we made it work. But we had to delay one procedure because someone in the back-office did not do what they said they would do to send an authorization request to my health insurance. It took active program management on my end keeping things on track and moving forward. I imagine if you are self-paying, it is a much easier experience. But being covered by a fertility benefit made the experience at times extremely hard. The unseen benefit was my insurance provider (Aetna) had a nurse that I eventually discovered who helped me navigate the whole insurance filing process for both infertility and then for pregnancy.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Thalia Segal at UCSF.
Unfortunately, I do not. My work provided an infertility benefit that we were able to leverage. We did have to pay our deductible and then 10% of the costs. I believe we paid somewhere between $5k and $10k but cannot be more specific at this time.
Describe Thalia Segal's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UCSF.
I am thankful we decided to do multiple embryos the second time. We were a little worried about the idea of twins but also it helped us get going again after the Covid halt.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UCSF.
I mentioned this earlier but we had to delay a procedure because we needed insurance authorization and the coordinator's coordinator (no one I had access to) did not fax paperwork when they said they would and a week later when I emailed my insurance provider to confirm everything, I discovered it had not been done. It took an escalation to the managing staff to get things back on track but by then, we had to delay the process a month. At the time, I was devastated.

2020 - 2022, Unknown Success
two distinct phases of our treatment with UCSF. For the first half, we ended up just seeing whoever was available, which was quite frustrating since my partner had some anatomical irregularities that served as fresh challenges over and over...had to abort (and re-freeze) an embryo transfer because the (non-Dr. Segal) doctor couldn't get the catheter in, Dr. Segal started coordinating our visits with her working days, and the quality and personal care level went up by quite a bit.
How was your experience with Thalia Segal at UCSF?
Dr. Segal was very patient with our concerns, and we never felt rushed through our many questions. She also, once we had the failed transfer, added a stitch + string to make future transfers easier, which was very effective. She tends on the optimistic / "don't worry about it" side of things, but was also very sympathetic when we experienced setbacks. There was a lot of authenticity and Dr. Segal is up-to-date on research.
Same advice to give anybody with UCSF -- try to coordinate your visits with your primary doctor's shifts.
There were two distinct phases of our treatment with UCSF. For the first half, we ended up just seeing whoever was available, which was quite frustrating since my partner had some anatomical irregularities that served as fresh challenges over and over. After we had to abort (and re-freeze) an embryo transfer because the (non-Dr. Segal) doctor couldn't get the catheter in, Dr. Segal started coordinating our visits with her working days, and the quality and personal care level went up by quite a bit. At the same time, we also started getting a much better nurse (Laurel Poole) and coordinating team. As mentioned in other reviews, the "default" nursing team is hard to work with -- poor communicators.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
UCSF has top-quality doctors and extremely high-variance support from the coordinating team. I felt confident in the answers to my medical questions. UCSF also has a lot of supporting materials and resources if you know how to find them. For examples, when we moved to PIO, we were assigned an "injection coach" nurse who was great.
Dr. Segal prefers single embryo transfer, but we did do a multiple embryo transfer after our first egg retrieval, which only yielded two embryos, one of which went through an unnecessary thaw-refreeze cycle.

2021 - 2022, Successful
I saw Dr. Segal for unexplained secondary infertility. She did all the necessary testing and and performed a hysteroscopy on me before we moved forward with fertility treatments...very supportive, listened to me, answered all my questions and guided me in my decisions with her knowledge and experience...wish that I could continue my regular OB care with her and her team due to how well they took care of me.
UCSF Fertility has its own patient portal where you can send messages directly to your care team and the staff. They are quick to respond and make your appointments, send you documents and even had modules for each treatment I received that showed what to expect and how things would work...[nurse] even called me on one of her days off to make sure everything was ok.
How was your experience with Thalia Segal at UCSF?
I saw Dr. Segal for unexplained secondary infertility. She did all the necessary testing and and performed a hysteroscopy on me before we moved forward with fertility treatments. She was very supportive, listened to me, answered all my questions and guided me in my decisions with her knowledge and experience. I loved working with Dr. Segal and wish that I could continue my regular OB care with her and her team due to how well they took care of me.
My only advice to prospective patients is to get on the list to see her ASAP.
Dr. Segal and her team personally reached out to me on every occasion necessary. I had 2 procedures and they called me each day and the day after to check on me and how I was doing. I was able to speak with someone on her direct team each time I asked.
First I had a hysterosalpingography (HSG) to assess the status of my uterus and tubes after 2 years of infertility and an ectopic pregnancy. Then there was some irregularities on my initial ultrasound and I underwent a hysteroscopy to remove some tissue and scarring in my uterus. Next, together, we opted to attempt 1 IUI cycle before proceeding with IVF. I did 5 days on Clomid 100mg, had an ultrasound to count follicles. on Day 10 I did 1 trigger injection of Ovidrel 250mcg. Had the IUI on day 12. On day 14 I began using Endometrin 100mg vaginal inserts. 2 weeks after my IUI I received a positive pregnancy test and used Endometrin until my 10th week.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Anne)
Anne is the best! She contacted me personally on many occasions to check on me after procedures, after a little bleeding scare I had. She even called me on one of her days off to make sure everything was ok.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Thalia Segal at UCSF.
UCSF sent me an estimated amount for my IUI with my insurance we paid a considerably lower amount than estimated.

2019 - 2021, Successful
UCSF definitely sees a lot of patients but I always felt like I had the full attention of my doctor [Dr. Thalia Segal]. I appreciate her taking the time to get to know my perspective and explain concepts to me. She even called me directly multiple times to clarify asks...I had complete trust in her expertise and competence and felt heard in my concerns and questions. I never felt rushed or dismissed.
UCSF is a top research hospital. They’re on the cutting edge of fertility and genetics research, which is why I sought them out. The trade off of that is that their staff are all researchers in addition to practitioners. This means potential for less consistency in care, or more requirement for you to navigate a big system. Almost every person I encountered at UCSF was kind, professional, and extremely competent.
How was your experience with Thalia Segal at UCSF?
I have only fantastic things to say about Dr. Segal. I had complete trust in her expertise and competence and felt heard in my concerns and questions. I never felt rushed or dismissed. UCSF does have an on call model, but I knew this going in. I expected to see multiple physicians— all of whom were of top caliber and very warm— but Dr. Segal always followed up with me directly.
Not sure.
UCSF definitely sees a lot of patients but I always felt like I had the full attention of my doctor. I appreciate her taking the time to get to know my perspective and explain concepts to me. She even called me directly multiple times to clarify asks.
Saline sonogram revealed a polyp, which was removed via out patient procedure. Elevated hormones revealed potential thyroid issue now managed with medication. My husband and I naturally conceived the cycle after polypectomy, so we assume that was a major contributor. Unfortunately that pregnancy ended in a missed miscarriage. Because of the time sensitive nature (fear of ectopic), another on call doctor performed the procedure, but Dr Segal called me multiple times that weekend to check in. I then conceived again the next cycle. Between the thyroid and the polyp, I believe Dr. Segal has helped me resolve my fertility issues.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Kali )
Kali was an amazing support during my two back to back pregnancies (first one non viable). She and I checked in nearly every day while going through the confusion of a possible ectopic and ultimate MMC.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Thalia Segal at UCSF.
I am very fortunate that my insurance covered all of my treatment and would have covered any IVF cycles had we taken that path. There is a billing coordinator you can talk to about all the details.
It’s my understanding UCSF recommends single transfer as it is safer. I didn’t push for more details.
2020 - 2021, Successful
Dr. Segal was very respectful and genuine...We mostly had video calls and [she] would listen to my concerns and answer my questions. I never felt rushed...During [the two months the clinic was closed during Covid], Dr. Segal prescribed me clomid so we can keep trying on our own. Later my protocol switched to only menopur for 5 days then IUI at the clinic...[she] treated my husband and I as her patients the moment we met her
When you do self pay, you pay the entire cycle upfront but UCSF would only charge you the stage you go through. If the cycle stops at a certain point before egg retrieval, you can have the remainder applied to the next cycle...Everyone at the fertility clinic was very nice but I can tell that they were very busy. There were a few times where we had to sign the same paperwork multiple times because it got lost. Eventually we learned to take a picture of it so that we can quickly send it off in case that couldn’t find it
How was your experience with Thalia Segal at UCSF?
I had consulted with 3 not-so-nice doctors/clinics before meeting with Dr.Segal at UCSF. The 3 doctors/clinics either talked to me like a sales pitch or brushed me off insinuating that I would lower their success rate. Therefore by that point, aside from seeking for help, I also just wanted someone to be kind to us. Dr. Segal treated my husband and I as her patients the moment we met her. She was so compassionate, explained the process to us clearly, was easy to talk to, and most importantly— I can tell that she wanted to help us achieve our baby goals. She got the ball rolling the day of consultation. Nurses drew blood and listed out the medication I’ll need. Dr. Segal gave us the cliff notes on how to navigate and follow up with their clinic. Essentially, she also told us to be patient but yet follow up with the staff. Additionally, she told us that it was usually the people who stayed persistent who saw success. That really helped set expectations for us — and when things got tough, we reminded each other to stay persistent.
Be mindful that everyone at the clinic is very busy. Be patient with the staff but also stay organized. I was constantly on top of scheduling my appointments, making sure I don’t have any payments outstanding with finance dept (it can delay your treatment), and make sure the nurses have sent the medication authorization to your pharmacy. Also, Dr.Segal is busy. When I don’t hear back in 1-2 days (pending the urgency), I’ve had to follow up and ask someone to check if Dr. Segal has seen my request.
Dr. Segal was very respectful and genuine. It always felt like I talking to a friend. We mostly had video calls and Dr. Segal would listen to my concerns and answer my questions. I never felt rushed.
My protocol was lead in with estrace then gonal-f + menopur injections each night for about 5 days. The clinic shut down for 2 months during the beginning of the pandemic in 2020. During this time, Dr. Segal prescribed me clomid so we can keep trying on our own. Later my protocol switched to only menopur for 5 days then IUI at the clinic.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Anne Garcillano and Eugenia Gonzalez)
Everyone at the fertility clinic was very nice but I can tell that they were very busy. There were a few times where we had to sign the same paperwork multiple times because it got lost. Eventually we learned to take a picture of it so that we can quickly send it off in case that couldn’t find it. Other than that, all the nurses were always professional and very pleasant. Anne would take the time out to chat with me when she calls to schedule my next appointment. Going through fertility treatment can get emotionally exhausting. Anne was very sweet in cheering me on and kept me motivated.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Our insurance doesn’t cover IVF so I feel very fortunate to have UCSF offer lower cost treatments. When you do self pay, you pay the entire cycle upfront but UCSF would only charge you the stage you go through. If the cycle stops at a certain point before egg retrieval, you can have the remainder applied to the next cycle. UCSF is also my primary hospital and overall my experience has been very positive.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Thalia Segal at UCSF.
Our insurance allowed up to 6 IUI treatments but didn’t cover IVF and medication. Unfortunately I don’t remember the exact cost but I do remember that UCSF IVF were the lowest compared to the other clinics. You pay the entire cycle upfront but UCSF would only charge you the stage you go through. If the cycle stops at a certain point before egg retrieval, you can have the remainder applied to the next cycle. Fertility medication is in addition to the cycle cost. My medication for IVF and stimulated IUI cost around $7-9k each cycle. We did 2 IVF cycles and 5 IUI cycles.
We didn’t have this discussion.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UCSF.
I had to follow up a few times to get someone to send my medication to my pharmacy. There are a few times when the timing was very tight. Luckily my pharmacy (which my nurse recommended) does same day delivery.

1 Embryo Freezing With Other Docs
Dr. Mok-Lin was clear with us about what was happening at each stage of care - the risks, the odds - and listened to our questions and concerns. We transferred care to her at UCSF after a negative experience with a practitioner at another clinic. She was professional but empathetic to the additional level of stress we were experiencing...She will be compassionate but professional...We brought 4 frozen embryos with us when we began working with Dr. Mok-Lin. During the first cycle to prepare for the embryo transfer, I ovulated and we also found a uterine fibroid. She recommended we cancel the cycle, use lupron for a brief period of time, and then start again. The second cycle worked as planned and the embryo transfer was successful.
The nursing staff [at UCSF] were pleasant and responsive. Sometimes their responses seemed vague when I called in with questions. I understand that maybe they can only speak to data...It seemed that they were changing the protocol at the time, and I received old info and new info...They were professional in helping us transfer care (and our embryos) from another clinic that was not cooperative. The finance department seemed understaffed, but everyone I interacted with at the clinic was pleasant and helpful. Because of the size of the clinic and the number of patients they work with, I was concerned about feeling like I was going through a revolving door. That's something you need to prepare yourself for.
How was your experience with Evelyn Mok-Lin at UCSF?
She will be compassionate but professional.
I felt like a human with this doctor but the UCSF program is set up for scale, so it's hard not to feel like a number at times.
Describe the protocols Evelyn Mok-Lin used in your cycles at UCSF and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at UCSF.
The nursing staff were pleasant and responsive. Sometimes their responses seemed vague when I called in with questions. I understand that maybe they can only speak to data.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UCSF.
When you're anxious that every single thing you do may compromise the pregnancy, it's not good to get conflicting information about how to use progesterone injections. It seemed that they were changing the protocol at the time, and I received old info and new info.
Evelyn Mok-Lin