LGBTQ+ Care
LGBTQ+ Care

Ratings of 1 indicate an unsatisfactory LGBTQ+ care.

Ratings of 10 indicate an excellent LGBTQ+ care.

Salt Lake City - University of Utah Hospital
50 N. Medical Drive
Salt Lake City, UT 84132
675 Arapeen Way, Suite 205
Salt Lake City, UT 84108
South Jordan
5126 W. Daybreak Parkway
South Jordan, UT 84095

He [Dr. Hotaling] was being very relatable and personable. He understood my husbands situation. His case is so rare that Hotaling was literally the only person in the state who could help my husband.... He told us that he read my husband's medical history. Asked some questions. He said we would have to do a semen analysis even though he knew it would be hard so he was thinking that the sperm might be in the urine.
The clinic [U of Utah] may not accept your insurance. That was the problem with us. We had to pay things out of pocket. They were understanding and let us use a credit card. They were organized and knew my husband's medical history. We didn't have to repeat ourselves to multiple people. They had a detailed survey for us to take to help figure out what was going on.... Our cost was about $500-$1000 for the consultation, tests and labs. We need another 2400 for the sperm extraction.
How was your experience with James Hotaling at University of Utah?
He was very nice and discreet. Good bed side manner. Did not make things feel awkward. He understood our situation and that it was impossible for us to get pregnant without his help due to male factor.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of James Hotaling at University of Utah?
Be open with him and let him know everything so he can diagnose you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with James Hotaling at University of Utah?
He was being very relatable and personable. He understood my husbands situation. His case is so rare that Hotaling was literally the only person in the state who could help my husband. And our insurance didn't even cover Hotaling. He understood exactly what we needed to do.
Describe the protocols James Hotaling used in your cycles at University of Utah and their degree of success.
He told us that he read my husband's medical history. Asked some questions. He said we would have to do a semen analysis even though he knew it would be hard so he was thinking that the sperm might be in the urine. If not we were going to have to do a blood test to see if his body was making sperm. If that was positive then he would have to do a sperm extraction. That's what we are waiting for next so we can move forward with IVF.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at University of Utah.
Everyone was friendly and kind.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
The clinic may not accept your insurance. That was the problem with us. We had to pay things out of pocket. They were understanding and let us use a credit card. They were organized and knew my husband's medical history. We didn't have to repeat ourselves to multiple people. They had a detailed survey for us to take to help figure out what was going on.
Describe the costs associated with your care under James Hotaling at University of Utah.
Describe James Hotaling's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Utah.
He and another doctor had strong preference of 1 embryo transferred due to my husband's medical situation.
James Hotaling
Salt Lake City - Utah Center for Reproductive Medicine

When I had my first appointment with Dr Link she had all of my test results and immediately did blood work and diagnosed me with pcos. She understood the fact that me and my husband had been trying for 5 years (with one loss) she had a sense of urgency and was really easy to talk to....Started letrozole took 4 cycles and she explained the risks she explained clomid and how she thought letrozole would be a better fit. I started with 5mg and then was changed to 7.5 mg
They [U of Utah - nurses] were very helpful because I got lost finding the office and they explained the costs. They were very aware that this was a touchy subject.... They were very knowledgeable even the nurses and the office wasn’t out dated. It was clean which I have a thing for germs and I didn’t see any red flags....They ask you to pay 230$ to see the doctor. They offer a discount for paying upfront because if they bill insurance it’s usually not covered.
How was your experience with Megan Link at University of Utah?
She was very direct and got to the point she seemed younger ( I dont know her age) but she was easy to connect with! She made sure I felt comfortable and made me feel she would do everything she could to make a baby happen for me
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Megan Link at University of Utah?
If you want action and the process to start she is your girl
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Megan Link at University of Utah?
I had previously been seeing an obgyn for 2 years. She didn’t put my on any medication and I felt I only spent a short amount of time with and I was wasting my time. When I had my first appointment with Dr Link she had all of my test results and immediately did blood work and diagnosed me with pcos. She understood the fact that me and my husband had been trying for 5 years (with one loss) she had a sense of urgency and was really easy to talk to. She immediately started action and got me on letrozole the same day. I’m so glad I went to her. We are still in the process of working with her but I am very hopeful she will take the necessary steps to get me pregnant SOON!
Describe the protocols Megan Link used in your cycles at University of Utah and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at University of Utah.
They were very helpful because I got lost finding the office and they explained the costs. They were very aware that this was a touchy subject.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
I would have more information on where to go inside the building because it was huge and I got lost. I would maybe ask for clarification as to where you were going. They were very knowledgeable even the nurses and the office wasn’t out dated. It was clean which I have a thing for germs and I didn’t see any red flags.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Megan Link at University of Utah.
They ask you to pay 230$ to see the doctor. They offer a discount for paying upfront because if they bill insurance it’s usually not covered. The price they offer is cheaper then billing insurance. The cost hasn’t been anything crazy
Describe Megan Link's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Utah.
I have not experienced this yet.

2016 - 2019, Successful
Dr Peterson always takes he time to explain everything and never makes you feel rushed. The minute you start treatments with him, you have his personal cell number if you need anything... We did IUI a few times basically because it’s low cost and worth trying. When that didn’t work, we ended up going with an egg donor and IVF. We were pregnant the first time on both IVF cycles and both resulted in a live birth.
Everything about this clinic [U of Utah] is great. No complaints. The staff at check in is very helpful. The facility is clean. Everyone there is always rooting for you and they treat every cycle with the upmost care and concern for the patient and potential pregnancy....Our first IVF cycle with the donor eggs was about 33k. Plus about 500 every time we did IUI prior to that....Jennifer and Danielle are the egg donor nurses we worked with.
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
He is the best doctor I’ve ever been to! He is very knowledgeable when it comes to infertility and I was confident that If anyone could help us get our children here, it would be him. He also has great bedside manner and is very open and honest about why he thinks you should or shouldn’t try certain treatments.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
Book the appointment as soon as you can! Because he’s amazing!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
Describe the protocols Matthew Peterson used in your cycles at University of Utah and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer and Danielle)
Jennifer and Danielle are the egg donor nurses we worked with. They were extremely helpful and so knowledgeable. We love them!!
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
Everything about this clinic is great. No complaints. The staff at check in is very helpful. The facility is clean. Everyone there is always rooting for you and they treat every cycle with the upmost care and concern for the patient and potential pregnancy.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Matthew Peterson at University of Utah.
Fertility is very expensive. Our first IVF cycle with the donor eggs was about 33k. Plus about 500 every time we did IUI prior to that.
Describe Matthew Peterson's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Utah.
I was happy that he recommended only implanting one egg. Since the embryo quality was so high using a donor egg, our chances were very good to conceive and there can be a lot of complications with multiples.

2017 - 2019, Unknown Success
He [Dr. Peterson] pays close attention to you and he makes sure you know you know what options you have and goes with what your most comfortable with. he responds right away or his staff. He never makes you feel awkward and he always tries his hardest and gives his opinion and still lets you decide! He always is kind and NEVER rushes you. ... when I first went he put me on metformin and gave me advice on how to take it without bad side effects
They [University of Utah] are very good at managing their time and always keep you in the know about if there is any delays. They make sure you know what is taking so long and they usually take you back right away and they always check in and make sure your okay or if you need anything. ... the whole nursing staff was awesome! they would come in and explain the next step and take all your questions and if you email they get right back to you right away!
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
he is the nicest guy ever! He pays close attention to you and he makes sure you know you know what options you have and goes with what your most comfortable with. he responds right away or his staff. He never makes you feel awkward and he always tries his hardest and gives his opinion and still lets you decide! He always is kind and NEVER rushes you. I honestly can't say enough good things about him! Everyone who goes to him loves him!!
Don't wait get in now! he is pretty booked but once your in his care he never lets you get forgotten! take your questions and concerns he will listen!
I LOVE LOVE DR PETERSEN! I was a little skeptical going to him but as soon as I was there and he came in he immediately made me and my husband feel so comfortable and genuinely cared about us he asked us about our daughter and wanted to see pictures and really acted like he cared to see it. He explained the whole process with us about where we start and offered suggestions on cost as well all in the first appointment
when I first went he put me on metformin and gave me advice on how to take it without bad side effects, then I came back and he started me on chlomid as well as letrozle, and we did quite a few of that rounds then I went crazy on the clhomid and he even agreed not the best choice if we weren't getting our best results so he switched it up and made sure I knew all the risk of the gonal f injections as well as the price. he let me know that IUI is better than timed intercourse at this stage and now we just did the first round of gonal F
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Heidi )
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
They are very good at managing their time and always keep you in the know about if there is any delays. They make sure you know what is taking so long and they usually take you back right away and they always check in and make sure your okay or if you need anything.
He finds way to see if your insurance can cover some like utlrasounds, medicine is anywhere from 12-400 and the iui are 360

2017 - 2019, Unsuccessful
Dr. Link has been aggressive in my treatment but not so much so that I suffered any negative effects. I appreciate her stance on things like only transferring one embryo at a time but I also feel like she would hear me out of I truly wanted something different. ... Every interaction I have had with Dr. Link she has gone over everything in so much detail (even often making drawings and explaining medical terms and processes to me) and has answered all of my questions. As someone who meticulously researches things, I often have a full list of questions for her (and follow-ups to her answers) and she goes through each and every question with me and ensures I understand while not making me feel like I worry too much or ask too many things.
UCRM is very busy and sees a huge number of patients. I never felt like this lessened their care for me but I did mean I had to wait quite awhile to initially be seen and I generally have to schedule appointments fairly far out. As UCRM is based at a research institution (University of Utah), they are very research oriented and this sometimes does make me feel like their treatment options and protocols are more "in the box." UCRM has impressive statistics and I do feel that I stand the best chance of getting a baby by choosing them as my clinic.
How was your experience with Megan Link at University of Utah?
I've been seeing Dr. Link at UCRM for over 2 years now. From the very beginning she was so patient, kind and informative. I had a negative experience with a previous RE but Dr. Link has been the polar opposite to that person. Every interaction I have had with Dr. Link she has gone over everything in so much detail (even often making drawings and explaining medical terms and processes to me) and has answered all of my questions. As someone who meticulously researches things, I often have a full list of questions for her (and follow-ups to her answers) and she goes through each and every question with me and ensures I understand while not making me feel like I worry too much or ask too many things. My appointments have never been rushed and she makes sure I leave feeling empowered and ready for whatever is next. Although I have not yet gotten pregnant, she remains very positive while not sugarcoating the situation.
Ask whatever questions you have (no matter how small or detailed they might be) Dr. Link. She is wonderful about breaking things down and making sure her patients feel heard and are informed. Having all my concerns and questions answered has made this long process much easier.
From the start of my time with Utah Center of Reproductive Medicine I have felt that my needs and concerns were being taken seriously. My questions are answered in a timely manner and my treatment plan has been clear. I was concerned at first that such a large clinic based at a Tier 1 research institution would lead to me being treated as a number but this has not been the case whatsoever.
Dr. Link has been aggressive in my treatment but not so much so that I suffered any negative effects. I appreciate her stance on things like only transferring one embryo at a time but I also feel like she would hear me out of I truly wanted something different. My treatment protocol was dialed down as I was responding well and I appreciated this. I did not want to risk OHSS. After my first failed transfer, Dr. Link spend another appointment with me going over everything we did and my results. We talked about a plan of action for the next round and she also was very accommodating when I asked for additional testing and procedures (such as a hysteroscopy, which resulted in a removed polyp).
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Lisa)
Lisa was my IVF nurse. She was very organized and kept in constant contact with me. I was so nervous that I was going to mess something up with my meds and waste thousands of dollars but she explained everything so clearly and answered all the questions I had throughout the cycle. The nursing staff in general at UCRM has been very kind and helpful. I have had a few nurses who seemed to lack some of the attention to detail I had gotten so used to and I had to be much more of an advocate for myself when dealing with them.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
All of my diagnostic costs were covered by my insurance. I paid completely out of pocket for all IVF expenses. My full IVF retrieval cycle was about $9000 (not including ICSI, which we did not do). Medications were another $4000. The clinic does offer a guarantee program which we will be using for our next IVF cycle. I found UCRM's prices to be reasonable but potentially higher than other local clinics. However, UCRM has better success rates, from what I can tell.
Dr. Link prefers not to transfer more than one embryo at a time. She went over her rationale for this and used scientific, research-based statistics for why she wants patients to only transfer one at a time. That said, I do believe that if I pushed for more than one embryo and had the medical rationale for it, she would be receptive to it.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at University of Utah.
I had one negative experience with a nurse (Jennifer S.) who I had to call back multiple times before she got me the information I needed. As such, an appointment for a procedure that should have been scheduled right away after a consultation I had with Dr. Link took MONTHS to schedule. There was absolutely no reason this needed to be the case. The nurse was not good at communicating with me and put the blame on others. I came very close to reporting her to Dr. Link and to this day I dread having to work with her again. But again, this did not taint my overall experience with UCRM.

2015 - 2019, Successful
When I first met him he diagnosed me immediately just by getting my history (wow how many doctors missed that? Later confirmed by bloodwork of course) he’s just an all around good person and fantastic physician. ... He asked me personal questions in a professional manner, he stayed positive but also factual. ... When we got pregnant in 2015 he was excited with us. Back again (2019) for another hopeful pregnancy and he’s still a great doctor.
I wish there was a better way to get scheduled if there happen to be any issues (happened to me, where I needed better communication between scheduling and nursing staff but they are located in different buildings [University of Utah]) ... Heidi [nurse] is great and has gone out of her way to help me with a difficult prescription issue. ... Letrozole instead of clomid (I have pcos and clomid will likely create more cysts than good follicles) Hcg trigger shot to have more control over when I ovulate to plan IUI accordingly. Then progesterone starting the day after IUI to thicken lining and promote implantation and prevent miscarriage.
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
He’s incredibly intelligent and very well educated in his field. His been the chief of OBGYN services and definitely knows his stuff. I feel nothing but confidence in him. When I first met him he diagnosed me immediately just by getting my history (wow how many doctors missed that? Later confirmed by bloodwork of course) he’s just an all around good person and fantastic physician.
Sometimes you have to wait. But I promise if you’re patient, it’s worth it. One time he felt so bad about our wait that he offered to take my husband’s stitches out so we didn’t have to drive 20 minutes to go get it done. Anyway, my advice? Wait. And if you can get an earlier appointment, you’ll wait less hahaha but again it’s worth it because he takes his time with you!
He asked me personal questions in a professional manner, he stayed positive but also factual. When we got pregnant in 2015 he was excited with us. Back again (2019) for another hopeful pregnancy and he’s still a great doctor. We’re just not as lucky this time. Still hopeful and still using him as our physician.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at University of Utah.
Heidi is great and has gone out of her way to help me with a difficult prescription issue.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
The clinic is almost always open which is helpful! I wish there was a better way to get scheduled if there happen to be any issues (happened to me, where I needed better communication between scheduling and nursing staff but they are located in different buildings)
140 for my monthly trigger shot and 360 for each IUI. Plus 30 for my compounded progesterone (monthly)
Not there yet. Meeting with him next month to discuss our next step since the last 3 IUI’s didn’t work.

2015 - 2019, Unknown Success
He [Dr. Matthew Peterson] spends plenty of time with us when we visit. He makes sure all of our questions are answered and makes us feel like we are normal for having questions!... He does come to a Satelite location in st George monthly but a lot of our tests or ultrasounds have to be done with our primary OBGYN. He gave us his cell phone number and calls to make sure we know our plans because we have to travel so far. He also personally called us after we miscarried.
The billing department [at Univ of UT] has been great to work with and communicates when bills are due and they give you a long time before they charge you late fees. Jennifer and Kelli specifically helpful! They always fit us into the schedule at our satelite office if needed... The fresh cycle and retrieval was $10,150. Frozen cycles are $2,750... [the nurses are] All very nice and organized. They are considerate to our travel concerns and work with us!
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
The only weakness we have is that he is 400 miles away from us. He does come to a Satelite location in st George monthly but a lot of our tests or ultrasounds have to be done with our primary OBGYN. He gave us his cell phone number and calls to make sure we know our plans because we have to travel so far. He also personally called us after we miscarried.
Come with questions! He’s an open book!
He spends plenty of time with us when we visit. He makes sure all of our questions are answered and makes us feel like we are normal for having questions!
I had had a child previously and so we were seeing him for MFI. We had met with his partner, Dr. Hotaling who helped us get my husbands sperm via biopsy and now IVF is our only option with frozen sperm. We then did a “normal” cycle with gonal f, cetrotide and menopur. All was the lowest dose and we ended up with three embryos. We implanted one and it never took. We then did a frozen cycle with our last two embryos and one took and one did not. The one grew until 6 weeks 9 days and we miscarried at 8 weeks 4 days. We have just retrieved again and have 5 frozen embryos! We are so excited for April to come our way so we can implant two more embryos! ❤️
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Lee Cherie)
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
The billing department has been great to work with and communicates when bills are due and they give you a long time before they charge you late fees. Jennifer and Kelli specifically helpful! They always fit us into the schedule at our satelite office if needed
The fresh cycle and retrieval was $10,150. Frozen cycles are $2,750
Our first cycle we did one embryo and then we did two the second time, and we got pregnant with the second cycle with one.
Salt Lake City - Utah Center for Reproductive Medicine

Dr. Berga is extremely kind and I would trust my life with her. She always made sure that my husband and I understood each step along the way, and assured we were comfortable, not just with the process, but the outcomes, both good and not so good. I would go to her time and time again.... Dr. Berga is really amazing at what she does, and I say this because she is extremely knowledgeable, but also makes a point to sit down and get to know you. Since she takes the time to do this, she talks to you like she would a good friend whom she cares about. From the moment my husband and I met her, we knew we were in the best of hands.
The clinic [Univ of UT-SLC] is extremly clean, and very organized. The quality of care is high. Since doctors make sure to spend enough time with each patient, there is usually a delay in seeing your provider, however I feel that this is the case at most clinics that provide higher quality of care, and the wait never bothered me.... The nursing staff is very efficient and communicates well between each other.... We are currently in this process, and our costs are estimated at $18,000
How was your experience with Sarah Berga at University of Utah?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sarah Berga at University of Utah?
Make sure to ask questions! Dr. Berga is more than willing to take the time necessary to assure you know everything you want to know.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sarah Berga at University of Utah?
Describe the protocols Sarah Berga used in your cycles at University of Utah and their degree of success.
I am currently in the beginning stages. We have started birth control. We are planning on doing an agonist protocol.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at University of Utah.
The nursing staff is very efficient and communicates well between each other.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
The clinic is extremly clean, and very organized. The quality of care is high. Since doctors make sure to spend enough time with each patient, there is usually a delay in seeing your provider, however I feel that this is the case at most clinics that provide higher quality of care, and the wait never bothered me.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sarah Berga at University of Utah.
We are currently in this process, and our costs are estimated at $18,000.
Describe Sarah Berga's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Utah.
Dr. Berga prefers to do an elective single embryo transfer. She prefers this for several reasons. I am 28 years old, and my eggs are very healthy. Due to my age , Dr. Berga explained that I will have a high success rate. She also explained that with multiple embryo transfer, we are lowering the success rate for our overall transfers (if we do more than one). I also have a smaller frame, and to become pregnant with twins, while a blessing, would be very demanding on my body, and we are looking to prevent that.
Sarah Berga

2017 - 2019, Unknown Success
Dr Link is brilliant. She is so smart. She really takes the time to explain what is happening / what may happen. I saw her before my IUIS, after we failed them and now as we wait to start ivf. I feel like she is being as aggressive with my treatment as I allow. She takes the time to hear my concerns as well as take my input. She’s a breath of fresh air. I know she is doing her best to get me the results we want ( get pregnant and carry to term) .
In Utah fertility treatments are not covered by insurance. However this clinic [University of Utah- SLC] offers a self pay discount. I think it’s around 30% There’s the cost for ultrasounds IUI Hsg Semen analysis Ovidrel letrozole. It adds up but the discount helps. Luckily the meds aren’t too pricey aside from the ovidrell... Sara was the NP I saw after all my ultrasounds. She always took time with me to make sure I understood the outlines plan . She was always on top of things and always was quick to get back to me with answers to questions.
How was your experience with Megan Link at University of Utah?
Don’t be afraid to ask questions. She will explain them!
Dr. Link is so kind. She spent serious time with my husband and I. She made sure all my questions were answered. During difficult procedures she made sure there were properly trained staff available to help me through discomfort. She has a calm demeanor. She also gave me contact information for all the people who I might need to be in touch with for the next step. She’s prompt about responding to my emails. I feel like I’m a priority with her care.
We started with letrozole. Maybe 5 mg on days 3-7. I responded for a while and then didn’t. So we increased it to 7.5 and stayed steady there. I always ovulated . Then again I stopped. At this point we were just doing TIC. I’d go in for an ultrasound on day day 11-13. After a few more months I stopped ovulating even with the 7.5 mg letrozole and the metformin. We added clomid to the mix and lowered my letrozole. My side effects ( hot flashes) were so bad I asked to be taken off. We finally are up to 10 mg letrozole and 1000mg metformin. I triggered for 1 of our TIC and for al 4 of our IUIs with ovidrel. Always 36 hours before procedure. I added progesterone only to my last IUI.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Sara Tollstrup)
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
This place is great. It’s just about finding the Doc that best meets your needs. Once that was set I was golden . It’s ok to shop around or transfer care. I did. I’m so happy I found a doc that fit my needs
In Utah fertility treatments are not covered by insurance. However this clinic offers a self pay discount. I think it’s around 30% There’s the cost for ultrasounds IUI Hsg Semen analysis Ovidrel letrozole. It adds up but the discount helps. Luckily the meds aren’t too pricey aside from the ovidrell
My docs prefer to do eset. They believe it’s safer and that the outcome is more viable than multiple transfers

2017 - 2019, Successful
I did 2 visits telemedicine and one ultrasound in person [at University of Utah- SLC] and have no issues or concerns about the clinic! Everyone was kind and prompt. I never had to wait very long and all my needs were addressed each time.... My first visit with Dr. Stanford was scheduled half with my husband and half with me. It was around $600 for the whole consultation. My last visit was a follow up since the birth of my daughter and was $200. I've emailed him on the portal so many times since though and he's managed a lot of my care and pregnancy prescribing progesterone that I didn't have to pay for.
How was your experience with Joseph Stanford at University of Utah?
Dr. Stanford is an expert in dealing with infertility in a way that works cooperatively with your body through the use of NaPro technology, which is a restorative medicine approach to working with infertility and other issues. This respects woman's bodies and helps treat the underlying issues. It's beautiful and it works! He is so kind and really cares about you as a patient and works to help meet you where you are to accomplish your goals. Highly recommend!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Joseph Stanford at University of Utah?
Be open to working with other treatments that you might not be familiar with. It's not IVF but works to treat the underlying issues of what is causing your infertility. It's so worth it! So be patient!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Joseph Stanford at University of Utah?
Dr. Stanford was interested in me, who I was, what I was doing and my overall health and wellbeing. He took time in his visits and never seemed rushed. He explained things well and was open to my inquiries about other options.
Describe the protocols Joseph Stanford used in your cycles at University of Utah and their degree of success.
I took progesterone in the second half of my cycle due to a luteal phase defect. I was on low dose naltrexalone (which I forget exactly the reason but something about it being an anti-inflammatory for endometriosis?)
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
I did 2 visits telemedicine and one ultrasound in person and have no issues or concerns about the clinic! Everyone was kind and prompt. I never had to wait very long and all my needs were addressed each time.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joseph Stanford at University of Utah.
Salt Lake City - Utah Center for Reproductive Medicine
He [Dr. Joseph Stanford] looks into all avenues and lets you be apart of the choices you make. He empowers you to be in charge of your treatment options. He uses natural approaches and the Creighton model... is thorough and empathetic when working with women and their partners. He goes out of his way to call you, email you and follow up with any questions or concerns you have. He gets back to you quickly. He spends time with you and answers all your questions and concerns. He is the best doctor I have ever had the pleasure of working with. His staff is also great to work with and they all show you individualized care.
The nurses [at University of Utah] show empathetic, individualized care. They are very nice and thorough and you can tell they love their jobs...The clinic is clean, the staff is friendly and they provide you drinks while you wait. The mychart is easy to use and their is minimal paper work. I would strongly recommend this clinic. They have an inviting environment and the wait times are short. They communicate with you if they are running behind and worked with me when I was running late. They will make sure to reach your doctor if needed.
How was your experience with Joseph Stanford at University of Utah?
Dr. Stanford is empathetic and he takes his time to answer all your questions and concerns. He treats his patients as individuals and you can tell he cares for you. He gets back to quickly in my chart and calls to check on you. He is thorough in his diagnosis and treatments and he includes the patient and their partners.
This is the most thorough doctor you will ever find and his turn around time and follow up is most impressive. You will not regret doing fertility with Dr. Sanford.
Dr. Standford is thorough and empathetic when working with women and their partners. He goes out of his way to call you, email you and follow up with any questions or concerns you have. He gets back to you quickly. He spends time with you and answers all your questions and concerns. He is the best doctor I have ever had the pleasure of working with. His staff is also great to work with and they all show you individualized care.
He looks into all avenues and lets you be apart of the choices you make. He empowers you to be in charge of your treatment options. He uses natural approaches and the Creighton model.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at University of Utah.
The nurses show empathetic, individualized care. They are very nice and thorough and you can tell they love their jobs.
$200
2016 - 2019, Unknown Success
You need to learn early how to work the system to be able to communicate with him [Dr. Matthew Peterson], which is through his nurse. His focus is on getting you pregnant, not figuring out why you are not...He wanted to keep trying IUIs because I was able to have my son with IUI #1 and could technically get pregnant with IUI #2...I didn’t feel like he addressed my specific issues. There wasn’t much testing done to diagnose anything. He did sit down make sure to answer all questions, if you actually got him in person. He is also a very conservative Dr. and didn’t want to too many eggs for IUI.
I dealt with a lot of different nurses [at University of Utah] and it was especially confusing when I would email one person and hear back from three different people/nurses...I had a nurse tell me to specifically go in to a lab for an important blood draw and it ended up being closed causing a lot of extra stress and anxiety. Nobody ever acknowledged or apologized...Out of pocket IUIs $370...It seems so busy and hectic that you really can’t ever talk to the same person. I like the online mychart system for accessing test results and messaging. I also had one nurse give me incorrect hours of operation for one of the clinics locations and I went in for an important blood draw on a Sunday and was turned away after being told to specifically go in then. Nobody ever apologized or acknowledged the error. (Q121) which of the following did your treatment with the  include?
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
You need to learn early how to work the system to be able to communicate with him, which is through his nurse. His focus is on getting you pregnant, not figuring out why you are not.
I felt more like a number when I hardly ever got to see my RE in person even when they would say the appointment was with him. I also could never communicate with him directly and it was really frustrating.
On my first IUI I was successful with 2.5 mg letrozole ( 2 eggs)On IUI number two I miscarried after 2.5 mg letrozole ( 2 eggs). Trigger shot ( Ovidrel) was used in both of these about 34-36 hours prior to IUI. Then I had a D&C.I was unsuccessful on IUI’s 3-4 ( 2.5 mg letrozole/trigger), had an SIS done. Dr. P changed my protocol after #4 to add gonal F injections along with letrozole 2.5. I was unsuccessful with IUI #5 with the new protocol and am currently miscarrying after IUI #6 with same protocol. He wanted to keep trying IUIs because I was able to have my son with IUI #1 and could technically get pregnant with IUI #2.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at University of Utah.
I dealt with a lot of different nurses and it was especially confusing when I would email one person and hear back from three different people/nurses.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
Out of pocket IUIs $370 each Letrozole and Ovidrel trigger shots ( $150+) gonal f=75/ shot, ultrasounds $200 after insurance, SIS $ ??
Describe the specific things that went wrong at University of Utah.
I already explained but I had a nurse tell me to specifically go in to a lab for an important blood draw and it ended up being closed causing a lot of extra stress and anxiety. Nobody ever acknowledged or apologized.
2017 - 2019, Unsuccessful
Dr Link was always professional and took the time to sit down with me and explain everything that came up. I have spent 3 years under her treatment with multiple failed cycles of iui and timed intercourse. Throughout all the procedures and unexpected outcomes, Dr Link was always there to talk me through the next steps and to remain optimistic. Dr Link wasn't able to do the iui procedures due to timing of my cycles but she always sent me the follow up results.
Everyone I met [at Univ of UT] was extremely friendly. They all knew my husband and I by name and remembered the small conversations we would have with them. They would ask about what ever work story we told them or if our dog was doing better. They knew us personally and we all became office friends. Sara is absolutely amazing. She's shed tears and frustration with my husband and I on multiple occasions. She is simply the best health care provider I have ever worked with!
How was your experience with Megan Link at University of Utah?
It takes awhile for a new patient appointment but it's worth the wait. Dr .Link will take great care of you.
Dr Megan Link and her APRN Sara Tollstrup have overseen my fertility treatment for years. They have always been upfront with what to expect during each stage of the process. I have shared many hugs and tears with them both. They were always interested in my personal life, my emotional state, my career and schooling. They know me as a person, more so than some of my friends. They always have open arms when things didnt go the way we were expecting. During this time of taking a break, I find that I miss talking with them and the connection we all have.
Dr. Link began with me having the transvaginal ultrasound and the fallopian tube test. Both came back normal. We continued with Clomid with no luck and then added lettazole. I began growing eggs slowly and after several rounds and dose increases we were able to try our first IUI. Everyone was very optimistic however it didn't work. We restarted more oral meds but with the continued use of clomid at high doses my lining never got thick enough. We then had a long discussion and decided to try the gonal f injection. Labs were checked every few days as well as having multiple vaginal ultrasounds. We had one round that produced the right conditions and we again tried IUI. That too, failed. Dr Link then sat down with me and explained my options. We decided to hold off on any more cycles and focus on preparing for IVF. This is where we are currently.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Sara Tollstrup )
Everyone I met was extremely friendly. They all knew my husband and I by name and remembered the small conversations we would have with them. They would ask about what ever work story we told them or if our dog was doing better. They knew us personally and we all became office friends. Sara is absolutely amazing. She's shed tears and frustration with my husband and I on multiple occasions. She is simply the best health care provider I have ever worked with!
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
They are wonderful getting you an appointment when needed but it did take several months to be seen initially. Communication between all members of the team was fantastic. Nothing ever got missed or overlooked. If there were questions that one person couldn't answer I never had to wait more than a few hours, even on weekends, to get an answer.
So far the cost has been about 20,000 which includes all labs, ultrsounds, medications, septum takedown, sonograms, diagnostic procedures
We discussed this briefly but haven't really gotten to the point of having a in depth conversation. She did mention possibly doing 2 but she was a little hesitant about doing so.
Salt Lake City - Utah Center for Reproductive Medicine

We had to push him [Dr. Matthew Peterson] to do some additional testing on my husband (after the second failed round), which ultimately revealed a potential cause. We wished we had done that testing earlier, as it might have changed the course of our treatment and/or our outcome...My first protocol was fairly standard: gonal-f, menopur, and hCG for trigger. My second protocol was more aggressive: higher doses of the above, a slew of supplements, and human growth hormone...is warm but direct; kind but straightforward. We first spoke on a phone call to his personal cell phone after dinner in the evening, so he is very willing to work with your schedule and accommodate. He always explained everything clearly and slowly to make sure that we understood each step of the process.
The clinic [University of Utah] is very well organized and very responsive. Payment, booking appointments, and logistics were very easy. All the nursing staff is very compassionate--one even held my hand during a particularly painful procedure. You really feel that they hope for success along with you!...IVF round was about $9,000, I believe, with drugs an additional $5-$7k. IUIs were $600 each...[nurse] was very speedy with prescriptions and happy to answer every question. She is experienced and knowledgeable.
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
We did not have a positive outcome, which I'm sure colors my perspective. Unfortunately, all of our embryos died before an IVF transfer, which was devastating. We were not prepared at all for that possibility. Dr. Peterson was very compassionate and kind. However, he immediately encouraged us to do another round with more aggressive treatments and hormonal protocol. Even that more aggressive round resulted in the same outcome: no transfer, and a group of arrested embryos. I wish that Dr. Peterson had taken some time with us to regroup and really understand why the embryos died in the first place. We had to push him to do some additional testing on my husband (after the second failed round), which ultimately revealed a potential cause. We wished we had done that testing earlier, as it might have changed the course of our treatment and/or our outcome.
Do not feel pressured into IVF. Fertility clinics treat it like it is the answer for all couples (because it has a higher success rate than other non-third-party treatments overall), but it may or may not be the right choice for every circumstance. Go slow, ask questions, do your research.
Dr. Peterson is warm but direct; kind but straightforward. We first spoke on a phone call to his personal cell phone after dinner in the evening, so he is very willing to work with your schedule and accommodate. He always explained everything clearly and slowly to make sure that we understood each step of the process.
Lee Cherie was very speedy with prescriptions and happy to answer every question. She is experienced and knowledgeable.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
The clinic is very well organized and very responsive. Payment, booking appointments, and logistics were very easy. All the nursing staff is very compassionate--one even held my hand during a particularly painful procedure. You really feel that they hope for success along with you!
Dr. Peterson has a strong bias toward single embryos transfer, assuming it's a healthy, viable embryo.
Salt Lake City - Utah Center for Reproductive Medicine

She [Dr. Johnstone] is fair, blunt, and informative. She can come across as slightly scripted sometimes, which rubs some the wrong way, but she diverts from the script as needed. I have requested some unique accommodations, and she has done everything she can in that respect without making me feel stupid. I've never felt rushed or like I'm asking stupid questions. She is brilliant, which is a little intimidating. I do wish she'd try to get to know me as a person a little bit more.
Our clinic [U of Utah] doesn't have a lot of visual bells and whistles, which I appreciate. It doesn't seem like I'm paying for fancy furniture and decorations. The online portal used by the university is awesome. It makes communication easy and fast. My only complaint is that despite the sign saying not to bring children, there are almost always children there. I understand it's a sensitive thing, but it bugs me.
How was your experience with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
She is fair, blunt, and informative. She can come across as slightly scripted sometimes, which rubs some the wrong way, but she diverts from the script as needed. I have requested some unique accommodations, and she has done everything she can in that respect without making me feel stupid. I've never felt rushed or like I'm asking stupid questions. She is brilliant, which is a little intimidating. I do wish she'd try to get to know me as a person a little bit more.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
Come armed with questions, knowing she will answer them but might not think to initiate that train of thought.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
She is almost frustratingly objective, which could make you feel like a number. However, she reaches out when it's not required, spends as much time as you want with her, and engages in small talk about personal lives at times.
Describe the protocols Erica Johnstone used in your cycles at University of Utah and their degree of success.
For our one IUI, I took femara for a few days and tested for ovulation at home. When positive, I scheduled the procedure for the next day and had a nurse do the IUI. For the egg retrieval, I took 112.5 IU gonal-F and one vial of menopur each day for 10 days. The dosages were conservative because my amh is 7.4 and there were concerns about OHSS. I started cetrotide on day 6 and took it for five days. I triggered with a hybrid lupron and hcg. Egg retrieval resulted in 20 eggs. Of those, 15 were mature and 14 fertilized through ICSI. Four made it to freeze on day 6. I did not receive good a good explanation about the extreme dropoff or slowness to reach blast. Three were rated good/fair and one poor. Our doctor did not recommend testing on the embryos, primarily because of the cost (about $4,000). FET #1 started with birth control pills. After two weeks, I added 10 IU lupron. I stopped BCP a week later and decreased lupron to 5 IU after 10 days. Also on that day, I added 1 mg estrace twice a day. A week later, I increased estrace to 2 mg, three times a day. On week four of lupron, we did a lining check ultrasound. It was over 10 mm and trilaminar. Two days later, I stopped lupron, decreased retrace back to 1 mg 2x daily and started 100 ml of progesterone in oil. Five days later, we transferred one embryo. It did not thaw well and was rated poor at the time of transfer. I was given one lupron dose day of transfer. I stayed on the same estrace and PIO protocol for 10 days, until we had a negative beta. FET #2 had the exact same protocol with drugs and the same problem with the thaw. Our doctor still recommended transferring it and said she sees a lot of babies come from poorly rated embryos. She said she doesn't put as much stock into ratings as other doctors and added that the rating at the time of freeze is more critical than at the time of transfer. I'm now 8 days past transfer and testing negative at home. Our doctor did recommend transferring our two remaining embryos at the same time in our next attempt. She'll probably also provide the option of an endometrial scratch but didn't sound super confident about the research around it.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Denise F)
We like Denise. She is informal and kind. She is a little frantic and seems to always appear over-caffeinated, but it doesnt affect her performance. She has always gotten back to me very fast and gives good information.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
Our clinic doesn't have a lot of visual bells and whistles, which I appreciate. It doesn't seem like I'm paying for fancy furniture and decorations. The online portal used by the university is awesome. It makes communication easy and fast. My only complaint is that despite the sign saying not to bring children, there are almost always children there. I understand it's a sensitive thing, but it bugs me.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at University of Utah.
It was efficient and fast. I always got in fast and was never kept waiting in the room. I wish the time window was longer. (It was 7-9 a.m. and I live 90 minutes away.)
Describe the costs associated with your care under Erica Johnstone at University of Utah.
IUI was $500. IVF egg retrieval freeze-all was $9750 with ICSI Meds for egg retrieval were about $4000 FET is $2720 Meds for FET were $400
Describe Erica Johnstone's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Utah.
She seems to operate by what the research says is best for my age.
Salt Lake City - Utah Center for Reproductive Medicine

Dr. Peterson is very nice and friendly, but he doesn't seem to know my case very well, except what he reads off my chart. He's missed some important things in there. Once I saw him in the waiting room in the clinic, and it was clear he didn't recognize me at all. His staff is great though and knows me...is really smart, and I trust him to know the appropriate treatment for me. He is always very patient in answering my many questions, and always presents the information in a way I can understand. I like that he doesn't sugarcoat things, but also presents I options in a hopeful manner.
Every nurse at this clinic [University of Utah] is so caring, kind, professional, and great to work with. They get back to me incredibly fast with questions, and treat me so well at the clinic. They've been really sensitive with giving me bad news, and always make it clear that they know how hard this process is. They are just wonderful...They have an excellent online portal, which I love using. Refilling prescriptions, communicating with the staff, making appointments, seeing results are all very easy. The clinic offers great hours to make sure treatments are done at the right time.
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
Dr. Peterson is really smart, and I trust him to know the appropriate treatment for me. He is always very patient in answering my many questions, and always presents the information in a way I can understand. I like that he doesn't sugarcoat things, but also presents I options in a hopeful manner. His drawbacks include working on a kind of macro level- he doesn't seem interested in helping me optimize my health to increase chances of conception...he told me once that rates don't change much by chasing down every little problem. He hasn't done any labs on me since my first consultation (with another Dr. 2 years prior to my visit with him). I also feel that I he has somewhat neglected my husband throughout this process, despite pretty serious MFI. We lost a few months due to not knowing what was going on.
Advocate for yourself. Make sure he's looking at all the results, and doing the tests you need.
I started on metformin 1500mg for 3 months, while my husband started on clomid 50mg for 3 months. Did an SIS to endure everything was good anatomically. Then I started letrozole 5 mg, which I didn't respond to. Used Provera to induce a period, then did 7.5 mg letrozole. Didn't respond. That same day, started 50 mg clomid plus 7.5 letrozole. No response by day 13. Started 5 mg letrozole and 100 mg clomid. No response. Told then I could move to injectibles, or lose weight. Chose to lose weight. After 4 months, I responded to 5 mg letrozole. Tried 3 natural cycles with the letrozole. Then moved to IUI. First was 5 mg letrozole and trigger with ovidrel. No success. Next three IUIs were 7.5 mg letrozole (to try and ovulate earlier than day 19) and ovidrel trigger. CP on second IUI, and then 2 failures. After 4th fail, recommended to do IVF with ICSI.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at University of Utah.
Every nurse at this clinic is so caring, kind, professional, and great to work with. They get back to me incredibly fast with questions, and treat me so well at the clinic. They've been really sensitive with giving me bad news, and always make it clear that they know how hard this process is. They are just wonderful.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
They have an excellent online portal, which I love using. Refilling prescriptions, communicating with the staff, making appointments, seeing results are all very easy. The clinic offers great hours to make sure treatments are done at the right time. I can always get an appointment when I need one, although it does take awhile to get an appointment with my actual Dr. My one big criticism of the clinic is that they do not enforce their "no children in the clinic" rule and that is very frustrating and painful.
I believe the initial consultation was around $200. Each ultrasound was around $350. IUIs are $370 total. My copay for each Dr. Visit was $25. I pay about $20 for a 3 month supply of letrozole, $10 for metformin, and $18 per syringe of ovidrel.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at University of Utah.
On my first consultation with Dr. Peterson, I asked him if we had any chance of getting pregnant, once I started ovulating. He looked at my husband's SA results (from 2 years earlier) and said it would be difficult, but possible. He must have only looked at one (and the oldest) result out of the 4 SAs, because at my SIS procedure the next month, he told us that with my husband's numbers, IVF was our only choice. He started him on clomid to try and increase his count, but it was very frustrating to have lost 2 months (which meant a 5 month delay given the time it takes to make new sperm.)
Salt Lake City - Utah Center for Reproductive Medicine

Dr. Peterson is not only a great doctor and highly professional and qualified in his line of work but also a great human being. He has so much compassion and understanding for every patient. He keeps you feeling motivated and hopeful even when things go unexpected!... We started with Femara(7.5) and timed intercourse after being diagnosed with PCOS. We then moved onto a high dose and eventually added in 75u of Gonal F until a follicle developed large enough for ovulation. I then triggered and we either did timed intercourse or IUI. We have been doing this for al cycles. The Femara gets my follicles to produce a dominate one and the gonal f for a few days finishes maturing it.
I love the U of Utah clinic. I have always been able to schedule and appointments with ease. I’m never waiting too long and they are great and communication and the process. The clinic is very clean and I love all the staff. I have always received prompt communication from my nurse and doctors. They have also worked with scheduling my locations for my ultrasounds to work around my schedule.
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
Don’t be afraid to ask questions, even after the appointment.
Dr. Peterson was so personal and really made me feel like he was on my team cheering me on every step of the way! He knew my nursing back ground and kept that in consideration while explaining everything to me.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Sarah Tollstrup)
Sarah is amazing. She is so personable and easy to get a hold of. She answers all my questions promptly and really cares about the outcome of each cycle!
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
We spent about $5000 per pregnancy. Our cost is about $500-$1200 a cycle.
Salt Lake City - Utah Center for Reproductive Medicine

I honestly loved Dr. Petersen and my experience with him. He has good bedside manner but also is direct about the risks you face and the steps that need to be taken. I always felt like i could trust him and the treatment plan he recommended. My only complaint would be that i saw him for the first few months and now i don't really see him at all. I see mostly the nurses or clinic staff but i understand thats is probably common with this field of work.
For the most part, the nursing staff [at Univ of Utah-SLC] has been wonderful. I've had a few hiccups that was lack of communication from them. One was prior to IUI. they didn't tell us to make sure we had intercourse no more than 5 days but less than 1. etc. Which made me really mad but luckily the sperm sample was still ok. They also didn't tell me to have intercourse the night of trigger for the first IUI round, Which again made me mad.
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
Just to trust him and try to have faith in the process. Also, to make sure to ask as many questions as you want! Sometimes the treatment plan can be lengthy and detailed and i always felt a little overwhelmed. Demand the time you need to ask questions and go over everything slowly.
Doctor Petersen is very sweet. He seems almost like a father figure who is trying to help you get through this difficult time. He seems to genuinely care about you and your situation.
The first few cycles i went on letrozole (an alternative to Clomid) , triggered ovulation with ovidrell and did timed intercourse. That was not successful so we wanted to attempt IUI. However, due to my particular anomaly, i cannot have twins. Therefore, if there were multiple follicles present, the risk for twins being higher, we were recommended to cancel that cycle (which we did). We reduced my letrozol dosage to try to get just one follicle and have been able to complete IUI Since (1 failed attempt) Im currently in the waiting period of my 2nd attempt. If not successful, we will attempt IUI one more time before possibly discussing Invitro
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at University of Utah.
For the most part, the nursing staff has been wonderful. I've had a few hiccups that was lack of communication from them. One was prior to IUI. they didn't tell us to make sure we had intercourse no more than 5 days but less than 1. etc. Which made me really mad but luckily the sperm sample was still ok. They also didn't tell me to have intercourse the night of trigger for the first IUI round, Which again made me mad.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
I think they are overall wonderful. Communicating through the Mychart is so easy and they respond very quickly. My only complaint would be that you never know who you are seeing or speaking to, so i always felt the need to remind them of my uterine anomaly bc i wasn't sure if they were aware of it or had read the file. They are all friendly and courteous. They try to be sensitive and relay good or bad news in a delicate manner.
i have insurance that is copay of $80 per visit due to seeing a specialist. The medications were usually around $150 per cycle and IUI was around $400 each cycle
Describe the specific things that went wrong at University of Utah.
I was not given the information i needed pre IUI until we arrived at the clinic to start. Luckily our abstinence days did not cause us to cancel the cycle, but i was pretty upset that no one had told me prior to the time of sample that we should have been abstaining from sex or having sex x amount of days.

2010 - 2018, Successful
My endometriosis was first treated [by Dr. Erica Johnstone] to help reduce inflammation and to reduce the toxic environment that was created as a result. First a laparoscopy was performed to remove extensive endometriomas that had formed. Then I was provided with 3 months of depot lupron injections to reduce the size of the other endometriomas that could not be removed. We then moved on an IVF cycle using a moderate level of dosing of injectables for this procedure. I did respond well and 9 eggs were retrieved and all fertilized. 2 embryos were implanted, though none others survived to freezing. This resulted in the live birth of a singleton. The dosing for medication was based on my age and AMH testing.
UCRM is up to date on new techniques and research being done. The doctors and staff are all very knowledgable and available to answer questions whenever needed. They are also quick to respond to emails and phone calls. The only draw back is that you will not see your assigned doctor for every visits or procedure, but I have not had a negative experience with any of the other staff.
How was your experience with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
Erica is great at providing all the information and being forthcoming with both the good news and that bad, but does so in a way that is kind and gentle. She remains up to date on the recent breakthroughs and studies going on and in turn provides that information to her patients. Working with Erica always feels like you're working with a team and you are included in the decisions in your health care.
Do not be afraid to ask her questions or have her clarify information. She is not someone that will ever feel like less of a person because you do not fully understand what is going on.
Erica would at every appointment check in with us to see where we were at emotionally with everything that was going on. Her concern was not only our physical health, but also our emotional health and the health of our relationship.
My endometriosis was first treated to help reduce inflammation and to reduce the toxic environment that was created as a result. First a laparoscopy was performed to remove extensive endometriomas that had formed. Then I was provided with 3 months of depot lupron injections to reduce the size of the other endometriomas that could not be removed. We then moved on an IVF cycle using a moderate level of dosing of injectables for this procedure. I did respond well and 9 eggs were retrieved and all fertilized. 2 embryos were implanted, though none others survived to freezing. This resulted in the live birth of a singleton. The dosing for medication was based on my age and AMH testing.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Heidi)
The nursing staff at UCRM is great. They are all knowledge and kind. They are available to answer any questions and assist with any needs.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
There is often little wait for these appointments and things are moved through efficiently and effectively. Monitoring or ultrasound appointments are scheduled during certain parts of the day, but they usually have a few times available to try and accommodate your schedule.
The IVF cycle had a flat fee of $8900, which included things like assisted hatching, egg retrieval, ultrasounds, etc. Medications were obtained through a separate pharmacy, but because we were able to meet with Dr. Johnstone in a hospital setting, we did receive a small reduction in cost. Medications cost about $3500. We have also completed IUIs with Dr. Johnstone and these cost a flat rate of $360.
Salt Lake City - Utah Center for Reproductive Medicine

Dr. Link actually showed concern for me individually and intently listened to my own concerns and questions. She was very thorough in my care plan and up front with what to expect with a balanced translocation and sending embryos for testing.... She was very thorough with descriptions and knowledgable in mine and my partner's specific case. She was pleasant to talk to and showed great compassion when going over our pregnancy history.
The clinic itself [University of Utah] is on the smaller side but they have it set up in an organized manner and uses every bit of space they have very efficiently. As for weaknesses, I don't really have any complaints. All of the personel that I dealt with were amazing, compassionate given the nature of the office, and knowledgable. You can see that they are all very dedicated to their jobs.... Lisa was very organized and quick to call you back if you had any questions. She was thorough with your care plan and made sure you understood everything before sending you off.
How was your experience with Megan Link at University of Utah?
We had a few sets backs getting the whole process started but each time, Dr. Link made sure to do follow ups and adjusted the cycle as needed. She was very thorough with descriptions and knowledgable in mine and my partner's specific case. She was pleasant to talk to and showed great compassion when going over our pregnancy history.
Go in there with your questions written down on a piece of paper and be ready to receive a ton of information but don't worry, she will always go back over it or give it to you again if you don't remember it. She also gives plenty of examples to show what to kind of expect.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Lisa Henderson)
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
The clinic itself is on the smaller side but they have it set up in an organized manner and uses every bit of space they have very efficiently. As for weaknesses, I don't really have any complaints. All of the personel that I dealt with were amazing, compassionate given the nature of the office, and knowledgable. You can see that they are all very dedicated to their jobs.
I completely agree with the single embryo transfer approach that Dr. Link takes. As someone who has high risk pregnancies, it is less riskier for something to go wrong.

2013 - 2018, Successful
Doctor Johnstone always responded promply to emails. She responded within 24 hours as advertised, but usually lots sooner. I had some bleeding early on with my first pregnancy Dr. Johnstone adjusted her schedule and got me in that morning and checked me out personally. Dr. Johnstone is a wonderful doctor and has spoiled me for other doctors. I have gone to other doctors expecting the same care and it just doesn't happen. There are few doctors as good as doctor Johnstone. I always felt like she really cared.
This clinic [Univ of Utah] is so good it has gotten very popular in the last couple of years. It takes a few months to get into. However, it is worth the wait. I called for an appointment back in January and the soonest I could get an appointment was June. Once we got in everyrhing has gone very quickly. I think they are doing the best they can to meet the patient demand. They continue to review their practices to meet their current patients needs as well as finding ways to help more and more new patients. Things are a bit busier this time, but I still feel like everyone knows who I am, why am there and I feel like they have my best interest in mind.
How was your experience with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
Go in prepared to ask questions. Doctor Johnstone will take the time to answer your questions. If you just feel clueless that is ok too. Doctor Johnstone explains things very clearly and does all that she can to make sure you understand your options and what is going on.
Dr. Johnstone was always kind, but honest about what to expect with each procedure. When results came back negative she was always the one to call me not a random nurse. I always felt like she had my best interest in mind and did all she could within her power to help us.
We started out trying IUI with clomid. My AMH levels were good so we tried this first. I responded well to clomid so we tried IUI's 3 times all resulted in negative pregnancy tests. We went on vacation and just did a clomid round that month with was also negative. The next two months we did IUI's with clomid and a couple of days of injectable medication follow by a trigger shots. Both months ended with negative pregnancy tests. A few months later I started IVF with a lupron down regulating prior to start IVF fertility meds. Also my AMH levels came back poor which resulted in me using high levels of fertility meds. When I went to my lining check most of my folicals had disappeared depite the high levels of fertility meds. That cycle was canceled and I just went in for another IUI. That cycle resulted in another negative pregnancy test. We did another IVF round this time Dr. Johns didn't have me use lupron. The cycle was much more natural, but I still used very high levels of fertility meds. They were able to retrieve 11 eggs, 10 of which fertilized, but only one made it to be a day 5 embryo. The one embryo was transferred, but still resulted in a negative pregnancy test. Following this we looked into adoption and also embryo donation. We went to another state and tried two rounds of donor embryos under another doctors care. Dr. Johnstone helped us out with all of the testing and lining checks before each frozen embryo transfer with the other doctors in another state. Doctor Johnstone was still very supportive while we worked with another doctor. One donor embryo cycle was negative and the next one ended up being a chemical pregnancy. Following that we returned to Doctor Johnstone to do IVF with donor eggs. We qualified for a guarantee program and decided to participate in it. Our first donor cycle ended before the transfer date. None of the embryos made it. We chose a second donor who backed out a few days before we started medication. We made it to our transfer date with our third donor. We had 6 five day embryos on the transfer date. We decided to transfer 2 embryos which resulted in our twins. We were able to freeze the other 4 embryos. Recently we we t back for a frozen embryo cycle which resulted in positive pregnancy tests. Right now I am taking meds and waiting for my viability scan when I reach 7 weeks pregnant. We are excited and hoping for the best. We are so greatful for all of doctor Johnstones help and support though out this journey.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Danielle Moore)
Danielle Moore and Jennifer Baxter were wonderful to work with. I got regular emails and reminders from them which helped a lot.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
This clinic is so good it has gotten very popular in the last couple of years. It takes a few months to get into. However, it is worth the wait. I called for an appointment back in January and the soonest I could get an appointment was June. Once we got in everyrhing has gone very quickly. I think they are doing the best they can to meet the patient demand. They continue to review their practices to meet their current patients needs as well as finding ways to help more and more new patients. Things are a bit busier this time, but I still feel like everyone knows who I am, why am there and I feel like they have my best interest in mind.
IUI $1,400 IVF about $9,000 IVF meds $1,500 - $5,000 Frozen embryo transfer $2,720 IVF with egg donor about $20,000
Our doctor encouraged us to only transfer one embryo when we used donor eggs. We got a little anxious once we had to choose a third egg donor and chose to transfer 2 embryos instead of the recommended 1. It was a very difficult pregnancy and doctor Johnstone was right to suggest only transferring one embryo. However, they were supportive when we chose to transfer 2.
Salt Lake City - Utah Center for Reproductive Medicine

The doctor [Dr. Erica Johnstone] will provide options for your journey, but you will need to be prepared to make decisions on how aggressive you want to be... first suggested surgery to fix my bicornuate uterus. She thought that this may have been a cause of our infertility, especially if there wasn't sufficient blood flow to the top of the uterus. I have always ovulated on my own and never had problems with my cycle, but she prescribed Clomid to increase the number of eggs that would be released, in hopes that this would increase the chance that one would be fertilized. Since we wanted to be more aggressive, she coupled this with IUI. My side effects from the Clomid were not ideal, so she switched me to Letrazole. Unfortunately, no one of the IUIs worked, but she gave me all of the options possible to maximize my chances of getting pregnant.
The University of Utah is very research-based, which I like...They [nurses] are all very sensitive to the nature of our situation, which I greatly appreciate. I also like that I can email them with my questions anytime during the week and they respond within a day...Dr. Johnstone first suggested surgery to fix my bicornuate uterus. She thought that this may have been a cause of our infertility, especially if there wasn't sufficient blood flow to the top of the uterus.
How was your experience with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
Dr. Johnstone has been amazing. I was so frustrated when I first went to see her because it felt like we had been trying to get pregnant on our own forever. She met with us to create a plan and explained what to expect during our journey. She was very matter-of-fact, but also sensitive to how we were feeling about each step. Infertility is a scary journey, but I felt very comfortable in her care.
The doctor will provide options for your journey, but you will need to be prepared to make decisions on how aggressive you want to be.
Dr. Johnstone first suggested surgery to fix my bicornuate uterus. She thought that this may have been a cause of our infertility, especially if there wasn't sufficient blood flow to the top of the uterus. I have always ovulated on my own and never had problems with my cycle, but she prescribed Clomid to increase the number of eggs that would be released, in hopes that this would increase the chance that one would be fertilized. Since we wanted to be more aggressive, she coupled this with IUI. My side effects from the Clomid were not ideal, so she switched me to Letrazole. Unfortunately, no one of the IUIs worked, but she gave me all of the options possible to maximize my chances of getting pregnant.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Molly (I think))
They are all very sensitive to the nature of our situation, which I greatly appreciate. I also like that I can email them with my questions anytime during the week and they respond within a day.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
The University of Utah is very research-based, which I like. Overall a great place for infertility treatment. My only complaint is that there isn't a clinic closer to where I live. I have to drive 2 hours each way for an appointment.
My insurance was not accepted by the UofU, so we had to pay for surgery ($1,000), IUIs ($400 x 3), etc., out of pocket. Fertility treatments are usually not covered anyway, so this was not hugely different than if we went somewhere else.
Not applicable.

2014 - 2018, Successful
Strengths: Communication, organizational skills, making you feel like a human not a number, and building a relationship with you. Weaknesses: The only one I can think of is not being able to reach them on the phone. I always have to leave a message and they [U of Utah] always call me back, and in a timely manner.... Lee Cherie is THE BEST nurse!... She is very quick at responding to my messages through MyChart.
How was your experience with Matthew Peterson at University of Utah?
Dr. Peterson is very personable and makes me feel like the current round of IVF, whither it be the 3rd or 4th, matters. Like it's the biggest thing happening in my world- because it is. He is very professional and careful to explain every move he makes when doing vaginal ultrasounds, which I appreciate because lets face it... they are awful. My husband and I have never felt uncomfortable or iffy around him. I have never felt like I was left in the dark about my care plan. He always make sure I know and understand out next steps. What sincerely impressed me- After I had my daughter, about 6 months postpartum (our only live baby from IVF) I had some uncontrollable bleeding. I went to the ER and they ran tests and wanted me to have a D&C. Because we have moved to a different state and my infertility history, I was nervous about my care plan. I called my Infertility office, The U of U, to ask the nurses what they thought about having the D&C because of the scaring that can occur with it. Instead of hearing back from the nurses, Dr. Peterson, himself called me on the phone. He requested my full ER workup papers and test results. He looked over them and he told me how to handle it moving forward. That instance spoke volumes to the kind of doctor he is and the pride he takes in patient care and his work. I would definitely recommend him to the people closest to me without hesitation.
Always go in to see him with questions and be clear about your expectations for him.
Dr. Peterson is always warm and down to earth. He knows me and my whole history. Every time we meet with him, he comes prepared with all the information and helps my Husband and I make the best decision. He always takes the time to sit and listen to our concerns and answer all of our questions. He is very honest and does not sugar coat anything but is able to deliver the facts and information kindly. He is never condescending like a lot of very intelligent people can be. He makes both my husband and I feel like he cares about us and OUR situation.
At the time of our egg retrieval I was under the care of a different doctor at the University of Utah. I hyperstimulatied really bad and was unable to do a fresh transfer. My doctor took my case to the team and from there on all 5 or so doctors knew about my history and made decisions on my case together. When I began seeing Dr. Peterson he already knew about my history. He had done his "homework" on me so I didn't have to give him the rundown of my medical history of the last 15 years. I was so thankful for that. He did not change up protocol on my FET that he preformed, however, the one he did was the one that we got a live baby out of. I do feel like he watched me closer and I had more frequent appointments and ultrasounds with him because of my history of miscarriage.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Lee Cherie Booth)
Lee Cherie is THE BEST nurse! She has been my primary nurse the entire time I have been at The U. She is very quick at responding to my messages through MyChart. She is very organized, patient with scheduling all my different appointments, and compassionate. She is excellent at communicating and helping me stay organized with my IVF schedule. I love her!
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
Strengths: Communication, organizational skills, making you feel like a human not a number, and building a relationship with you. Weaknesses: The only one I can think of is not being able to reach them on the phone. I always have to leave a message and they always call me back, and in a timely manner. So i guess it's not THAT bad of a weakness haha.
There are different plans you can choose from. I don't remember the cost of the egg retrieval. We paid a little more because we needed ICSI. An FET is right around $2700. They are very up front with their cost breakdown. In the 4.5 years we have been going there we have never had any shady billing situation come up. What has been quoted is exactly what we have paid. Prices have never been changed or raised.
Dr. Peterson presented us with the facts and percentage rates in regards to a single and double embryo transfers. He informed us of the complications and risks that can come with multiple embryo transfer. He never tried to sway us one way or another. He just gave us the facts and let us decide.

2016 - 2018, Unsuccessful
Dr. Stanford remembered us from appointment to appointment. He takes very good notes so that helps for not having to repeat our medical records every appointment. He recommended to follow the Mediterranean diet and not only focus on my fertility but in my health in general. He explained all treatments in detail and e-mail via MyChart web links for extra information and for me to do personal research.
MyChart system [U of Utah] is very good. It's easy to find information , communicate with the Dr., pay and all things involved with the treatment. For the first appointment I had to wait like 5 months but once I was a patient scheduling was very easy.... I met with a nurse practitioner (Keri Katsun) who taught me how to chart and was always available to answer my questions and even advise me on the treatment that we were following with Dr. Stanford.
How was your experience with Joseph Stanford at University of Utah?
Dr. Stanford told us at our first appointments what could be the possible causes of our infertility and he did all tests in order to rule out one by one the causes. He tried different medications as new problems were showing up and went from low to high impact treatment and drug dose. I like to do things by the book and Dr. Stanford was a perfect match for me. He and his team are very communicative, would answer questions the following day and even call on weekends to follow up. He is compassion and sympathetic. When in need to schedule for a ultrasound on a Saturday or Sunday he would work around our own schedule.
Dr. Stanford treatments can take a bit too long so you need to ask about all the options to treat your diagnose and push for higher drug's dose or faster treatment but he will always try to get down to the root of the problem and try his best to solve it. I was with him for 2 years and I think I should have look for a second opinion after the first year or year and a half. He did not suggest my husband to take any supplements which I think it could have help us a tinny bit if he has done it. All the studies and life style changes were focus on me and now I wish he had done something to improve my husbands numbers.
Dr. Stanford had me charting my cycles from the beginning which was tedious at the beginning but now I appreciate having all the information down in the charts with ultrasounds dates and blood test results. It's also 100% helpful to detect ovulation since I have PCOS and not ovulation was a possibility. He first did a hormonal panel to see my hormone levels and had me do a blood draw on day 3 of the cycle plus "day 21". After charting for few cycles he was able to detect some issues and started looking for solutions. Every month that I didn't get pregnant we tried something different. Firsts 5 cycles my mucus was not good so he suggested some supplements to improve mucus quality. He closely monitored my cycles with ultrasounds and/or blood test to detect ovulation. I did ovulate by myself all cycles. He found ovary cyst and suspected endometriosis. On the 5th cycle (with him) I had one of the cyst ruptured and he recommended a laparoscopy that I had on the 7th cycle. The following 6 cycles were supposed to be optimal for getting pregnant but it didn't happen. The laparoscopy did help with my periods pain. For about 4 cycles I had almost no pain but then I started with cramps again. On the 8th cycle, he put me on 200mg progesterone on my luteal phase since my levels were low. But that did not help a lot so 2 cycles later he gave me 400mg. On my 12th cycle I started to have mid-cycle spotting. A hysterosonogram showed no uterus polyps that could cause the spotting so on cycle 15 he put my husband and I on antibiotics (2 weeks for him 4 for me) in case was an infection. That stop the spotting for one cycle so then he put me on low doze Naltrexone around cycle 17. But this still did not solve the spotting. He repeated the hysterosonogram on cycle 22 since my periods were more painful and the spotting persist but came back all good. Although I was ovulating on my own we tried to improve ovulation with Letrozol (7.5mg once a month) starting on cycle 15. On cycle 19 I suffer from hyper-stimulation so Dr. lowered the dose on cycle 21 and 22. On cycle 23 I decided it was the last cycle with Dr. Stanford before moving on to assisted. We did a high dose of Letrozole closely monitored (as were ALL cycles) but we did not achieve a pregnancy.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at University of Utah.
I met with a nurse practitioner (Keri Katsun) who taught me how to chart and was always available to answer my questions and even advise me on the treatment that we were following with Dr. Stanford. We would meet every few months to check my chart and follow the instructions of the Creighton Model that Dr. Stanford follows. The nurses at the U are very kind and always welcome us with a smile and would remember what we talked about our personal life on previous appointments. They were good at scheduling follow up appointments.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
MyChart system is very good. It's easy to find information , communicate with the Dr., pay and all things involved with the treatment. For the first appointment I had to wait like 5 months but once I was a patient scheduling was very easy.
Since the whole treatment was due to my PCOS and endometriosis and Dr. Stanford is in network, everything was cover by my health insurance except for the monthly follow up fee that was charged when he revised my chart that I would send by e-mail and not see him in person that month.

IUI With Other Docs
He [Dr. Hotaling] was not very personal, and we saw his NP more often than him. I wasn't too impressed with his bedside manner, but still would refer him to others because his care was good and got us the desired outcome.... Due to my low sperm count and motility, he put my on Clomid. I've been taking 50mg every other day for a few months. His NP explained to me before-hand that it would take about 3 months for my sperm count to reflect the improvements, and that was correct.
The entire clinic [University of Utah] felt more like a machine, and less patient-based than other clinics I've been to. No one seemed to remember me or recall my care plan, despite a few calls and appointments. The clinic was however clean, inviting, and felt reputable.... We have had a few mixups with medications, and labs being ordered. But the staff was kind and seemed knowledgable, just not all the way put together.
How was your experience with James Hotaling at University of Utah?
He was not very personal, and we saw his NP more often than him. I wasn't too impressed with his bedside manner, but still would refer him to others because his care was good and got us the desired outcome.
Just know that he's not going to be the most compassionate, but is known for being the best male-factor infertility doctors around.
He was in and out of the appointment quickly. Felt more like the answers to our questions should have been obvious, and he just wanted to move onto treatment and not discuss things as much.
Due to my low sperm count and motility, he put my on Clomid. I've been taking 50mg every other day for a few months. His NP explained to me before-hand that it would take about 3 months for my sperm count to reflect the improvements, and that was correct. I've continued taking it once my counts improved, as we continue treatments for my wife.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
The entire clinic felt more like a machine, and less patient-based than other clinics I've been to. No one seemed to remember me or recall my care plan, despite a few calls and appointments. The clinic was however clean, inviting, and felt reputable.
I don't really remember costs. They seemed to be as we anticipated for specialist visits. The medications prescribed have been reasonably priced.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at University of Utah.
The biggest mistake I've experienced was with some lab work. Dr. Hotaling ordered a set of labs to check my levels after having been on clomid. When I went into this clinic to have them drawn, not all the labs were performed, and this wasn't noticed until a week or two after it was complete. I then had to take time off work again to get another blood draw because the one test was missed.
James Hotaling