LGBTQ+ Competent Care
LGBTQ+ Competent Care

Based on reviews from the LGBTQ+ community.

LGBTQ+ Care

Ratings of 1 indicate an unsatisfactory LGBTQ+ care.

Ratings of 10 indicate an excellent LGBTQ+ care.

4444 Forest Park Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63108
3023 N. Ballas Road
St. Louis, MO 63131

2021 - 2022, Unknown Success
My experience with Dr. Omurtag has been outstanding...he has made sure that all of our questions have been answered and explains everything very thoroughly. He also allows me to be an active participant in my care...He can also speak to research/data which is important because he is able to provide an explanation as to why abc will work and xyz won’t. While I wish I didn’t have to see Dr. Omurtag, I can’t imagine using any other physician for infertility.
My [Washington University School of Medicine - St. Louis] clinic is very organized and communicates promptly. The staff is extremely friendly and I’m always greeted by name when checking in with reception. The clinic is associated with a teaching hospital, so I’ve found they don’t really offer treatments that don’t have much backing by research. They are however willing to refer you somewhere else to get those treatments if you so wish.
How was your experience with Kenan Omurtag at Washington University School of Medicine?
My experience with Dr. Omurtag has been outstanding. He truly understands that infertility affects many aspects of a patients life and acknowledges it as well. Each time my husband and I have met with Dr. Omurtag he has made sure that all of our questions have been answered and explains everything very thoroughly. He also allows me to be an active participant in my care, and has never told me yes/no without looking through my chart to determine what is the best course of action. He can also speak to research/data which is important because he is able to provide an explanation as to why abc will work and xyz won’t. While I wish I didn’t have to see Dr. Omurtag, I can’t imagine using any other physician for infertility.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kenan Omurtag at Washington University School of Medicine?
Have questions ready to ask at appointments, he really wants to make sure you’re an active participant in your care and that you understand the process.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kenan Omurtag at Washington University School of Medicine?
Every time I’ve gone to my clinic I’m greeted by the receptionist by name. Anytime when working directly with Dr. Omurtag, he addresses both my husband and I by name and even asks about our toddler. I always feel I have ample time to ask any questions I have and never feel rushed.
Describe the protocols Kenan Omurtag used in your cycles at Washington University School of Medicine and their degree of success.
If I remember correctly, we used an antagonist cycle for my first egg retrieval. Based on my labs and antral follicle count, he thought I would respond well to that protocol, and I did. We then did a fresh transfer that resulted in a chemical pregnancy, so we ran more labs and found out I may have APS. Due to the possible APS diagnosis, we added in a blood thinner (lovenox) and a baby aspirin to my frozen embryo transfer protocol. Sadly that transfer ended in an ectopic pregnancy. We’re currently waiting for my cycle to do some more testing prior to starting another egg retrieval cycle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Kathy)
I have nothing but good things to say about the nursing staff at my clinic. My primary nurse is Kathy, but I have worked with others as well. They are all very caring and have called to check in after different procedures. They are extremely communicative as well, I have never waited more than a few hours for a response to my questions through mychart.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
My clinic is very organized and communicates promptly. The staff is extremely friendly and I’m always greeted by name when checking in with reception. The clinic is associated with a teaching hospital, so I’ve found they don’t really offer treatments that don’t have much backing by research. They are however willing to refer you somewhere else to get those treatments if you so wish.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kenan Omurtag at Washington University School of Medicine.
I’m extremely lucky and have insurance coverage at 100% for IVF once my deductible has been met, so it’s hard to determine the exact cost.
Describe Kenan Omurtag's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Washington University School of Medicine.
Due to my age/my husband’s age and our diagnosis, we will only transfer one egg/transfer.
St. Louis - Central West End
[Dr. Omurtag] was very upfront and honest with us, from the initial consult to the last appointment we had before we graduated to my regular OB-Gyn. He was clear about the odds of actually conceiving, given our DOR/MFI and age issues, and did not get our hopes up. Our first retrieval/transfer resulted in a chemical pregnancy. We spent 30 minutes discussing how we'd change the protocol for the second attempt, and another 20 minutes talking about the pros/cons/possible necessity of donor eggs if we had a repeat issue with the second retrieval/transfer. Lastly, he was so excited when our betas came back positive - and after our graduation appointment - that he texted my regular OB-Gyn to let her know we were headed her way. He's a regular human being, who feels this process with his patients, and is with you every step of the way.
Just know that none of the docs within the WashU program are super patient-forward. You'll communicate with their nurses and receptionists, but these are amazing people who have no problem getting to the doctor, and getting back to you...She [nurse] had all the answers to my questions, was super-prompt at getting back to me, and if she needed an answer from [Dr. Omurtag], still called back within an hour or so. I could not have asked for a better person to communicate with throughout this process.
Kenan was very upfront and honest with us, from the initial consult to the last appointment we had before we graduated to my regular OB-Gyn. He was clear about the odds of actually conceiving, given our DOR/MFI and age issues, and did not get our hopes up. Our first retrieval/transfer resulted in a chemical pregnancy. We spent 30 minutes discussing how we'd change the protocol for the second attempt, and another 20 minutes talking about the pros/cons/possible necessity of donor eggs if we had a repeat issue with the second retrieval/transfer. Lastly, he was so excited when our betas came back positive - and after our graduation appointment - that he texted my regular OB-Gyn to let her know we were headed her way. He's a regular human being, who feels this process with his patients, and is with you every step of the way.
Kenan knew exactly what was going on with us at every step of the way. His staff (receptionist and nurse) were really great to work with, and answered all of our questions. Like everyone going through the infertility nightmare, we were a special snowflake case. He knew the details, day in and day out, and was hugely supportive.
We started with an estrogen primer, followed by five days of Letrozole. From there, I added in 150 Follistim. Eventually, we added Ganirelix, with an HcG trigger.
Kathy is amazing! She had all the answers to my questions, was super-prompt at getting back to me, and if she needed an answer from Kenan, still called back within an hour or so. I could not have asked for a better person to communicate with throughout this process.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
The front desk staff are great, the techs who do the blood draws are kind and compassionate, and the medical staff (doctors) we interacted with were really good at their jobs. If there's a weakness, it's that you don't have much direct contact with your doctor beyond the initial consult and testing, and the post-beta testing. For most of the treatment period, you're talking with the doctor's receptionist and nurse. Your doctor is still closely following your progress - you just don't talk with him/her.
We were ridiculously fortunate to have coverage through both my insurance and my husband's insurance. We paid under $3,000 for both IVF protocols.
Because of my age, we planned to do fresh 3-day transfers. We transferred every embryo we had at that point (4 the first time, 3 the second).

Embryo Freezing With Other Docs
Dr. Jungheim constantly has our best interest at heart. You can tell she genuinely cares about my husband and I's struggle with infertility and she is constantly finding ways/different options for us to make it possible to have a baby...She has personally called me before, spending 30+ minutes on the phone, talking about diagnoses and the treatment plan from there...personally called our insurance company and fought with them explaining why this step in the IVF process is medically necessary for my husband and I
They sometimes offer drinks [at Washington University School of Medicine] while we wait, if it is going to be a a while. The office, patient rooms, and labs are all very clean. The front desk women are always very nice and courteous. I cannot think of a weakness, unless some want to count the occasional phone call missed or the clinic running behind, but again, they always update us and things happen.
How was your experience with Emily Jungheim at Washington University School of Medicine?
Dr. Jungheim cares for her patients. She has personally called me before, spending 30+ minutes on the phone, talking about diagnoses and the treatment plan from there. She makes me feel like she cares about me and my need to have a baby. My husband and I are both CF carriers, so we determined, along with Dr. Jungheim that PGD/PGS would have to be done to ensure that the CF gene is not passed along to our children. Long story short, insurance DENIED the PGD/PGS, however Dr. Jungheim personally called our insurance company and fought with them explaining why this step in the IVF process is medically necessary for my husband and I, to only have my insure company approve it. I strongly believe Dr. Jungheim would do this for any of her patients and I know that she cares for me.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Emily Jungheim at Washington University School of Medicine?
See her, if you are facing infertility. She will not only figure out the best course of treatment for you, but will fight for you, until she finds something that will work. She is constantly willing to think of new ways to help my husband and I and she explains everything, in and out, regardless of how long it takes. There is never a rush with her, while she is talking to me, and that makes me feel so important.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Emily Jungheim at Washington University School of Medicine?
Describe the protocols Emily Jungheim used in your cycles at Washington University School of Medicine and their degree of success.
First, Dr. Jungheim felt it to be necessary to get a genetic screening on me, as my husband was already a known CF carrier. We all thought nothing of it, that I would be fine, but the screening did also say I was a CF carrier as well. Dr. Jungheim is the one to make that call, and I can't think her enough for it, as we could have passed that disease along and it would've been awful. So, we are currently in the middle of the PGD/PGS development. We spoke with Dr. Jungheim about 3 weeks ago, regarding the details, as we cannot proceed with any cycles until we get confirmation that the development was complete, however it could be at anytime now. So, she put me on birth control at that time. This will help knowing right where I am in my cycle, so we are able to start/stop things if needed right away. She also put me on a prenatal vitamin just to help get my body ready. Once the development of the PGD/PGS is confirmed, I will start my medication for stimulation. cannot remember exactly which ones I will be on, but I know she said roughly I will be on meds for about 14 days before the egg retrieval. From there, the embryos will be made and grow for 6 days. At that time, the surviving embryos will be biopsied and frozen. The biopsies themselves will be sent to the company for the PGD/PGS and we will wait about 2 weeks to hear if any of those embryos are medically clear for transfer. If there are more than 1, we will keep them frozen, as we are only implanting one.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Kate, Melanie)
All of the nursing staff at the office is great. They are usually very quick on calling back, to answer questions. My clinic also has an online patient portal, and if I get impatient, I also write them via the portal, and they are also quick to respond on that as well. They are all very sweet, and just like Dr. Jungheim, I can tell that they care for the patients.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
They are always on time, and if they rent, they are sure to update me and apologize. They sometimes offer drinks while we wait, if it is going to be a a while. The office, patient rooms, and labs are all very clean. The front desk women are always very nice and courteous. I cannot think of a weakness, unless some want to count the occasional phone call missed or the clinic running behind, but again, they always update us and things happen.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Emily Jungheim at Washington University School of Medicine.
I am still in the procees, so no bills have come to us yet. I have had a Saline Sonogram, which the bill was around $2,000, but I only had to pay $35 after inuracne. I do know that the PGD/PGS development will cost around $6,000, meds will cost anywhere between $3,500-$4,500 and the IVF procedures themselves which also have to include ICSI, freezing of the embryos, etc will be about $10,000, if not more.
Describe Emily Jungheim's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Washington University School of Medicine.
Dr. Jungheim, and the rest of her clinic, are very reluctant on transferring multiple embryos. Of course, it depends on the mothers age, and other health concerns, but for me, Dr. Jungheim explained that I am otherwise healthy and also with my husband and I having to go through PGD/PDS, there is a high likelyhood that the one embryo that we implant, will take. I fully trust herin this. Dr. Jugheim explained, that transferring 2 embryos does not necessarily increase the risk of pregnancy, as if one embryo wants to take, it'll take, but transferring two embryos does increase the chance for multiples, which then becomes high risk.
Emily Jungheim

Surrogacy With Other Docs
Dr. Ratts is just the right amount of confident, sophisticated, humbled, respectful, and kind doctor...made us feel as if we were her only patients...even created a plan that works concurrently with my military training...used laymen terms that were easily understood, but continued to check in frequently throughout to make sure we were understanding
[Washington University School of Medicine]...strengths....medical professionals who can diagnose and treat a wide range of fertility, and reproduction conditions...advanced medical equipment and technologies...offer a range of services...one-stop solution for all healthcare needs...team of experienced and knowledgeable healthcare professionals
How was your experience with Valerie Ratts at Washington University School of Medicine?
Dr. Ratts is just the right amount of confident, sophisticated, humbled, respectful, and kind doctor. My husband and I had previously met with Dr. Odem, and just after the consult and first appointment, we retired. We were so nervous about having a new doctor. So many questions, "Will this doctor be as good?" "Will this doctor know how to help us? We were also concerned if the new doctor was going to be compassionate. But quickly, just after the first few moments, Dr. Ratts was personable. She spoke with poise and confidence, and she made us feel as if we were her only patients. Due to military training, my husband and I both had to take a significant pause in our planning. However, on our first appointment back after quite some time, she remembered exactly who we were and had created the perfect plan for us. we are so grateful to have Dr. Ratts and her team at Washington University lead our fertility care.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Valerie Ratts at Washington University School of Medicine?
Make sure you get Dr. Ratts she is incredible!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Valerie Ratts at Washington University School of Medicine?
Dr. Ratts made us feel very welcomed. She had a big smile on her face and greeted us immediately. She appeared to be so excited to meet us as if she had known us a long time. She identified us and addressed us by our first name, she never spoke at us or told us what we were doing, she asked for our feedback, opinions, and was dedicated to finding out our wants and desired outcome. After getting to know what we wanted she then utilized visuals to walk us through every single detail and step of our plan. She used laymen terms that were easily understood, but continued to check in frequently throughout to make sure we were understanding or offered to answer any questions we had. She made us feel comfortable, accepted ,safe and confident that she can help us in building our family.
Describe the protocols Valerie Ratts used in your cycles at Washington University School of Medicine and their degree of success.
Dr. Ratts suggested that we start with another consult/initial appointment. Rationale: It has been three years, and it's important to make sure our lab work, hormones, semen analysis, and all the things are still in good standing. Dr. Ratts also suggested freezing our embryos. Rationale: We want to implement using a family member as our gestational carrier, and the one we have in mind has yet to be confirmed. We shared fears that we were getting older. Although Dr. Ratts does not consider me a geriatric mother quite yet, she suggested freezing, so therefore whenever we have decided on a gestational carrier, we are ready for the transfer and to help relieve the pressure and stress off us. Dr. Ratts then even created a plan that works concurrently with my military training. Again, to help relieve any pressure or unnecessary steps. She has been reassuring us that a baby is what we want and a baby is what she will do her very best to make happen!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Erin)
The best quality, thus far, in our nursing care is communication. Our nurse has been extremely prompt with her replies, always answers with accurate and proficient answers and resources.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
As a user, I believe that the clinic has several strengths. Firstly, they provide access to medical professionals who can diagnose and treat a wide range of fertility, and reproduction conditions. This clinic is often equipped with advanced medical equipment and technologies, which enable doctors and nurses to provide high-quality care to their patients. Additionally, WASHU is located in urban areas, making it easily accessible for people who live nearby. They also offer a range of services, such as routine check-ups, and lab tests, making them a one-stop solution for all healthcare needs. Lastly, the clinic has a team of experienced and knowledgeable healthcare professionals who work together to ensure that patients receive the best possible care.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Valerie Ratts at Washington University School of Medicine.
They appear to be reasonably priced, and compared to the research my husband and I have conducted, the prices are equally matched with all other fertility clinics and procedures.
Describe Valerie Ratts's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Washington University School of Medicine.
Dr. Ratts suggested we take the best three to help strengthen our chances of success.
Valerie Ratts

2023, Successful
Dr. Omurtag has an excellent bedside manner, every encouraging and cautiously optimistic. He always gave us an opportunity to ask questions and provided us detailed answers and options. When issues arose, he addressed them swiftly and effectively...Do not expect to see him frequently. One doctor has so much time, but they have a team of great doctors that perform high level of fertility treatments/procedures.
The [Washington University School of Medicine] clerical part could use some improvement. All the doctors and nurses were excellent and hard to find weaknesses. It is good to know WashU works with BJC so expect split billing and working with that network of doctors too...[nursing staff] Very compassionate, attentive to messages through the app. There were times of miscommunication but those were addressed.
We were always listened to, ask if we had questions and always treated us for our case and what our options were
We first started off a slightly modified IVF from our first Doctor (IVF med dosages). We then tried natural cycles and then FETs. We then completed an assay and pointed to increasing progesterone during the cycle may help. We also elected to genetic testing since we were in the unexplained category.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Washington University School of Medicine.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
The clerical part could use some improvement. All the doctors and nurses were excellent and hard to find weaknesses. It is good to know WashU works with BJC so expect split billing and working with that network of doctors too.
IVF for us was around $20-$25k, genetic testing another $2k.
None
What specific things went wrong at Washington University School of Medicine?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Washington University School of Medicine.
We encountered a nurse telling us incorrect results initially which would have changed our protocol. Luckily, the results were posted in the app and my wife pointed them out. It was quickly solved, but attention to detail was lacking in that specific case.

2022, Unsuccessful
LGBTQ+
Dr. Omurtag was very welcoming and made me and my partner feel comfortable and “normal”. We talked to him about our hopes and he was able to listen and guide us to the right path for us. He is extremely knowledgeable, honest about results and easy to communicate with...He was hopeful and positive and made me feel comfortable...He was down to earth, easy to have a conversation with and honest about possible outcomes.
The [Washington University School of Medicine] clinic was clean, organized and ran very efficiently. The staff was all extremely kind which makes a huge difference. I never got the results that I wanted from my egg retrieval or our transfer but they were kind and caring...The staff was all welcoming and respectful. At times I feel uncomfortable around doctors or nurses but never felt that way at Wash U. They were excited for my wife and I and made us feel very comfortable.
We have only met with Dr. Omurtag once at the beginning of our journey. He was down to earth, easy to have a conversation with and honest about possible outcomes. He was hopeful and positive and made me feel comfortable. Unfortunately our IVF cycle was not successful and we need to try again. We meet with Dr. Omurtag again next week.
Any person going through fertility treatments I would say be patient and know your journey may follow a different path that what you expected. I was naive and thought I would have multiple chances of having a child through one IVF cycle but the sad reality was we only got one embryo.
Everyone at the office has been extremely kind and patient with us. They have walked us through every step of the way. Before my trigger shot one of the nurses was on the phone with me for 45 minutes to make sure I completely understood all of the medicine and instructions. I get overwhelmed easily with doctors and don’t always feel comfortable asking questions to better understand. However with this office they have always made me feel comfortable, gone above and beyond to educate me and assist me along the way. Everyone in the office has been kind, helpful and happy.
We used an agonist protocol. The medicine listed below were what I was prescribed. Gonal-F 900 units pen - 2 pens Menopur 75 units - 10 vials Ganerelix 250 mcg injection - 6 boxes Leuprolide trigger shot - 1 shot (the pharmacy may send a 2 week kit in place of the single shot) Novarel 5,000 unit injection - 2 box/es Birth control pills 1 pack I only went through the egg retrieval process as my wife and I are doing reciprocal IVF so she will be the one to carry the baby. I produced 8 eggs at the time of retrieval. Out of those 8 only 5 made it to where they could be fertilized. They attempted to fertilize my eggs with two different methods. One where they sprinkle sperm by the egg and the sperm swim to the egg to fertilize it and the other was to inject the sperm right into the egg. I only had one embryo form and it was from the first method.
How competent was Kenan Omurtag at LGBTQ+ care?
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Kate)
All of the nurses were super friendly and kind. They were patient in explaining results and instructions. They always made me feel comfortable and informed.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
The clinic was clean, organized and ran very efficiently. The staff was all extremely kind which makes a huge difference. I never got the results that I wanted from my egg retrieval or our transfer but they were kind and caring.
My insurance did not cover fertility. Medication was around $2500 for my part. We paid around 7,000 for the egg retrieval itself. We have paid around $20,000 from start to finish. They were upfront about the cost and mailed out an informational sheet that explained everything. We met with the financial team to get cleared before we started.
How competent was Washington University School of Medicine at LGBTQ+ care?
Describe your experience using 3rd party reproduction (donor eggs, donor sperm, or gestational carrier) at Washington University School of Medicine.
This was super easy. We used California Cryo Bank. We called them and asked for our donor sperm to be sent to Wash U and Wash U confirmed the order with us.

2022, Unknown Success
Surrogacy With Other Docs
[Dr. Jimenez] is available for early and late appointments to work around my work. She also takes the time to talk to me as a person about what I am going through as I am going through it. She walks me and my husband through everything every time so we feel confident as we go through the process...She used the slow meds process with the 21 days of birth control followed by about 9 days of lupron about a week of stimulation drugs and the trigger shot
[Washington University School of Medicine is] Very quick at getting back to you. Willing to answer questions. All the staff is great to work with from nursing, ultrasound, lab, doctors operating room and everyone in between. They always try to work around my work schedule so I am not missing to much work for my lab/ultrasound appointments since its 3 hours of driving for me for a 20 minute appointment and that is appreciated
How was your experience with Patricia Jimenez at Washington University School of Medicine?
She is available for early and late appointments to work around my work. She also takes the time to talk to me as a person about what I am going through as I am going through it. She walks me and my husband through everything every time so we feel confident as we go through the process.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Patricia Jimenez at Washington University School of Medicine?
To chose her if you can as your provider
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Patricia Jimenez at Washington University School of Medicine?
She has listed to all of my concerns in this difficult time, she has answered all of my questions. She has strived to make me and my spouse feel comfortable thru the entire process and every cycle answering the same questions every cycle.
Describe the protocols Patricia Jimenez used in your cycles at Washington University School of Medicine and their degree of success.
She used the slow meds process with the 21 days of birth control followed by about 9 days of lupron about a week of stimulation drugs and the trigger shot. Since I only have 1 ovary and don't actually have a period we wanted to do a cycle that my body could react better to. we had 2 very successful retrievals so far and are hoping for the same with the third. My body has responded well to the first 2 with minimal side effects.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Kate/Crystal)
Great at answering my questions and concerns as well as getting back to me quickly.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Patricia Jimenez at Washington University School of Medicine.
My insurance covered a portion of this so I had to pay for the medications and genetic testing of embryos, freezing of embryos and husbands costs as well as copays. Unsure of total costs
Describe Patricia Jimenez's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Washington University School of Medicine.
We did genetic testing on our embryos to rule out as many issues as we could and to eliminate more stress on our future carrier with all of the meds and possible failed transfers with not so great embryos. With tested embryos there is a higher chance to split so doing a DET vs SET is not an option for us so we really never discussed it with our Dr due to the unsafe nature of it on our carrier or babies.
What specific things went wrong at Washington University School of Medicine?
Just a mix up in if appointment was a lab only appointment or lab and ultrasound appointment so I had to wait a little longer then normal.
2017 - 2022, Successful
Dr Omurtag is knowledgeable and compassionate. He has a great bedside manner...he was always available for questions and explained everything in great detail. He was upfront about possible out of pocket costs and wanted to make sure we were prepared. He is a very visual person and likes to draw pictures to help you understand. But he really felt more like you were talking to a friend than a doctor...He does follow ASRM guidelines very strictly so if you are someone that wants to transfer more than one at a time. This may not be the place for you...
The clinic [Washington University School of Medicine] itself does not feel very personable, it’s a clinic within a very busy medical school/hospital system so they see A LOT of patients. Hard for them to get to know anyone. They do have a lot of fellows that you may see throughout your appointments and they are very friendly...They didn’t seem to read the doctors past notes. At one point I had a hysteroscopy and was scheduled to do an IUI the following week. They didn’t call in my clomid so I had to call and ask for it and the nurse was confused because she didn’t realize I was also doing an IUI...
We had to do so many procedures and tests on top of IUI and IVF, he was always available for questions and explained everything in great detail. He was upfront about possible out of pocket costs and wanted to make sure we were prepared. He is a very visual person and likes to draw pictures to help you understand. But he really felt more like you were talking to a friend than a doctor.
I highly recommend him. He does follow ASRM guidelines very strictly so if you are someone that wants to transfer more than one at a time. This may not be the place for you
Dr Omurtag is knowledgeable and compassionate. He has a great bedside manner.
I did an HSG before starting anything. Then multiple clomid IUI cycles. Had to do a hysteroscopy with dilation due to difficulty getting the IUI catheter through my cervix. Then moved on to IVF. We did a long agonist protocol, with a fresh transfer which failed. So then did an endosee procedure. Then a frozen transfer than failed. And most recently transferred our last frozen embryo that stuck! For the frozen transfers he ordered estradiol three times a day and PIO daily.
Kathy didn’t always seem very compassionate, I don’t think she likes talking on the phone. Jessie (administrative assistant) was amazing and was always upbeat and a joy to talk to.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
The clinic itself does not feel very personable, it’s a clinic within a very busy medical school/hospital system so they see A LOT of patients. Hard for them to get to know anyone. They do have a lot of fellows that you may see throughout your appointments and they are very friendly.
IUIs were 500 without insurance. But 50 with it. A cycle with Egg retrieval and fresh transfer was 15-20k without insurance. I think I paid about 2k A frozen transfer without insurance was 4700 but with insurance was 200
They follow ASRM guidelines so they will not do an elective multiple embryo transfer unless there is a good medical reason to do so.
What specific things went wrong at Washington University School of Medicine?
They didn’t seem to read the doctors past notes. At one point I had a hysteroscopy and was scheduled to do an IUI the following week. They didn’t call in my clomid so I had to call and ask for it and the nurse was confused because she didn’t realize I was also doing an IUI. They also didn’t seem to believe me when I told them there were problems with my cervix in the past and said we would assess it after the first IUI. Thankfully my doctor took care of this pretty quickly after that first IUI.
2022, Consult
I felt like Dr. Omurtag really took the time to address mine and my husbands concerns. He guided us through the entire process and was available any time we had questions. I felt like he was well prepared and knew my history well prior to the initial consultation...He let you know which appointments you would see him in person and when he would be more behind the scenes. He was thorough in review of all your information and available for questions when needed...
The nursing staff [at Washington University School of Medicine] was very caring and responsive. They all were excellent and prompt communicators...The billing dept was upfront about out of pocket costs prior to any procedures...Their strengths were communication, availability, compassion and timeliness. The staff were extremely caring and informative with every step of the process...
Dr. Omurtag was very personable. He was upfront about his entire team and their roles throughout the evaluation process. He let you know which appointments you would see him in person and when he would be more behind the scenes. He was thorough in review of all your information and available for questions when needed. I felt like I was very well taken care of.
Come into your appointment with all questions and concerns. Dr. Omurtag will ensure they are addressed.
I felt like Dr. Omurtag really took the time to address mine and my husbands concerns. He guided us through the entire process and was available any time we had questions. I felt like he was well prepared and knew my history well prior to the initial consultation. When I found out I was pregnant without intervention, he did not hesitate to keep me on for the initial part of my pregnancy to monitor and ensure a warm handoff to my primary OB.
Initially we ran lab tests and SHS to rule out any underlying causes of recurrent pregnancy loss. I happened to get pregnant spontaneously after these were completed. If I hadn’t become pregnant, the next step was IUI for 3 cycles. If those were to be unsuccessful, then I would have met with Dr. Omurtag again to discuss other options.
The nursing staff was very caring and responsive. They all were excellent and prompt communicators.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
I personally didn’t experience anything negative when working with this clinic. Their strengths were communication, availability, compassion and timeliness. The staff were extremely caring and informative with every step of the process.
I had my copayment for specialty services under my general health insurance. The billing dept was upfront about out of pocket costs prior to any procedures. I would have had to pay out of pocket for iui if it were pursued.

2019 - 2021, Successful
Dr. Omurtag took his time with us and never made us feel rushed. He always answered all of our questions and put our minds at ease. He never made us feel pressured. He would lay out our options, offer his thoughts and let us ultimately make decisions. He was compassionate, understanding and was on our team in ultimately wanting us to have a baby no matter how we got there. He was always willing to even talk through things over the phone when we had questions or concerns outside of appointments.
The clinic [Washington University School of Medicine] is extremely responsive and organized. They respond to electronic messages in a timely manner. You don’t feel like a number and feel like they truly care! Our expectations were far exceeded...staff are responsive, patient and truly care. Jessie is amazing with quick response in regard to scheduling and always is reassuring when you speak with her. Kate and Kathy are wonderful nurse coordinators... so patient with answering questions and very responsive...
Don’t be afraid to ask questions. Dr. Omurtag is always patient and never makes you feel like any question is a bad question or concern.
His staff are responsive, patient and truly care. Jessie is amazing with quick response in regard to scheduling and always is reassuring when you speak with her. Kate and Kathy are wonderful nurse coordinators... so patient with answering questions and very responsive. Zejna is the best of the best with drawing blood, makes it a breeze!! Lee and Jackie are so compassionate and take the extra time to walk you through meds and how to best use. This team truly cares about YOU and is the best partner I could have ever imagined for fertility treatment!
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
The clinic is extremely responsive and organized. They respond to electronic messages in a timely manner. You don’t feel like a number and feel like they truly care! Our expectations were far exceeded and I’d recommend Omurtag’s team.

2020, Unknown Success
Cancer
Embryo Freezing With Other Docs (cancer)
Dr. Omurtag spent over an hour on Zoom with me explaining all the details of the fertility medications, retrieval process, etc. he was very well-informed and constantly asked if we had any questions. He also drew out pictures to make things very clear. He set me up with his nurse who has been in constant contact with me since...helped facilitate my treatment with another doctor due to Covid-19. He wanted the best care for me and allowed me to do ultrasounds and bloodwork in my hometown, rather than drive 2 hours to his clinic. He reassured me that I was getting great care and answered all my questions clearly.
The cost of one egg retrieval [at Washington University School of Medicine] and making them into embryos is approximately $8,000. They have suggested I do two cycles because after my cancer treatment, I may not be able to conceive naturally. Storing the frozen embryos is approximately $450 a year...Everyone is very organized and kind. The clinic has excellent communication skills and all questions are clearly answered. They make you feel like you belong and aren’t just another patient at the clinic. They care about you.
Dr. Omurtag helped facilitate my treatment with another doctor due to Covid-19. He wanted the best care for me and allowed me to do ultrasounds and bloodwork in my hometown, rather than drive 2 hours to his clinic. He reassured me that I was getting great care and answered all my questions clearly.
He is very informative and friendly. He makes sure you understand everything and doesn’t move on if you have questions.
I am on an antagonist cycle. I’m doing 3 injectable medications daily. I get ultrasounds and bloodwork done approximately every other day. He updated my online profile very quickly so I know the results of my lab tests.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Mary)
Mary has called me nearly every day with updates, advice, or just to check in. She’s been absolutely amazing and has answered any and all questions that I have. She is readily available at all times. She got me set up with several programs so my medications would be cheaper. She is in contact with the fertility doctors in my hometown so I have appointments when necessary and get results quickly. I’d be lost without Mary!
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
The cost of one egg retrieval and making them into embryos is approximately $8,000. They have suggested I do two cycles because after my cancer treatment, I may not be able to conceive naturally. Storing the frozen embryos is approximately $450 a year. Medications not covered by grants were approximately $600.
St. Louis - Missouri Baptist Med Center

be assured that if it doesn't work the first time, Dr Omurtag will review and adjust to try again...my first cycle was a short protocol, with 9 days of stim medications of Gonal-f, Menopur, and cetrotide. we retrieved 9 eggs, but most of them were not mature. the 2nd cycle we changed to a long agonist protocol with lupron, Gonal-F, and Menopur. we retrieved 17 eggs, 15 were mature...our 1st cycle we transferred 2, because of the low quality and low numbers we retrieved. the 2nd time, because we had so many embryos, we only transferred 1
everyone was always on the same page for my care [at Washington University School of Medicine], and where is was in my treatment, as well as having full knowledge of any information given or questions asked. i never had to repeat myself, or remind anyone on the team where i was with treatment, or what had been talked about previously...most of my monitoring was done at a secondary location, but all appointments were quick, in and out.
with this clinic, its a group effort, so while i may not have seen my direct doctor, i was always aware of who would be handling each procedure. i was introduced to each doctor, and everything was explained in detail, with a chance to ask questions and confirm understanding. i never waited for a doctor to show up.
be assured that if it doesn't work the first time, Dr Omurtag will review and adjust to try again with success .
my first name was used at all times, without referring to paperwork to ensure it was correct. i was given a voice in all transactions, and decisions were made with me, not for me.
everyone was always on the same page for my care, and where is was in my treatment, as well as having full knowledge of any information given or questions asked. i never had to repeat myself, or remind anyone on the team where i was with treatment, or what had been talked about previously
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
the clinic is highly organized, and efficient. the only downside for me personally was that they were over 200 miles away from where i live. a lot of communication had to be done by phone, text or patientchart. there was never a lack of communication, even with that being true.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Washington University School of Medicine.
most of my costs were covered by insurance, but it was hard to nail down an exact number, or cost for anything. i contacted billing several times without an answer. if i were paying out of pocket, this would have been very concerning.
St. Louis - Missouri Baptist Med Center

Dr Jaminez is clear on what is safe. She also understands our wants and needs and we come to a happy end result of how many to transfer...called to personally talk to us. She always remembered who we were, remembered our personalities, and our expectations...She is friendly, caring, professional...The 2nd IVF cycle resulted in 5 day 5 embryos. We transferred 2 fresh embryos and neither of those resulted in a pregnancy. We are currently waiting to proceed with a FET.
We transferred 2 fresh embryos [at Washington University School of Medicine] and neither of those resulted in a pregnancy. We are currently waiting to proceed with a FET...She [nurse] responds to calls and emails quickly. She goes above her job duties and even met me with some medication when there was an issue with our prescription provider so our cycle wouldn't be canceled...FET will cost right under $5,000. The office gave me a breakdown of the costs.
She is friendly, caring, professional. She listens to our needs, wants, desires. She also is clear on what the right path is, safely, for mother and potential babies. There is good communication and understanding from both patient and doctor.
You dont see Dr Jaminez at every appointment. You mostly are in contact with her nursing staff, but they are in constant contact with the dr. They are the best!
Dr Jaminez called to personally talk to us. She always remembered who we were, remembered our personalities, and our expectations.
I have done 2 long analytical cycles for IVF. The first resulted in 3 day 5 embryos. We transferred 2 fresh embryos that didnt take. We went right into a FET, that didnt take either. The 2nd IVF cycle resulted in 5 day 5 embryos. We transferred 2 fresh embryos and neither of those resulted in a pregnancy. We are currently waiting to proceed with a FET.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Denice)
Denice is AMAZING!!!! She responds to calls and emails quickly. She goes above her job duties and even met me with some medication when there was an issue with our prescription provider so our cycle wouldn't be canceled. She's the BEST!!!
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
The clinic is great. They have a team of doctors that meet every Tuesday afternoon to discuss the weeks cases and review any upcoming cycles. I honestly cant think of any weakness. They are all so friendly and caring.
I had great insurance for my first 2 retrievals and transfers, so our costs were minimal compared to others. Right now I have new insurance and am fighting to get treatment approved. If it is not, a FET will cost right under $5,000. The office gave me a breakdown of the costs.
LGBTQ+
[Dr. Omurtag] suggested which is best considering my age SET. I JUST FOLLOWED HIM.But also told if you want 2 we can do that but explained pros and cons...He is very free and always encourages me or my husband to ask questions so that we can learn...I am with him for my first IVF Cycle which was successful and was on some birth control pills for 3 weeks and after that on lupron and in my menstrual cycle after start of lupron for 4 days. Then started follistim and couple days later on Menopur
[the Washington U nurse team are] always very quick and detail in answering your question. I bother them for every small doubts and now I feel some are very silly. but they never lost their patience...total cost including my pre screening tests and consultation is $ 17,500 out of this 15,900 is for IVF...they are pretty good with the time/schedule. Some times if the flow is more they need extra person to check in but that's nothing
He is incredible and amazing and no words to describe how good he is. I wish I would have known him 5 years before but after I met him I was only very short term with him less than 3 months. He is the best. I was confident with the first 2 visits itself the way he rule in and out the pros and cons. The best of him is he encourages to ask questions and so that we can feel free to express our doubts/questions.
just trust him and follow what ever he say regarding your treatment because he is the expert.
i am blessed to find this doctor and felt like my close family when ever talking to him. He is very free and always encourages me or my husband to ask questions so that we can learn. It was the most comfortable journey and very short and is only 4 months total but i postponed one month after my first visit due to my travel to India and he did not even rush. Everything was well planned.
I am not sure but I think it is agonist protocol. I am with him for my first IVF Cycle which was successful and was on some birth control pills for 3 weeks and after that on lupron and in my menstrual cycle after start of lupron for 4 days. Then started follistim and couple days later on Menopur and on those injections for 11-12 days and ovidrel trigger shot 36 hrs before egg retrieval. and all the injections are done and was methyl prednisolone for 2 -3 days and on progesterone from egg retrieval day. Embryo transfer was on 5 th day after egg retrieval and blood test for B HCG WAS ON 14 TH DAY. I heard the news from the nurse that BFP. That was the best day in my life. I GIVE 100% CREDIT AND WILL NEVER FORGET Omurtag in my life. WHEN EVER I SEE MY BABY I HAVE THAT KINDNESS TOWARDS HIM.
How competent was Kenan Omurtag at LGBTQ+ care?
n/a but i can confidently say he is wonderful
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Denice and so many others)
Nurse Denice and Omurtag assistant Jessie and every person is wonderful. Denice is always very quick and detail in answering your question. I bother them for every small doubts and now I feel some are very silly. but they never lost their patience.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
they are pretty good with the time/schedule. Some times if the flow is more they need extra person to check in but that's nothing. it happens because they are providing good care and obviously there are more people coming for this. Demand is always great.
total cost including my pre screening tests and consultation is $ 17,500 out of this 15,900 is for IVF. THE REST 1600 IS MY consultation and ultrasoung and blood work prior to start of IVF. MEDICINES COST is $3700
He suggested which is best considering my age SET. I JUST FOLLOWED HIM.But also told if you want 2 we can do that but explained pros and cons.
How competent was Washington University School of Medicine at LGBTQ+ care?
St. Louis - Central West End

We tried IUI first, using Menopur. We started out slow because she didn’t know how quickly my body was going to react. We ended up using menopur for 26 days & then did the IUI with the nurse. The IUI did not work, so we moved on to IVF. Her plan is to use Menopur again but at a faster rate. Around 10 days & then do the egg retrieval, we will be starting this process in a few weeks.
The clinic [Wash U] is great, very clean and well equipped. The only thing that bugs me is that it is hard to get ahold of the clinic. You have to call the nurse & leave a message before you can get ahold of anyone. There is also the portal that is cool, but sometimes it takes 1 or 2 days for someone to respond.... Melanie is awesome, very caring & helpful throughout the process. She kept you calm and hopeful.
She was very sweet & caring yet had the experience that we were looking for with my condition. We also liked how she remembered us and everything we have done so far and helped us develop a plan for what the next step was, the only thing I was upset about was that we were doing IUI & she had us not take the next round of menopur because she was afraid of multiples but in exchange the follicles were not big enough to actually successfully fertilize. The IUI did not work. Overall she is a great doctor & I would refer anyone to her services.
Speak up to your wishes, they try to get everyone to do genetic testing but that often adds on a lot of money. If you are not interested in it, just simply tell them that you are not doing it.
She cared for my case specifically for my needs, I’ve been to other clinics that made us feel like a number but with Jungheim we felt like she is doing what is best for us.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Melanie )
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
The clinic is great, very clean and well equipped. The only thing that bugs me is that it is hard to get ahold of the clinic. You have to call the nurse & leave a message before you can get ahold of anyone. There is also the portal that is cool, but sometimes it takes 1 or 2 days for someone to respond.
40 copay to see dr. 40 copay to see gen. Counseling Blood test billed $12000 ivf $500 for iui $4000-$5000 for menopur IUI/IVF $100 for trigger shot
Emily Jungheim

2015 - 2019, Successful
I have nothing but positive things to say about Dr Omurtag and his staff.... AMAZING!!! If there were set backs (as in my case there often were), he explained why a procedure needed to be taken care of... I wasn't just another patient. He wanted to know about my husband, about me, what we have tried. Thoroughly explained risks involved of egg donor... LOVE THIS MAN FOR NOT GIVING UP ON AN OLDER COUPLE who had tried for 9 years to have a baby!!!!
Everyone [Washington University] worked as a team whether it was through emails, phone calls or in person. No questions were left unanswered, calls were returned within 24 hours.... nothing but positive. communication was excellent, everyone remembered our names, impressive... After the birth of our son, Dr Omurtag made it a point to call me and see how we ALL were doing
I have nothing but positive things to say about Dr Omurtag and his staff.... AMAZING!!! If there were set backs (as in my case there often were), he explained why a procedure needed to be taken care of (polyps removed from uterus, EKG b/c of an irregular heart beat etc) before moving on to the next step in process. I NEVER felt these findings were a way for the company to get more money, rather they were concerns he had that needed to be examined before he felt confident enough to proceed to ensure I would be able to carry a healthy baby full term.
trust him, he knows what he is doing and will not give you poor advice or sugar coat the risks. He gives you all the information you need to make an informed decision.
I wasn't just another patient. He wanted to know about my husband, about me, what we have tried. Thoroughly explained risks involved of egg donor. Did not sugar coat anything yet was considerate of IUI we have tried in past with another fertility dr. He and his staff were always always available to answer any questions no matter how trivial. Wanted updates once baby was born, even asked if we could have a family picture with him! LOVE THIS MAN FOR NOT GIVING UP ON AN OLDER COUPLE who had tried for 9 years to have a baby!!!!
My husband and I met with the his consultants first to review costs. Once that was complete we then saw Dr Omurtag who went in depth on different types of procedures he could try. Since my husband and I had tried for 6 years to have a child (with a fertility clinic in TN) he told us he would not put us/me through that again, he would not try IVF since we had not had success. Our option was egg donor. Once we made that choice we had to meet with a team of specialist to see if we/I were physically and mentally ready for the process. After I was cleared a battery of tests began (continual labs, weekly/monthy ultrasounds, sonohysterogram, removal of polyps), daily pills, patches and injections needed to be administered until I was finally ready for embryo transfer. 9 months later: SUCCESS!!!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: I really do not remember her name)
Again, nothing but positive. communication was excellent, everyone remembered our names, impressive
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
Everyone worked as a team whether it was through emails, phone calls or in person. No questions were left unanswered, calls were returned within 24 hours. After the birth of our son, Dr Omurtag made it a point to call me and see how we ALL were doing (his nurse didn't call me, the receptionist didn't call me, HE did and any time a dr makes it a point to pick up the phone and place a call him/her self speaks volumes for the care he provides his patients)
for the process my husband and went through I felt it was reasonable. Because insurance did not cover much, most was out of pocket and payment options were made available to us.
Due to my age, only 3 eggs were transferred. We are trying for baby number 2 and this time he is telling me only 1 egg will be transferred. This Dr is phenomenal, always takes his patient's health and safety into consideration before doing whatever the patient wants.

Donor Eggs With Other Docs
Dr. Keller is very personable, knowledgeable and caring. She was very proactive in trying to find the reason Ikeep having miscarriages. Though no reason was discovered, I still have trust in her care and believe she is making the right decisions...She ran multiple test for recurrent miscarriage on me and they all came back negative. For my frozen cycle we transfered 1 embryo...But for my next transfer I have a fair and poor quality left she recommended transferring both. She will go over the risks of multiples if you decide to transfer more than 1.
For how large the practice [Washington University School of Medicine] is, they are incredibly quick to respond and get you in and out and quickly as possible. My only complaint is the billing office is slow to to process our invoices. We used our HSA to pay for our transfer and we've been waiting for 3 weeks to get a detailed receipt to turn in...nurse Amy is very quick to respond to your questions. They have a portal that easily allows to communicate back in forth. Though I feel like I had many questions she never made me feel as though I was a bother.
How was your experience with Sarah Keller at Washington University School of Medicine?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sarah Keller at Washington University School of Medicine?
While Dr. Keller is very knowledgeable the fertility science is not absolute. She will work her hardest for the best results.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sarah Keller at Washington University School of Medicine?
I came to Dr. Keller after multiple failed transfers with my previous Dr. She is not only very down to earth and tells you how it is in the sweetest way possible, she took the time to personally call me with test results and discuss my upcoming transfer.
Describe the protocols Sarah Keller used in your cycles at Washington University School of Medicine and their degree of success.
I have only used Dr. Keller for FETs. She ran multiple test for recurrent miscarriage on me and they all came back negative. For my frozen cycle we transfered 1 embryo. My protocol was: Day 1(March 2nd) start of period- start 2mg estrace 3x daily March 15- uterine lining check March 17- start 1/2ml PIO and azithromiacin (today only) March 18- Medrol 2x daily for 5 days and up PIO to 1ml March 22- Embryo transfer and continue 1ml PIO and estrace 3x daily Beta is 12 days after transfer
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Amy)
Dr. Kellers nurse Amy is very quick to respond to your questions. They have a portal that easily allows to communicate back in forth. Though I feel like I had many questions she never made me feel as though I was a bother.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
For how large the practice is, they are incredibly quick to respond and get you in and out and quickly as possible. My only complaint is the billing office is slow to to process our invoices. We used our HSA to pay for our transfer and we've been waiting for 3 weeks to get a detailed receipt to turn in.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sarah Keller at Washington University School of Medicine.
My FET was $3,800. My saline ultrasound and all other blood was covered by my insurance.
Describe Sarah Keller's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Washington University School of Medicine.
Dr. Keller prefers transferring 1 high quality embryo at a time. But for my next transfer I have a fair and poor quality left she recommended transferring both. She will go over the risks of multiples if you decide to transfer more than 1.
St. Louis - Central West End
He [Dr. Omurtag] reviewed my chart to see what I had done thus far with my local OBGYN, laid out the treatment options, and explained the order in which we would/could take them so that my husband and I could make informed decisions about our care. He started with the least-invasive option first, IUI, and promised that if it did not work within a few attempts, he would regroup with us to discuss what our next step would be. We ended up getting pregnant on the second round of IUI, but during the whole process he monitored all of my test results and sent messages to let me know his take. It assured me that he was a hands-on physician, who truly was taking an interest in my care.
Dr. Omurtag's staff members were the perfect compliment to his excellent care [at Wash U]. Kathy, his nurse, always answered my questions in the patient portal within hours of me sending them - and if necessary, called so she could better explain what was going on. She was kind, compassionate, thorough, and yet felt entirely approachable. I could ask her anything. There was another nurse, Mary, who was also wonderful - she would answer my questions, if Kathy was not in that particular day. She was just as prompt, thorough, and easy to trust and understand. Jessie, the medical secretary, was also absolutely fantastic - from the very first phone call in which she got some background information from me and set up my first appointment, I knew she was someone who would be right there with us through this whole journey.
Dr. Omurtag was professional yet completely approachable, and was able to explain things in ways that were simple to understand while still being comprehensive. He patiently answered all of my questions - even during my first appointment, when I had an entire list of questions written down. He reviewed all of my test results, and would write comments once he had done so that I could read them on the patient portal. He made the whole fertility treatment process seem as easy and natural as anything in the world, giving us realistic expectations of success while reassuring us that he would be there to support and guide us along every step of the way. I have never had a doctor in whom I had more confidence and trust.
Come with questions, so you know what you want to know - and then rest easy, knowing Dr. Omurtag will tell you everything else, the things you didn't think to ask.
While always professional on every level, I felt like Dr. Omurtag and his staff were incredibly approachable and supportive. If I emailed them with a question, I had an answer within hours. If I called, I always either spoke directly with someone or received a prompt call back. If there were any tests I could do locally (I live two hours away from St. Louis), they would let me - saving me that long trip. During my first appointment I came with a list of questions written down, and Dr. Omurtag patiently answered every single one, and never made me feel foolish for asking any of them - even if they were very basic. Honestly, I cannot say enough about the supportive and attentive care I received while a patient of Dr. Omurtag. His nurses Kathy and Mary, and his medical secretary Jessie, were also incredible! Truly, those women made me feel so well looked after.
He reviewed my chart to see what I had done thus far with my local OBGYN, laid out the treatment options, and explained the order in which we would/could take them so that my husband and I could make informed decisions about our care. He started with the least-invasive option first, IUI, and promised that if it did not work within a few attempts, he would regroup with us to discuss what our next step would be. We ended up getting pregnant on the second round of IUI, but during the whole process he monitored all of my test results and sent messages to let me know his take. It assured me that he was a hands-on physician, who truly was taking an interest in my care.
Dr. Omurtag's staff members were the perfect compliment to his excellent care. Kathy, his nurse, always answered my questions in the patient portal within hours of me sending them - and if necessary, called so she could better explain what was going on. She was kind, compassionate, thorough, and yet felt entirely approachable. I could ask her anything. There was another nurse, Mary, who was also wonderful - she would answer my questions, if Kathy was not in that particular day. She was just as prompt, thorough, and easy to trust and understand. Jessie, the medical secretary, was also absolutely fantastic - from the very first phone call in which she got some background information from me and set up my first appointment, I knew she was someone who would be right there with us through this whole journey. She is the kind of person who made you feel safe, like you could rest easy because you knew she would dot every I and cross every T to make sure that the administrative side of your care was attended to. Honestly, I cannot say enough about Dr. Omurtag's staff. I wish we didn't live so far away, so that they could be in charge of my care permanently.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
Everything I experienced with Dr. Omurtag, his staff, and the clinic as a whole was of top-notch quality. I honestly did not have a single complaint during my time as their patient (and they have assured me that even though I will be resuming full-time care with my local OBGYN, I am free to call them at any time if I have any questions or concerns - another testament to how wonderful of an office they are). The patient portal made communication with the staff a breeze, the appointments were always prompt and efficiently run, and we would not hesitate to go to them again if we needed help with getting pregnant again. Frankly, if it weren't for the drive, I would switch doctors in a heartbeat. I've never had a better doctor or staff, nor felt more comfortable or well looked after.
Besides copays, I did not have any extra costs associated with my care from Dr. Omurtag.
St. Louis - Central West End
He [Dr. Kevin Omurtag] suggested we do multiple due to age and past records...He has great bedside manner. He spends all the time in the world with you, going through every possible scenario that you bring to his attention. Dr. Omurtag is young and I find that an advantage as he seems to keep up on the latest information going on in infertility... is friendly, knowledgeable, caring, and smart. It was nice to feel like you could ask as many questions as you needed to ask and he would answer them without making you feel dumb or rushing you out the door. I do wish he would be at the procedures. He said he would be at them a couple of times and never showed up. That was disappointing as we had really hoped he would perform the procedures and he said he would.
The front desk staff [at Washington University School of Medicine] are cordial, but not outwardly friendly. It does feel a little anonymous and not as friendly as other places. The medical assistants that draw blood are fantastic and friendly. The ultrasound techs are very kind and knowledgeable, too...For IUI, we did mainly clomid, then after three of those, went to a clomid with one u/s and trigger shot. Finally, went to an IUI with injectables and monitoring. For IVF, we did a short antagonist protocol for both IVF cycles with ovidrel trigger shots.
Dr. Omurtag is friendly, knowledgeable, caring, and smart. It was nice to feel like you could ask as many questions as you needed to ask and he would answer them without making you feel dumb or rushing you out the door. I do wish he would be at the procedures. He said he would be at them a couple of times and never showed up. That was disappointing as we had really hoped he would perform the procedures and he said he would.
Feel comfortable asking questions and make suggestions. He's open to them all and will go through all possibilities with you.
Kathy is fantastic! She responds very quickly to messages and calls. She does rush a bit on the phone, but is very thorough on email. I feel like she cares and wants everyone to be successful.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
The clinic is pretty cold when you first get there. The front desk staff are cordial, but not outwardly friendly. It does feel a little anonymous and not as friendly as other places. The medical assistants that draw blood are fantastic and friendly. The ultrasound techs are very kind and knowledgeable, too.
He suggested we do multiple due to age and past records.

2015 - 2018, Unknown Success
Dr. Keller is very knowledgeable and an expert in her field. I've never felt she has pushed us into spending more money than we absolutely have to.... She never rushes us out of the office and takes the time to answer all questions thoroughly. She often seems flustered or nervous... In 2016 I did 3 clomid IUIs without trigger shot.... I was disappointed that no Ultrasound or hCG blood levels were obtained during any of the cycles.
The volume of patients and staff allows them [Washington U School of Medicine] to be open every day of the week so you never have to delay your IUI until the Monday after your Friday surge.... Once a week all of the doctors in the practice meet to discuss all of their patients.... The line to check in can get long some days but once checked in blood draws and Ultrasounds are done quickly.
Dr. Keller is very knowledgeable and an expert in her field. I've never felt she has pushed us into spending more money than we absolutely have to. She has not recommended PGS testing for our second IVF cycle, citing that it does not improve birth rates. She never rushes us out of the office and takes the time to answer all questions thoroughly. She often seems flustered or nervous and for that reason I would recommend other doctors in this practice over her.
Do your research. Ask questions. Tell her what's bothering you. Trust her plan of care.
The staff and Dr. Keller all seem invested in a positive outcome for us. When I came in with suspected miscarriage everyone was very somber and supportive. It seemed like they were disappointed along with us.
In 2016 I did 3 clomid IUIs without trigger shot. None were successful and I was disappointed that no Ultrasound or hCG blood levels were obtained during any of the cycles. I didn't see Dr. Keller at all during this time and really felt like nobody cared if they were successful or not. Cycle 1 IVF was better. I do not have ovulatory dysfunction so Keller recommend an agonist protocol for my first IVF cycle. In retrospect I responded quickly to the medications, maybe too quickly because we got 10 eggs and only 2 5-day embryos. Our fresh transfer resulted in a chemical pregnancy and our FET resulted in a miscarriage at 7 weeks. Dr. Keller said that a quick stimulation can result in poorer egg quality. For cycle two she is doing a long antagonist which will hopefully allow slower development of my follicles and give better egg quality.
Amy is very knowledgeable and professional. She is prompt to call with results and communicates effectively with Dr. Keller and her patients. She's not particularly friendly but I trust her.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
In my opinion this is the only place to go for fertility treatment in the St. Louis area. The volume of patients and staff allows them to be open every day of the week so you never have to delay your IUI until the Monday after your Friday surge. They also have their own embryology lab and the ability to do your egg retrieval on Sundays if that's when your follicles are ready. Once a week all of the doctors in the practice meet to discuss all of their patients. This means you don't have just one doctor, you have six physicians collaborating on YOUR plan. Also they have the entire Barnes Jewish Hospital complex and doctors at their disposal. This means that for example if you have endometriosis that requires surgery, they can refer you to someone in their system who can perform your surgery. Because they share that same computer systems, all the physicians are on the same page about your care. Weaknesses include: lack of privacy when checking in; the woman checking me in always asks if I want to pay my bill before I've ever received a bill in the mail; the Ultrasound techs are not friendly.
I think IUIs were around $350 each plus the copay for Clomid. For one egg retrieval/IVF with ICSI, a frozen transfer and fresh transfer we paid almost $13k and my insurance covered $4k.
Dr. Keller was open to both single and double embryo transfer for us. We elected single transfer to avoid a twin or triplet pregnancy.
St. Louis - Central West End

Dr. Jimenez and her staff has made us feel comfortable and are so attentive. They treat you like family! They are always accessible and are there for you! I can’t say enough about how much we appreciate her staff! They go above and beyond for their patients and their dream for a family!!... She takes the time to answer all your questions and address all your concerns. If we got home and forgot questions or concerns she was an email away and always got back to us quickly either same day or next day if we emailed at night.
The entire clinic staff [Washington University] is very helpful and friendly from the minute to walk in to the second you leave!! Great communication!! I can’t think of any weaknesses. It truly is an incredible staff! They are patient and if they didn’t know the answer to my question, they were able to get me to someone who did very easily!!... Given we had no fertility coverage, we were always made aware of the out of pocket costs for everything. There was never any cost surprises. They made sure we had and knew all our options in regards to the cost and financing.
She takes the time to answer all your questions and address all your concerns. If we got home and forgot questions or concerns she was an email away and always got back to us quickly either same day or next day if we emailed at night. She worked with us as far as timing for our IUIs. We drove 2 hrs to see her. She always made us feel more like family instead of a patient!!
Definitely be prepared to hear a lot of information. She covers everything and is very thorough! Take paper with you to jot down notes if you’d like.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Denise )
They are all amazing!! Very attentive! They treated us like family! They went above and beyond!
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
The entire clinic staff is very helpful and friendly from the minute to walk in to the second you leave!! Great communication!! I can’t think of any weaknesses. It truly is an incredible staff! They are patient and if they didn’t know the answer to my question, they were able to get me to someone who did very easily!!
I’m 38 and she was comfortable with a 2 embryo transfer. It was more up to me to decide after considering risks and benefits.
St. Louis - Central West End

He [Dr. Kenan Omurtag] discovered that one of my thyroid levels (which can cause infertility and mc) was within the normal range but a little high in the normal range. He started me on some thyroid medicine, I had my tubes checked and within a month I was pregnant. I truly believe that small adjustment to my thyroid was what did it. Other doctors may have dismissed this bc it was still within the normal range but Dr. Omurtag saw beyond that.
I expect a response within a day but these girls [staff at Washington University School of Medicine] are on it. Most of the time they would email or call me back within an hour or less. I am grateful for all they have done!...I was super impressed with the communication between everyone and their organization...It was very clean and the lady who did my u/s 2x was super nice and experienced!
YES! He is great at what he does and you can tell in his heart he wants to help you get pregnant!
From the beginning, Dr. Omurtag was kind, easy to talk to and very thorough. His staff reflects this, they are just as incredible! He discovered that one of my thyroid levels (which can cause infertility and mc) was within the normal range but a little high in the normal range. He started me on some thyroid medicine, I had my tubes checked and within a month I was pregnant. I truly believe that small adjustment to my thyroid was what did it. Other doctors may have dismissed this bc it was still within the normal range but Dr. Omurtag saw beyond that. Dr Omurtag's staff, Jessie and Kathy, are KICK ASS! I expect a response within a day but these girls are on it. Most of the time they would email or call me back within an hour or less. I am grateful for all they have done!
He gave me options, we could very aggressive and go straight to invitro or go a slower route. I decided to go an even slower route than what he offered which he was completely supportive of! Month 1 consisted of starting thyroid medicine and having my tubes flushed, then me and my husband trying spontaneously. If that did not work the next month I was going to start Clomid but we did not get to that point :) He discovered that one of my thyroid levels (which can cause infertility and mc) was within the normal range but a little high in the normal range. He started me on some thyroid medicine, I had my tubes checked and within a month I was pregnant. I truly believe that small adjustment to my thyroid was what did it. Other doctors may have dismissed this bc it was still within the normal range but Dr. Omurtag saw beyond that.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Jessie and Kathy)
Dr Omurtag's staff, Jessie and Kathy, are KICK ASS! I expect a response within a day but these girls are on it. Most of the time they would email or call me back within an hour or less. I am grateful for all they have done! I was super impressed with the communication between everyone and their organization.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
There's not much to say about this. It's a clinic and I loved my doctor and his nurses! It was very clean and the lady who did my u/s 2x was super nice and experienced! It was very clean and the lady who did my u/s 2x was super nice and experienced!
My us and tube cleaning was not covered by my insurance, it was 280 for the u/s and 720 for the tube cleaning.
St. Louis - Missouri Baptist Med Center

From the start Dr Omurtag gave us hope. He was kind, caring, and attentive. He answered all of our questions. He told us what we needed to know up front. He didn’t perform my egg retrieval but he stopped in to check on me, which was very nice. He also personally called me after my first negative test to discuss how I was doing and where to go next.... My protocol was pretty standard. With it being male factor infertility i didn’t have to do a lot of extra stuff. I took 3 different medications over a 10 day period.
We really liked this clinic [Washington U]. It was clean, professional, and everyone was friendly and caring. Sometimes we had to wait a little while for our appointment but that comes with most doctor offices. Our only downfall was trying to find a parking spot.... I was very pleased overall with Kathy, Jessie, and the rest of the care team. They always got back to me right away and answered all my questions. I could tell Kathy was upset when she had to tell me my first blood test was negative.
You won’t see him for every visit but he is aware of what’s going on and is still keeping up with your progress.
I definitely felt like a human, not a number. Dr Omurtag and everyone there were so helpful and caring.
My protocol was pretty standard. With it being male factor infertility i didn’t have to do a lot of extra stuff. I took 3 different medications over a 10 day period. I took cetrotide and was allergic to it, they had me take Benadryl with it. I almost overstimulated so I did have to take pills for that and up my fluids.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Kathy )
I was very pleased overall with Kathy, Jessie, and the rest of the care team. They always got back to me right away and answered all my questions. I could tell Kathy was upset when she had to tell me my first blood test was negative. She cared about me and my feelings.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
We really liked this clinic. It was clean, professional, and everyone was friendly and caring. Sometimes we had to wait a little while for our appointment but that comes with most doctor offices. Our only downfall was trying to find a parking spot. Usually the reserved spots were open but sometimes we had to park somewhere else and hope we didn’t get a ticket.
We were fortunate that our insurance covered fertility treatments. With 2 rounds of IVF and doing ICSI we paid about $2500 out of pocket.
For our first transfer, we saw Dr Odem and he recommended transferring 2 embryos. He explained why and we agreed, however, it was unsuccessful. The second transfer we transferred one embryo which resulted in a positive blood test.

2015 - 2018, Successful
You walk in [to WashU] and the desk is in front of you. You usually get checked in fairly quickly. The welcome is not overly friendly, but appropriate and cordial. The waiting room is very nice, coffee machine, magazines, TV and radio. You are often in the lobby with several other couples who are all there for the same reason. When you are taken back you go to an office or a nurse may get some information and send you out. The wait times are not terrible.
Kenan was warm and engaged. I remember my husband joking he was so young. In ways I liked that piece because I felt like I could relate to him as a human and someone our age who understands all the issues we are facing. He was always very reserved about being too excited or hopeful, but would say until the baby is out and in your arms. That could sound harsh, but I think that it was helpful to keep us in the moment and not attaching to an outcome. He also referred me to Dr. Odem when he felt my Asherman's was too extensive for him to do surgery on. I appreciated him acknowledging he has limits to his medical ability and wanted to support me in getting the best possible care.
Ask as many questions as you need to in order to understand things. He will answer them and it is okay to be reserved and not jump on his first recommendation. You are allowed to dictate your own steps of care.
Keenan was great, very warm, personable. He was honest and did not make promises and took his time with us. I never felt rushed or like he needed to get to someone else. He was always quick to respond, took all my anxieties and worries seriously and was never dismissive.
He first gave me progesterone to see if I could bleed, I then had a dye test of my tubes to make sure there was no blockage and my organs were in good standing. He paired my cycle after progesterone with Letrosole and I ovulated and was pregnant on my first time. He stated that if we tried that given I had 5 failed rounds of Chlomid, he was going to recommend IUI.
I remember them giving me detailed information, being very calm, organized and relaxed. They answered questions and responded quickly.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
You walk in and the desk is in front of you. You usually get checked in fairly quickly. The welcome is not overly friendly, but appropriate and cordial. The waiting room is very nice, coffee machine, magazines, TV and radio. You are often in the lobby with several other couples who are all there for the same reason. When you are taken back you go to an office or a nurse may get some information and send you out. The wait times are not terrible.
I am a university employee so my insurance covers my fees. It was never expensive or unreasonable. Sometimes medications were very expensive regardless. However I understand meds and IVF are very expensive. They are very understanding of the financial challenge and work to support individuals in getting feedback and support from billing.
Surrogacy With Other Docs
I have always felt like a human under the care of Dr. Keller.... The first appointment we had with Dr. Keller to meet to chat about IVF was one I will never forget. After sitting with her, discussing all that is involved with IVF, Dr. Keller looked at us and said, "I want you to get your baby! That is my goal here!". It made me feel as if I wasn't alone and I felt as if my husband and I are in the best hands.... she is trustworthy and will fight for the best care for you.
Washington University Fertility and Reproductive Medicine Center is well known and the doctors there have the best communication with their patients.... The nursing staff and the care coordinator have been wonderful so far in our journey through IVF. My husband and I tend to have many questions because we are both nurses. They call back in a timely manner and always seem to find the answers if they don't have them for us right away.
Being a nurse, I have learned about effective communication. Having effective communication with physicians is always key to experience excellent care. After my husband and I miscarried our baby boy at 17 weeks, I learned to be an advocate for my care even more. I did not have complications after my D&C surgery after miscarriage. I however was diagnosed with an uterine arterial venous malformation which is very rare. I was under my general OBGYN at the time I was diagnosed and Dr. Keller which is my infertility specialist. Many doctors were consulted to see if they had an idea of how to treat the AVM in my uterus. A month or so after my diagnosis, I was told it would not be in my best interest to carry children for my safety and health. Dr. Keller was my main physician who helped me through my time of this diagnosis. She understood how hard this time was because we have never had any children and I was only 26 years old at the time. Every time I was seen by her, I felt as if she was fighting for answers for my husband and I, seeing everything in our best interest. Time went by and I ended up hemorrhaging, which is a complication of the uterine AVM, and admitted to the hospital multiple times in a months span. While the bleeding would start and stop, the doctors were trying to figure out how to save my fertility without doing anything to drastic. After failed attempts to do so, I ultimately had to make the decision to get a hysterectomy for my health and safety. Dr. Keller was always there, one call away, to answer all my questions and concerns. I wanted to make sure that this was the best decision for myself and that there weren't any other options available. I trusted her decision, as did my husband. Now, fast forward to a little over a year later, and were are about to do an IVF cycle to ultimately have a surrogate carry our baby. After a couple of months of trying to heal mentally and physically, my husband and I are ready for our next steps into starting our family. The first appointment we had with Dr. Keller to meet to chat about IVF was one I will never forget. After sitting with her, discussing all that is involved with IVF, Dr. Keller looked at us and said, "I want you to get your baby! That is my goal here!". It made me feel as if I wasn't alone and I felt as if my husband and I are in the best hands. She always asks how I am doing when I meet with her, how I am healing, and just how I feel overall. My experiences that I have gone through in the past year and half are something I never expected. I never dreamt of not being able to carry our children. It sure does make it easier having Dr. Keller sincerely care about my husband and I and our ultimate goal which is to start our family. There is nothing bad I could say about Dr. Keller!
That she is trustworthy and will fight for the best care for you. She will always listen and respect your decisions. Effective communication!
I have always felt like a human under the care of Dr. Keller. After going through some testing for infertility, we became pregnant on our own. We miscarried our baby boy at 17 weeks. I was then diagnosed with an AVM in my uterus and ended up hemorrhaging a month after my miscarriage. I was in and out of the hospital with complications and trying to figure out how to save my fertility with my new diagnosis. I was always in contact with Dr. Keller and trusted her input on everything regarding our decisions. Ultimately, a hysterectomy had to happen for my safety and health. At age 26, with no children, it was and for ever will be the hardest decision of my life. Dr. Keller was there for my husband and I during that time and is now guiding us through IVF to do egg retrieval to have a surrogate. I am forever thankful for her care!
I am about 3 weeks away from our very first round of IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Susan )
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
Washington University Fertility and Reproductive Medicine Center is well known and the doctors there have the best communication with their patients. They do egg retrievals 7 days a week, and they don't clump everyone into cycles together. They are able to work with each patient one on one.
I will know a more detailed cost estimate soon. Since we are just beginning our first IVF cycle, I am not sure of the overall costs. I estimate it being close to $20,000.
Dr. Keller has discussed her approach to both because of us needing to use a surrogate since I cannot carry. The decision mainly depends on the surrogate and what they agree too, but she does mention it is best to not do a multiple embryo transfer for surrogate to carry. It costs more and many more risks involve is my understanding.