1 review

Iowa City
200 Hawkins Drive
Iowa City, IA 52242

2021 - 2023, Unknown Success
After a difficult cycle, Dr. Mancuso called me personally and initiated the conversation by asking how I was feeling. She discussed next steps with me, letting me know that she fully supports whatever I choose to do. She has maintained optimism through this process, especially when it’s been hard for me to evaluate the bigger picture...She is compassionate. She is realistic but also maintains an optimistic outlook on the process. She presents all options to us, gives her expert opinion and makes sure we know that she will support whatever course we choose.
[U of Iowa Center for Advanced Reproductive Care] Strengths: Very responsive to portal messages. They work quickly to coordinate treatments/get procedures on the schedule. They have a financial advisor that keeps track of benefits/gives recommendations on how to navigate your fertility benefits/costs of IVF, etc. Weaknesses: While mental health services are available through the clinic (description included on website), they don’t discuss them in person at your initial/follow-up appointments which I think would be helpful.
How was your experience with Abigail Mancuso at U of Iowa Center for Advanced Reproductive Care?
Dr. Mancuso is always very patient with my husband and I. She answers all the questions we have fully. She is compassionate. She is realistic but also maintains an optimistic outlook on the process. She presents all options to us, gives her expert opinion and makes sure we know that she will support whatever course we choose.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Abigail Mancuso at U of Iowa Center for Advanced Reproductive Care?
Write down any questions you may have in advance to help guide the appointment/tailor it to what you need.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Abigail Mancuso at U of Iowa Center for Advanced Reproductive Care?
Describe the protocols Abigail Mancuso used in your cycles at U of Iowa Center for Advanced Reproductive Care and their degree of success.
1. Long Agonist Protocol (OCP, Leuprolide, Follistim, Menopur, Pregynl) was used initially given suspected endometriosis. ICSI utilized. This yielded 5 eggs; 5 of which fertilized normally with maturation of 2 blasts/embryos. 2. Short Antagonist Protocol (Follistim, Menopur, Ganirelix, Pregynl) was used the second round. It was not felt that I had DOR after the first round but was felt that it might have been a little too suppressive. Hence the adjustment to the shorter antagonist protocol. ICSI utilized. This yielded 9 eggs, 5 of which fertilized normally with maturation of 2 blasts/embryos.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at U of Iowa Center for Advanced Reproductive Care.
The nurses are always very patient with me. They answer all my questions completely. They are very responsive to portal messages. They provide reassurance when needed.
Describe your experience with U of Iowa Center for Advanced Reproductive Care.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Abigail Mancuso at U of Iowa Center for Advanced Reproductive Care.
IUI was approximately $400 per time (before insurance). IVF (including medications) was approximately $20,000 per cycle (before insurance).
Describe Abigail Mancuso's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at U of Iowa Center for Advanced Reproductive Care.
Dr. Mancuso has appropriately recommended single embryo transfer given my age/perceived egg quality. She has given me the option of multiple embryo transfer and let me know she would support it if that’s what we wanted to do but was clear about the current guidelines/data.
Abigail Mancuso