LGBTQ+ Competent Care
LGBTQ+ Competent Care

Based on reviews from the LGBTQ+ community.

6.3

NIEH / Duke

Grace Couchman (retired) worked in 1 office at

2601 Lake Dr Ste 301
Raleigh, NC 27607

Dr.Couchman was kind and straightforward regarding treatment and results of treatment. She was warm and always available for any questions no matter the magnitude... was very compassionate and understanding even during consultation. She was thorough and answered all questions we had no matter how menial they seemed. She provided us with education on the procedures and what needed to be done on our parts to be successful. Dr. Couchman is wonderful and I am looking forward to working with her again.
The clinic staff [at Carolina Conceptions] is wonderful. Anytime I spoke with someone they were always helpful, kind and understanding. Staff always answered any questions and they were available after hours if needed. Staff also was helpful in getting me appointments when needed and accommodating since I had to travel over two hours to get to the clinic...Dr.Couchman highly recommended Eset. this procedure has less risk and higher success rates.
How was your experience with Grace Couchman (retired) at Carolina Conceptions?
Dr.Couchman was very compassionate and understanding even during consultation. She was thorough and answered all questions we had no matter how menial they seemed. She provided us with education on the procedures and what needed to be done on our parts to be successful. Dr. Couchman is wonderful and I am looking forward to working with her again.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Grace Couchman (retired) at Carolina Conceptions?
Do not be afraid to ask questions Dr.Couchman will answer them truthfully and fully.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Grace Couchman (retired) at Carolina Conceptions?
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
The clinic staff is wonderful. Anytime I spoke with someone they were always helpful, kind and understanding. Staff always answered any questions and they were available after hours if needed. Staff also was helpful in getting me appointments when needed and accommodating since I had to travel over two hours to get to the clinic.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Grace Couchman (retired) at Carolina Conceptions.
Most of my cost was covered as during this cycle I had Cigna for insurance
Describe Grace Couchman (retired)'s approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Carolina Conceptions.
Raleigh
Dr. Couchman was sincere but honest with my husband and I from day one. She always explained everything and made sure we completely understood what was going to take place prior to it happening. Always felt reassured when I left appointments. It was a blessing to be able to meet with her in Wilmington at first it made me feel more comfortable being on my “home turf.”
Weakness was the front desk [Carolina Conceptions]. It seemed from appointment to appointment they weren’t sure what to charge me and how to file dual insurance. It all worked out in the end and after my son was born I did receive a check in the mail for refunded money overcharges. ... Strengths were the doctors, nurses and clinical staff [Carolina Conceptions].
How was your experience with Grace Couchman (retired) at Carolina Conceptions?
Be patient, take good notes, and don’t be afraid to ask questions.
Always felt very comfortable and welcomed.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Carolina Conceptions.
All staff were very professional.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
Strengths were the doctors, nurses and clinical staff. Weakness was the front desk. It seemed from appointment to appointment they weren’t sure what to charge me and how to file dual insurance. It all worked out in the end and after my son was born I did receive a check in the mail for refunded money overcharges.
I was concerned about only be able to have one embryo transferred. I wanted as many chances as possible.

2020, Unknown Success
Donor Eggs With Other Docs
Loved it [at Carolina Concetions]. Very organized and like a well oiled machine. Clean and modern. Always busy. Everything is done in house. There is an acupuncturist in the same building...We are doing letrozole with timed intercourse [with Dr. Grace Couchman]...She was direct and honest, yet compassionate and kind. She laid out all my options and was willing to let me try some things such as letrozole before moving to donor eggs. She was very gentle with the HSG. Very friendly and intelligent...I loved Dr Couchman. She was very personable and normal...Book her before she retires!
How was your experience with Grace Couchman (retired) at Carolina Conceptions?
Book her before she retires!
I loved Dr Couchman. She was very personable and normal.
Describe the protocols Grace Couchman (retired) used in your cycles at Carolina Conceptions and their degree of success.
We are doing letrozole with timed intercourse
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolina Conceptions. (Assigned nurse: Yes )
Great !
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
Loved it. Very organized and like a well oiled machine. Clean and modern. Always busy. Everything is done in house. There is an acupuncturist in the same building. This is getting really long and I don’t know what else to say. I’m still going there.
Insurance covered initial testing
This hasn’t happened yet.
Raleigh
Dr. Couchman was caring, understanding, and empathetic. She was very calm and had an impressive way of communicating good, and and indifferent news. We felt like she was looking out for us and wanting the best for us by providing the best plan possible for us to be successful, but providing all options available. Would highly recommend working with her she made the experience more enjoyable and we changed doctors after our first consult and never regretted it.
The Clinic itself [Carolina Conceptions] is very well managed and the front as well as back-office staff are incredible. As much as you don't want to be you feel part of a family while you're there. It's a great team of people and I never minded seeing them regularly...Dr. Couchman was caring, understanding, and empathetic. She was very calm and had an impressive way of communicating good, and and indifferent news. We felt like she was looking out for us and wanting the best for us by providing the best plan possible for us to be successful, but providing all options available. Would highly recommend working with her she made the experience more enjoyable and we changed doctor
You won't regret it.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
The Clinic itself is very well managed and the front as well as back-office staff are incredible. As much as you don't want to be you feel part of a family while you're there. It's a great team of people and I never minded seeing them regularly.

2017 - 2019, Unknown Success
Doctor Couchman knew about my history and never once forgot what my background was or where I was in the process. She was caring and by our side from the time we started seeing her to the time of our miscarriage. She, unlike the doctor I saw before her at a different clinic treated my husband and I as humans versus just a number.
The front staff [Carolina Conceptions] is now always friendly and very approachable. Their finance department may at times not be as informative or flexible as other clinics but overall the clinic is nice. ... The nursing staff at Carolina Conceptions is amazing. Especially Terri Hunter and Leanne Ritter are amazing and very knowledgeable. ... The clinic is always nice and clean and easy to find.
How was your experience with Grace Couchman (retired) at Carolina Conceptions?
Doctor Couchman is a very tentative doctor and provided my husband and I with all the possible options knowing our past history at another clinic. She gave us options and ideas on how to make each round better and will give us an honest opinion on how to proceed. She always knew us as a person and had our information handy rather than guess about our situation when we saw her. She is a wonderful companionate doctor and I would recommend her to all my family and friends who have to go through the same thing.
Bring all your past history of fertility issues with you and Dr. Couchman will walk through everything with you.
When seeing Dr.Couchman she had me take DHA prior to starting the IVF treatment to help strengthen my eggs. She also had me take gonal-f in the morning and menopur at night versus both in the morning. I also took Omnitrope injections at night with my menopur. This resulted in more eggs during my retrieval and better quality and quantity of embryos than my past Doctor.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
The clinic is always nice and clean and easy to find. The front staff is now always friendly and very approachable. Their finance department may at times not be as informative or flexible as other clinics but overall the clinic is nice.
I believe 10,000 for retrieval and transfer. Including ultrasounds and tests.

2015 - 2017, Unknown Success
Dr. Couchman has pretty much let us dictate what we want to do. At this point we've only tried medicated IUIs with injectable medications. One cycle I produced a high number of follicles, so she suggest that we use a lower dosage of Follistim for the next round. We are thinking about starting and IVF cycle in the summer and she has been very upfront with the fact that we may not need a lot of medication because I tend to respond well to lower doses.
We were offered a special rate [at Carolina Conceptions] for IVF because they consider me to be a "service worker."...I think Carolina Conceptions does a great job trying to educate their patients. The financial department has been helpful along the way as we have dealt with insurance. The front desk receptionists are always quick to help however they are able. The female receptionist knows my name when I walk in the door. She is always polite and super sweet.
How was your experience with Grace Couchman (retired) at Carolina Conceptions?
Dr. Couchman has been great. I've sat in her office in her office for several consultations. She has been patient and understanding as we have asked questions and made decisions. Dr. Couchman has made sure that we are well informed. I've never felt dumb asking her questions. She has taught as much as she has supported. While she has recommended specific treatment, she has never been pushy. She has allowed us to walk through this journey at our own pace. I am so appreciate of the care she has provided.
Dr. Couchman is not always warm and fuzzy, but that doesn't mean she doesn't care. She shows that she cares through her knowledge and supportive nature.
She seems to know me and be familiar with my medical history. She made recommendations based on that.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Carolina Conceptions.
I've mostly seen nurses to check follicles, so there isn't a whole lot to share. They are knowledgeable and if they have questions, they consult the doctor. I've been pleased thus far.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
I honestly cannot remember. Some of our IUIs were covered under insurance, and some were not. We were offered a special rate for IVF because they consider me to be a "service worker."
If she has a preference, I'm not 100 percent sure. I imagine that it would be a single due to the lower risk factors. We have not yet crossed that bridge, so we will probably discuss it further in future appointments.
LGBTQ+

Surrogacy With Other Docs
LGBTQ+
I have only worked with Dr, Couchman for a short period as my treatment has only just begun, but so far my experience has been wonderful. ... I felt like a human because she never made me feel judged for being a same sex couple. ... Dr. Couchman is so full of wisdom and knowledge and does an amazing job at explaining the procedures and answering any questions. She is hopefully but also realistic at the same time. ...
They [Carolina Conceptions] are very open to different lifestyles and I have never felt judged for being a same sex couple. ... I only have positive things to say about my clinic, they have been amazing at communication, answering all of my questions, reassuring me, working with me on financials etc! ... Invocell ivf with military discount procedure $7,100. Medicine costs between $1,000-1,500. Additional monitoring appointments between $250-$400.
How was your experience with Grace Couchman (retired) at Carolina Conceptions?
I have only worked with Dr, Couchman for a short period as my treatment has only just begun, but so far my experience has been wonderful. Dr. Couchman is so full of wisdom and knowledge and does an amazing job at explaining the procedures and answering any questions. She is hopefully but also realistic at the same time.
To go into the appointment knowing that she is lovely but will give it to you how the facts present themselves. She will not give false hope but is positive.
I felt like a human because she never made me feel judged for being a same sex couple. She treated us just like any heterosexual couple coming in would be treated. She was very endearing and was able to answer all of our questions with pleasure.
I have only just started my treatment and so far have only started birth control
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Carolina Conceptions.
Everyone seemed very positive and upbeat! Very comforting!
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
I only have positive things to say about my clinic, they have been amazing at communication, answering all of my questions, reassuring me, working with me on financials etc! They are very open to different lifestyles and I have never felt judged for being a same sex couple.
Raleigh
Dr.Couchman was able to tell my on my first visit what could help and explained in detail what steps we could take but always provided me with the answers nobody could answer. We have 9 years unable to concieve and for her to help us and makes us feel like their was a possibility gave us the hope we needed... she placed me on provera which helped instantly.... She will help you in every step of the way so you will be very well taken care of!
They [Carolina Conceptions] have incredible staff and doctors. My first call to set my first appointment they were very cordial and sweet. I will never have enough words to describe how helpful and kind they are! From front desk to nurses to doctors!... The nurses were very committed to helping us feel welcome during every visit and answered any question we had.... At the time I was covered by bcbs and my copayment would be of $75 or so.
How was your experience with Grace Couchman (retired) at Carolina Conceptions?
Be open to suggestions, listen to her advice. She will help you in every step of the way so you will be very well taken care of!
I will never be able to thank Dr. Couchman enough for making me feel that their was a possibility for me to get pregnant and feel comfortable throughout the process. I did end up with a chemical pregnancy but she never lost hope in us. I am so grateful for not only her but the entire staff for making us feel like they cared.
I had tried Clomid with a previous fertility doctor and didn’t help at all. I was able to tell doctor couchman and she placed me on provera which helped instantly.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
They have incredible staff and doctors. My first call to set my first appointment they were very cordial and sweet. I will never have enough words to describe how helpful and kind they are! From front desk to nurses to doctors!
At the time I was covered by bcbs and my copayment would be of $75 or so.
Raleigh

She [Dr. Couchman] was very friendly and had a wonderful bedside manner. I felt very comfortable with her and well taken care of! We talked and went over the entire process and what she recommended for me. She didn’t sugarcoat anything and made sure I understand everything and answered all my questions.... I had a saline ultrasound done which showed I had over 15 follicles on each ovary which was great for my age of 41. We started a plan to move onto ivf which I will be starting next month.
The nursing staff [Carolina Conceptions] was great and friendly. I felt comfortable with them.... Strength is professional and great customer service and the only weakness I can even think of is accidentally scheduling me for an appt that I had no idea what. Everyone is just so nice even down to the lab that did all my bloodwork.... She [Dr. Couchman] took her time to talk to me and explain the process. She was awesome and very real as related to expectations. Loved her
How was your experience with Grace Couchman (retired) at Carolina Conceptions?
She was very friendly and had a wonderful bedside manner. I felt very comfortable with her and well taken care of! We talked and went over the entire process and what she recommended for me. She didn’t sugarcoat anything and made sure I understand everything and answered all my questions.
Make sure and have your questions listened before you arrive.
She took her time to talk to me and explain the process. She was awesome and very real as related to expectations. Loved her
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Carolina Conceptions.
The nursing staff was great and friendly. I felt comfortable with them. After my saline ultrasound, they were giving my compliments and how long I looked for my age and just being very friendly.
Over 10,000
She told me for my age I will be able to transfer 2 embryos and I’m excited about that!