Good

Thomas Kim works at

11500 W. Olympic Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90064

2023, 36 Eggs Frozen
Dr Kim is extremely compassionate, patient, and smart...taking the time to explain the fertility cycle and process to me in a way that was easy to understand & made me feel comfortable...taking the time to explain the fertility cycle and process to me in a way that was easy to understand & made me feel comfortable
[RMA of Southern California is] Extremely efficient: I was in & out of AM monitoring in under 15 minutes every day. Great staff: everyone was very kind, patient, and empathic. Very clean & organized...answering questions, jumping on a face time with me when I forgot how to use the follitism pen (and staying on with me for all my shots!)
How was your experience with Thomas Kim at RMA of Southern California?
Dr Kim is extremely compassionate, patient, and smart -- proactively taking the time to explain the fertility cycle and process to me in a way that was easy to understand & made me feel comfortable. He always remembered details about my history & checked in on how I was doing -- making the process feel seamless. In addition, I had to push my cycle back 2x because of travel schedules -- and he was always empathic and flexible, stating that I was in control of when we do this. He and his staff are also incredibly efficient -- I was in & out in under 15 minutes for my morning monitoring.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Thomas Kim at RMA of Southern California?
RMA will move quickly once you go in -- so feel free to share when an ideal time is for you to do the cycle :)
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Thomas Kim at RMA of Southern California?
Dr Kim is incredibly kind, patient, and empathic -- proactively taking the time to explain the process, fertility cycle, and desired outcome. He laid it all out very clearly (even without me asking!) and checked in on how I was doing when I saw him. In addition, he always remembered details about my fertility history and process -- so I felt like an individual, rather than a number. He made the whole process comfortable, seamless, and efficient -- I'd recommend him (and his amazing nurse team!) to anyone going through this
Describe the protocols Thomas Kim used in your cycles at RMA of Southern California and their degree of success.
Dr Kim's meds were much easier than most of my friends (because I didn't have to mix them myself) & they resulted in less side effects and 43 eggs. He was also careful to monitor my progress & adjust dosage accordingly. Follitism & 1 other drug - I loved it because I didn't have to mix anything (most of my friends had to mix their own meds, which sounds harder/more time consuming), so I just popped the needles into the meds & it was quick/easy. Dr Kim adjusted my dosage 2x throughout the process, given my high # of follicles -- to ensure I'd have less side effects, while still helping my ovaries grow to produce a substantial amount of eggs. I then used Lupron & hCG for my trigger shots - Dr Kim gave me the hCG b/c of a condition I have, but he adjusted the dosage down significantly once he saw how high my estrogen levels were to reduce my potential side effects.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Southern California. (Assigned nurse: Qiana Shuton)
They were extremely compassionate, patient and communicative -- answering questions, jumping on a face time with me when I forgot how to use the follitism pen (and staying on with me for all my shots!), and walking me through how to use the different tools.
Describe your experience with RMA of Southern California.
Extremely efficient: I was in & out of AM monitoring in under 15 minutes every day. Great staff: everyone was very kind, patient, and empathic. Very clean & organized. I'd recommend RMA to anyone going through this - I will definitely use them again if I ever need fertility care
Describe the costs associated with your care under Thomas Kim at RMA of Southern California.
It was about ~$11K in total for the procedures, medicine, and 1st year of storage

2021, Successful
Dr. Kim seemed to genuinely care about my experience during the entire process and the outcome. He prescribed things to make the process as easy and cost effective as possible. He called with results himself, every time, including follow ups to see how I was doing...His approach and philosophy also resulted in less time wasted, less pain, less expense, and more ease in general throughout the process. We got pregnant on the first embryo transfer with him and cannot recommend Dr. Kim enough...
Shelli [nurse at RMA of Southern California] was incredible. She was on hand to answer any questions whenever we had any...She showed tremendous compassion and I really felt like she cared about our journey and outcome. She was also super knowledgeable about available research. The front desk was also a delight. They remembered me every time I was there and were always so friendly and warm...
How was your experience with Thomas Kim at RMA of Southern California?
We had an unbelievable experience with Dr. Kim. We moved to RMA after a terrible experience elsewhere so we have another clinic for comparison. Everything he did felt in our best interest from the get-go and I felt much more like a human being and patient than a lab rat as a result. He seemed to genuinely care -- not just about outcome but about experience. His approach and philosophy also resulted in less time wasted, less pain, less expense, and more ease in general throughout the process. We got pregnant on the first embryo transfer with him and cannot recommend Dr. Kim enough.
Trust him. He's brilliant.
We came from another clinic where I felt totally like a lab rat. This was the complete opposite experience. Dr. Kim seemed to genuinely care about my experience during the entire process and the outcome. He prescribed things to make the process as easy and cost effective as possible. He called with results himself, every time, including follow ups to see how I was doing. He was warm and playful, and he made the cycle we did with him an absolute pleasure.
Based on the IVF medication Dr. Kim prescribed and the success we had with it, I can safely say my previous doctor was overmedicating me. I had fewer shots needed. He also thinks mock ERA cycles were not needed in my case, which cost a lot of time and money at our previous clinic. He also recommended against intrallipid infusions the day of the transfer, and it turns out that wasn't needed either (even though our last doctor upsold us on it). Our previous experience was that anything and everything that COULD work, our last doctor threw at us. Dr. Kim follows the science. He's extremely knowledge and will only ask a woman to undergo certain medication or treatment if and when it's absolutely necessary to achieve the desired outcome. For that I'm super appreciative.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Southern California. (Assigned nurse: Shelli Carter)
Shelli was incredible. She was on hand to answer any questions whenever we had any (even after I was already pregnant and in the care of an OBGYN). She showed tremendous compassion and I really felt like she cared about our journey and outcome. She was also super knowledgeable about available research. The front desk was also a delight. They remembered me every time I was there and were always so friendly and warm. I felt like they really cared too and were a part of what made the experience so pleasurable.
Describe your experience with RMA of Southern California.
Everyone there is super friendly and supportive and I could ramble on for hours about how each and every person on staff made the experience so much easier for us. The only weakness (if I'm pressed to name one) is that I have small veins and would have liked someone available there who was great at drawing my blood every visit (and sometimes it was hit or miss -- but to be fair, that has been my experience everywhere).
Describe Thomas Kim's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of Southern California.
Dr. Kim did eSET for us because he said statistically that results in better success. I can only speak from experience, but it worked for us and now we have multiple embyos left over for the next pregnancy attempt.

2020, Unknown Success
Dr Kim is not in favor of dual embryo transfers...He's a true scientist at heart, he really enjoys the process, and the lab work that the embryologist is doing. He wants you to understand the science the same way he does, so he's happy to show images and explain ultrasounds all in real time. He's never too busy for a teaching moment...
RMA Southern CA doesn't do very many cycles per year - less than 500...Despite being a satellite office for a large national clinic, RMA in Southern CA feels more "boutique" than it does national. All the nursing staff knows my name and everyone is up to speed on my specific information...Shared Risk program cost $32,000 for up to 6 egg retrievals and unlimited number of embryo transfers. If unsuccessful, a portion or all of the amount paid is refunded.
How was your experience with Thomas Kim at RMA of Southern California?
I was reluctant to choose a male doctor - but decided to choose a clinic based on the lab instead of the doctor. I got very lucky with Dr. Kim! He's a true scientist at heart, he really enjoys the process, and the lab work that the embryologist is doing. He wants you to understand the science the same way he does, so he's happy to show images and explain ultrasounds all in real time. He's never too busy for a teaching moment.
He enjoys answering questions.
RMA's headquarters are in NJ and they do some huge number of cycles annually (I think it's over 7,000 - you can check on Fertility IQ). But the Southern California branch is small - they do fewer than 500 per year. This provides the expertise of a national lab, but also the intimacy of a boutique clinic. Everyone always new my name.
I don't know if my protocols had specific names. For the first 2 IUIs we used Chlomid. For the third IUI we used the Follistim pen injection. None of the IUIs were successful. For the Egg Retrieval we used a combination of Flotsam, Estrace (orally), and Ganirelix, Lupron, and Novarel. For the FET we used Estrace (orally), and progesterone in oil injections.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Southern California. (Assigned nurse: Shelli)
The Head nurse at RMA Southern CA is Shelli. She is incredibly capable and intelligent and organized - all important for her job. But beyond the basic functions of her position, she is one of those people who is so well suited for what she does. She has the personality and the demeanor to be encouraging but also to stick to the facts.
Describe your experience with RMA of Southern California.
RMA Southern CA doesn't do very many cycles per year - less than 500. So they do not have any data on Fertility IQ. I strongly suggest you look at their parent headquarter office RMA in New Jersey to see the quality of work their lab is doing. If you are interested in selecting a clinic based on labs or statistics, then RMA is a clinic you want to keep on your short list. Feel free to ask their staff direct questions about success rates. Despite being a satellite office for a large national clinic, RMA in Southern CA feels more "boutique" than it does national. All the nursing staff knows my name and everyone is up to speed on my specific information. It feels like concierge medicine. We qualified for the Shared Risk program with RMA which did require us to pay before starting treatment. I know shared risk is not for everyone, but for us it was a huge relief and allowed us to focus on the treatment. Meter parking is always available on the side street. And the adjoining office building has courtyard with a cafe, so your partner has a nice outdoor area to wait since covid protocols are still in place.
RMA does offer a pay-as-you-go option, but we selected the Shared Risk program, which is slightly more expensive upfront, but it caps your costs so they don't spiral out of control if you need multiple retrievals or embryo transfers. Each IUI cost approx. $1300 (about $240/visit + medications) This amount can fluctuate depending on how you're responding to meds. Shared Risk program cost $32,000 for up to 6 egg retrievals and unlimited number of embryo transfers. If unsuccessful, a portion or all of the amount paid is refunded.
Dr Kim is not in favor of dual embryo transfers.

2020, Unknown Success
Dr. Kim is very even keel and realistic, knowledgeable and transparent. He described my treatment plans, provided expectations that made sense for me based on my situation (not just someone my age), and was very communicative. He is very genuine and you can tell that he cares about getting a successful outcome...He is a great communicator - happy to share information whenever asked, or explain things in more detail, but also doesn't bombard you with so much data that you can go down the rabbit hole. I appreciate his calm demeanor and his knowledge. He saw me at all monitoring visits and procedures, and seems to be very skilled. I had few side effects from retrievals, and with two rounds of egg retrievals for IVF I had very similar (and positive) results. He c
Shelli [nurse at RMA of Southern California] is great about following up with test results, checking in at the start of the retrieval cycle and on trigger day to make sure you know everything, and going over all protocols...This clinic is very comfortable - it's super clean and you feel comfortable and welcomed, but it also has the look & feel of a medical practice. I first started coming here during the pandemic, so have only seen the clinic operate using COVID protocols. This includes a health screening when they confirm your appointment, taking your temperature and another verbal health screening at check-in, chairs are socially distanced (although I was never waiting with anyone else), everyone wears masks, and partners can't come to appointments. The only time you won't have a mask on is during the retrieval itself. The location is well accessible - close to the 10/405 split. There is parking, but I th
How was your experience with Thomas Kim at RMA of Southern California?
Dr. Kim is fantastic. I had done an initial consult at another clinic, where the doctor was overly enthusiastic, quick to jump to treatment, and used a lot of euphemisms. This made my husband and I really uncomfortable, as we wanted to understand the science of ART, what we could realistically expect, and what the process would be. Dr. Kim is a perfect fit for us - he wants you to be successful and treats you as a person, but also is great at explaining where you are in your fertility and setting realistic expectations (i.e. if my AMH is low and my AFC on day 3 is 8, a successful retrieval may be 7 eggs, not 30). He is a great communicator - happy to share information whenever asked, or explain things in more detail, but also doesn't bombard you with so much data that you can go down the rabbit hole. I appreciate his calm demeanor and his knowledge. He saw me at all monitoring visits and procedures, and seems to be very skilled. I had few side effects from retrievals, and with two rounds of egg retrievals for IVF I had very similar (and positive) results. He checked in before and after, and is very patient with any questions. We are so grateful that we found this practice.
Stay calm and don't rush. I think that Dr. Kim is very methodical because he wants to get the best outcome for you (and the outcome is a healthy pregnancy). This may mean things take a little longer - you're not going to start the retrieval process the day of your consult, and since FET is their standard of care, it's going to be another month or more before you transfer. I think it's worth it - I'd rather not rush it. I appreciate that we waited a bit between my two retrieval cycles for my ovaries to calm down and have a better AFC, and he hasn't rushed me on the transfer, either, instead providing guidance on the best timing.
IVF - We had the antagonist protocol (Follistim + low-dose HCG, Ganirelix, Leuprolide, Trigger Shot). In one round I was on BCP for a couple of weeks, in the other I wasn't but just had some estrace priming. In one cycle things went a little slower, so I was on Follistim a little longer than the first one, but all was good. I haven't yet started the transfer protocol.
Shelli is amazing! You'll wind up speaking/emailing with her the most, as she is the main point of contact when you call or e-mail. She is a fantastic communicator, understands the science, is compassionate while also being transparent, and has fantastic bedside manner during the retrieval. If there's an outstanding question, she follows up. She, too, really cares about a successful outcome. I can't imagine having as positive an experience as I have had if she were not at this practice. Shelli is great about following up with test results, checking in at the start of the retrieval cycle and on trigger day to make sure you know everything, and going over all protocols. She was also great with helping me navigate the pharmacy side of things, as my insurance covered some items but not everything was available.
Describe your experience with RMA of Southern California.
Strengths - This is a smaller clinic that's part of a larger clinical network. To me, this means the best of both worlds: you get the insights from their cutting-edge technology and research, but you also have continuity of seeing the same doctors and nurses and staff when you come in. All of the staff here are so pleasant and skilled. The phlebotomists draw blood (and there's a lot of it) without any discomfort! They are responsive, it's easy enough to get appointments, and they are quick - I don't think I ever waited for more than 5 minutes. The surgical center (for retrievals/transfers) is on site, as is the embryology lab. The only thing not performed on site is the PGT-A testing; they send the biopsies to the east coast. Another critical thing for me was insurance coverage. I am fortunate enough to have fertility treatments covered by my employer-based insurance, but many "in-network" fertility specialists that I reached out to (including both that my OB-GYN had initially recommended) did not do all of the treatment, and elements of the treatment would be out of network. Because of RMA-So Cal's set-up, the monitoring, retrievals, and fertilization/culturing were all in-house and therefore in-network. The only items out of network are anesthesiology during egg retrieval and the chromosomal testing. I've seen some clinics that look like a "spa" experience (i.e. chandeliers) or instagram-worthy. That makes me feel a bit uncomfortable - at the end of the day, it's a medical clinic. This clinic is very comfortable - it's super clean and you feel comfortable and welcomed, but it also has the look & feel of a medical practice. I first started coming here during the pandemic, so have only seen the clinic operate using COVID protocols. This includes a health screening when they confirm your appointment, taking your temperature and another verbal health screening at check-in, chairs are socially distanced (although I was never waiting with anyone else), everyone wears masks, and partners can't come to appointments. The only time you won't have a mask on is during the retrieval itself. The location is well accessible - close to the 10/405 split. There is parking, but I think it's pricey - there are a lot of much cheaper meters (which are free before 8), and you'll always be in and out within 15-30 mins. There is also bike parking in the garage. Not a weakness, per se, but when you're a new patient scheduling an appointment, it goes to a call center in NJ (where their largest practice or HQ is). It took a few days to hear back, which worried me at first. Have no fear! Once you become a patient, it's so easy to reach this clinic directly and get appointments quickly.
My treatments were largely covered by insurance, so I don't have a great sense of out-of-pocket fees. Anesthesia for retrieval was ~$450. PGT-A testing is $300/embryo - I think this is great as many clinics charge a lump sum per batch which is far more expensive (thousands of dollars). I think you'd need to have double-digit embryos for the cost to even get close to what others charge for PGT-A testing. They work with MDR pharmacy for the stim cycle drugs, unless if your insurance requires another provider. Mine was a hybrid of sorts. The Follistim was ~$250 per vial (1 vial/day) and the low-dose HCG was around $200. MDR is far less expensive than the pharmacy my insurance works with; I think they mentioned that the cash price for a stim cycle would run around $2,500-3,000 had I purchased everything from MDR.
I think eSET is the standard of care here, but have not yet done a transfer. We are planning to do SET.
Los Angeles

[Dr. Thomas Kim] is just a great person - always taking time to answer my questions or check in on me even if I was just there for bloodwork. I felt so cared about as a human...truly took the time to get to know us as people. He is candid without being callous and hopeful without overpromising. He was always available to answer questions and explain where we were headed. One example that comes to mind is that after every ultrasound, he would offer me his hand and help me into a sitting position so we could have a conversation. Something about that made me feel like a human and not just a number or a patient. He is so respectful. Just a gentle, kind man.
I cannot say enough good things about the team at RMA. Every single one of them was kind, compassionate, and knew who I was when I walked in...Retrieval Cycle - $13,600 (includes all visits, ultrasounds, bloodwork, the retrieval itself) $450 for anesthesia (outside party) PGS testing recommended...appreciate how research focused they are. It makes you confident in the approaches they are taking. So thankful for my experience here.
How was your experience with Thomas Kim at RMA of Southern California?
Doctor Kim truly took the time to get to know us as people. He is candid without being callous and hopeful without overpromising. He was always available to answer questions and explain where we were headed. One example that comes to mind is that after every ultrasound, he would offer me his hand and help me into a sitting position so we could have a conversation. Something about that made me feel like a human and not just a number or a patient. He is so respectful. Just a gentle, kind man.
Don’t be afraid to ask questions! Doctor Kim is efficient and sometimes can explain things quickly. If you need clarification, don’t be afraid to ask for it.
From the moment I called RMA SoCal, I felt peace. Everyone I interacted with was kind, compassionate, and respectful. Doctor Kim is just a great person - always taking time to answer my questions or check in on me even if I was just there for bloodwork. I felt so cared about as a human.
Doctor Kim put me on an antagonist protocol. Despite my low ovarian reserve, he felt good about my antral follicle count. I was on Gonal F (400iu) and low dose hCG (20iu). For the last 4 days we added in cetrotide. Trigger shot and retrieval 36 hours later. 9 eggs were retrieved - which was better than what was expected. Unfortunately, only 4 were mature. All 4 fertilized. 1 made it to day 5/6.
I cannot say enough good things about the team at RMA. Every single one of them was kind, compassionate, and knew who I was when I walked in. Azalea and Brittany were always there with a smile and a kind word. Our nurse, Shelli, is wonderful. She was always prompt in replying to emails and making sure I had the information that I needed. She helped out when I wanted to order my meds overseas and answered my many questions. Every person I came into contact with in that office created a comforting environment. Is it strange to almost look forward to your appointment because you enjoy the people you’ll see when you get there? That’s RMA.
Describe your experience with RMA of Southern California.
I would recommend RMA to friends and strangers alike. That’s why I’m here! My first clinic made me feel like a number. RMA is the complete opposite. You are a cared about human here. They are great communicators, we always had an easy time getting appointments when we needed them, they worked around our schedule. I also appreciate how research focused they are. It makes you confident in the approaches they are taking. So thankful for my experience here.
Retrieval Cycle - $13,600 (includes all visits, ultrasounds, bloodwork, the retrieval itself) $450 for anesthesia (outside party) PGS testing recommended - $250/embryo I have not made it to transfer, but I know that’s about $4,500 They also do your check ups until 7 weeks which I believe run somewhere around $150/visit.
Doctor Kim is pretty firmly behind a SET. They are very confident in the embryos they grow at RMA and feel single embryo is the safest choice.
What specific things went wrong at RMA of Southern California?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of Southern California.
The only thing that was a challenge during our retrieval cycle happened because I needed to take my medication midday. They were changing up my protocol in the day or two leading up to retrieval, but I didn’t get that information until after already taking my medication for the day. That caused a bit of stress, but all ended up being fine.

2022 - 2023, Successful
Dr. Kim took the time to understand my personal background - both related to infertility and not - and explained the reproductive process and the diagnosis I had received at a previous clinic clearly and with respect to my ethnicity and medical history. This continued every step of the way...is extremely intelligent and understanding. He took me seriously as an individual, and seemed really invested in a positive outcome for our family. He took time to answer any question I had. I appreciated that he performed almost every ultrasound personally
[RMA of Southern California] Strengths: 1. Very small clinic, so it's extremely personalized...very single ultrasound was performed by one of the doctors or Emily, the nurse practitioner -- someone I knew and who knew me. 2. It's connected to the larger RMA network, so they are at the forefront of research...3. Dr. Kim is no-nonsense...4. They were very flexible about allowing my acupuncturist to treat me in house. Weaknesses...I don't love their email system or the app they use. The emails are difficult to access from a mobile device, and the app doesn't update consistently.
How was your experience with Thomas Kim at RMA of Southern California?
Dr. Kim is extremely intelligent and understanding. He took me seriously as an individual, and seemed really invested in a positive outcome for our family. He took time to answer any question I had. I appreciated that he performed almost every ultrasound personally, and that he reviewed the results of any ultrasound performed by Dr. Landay or NP Emily Wright. He also put me at ease - one of the first things he told me was that I was paying him a lot of money for his expertise and knowledge, and that I should focus on all the other areas of my life and not stress about doing all the research or letting anxiety get in the way of my treatments. I appreciated this, because IVF is so stressful, and in general, I have issues with stress triggering physical symptoms. But, even with that caveat, he always answered my questions thoroughly and with tenderness - I was never brushed off, just reassured that I was in good hands. I also appreciated that he didn't overwhelm me with information - he shared each step of the protocol as it was necessary for me to know, since he was flexible about making adjustments when necessary and wanted to minimize my anxiety.
He is open to questions and feedback, so be vocal! Trust him when he says he cares.
I felt like a human from the moment I walked in. I have a lot of allergies to foods and medications, and am usually not taken seriously by medical professionals. Priscillia, the tech who took my initial vitals and general intake, took my medical history extremely seriously, and went over the ingredients that would be used in the ultrasound for my consultation. During my consultation, Dr. Kim took the time to understand my personal background - both related to infertility and not - and explained the reproductive process and the diagnosis I had received at a previous clinic clearly and with respect to my ethnicity and medical history. This continued every step of the way. Each person I spoke to - from billing to reception to medical techs to nurses to doctors - knew who I was, what my medical history entailed, what my fertility history entailed, and where my anxieties lay. I was offered services specific to my religious practice. Most importantly, when I suffered an ectopic pregnancy followed the first transfer and had to go to the ER to terminate it, Dr. Kim and the on-call nurse Merrissa were in constant communication with the ER doctor, even though it was a Saturday. Additionally, Dr. Kim tweaked my treatment protocols based on my unique sensitivities.
For my egg retrieval, I did injections of low dose HCG and Follistim and trigger shot before retrieval. For my first transfer cycle, I took estradiol, initially 2 doses of 2mg orally and then upped to 3 doses, one vaginally. Then, I added injections of progesterone in olive oil (I have a sesame allergy)- 1 cc daily. I used metrogel the night before the transfer and a progesterone suppository the morning of. I did get pregnant, but it resulted in a likely ectopic pregnancy which I had terminated in the ER with injections of methotrexate. We switched treatment protocols for my second transfer, since Dr. Kim hypothesized that my extreme allergic history may have led to inflammation of my uterus, and we weren't 100% confirmed that the pregnancy was ectopic (I was told by the ER doctor that this is the case 15% of the time - the embryo was growing at a rate that indicated it was ectopic and I experienced severe cramping and bleeding but the embryo could not be found in either my uterus or fallopian tubes). The second transfer protocol included only 2mg of estradiol 2x a day, progesterone in olive oil at 1cc 1x a day, doxycycline to prevent infection (about a week before), medrol steroids to prevent inflammation (3 days before, day of, day after), metrogel, and a progesterone suppository. This transfer did not result in a pregnancy. For my third transfer, we switched to a natural protocol, as Dr. Kim hypothesized that perhaps my immune system was reacting to the embryo as a foreign body since the whole cycle was synthetic, and if we convinced my body that it was pregnant naturally, the embryo would stick properly. For this cycle, we began with birth control, then letrazole pills to boost ovulation. I didn't respond as well to the letrazole as expected, so he tweaked the protocol to add in a few days of Follistim, initially at 100 and then dialed down to 75 and then back to 100. This stimulated three eggs, and then we triggered ovulation. Then, I did progesterone in olive oil injections (1cc) - usually the protocol would be a progesterone suppository, but I was allergic to the inactive ingredients in the suppository so Dr. Kim adjusted the medication. I had had a bad stomach reaction to the doxycycline, so we nixed that but kept the steroids in from the previous cycle, with a slightly adjusted timeline (2 days before, 1 day of, 2 days after), metrogel, and progesterone suppository. This resulted in a pregnancy, and I am now nearly 20 weeks along! Some other notes - a previous doctor suggested I take Vitamin B, a probiotic, Vitamin D, and magnesium. I did this for my egg retrieval and the first transfer cycle (minus the Vitamin B, 5000 IU of Vitamin D). I didn't feel great on all the vitamins and skipped them for cycle #2. On Dr. Kim's recommendation, I added them back in for cycle #3 (2000 IU vitamin D). I also did acupuncture before each procedure - 12 sessions before my egg retrieval, weekly before my transfers, as well as one treatment before and after each transfer. Dr. Kim was supportive of acupuncture and made space for my acupuncturist to treat me in the clinic.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Southern California. (Assigned nurse: Three nurses, one for each cycle. Emily Wright oversaw my egg retrieval and first transfer. Torrie Washington took over my second transfer when Emily went on maternity leave. I had issues with Torrie, so I requested a switch and was assigned to Merrissa Wowk.)
I had different experiences with each nurse. Emily, my first nurse, and a nurse practitioner, was very good. She had excellent bedside manner, especially following my pregnancy termination. There were times I felt like she didn't explain everything super clearly - I was a bit more nervous about doing the injections correctly than I think she understood. But overall, she was a good communicator and very competent, and I felt safe and cared for. Torrie was my second nurse. She was very new and it showed. My only concern at all with RMA is my experience with Torrie. She had terrible bedside manner - sometimes was rude, dismissive, and acted like I was bothering her when I had questions. But most egregiously, she made several mistakes. She called in some prescriptions incorrectly, not paying attention to my allergies. She had difficulty placing the ultrasound monitor during my second transfer and Dr. Kim had to take over. She also gave me misinformation about when to start taking birth control pills for my third cycle. I had a feeling she was wrong (she suggested I take them on Sunday regardless of whether I started my period, and I'd always been told to take birth control at the start of a menstrual cycle). I called the clinic to address my concerns and switch nurses, and Pooja, who was the nurse in charge, was extremely understanding, immediately switched my care to Merrissa, clarified my medication instructions, and promised to review Torrie's training. To her credit, I had a medication emergency at 6am when Torrie was the on call nurse, and she was kinder to me then and made sure to contact Merrissa before giving me advice because she said she didn't know the answer and wanted to make sure she gave me the correct information. I appreciated that growth. Merrissa is AMAZING!!! I am so glad she got to be my nurse. She took care of me virtually as the on-call nurse when I had to go to the ER for the ectopic pregnancy and was incredibly knowledgeable and compassionate. As my primary nurse, she took the time to explain each step of the protocol, made sure I understood the medication instructions, took care to pivot with regards to my allergies, and had the most wonderful bedside manner. I felt so safe with her. She was invested in my journey and really understood me as an individual. I wish she could be my nurse throughout pregnancy. Also - shoutout to Pooja. Not only was she helpful in solving my issues with Torrie, but she was the on call nurse one night when I had a medication emergency and calmly talked my husband through it (I was too upset to get on the phone). She also prepped me for my egg retrieval. I have small veins, and it was difficult to hook in the IV, and she led a team for 45 minutes to get the IV inserted, keeping me calm the entire time and taking care to avoid triggering a nerve condition I have in my right leg that can be exacerbated by needles.
Describe your experience with RMA of Southern California.
Strengths: 1. Very small clinic, so it's extremely personalized. Even on the rare occasion I was treated by Dr. Landay, the other doctor in the practice, I was reassured that she knew everything about my specific case. Every single ultrasound was performed by one of the doctors or Emily, the nurse practitioner -- someone I knew and who knew me. 2. It's connected to the larger RMA network, so they are at the forefront of research. This was also helpful because I had to get an ultrasound over Thanksgiving weekend and was able to visit the clinic in New Jersey for my monitoring while I was visiting family on the east coast. Dr. Kim made it clear that it was important for my mental health to get time with family, and I was lucky to have access to the extended team. 3. Dr. Kim is no-nonsense. At another clinic I went to, I felt blamed for my infertility, and was given advice to change my lifestyle in ways I found extremely stressful. Here, Dr. Kim was clear that it my decreased ovarian reserve was a genetic condition and no amount of changing my lifestyle could give me more eggs. It took a lot of pressure off, and allowed me to focus on my treatment and my life. 4. They were very flexible about allowing my acupuncturist to treat me in house. Weaknesses: 1. Torrie was not a good nurse. I hope she gets more training. 2. I don't love their email system or the app they use. The emails are difficult to access from a mobile device, and the app doesn't update consistently.
Egg retrieval - $15,500 Anesthesia - $550 PGT-A - $300 per embryo PGT-M - $400 per embryo Transfer - $4575 These prices are for those with no coverage for infertility. Some blood tests and ultrasounds were run through my insurance. The clinic uses MDR pharmacy, which offers some of the best discounts on fertility meds and provides all syringes, alcohol swabs, and sharps containers for free, and they offer some patient discounts on certain medications.
RMA Socal only performs single embroy transfers, and I think that's great.
What specific things went wrong at RMA of Southern California?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of Southern California.
Torrie forgot to call in medication once, and on several occasions called in medications I was allergic to. She also gave me the wrong information regarding when to start birth control. However, the other nurses were exceptional, and Merrissa in particular was very clear about my allergies and made sure to call in the right doses and double check everything.

2023, Consult
He [Dr. Thomas Kim] was extremely rude and condescending. At the consult he told an elaborate story about "an ideal American couple" with very generic names and good careers and super fertile which wasn't relevant and very triggering. He literally laughed at me when I shared a statistic I read. When I complained to the office about him, he went on to call me back and again was pushy with his perspective even though I said I never wanted to work with him.
I was able to get an appointment quickly [at RMA of Southern California]. The office was clean and there was plenty of spots to wait. They had extra masks. They didn't lose any of my information. All emails were sent in a secure platform (except the email from Dr. Kim). I was seen quickly once I arrived at the clinic. They took my vitals and weight and height...[Dr. Thomas Kim] was was extremely rude and condescending
How was your experience with Thomas Kim at RMA of Southern California?
During our consult for some reason he told an elaborate story about "Sarah" and "John" who were two "all-American good looking couple with great jobs. John works in technology. Sarah works in business. They have a home and Sarah is very fertile". The story went on for forever and it wasn't relevant to me or to my situation but he kept on telling it. And he wasn't sensitive to the fact that as someone with POI/DOR I was not interested in hearing the success rates of a highly fertile couple. Also how much money they make and their hypothetical home and hypothetical jobs weren't relevant at all. I gave him a statistic from NIH and Pub med that he literally laughed at. I left the appointment upset. I emailed a complaint and he called me back and said "sorry I came across in a bad way but I just want to tell you that I'm right" so basically in "apologizing" he was more concerned about his ego and being proven right. Even though he actually was wrong and I sent the link to the research article to prove it. On the phone call he kept berating me again about how unlikely it is that I will ever get pregnant. Which I already know but he did not need to do that. All he needed to do was apologize and I didn't even ask the office for an apology. But instead he said "sorry if I came across wrong but I just really want you to know how impossible it will be for you to get pregnant". Again, unneeded. I hung up on him and emailed the office again telling them I never want to work with them and I don't want him to ever contact me again and then got ANOTHER email from him again repeating again how impossible pregnancy would be for me. It was like he wanted to crush every hope and wish. I get it. 5% is not a great statistic but you don't have to keep telling me that over and over when I already said I don't want to work with you.
Just skip the consult all together.
He was extremely rude and condescending. At the consult he told an elaborate story about "an ideal American couple" with very generic names and good careers and super fertile which wasn't relevant and very triggering. He literally laughed at me when I shared a statistic I read. When I complained to the office about him, he went on to call me back and again was pushy with his perspective even though I said I never wanted to work with him.
He recommended donor eggs
Describe your experience with RMA of Southern California.
I was able to get an appointment quickly. The office was clean and there was plenty of spots to wait. They had extra masks. They didn't lose any of my information. All emails were sent in a secure platform (except the email from Dr. Kim). I was seen quickly once I arrived at the clinic. They took my vitals and weight and height.
The consult was $500

2019 - 2021, Successful
2 Embryo Freezing With Other Docs
Dr. Kim was a great fit for our family and situation, and our interaction with him was a high point in a long fertility journey that included fertility medications, IVF, surrogacy and plenty of other complications before we were blessed with our children. This is a wonderful doctor if you enjoy straightforward communication, being as active a participant as you want in your treatment decision, and evidence-based treatments.
RMA of SoCal is a finely tuned machine. I had almost 0 wait time in all my many visits. They are organized with patient records and in communication. Overall this clinic made a traditionally traumatic experience much better and even enjoyable at times. I recommend them highly...[nurse] Shelli Carter at RMA is an absolute gem, compassionate, always 100% organized - all of my 30 or so visits here started and ended in time. She answered all the questions I had throughout my cycles (connecting me with Dr Kim if necessary), provided supplemental data I asked for, and exercised a high level of care and involvement in my treatment. She is amazing!
How was your experience with Thomas Kim at RMA of Southern California?
Be straightforward and ask any questions you have about the process. Dr. Kim is very patient and knowledgeable.
Dr Kim and his staff were with me for three years of fertility treatments, including a beautiful surrogate journey and a surprise natural pregnancy. Communication was prompt, appointments always started on time, I got answers to all questions about my treatment. Overall I felt the team truly cared. Appointments were always a great part of my day.
Letrozole resulted in a chemical pregnancy 3 IVF freeze-all: retrieved 35 eggs resulting in 8 PGS normal embryos. Lining was always way too thin for a transfer and was unresponsive to estrogen. We progressed to surrogacy for one of the frozen embryos -> first transfer worked -> living child I had 1 successful natural pregnancy almost a great later. Although this was not a pregnancy created at RMA, they were kind enough to give full monitoring up to 9weeks, where I was transferred to an OB -> currently 25 weeks pregnant.
Describe your experience with RMA of Southern California.
Dr. Kim recommends eSET for euploid frozen embryos.

2021, Successful
Dr. Kim spent so much time talking to me about my history, different treatment options, and expected outcomes. And every single time I had an appointment at the clinic, I saw Dr. Kim...he's honest and tells it how it is...I was grateful to Dr. Kim for sharing facts and science to back everything that he recommended, and for explaining the information in a way that made sense and was digestible...
Shelli [nurse at RMA of Southern California] was FANTASTIC. She always called me the same day I was seen for morning monitoring and spent ample time thoroughly reviewing my levels, my meds, and answering my hundred questions...I always saw the same few faces during my appointments, which made the experience feel much warmer...And I never waited more than a few minutes to be seen. And the clinic itself is beautiful - it looks brand new, and so modern....
How was your experience with Thomas Kim at RMA of Southern California?
Dr. Kim has all the qualities of a fantastic doctor. He is kind and gentle with his approach - I always felt how invested he was in my success. At the same time, he's honest and tells it how it is. As someone who is naturally a control freak in life, it was very difficult for me to accept that I can't control my fertility. But I was grateful to Dr. Kim for sharing facts and science to back everything that he recommended, and for explaining the information in a way that made sense and was digestible. It made the uncontrollable feel a little more manageable.
Don't be afraid to ask questions! If something doesn't make sense to you straight away, Dr. Kim will be able to explain it clearly so that you feel comfortable with the information.
From the beginning, Dr. Kim spent so much time talking to me about my history, different treatment options, and expected outcomes. And every single time I had an appointment at the clinic, I saw Dr. Kim. He managed my care from A-Z! Additionally, while I was in cycle and going in for monitoring visits, his nurse Shelli would call me that same afternoon and review my lab results and medications for the following few days. I always felt SO taken care of by the two of them.
For my retrieval cycle, I had an antagonist cycle IVF with PGT-A. Used Estrace, Follistim, low dose HCG, Ganirelix, and Pregnyl/Lupron trigger. I responded much better than anticipated, so Dr. Kim adjusted my meds and dosage as I got closer to my retrieval. He had me trigger at the perfect time to maximize the number of eggs retrieved as well as avoid hyperstimulation. For my transfer cycle, I had a medicated cycle and took Estrace and progesterone (in oil, intramuscular).
Shelli was FANTASTIC. She always called me the same day I was seen for morning monitoring and spent ample time thoroughly reviewing my levels, my meds, and answering my hundred questions. She was just as invested and instrumental in my care as Dr. Kim, and I am so so thankful she was my nurse.
Describe your experience with RMA of Southern California.
Love the entire staff at RMA!! I always saw the same few faces during my appointments, which made the experience feel much warmer. The girls at the front desk always greeted me with a smile, asked me how I was doing, and celebrated each milestone along with me, which was so sweet and comforting. I was always able to get an appointment quickly and super early in the morning, so I wouldn't have to miss work. And I never waited more than a few minutes to be seen. And the clinic itself is beautiful - it looks brand new, and so modern.
1 Embryo Freezing With Other Docs
Dr. Kim is very patient, during our first consult, he took time to understand our prior failure with another clinic and the protocol that we followed. He was very honest and forthcoming in answering all our questions/concerns. After our first consult, I had complete faith in his approach and treatment protocol for us...We used the long lupron protocol, stimmed for 8 days, resulting in 11 eggs, 8 fertilized with ICSI, and we had 2 day 6 blastocysts. We elected to do PGS, which resulted in a single normal embryo.
[RMA New Jersey] Strengths: - Excellent team of doctors and nurses. Every single doctor I met was extremely efficient and also friendly. - Excellent embryology lab, this is a critical factor in their success rates. - Short wait times for monitoring, I was in and out in about 15-30 minutes...Nicole was my primary point of contact throughout my treatment (IVF/FET) cycles. She would call me back with results, instructions and next steps in a timely manner. On days when she was out of office, the person covering would always reach out in a timely manner as well. She promptly responded to all my phone calls and emails.
How was your experience with Thomas Kim at RMA of New Jersey?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Thomas Kim at RMA of New Jersey?
Dr. Kim and entire staff of RMA treated me with empathy, kindness and excellent attention to detail. I was never made to feel like another statistic/number, I believe my doctor and nurse sincerely cared for the outcome of my treatment.
Describe the protocols Thomas Kim used in your cycles at RMA of New Jersey and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Nicole Michaels)
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New Jersey.
Monitoring was very efficient. I went to Basking ridge location for most of my monitoring.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Thomas Kim at RMA of New Jersey.
I had excellent insurance coverage, which covered most of treatment cost. I was responsible for co-pays, deductible, co-insurances.

2012 - 2016, Successful
At times he [Dr. Kim] seemed cold and clinical but I can appreciate now how being a Doctor Who is more emotional about it would've made it harder for me. ..When it came time to decide whether not to do a fourth cycle he laid out the odds for us in a very matter-of-fact factor and again I appreciate that he was not emotional about it and try to use percentages and averages to explain what the possibilities were of things working
I was still working full-time in New York when I had to go through treatments [at RMA] so while some people may not like the fact they see the same doctor or staff every time they come in it was a strength for me since I didn't ever have to worry about getting an appointment for blood work...The only problem I had was with the accounting department...Maria made the whole process much more painful and if I could have moved clinics I would have.
How was your experience with Thomas Kim at RMA of New Jersey?
Overall I was happy. At times he seemed cold and clinical but I can appreciate now how being a Doctor Who is more emotional about it would've made it harder for me. I think you did a good job at explaining what we were dealing with. When it came time to decide whether not to do a fourth cycle he laid out the odds for us in a very matter-of-fact factor and again I appreciate that he was not emotional about it and try to use percentages and averages to explain what the possibilities were of things working
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Thomas Kim at RMA of New Jersey?
I think I think as a patient you have to take into consideration your personality and when interviewing prospective doctors consider how their bedside manner will work as either a pro or con for you
I think he had a good combination of being frank about what we were dealing with but being sympathetic to the situation
After reviewing the percentage of successful birth with IUI compared IVF it only seemed to make sense to do the IVF since it had such a higher rate of success even though it was more invasive. Looking back now on the second cycle we did which we started as an IVF but switched are you why because my follicles were not growing properly seems like kind of a waste of money
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of New Jersey.
You saw different people different nurses different doctors every time you went in but working full time made it difficult to schedule things. This clinic turned out to be the right situation for us because we could always get a early morning appointments before heading to work even though I only saw Dr. Kim I handful of times
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
Drinks would be the flexibility. I was still working full-time in New York when I had to go through treatments so while some people may not like the fact they see the same doctor or staff every time they come in it was a strength for me since I didn't ever have to worry about getting an appointment for blood work
Too many to remember but I think each IVF retrieval cycle cost about $6000 and medication cost another $4000. The frozen transfer cost about $3000 and the medications about $1500
Describe Thomas Kim's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New Jersey.
We had already decided we were only going to do one embryo at a time and did not want to chance twins. Also out of four attempts of IVF cycles we only ended up with two embryos and decided to transfer them separately anyway. If we had ended up with more embryos I still don't think we would have done multiple transfers
What specific things went wrong at RMA of New Jersey?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New Jersey.
The only problem I had was with the accounting department. Having to pay for everything out of pocket was stressful. Maria made the whole process much more painful and if I could have moved clinics I would have.
Basking Ridge

He [Dr Kim] was patient and kind and explained everything thoroughly. There was excellent communication. At our initial consult, Dr. Kim explained everything in such detail and made sure we understood what was going on. Once testing and treatment started, my nurse was an amazing resource and would contact me sometimes multiple times a day to update me and check on how I was doing.
I have been nothing but happy with them [RMA of New Jersey]. Their wait times are excellent - during morning bloodwork I'm normally in and out in less than ten minutes. I've never had to wait more than 15 minutes. Their lab is top notch. They don't check on embryos until day 5, which can be nerve wracking, but it is better for the embryos to not be disturbed. The whole team is very professional....There was excellent communication. At our initial consult, Dr. Kim explained everything in such detail and made sure we understood what was going on. Once testing and treatment started, my nurse was an amazing resource and would contact me sometimes multiple times a day to update me and check on how I was doing.
How was your experience with Thomas Kim at RMA of New Jersey?
He was patient and kind and explained everything thoroughly.
I was on an estrogen-primed antagonist protocol. I had bloodwork and ultrasounds on day 3 (baseline), after 3 days of stims, after 5 days, and after 6 days. I triggered after 6 days of stims. My stims were 150 IU of menopur and 200 IU of follistim. I started ganirelix on day 4 of stims. At my egg retrieval, 3 eggs were retrieved, of which 2 were mature. Both of my two eggs were fertilized with ICSI and both made it to 5 day blastocysts. One was transferred to me, resulting in my current pregnancy, and the other was frozen. I am very pleased with these results, especially with my DOR.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Anne Tepper )
Anne was absolutely wonderful. She was my main line of communication and was incredibly easy to reach. Some days she would call me multiple times to update me and see how I was doing. She didn't let any setbacks get to me and kept reminding me of the end goal. I would highly recommend her.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
I have been nothing but happy with them. Their wait times are excellent - during morning bloodwork I'm normally in and out in less than ten minutes. I've never had to wait more than 15 minutes. Their lab is top notch. They don't check on embryos until day 5, which can be nerve wracking, but it is better for the embryos to not be disturbed. The whole team is very professional.
Morning monitoring is between 6-7:30 on weekdays (until 10 on weekends). I never had to wait more than a few minutes. They understand that you have to go to work and get you in and out quickly and efficiently, while still feeling cared for.
My insurance covered almost everything except for the occasional $10 copay and the cost for embryo cryopreservation and storage (explicitly excluded as part of the NJ state mandate).
2013 - 2015, Successful
Dr. Kim is a professional and experienced. We liked to call him the "embryo whisperer", as we always had positive results when he did our transfers. As his patient, he came down to personally do my transfers. I appreciated that.... When we went back to Dr. Kim to try again after our loss, he grieved with us and made us feel like we had a second chance. And we did. We did two back-to-back retrievals and the first embryo we transferred resulted in my now three year old son.
RMANJ is a excellent clinic with high success rates and experienced, usually compassionate doctors that are willing to work with you to provide the best standard of care. The office visits are very efficient. That said, one of the downsides is probably a long wait time for initial consults and workups. Usually a month or more out.... Ann Tepper was my nurse when I got pregnant with the twins...and then when I came back for my eSet with my son.
How was your experience with Thomas Kim at RMA of New Jersey?
You do deal with the nurses more than the actual doctor on a day-to-day basic, but if you have questions or concerns ... always feel that you can reach out to him.
Dr. Kim is compassionate. Our first transfer of two embryos resulting in a twin pregnancy, which I lost at 22 weeks. When we went back to Dr. Kim to try again after our loss, he grieved with us and made us feel like we had a second chance. And we did. We did two back-to-back retrievals and the first embryo we transferred resulted in my now three year old son.
We used the Antagonist Protocol, although I don't really know his rationale for using them. I pretty much put my faith in that he knew what he was doing. Some of the injectables we used were ... Follistim AQ, Menopur, Ganirelix, Ovidrel. I always produced a good amount of eggs, just not necessarily PGD normal ones.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Ann Tepper, then Jennifer Dwyer)
Ann Tepper was my nurse when I got pregnant with the twins...and then when I came back for my eSet with my son. She was great, always very communicative but also very much to the point. Jennifer was my nurse during my remaining two eSet that unfortunately let to a chemical and negative pregnancy test. She was also compassionate and reliable. I loved them both.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
It was an efficient well-oiled machine, with sometimes a bit of a wait in the morning. Weekends are very hectic ... best bet, get there early.
With my insurance, my costs were minimal. The largest cost was PGD/CCS. Other payments were co-pays and some lab fees and minor medication supplies and supplement costs.
After the loss of my twins at close to 22 weeks, I did not want to risk multiples. So it was pretty much eSET or nothing, after that. Dr. Kim agreed.

2013 - 2014, Successful
Dr. Kim truly understood what my husband and I were going through. Him and his wife also dealt with infertility.... so he knows what it does to you and how it changes you. He helped find me clinical studies to help save me money since my insurance didn’t cover IVF.... We started with injectibles. He did recommend we go straight to IVF. I knew he was right because my husbands sperm count, mobility and morphology were all low.
Their strength are all in their numbers. Looking up their SART was what made me switch fertility clinics. Possibly weaknesses might be they [RMA of New Jersey] have taken over another fertility group and opened many more offices since I have been a patient. I am not sure if all the new offices and staff have the knowledge and compassion as the staff back when they weren’t all over NJ. I still would recommend them in a heart beat. Because of them I have my two beautiful twin girls
How was your experience with Thomas Kim at RMA of New Jersey?
As previous stated before Dr. Kim is an amazing man and someone who also dealt with infertility so he knows what it does to you and how it changes you. He helped find me clinical studies to help save me money since my insurance didn’t cover IVF.
Trust his opinions and trust him as a doctor.
Dr. Kim truly understood what my husband and I were going through. Him and his wife also dealt with infertility. Their infertility issues was the reason he switched to reproductive medicine. He always made me feel comfortable and confident which is what you need when you’re in a cycle. You don’t need to be discouraged. He also went out of his way to go my transfer when we wasn’t the doctor on call that day. I recommended him to so many of my friends and those who used him all have their babies now.
We started with injectibles. He did recommend we go straight to IVF. I knew he was right because my husbands sperm count, mobility and morphology were all low. But my insurance covered IUIs so we did those until we maxed out (4 cycles). We then did a natural ivf cycle, it was all completely free. He said chances would work with a singleton pregnancy but it also had low chances of working because it wasn’t a medicated cycle. Unfortunately I didn’t have an egg in the one follicle I produced that cycle. After that we went straight to ivf. I remember worrying that I was getting enough follicles and dr Kim listened to my concerns looked at all the monitoring reports and in the end I had a great retrevial. 19 collected, 15 were mature, 14 fertilized and 8 in total after GENETIC testing.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Lauren Nervi)
My primary nurse was amazing. I loved her. Always so responsive and so smart. All the nurses on staff were amazing as well.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
Their strength are all in their numbers. Looking up their SART was what made me switch fertility clinics. Possibly weaknesses might be they have taken over another fertility group and opened many more offices since I have been a patient. I am not sure if all the new offices and staff have the knowledge and compassion as the staff back when they weren’t all over NJ. I still would recommend them in a heart beat. Because of them I have my two beautiful twin girls
I was always in and out in the basking ridge office. I loved the office itself too. It was beautiful, clean and bright.
Monitoring days/bloodwork days, I had no copay. They performed double IUIs for the cost of one. IVF cost was 10,500 ICSI AND genetic testing was included (part of study)
Rmanj really try to keep your transfer to a minimum of 1 because it is safer on the mother and the babies. However the study I was a part of I had to transfer 2 embryos.
2014, Successful
He is honest, yet open to patient suggestions. Most importantly he gets the job done. He is a very intelligent doctor. I felt like I was in good hands with Dr.Kim....Dr. Kim said he would not consider putting two embryos in me. Flat out told me I was little and I have had a previous fibroid removal sergury...He also recommended testing of the embryos since before I began with him I had 3 losses in a row...once you meet with him you will see how passionate he is about getting you results.
There [RMA - Somerset] strength is in there results! The support services they connect you with and offer. The testing lab on sight. Their availability and skill. Weaknesses: sometimes you feel like you are just on an assembly line. However, work it,it is worth it!...[Nurse] I did not find her to be a good communicator and she was rude...[Monitoring Appointments] I was glad that they started early so I could get to work on time.
How was your experience with Thomas Kim at RMA of New Jersey?
He is honest, yet open to patient suggestions. Most importantly he gets the job done. He is a very intelligent doctor. I felt like I was in good hands with Dr.Kim. I have heard some say he is not the hand holding type. However, what I needed was someone who would be blunt and get us pregnant. We owe him the world! We have our absolute blessing as a result of his skills and talent in the field.
My advise if schedule a meeting or phone call with him, if you need attention. He probably has so many patients to keep track of. However, once you meet with him you will see how passionate he is about getting you results. He is probably spending a lot of time considering and reviewing all of his patient treatment plans.
I could tell he was eager and hard working. I knew he wanted to get results.
Dr. Kim said he would not consider putting two embryos in me. Flat out told me I was little and I have had a previous fibroid removal sergury. I am glad he recommended this. He also recommended testing of the embryos since before I began with him I had 3 losses in a row. This was also awesome! Our transfer was successful using the tested embryos and we were able avoid possible implanting two translocation embryos that would have resulted in miscarriage.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Andrea)
I did not find her to be a good communicator and she was rude. I do not think she is working here any more. I heard his new nurse is nice.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
There strength is in there results! The support services they connect you with and offer. The testing lab on sight. Their availability and skill. Weaknesses: sometimes you feel like you are just on an assembly line. However, work it,it is worth it!
I was glad that they started early so I could get to work on time.
I don't remember, but I was fortunate to have my insurance cover a great deal of it.
He was definitely for SET with testing. He emphasized safety and health for the children and mother

2020 - 2023, Successful
He [Dr. Thomas Kim] was clear and easy to understand. Very straightforward which I appreciated. I felt like he was the best in his field and I felt safe putting my trust in him. During the procedures he was very kind and reassuring. He made it less scary and I felt like everything would work out...Dr Kim only does singles no multiples as it is harder on the body and would be more likely to succeed with one.
Overall really great. Some of the new [RMA of Southern California] staff are inexperienced which could lead to miscommunication. So be on top of everything yourself. Read all documents fully, you don’t want any surprise bills. Really easy to work with...It always felt like they took my case seriously and did their best when problems arose. They were always available and reassuring...Dr Kim only does singles no multiples as it is harder on the body and would be more likely to succeed with one.
How was your experience with Thomas Kim at RMA of Southern California?
He was clear and easy to understand. Very straightforward which I appreciated. I felt like he was the best in his field and I felt safe putting my trust in him. During the procedures he was very kind and reassuring. He made it less scary and I felt like everything would work out.
Be informed about all the pricing before you start.
For the transfer I took estradiol pills and progesterone shots daily. This continues until week 10 of the pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Southern California. (Assigned nurse: Shelly)
Shelly was amazing! She was very informative and always available. She was easy to talk to and it felt like she cared and was invested in our case.
Describe your experience with RMA of Southern California.
Overall really great. Some of the new staff are inexperienced which could lead to miscommunication. So be on top of everything yourself. Read all documents fully, you don’t want any surprise bills. Really easy to work with.
The initial treatments were a set price. After a confirmed pregnancy is when the bills rack up for each ultrasound and blood draw.

2022, Successful
Dr Kim is kind, reliability, and professional! After my consult I knew he was the DR for me because of the human manor he took and the detailed explanations he walked me through. I was never rushed off the phone and every question I had was answered...time to explain my exact age and rates of fertility so set my expectations. Our plan was very custom to me!...The process was simple for my 2 retrievals (one egg freezing and the second embryo freezing). ~2 weeks of injections and then retrieval...
The clinic [RMA of Southern California] is a well oiled machine! I never waited too long and the front desk team is fabulous. Azelia at the front desk was one of the reasons I choose RMA. She was kind and very informative, especially with billing...Clarifying that Emily Wright is a NP and one of the best I've ever worked with. She was also very kind and prompt with her responses! I knew she was reliable since I had a 3pm on Friday issue and she left her personal number for me to call all weekend...
How was your experience with Thomas Kim at RMA of Southern California?
If you're between Dr Kim and another Dr., meet with Dr Kim and you'll understand why all of the high marks.
Dr Kim to time to explain my exact age and rates of fertility so set my expectations. Our plan was very custom to me!
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Southern California. (Assigned nurse: Emily Wright)
Describe your experience with RMA of Southern California.
The clinic is a well oiled machine! I never waited too long and the front desk team is fabulous. Azelia at the front desk was one of the reasons I choose RMA. She was kind and very informative, especially with billing.
I had Progyny coverage which RMA works with regularly and it was a seamless experience.
2012 - 2013, Successful
I was a 40 yr old single woman with a blocked tube. IUI was recommended with the help of Clomid and an objectively that I dont remember. We did IUI on 2 co securities mornings and I was pregnant with twins on that first try...Dr. Kim was was great. I got the results I wanted quickly so I did not need to see him often. He was surprised at how good my eggs were and said I had the eggs of a 34 year old. I trusted him with all procedures.
They were great start to finish. I wish my actual procedure could have been done closer to me ( my office was in West Orange but IUI and genetic counseling was further away in Basking Ridge)...So organized it surprised me. Everything was coordinated seamlessly. Wait times were always reasonable...Dr. Kim was was great. I got the results I wanted quickly so I did not need to see him often. He was surprised at how good my eggs were and said I had the eggs of a 34 year old. I trusted him with all procedures.
How was your experience with Thomas Kim at RMA of New Jersey?
He was friendly and approachable.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
My insurance covered all tests, medications, and care. My out of pocket expense was for the donor sperm and IUI procedure.
West Orange

2015, Successful
He [Dr. Thomas Kim] was a good doctor, knew what he was talking about, was happy to explain things to me, and did not mind being asked questions or explaining his reasoning for things. He did not act like every question I had was questioning his "authority" as a doctor. This was not the case with previous REs. The only thing that I did not like was that he suggested transferring two donor egg embryos. I wanted eSet and he was fine with that.
How was your experience with Thomas Kim at RMA of New Jersey?
He was a good doctor, knew what he was talking about, was happy to explain things to me, and did not mind being asked questions or explaining his reasoning for things. He did not act like every question I had was questioning his "authority" as a doctor. This was not the case with previous REs. The only thing that I did not like was that he suggested transferring two donor egg embryos. I wanted eSet and he was fine with that.
He took the time to meet with me, had clearly read my long infertility history.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Ann Marie)
They were great.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
They were a bit like a bus station waiting room but everyone was kind and compassionate and I didn't feel like just a number.
He suggested transferring two donor egg embryos but I insisted on eSet.

2022 - 2023, Successful
Dr Kim worked up a plan based on my age, weight ( I have a higher bmi) and my previous insecurities with a different provider. He made me feel like we were doing the right thing and gave me a confidence...did a basic egg retrieval followed by a frozen embryo transfer. Due to my age we had all embryos genetically tested.
Clean, great location and great hours to balance work and the procedures. They were also very transparent on pricing. The only weakness is that parking is paid...Every day I received through communication directly from my nurse. She was always there with a positive outlook
How was your experience with Thomas Kim at RMA of Southern California?
Dr Kim worked up a plan based on my age, weight ( I have a higher bmi) and my previous insecurities with a different provider. He made me feel like we were doing the right thing and gave me a confidence I hadn’t had before
Be open minded and understand that infertility treatment is flexible if you are
Dr. Kim worked with me not just a book! He made me feel confident in the plan and his team kept me updated through every step.
We did a basic egg retrieval followed by a frozen embryo transfer. Due to my age we had all embryos genetically tested.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Southern California. (Assigned nurse: Emily )
Every day I received through communication directly from my nurse. She was always there with a positive outlook even when my body wasn’t feeling great. The team kept me feeling positive
Describe your experience with RMA of Southern California.
Clean, great location and great hours to balance work and the procedures. They were also very transparent on pricing. The only weakness is that parking is paid but that’s normal in Los Angeles so it was to be expected
I used my insurance so I am not sure
We did not discuss multiple embryos due to my own desires

2020 - 2023, Successful
1 Egg Freezing With Other Docs
Dr Kim is one of the top doctors in this field. His skill and expertise are enormous...was able to perform a surgical procedure within minutes that a different doctor attempted twice unsuccessfully...bedside manner isn’t the warmest, he is very genuine and cares about his patients...a caring but busy doctor...also very responsive to emails and phone calls with questions of all types...
[RMA of Southern California] is well run, thorough and efficient. They generally communicate well and be as helpful as they can in most instances. It’s important for new patients to come in with questions and to do some of their own reading about things that can increase their chances of succes...Merissa Wowk is my nurse there now. She is also really sweet and prompt at responding to calls and phone calls.
How was your experience with Thomas Kim at RMA of Southern California?
Dr Kim is one of the top doctors in this field. His skill and expertise are enormous. He was able to perform a surgical procedure within minutes that a different doctor attempted twice unsuccessfully. While his bedside manner isn’t the warmest, he is very genuine and cares about his patients.
Ask lots of questions.
Dr. Kim is a caring but busy doctor. The nurses and staff were generally very kind and warm. They were also very responsive to emails and phone calls with questions of all types.
I don’t remember
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Southern California. (Assigned nurse: Shells Carter and Merissa Wowk )
Shells Carter doesn’t work there anymore, but she was amazing. Very prompt in responding to calls and emails, very patient and thorough in explaining and Re-explaining everything to me. Very kind and patient. Merissa Wowk is my nurse there now. She is also really sweet and prompt at responding to calls and phone calls. I haven’t had as much interaction with her as she is new to the team.
Describe your experience with RMA of Southern California.
The clinic is well run, thorough and efficient. They generally communicate well and be as helpful as they can in most instances. It’s important for new patients to come in with questions and to do some of their own reading about things that can increase their chances of succes. Dr Kim also has recommendations in this area. Ask him.

2023, Successful
[Dr. Thomas Kim] was great at explaining certain things and processes...At times, appt's did feel rushed...very nice, kind and gave enough information and sensitive to my needs and challenges...went straight into IVF due to my partner's low count sperm...on HCG and Follistim and progesterone for the egg retrievals...estrogen and Progesterone shots. for the embryo transfer.
[RMA of Southern California] is really effective, they get you in for appointments really early and can accommodate you...their phlebotomists could improve as well...Pooja was my second nurse...She was very on top of answering any questions I had over email, sometimes she'd miss my emails but when I would call she would call me back
How was your experience with Thomas Kim at RMA of Southern California?
He was great at explaining certain things and processes. I did wish that I would have gotten more details to certain procedures or that details would have been volunteered. As a first timer, sometimes I did not know what to ask. i did not know how many days my embryos were given to develop. At times, appt's did feel rushed. At times through the process I felt like I was confused or did not know what was next. Sometimes I had to call to get an update. However, overall I felt like the process went by really fast from my first appt to the embryo transfer. At UCLA I was looking at a 2 month wait period between my first appt and the follow ups.
To ask the Dr to tell you abut what you haven't asked that you may need to know. To not assume that the doctor is telling you everything. ask dr's what are common questions patients ask in your situation.
Dr. Kim and his team were very nice, kind and gave enough information and sensitive to my needs and challenges
We went straight into IVF due to my partner's low count sperm. I was put on HCG and Follistim and progesterone for the egg retrievals. then the estrogen and Progesterone shots. for the embryo transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Southern California. (Assigned nurse: Pooja Patel )
Pooja was my second nurse. The first nurse was not as good so I won't review her since she has left the clinic. however, I wish Pooja would have been my nurse from the beginning. She was assigned when I was preparing for my embryo transfer. She was very on top of answering any questions I had over email, sometimes she'd miss my emails but when I would call she would call me back. She was also on top of informing me of my levels and test results. She was very sweet, nice and positive. I really appreciated working with her.
Describe your experience with RMA of Southern California.
The clinic itself is really effective, they get you in for appointments really early and can accommodate you. I also think that the clinic has a lot going on. At times, my appointments felt rushed and like i did not have time to ask questions. I did not always get to see my doctor but it was nice to get to work with another one or their nursing team because they seemed less rushed. One time, the office manager was having a meeting with their front office team out in the waiting area and discussed strategies for getting more patients in quicker and it was not a good thing for a patient to witness I felt. I think that they are clearly good at what they do, given my success after my first transfer, although that can be bias. their phlebotomists could improve as well. I have never been so hurt from blood drawing, it was not smooth and easy how I have had it at other clinics. they were super sweet and nice though.
I used my insurance which covered 50% of my treatment. I paid out of pocket about 10k

2021, Successful
The office is clean and modern. It feels like a private clinic and the patient experience reflects that. Clinic never felt overrun and was always on time with appointments and monitoring visits. I was of the opinion that the lab and embryologist are equally as important as the reproductive endocrinologist. Dr. Kim and Shelley both made sure to point out how good their lab staff was - which may just be a line but my results speak for themselves. I was a low responder to egg retrieval but had 50% of my eggs end up as viable frozen 5 day embryos after ICSI and PGD testing....
How was your experience with Thomas Kim at RMA of Southern California?
Dr. Kim was very knowledgeable and very approachable. He was mild mannered which made him a good fit for this type of sensitive and emotional treatment. He attended every monitoring visit I had and personally called to report results after the major events and milestone (egg retrieval, embryo growth, transfer etc). At each visit it was clear that he was busy and had a specific window for you - but that window was just for you. While he was in the room he gave his full attention and explained the monitoring etc. And you always new the nurse would be calling you in the afternoon for any and all additional details. I did wonder if my egg retrieval cycles were customized or adjusted enough because I had one failed cycle and was a low very responder (2 eggs, 4 eggs) but I think most of that was just my low ovarian reserve. And my first transfer was successful so I think his technique is good.
Ask lots of questions, especially during COVID-19 when you have less in person appointments and more phone conversations
Dr. Kim and his staff were very friendly. They were very professional and clear with information and were able to delivered all news/updates/instructions in a sensitive manor. There was no ambiguity or misleading info provided. They were always available for questions and would provide thorough info and instructions. I always felt like I had easy access to them. This office was very well run and a VERY different experience from a normal doctor's office, much more private/concierge feeling and they did not seem overrun with patients so each got the attention they deserve. Staff knew your name and were friendly while also respecting privacy.
Cycle 1 - antagonist cycle; 2 eggs retrieved resulting in 2 embryos Cycle 2 - microLupron flare cycle - cancelled Cycle 3 - antagonist cycle; 4 eggs retrieved resulting in 1 embryo
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Southern California. (Assigned nurse: Shelley)
The staff have a huge impact on your infertility treatment experience. They were excellent. Shelley, the office manager/primary nurse was WONDERFUL. Straightforward, very knowledgeable, a lot of experience, good practical tips and tricks, easy to communicate with and reliably called with updates. She was also easy to get ahold of for additional questions. I spent the most time talking to Shelley and she really makes this clinic great. All staff was friendly and professional. My one critique was one nurse who drew your blood was not nearly as smooth as the others - if I had her it was sure to hurt a bit and bruise
Describe your experience with RMA of Southern California.
Fairly new clinic (I believe) so there is only one doctor, Dr. Kim. I believe they are growing and adding more doctors. So I would ask what level of access you will have with your doctor - my access was great but it may change as they get busier. Despite them being a newer location - RMA is a very well established and respected fertility clinic with multiple locations around the US. Their focus on the latest and greatest standard of care was very important to me. They use the latest proven (not experimental) science for their patients. The publishing record and research behind RMA-IVI is impressive. The office is clean and modern. It feels like a private clinic and the patient experience reflects that. Clinic never felt overrun and was always on time with appointments and monitoring visits. I was of the opinion that the lab and embryologist are equally as important as the reproductive endocrinologist. Dr. Kim and Shelley both made sure to point out how good their lab staff was - which may just be a line but my results speak for themselves. I was a low responder to egg retrieval but had 50% of my eggs end up as viable frozen 5 day embryos after ICSI and PGD testing.
I had insurance coverage for fertility care so I only had to pay my annual $3k deductible and then small amounts after that. All of my treatment was within one year. I did pay for the prescriptions out of pocket to use a specialty pharmacy because getting approval for Rx coverage was going to take weeks and I was not willing to wait. So I paid ~ 7k total for 3 egg retrieval cycles plus 1 transfer cycle
RMA standard of care is single embryo transfer except in special cases; I agreed with this strategy

2020 - 2021, Successful
he [Dr. Kim] remembered many details, was kind and always willing to explain and answer questions...Wonderful doctor, nurses and staff. I felt very taken care of going through multiple rounds of IUI and finally a successful round of IVF...Ask lots of questions; he will take the time to answer them all candidly....
I was always able to get someone [at RMA of Southern California] on the phone or through their email/secure message line...Great hours (open early and I never had trouble getting appointments for when I wanted/needed them); I wish they had more up to date technology (very limited online portal, for instance)...She and the other staff at the clinic helped me navigate medications, pharmacies, insurance, work fertility benefits in a way that alleviated my stress - I felt that they were always on my side...
How was your experience with Thomas Kim at RMA of Southern California?
Wonderful doctor, nurses and staff. I felt very taken care of going through multiple rounds of IUI and finally a successful round of IVF. I never had a problem getting an appointment for days/times that worked for me and they were very cautious and considerate during the COVID pandemic as well. I was always able to get someone on the phone or through their email/secure message line; I know friends who went with larger offices who never had a consistent point of contact throughout and feel grateful that I knew pretty much every person in Dr. Kim's office by name (and they knew me by name as well).
Ask lots of questions; he will take the time to answer them all candidly.
Small office - he remembered many details, was kind and always willing to explain and answer questions
Shelli Carter was absolutely wonderful. Very responsive, extremely helpful and knowledgeable. She and the other staff at the clinic helped me navigate medications, pharmacies, insurance, work fertility benefits in a way that alleviated my stress - I felt that they were always on my side.
Describe your experience with RMA of Southern California.
Great hours (open early and I never had trouble getting appointments for when I wanted/needed them); I wish they had more up to date technology (very limited online portal, for instance) but that wasn't my highest priority.
I was fortunate that my work benefits covered it, so I only paid my $4000 out of pocket insurance deductible/max (including for medications). They billed pretty much everything very promptly through my insurance.

2020 - 2021, Successful
Dr. Kim was kind and informative. We chose him because of his bilingual ability, which also came in handy at times. He took the time to explain everything and if we had additional questions, he would answer those as well...Dr. Kim said his clinic would not implant more than one embryo at a time, because they human body wasn't meant to carry more than one (unlike animals). It was less risky to implant one over multiple embryos...
Clinic [RMA of Southern California] is state-of-the-art and clean. They have a lab in-house which makes things a lot faster. Very impressed with their space and resources. Also being part of a big network meant more learnings and resources if needed...Shelli [nurse] was great - very patient and thorough in her explanations. She also helped with any administrative or billing questions I had as well. She also did a lot of the follow-up calls after every appointment to explain the results or procedures.
How was your experience with Thomas Kim at RMA of Southern California?
I would have them ask him to explain the chances/percentages of each of the stages of IVF. i.e. on average, how many embryos before finding a healthy one? or how many eggs per retrieval on average.
Shelli was great - very patient and thorough in her explanations. She also helped with any administrative or billing questions I had as well. She also did a lot of the follow-up calls after every appointment to explain the results or procedures.
Describe your experience with RMA of Southern California.
Some of the other nurses weren't as helpful as Shelli. A couple were not good with drawing blood and had to poke my wife multiple times in one sitting. Also weren't great with follow-up calls when requested. Clinic is state-of-the-art and clean. They have a lab in-house which makes things a lot faster. Very impressed with their space and resources. Also being part of a big network meant more learnings and resources if needed.
only copays under Dr. Kim. However, we had to pay out-of-pocket for anesthesia and then get reimbursed by our insurance company, which was a pain. Wished they would have used someone that takes insurance.