Good

Thomas Kim works at

11500 W. Olympic Blvd., Suite 150
Los Angeles, CA 90064

2021, Successful
The office is clean and modern. It feels like a private clinic and the patient experience reflects that. Clinic never felt overrun and was always on time with appointments and monitoring visits. I was of the opinion that the lab and embryologist are equally as important as the reproductive endocrinologist. Dr. Kim and Shelley both made sure to point out how good their lab staff was - which may just be a line but my results speak for themselves. I was a low responder to egg retrieval but had 50% of my eggs end up as viable frozen 5 day embryos after ICSI and PGD testing....
How was your experience with Thomas Kim at RMA of Southern California?
Dr. Kim was very knowledgeable and very approachable. He was mild mannered which made him a good fit for this type of sensitive and emotional treatment. He attended every monitoring visit I had and personally called to report results after the major events and milestone (egg retrieval, embryo growth, transfer etc). At each visit it was clear that he was busy and had a specific window for you - but that window was just for you. While he was in the room he gave his full attention and explained the monitoring etc. And you always new the nurse would be calling you in the afternoon for any and all additional details. I did wonder if my egg retrieval cycles were customized or adjusted enough because I had one failed cycle and was a low very responder (2 eggs, 4 eggs) but I think most of that was just my low ovarian reserve. And my first transfer was successful so I think his technique is good.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Thomas Kim at RMA of Southern California?
Ask lots of questions, especially during COVID-19 when you have less in person appointments and more phone conversations
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Thomas Kim at RMA of Southern California?
Dr. Kim and his staff were very friendly. They were very professional and clear with information and were able to delivered all news/updates/instructions in a sensitive manor. There was no ambiguity or misleading info provided. They were always available for questions and would provide thorough info and instructions. I always felt like I had easy access to them. This office was very well run and a VERY different experience from a normal doctor's office, much more private/concierge feeling and they did not seem overrun with patients so each got the attention they deserve. Staff knew your name and were friendly while also respecting privacy.
Describe the protocols Thomas Kim used in your cycles at RMA of Southern California and their degree of success.
Cycle 1 - antagonist cycle; 2 eggs retrieved resulting in 2 embryos Cycle 2 - microLupron flare cycle - cancelled Cycle 3 - antagonist cycle; 4 eggs retrieved resulting in 1 embryo
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Southern California. (Assigned nurse: Shelley)
The staff have a huge impact on your infertility treatment experience. They were excellent. Shelley, the office manager/primary nurse was WONDERFUL. Straightforward, very knowledgeable, a lot of experience, good practical tips and tricks, easy to communicate with and reliably called with updates. She was also easy to get ahold of for additional questions. I spent the most time talking to Shelley and she really makes this clinic great. All staff was friendly and professional. My one critique was one nurse who drew your blood was not nearly as smooth as the others - if I had her it was sure to hurt a bit and bruise
Describe your experience with RMA of Southern California.
Fairly new clinic (I believe) so there is only one doctor, Dr. Kim. I believe they are growing and adding more doctors. So I would ask what level of access you will have with your doctor - my access was great but it may change as they get busier. Despite them being a newer location - RMA is a very well established and respected fertility clinic with multiple locations around the US. Their focus on the latest and greatest standard of care was very important to me. They use the latest proven (not experimental) science for their patients. The publishing record and research behind RMA-IVI is impressive. The office is clean and modern. It feels like a private clinic and the patient experience reflects that. Clinic never felt overrun and was always on time with appointments and monitoring visits. I was of the opinion that the lab and embryologist are equally as important as the reproductive endocrinologist. Dr. Kim and Shelley both made sure to point out how good their lab staff was - which may just be a line but my results speak for themselves. I was a low responder to egg retrieval but had 50% of my eggs end up as viable frozen 5 day embryos after ICSI and PGD testing.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Thomas Kim at RMA of Southern California.
I had insurance coverage for fertility care so I only had to pay my annual $3k deductible and then small amounts after that. All of my treatment was within one year. I did pay for the prescriptions out of pocket to use a specialty pharmacy because getting approval for Rx coverage was going to take weeks and I was not willing to wait. So I paid ~ 7k total for 3 egg retrieval cycles plus 1 transfer cycle
Describe Thomas Kim's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of Southern California.
RMA standard of care is single embryo transfer except in special cases; I agreed with this strategy

2020 - 2021, Successful
he [Dr. Kim] remembered many details, was kind and always willing to explain and answer questions...Wonderful doctor, nurses and staff. I felt very taken care of going through multiple rounds of IUI and finally a successful round of IVF...Ask lots of questions; he will take the time to answer them all candidly....
I was always able to get someone [at RMA of Southern California] on the phone or through their email/secure message line...Great hours (open early and I never had trouble getting appointments for when I wanted/needed them); I wish they had more up to date technology (very limited online portal, for instance)...She and the other staff at the clinic helped me navigate medications, pharmacies, insurance, work fertility benefits in a way that alleviated my stress - I felt that they were always on my side...
How was your experience with Thomas Kim at RMA of Southern California?
Wonderful doctor, nurses and staff. I felt very taken care of going through multiple rounds of IUI and finally a successful round of IVF. I never had a problem getting an appointment for days/times that worked for me and they were very cautious and considerate during the COVID pandemic as well. I was always able to get someone on the phone or through their email/secure message line; I know friends who went with larger offices who never had a consistent point of contact throughout and feel grateful that I knew pretty much every person in Dr. Kim's office by name (and they knew me by name as well).
Ask lots of questions; he will take the time to answer them all candidly.
Small office - he remembered many details, was kind and always willing to explain and answer questions
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Southern California. (Assigned nurse: Shelli Carter)
Shelli Carter was absolutely wonderful. Very responsive, extremely helpful and knowledgeable. She and the other staff at the clinic helped me navigate medications, pharmacies, insurance, work fertility benefits in a way that alleviated my stress - I felt that they were always on my side.
Describe your experience with RMA of Southern California.
Great hours (open early and I never had trouble getting appointments for when I wanted/needed them); I wish they had more up to date technology (very limited online portal, for instance) but that wasn't my highest priority.
I was fortunate that my work benefits covered it, so I only paid my $4000 out of pocket insurance deductible/max (including for medications). They billed pretty much everything very promptly through my insurance.

2020 - 2021, Successful
Dr. Kim was kind and informative. We chose him because of his bilingual ability, which also came in handy at times. He took the time to explain everything and if we had additional questions, he would answer those as well...Dr. Kim said his clinic would not implant more than one embryo at a time, because they human body wasn't meant to carry more than one (unlike animals). It was less risky to implant one over multiple embryos...
Clinic [RMA of Southern California] is state-of-the-art and clean. They have a lab in-house which makes things a lot faster. Very impressed with their space and resources. Also being part of a big network meant more learnings and resources if needed...Shelli [nurse] was great - very patient and thorough in her explanations. She also helped with any administrative or billing questions I had as well. She also did a lot of the follow-up calls after every appointment to explain the results or procedures.
How was your experience with Thomas Kim at RMA of Southern California?
I would have them ask him to explain the chances/percentages of each of the stages of IVF. i.e. on average, how many embryos before finding a healthy one? or how many eggs per retrieval on average.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Southern California. (Assigned nurse: Shelli)
Shelli was great - very patient and thorough in her explanations. She also helped with any administrative or billing questions I had as well. She also did a lot of the follow-up calls after every appointment to explain the results or procedures.
Describe your experience with RMA of Southern California.
Some of the other nurses weren't as helpful as Shelli. A couple were not good with drawing blood and had to poke my wife multiple times in one sitting. Also weren't great with follow-up calls when requested. Clinic is state-of-the-art and clean. They have a lab in-house which makes things a lot faster. Very impressed with their space and resources. Also being part of a big network meant more learnings and resources if needed.
only copays under Dr. Kim. However, we had to pay out-of-pocket for anesthesia and then get reimbursed by our insurance company, which was a pain. Wished they would have used someone that takes insurance.
Los Angeles
Dr. Kim explained every procedure, the expectations and risks. Her made sure we understood every step of the process and our odds. He made sure we understood what the entire process would entail so that we could make informed decisions. In addition, he was warm and friendly, setting us at ease and making sure we felt no pressure when making decisions...
Dr. Kim's clinic is clean, quiet, and comfortable. The staff is friendly and welcoming. Parking was easy and the location was easy to find...Costs were bundled into a package option, depending on what was expected for the patient you could choose different options. The packages saved money as a whole over paying for each procedure individually. All costs were explained in detail...
I am not sure
Dr. Kim and his staff were very friendly and kind during every encounter. He answered my questions whether through email, in person, or over the phone. Dr. Kim seemed to take a very personal interest is our success getting pregnant, his warmth and bed side manner are impeccable. I would not hesitate to recommend Dr. Kim to anyone.
My procedure was simple compared to what others may experience. I simply had poor egg quality due to age. We chose donor eggs, I had no medications prior to the procedure. After the embryo transfer I was put on progesterone and estrogen for 12 weeks to increase the chances of implantation and maintaining the pregnancy to the point the placenta was formed. From there I was medication free and carried to term.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of Southern California.
helpful and kind
Describe your experience with RMA of Southern California.
Dr. Kim's clinic is clean, quiet, and comfortable. The staff is friendly and welcoming. Parking was easy and the location was easy to find. I experienced no weaknesses and have no complaints to give. My response must be 200 characters and I am out of things to say, can I please move on
2020 - 2021, Successful
During 2 rounds of egg freezing cycles with RMA, I have nothing but great things to say about Dr.Kim and his entire staff. From my first appt, Dr Kim explained the process to me in a way I could really understand, and was always available to me...Very personal experience from Dr Kim& his staff. With them remembering my name/history throughout my experience - and always being available, never being made to wait...
During 2 rounds of egg freezing cycles with RMA, I have nothing but great things to say about Dr.Kim and his entire staff...the personal care i received from the nurse (Shelley) who was available at every visit, and during both retrievals. She was also on call late at night whenever I needed her...I never had any issues getting an appointment, and was never made to wait...
How was your experience with Thomas Kim at RMA of Southern California?
During 2 rounds of egg freezing cycles with RMA, I have nothing but great things to say about Dr.Kim and his entire staff. From my first appt, Dr Kim explained the process to me in a way I could really understand, and was always available to me. Shelley was incredible, taking my calls at 10pm when I was in a panic - and instantly dealt with my problem. I never had any issues getting an appointment, and was never made to wait. My Progyny health insurance took care of everything else!
This was the best part of the experience - the personal care i received from the nurse (Shelley) who was available at every visit, and during both retrievals. She was also on call late at night whenever I needed her.
Describe your experience with RMA of Southern California.
All covered by Progyny health insurance with a copay