IVF - In Vitro Fertilization
The most complex fertility treatment, this course will help you do it right the first time.
Experts you'll learn from
What you'll learn
IVF is complicated and—while we wish we could say that it's possible to absorb all the details during the 5 - 30 minute visits with your doctor—that's really not the case. This comprehensive guide to IVF boils down every major issue you'll encounter—a high level overview of the IVF process, a deeper dive into the IVF process, IVF success rates and how they differ depending on diagnosis and age, the medication protocols that can be used during IVF, the choice of inseminating eggs either using ICSI fertilization or conventional insemination, the pros and cons of growing embryos to Day 3 cleavage stage or Day 5 blastocyst stage, the decisions around genetic screening of embryos, deciding which embryo to transfer, deciding how many embryos to transfer at once, the ways the IVF laboratory can impact your odds of success and the things you need to know up front to avoid going to the wrong lab for you, the risks of IVF, and the costs of IVF. We're always sure to provide details about how data might be different depending on unique types of patients—because in the world of fertility, it's really not one-size-fits-all. We truly believe this guide is the foundation every fertility patient should start with when they're navigating the world of treatments.
Course Syllabus15 Lessons3h 16m
- Lesson 1 (10 min)What is IVF?
- Lesson 2 (15 min)The Steps and Decisions In The IVF Process
- Lesson 3 (5 min)IVF Success Rates
- Lesson 4 (40 min)Ovarian Stimulation Protocols
- Lesson 5 (10 min)Conventional Insemination or ICSI
- Lesson 6 (23 min)Growing Embryos To Cleavage or Blastocyst Stage
- Lesson 7 (12 min)PGT-A and PGS Genetic Screening of Embryos
- Lesson 8 (10 min)Understanding Embryo BankingIn this lesson we'll cover:
- Lesson 9 (12 min)Which Embryo To Transfer?
- Lesson 10 (20 min)Transferring Fresh or Frozen Embryos
- Lesson 11 (5 min)How Many Embryos To Transfer At Once
- Lesson 12 (7 min)Endometrial Receptivity Testing
- Lesson 13 (6 min)Importance Of The IVF Laboratory
- Lesson 14 (17 min)Risks of IVF
- Lesson 15 (4 min)Costs of IVF
Other courses you might like
We cover how many embryos to transfer, medicated vs. unmedicated cycles, fresh vs. frozen, and the do's and don'ts on transfer day itself.
Giving you the full picture: where it helps, where it doesn’t, and how you might think about this expensive add-on based on your specific priorities.
Lab quality determines success. This course explains how to vet a lab to give yourself the best chance of a good outcome.
Breaking down all the data and information on what endometriosis is, how to best diagnose it, and what the best treatment is depending on who you are
Data on IUI success rates depending on who you are, what it costs, the risks, and how to decide between doing IUI and IVF.
All the data on lifestyle choices and their impact on fertility, including decisions around diet, exercise, drinking alcohol, caffeine consumption, smoking, recreational drugs, and using supplements.
Male factor infertility impacts between a third and half of couples with difficulty conceiving. The primary factors often end up being related to varicocele, hormone issues, or some form of azoospermia. While a semen analysis can help characterize if an issue exists, a sperm count can be variable and difficult to interpret.
ICSI costs $3–$5k but only improves birth rates in specific circumstances (hint: it’s not as simple as “helps with male factor”). We break down when it’s truly helpful.