Getting it Together After the Diagnosis: Making a Plan With Your Partner

When my doctor first used the term “infertility”, I wasn’t sure what to make of the diagnosis. I was only 28 years old and my diminished ovarian reserve made something that was already going to be difficult — starting a family as a same-sex couple — sound more and more improbable. Since my wife has uterine fibroids, she wasn’t the perfect candidate either, but doctors insisted if I ever wanted to conceive, now was the time.

Initially, I wasn’t sure how to unpack all of the information that was thrown at us. There were numbers, percentages, the doctor urging, “Don’t delay, act now”, but my wife and I simply weren’t ready to be parents. As we discussed our options, there were heated arguments, moments of embrace, and the occasional soothing optimism. What was best for us, we decided, was not to “act now”, but to “act thoughtfully”, and to put in place a timeline and budget so we could have the family we wanted, without mortgaging our happiness.

Fertility treatment can feel overwhelming and frantic. We want answers. We need a timeline. We want a guarantee that there will be a baby born at the end of this. Unfortunately for individuals and couples undergoing fertility treatment, the entire process is a roll of the dice, and for those of us who are not gamblers, decision-making can feel impossible.

Sam and I learned a lot of lessons in undergoing various treatments, at multiple clinics, over the years. We’ve emerged closer than ever, and sitting here at eight months pregnant, I can look back and acknowledge that there are a few things we got really right, and a few things I wish we could do over. Here are a few that stick with me, many months later.

Get on the phone with your insurer immediately

It’s important to go into fertility treatments knowing what is, and is not, covered. Are you covered for IUI or IVF? Will your provider cover the cost of fertility medications? Getting these answers will help you and your doctor decide the best course of action. If your insurance company, for instance, will cover the cost of IUI, but not IVF, then your doctor might be willing to try this method for a longer period of time before moving onto a more aggressive option.

As a woman in a same-sex marriage, I was faced with a lot of uncertainty when dealing with my insurance company. Like many insurance providers, mine had no definition of infertility for same-sex couples, and in hindsight, I should have spent more time researching — and potentially switching insurance providers — to find a plan with which I felt effectively covered. Had I switched sooner, I likely would have had my IUIs covered, and once those failed, possibly some of my medication for IVF treatment. Instead, I’ve paid for nearly all of it out of pocket, many thousands of dollars in aggregate.

Put in the hours to decide on a doctor

Fertility doctors and clinics differ dramatically, and so you need to familiarize yourself with what’s out there, and what truly matters to you as a patient. You might want a doctor who has the highest success rate, even if that means she never has enough time to answer all of your questions. Maybe you prefer a doctor who spends time with you and is available when you need him. When we started our journey, we preferred the latter over the former, but as our prospects changed, so did our priorities. When it came time to make a change, we knew what was out there, and we acted decisively. It proved to be the right call.

One thing that gets overlooked is that fertility treatment means spending a lot of time at the doctor’s office. Convenience and location may seem like puzzling criteria for something so important, but this is a delicate process, and missed appointments add needless stress, which can compromise your chances of success.

Make a plan with your partner (if this applies to you).

There’s something about infertility that makes potential parents feel like they have to be willing to wipe out their life savings to deserve a child. This isn’t true, and it’s important to have real conversations about your budget. The move from IUI to IVF, for instance, can mean jumping from spending $1,000 per treatment to more than $15,000. And many IVF patients require multiple treatments before they are successful. Set limits for yourselves so that your quest to parenthood doesn’t cause unnecessary resentment concerning your financial future.

Maybe this means deciding beforehand how many rounds of IVF you’re prepared to undergo, or whether or not you’re comfortable taking fertility medication. The “how far are we willing to go” talk was an important one for my wife and me, and after many conversations, we found a sperm donor ($800 per vial), underwent IUI ($1,000 - $2,500) and then eventually IVF ($15,000 - $25,000), feeling completely united. This kind of support is vital when you’re not only spending thousands of dollars but also preparing to put a lot of emotional and physical stress on your body or bodies.

Clear your schedule

Okay, you don’t have to clear it, but fertility treatments are going to take up a lot of your time and most of your headspace, so if possible, dial it back on your calendar. Marathon training might have to wait until next year, and vacations may need to be postponed. The more time you have to focus on your wellness, the better. Once I began nightly IVF injections, for instance, Sam and I knew we needed to be home every evening around the same time for weeks to come, which meant fewer after work commitments and dinners out with friends. I also needed Sam to help me with injections, which meant she couldn’t travel for work. Fertility monitoring often takes place early in the morning and clinics are notoriously late, so if possible, adjust your schedule accordingly.

Stick together

Sam and I realized early on that we needed to be united in our quest for motherhood. If you’re going to welcome a healthy baby into a healthy home, then both you and your partner need to nourish your relationship and yourselves. It didn’t always come easily, but Sam and I tried to communicate openly every step of the way. This meant actually listening to each other, and respecting each other’s wishes and concerns. Even if you don’t initially agree on some aspects of your fertility journey, I suggest keeping an open mind and an open heart and valuing that this will not simply be your individual child or your individual future, but the one you’ve created together, in unity. As with parenthood, there’s really no right way to prepare for fertility treatment. Give yourself and your partner some extra TLC as you enter into this phase of your life. Stick together and no matter the outcome, you won’t have to feel alone in any of this.

How We Might Treat South Asian Women Differently
As a field we're beginning to appreciate that women of different ethnicities may require unique treatment to achieve comparable outcomes. Here, Stanford professor Val Baker eluciates some of the nuances in treating women of a South Asian background.
Expert's Perspective
How Long Are Frozen Eggs and Embryos Good For?
IVF treatment is a relatively new treatment, and egg and embryo freezing are newer still. So do we know how long these gametes can be safely stored and still work?
The Male Fertility Evaluation: Enhances Options and Signals of Future Health
20 - 25% of U.S. couples annually undergo IVF without having the male partner properly checked. This drives tens of thousands of unnecssary treatments, as well as needless cost and suffering. What's more, bypassing this crucial step causes us to miss a vital signal into that man's future health.
Expert's Perspective
Is it safe to ship cryopreserved eggs (and embryos)?
Patients are increasingly eager to ship their eggs and embryos to clinics out of town, out of state and out of the country. Vitrification has made that a far more delicate process. Peter Nagy, Ph.D helps explain the outcomes, steps and costs associated with shipping gametes from one clinic to another.
Freeze Eggs or Embryos?
When the option to freeze embryos is available to patients, many disregard the option to freeze eggs. Owen Davis, ASRM President, weighs in on why egg freezing is still an important option to consider.
From MacBooks to MAC Cosmetics: How Our Daily Routine Impacts Fertility
Dr. Cooper lays out the evidence on the products & habits that harm fertility, and realistic steps we can take to protect ourselves
Improving IVF Success Rates: Using Low Oxygen in the Lab
Selecting a clinic is as much about selecting their laboratory as anything else. A key determinant of lab quality is the conditions they use to culture embryos. Using low oxygen in the incubator is preferable, yet a third of laboratories don't do this.
Early Pregnancy Loss
Early pregnancy loss is the only focus of the team at Montefiore-Einstein in NYC. Here are some of their high-level observations on how to deal with the medical challenges.
Why I Didn't Choose Reproductive Immunology After Miscarriage
After undergoing IVF for secondary infertility, Elissa was blindsided by a miscarriage of a PGS-tested normal embryo. She kept reading online about immunological causes and treatments, so she used her background in reporting to get to the bottom of the treatments behind the chatroom hype.
What We Never Expected About Reciprocal IVF
Christina and her wife Katie decided to bulid their family using Reciprocal IVF. Christina walks us through what turned out how they expected, and what didn't -- including the financial costs, choosing sperm donors, IVF success (and failure), recognition by the state, and having the outside world accept them as equal mothers.
Personal Story
Marriage & Male Infertility: Not on the Same Page and That’s O.K.
Men and women often deal differently with the emotional impact of infertility. How important is it for us to see everything the same way?
Twiblings: Being Pregnant During Surrogacy
Some hopeful mothers fear that having a child through surrogacy will be less special or intimate. For those who wonder, meet Nancy Rohde, who carried her own child, and had a baby through surrogacy, at the same time.
Wrangling With Reduction
Many patients undergoing fertility treatment ultimately need to grapple with the notion of whether it is safe to have a multiple pregnancy. Katie Ferraro talks about her decision not to selectively reduce during her quadruplet pregnancy.
CRISPR, Gene Editing and IVF
Gene-editing in IVF made a big breakthrough this month and the CRISPR technology is now a reality. Here we catch up with Paula Amato and the team from Oregon Heath Sciences behind latest breakthrough.
Medical Research
The best starting point in treating PCOS? It’s not Clomid.
PCOS is responsible for 80% of cases where a woman isn't ovulting. A new study compared pregnancy success of clomiphene citrate (clomid) vs. letrozole (femara), with some strong results.
Weight Loss and IVF
The average American woman has a BMI in the high 20's. So for women undergoing IVF, with a BMI in the low-mid 30's, does weight loss improve rates of success? A team from Sweden ran a thoughtfully-conducted trial that offers up surprisingly complex answers.
IUI or IVF For Unexplained Infertility
Roughly 30% of infertility cases are labeled "unexplained," so how should patients decide between IUI vs IVF when we don't know the underlying issue? Here's one clue for a narrow subset of the newly-diagnosed "unexplained" population.
Does Your Clinic Influence If Your Embryos Are Good
Theoretically, the quality of your eggs and sperm should determine the quality of your embryos. However, this month we're reviewing data that shows which clinic you go to, and how they care for you and your embryos, could be a crucial determinant.
Medical Research
When IVF Babies Grow Up, Are They Healthy?
An Israeli study rigorously followed up with adults who were conceived via IVF, and compared their cognitive function, medical and mental health with naturally conceived peers. This is a unique study focusing on the long-term health of IVF babies and adults.
When One IVF Cycle Completes All Your Family Building Goals
For some IVF patients a single cycle can deliver two children through two pregnancies. For many Americans, two children is the ideal number. So who are the best candidates for "one-and-done" IVF in a safe and responsible manner?
Why It Matters Which Doctor Performs Your IVF Transfer
According to FertilityIQ data, 70% of patients have a different doctor perform their transfer. Scott Morin and Eric Forman of RMA New Jersey study to what extent that matters.