Personal Story

A Relationship + Low AMH: Deciding Between Freezing Eggs or Embryos

It’s only when a new situation presents itself that you realize just how unprepared you really are. Wouldn’t it have been nice if a high school class taught us about 401K investments, or what to do when you get food poisoning in Peru? Or it would have been really great if I had learned anything in my lifetime about fertility, particularly before getting my diagnosis of Diminished Ovarian Reserve (DOR) at the age of 31.

I had been in a committed relationship for eight and a half years before learning I had DOR, but that doesn't mean this diagnosis made me or my boyfriend suddenly ready to be parents. In fact, it may have done the opposite. We hadn’t yet discussed if or when we were going to have kids - we were still trying to discuss marriage, our careers and what city we might end up in. But my 0.45 AMH was grim, and our options were medical intervention or straight up, natural trial-and-error to gauge just how bad it really was.

After careful consideration of these paths and a whole lot of crying, I realized trying to get pregnant immediately was not the right answer for me. I hadn't decided if I wanted children at all, and I couldn’t now make that decision under the extreme and sudden pressure I was experiencing. I also knew, however, that I couldn't live with myself if I gave up the opportunity to ever have kids. There was only one thing for certain: I needed more time.

I dove into the options. Research suggested my chances would be more successful if this was a "joint venture" and my boyfriend and I created and saved embryos, versus freezing my eggs alone. So that's what we agreed. But we made this extremely important decision in between his crazy travel schedule, while I was navigating a new job, and with an unfortunate series of half-conversations. We reviewed pricing over and over again, and while he was on the other side of our country, I charged my credit card.

When it came time to go over the details in person, however, he froze. He wasn’t ready for this choice and felt rushed. I on the other hand, felt like he just took away any chance I had at a successful pregnancy. We had this conversation on my way to work – a car ride that is unforgettable in the most painful way. I cancelled the embryo freezing, received a refund like I was returning a pair of shoes, and walked into my office. Just like that, I had nothing again.

But I started to see what my boyfriend might be thinking. This is not the type of decision you can make unless you’re 100% sure and 100% ready, which is a deceptively easy thing to say. In reality, it means knowing exactly what would happen if we separated. Do we sign legal agreements that I could still use our embryos? Would I still want to use those embryos if I hated him? But then if I didn't use them, would I have no other option for a baby? Where would we even start in drafting an agreement? Did we have the time to find a lawyer? I started to forgive him for that car ride.

So I signed the metaphorical pre-nup. I made the choice to only freeze my eggs. I was nervous that I might only get a few eggs, and that I’d lower my chances for success even further if I didn’t fertilize those eggs immediately. Those are unknowns that ultimately didn’t define how I made this decision. But it did define what happened next.

What it came down to was my uncertainty that this man is ready for any of this: marriage, babies and the like. And I needed to make sure I was doing everything I could to preserve all of my options for the future. A future that may or may not include him. While even though I wish with everything in me that we’ll remain together, I couldn’t bind us with something so important to both our futures. This is literally our DNA. What’s more permanent than that? And it was because of his decision to take back his offer that led me to the conclusion that not only could we not make the future commitment of our DNA, we hadn't even made the present commitment to each other. His refusal to participate in embryo creation launched a set of year-long conversations about our future together as a couple, for which I'm grateful and exhausted.

But the truth is even if my boyfriend and I were perfectly happy with no relationship issues to speak of — does that even exist for any couple? — I hope I would have still chosen to freeze my eggs instead of embryos. Because while it isn't easy, and at times I even felt guilty, like I was removing him from the equation, this was a medical issue brewing inside my body, forcing my hand. These eggs are mine, and only I can decide what to do with them, when the time that I need comes. The idea of then linking that power to another person feels like I would have been giving up that control. I would have been sacrificing all of my own possibilities in order to provide our relationship flexibility. I’d like to think I would have realized I deserve better.

So now, at a time when women’s choices over their bodies has never been more relevant, I couldn’t feel more right about this decision. When I think of these events, I feel empowered, brave, and most importantly, it feels right.

And suddenly - figuring out how to invest in my 401K seems really, really easy.

Related Courses
67k

Learn More
Preparing you to be a confident self-advocate as you make decisions around fertility preservation.
Mount Sinai, Columbia, +3 more
6k

Fertility 101

Learn More
You took sex ed, but now you need to understand fertility. Data to answer your questions about natural conception and diagnosing what might be wrong.
Northwestern, Cornell, +7 more
9k

The IVF Laboratory

Learn More
Lab quality determines success. This course explains how to vet a lab to give yourself the best chance of a good outcome.
CCRM, Columbia, +6 more
63k

Lifestyle Choices, From Diet To Supplements

Learn More
All the data on lifestyle choices and their impact on fertility, including decisions around diet, exercise, drinking alcohol, caffeine consumption, smoking, recreational drugs, and using supplements.
Yale, Stanford, +4 more
27k

Learn More
Does acupuncture & traditional Chinese medicine really make a difference for fertility? See the data on IVF, other fertility treatments, and trying naturally with acupuncture and Chinese herbs.
15k

Learn More
Breaking down all the data and information on what endometriosis is, how to best diagnose it, and what the best treatment is depending on who you are
Stanford
13k

ICSI

Learn More
ICSI costs $3–$5k but only improves birth rates in specific circumstances (hint: it’s not as simple as “helps with male factor”). We break down when it’s truly helpful.
Columbia, NYU, +6 more
339k

IVF - In Vitro Fertilization

Learn More
The most complex fertility treatment, this course will help you do it right the first time.
Columbia, CCRM, +7 more
304k

IUI or "Artificial Insemination"

Learn More
Data on IUI success rates depending on who you are, what it costs, the risks, and how to decide between doing IUI and IVF.
Columbia, Stanford, +6 more
37k

PGT (PGS) Genetic Screening

Learn More
Giving you the full picture: where it helps, where it doesn’t, and how you might think about this expensive add-on based on your specific priorities.
Cornell, NYU, +6 more
73k

Embryo Transfer

Learn More
We cover how many embryos to transfer, medicated vs. unmedicated cycles, fresh vs. frozen, and the do's and don'ts on transfer day itself.
Columbia, NYU, +3 more
Related Lessons
Ovarian Reserve Screening & Egg Freezing

FSH, AMH, AFC, E2. Keeping straight the tests fertility doctors use can be incredibly difficult. Interpreting their meaning can be harder still. Here Eve Feinberg, one of the program directors at Northwestern, helps put it all into context for women considering egg freezing.

Freeze Eggs or Embryos?

When the option to freeze embryos is available to patients, many disregard the option to freeze eggs. Owen Davis, ASRM President, weighs in on why egg freezing is still an important option to consider.

Expert's Perspective
Is it safe to ship cryopreserved eggs (and embryos)?

Patients are increasingly eager to ship their eggs and embryos to clinics out of town, out of state and out of the country. Vitrification has made that a far more delicate process. Peter Nagy, Ph.D helps explain the outcomes, steps and costs associated with shipping gametes from one clinic to another.

Freezing Eggs or Embryos: A Therapist's Perspective

The decision of whether to freeze eggs or embryos can have profound near-term and long-term implications. Here is how one of the leading fertility therapists in the U.S. guides her patients to think through the quandry.

Expert's Perspective
How Long Are Frozen Eggs and Embryos Good For?

IVF treatment is a relatively new treatment, and egg and embryo freezing are newer still. So do we know how long these gametes can be safely stored and still work?

Egg Freezing, Vitrification & Judging Your Lab’s Track Record

With every passing year, fertility treatment relies more and more upon the laboratory's ability to freeze and thaw gametes. Vitrification has forever changed how we store eggs and embryos, and yet the process requires a fair amount of experience, specifically when it comes to egg freezing. Peter Nagy, one of the fathers of vitrification, helps patients ascertain whether their lab is experienced enough to trust.

+ Show More Articles