What to Say & Not Say

What to Say

It can be hard to know what to say to a friend or colleague who’s in the midst of the fertility treatment process.

While different people may prefer to hear different things, most experts and patients agree there are some simple, useful do’s and don’ts.

Generally speaking, something honest, concise and sympathetic is appreciated. Namely, “I’m so sorry, or “I’m so sorry and I’m here if you want to talk” are great responses. As is, “let me know if there’s anything I can to support or cover for you.”

Your co-worker may not be ready to talk (let alone dwell) at that moment so making your words earnest and brief (and allowing them to take the next step) is often best.

You're previewing
Workplace Guide to Fertility: For Colleagues

Fertility treatments are incredibly stressful and, mixed with the stress of work, things can boil over. This is a guide for co-workers to understand what their colleagues are going through, so that they can help create a supportive workplace environment. We cover everything from the things you should say & the things you should avoid saying to your co-workers, to the ways that fertility treatments will concretely impact work schedules.